Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [3.5] To Dream a Dream: From Beginning to...?

Hello, this is intro for a new campaign for 3.5 D&D that is designed to familiarize new players with the basic rules, hopefully while providing a fun and memorable play-by-post experience.

I will be editing this post as necessary to accommodate links and such to out-of-character threads, outlines of campaign-specific standards (the Big 16), and so forth.

The Big 16:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running? This will be a 3.5 D&D campaign.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? What is the setting for the game? This is a campaign designed for introductory level play, using mainly rules from the Core Rulebooks (PHB, DMG, Monster Manual). The setting is a variant of my custom setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 3-5 characters would be ideal. I will be flexible with party/session makeup, as long as the results are in line with the desires of the players.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? Play by post in the in-character thread.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Characters will begin at level 1.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? You may roll as per standard for your class in the PHB. Alternately, you may just take the average given.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? Core only. Exceptions may be made, but I am sticking with this for now.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Again, core only. Later, options may increase, but I want to keep it simple. I will allow subraces for core races found in the Monster Manual (provided +0 LA).

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Roll 4 six-sided dice, select the best three, in the forum dice roller. Repeat this seven times, drop the low result.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Alignment will be handled as per PHB, though I will consider petitions for exceptions.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Multiclassing will be allowed as normal in the PHB. Penalties for multiclassing beyond the limits in the PHB will be enforced.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Players should make the die rolls for all actions by their characters, using the forum dice roller. I may make passive or secret rolls on my own, and reserve the right not to post them. I will experiment with posting the rolls of the monsters, in an effort to promote transparency (and as an instructive lesson to new players).

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Monk homebrew has been outlined previously, but I will post the precisely worded stuff. Everything else will be sticking to core rules, and any exceptions will be noted and explained.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? The characters will have a shared background for the first part of the game. I will post the details, and within this framework, the players are free to develop their own background.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? I hope to have a healthy mix of all three, and since it will be a fairly simple version of the ruleset, plenty of role playing.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Core only, the occasional exception by request.

Thanks to Yas392 for the table
    Players and Characters:
    {table=head]Player|Character|Class|AL|Race
    Yas392|Jaarin Zin|Monk|LG|Human
    n00bboy2013|Gandrien|Wizard|NG|Gnome
    IamL|Maltuk|Monk|LG|Elf [/table]

Link to the Out-of-Character Discussion Thread:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...4#post14830474
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-03-17 at 06:51 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] To Dream a Dream: From Beginning to...?

In the midst of a broad plain is a great outcropping of trees, an old, old forest filled with leafy titans. Within the green embrace of these mighty trees are many glades and groves, and golden light filters down through the leaves to the ground. A peaceful atmosphere pervades the forest, and all has been calm and tranquil here for many an age.

Within the inner glade of the forest dwells a friend. Standing seven feet in height, he might be intimidating, but he has been a trusted friend and elder as long as you can remember. His age-marked skin is slightly wrinkled, but his posture is strong, broad-shouldered, and his muscled form bears the passage of time proudly, even defiantly. Calm-mannered and gentle, he wears a simple jerkin made of stiff, golden brown leather, and walks barefoot among the moss and ferns of the forest. Upon his brow is a green, leather mask that obscures his eyes, but you sense no sinister intent behind this discretion, only an occasional sensation of quiet sadness as he speaks to you in a deep, resonant voice.

You've each been his guests in the forest for as long as you can remember. You live simple lives, sustained by the plants of the forest and enjoying the natural beauty and splendor that surrounds you. Sleeping among the mossy roots of the great trees, a carefree existence stretches back into your memory. It seems life has always been this way, and as though it will never change.

But recently, a darkness has fallen upon this peaceful existence. You are each haunted by strange dreams, dreaming nightly of lives so familiar they could be real. Meanwhile, the forest itself is beset by shadows, whispers among the boughs that spread fear and mistrust.

Your guardian, Elsander, as you have known him, has been silent regarding these changes, but has recently taken to teaching each of you skills of combat and magic. Taking readily to such knowledge as though part of your nature, each of you are now much more than just simple forest dwellers. Elsander, clearly proud of the skills and power that you've acquired, still seems sad and reserved, even more so than before, when times were peaceful.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-03-11 at 05:29 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NPCs

Meera:
    A short, mousy female human, Meera is a quick-fingered and sharp-tongued human. With a talent for mischief, she often finds reasons to play pranks or lightheartedly make fun of the other forest-dwellers.

When Elsander was training each of you, Meera proved to have a talent for divine magic; further investigation revealed that she bears an auspicious birth mark resembling the holy symbol of the Laughing Lady, a good-aligned goddess of mischief and trickery (among other things). So Elsander taught her about this goddess, and Meera took easily to the learning, and is now a cleric.

Inister
    This tiny creature resembles a cross between a housecat and a dragon. It has a draconic neck and head with small, giraffe-like horns, but covered with a layer of short, downy fur instead of the scales more typical of reptilian creatures. It's forepaws have opposable thumbs with retractable claws, and it's tail is roughly twice the length of the tail of a normal cat. Finally, it has a pair of bat-like wings, though it rarely flies, seemingly preferring to climb about.

