Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 36 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [3.5] OOC for To Dream a Dream: From Beginning to...?

Hello, this is the start of the out-of-character thread for my new play-by-post campaign for beginners. The idea is to give an overview of basic rules for new players while providing an enjoyable role playing experience.

Thanks to Yas for the table.
    Players and Characters:
    {table=head]Player|Character|Class|AL|Race
    Yas392|Jaarin Zin|Monk|LG|Human
    n00bboy2013|Gandrien|Wizard|NG|Gnome
    IamL|Maltuk|Monk|LG|Elf [/table]

Link to the in-character thread:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post14830406

The Big 16:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running? This will be a 3.5 D&D campaign.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? What is the setting for the game? This is a campaign designed for introductory level play, using mainly rules from the Core Rulebooks (PHB, DMG, Monster Manual). The setting is a variant of my custom setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 3-5 characters would be ideal. I will be flexible with party/session makeup, as long as the results are in line with the desires of the players.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? Play by post in the in-character thread.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Characters will begin at level 1.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? You may roll as per standard for your class in the PHB. Alternately, you may just take the average given.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? Core only. Exceptions may be made, but I am sticking with this for now.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Again, core only. Later, options may increase, but I want to keep it simple. I will allow subraces for core races found in the Monster Manual (provided +0 LA).

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? Roll 4 six-sided dice, select the best three, in the forum dice roller. Repeat this seven times, drop the low result.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Alignment will be handled as per PHB, though I will consider petitions for exceptions.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Multiclassing will be allowed as normal in the PHB. Penalties for multiclassing beyond the limits in the PHB will be enforced.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Players should make the die rolls for all actions by their characters, using the forum dice roller. I may make passive or secret rolls on my own, and reserve the right not to post them. I will experiment with posting the rolls of the monsters, in an effort to promote transparency (and as an instructive lesson to new players).

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. Monk homebrew has been outlined previously, but I will post the precisely worded stuff. Everything else will be sticking to core rules, and any exceptions will be noted and explained.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? The characters will have a shared background for the first part of the game. I will post the details, and within this framework, the players are free to develop their own background.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? I hope to have a healthy mix of all three, and since it will be a fairly simple version of the ruleset, plenty of role playing.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Core only, the occasional exception by request.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-03-17 at 06:50 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] OOC for To Dream a Dream: From Beginning to...?

Reserved for introductory material.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Custom Items from Elsander:

Mini-portable hole:
    This lightweight black cloth is extremely fine. When spread upon a flat surface, it becomes a hole two feet in diameter. This hole opens into a nondimensional space that is 3' wide by 3' long and 5' in depth. Thus, it will hold up to 45 cubic feet of stuff, with no limit on the amount of weight. The cloth itself is virtually weightless.
    Spreading the cloth out or picking it up is a move action. Retrieving something from the hole requires at least a full round action (and may require much more time depending on how full the hole is).
    There is enough air in the hole for one Medium creature for one minute, or two Small creatures for one minute. It is not possible to open or close the hole from the inside.
    The edges of the nondimensional space created by this item appear to be made of smooth, matte black stone.

Marble of Sunlight:
    This small sphere is about the size of a shooter marble is made of yellow stone. By mental command (a free action), the marble can be released in midair and will hang there, motionless, until the command is repeated or one pound of force is exerted on it, at which point the marble moves around freely.
    When a different mental command is given (a free action), the marble will emit the functional equivalent of natural sunlight. This creates a radius of bright illumination of 10', and shadowy illumination in a radius of 10'. This light persists until the mental command is repeated.
    The marble is virtually weightless.

Training Weights:
    These weighted bracelets and anklets are designed to improve muscle conditioning by adding small amounts of weight to the limbs, causing the muscles to be exercised even by relatively small amounts of movement. They are made of midnight-blue cubes of a some mineral, fastened to each other by some cord that magically affixes the cubes and ensures a snug fit.
    The bracelets and anklets, when all four are worn, grant the wearer a +1 bonus to damage with unarmed strikes.
    After being worn continually for one week, the training weights grant their wearer the benefits of the Endurance feat, but only as long as they are all worn.
    The training weights initially weigh 2lbs each, for a total weight of 8lbs for the whole set.

