A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/E6] Rizban's E6 Compendium

Keep in mind that I wanted to tilt these toward being a bit stronger than your average 6th level character. I pretty much expected them to be able to do CR 7-8 as you would normally expect them to do CR 6.

Look at the CR 8 stone giant. It has a +22 Grapple modifier. If you're a Gladiator/Breathstealer, then your main shtick is grappling. You should be able to grapple that stone giant if you want, and you can. You can't do just a whole lot else, so I really don't see the problem with it.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    (Wombat's Review of) Combat Classes(Part 3!)
    The Sentinel

Spoiler
    Show
    Role: The sentinel is master of defense, a wall made flesh. His entire goal is to protect his allies and draw the enemy's attacks. Among all the classes, he is most uniquely suited to taking punishment and remaining standing against all odds.

So one question I have is this guy is the technical opposite of the Brawler, I anticipate it to have the opposite focus - not very great with damage, but hard to hit. Or perhaps more accurately, can take a hit. So while the first is a meat grinder, this one is a meat shield.

{table=head]|
    Base Attack[div]Bonus[/div]
    |
    Fort[div]Save[/div]
    |
    Ref[div]Save[/div]
    |
    Will[div]Save[/div]
    |Special|
    Warding[div]Bonus[/div]
    |
    Damage[div]Reduction
    [/div]
    1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Archetype power (lesser), warding, iron hide|
    +1
    |
    1/–
    |
    2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Provocation|
    +1
    |
    2/–
    |
    3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Archetype power (moderate), uncanny dodge, guarding strike|
    +2
    |
    2/–
    |
    4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Battle hardened, in harm's way|
    +2
    |
    3/–
    |
    5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Improved uncanny dodge|
    +3
    |
    3/–
    |
    6th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Archetype power (greater), impregnable defense|
    +3
    |
    4/–
    |[/table]

I notice that this one gets one more save bonus at starting level than the other two. Why does the 5th level not progress the reflex and instead bumps it up at level 6?

Hit Die: d12
    Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level): Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Holy crap not much in the way of skills. Alright, I've found one nerf. Lets see if there's others to even it out with the other two...

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of The Sentinel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A sentinel is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

I mentioned most of this in my last post. An interesting thought I had was if each class was only proficent with one type. So the Brawler stays the same with light, the Gladiator with only medium, and the Sentinel with only Heavy. This gets me thinking about equipment, and the natural question regarding it - what is starting gold for each class, or whatever you might have as an equivelent?

Archetype: At 1st level, the sentinel chooses an archetype from the list below. He gains the advantages and abilities of the archetype at the appropriate levels, as indicated in the class table. Once made, this choice is final.

Warding (Ex): Once per round as a move action, a sentinel may select one willing ally within 5 feet. This ally becomes known as the sentinel's ward. All bonuses and abilities a sentinel gains from having a ward or that affect a ward and abilities and bonuses that a ward gains from the sentinel apply only as long as the ward is within 5 feet of the sentinel. However, the chosen ally remains the sentinel's ward until the sentinel chooses a new ward or the ally refuses to be the sentinel's ward, regardless of distance between the two.
    At first level, a sentinel's ward is treated as having cover from attacks, regardless of the sentinel's position in relation to the attacker. This grants the ward a +4 cover bonus to AC.
    As long as the sentinel's ward is within 5 feet, the sentinel gains a dodge bonus to AC equal to his Warding Bonus as listed on the class table.

Alright, the "All bonuses and abilities a sentinel gains..." sentence needs a better wording or a better break up...it's just a bit confusing in the middle. Perhaps something like - "So long as the ward is within 5 feet of the sentinel, both the Sentinel and its ward may each apply the bonuses and abilities gained from the Warding ability." Or something. There's just too many "ward"s and its awkward. So basically, I can choose a member of the party who is next to me to be my ward they reap the benfits, but if they move elsewere, they lose it until they're within 5 feet of me again. If they don't gain the bonuses if they are not next to me, why not make it so they can choose anyone within line of sight, since it doesn't matter until they're next to you anyway? Also, I thought cover granted miss chance, not additional AC? Is this an E6 thing?

Last, that's a lot of AC bonus to someone who is next to you. If I were writing it, I'd have likely made the bonus a progression, or give the Sentinel a flat bonus and make the ward bonus a progression, but that may just be a different strokes for different folks thing.

What if since the sentinel is providing cover, there is a percentage chance that the Sentinel is attacked instead of the ward? If you don't like it that's fine, its just a logical conclusion I had given that I imagine this AC bonus to be the Sentinel physically granting AC. As in, with attacks, if someone misses, as a DM this could mean they whiffed, or their attack bounced off the armor harmlessly. Well if the Sentinel is granting the armor, in my mind wouldn't it be the Sentinel getting the attack?

Iron Hide (Ex): A sentinel gains damage reduction X/-, according to the class table.

Does this DR count for everything? Verses certain things?

Provocation (Ex): Once per turn as a move action, a sentinel may provoke a number of targets equal to his Constitution modifier within 30 feet to attack him, ignoring any other targets. Affected opponents must make a save at the start of their next turn (Will DC 10 + 1/2 the sentinel's class level + his Con modifier + his Warding bonus if his ward is within 5 feet). If an opponent fails his save, the sentinel is the only creature that opponent may attack this turn. The opponent may move and perform non-hostile acts (such as healing) as normal. This effects lasts for one round but ends immediately if the sentinel is killed or falls unconscious or if the affected enemy loses sight of the sentinel or is attacked by another creature before it makes its Will save.

