A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/E6] Rizban's E6 Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Would you ant to allow song of the heart, special instruments, or any inspire courage boosters to affect the troubadour's aura? Obviously it doesn't as written and I suspect that is intentional, though I could see perhaps allowing certain instruments to give a bonus (if you tie up a hand or hands to play, you are paying a mechanical price for the bonus as you aren't using those hands for fighting).
    I had originally planned for one of the auras to be Inspire Courage and function effectively identically to the existing 3.5 ability, allowing such effects to stack. Doing such would seriously ramp up the power of this class, requiring me to lower the effectiveness of the Inspiring aura. At 6th level, the troubadour is already effectively using inspire courage as a 14th level bard. I don't really see the need or have the desire to further empower that ability... However, I suppose I could lower it to only increasing to +2 at 6th level or not improving at all and then allow all of those abilities to stack for that one aura...

I can understand, fluff-wise, why the various abilities only apply to social skill uses, not the in-combat applications, but it seems that a buff to feinting wouldn't be over-powered or out of character for a troubador. I am not aware of any in-combat uses for diplomacy or gather information and intimidate isn't on the list, so it seems like a small boost for a niche combat option. Would it weight the class too heavily toward assassins and their sneak attack?
    While you do make good points, I made that decision based on two factors. First, it was a specialization decision. Troubadours are good in social situations, and combat isn't really a social situation. Second, I didn't want them to be outright better at feinting than the gladiator, as combat maneuvers are the gladiator's main shtick.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't wait to see those traps and auras. I might just end up playing a troubadour/trapsmith now... Brawler is still looking awfully good though.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    I had originally planned for one of the auras to be Inspire Courage and function effectively identically to the existing 3.5 ability, allowing such effects to stack. Doing such would seriously ramp up the power of this class, requiring me to lower the effectiveness of the Inspiring aura. At 6th level, the troubadour is already effectively using inspire courage as a 14th level bard. I don't really see the need or have the desire to further empower that ability... However, I suppose I could lower it to only increasing to +2 at 6th level or not improving at all and then allow all of those abilities to stack for that one aura...
    It scales pretty nicely as is, keeping it at a low level then allowing feats and items to boost it seems a bit of a tax. I wasn't complaining to begin with, more musing on possibilities.
    While you do make good points, I made that decision based on two factors. First, it was a specialization decision. Troubadours are good in social situations, and combat isn't really a social situation. Second, I didn't want them to be outright better at feinting than the gladiator, as combat maneuvers are the gladiator's main shtick.
    Asked and answered. Though flat-footed from feinting would be handy for the assassin archetype, that can be achieved without the extra boost anyhow.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-03-07 at 11:01 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

It scales pretty nicely as is, keeping it at a low level then allowing feats and items to boost it seems a bit of a tax. I wasn't complaining to begin with, more musing on possibilities.
    As was I. Not charging a feat tax was essentially why I decided to change the ability entirely. I've got some other plans for it too, but you'll have to wait a bit to see those.

I know I said I'd have the traps and auras up, but I've been dealing with some pretty serious headaches the past two days. I doubt I'll have time to get them finished and posted this weekend, as I intend to go to the rodeo with my girl. I'll see if I can get them posted come Monday.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

As I said in another thread:
    My grandmother is very ill and has recently undergone major brain surgery. She is currently not doing well and suffering from repeated seizures. I probably will not be posting for awhile until things are more... 'normal.'
    I have not abandoned this project and have several things almost, but not quite, ready to post here. As soon as I have some time to finish them, I'll get them posted.

1Edit: I've fixed some minor errors, improved the formatting, and changed a few abilities. Most notably:
    • All Classes: I have introduced Medium Base Saves, reducing the good saves of some of the classes to medium and increasing the poor saves of other classes to medium.
    • Class: Sentinel DR has been reduced.
    • Class:Troubadour's Quick Thinking, Mental Resistance, and Fortune's Friend have been made slightly stronger.
    • Archetypes: Added a table for quick reference.
    • Archetype: Assassin now has a proper Greater Power.
    • Archetype: Beastmaster has returned! I'm still not sure how it got deleted...