So, players joining my campaign can post here any discussion about rules, and such. The other thread is for the story telling, role play and so forth.

Please keep in mind that this is my first time DMing via PbP, so it may take me a couple of edits and such to pull it all together.

Chat away!
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-04-11 at 08:14 PM.

Extended Sigbox

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hi.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Hello there. I'm waiting for my recruits to show up so we can start talking rules basics.

If you know anyone looking for an intro to 3.5 experience and seeking PbP, Yas, please direct them to this thread.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-03-05 at 12:31 AM.

Extended Sigbox

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Please teach me also. I am still new.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question Re: [3.5] OOC for To Dream a Dream: From Beginning to...?

Hi Been reading up on the rules, should probably figure that electronic dice-rolling program they talked about. I'm thinking of running a gnome wizard named Gandrien Benset, after my EQ2 character. So, the guide was unclear on this, do magic attacks use 1d6 or 1d20 to determine whether it hits and the damage? Are accuracy and evasion considered stats like in pokémon?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by n00bboy2013 View Post
    Hi Been reading up on the rules, should probably figure that electronic dice-rolling program they talked about. I'm thinking of running a gnome wizard named Gandrien Benset, after my EQ2 character. So, the guide was unclear on this, do magic attacks use 1d6 or 1d20 to determine whether it hits and the damage? Are accuracy and evasion considered stats like in pokémon?
    I'm unfamiliar with EQ2, so if you could explain what you mean a bit, that would help.

Gnome wizard sounds fine, though I may run a brief encounter with everyone using non-caster characters, so that we all get an idea of how combat and the combat round work.

The effects of magic are totally dependent on what spell you cast, and a wizard must prepare spells in advance from spells in his spellbook.

Broadly speaking, spells either
    a.) Allow the target some kind of saving throw to avoid/partially avoid the effects of the spell. The difficulty class (DC) of the saving throw is determined by the level of the spell and the modifier of your character's spellcasting ability (for wizards, the key ability score for spellcasting is Intelligence).

b.) or a spell requires a touch or ranged touch attack roll to hit the target of the spell. Spells like rays and the orb spells use ranged touch attacks, which are generally easy to hit with (most creatures have a touch AC markedly lower than their normal AC).

I know little of pokemon, but accuracy is probably roughly equivalent to dexterity in D&D. Dexterity also helps armour class (AC), which determines how hard it is for other people to hit your character.

I hope this answers at least some of your question.

Extended Sigbox

9. - Top - End - #9

EQ2 is Everquest 2, a free-to-play online Action-RPG, like World of Warcraft and I'd be fine with running a half-orc fighter.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, the sample combat was just an idea to let you see how the turn-based combat works, action types, opposed checks vs difficulty checks, and so forth.

We could probably even run that on this thread, since it won't have any role play content.

If you have good familiarity with any turn-based rpg video games, you probably will catch on pretty fast. Either way, it's not terribly complicated at the basic level.

Go ahead and roll up a half-orc fighter of 1st level if you want to do the sample combat. You will need to pick two feats (one from any feat you meet the requirements for, one bonus fighter feat), and assign skill points (but fighter has almost no skills to speak of, and the combat should be simple, so skills won't be of any particular use). Don't worry about wealth, I'll just stick you in a chain shirt and your choice of a martial weapon, and a shield if you wish.

the format for dice rolling is pretty simple, always avoid any spaces inside the roll tags. Roll 4d6, best 3 for ability scores. The formatting is like this:

[roll]4d6b3 with [/roll] at the end (no spaces, remember).

To decode that for you, inside the [roll] tags it's
    (#dice)d(x-sided die)best(# of dice to pick, dropping the lower rolls)

For d20 rolls (which constitute the majority of what you will roll during the game):

[roll]1d20+x , but with [/roll] at the end, where x is the modifier you want added after the roll is totaled.

Hope that made sense. Should have just linked you to the official explanation, but I had difficulty finding it. I will look for it shortly if you are having problems.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-03-05 at 10:53 PM.