What if the provoked person is blocked by other targets? Might want to put something in about the target will not blindly walk through Attack of Opportunity areas or something like that. Basically, they don't get dumb just because they will only attack you. I don't know if I'd make it a per turn thing. This reminds me of the Knight class, which has Challenges. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it. But anyway, I see this ability as an interesting form of crowd control, but easily abused if it can be changed every turn. I provoke Bandit A, they come into melee range with me. Next turn I provoke Bandit B. Bandit A is already in melee with me, and will have to incur an AoOp to go where they'd been before, and so might as well stay, thus continuing what Provoke started. I can keep doing this until all enemies are either engaged with Sentinel, dead, or being provoked as other members of the party attack them so that they can't attack back. So in other words, while at good crowd control and definately is useful, I see it as a very spammy ability, that could be bettered by a "cannot provoke again until current provoke units are dead or cease to be hostile" or something of the sort. Or an attack from another enemy person disrupts it or something. Ah, well at least there's that...barring that they are not Provoked after the attack, thus nullifying the weakness.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 3rd level, a sentinel retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a sentinel already has uncanny dodge, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

This and improved uncanny dodge are excellent feats for this class. Scary, but excellent.

Guarding Strike (Ex): Opponents in a sentinel's threatened squares provoke attacks of opportunity from the sentinel when they make a melee attack against any target other than the sentinel. If the target of the attack is the sentinel's ward, he gains his warding bonus as a circumstance bonus on his attack roll.

This mixed with provoke is a very powerful combo. I assume attack of opportunity rules still apply as in 3.5 in terms of you only get a certain amount per round (equal to your Dex I think?). You don't just get a free attack of opportunity for each person, in otherwords.

Battle Hardened (Ex): At 4th level, if a sentinel makes a successful Fortitude saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage or a reduced effect on a successful save, he instead takes no damage or negates the effect. A helpless sentinel does not gain the benefit of battle hardened.

Evasion, but with Fortitude? Interesting!

In Harm's Way (Ex): If the sentinel's ward is the target of an attack, and the ward is within 5 feet, the sentinel may exchange places with his ward as an immediate action. This action must be declared before the attack is resolved against the ward. The sentinel becomes the new target of the attack, and the attacker may not change his target for this attack. The ward gains a dodge bonus to AC equal to the sentinel's warding bonus until the ward's next turn.

This is an interesting ability. It reminds me (granted without the range) of the spell that allows me to switch places with a willing target. Not quite the same but cool.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level, a sentinel can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the sentinel by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has sentinel levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

It seems you must have copied and pasted this, because it says "rogue", which judging from your classes, doesn't exist as is.

Impregnable Defense: Once per encounter, a sentinel may choose to use one of these abilities. All abilities are activated as a free action unless otherwise stated.
    • Peerless Bodyguard (Ex): For one full round, the sentinel grants total cover to his ward. This ability may be activated as an immediate action.
      Since partial cover granted +4 to AC, what would total cover be? Would it make sense to continue with miss chance with both, partial being 50% and full being 100%? Or is it double the AC bonus? Or do you prefer it as is?
    • Unbreakable Shield (Ex): As an immediate action, the sentinel negates all damage from a single source against himself or his ward.
      A cool at the last second ability, I can see it being used for moments of drama. If I didn't have someone set as a ward could I set the person next to me as my ward and make this happen immediately, or would they have to be my ward previously? Does this count for death spells like phantasmal killer or some such? Does it have to be before a save is made? This still counts along the same 5 foot limitation for the ward, so I don't have to worry about distance, he'd be right next to me.
    • Shrug It Off (Ex): As an immediate action, the sentinel treats a single Fortitude, Reflex, or Will save as if he rolled a natural 20. He must make the decision to use this ability before he actually rolls his save, and he does not roll any dice.
      All of these are passive abilities, and all of them fit the class well. I see unbreakable shield and shrug it off as being very similar, save one is for a sentinel AND a ward, and this one is just for the Sentinel.

Spoiler
    Show

This class seems to have a lot going for it. Not having reflex and (much) less skills at this point seems to be the only cons to being a damage sponge (both in HP, and AC, not to mention DR) and then we've got all the Armor and Weapon proficiencies, and a better save modifier progression. So, the class has a lot going for it, but I'm not seeing the drawbacks to wiegh out very well in comparison to the other two. The abilities are also fairly strong, and not exactly where I anticipated this going, but they make sense, and I like them in a general sense, even if I had a lot to say on them. I was wondering at the beginning if you'd go in the direction of increasing the range a ward can be for the benefits to remain in affect, or an ability that grants you more than one ward at a time (mass death ward anyone? ) and was surprised when it didn't come up. I love the dynamic between the ward and the sentinel, and find this introduces a lot of neat roleplaying in battle.

Overall, you have 3 nice unique classes. I'll keep an eye on these when comparing the other groups, so that I not only get the sense of balance between each combat class, but also each group and class overall. I feel that perhaps a little more balance between the light and heavy might be warranted, but I also see your thought process behind the whole progression of classes and like it and it makes sense.

And unless I think of anything else, or you have any other questions, thus ends Combat Classes! Up next: Skillful Classes!
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-05-03 at 10:27 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

Firstly, this is really cool. I used to lurk on these boards a lot, but everything just started blurring together and got kind of old. I recently game back and found this and gnorman's compendium. Very nice. Personally, I like this concept better because I'm a sucker for the mix and match aspect of it.

However, I have noticed something a bit odd. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a spellblade with the priest background gets infinite healing at 1st level due to having at will access to cure light wounds. I'm assuming based on what little I know of E6 playstyle that this isn't intended. The only solution I can come up with off of the top of my head would be to move the priest's healing to a sort of lay on hands ability instead of the cure spells.