I am currently focused on the Inspiring Auras and will post those next.
    I'm also close to finishing the following classes:
    • The Expert - Skillful - An Int based class focused on skills and tricks
    • The Zealot - Combat - A paladin like class that also uses Inspiring Auras
    • The Battle Caster - Magic - An arcane gish class with warlock like abilities
    • The Priest - Magic - A divine casting class
    • The Magus - Magic - Your standard spellbook wizard class
    Upcoming Archetypes
    • Black Mage - Magic/Combat - Negative energy focus (Priest/Zealot only?)
    • Blue Mage - Magic - Incarnum! (sort of)
    • Green Mage - Magic - Druidic class
    • White Mage - Magic/Combat - Positive energy focus (Priest/Zealot only?)
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-03 at 03:51 AM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I went ahead and posted the Expert as I already had it. It's only missing it's capstone abilities and needs a little polishing. I'm still not really happy with all of it, but it's good enough to post.

I haven't had time to really edit anything significant yet, but I will have the auras up as soon as I get the time.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-03 at 07:59 AM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Finally got the Inspiring Auras posted.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I've read through the stuff so far, and it looks good from a "want to play this as a pc/use this as a DM" perspective. I'll get around to looking at internal balance in my next post.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

So, I've been tinkering with a few things, and I've decided to rework how I will do the magic classes. I've finalized the Magus, which is mostly unchanged, and have decided to drop the Priest in favor of the Augur and rework what I have so far on the Zealot.

Blue Mage is being reworked into a Combat/Skillful Archetype instead of a Magic Archetype, as it has now become incompatible with the new magic classes. Black and White Mage will probably be combined into a single Priest archetype, which will be available to any Magic Class as well as Zealot. Green Mage will be changing the least.

I will be posting the Magic Classes as soon as I have the Augur in a more finished state and have at least two Magic Archetypes to post.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-10 at 03:42 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Reading the expert now...

Since you can spent insight points on skill checks, if there any way to get this bonus outside an encounter? With a factotum (as I'm sure you know) you can only get a bonus on skill checks once per day per skill, presumable because so many skill checks occur outside of combat.

I think it would be good to clarify if the bonus is unlimited use outside of combat, not usable at all, or something else.

Regarding specializations: the base bonuses seem the most powerful for the sage, as a high INT character with a ton of skills points can craft anyway and how often to profession checks come up? Identifying monsters (+ knowledge devotion) is more useful in most adventures. Have to see how the knacks balance.

Crafting - Quality workmanship and imbued creation really stand out. Should add a clause regarding whether the cost reduction from efficient construction would apply to imbued items. As written it says masterwork, but by level six that isn't much money, so getting a discount on magic items would be handy.

Professional - whoa cohort! Yeah, they rest are interesting fluff abilities, but their utility is going to be entirely dependent on campaign style. Cheaper items is nice. Could be fun in a city sandbox campaign (Aldhaven?).

Sage - Expansive Knowledge...nice, but if you have 8 Sp a level + INT on an INT heavy class, will you ever be untrained in a knowledge past level 1 or 2? I suppose it gives you the option, so its worthwhile. yeah, looks like the sage would be handy in a fight once knowledge devotion is online. It basically becomes a class feature disguised as a feat.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Reading the expert now...

Since you can spent insight points on skill checks, if there any way to get this bonus outside an encounter? With a factotum (as I'm sure you know) you can only get a bonus on skill checks once per day per skill, presumable because so many skill checks occur outside of combat.

I think it would be good to clarify if the bonus is unlimited use outside of combat, not usable at all, or something else.
    Something not being combat doesn't make it not an "encounter." You have social encounters with people every day. I intended it to be unlimited uses per day but only once in any given situation. I might need to find a way to incorporate some wording to that effect in the ability to make it clear.

Regarding specializations: the base bonuses seem the most powerful for the sage, as a high INT character with a ton of skills points can craft anyway and how often to profession checks come up? Identifying monsters (+ knowledge devotion) is more useful in most adventures. Have to see how the knacks balance.