Inister is a bit of mystery, but very knowledgeable about many topics. It assisted Elsander with your instruction, and likes to lecture about various areas of trivia, most of which are totally obscure and uninteresting. It spends much of its time off on its own, stalking songbirds (though it never seems to actually attack them), and in general keeping to itself. Inister's exact relation to Elsander is not clear, but the two have some kind of unspoken bond, and the perceptive dwellers of the forest can tell that much is communicated between, even in silence.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-03-12 at 07:54 PM.

Extended Sigbox

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's the link to my sheet:
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=528194

And I think I'll talk like this:

Rousing, Charismatic Speech
    Avatar by the awesome smuchsmuch.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

This is for a link to any characters that might be added later.

Extended Sigbox

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gandrien will talk like this.

gives a down-to-earth feel

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Maltuk
    Hm... Elsander seems like he's in a bit of a funk today...And, knowing myself, I'm probably just going to make things worse. Ah, well.

"Elsander, what troubles you?"
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-03-11 at 06:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Gandrien

(in another part of the forest) Oh Wartless (my toad familiar), my herb garden has had a wonderful harvest thanks to your pest control, yet I just can't get excited. I'm still troubled by those strange dreams of other gnomes.

9. - Top - End - #9

(thinking) Wait, I can't talk to my familiar yet. Oh well, maybe Master Elsander can help me interpret these dreams.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

For Maltuk:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Meera

Jumping down from a tree, Meera maneuvers between the elven monk and their mentor.

"Give Elsander a break, Maltuk," she chides. "If you haven't noticed, he has been busy lately teaching us all about all kinds of things."

Now facing half toward the great form of Elsander, who is reclined in one of his favorite spots at the base of a mighty banyan tree, Meera's comments are directed sideways at the old man.

"He hasn't had all the time he normally takes for peaceful walks, lonely wandering, and other solitary pastimes."

Spoiler
    Show
    Maltuk may roll Sense Motive (without ranks it's just a Wisdom check).
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-03-12 at 08:06 PM.

Extended Sigbox

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Maltuk

I don't know...He has been acting really reserved lately...more so than usual, that is.

"Yes, but he was busy teaching us those same things half a year ago, and yet he didn't seem so weary as he does now."
    Sense Motive:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10, so 12.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-03-12 at 08:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

For Gandrien:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inister

"And where might you be going, Sir Gandrien?" asks the dragon-like Inister. He jumps down from the underside of a tree branch, deftly cornering Wartless in a predatory manner, in an established manner of teasing your poor familiar.

The toad is unimpressed, knowing that Inister would never harm anyone; a silent staring match between the two creatures endures for a long ten seconds.

Inister balks first, putting on an air of boredom. Wartless acquires what you recognize as a boastful expression, gloating in his small victory.

Extended Sigbox

13. - Top - End - #13

Spoiler
    Show
    Gandrien laughs half-heartedly
    Never mess with a magical toad Inister. Have some mint. But, seriously, I'm busy now, I need to see Master Elsander.

Starts to walk away.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

For Maltuk:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maltuk senses what he usually senses off Meera, a barely disguised example of female human sexuality. Although small, she is not hard on the eyes, a fact of which she is clearly aware and willing to exploit. She is ribbing Elsander in an indirect manner; unlike Maltuk, she rarely approaches relationships directly or honestly, preferring a generous dose of intrigue and tension.

Elsander and Meera often have a very sophisticated level of conversation, and this appears to be the case at the moment, as Maltuk notices a small smile pass quickly across Elsander's face.

Elsander

"Of course, both of you are correct. I have been troubled as of late, and preoccupied, even beyond having been busy instructing each of you."

Elsander stretches his great form as he rises to standing, and his impressive musculature is hard to miss; despite his age, he is strong beyond reckoning, and more than capable in combat (as Maltuk can well attest to, having sparred with him on many occasions as part of his unarmed training).

Sighing, he turns toward Meera and Maltuk. "It seems that the time has come for a discussion that I have long anticipated, but put off longer than is my right. Go track down Gandrien, Inister, and [insert other npcs or pcs]. Once all are gathered in the cental grove, beside the Gazing Pool, then we will talk."

Extended Sigbox

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Maltuk
    "I'll figure out where Gandrien is, you track down Inister."
    The wizard is probably with his toad in his small garden. I always thought that it was funny that he would care to plant a garden in the woods, but, then again, he's a wizard, and wizards like to think they have control over things. I think I'll head over there now.
    I head over to Gandrien's garden.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

For Gandrien:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inister

"I, too, have been meaning to talk to the old man. Something has been off, lately, and I don't just mean the behavior of the birds, the smell of the waters in the streams in the north of the forest, or the unseasonable appearance of the fireflies," the creature mentions off-handedly. "The old man has been holding something back for a while now, and cracks in his normally impenetrable facade are starting to show. I know Meera has sensed it recently."