While thinking about that something occured to me though. Gish classes are notoriously hard to get the right balance between warrior and caster without overshadowing either. At will spellcasting systems also have some compatability issues when drawing from a vancian/rescource depletion model (Note that the Warlock came with it's own spellcasting system using invocations rather than just a spell list for precisely this reason). Anyways, this made me wonder if perhaps the spellblade is biting off more than he can chew by trying to do both at once. After all, part of the charm of melding combat and magic is having a mix of limited rescources and always on sword swings (IMO). Perhaps there is a way to work in spellblade as a magic archetype that buffs the caster to be more of a frontline battlecaster? Or perhaps even a combat archetype that grants some limited spellcasting ability. Of course this is your baby and I'm not trying to tell you how to raise it, just some food for thought.

As I said at the beginning though, this is some great stuff. Hope my input is of use to you.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the input, Kerleth.

I had decided to edit the spellblade a bit based on an idea I saw somewhere else. I just hadn't gotten to it before the DDoS hit the site. Basically, I'm going to take a page from breath weapons and add a 1d4 round recharge delay on spells cast by the spellblade. This will limit his spells in battle and make them more of a limited resource, as they should be. This won't, however, remove his unlimited casting per day. I'm almost 100% sure of this decision, though I'd like to hear what some other people think about it.

As most optimizers know, healing in combat is not a particularly effective tactic. I don't personally see a problem with a Spellblade/Priest having unlimited healing outside of combat.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

Eh, it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it definitely is something that doesn't appeal to everyone's preferred playstyle. I like to mix things up and play different ways. Also, it is the only class that has access to it, so it could potentially become a must have for even a slightly optimized combat based party. Must have classes do have a tendency to reduce variety in play. Also, it does seem odd that the character that is based around mixing magic and swordplay has unlimited magical access while the pure mages can run out of spells.......

Just FYI, I'm not trying be a party pooper. The spellblade thing just kinda jumped out at me. I know that I myself tend to get more info from constructive criticisms than "OH MY GOD!!!! This is Awesome. I especially like the Infinity +1 Sword of DOOM".

That said
    OH MY GOD!!!! This is Awesome. I especially like the Infinity +1 Gladiator of Doom. Haven't got to give them all a good look yet though, so I reserve the right to fan girl squee over a different class later.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

If your chief concern is absolute highest number of spells per day, then Spellblade is going to be your default choice for the same reason that warlock or dragonfire adept would be your default choice in standard 3.5. Unlimited spells per day doesn't necessarily mean "best caster" though. The three Magic classes are pretty well delineated. 1) Highest caster level. 2) Widest spell knowledge. 3) Strongest combat ability.

If you want to be the party heal bot, then, yes, Spellblade/Priest is pretty much your go to combo, much like, as mentioned above, Gladiator/Breathstealer is your go to grapple monster. In fact, most healer focused clerics tend to end up being combat focused as well, so Spellblade is really just a good fit anyway. I do not see this as a design flaw. Yes, certain class/archetype combos will be the best at one particular aspect. This is completely intended. They will not, however, be the best at everything. I've worked hard to make this such that no class is The Batman who can do it all, but a system where there is no room to excel, making everything equal, is going to be boring at best or unplayable at worst.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-01 at 02:05 AM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Dragonfire adept has breath weapons at will, but can tack on power ups to make it have a delay. Maybe do that? I mean... d4 round instead of each round is a significant hit to his signature ability.

This easily cuts his combat power in half. Worse, it divides it by approx 2.5 (avg roll of a d4).

If you think spell blade is over twice as powerful, sure do that. But I don't think it is.

At least let him put eldritch blast in his blade during the cool down period.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

He can already put the eldritch blast in his weapon, and there is no cool down on eldritch blast. This is not "Spellblade can only cast every 1d4 rounds." This is "Spellblade can only cast a specific spell every 1d4 rounds." His casting isn't being limited as severely as you seem to have thought. It just prevents the spamming of a single spell in every round. Yes, there is a potential that all of his spells will be waiting on cool down and unable to be cast, but he still has his weapon and his eldritch blast until he can cast again. While it is a hit on his power level, I think that this (or something like this) is necessary for maintaining a proper balance.

Edit: I think that you may even like the new version better when you see the way I'm going to do it. Before I commit to it though, I'll post the new version here in the thread for comparison.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-01 at 03:03 AM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

I did misunderstand. Your explanation alleviates all my concerns.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

A cooldown would also reduce concerns of the greenmage spellblade spamming summons and just flooding the field. I like the idea, makes you cycle through your spells, plus as noted gets more use from your eldritch blast, which before wouldn't have got much play if you had a decent damage spell to channel. The variable cooldown my be annoying to track though, but that will have to be seen in play I guess.

As for out of combat healing, I'm not concerned. It matters at level one. After that the spellblade will just be saving the cost of a wand of CLW/lesser rejuvenation. 750 GP isn't breaking anything.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-01 at 07:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Role
    So one question I have is this guy is the technical opposite of the Brawler, I anticipate it to have the opposite focus - not very great with damage, but hard to hit. Or perhaps more accurately, can take a hit. So while the first is a meat grinder, this one is a meat shield.
    Yes, that's my intention with this class.

I notice that this one gets one more save bonus at starting level than the other two.
    Yes, while the other two Combat classes get one Good, one Medium, and one Poor Save, the Sentinel gets two Good and one Poor save.

Why does the 5th level not progress the reflex and instead bumps it up at level 6?
    Because that's when poor saves normally progress...

Class Skills
    Holy crap not much in the way of skills. Alright, I've found one nerf. Lets see if there's others to even it out with the other two...
    This is definitely the least skilled class...

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    I mentioned most of this in my last post. An interesting thought I had was if each class was only proficent with one type. So the Brawler stays the same with light, the Gladiator with only medium, and the Sentinel with only Heavy.
    I really would prefer to not pigeonhole them such that they are only proficient with one type of armor. I like the idea, but I just don't really want to go there with this.