Crafting - Quality workmanship and imbued creation really stand out. Should add a clause regarding whether the cost reduction from efficient construction would apply to imbued items. As written it says masterwork, but by level six that isn't much money, so getting a discount on magic items would be handy.
    I did not intend to give a discount on crafting magic items beyond the masterwork cost. Remember that the masterwork bonus on attack rolls is an enhancement bonus that doesn't stack with magic, but if you have Quality Workmanship, that's practically a +2 weapon at no additional cost, saving you money already. The crafting specialization is most powerful when you're making equipment for your party.

Professional - whoa cohort! Yeah, they rest are interesting fluff abilities, but their utility is going to be entirely dependent on campaign style. Cheaper items is nice. Could be fun in a city sandbox campaign (Aldhaven?).
    This one is definitely very campaign dependent, but being in or around a town or city makes this specialization useful. There are a few other uses for the Profession skills, such as Profession (sailor) checks made to run a ship. Additionally, a cohort is pretty powerful, and this will almost certainly be the only way to gain one outside of the Leadership feat.

Sage - Expansive Knowledge...nice, but if you have 8 Sp a level + INT on an INT heavy class, will you ever be untrained in a knowledge past level 1 or 2? I suppose it gives you the option, so its worthwhile. yeah, looks like the sage would be handy in a fight once knowledge devotion is online. It basically becomes a class feature disguised as a feat.
    Sage is, strangely enough when you consider the concept, the most combat focused of the knacks. Expansive Knowledge is pretty meh, but it's a clone of the same ability available to the Crafting and Professional specializations. Know Weakness requires investing 30 skill points just to be able to use it with all Knowledge skills (54 to max it out), and it's the 'main' feature of the Sage. So, I'm not terribly concerned about there being too many skill points floating around.
    Sage is also the most 'solo' of the specializations. Crafting helps outfit the party, Professional adds one more party member for support, but Sage only helps out himself and is a bit of a know it all.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Very good. I suspected most of that would be the case but figure it is good to ask. Plus it saves others from asking later.

Let's see, sage skill points at level 1 = 8 + 3(Int assuming a modest 16) = 11 x4 = 44 points, letting you keep the important knowledges all maxed.

The +2 MW bonus is definitely sweet though. Any expert can use knowledge devotion to boost combat prowess, but no one else can craft like that. Even if it doesn't stack with enchancements from enchanting your still can be +2 attack (MW) +1 damage (+1 enchantment) + whatever other enchant you put on it, making it almost as good as a +3 equivalent (+2 enhance, +1 other), only losing 1 damage in comparison.

Wouldn't want to dump CHA either, as UMD is as good as ever and very needed for the magic item crafter.

For the encounter power, perhaps one could be ignoring/allowing allies to ignore DR for INT mod rounds?
    Last edited by stack; 2013-04-10 at 02:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Very good. I suspected most of that would be the case but figure it is good to ask. Plus it saves others from asking later.

Let's see, sage skill points at level 1 = 8 + 3(Int assuming a modest 16) = 11 x4 = 44 points, letting you keep the important knowledges all maxed.
    Leaving you with 20 skill points, yes. That's still more than half your points per level to Knowledge skills.

The +2 MW bonus is definitely sweet though. Any expert can use knowledge devotion to boost combat prowess, but no one else can craft like that. Even if it doesn't stack with enchancements from enchanting your still can be +2 attack (MW) +1 damage (+1 enchantment) + whatever other enchant you put on it, making it almost as good as a +3 equivalent (+2 enhance, +1 other), only losing 1 damage in comparison.
    I'm considering changing the magic item crafting rules so that weapons and armor are not required to have a +1 bonus before picking up special features. Since items are limited to a total of +2 in E6 due to caster level restraints, Crafting would become even better...

Wouldn't want to dump CHA either, as UMD is as good as ever and very needed for the magic item crafter.

