New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default MBT: Leer Class [3.5]

The Monster Blood Tattoo (or Foundling's Tale) trilogy is, of late, one of my favorite reading materials. I'm currently working on a setting which incorporates some of the elements found in the books, and among these are the "classes" of monster hunters found throughout the world. I have a layout of the Fulgar as a mobile striker type class, which I may post at a later time. My current issue is that I can't seem to consolidate the abilities of another class, the Leer.

For those unfamiliar with the books, a Leer is someone who has washed their eyes in various alchemical liquids in order to gain superhuman perception. Within the Leers, there are two subtypes. The Laggard has acute vision and is adept at noticing things that most others would miss. This makes them excellent scouts and snipers. The other type, Falsemen, have the ability to see through lies and illusions, bringing the truth to the surface under their unnerving glare.

What I want is to create the Leer as a skilled class, rather than one optimized for combat. To that end, I have so far given them a Cleric's Attack Bonus Progression and a Rogue's Skill Point Progression. I planned on giving them the option to spec into Falseman or Laggard in the early levels, similar to a Ranger's Combat Style. I would appreciate any help given to this task. Below I'll put any class features that can be agreed upon during the discussion.

Leer Class Features
    Spoiler
    Show

Leer

Skill Points: 6(+Int) per level.

Class Skills: Appraise, Bluff, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Forgery, Gather information, Hide, Knowledge (any two), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble

Proficiency: Simple Weapon Proficiency. Medium Armor Proficiency, no shields.

{table=head]
    Level
    |
    BAB
    |
    Fort
    |
    Ref
    |
    Will
    |
    Special
    |
    Laggard
    |
    Falseman

1 | +0 | 0 | 2 | 2 | Leer Specialization | Skill Focus: Spot | Skill Focus: Sense Motive
    2 | +1 | 0 | 3 | 3 | Low Light Vision, Monster Lore | Improved Range | Unnerving Glare
    3 | +2 | 1 | 3 | 3 | - | - | -
    4 | +3 | 1 | 4 | 4 | Uncanny Dodge | - | -
    5 | +3 | 1 | 4 | 4 | Find the Hidden | - | -
    6 | +4 | 2 | 5 | 5 | - | Cunning Sight | Dead Giveaway
    7 | +5 | 2 | 5 | 5 | Keen Defense | - | -
    8 | +6/+1 | 2 | 6 | 6 | - | - | -
    9 | +6/+1 | 3 | 6 | 6 | - | Critical Strike | Nothing Hidden
    10 | +7/+2 | 3 | 7 | 7 | - | - | -
    11 | +8/+3 | 3 | 7 | 7 | - | - | -
    12 | +9/+4 | 4 | 8 | 8 | Improved Uncanny Dodge | - | -
    13 | +9/+4 | 4 | 8 | 8 | - | - | -
    14 | +10/+5 | 4 | 9 | 9 | - | - | -
    15 | +11/+6/+1 | 5 | 9 | 9 | - | - | -
    16 | +12/+7/+2 | 5 | 10 | 10 | - | - | -
    17 | +12/+7/+2 | 5 | 10 | 10 | - | - | -
    18 | +13/+8/+3 | 6 | 11 | 11 | - | - | -
    19 | +14/+9/+4 | 6 | 11 | 11 | - | - | -
    20 | +15/+10/+5 | 6 | 12 | 12 | - | - | -

[/table]

Leer Specialization: At First Level, a Leer must choose which chemical mixtures that she washes her eyes with, becoming either a Laggard or a Falseman and deciding which bonuses she gets from there on out. Once this decision is made, it cannot be changed.

Skill Focus: At First Level, upon choosing a Leer Specialization, a Leer receives Skill Focus as a bonus feat, depending on which specialization that she took. A Laggard receives a Skill Focus: Spot while a Falseman receives Skill Focus: Sense Motive.

Low light Vision: A Leer at Second Level receives Low Light Vision. If they are a race that already has Low Light Vision, they instead receive Improved Low Light Vision.

Monster Lore: A Leer of Second Level can concentrate a number of rounds on a creature. By taking a full round action to make an appropriate Knowledge check, a Leer can add half of their Leer levels to the roll in order to discern attributes and weaknesses of the monster.

Improved Range: At Second Level, a Laggard takes a reduced penalty for firing outside of his initial range increment. This reduces the penalty for firing outside of the first range increment by one. At Fifth Level and every three levels thereafter, the penalty reduction increases by one, capping at a reduction of 6 at Level 17.

Unnerving Glare: At Second Level, a Falseman making an intimidate check after a successful Sense Motice check to discern what an individual is hiding from the, she can add half of her Leer level (minimum one) to the intimidate check. The target of the intimidation must be able to see the Falseman's eyes for this effect to work.