This gets me thinking about equipment, and the natural question regarding it - what is starting gold for each class, or whatever you might have as an equivelent?
    I was planning to include that when I got more of the system completed and could better judge what would be balanced. I do have tentative values in my own notes, but I'm not ready to post them. Sentinel will definitely be getting more starting gold than Brawler though, because he'll want to invest more into heavier armor.

Warding (Ex)
    Alright, the "All bonuses and abilities a sentinel gains..." sentence needs a better wording or a better break up...it's just a bit confusing in the middle. Perhaps something like - "So long as the ward is within 5 feet of the sentinel, both the Sentinel and its ward may each apply the bonuses and abilities gained from the Warding ability." Or something. There's just too many "ward"s and its awkward. So basically, I can choose a member of the party who is next to me to be my ward they reap the benfits, but if they move elsewere, they lose it until they're within 5 feet of me again. If they don't gain the bonuses if they are not next to me, why not make it so they can choose anyone within line of sight, since it doesn't matter until they're next to you anyway?
    I agree about the wording. It's really not very clear and needs a rewrite. I wasn't sure how to state things, so I'm grateful for the input. That gives me a good direction to start thinking.

Also, I thought cover granted miss chance, not additional AC? Is this an E6 thing?
    Nope. Cover grants bonus AC. Concealment grants a miss chance.
    Cover is shooting at someone from behind a tree, making you a harder to hit target.
    Concealment is hiding in the shadows, making your exact location harder to determine.

One thing that disappointed me about 3.5 was the simplification of cover. In 3e, you had 1/4 Cover (+2 AC), such as when standing behind a short wall or fence that blocks part of your body; 1/2 Cover (+4 AC), such as from behind a tree, inside a building at an open window, behind a creature; 3/4 Cover (+7 AC), leaning around a corner; 9/10 Cover (+10 AC), looking through a barely opened door or through an arrow slit; and Total Cover (Breaks line of effect and line of sight), completely behind something, like a wall.
    In 3.5, you have only Cover (+4 AC) and Total Cover, as above.
    The nice thing about having cover in 3.5 is that it prevents attacks of opportunity from being used against you. There is a caveat that there are ways to get improved cover, gaining +8 AC, but it's less well defined than in 3e.

Last, that's a lot of AC bonus to someone who is next to you. If I were writing it, I'd have likely made the bonus a progression, or give the Sentinel a flat bonus and make the ward bonus a progression, but that may just be a different strokes for different folks thing.
    +4 is standard for cover, and you already potentially get this bonus from ANY creature near you. If a creature, even an enemy, stands between you and someone attacking you, you gain a +4 cover bonus to AC due to that creature being in the way. Missing an attack because of this cover bonus has no chance of accidentally hitting the intervening creature. That's standard 3.5 D&D rules.
    This aspect of the Warding ability doesn't do anything but let the Sentinel count as standing in the way, even when he isn't actually in the way. It isn't so much a new ability as it is a slight bonus to existing standard rules available to all characters.

To change any of that, I'd have to change the bonus type to something other than cover and pretty much create a whole new subsystem. Do note that the warding bonus also does not apply to the ward's AC, just the Sentinel's AC as a dodge bonus.

Iron Hide (Ex)
    Does this DR count for everything? Verses certain things?
    Against everything. That's what DR X/- means. This is the same type of damage reduction gained by the 3.5 barbarian.

From the SRD, "When a damage reduction entry has a dash (-) after the slash, no weapon negates the damage reduction."

Provocation (Ex)
    What if the provoked person is blocked by other targets? Might want to put something in about the target will not blindly walk through Attack of Opportunity areas or something like that. Basically, they don't get dumb just because they will only attack you. I don't know if I'd make it a per turn thing. This reminds me of the Knight class, which has Challenges. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it. But anyway, I see this ability as an interesting form of crowd control, but easily abused if it can be changed every turn. I provoke Bandit A, they come into melee range with me. Next turn I provoke Bandit B. Bandit A is already in melee with me, and will have to incur an AoOp to go where they'd been before, and so might as well stay, thus continuing what Provoke started. I can keep doing this until all enemies are either engaged with Sentinel, dead, or being provoked as other members of the party attack them so that they can't attack back. So in other words, while at good crowd control and definately is useful, I see it as a very spammy ability, that could be bettered by a "cannot provoke again until current provoke units are dead or cease to be hostile" or something of the sort. Or an attack from another enemy person disrupts it or something. Ah, well at least there's that...barring that they are not Provoked after the attack, thus nullifying the weakness.
    As a note, this ability was derived from the Knight class, the Goad feat, and the Jester class (from DragMag Compendium). Note that this ability isn't a one target ability. It provokes a number of creatures equal to the Sentinel's Constitution modifier.

The point you mentioned about the AoO is pretty much exactly as I intended it.

As written, the ability doesn't actually force them to approach the Sentinel. It only prevents them from actively attacking another creature for a single round. It doesn't force their actions or drive them into a blind rage but rather "focuses their attention" on the Sentinel for a round, essentially just distracting them from other targets for a few seconds.

The ability could probably be better worded to make this more clear. I'll consider how to do that when I look at the other edits for this class.

Guarding Strike (Ex)
    This mixed with provoke is a very powerful combo.
    Actually, they're mutually exclusive abilities.
    Provocation prevents them from attacking someone else.
    Guarding Strike activates only when they attack someone else.

I assume attack of opportunity rules still apply as in 3.5 in terms of you only get a certain amount per round (equal to your Dex I think?). You don't just get a free attack of opportunity for each person, in otherwords.
    That's correct. You get to make one AoO per round, unless you have the Combat Reflexes feat (or a similar ability). Then, your AoOs are limited by your Dex mod. A sentinel will most likely dump Dex over his other ability scores, so this is really not that strong of an ability. Please remember that the AoO is also only for the Sentinel to make, not for anyone who happens to threaten.