For the encounter power, perhaps one could be ignoring/allowing allies to ignore DR for INT mod rounds?
    The main reason I don't have capstone powers yet for Expert is because of the Magus. In some ways, it is the "Expert" of the Magic Classes and has some abilities similar to what you just suggested. Now that I have it finalized, I can make capstone abilities for the Expert without having bad overlap.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-10 at 02:38 PM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Changelog
    • Class: Added the Augur (Missing one of the three capstone abilities)
    • Class: Added the Magus
    • Class: Added the Spellblade

I am currently finishing up the magic archetypes and will post them either later tonight or tomorrow. Reading the magic classes should give you a feel of what to expect from the archetypes.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-10 at 07:53 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Love what I'm seeing. I'll have a more detailed response when the archetypes are up.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

So the spell lists drawn from and arcane/divine will be determined by archetype? Interesting.

You might want to state that the vigor channel for the auger has no duration but can be refreshed to restore temp HP (or list a duration if it is supposed to have one). Very nice ability, by the way. The whole class is an interesting mesh of psionic and other mechanics.

I love the spellblade so much that I'm worried I might overlook flaws. I see that you can't hold a charge when channeling spells, which hurts, but is balanced by the eldritch blast. Some will complain that it gets full BAB and 3rd level spells, but BAB is a bit tricky in E6 since the difference between medium and poor is only +1. Obviously the full BAB is needed to make full-attack channeling a possibility. Wait...unlimited casting up to 3rd level? Whoa. Have to wait on the archetypes to be sure, but that seems REALLY strong even with the spells known limitation. Have to see how it balances out once other stuff is done. I'm a little worried spellblade's will totally overshadow the melee.

Might want to put in language for handling crits with channeled spells/blasts, just for clarity.

Also, how does meta-magic interact with the spellblade? If they can just meta any spell into a slot up to 3rd level it might have interesting implications.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-04-11 at 11:15 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Background suggestion - Diplomat: bonus per the other skill backgrounds, make diplomacy checks as a standard action (or take 10, whichever fits better).

ed - Also, an archetype that grants (hostile) spell resistance and bonuses to disrupt enemy casters would be cool, unless that will fall under the purview of the unreleased zealot or other future class?

Do you plan any partial-casting archetypes for the combat and skillful classes? It looks like the caster classes will have to take caster archetypes to get spells and the noon-caster classes don't have the chassis to cast anything, so archetypes granting 1st and 2nd level spells in limited fashion and the mechanics to use them might be good.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-04-11 at 11:26 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

So the spell lists drawn from and arcane/divine will be determined by archetype? Interesting.
    That is correct.

You might want to state that the vigor channel for the auger has no duration but can be refreshed to restore temp HP (or list a duration if it is supposed to have one). Very nice ability, by the way. The whole class is an interesting mesh of psionic and other mechanics.
    I'll probably make it last 1 minute per mote spent or something. Augur was actually more inspired by the spell point variant than by psionics, but it's basically the same thing. I initially was using the cleric spell point progression from Unearthed Arcana for it, then I increased it to psion power point progression. I eventually gave it the same progression as the Magus plus a little bit. It gets spell points equal to the magus' number of spells at each level * their minimum caster level (disregarding cantrips) + 3. So, at 3rd level, it's (5*1 + 3*3 + 3) = 17. I felt like that plus the bonus motes would be enough to power spells and class features, but it definitely needs some play testing to see where it balances. I'm tempted to just drop the +3, sacrificing a little on spells/day for the versatility.

I love the spellblade so much that I'm worried I might overlook flaws. I see that you can't hold a charge when channeling spells, which hurts, but is balanced by the eldritch blast.
    That was completely intentional, since you can cast every round anyway. I felt like letting you hold a charge makes it too powerful. I really did not want full attacking and channeling outside of the capstone.

Some will complain that it gets full BAB and 3rd level spells, but BAB is a bit tricky in E6 since the difference between medium and poor is only +1. Obviously the full BAB is needed to make full-attack channeling a possibility. Wait...unlimited casting up to 3rd level? Whoa. Have to wait on the archetypes to be sure, but that seems REALLY strong even with the spells known limitation. Have to see how it balances out once other stuff is done. I'm a little worried spellblade's will totally overshadow the melee.
    I can't tell you how many times I went back and forth changing that 6th level max from 2nd to 3rd and from medium to full BAB. I frankly lost count after about the 15th edit.