Extended Sigbox

11. - Top - End - #11

my two feats will be animal affinity and blind-fight for my fighter bonus feat. I will wield a trident and a light spiked shield.

we have any other players?
    Last edited by Aquatosic; 2013-03-07 at 03:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

This is my test of the dice-rolling program

(1d20)[6]

It worked, got confused because it came out as roll0 in brackets in the post preview
    Last edited by Aquatosic; 2013-03-07 at 03:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

What do I roll to determine stats?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I will be using 4d6b3, or the best 3 rolls out of 4d6 in human-speak. Roll seven times all in the same post (copy and paste works nicely), then pick the best six. If your rolls are terrible, you can reroll all six, but I won't allow infinite rerolling. Please post all rolls on this thread, and keep in mind that it is very sensitive about the rolling...once you post, you can't edit anything having to do with the rolls, nor can you add more rolls to an existing post.

Good luck.

Extended Sigbox

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by n00bboy2013 View Post
    my two feats will be animal affinity and blind-fight for my fighter bonus feat. I will wield a trident and a light spiked shield.

we have any other players?
    Hmm, for this combat, it will be just you and I. I have one other person interested (or he was interested...), and maybe one or two more I can ask for when we get to an actual adventure. I will try to figure out just who is on board by the weekend.

If you know anyone that might be interested, please feel free to invite them. I will be keeping it fairly simple so that we can accommodate any level of expertise.

Extended Sigbox

16. - Top - End - #16

There was someone I PMed about this, but he never responded.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

That's alright. Hopefully the others I mentioned will have time to join. 2-3 players would be just fine.

Extended Sigbox

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

*Hurls a sound wave to a target detecting them, aiming a kick that that impacts him, follow by a flurry of blows* Hi guys.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolling for stats. Thinking of an LG human monk, so long as you allow the Flurry of Blows to be a standard action. (and were we doing best of Wis, Dex, and Str for attack and damage rolls, or were we not?)
    Avatar by the awesome smuchsmuch.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolling for stats:

(4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Edit: Not the best stats I've ever rolled, but oh, well. Not loving that 5, though. It's gonna go in Charisma.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-03-07 at 07:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Let see..

(4d6b3)[4]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Ewww, yuk.

EDIT: I demand re-roll lol.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-03-07 at 07:51 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Let see..

(4d6b3)[4]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Ewww, yuk.
    Well, according to RAW, you can reroll your stats.
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-03-07 at 07:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

IamL, you may roll 7 times and drop the lowest, so roll once more if you wish. I tend to play in a much higher power setting than this campaign will be using, so I don't want everyone too weak.

Flurry is still a full round action, but a monk can move up to 1/2 their speed as a swift action, which allows a monk to move into melee and then flurry all in the same round.

Use the best of Str, Dex or Wisdom for attack bonus; the best one only is used for damage rolls for unarmed strikes. Later you get it for monk weapons (I'm thinking 3rd or 4th level.

Extended Sigbox

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ok..

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[4]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]

EDIT: Not bad.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-03-07 at 07:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Let see..

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Ewww, yuk.

EDIT: I demand re-roll lol.
    Re-roll granted. As above, roll 7 times, pick the highest 6. I won't have trouble killing you if I want to, so I'm not worried about high-end stats. If it weren't for it being a beginner-level campaign, I'd be even more lenient.

Extended Sigbox

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolling one more time:

(4d6b3)[14]

Edit: That's decent. Going in Constitution.
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-03-07 at 07:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm rather proud of my sheet (then again, I did just modify the sheet I used for Heroes for Hire, but still...):

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=528194

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IamL View Post
    Rolling one more time:

[roll0]
    Now, that's more like it.

Yas, I noticed last time that you seemed to know how to make a table. I have no clue how that is done. Could you make up one for the characters in this campaign? So far it's you, IamL, and n00bboy2013, though Bartimaeus showed some interest. That would be most helpful.

The campaign itself won't start until I am satisfied that n00bboy has all his answers on basic rules and we run the sample combat (just one encounter). I apologize if this leaves the rest of you hanging for a while.

Extended Sigbox

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

It's fine. Will said encounter be on this thread or the IC thread? Just wondering.