Battle Hardened (Ex)
    Evasion, but with Fortitude? Interesting!
    It's a lesser version of Mettle from 3.5, I didn't want to give him an Evasion like ability for both Fort and Will. I thought that was just a bit too much.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
    It seems you must have copied and pasted this, because it says "rogue", which judging from your classes, doesn't exist as is.
    Curses! You found me out!
    Yeah, I'll fix that.

Peerless Bodyguard (Ex)
    Since partial cover granted +4 to AC, what would total cover be? Would it make sense to continue with miss chance with both, partial being 50% and full being 100%? Or is it double the AC bonus? Or do you prefer it as is?
    It's total cover, as defined in the PHB/SRD...

Unbreakable Shield (Ex)
    A cool at the last second ability, I can see it being used for moments of drama. If I didn't have someone set as a ward could I set the person next to me as my ward and make this happen immediately, or would they have to be my ward previously? Does this count for death spells like phantasmal killer or some such? Does it have to be before a save is made? This still counts along the same 5 foot limitation for the ward, so I don't have to worry about distance, he'd be right next to me.
    They have to be set as a ward as a move action. So, unless he can find a way to get a move action as an immediate action, and get a second immediate action to do so, then he can't designate a new ward as part of this ability.
    This ability only negates a damage source. A save or die effect is, by definition, not damage and, therefore, would not be subject to this ability. To survive that, use the ability below.
    Also, do note that this ability is either the Sentinel or the ward, not both.

Shrug It Off (Ex)
    All of these are passive abilities, and all of them fit the class well. I see unbreakable shield and shrug it off as being very similar, save one is for a sentinel AND a ward, and this one is just for the Sentinel.
    Yes, they were intended to be the same effective ability but apply to different things. Unbreakable Shield is to negate damage, and Shrug It Off is to negate things which require a save, which, I suppose, could potentially be a damage source. As you noted, this ability, unlike the above one, can not be applied to the ward.

This class seems to have a lot going for it. Not having reflex and (much) less skills at this point seems to be the only cons to being a damage sponge (both in HP, and AC, not to mention DR) and then we've got all the Armor and Weapon proficiencies, and a better save modifier progression. So, the class has a lot going for it, but I'm not seeing the drawbacks to wiegh out very well in comparison to the other two. The abilities are also fairly strong, and not exactly where I anticipated this going, but they make sense, and I like them in a general sense, even if I had a lot to say on them.
    I think that the Sentinel's abilities are both weaker and stronger than your first reading of it led you to believe. I'd ask that you look over it again after reading my comments here to see if you reach the same conclusions.
    The limited Reflex makes sense for a more sedentary combatant like the Sentinel.
    The lack of skills is pretty much representative of that same concept, as most skills appropriate to a combat class are 'movement' of some kind. That said, there are a few minor changes to skill lists throughout that are coming in the next revision. Sentinel will be gaining (at least) two new skills, though he won't be gaining any additional skill points.

I was wondering at the beginning if you'd go in the direction of increasing the range a ward can be for the benefits to remain in affect, or an ability that grants you more than one ward at a time (mass death ward anyone? ) and was surprised when it didn't come up. I love the dynamic between the ward and the sentinel, and find this introduces a lot of neat roleplaying in battle.
    While that is the expected progression, that is exactly where I did not want to go with this class. I didn't want it to become a mobile fortress guarding the whole party. Rather, it's a personal bodyguard that keeps the fragile spellcaster protected or guards the dreaded (shudder) escort mission alive. Alternatively, it can be an excellent front line combatant that can take damage, ensure he is getting targeted, and keep the other front liners alive a bit longer. I focused more on making his ability relevant rather than on making it "bigger".

Overall, you have 3 nice unique classes. I'll keep an eye on these when comparing the other groups, so that I not only get the sense of balance between each combat class, but also each group and class overall. I feel that perhaps a little more balance between the light and heavy might be warranted, but I also see your thought process behind the whole progression of classes and like it and it makes sense.
    As to the balance issue, I repeat my above request.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

I always assumed the mettle class feature affected both fort and will, instead of making separate features for each, because while most reflex spells allow saves for half, so many fort/will spells are save negates. Are there enough fort save for lesser effect spells to make battle hardened significant, especially considering the limited spell lists available in the system?
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-01 at 11:08 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    I always assumed the mettle class feature affected both fort and will, instead of making separate features for each, because while most reflex spells allow saves for half, so many fort/will spells are save negates. Are there enough fort save for lesser effect spells to make battle hardened significant, especially considering the limited spell lists available in the system?
    That isn't something I had really considered, but I don't really see changing it either. I'll look over the spell lists to see just how powerful this is and make any changes accordingly.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Because that's when poor saves normally progress...
    Alright, I wasn't sure if anything was realigned since it only goes to level 6, so its spread of progressions isn't accounting for all of 20 levels, only six. Alright then.

I really would prefer to not pigeonhole them such that they are only proficient with one type of armor. I like the idea, but I just don't really want to go there with this.
    I understand those sentiments completely. When I PEACH, I basically scrawl out everything I'm thinking, whether it be ideas or suggestions (quality not always included). I mostly do this not because I think you should change something, but because giving new views and different ways to look at something to be a valuable contribution, because it lets you think objectively about your work and proove to me why you chose the direction you did, which provides better understanding for both parties. Or I may say something you haven't thought of that you might wish to add somewhere if not in the immediately discussed topic. In other words, I'd rather write more than less!