I've just about decided to drop it to 2nd-level max spells and lower it to 3/4 BAB. The full attack capstone ability would then allow you to make a second attack at -5 just as if you had full BAB. I really think that might be for the best, but I'm going to finish up a few of the archetypes to see how they play out before I commit to those changes.

Might want to put in language for handling crits with channeled spells/blasts, just for clarity.
    Agreed. I'll edit that in when I get the magic archetypes posted.

Also, how does meta-magic interact with the spellblade? If they can just meta any spell into a slot up to 3rd level it might have interesting implications.
    I'm going to go with the sorcerer route on that and make metamagic increase the casting time to a full-round action. This has the implication of metamagicked spells not being usable with spell conduit, which I think works just fine.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-11 at 01:54 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

If you do any playtesting here on the boards, I want in. I ran a scenarios playtest for gnorman's stuff last year before I dropped off board for a long time. Obviously it has to wait until the first draft is done.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Background suggestion - Diplomat: bonus per the other skill backgrounds, make diplomacy checks as a standard action (or take 10, whichever fits better).
    Sounds like a good idea. I've really neglected the backgrounds, but I needed to get the classes and archetypes in a better position before I could make balanced backgrounds.

ed - Also, an archetype that grants (hostile) spell resistance and bonuses to disrupt enemy casters would be cool, unless that will fall under the purview of the unreleased zealot or other future class?
    I like it. There isn't a core class that will have that ability.

Do you plan any partial-casting archetypes for the combat and skillful classes? It looks like the caster classes will have to take caster archetypes to get spells and the noon-caster classes don't have the chassis to cast anything, so archetypes granting 1st and 2nd level spells in limited fashion and the mechanics to use them might be good.
    Zealot will be a partial caster Combat Class following in the style of the Augur. It will be able to pick any Combat Archetype, because it's a Combat Class, but it will have a special caveat allowing it to choose any Magic Archetype. This will allow a zealot to be combat focused and use its motes only on its class abilities or to be magic focused and have a spell list but lose out on combat options.
    I'm not planning any other half-caster classes at this time. There will be one or two magic based archetypes for the Combat and Skillful classes, such as Blue Mage, but I'd like to keep spells mostly to the Magic classes.

If you do any playtesting here on the boards, I want in. I ran a scenarios playtest for gnorman's stuff last year before I dropped off board for a long time. Obviously it has to wait until the first draft is done.
    I'll definitely send you an invite when that game goes live.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-11 at 02:08 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Spellbreaker
    Spoiler
    Show
    Magic holds no terror for those who know its weaknesses.

Prerequisites: Spellbreaker is available to any Combat or Skillful class.
    Archetype Skills: A spellbreaker gains spellcraft and knowledge (arcana) as class skills if he does not already possess them.
    Archetype Proficiencies: A spellbreaker gains no additional armor or weapon proficiencies.

Archetype Features
    Lesser Archetype Power
    • Spell Resistance (Su): The spellbreaker gains spell resistance equal to 10+class level against hostile spells.
    • Witch Hunter (Ex): The spellbreaker gains favored enemy (as a ranger of his level) against all creatures you cast spells (arcane or divine) or spell-like abilities.

Moderate Archetype Power
    • Disrupting Blows (Ex): If an enemy capable of casting spells or SLAs is successfully hit and damaged by a spellbreaker's attack, that enemy's next spellcasting attempt or SLA use automatically fails unless it makes a Will save, with the DC equal to 10 + half the spellbreaker's class level + the spellbreaker's Charisma modifier. A spellbreaker gains a +4 bonus to identify hostile spells.

Greater Archetype Power
    • Break Spell (Su): A spellbreaker may cast a targeted version of Dispel Magic as a supernatural ability once per encounter, with a caster level equal to twice his level.