Inister follows alongside you, leaping between large roots and low-hanging branches, impressively agile, as normal.

Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-03-12 at 10:43 PM.

Extended Sigbox

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

For Maltuk:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Meera follows you on the way to Gandrien's garden.

Meera
    "You know as well as I do that Inister only shows up when he feels like it. If he notices that the rest of us are gathering with Elsander for something important, I'm sure he'll come snooping."

She slinks quietly along. She's been working on her footwork, you notice. While moving in the woods doesn't come as naturally to her as to elves, she is no slouch, and has picked up on things quickly since Elsander tried to explain to her the finer points of moving quietly. Still, she's no thief, and will likely never approach Maltuk's level of skill. But she certainly looks nice as she moves, and the toe-heel motion required by discrete movement accentuates her....

"So, Maltuk, what do you think he's going to talk about?" she asks.

Extended Sigbox

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Maltuk

I'd hoped to steer clear of Meera; she always distracts me and asks annoying questions. Oh, well.

"I don't know what he's going to say, he's certainly outside of my intuition. I'll bet you ten gold that Gandrien's either in or near his garden, and another ten that I can beat you there."
    And with that, I take off at a run. (160 feet per round.)
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-03-13 at 10:13 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

For Maltuk

Spoiler
    Show
    Maltuk quickly leaves Meera far behind, but has to slow his stride due to the many trees and gnarled roots of the forest. He's not even sure she tried to keep up with him.

The forest air whips through the elf's black hair as the trees flash past.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a Will save.

Extended Sigbox

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Maltuk

Wow...this wind is strong. Is Meera even trying to catch up with me? Oh, well, it would be just like her to fall behind then wait for me to stop running and blow by me.
    Will Save:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[11]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

For Maltuk:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maltuk slows suddenly, sensing that something isn't right. The forest about him seems abnormally dark, and suddenly there are fireflies all about. Searching for familiar landmarks, he realizes that he has no idea what part of the forest he is in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Status: Maltuk now has the status condition shaken, taking a -2 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Extended Sigbox

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Maltuk
    Well, that went much differently than expected. Gods, this is creeping me out. Okay, Maltuk, calm down. Maybe if you figure out where you went wrong...what was that sound?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check To Remember: (1d20)[1] (darn that Shaken condition.)

Edit: AAARGH! Stupid dice luck today.
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-03-13 at 08:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

For Gandrien:

Spoiler
    Show
    The gnome, the toad, and Inister walk along the path for a bit, before running into Meera.

Meera
    "Hey guys. Elsander is gathering everyone down by the Gazing Pool."

Inister
    "How convenient, we were just on our way to speak with him,"
    he says, scratching under his chin with his back paw.

Meera
    "You guys didn't run into Maltuk a little bit ago, did you?"
    The short human is glancing around and is starting to look concerned.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-03-14 at 10:35 PM.

Extended Sigbox

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

For Maltuk:

Spoiler
    Show
    The surroundings seem ominous and confusing. For a moment, Maltuk thinks he sees figures moving among the trees, and Maltuk loses all track of what he was trying to remember.

So many fireflies. They seem oddly out of place to Maltuk, but he isn't sure why.

A quiet breeze whispers through the trees, and he has a sudden feeling, like waking from a dream. It only lasts for a moment, but for that moment, everything around him seems strange and unfamiliar, shadowy.

Extended Sigbox

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Maltuk
    Okay, I'll just backtrack until I hit something familiar.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

For Maltuk:

Spoiler
    Show
    Maltuk is looking around for something to indicate the direction he came from, but everything is quite disorienting, and the fireflies and sense that someone or something is watching him repeatedly distracts him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make another Will save.

Extended Sigbox

27. - Top - End - #27

Gandrien

No, Meera, I haven't seen Maltuk around, he's probably talking to Master Elsander right now, he's always very punctual. By the way, have you been having any strange dreams lately?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

For Gandrien:

Spoiler
    Show
    Meera
    The woman looks concerned, but Gandrien's question about dreams seems to distract her.

"Dreams? Hmm, I haven't been sleeping well lately, but I don't recall anything specific. I've had some bad feelings, though, and Elsander has been acting strangely," she says, with a thoughtful look on her face.

Inister
    "Why were you asking about Maltuk? Does Elsander want to speak with the elven monk as well?"

Meera
    "Strange, he was on his way to your herb garden in a hurry, I lost track of him after he ditched me"

Inister
    "Unlike him to get lost."

Spoiler
    Show
    Make an Intelligence check (roll 1d20+ your Intelligence Modifier).
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-03-14 at 10:34 PM.

Extended Sigbox

29. - Top - End - #29

Gandrien

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+3[/roll]
    Last edited by Aquatosic; 2013-03-15 at 04:34 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Maltuk
    Okay, Maltuk, think. Try to figure out what direction you were going in. Wow, this place is really creepy.
    Will Save:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[6]

Edit: GAH!
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-03-15 at 11:30 AM.