I was planning to include that when I got more of the system completed and could better judge what would be balanced. I do have tentative values in my own notes, but I'm not ready to post them. Sentinel will definitely be getting more starting gold than Brawler though, because he'll want to invest more into heavier armor.
    Noted, and I appreciate you seeing what I was getting at.

I agree about the wording. It's really not very clear and needs a rewrite. I wasn't sure how to state things, so I'm grateful for the input. That gives me a good direction to start thinking.
    Glad to help!

Nope. Cover grants bonus AC. Concealment grants a miss chance.
    Cover is shooting at someone from behind a tree, making you a harder to hit target.
    Concealment is hiding in the shadows, making your exact location harder to determine.

One thing that disappointed me about 3.5 was the simplification of cover. In 3e, you had 1/4 Cover (+2 AC), such as when standing behind a short wall or fence that blocks part of your body; 1/2 Cover (+4 AC), such as from behind a tree, inside a building at an open window, behind a creature; 3/4 Cover (+7 AC), leaning around a corner; 9/10 Cover (+10 AC), looking through a barely opened door or through an arrow slit; and Total Cover (Breaks line of effect and line of sight), completely behind something, like a wall.
    In 3.5, you have only Cover (+4 AC) and Total Cover, as above.
    The nice thing about having cover in 3.5 is that it prevents attacks of opportunity from being used against you. There is a caveat that there are ways to get improved cover, gaining +8 AC, but it's less well defined than in 3e.
    My bad, I totally wasn't looking at any book and got terms confused. This and the final class feature where I mentioned Cover again now make sense and I retract my suggestions. The court rests.

Against everything. That's what DR X/- means. This is the same type of damage reduction gained by the 3.5 barbarian.
    I usually don't have books to cross reference when looking at this stuff, so forgive me. I like.

As a note, this ability was derived from the Knight class, the Goad feat, and the Jester class (from DragMag Compendium). Note that this ability isn't a one target ability. It provokes a number of creatures equal to the Sentinel's Constitution modifier.
    I knew it was familiar! And yes, I know it's for the CON mod, I just did a +1 mod for ease of scenario.

As written, the ability doesn't actually force them to approach the Sentinel. It only prevents them from actively attacking another creature for a single round. It doesn't force their actions or drive them into a blind rage but rather "focuses their attention" on the Sentinel for a round, essentially just distracting them from other targets for a few seconds.
    That's what I overlooked in the read through. Looking over it, I see you mention this a bit, but it wouldn't hurt to bring that part of it a bit more forward.

Actually, they're mutually exclusive abilities.
    Provocation prevents them from attacking someone else.
    Guarding Strike activates only when they attack someone else.
    Well, technically they can't target the same person, but they work well together. I say this because - those already targeting you via provoke and have closed with you can then have Guarding strike applied to them the round immediately after. They compliment each other nicely.

It's a lesser version of Mettle from 3.5, I didn't want to give him an Evasion like ability for both Fort and Will. I thought that was just a bit too much.
    Agreed, though I thought this was be using your fortitude as a sort of reflex save against spells as evasion does...am I wrong?

They have to be set as a ward as a move action. So, unless he can find a way to get a move action as an immediate action, and get a second immediate action to do so, then he can't designate a new ward as part of this ability.
    Ah yes, setting a ward is a move action. Carry on, then.

This ability only negates a damage source. A save or die effect is, by definition, not damage and, therefore, would not be subject to this ability. To survive that, use the ability below.
    Also, do note that this ability is either the Sentinel or the ward, not both.

Yes, they were intended to be the same effective ability but apply to different things. Unbreakable Shield is to negate damage, and Shrug It Off is to negate things which require a save, which, I suppose, could potentially be a damage source. As you noted, this ability, unlike the above one, can not be applied to the ward.
    I was basically getting at the fact that spells cause damage, and was wondering if I had to negate that damage when the spell hits, or when the person fails the save. Could denying damage be used for poison? Ability damage? Long lasting ailments or other long term problems?

I think that the Sentinel's abilities are both weaker and stronger than your first reading of it led you to believe. I'd ask that you look over it again after reading my comments here to see if you reach the same conclusions.
    I see your case, and I agree. The explainations certainly helped me see that, so maybe use those explainations to spuce the descriptions (even if some of it was partially because I miss read or miss understood the ruling).

While that is the expected progression, that is exactly where I did not want to go with this class. I didn't want it to become a mobile fortress guarding the whole party. Rather, it's a personal bodyguard that keeps the fragile spellcaster protected or guards the dreaded (shudder) escort mission alive. Alternatively, it can be an excellent front line combatant that can take damage, ensure he is getting targeted, and keep the other front liners alive a bit longer. I focused more on making his ability relevant rather than on making it "bigger".
    I'm glad you say this, as I appreciate that's not where he went. I just saw warding and thought of it as the central ability of the class, which I need to realize is not really a feature I've seen in any of your classes: central abilities. You have a well rounded group of abilities, none of which out shine the other very much. This might also be a side affect of E6. Don't get much running room, after all. I love your flavour in this quote on what the Sentinel is good for.

As to the balance issue, I repeat my above request.
    Done!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed, though I thought this was be using your fortitude as a sort of reflex save against spells as evasion does...am I wrong?
    It's Evasion for Fort saves.

I was basically getting at the fact that spells cause damage, and was wondering if I had to negate that damage when the spell hits, or when the person fails the save. Could denying damage be used for poison? Ability damage? Long lasting ailments or other long term problems?
    "Damage" and "Ability Damage" are technically two different things, so I would say no to that. Some DMs may want to be more lenient on that though, so I'll leave it as written rather than spelling it out.

It would apply to any source of hit point damage, but only for one damage source in that one encounter. If your DM rules that you can use it against poison or disease damage, then you can. I don't see a reason why you couldn't.