Capstone: An Spellbreaker adds one additional option to her class' capstone ability.
    • Brawler Quick Target (Ex): as a free action, the brawler may gain a 20% miss chance vs hostile spells for 3 rounds
    • Gladiator Disruptive (Ex): for 3 rounds no enemy within the gladiator's reach can cast defensively.
    • Sentinel Spell Shield (Su): for 3 rounds, the sentinel can extend his spell resistance to his ward if his ward is within 5'.
    • Acrobat - Reflect Spell (Su): whenever making a successful save against a targeted spell, or when a targeted spell fails to penetrate the acrobat's spell resistance, he may redirect it back to the caster as per spell turning
    • Expert - Wise Council (ex): for 3 rounds all allies who can see and hear the expert gain an insight bonus on all saves equal to the experts INT modifier.
    • Troubadour - Try Again (su): as a free action, for 3 rounds all enemies must roll twice and take the worst result when trying to pierce the troubador's spell resistance
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-09 at 03:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Something I just noticed about the Brawler:

It modifies the critical threat range and multiplier of a weapon, but it doesn't specify how it stacks or not with other similar effects. While most of those are beyond the scope of E6, it's probably safer to go ahead and specify that just in case someone finds something which does at E6 levels.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I had intended for it to stack with them, as it adds to rather than multiplies. Keen, Improved Critical, et al still do not stack. This is a special benefit unique to the Brawler (and certain archetypes).

On another note, I have the Green Mage archetype completely finished and am only tweaking the spell list on the Priest archetype. When I finish Priest, I'll post both of them. It will definitely be today sometime. Strike that. I'll publish what I have now and finish up the spell list for Priest after.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-04-11 at 04:06 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Changelog
    • General: Posts changed up a little and formatting updated to make the project more readable and give an extra empty post for more information
    • General: Spells section added!

• Class: Augur Skill list edited.
    • Class: Spellblade Skill list edited. Reduced to 3/4 BAB. Spell progression changed. Surging Conduit capstone power changed.
    • Class: Brawler Critical Strike ability specified to stack with similar abilities.
    • Class: Troubadour Minor edits for spelling and grammar.

• Archetypes: All archetypes have been edited to give proper names to all abilities. This will allow extension of the abilities through feats and other options much, much easier in the future. Hopefully, this will also make it more friendly to new players.
    • Archetype: Green Mage added!
    • Archetype: Priest added! (domains forthcoming)
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I like the looks of the new magic class archetypes very much. My only question is if it's deliberate that green mage spellblades will learn 60% more spells than priest spellblades?
    Last edited by planswalker; 2013-04-11 at 08:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see what you're talking about... Could you please elaborate?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice. I really like the magic classes. Love how you took the spellcasting out of the classes themselves. I could totally see a Magus Priest and an Augur Priest arguing over who is more devoted to their god. The one claims he is, because he's spent years in study and learning all the rituals, but the other claims he is, because the god directly channels power to him.

I'll try to get a more comprehensive review up later, but this looks awesome. We've got another two or three months on the campaign we're playing now. If you can get this a bit more complete, I'll show it to my DM and see if he'll run it in real life.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Typo:

Rejuvenation, Greater
    Conjuration (Healing)
    Level: Green Mage 1 (should be 3, obviously)

On to more substantive matters. I agree with bringing the spellblade down a notch. Unlimited 3rd level castings was overpowering. I'm still a little concerned about the effectiveness of channeling shocking grasp with power attack and wraithstrike (depends on the spell lists, I suspect wraithstrike will either be gone or bumped a level) vs mundane melee, but really love the class anyhow. Interestingly, spellblades also make the best turn/rebuke undead chassis due to CHA focus. So yeah, spellblade (priest) is a nifty paladin out of the box.

Eager to see the rest of the mages.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, so my responses will be in bold, and I'm going to go through pretty much everything. I find its easier this way than quoting things, and I'm sorry if it makes you twitch. I'll post these by each post.