Uncanny Dodge: At Fourth Level, a Leer does not lose her dexterity bonus for being flat-footed or when attacked by an invisible individual. This ability becomes Improved Uncanny Dodge at Level Twelve.

Find the Hidden: At Fifth Level, a Leer's senses become attuned to seeing what others wish to remain hidden. Any time a Leer steps within five feet of a secret door or compartment, they sre given an automatic search check to see if they notice it. The DM rolls this secretly.

Cunning Sight: At Sixth Level, a Laggard is familiar enough with a type of terrain or material to notice oddities about it. Choosing a terrain (forest, desert, etc.) or material (wood, stone, metal, etc.), the Laggard gains a +2 bonus to search checks made to notice unusual or unnatural features of said material or terrain. This ability functions exactly as the Dwarf's Stonecunning racial ability, except that it applies to whatever terrain or material the Laggard chooses.

Dead Giveaway: At Sixth Level, a Falseman becomes adept at checking for the telltale signs of a lie. Three times per day plus her Intelligence modifier, a Falseman can concentrate on a subject that she is speaking with, placing over them the effect of the Discern Lies spell. Only one subject may be affected by this ability at a time.

Keen Defense: At Seventh Level, a Leer is more adept at noticing the subtle giveaways that tell what an opponent is going to do next. The Leer gains a Dodge Bonus to her armor class that is equal to half of her Leer Level. In addition, if an opponent attempts to feint, the Leer gains a +4 Competence Bonus to the opposed Sense Motive Check.

Critical Strike: At Ninth Level, a Laggard can forego added power behind an attack to increase the likelihood of hitting the mark. When wielding a melee weapon or a ranged weapon that adds her Strength Modifier to Damage, a Laggard can choose to forego this extra damage to gain that bonus to her attack roll. This decision must be made before the roll is made, and this ability will not function in combination with an ability that increases damage (such as Power Attack). As well, the Laggard is considered to have the Improved Critical Feat for each attack using this ability. If the Laggard already has this Feat or is using any other means to improve her weapon's critical range, the Bonus does not stack. This ability may be used three times per day at ninth level, and then an additional time per day for every two Laggard levels after that.

Nothing Hidden: At Ninth Level, a Falseman gains an eerie gaze that seems to penetrate a person's thoughts. Three times per day, +1 time/two Falseman Levels past ninth a Falseman can place one individual under the effects of Detect Thoughts, as the Spell.
    Last edited by Kadakism; 2013-03-19 at 10:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: MBT: Leer Class [3.5]

While I'm unfamiliar with the source material, this class sounds intriguing.

The Laggard would obviously receive bonuses to spot and search. Other abilities could be extensions of range increments for ranged weapons, the Elf secret search racial ability.

The Falsemen could get a bonus to Intimidate and Sense Motive checks, a bonus to saving throws against effects that confound his or her visual sense. Based on what I'm reading in your description, the Falsemen has a "social tough" role you could extend that intimidate bonus to a supernatural ability that forces a save from whomever he or she is giving the stink-eyed scrutiny to, should they wish to prevaricate or withhold facts.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Updated with the first two class levels. I honestly feel that the Laggard's Level 2 ability is better than the Falseman's. I think I should either decrease it to five feet increments or simply make it a reduced minus to firing outside of the first range increment. Reduce the penalty by one at second level and then another one every X levels? So by the second time you get it, you've effectively doubled your range.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Kadakism View Post
    Updated with the first two class levels. I honestly feel that the Laggard's Level 2 ability is better than the Falseman's. I think I should either decrease it to five feet increments or simply make it a reduced minus to firing outside of the first range increment. Reduce the penalty by one at second level and then another one every X levels? So by the second time you get it, you've effectively doubled your range.
    The second option for the range ability makes more sense - the laggard has better aim on account of superior senses, not an ability to put an arrow farther than any other person with one.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Updated. New abilities listed.

The more I look at it though, the more I see that completely foregoing combat optimization isn't really an option. A sorcerer can be set up to talk his way out of nearly everything, but there are gonna be those times where he needs to defend himself.

6. - Top - End - #6

I like the idea of this class - don't give up yet!

Possibly let the Falseman use a detect thoughts spell-like ability? I can't think of another ability for the Laggard at this moment.

When it comes to combat optimization, (something I personally rather like the idea of), consider tapping some of the Mindspy's (from Complete Warrior) abilities for the Falseman, and as far as the Laggard goes, maybe buffs to accuracy and critical threat range?

The Laggard's harder to write for, but I'm at a disadvantage with no experience with Monster Blood Tattoo.
    Last edited by nxwtypx; 2013-03-11 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Italics make me seem smarter than I am

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I know. I'm not giving up yet. Just been really busy lately, and haven't had the time to work on this.