This ability doesn't interact with saves at all, only damage. If you fail a save and take damage because of it, then you can use this to negate the damage. If you aren't taking damage, then you can't use this ability. You're not required to use it before you roll a save, because you aren't taking damage yet.

I'm glad you say this, as I appreciate that's not where he went. I just saw warding and thought of it as the central ability of the class, which I need to realize is not really a feature I've seen in any of your classes: central abilities. You have a well rounded group of abilities, none of which out shine the other very much. This might also be a side affect of E6. Don't get much running room, after all. I love your flavour in this quote on what the Sentinel is good for.
    Then I'll probably use this when I write up the flavor text.

Well, they do have "signature abilities". That would be the two abilities that get their own columns on the chart. That doesn't mean that they are the central main and only relevant ability of the class though. It's just that those are the abilities around the class concept is focused. While it may not be the most significant ability, it's the most core conceptually speaking and gives a feel for the class at a glance when skimming over the tables.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Want any spell suggestions for the domains?

Stench of Decay
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 sleep
    1 cause fear (not much I can come up with on these. Death makes me think debuff, air wants winds and clouds. Hard to do both at level 1)
    2 Spectral hand the range bit for air, the spectral bit for death. No good without touch spells though.
    2 wind wall? nothing deadly about it. Maybe a cloud of fatigue (see below)?
    2 (edit ) forgot ghoul touch! The stench bit makes it work.
    3 Stinking Cloud Its a classic spell, pretty potent too, but really fits the death/air theme in my mind. First one I thought of.
    3 contagion weaker spell, but seems thematic

Gaseous form could be another one for 3, doesn't really say 'death' to me though. I would put grave mists on the list, but I figure you want OGL or homebrew stuff, right?

Cloud of Fatigue:
    Spoiler
    Show
    as obscuring mist, but all creatures (except caster) must make a fort save or be fatigued while in the cloud and 1d4 rounds after leaving.

Makes a weaker stinking cloud with limited targeting options (based on obscuring mist, the 1st level spell, instead of the 2nd level fog cloud).

Miasmic Stench
    Spoiler
    Show
    Necromancy
    Level: Stench of Decay 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft. level)
    Effect: Cloud spreads in 20-ft. radius, 20 ft. high
    Duration: 1 min./level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

A misty vapor arises around you. It is stationary once created. The vapor does not obscure vision in any way. All conjuration [healing] spells, fast healing, and regeneration effects on any target within the cloud are reduced by your caster level.

A moderate wind (11+ mph), such as from a gust of wind spell, disperses the fog in 4 rounds. A strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round. A fireball, flame strike, or similar spell burns away the fog in the explosive or fiery spell’s area. A wall of fire burns away the fog in the area into which it deals damage.

This spell does not function underwater.
    Not too powerful, but can reduce low-level combat healing with no save. Feel free to bump it up in power, or make higher level versions.

For Shattered Stone something like PF's stone call would be perfect.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-03 at 09:24 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Very nice, stack. You also happened to pick the one domain for which I have invested the least amount of thought so far. I'll definitely add this stuff to my notes.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-01 at 01:50 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Raging Inferno
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spheres: Air, Fire

1. Produce Flame
    1. Fairie Fire or burning hands
    2. Flaming sphere
    2. resist energy
    3. Ash Storm Its from PF, a lot like sleet storm.
    3. Heatstroke, another PF spell, but seems too thematic to pass up. Its OGL anyhow, don't see any rules conflicts.

Living Waters
    - wow, this one is hard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spheres: Water, Life

Bless water is on the general list, so no go for the obvious choice.
    1. Obscuring mist (though if I use clouds for air, then what is left for water? Bah, themes can get tricky). maybe Rejuvenation, Minor†
    1. Restorative dew (see below)
    2. Rejuvenation, Moderate†: Grants fast healing 2.
    2. Ice Armor (see below)
    2. SNA 2 (water elemental only)
    3. Rejuvenation, Greater†: Grants fast healing 3.
    3. Summon Elemental (1d3 small or 1 medium water elemental)

Restorative dew
    Spoiler
    Show
    Necromancy
    Level: Living Waters 1
    Components: V, S
    Range: Close(25 ft. + 5 ft. level)
    Effect: spread 20-ft. radius
    Duration: 1 min./level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

A cooling dew settles on the ground around your target. It is stationary once created. All conjuration [healing] spells, fast healing, and regeneration effects on any target within the spread are increased by your caster level.

A moderate wind (11+ mph), such as from a gust of wind spell, drys the dew in 4 rounds. A strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round. A fireball, flame strike, or similar spell burns away the dew in the explosive or fiery spell’s area. A wall of fire burns away the dew in the area into which it deals damage.

This spell does not function underwater. This spell counters and dispels miasmic stench

Ice armor perhaps? gives a mage-armor like bonus plus fire resistance?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Conjuration (Creation) [cold]
    Level: Living Waters 2
    Components: V, S, M
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: No

An thin layer of ice surrounds the subject of a ice armor spell, providing a +4 armor bonus to AC. It also grant fire resistance 5. If more than 10*CL points of [fire] damage are absorbed, the spell immediately ends.

Ice armor acts in all ways as a mithral chain shirt, including ACP (0) and ASF. Once conjured, ice armor can be further enhanced with spells such as magic vestment.