Post One- Lo'! The Introduction!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have long enjoyed playing low level D&D and found E6 back when it was first published years ago. For those of you who have never heard of E6, it can be summed up as a gritty, semi-heroic way of playing D&D where characters never progress to a level beyond 6th. More about E6, its rules, and its philosophy can be found here: E6: The Game Inside D&D.

Please note I've never played E6, and so while I might have a good comprehension of what's what, my advise and critique overall might reflect that. I unfrotunately can't look at the link at work, but I'll give it a looksie at some point soon to be better. I'll also try and look through grammatical and wording and stuff too, though a quick scan shows me you don't need help in that aspect as much! Still I'll keep an eye out...

Table of Contents

I love this table of contents set up. Very clean. Well done.

1Classes, Archetypes, and Backgrounds

As a design philosophy, characters are defined by three core elements, their class, archetype, and background.

The class will be familiar to anyone who has played D&D. It is the basic chassis for your character, the piece that defines your abilities, skills, and party role. While that continues to be true in this project, players will find that each character class is far more narrowly focused than in standard D&D. The class is the skeleton, the base for a character's abilities. Each class focuses on two very specific game mechanics and a specific party role. Each class develops on that core mechanic, with a few minor supporting abilities, to make a very focused and specific class.

So basically you stripped down the classes to what makes the class unique, and left them at that. Any fancy things or branches you put in the archetypes. Makes sense. And something I've not seen quite that way before, so I'm interested to see how this plays out! But more on that later...

Now, you may be thinking that it's too focused, but I disagree. You see, that's where the archetype comes in. The archetype is the muscle of the skeleton. Each class chooses an archetype, gaining that archetype's abilities at 1st, 3rd, and 6th level. Each archetype is a unique set of powers that broadens what a class can do and allows a single class to have multiple different specialties. It's even possible to have a whole party made up of a single class and each player still have a unique character.

I like the analogy of the body - bones, muscles, so on - it really brings understanding to what you're trying to accomplish, and that's always a good start to any system. Well done. Alright, so these archetypes are at the character's primary level, mid progression, and capstone. Do you have anything for in between each of these levels? Well, lets see...I'm going to guess its made up for in the class itself. I'll hold you to that whole "party be one class but still be unique" thing! (that's one of my favorite things about E6 influenced projects, in my experience - the versataility of classes to be exactly what you want the charater to play as.)

The final part, the background is the skin of the character. It has the least mechanical effect and is largely of a role playing aspect; however, each background adds minor tweaks and abilities to a character. These minor abilities play a critical role in defining just how a character acts by giving the character options that others do not. While most archetypes have some kind of restriction on them as to which classes may select them, all backgrounds are open to all characters.

In the second sentence, I'd change the beginning word from "It" to "This element". I like the idea, so I'll get more into it there. But- for overall feel for this first post, you do a good job of showing three things -

1. Your "Why this compendium" post lets me know that know what you're talking about.
    2. You're very organized in setting this up, and that's always attractive.
    3. You're explaination really intrigues me from the get go, and makes me want to give this a read.

Some may think a lot of these things in the first post would be better just in the actual areas the actual elements are (or in the case of your "why this compendium, not at all), but I'm a firm believer of introductions before you get to the meat of the project. Knowing why you're doing this project is always great for me, because it lets me know how much you've considered the project before starting it. A lot of people get an idea, put up half of it and drop it or let it fall by the wayside, so I like to know if someone is dedicated or not before getting excited about it. Though, this IS Rizban we're talking about. That should be assumed with you! Alright...enough with the fluff. Next response to follow.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-04-12 at 09:39 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see what you're talking about... Could you please elaborate?
    Green mages gain the SNA spells of appropriate levels in addition to their other spells known. By my understanding, this means a 6th level green mage spellblade gains 5 spells from off his spell list, and then the three SNA spells in addition to that. Comparatively, the priest spellblades instead use their domains as their spell lists, with no bonus spells known unless I'm missing something.

Granted, the three extra spells are rather redundant all together so it's really more like 1 extra spell known at three castable spell levels, but extra spells known seems like a very powerful thing for an at-will-limited-number-known class to have.