Or maybe re-skin grease to be ice? It would have defensive uses. I can't see life themed spells doing damage to non-undead. Since general healing is well provisioned already, I'm at a loss.
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-03 at 09:24 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

I like the ideas, but I intended for all the Element/Life domains to have summon spells to summon elementals.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, that helps. Should have seen that myself. Summon nature's ally would get small elementals as a second level spell, as opposed to SM getting them at 3. Medium elementals don't come until SNA 4. Since you are limited to just one type of summons, I think it would be better to give them at the SNA levels instead of the SM levels. Maybe even kick mediums down to a level three spell. The strength of summoning spells is their versatility, which is severely hampered by limiting them to just one elemental type, so it doesn't seem crazy. Or you could just summon 1d3 small elementals instead.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking a custom Summon Elemental spell at 3rd level that did 1d3 small or 1 medium, caster's choice.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Rnd/level or minute/level? I wouldn't mind seeing a custom spell at 2 to get a small for minute/level, then scaling up to lvl 3 for 1d3 small or 1 medium, keeping the increased duration.

ed - Maybe need a caveat for spellblades if you go with the longer duration though, wouldn't want a horde of minute/level summons. Max two or three castings at once?
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-01 at 02:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Edit: I think that you may even like the new version better when you see the way I'm going to do it. Before I commit to it though, I'll post the new version here in the thread for comparison.
    As promised (new text underlined)
    Spellcasting: A spellblade casts spells which are drawn from his archetype spell list and begins play knowing 1 spell of up to 1st level.
    To learn or cast a spell, a spellblade must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a spellblade’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the spellblade’s Charisma modifier.
    A spellblade simply knows his spells and, unlike the magus, does not need to prepare them in advance.
    Also unlike other Magic Classes, a spellblade may cast any spell he knows at will, though this is subject to all the normal restrictions of casting a spell. However, after a spellblade casts a spell, he can not cast that spell again for 1d4 rounds. This does not prevent him from casting a different spell that he knows.
    A spellblade who does not get a good night's sleep loses access to the highest level spell he knows for the following day, losing one additional spell for each day he goes without sleep. Sleeping restfully for 8 hours removes this penalty, restoring access to his spells.
    Additionally, an excerpt from the upcoming Feats chapter:
    Metamagic Feats
    As a spellcaster’s knowledge of magic grows, she can learn to cast spells in ways different from the ways in which the spells were originally designed or learned. Preparing and casting a spell in such a way is harder than normal but, thanks to metamagic feats, at least it is possible. Spells modified by a metamagic feat are more difficult to cast, incurring an additional cost to the caster. All metamagic feats have a cost listed in the feat description. The exact nature of the cost depends on spellcaster.

Magus
    Spoiler
    Show
    The magus prepares his spells in advance. During preparation, he chooses which spells to prepare with metamagic feats. These spells use a spell slot higher than normal. This does not change the level of the spell, so the DC for saving throws against it does not go up. When preparing a spell with metamagic, the spell counts as a spell a number of levels higher equal to the metamagic cost. A magus can add as many metamagic feats to a single spell as he chooses, provided he has a high enough spell slot available to cast the modified spell.

Augur
    Spoiler
    Show
    The augur chooses spells as she casts them. She can choose when she casts her spells whether to apply her metamagic feats to improve them. The improved spell costs an additional number of motes to cast equal to the metamagic cost. In addition, any spell improved with a metamagic feat takes longer to cast. If a spell's normal casting time is 1 swift action, it is increased to 1 standard action. If the spell’s normal casting time is 1 move or 1 standard action, casting a metamagic version is a full-round action. For a spell with a longer casting time, it takes an extra full-round action to cast the spell. An augur can add as many metamagic feats to a single spell as she chooses, provided she can spend enough motes to cast the modified spell.

Spellblade
    Spoiler
    Show
    A spellblade always has access to his magic, so metamagic feats apply a little differently to spells he casts. Using a metamagic feat puts a strain on the spellblade, increasing the time he must wait before he can cast that spell again. He must normally wait 1d4 rounds after casting a spell before being able to cast it again. Applying a metamagic feat to the spell increases the time he must wait by a number of rounds equal to the metamagic cost. A spellblade may only apply a single metamagic feat to any spell he can cast.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2013-05-01 at 02:57 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

So a level 6 auger can always choose to, say, extend a spell by spending 6 motes and the extra casting time? Cool.

A spellblade can maximize a spell whenever he wants so long as he doesn't plan on using it again that fight? Interesting. I think I would lead of each fight by maximizing (or whatever other relevant feat) my best ranged damage spell (scorching ray using the fiery burst reserve feat or other way to get CL 7), then close to melee with other abilities. Too bad dazing spell isn't in 3.5. Though there are probably more abusive metamagics I'm not thinking of.

Like persistant. A spellblade could persist any relevant buffs, limited only by his (very, very small) spell selection. Seems to be self limiting there, though. Not breaking anything with 2nd level buffs with so few options.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

I am very happy with spell blade andhis meta magic.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Glad y'all approve.

In 3.5 mechanical equivalents, Magus uses Metamagic, Augur uses Metapsionic, and Spellblade uses Metabreath.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Metsbreath is my favorite. And the spell-blade is my favorite flavorwise. So everything is great here.

When're you running a game?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, geeze, I dunno if I'm going to actually run a game. I've been trying to bully one of my friends into running one, but... no luck so far. I might run one coming up soon though.

Really, I'd like to get a few more things ironed out on this project before I try running a game with it.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Can the spellblade just heighten a spell to 9th for the DC bonus, presuming he doesn't mind the wait to get it back? This cold really change the feat landscape and spell selection. I figured a spellblade would often keep CHA low and just avoid spells with saves, but heighten could be a free +7 or 8 to the dc, making save or x worthwhile once per fight.

Or are we assuming E6, so no spells over 3 exist so you can't heighten up to non-existent levels?
    Last edited by stack; 2013-05-01 at 03:36 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

I hadn't considered the effects of Heighten... Hmm... To be honest, I'm going to have to think about that one for a bit. My initial inclination is to just put a max cap on metamagic effects.
    Show