A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #879 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    Elan has Mass Cure Light Wounds and possibly Cure Critical Wounds. And it's not like Elan uses his spell casting abilities all that often. He should still have his entire complement of spells available.

Unfortunately, Restoration is not a Bard spell, so he can't help Belkar all that much.
    Good point. I forgot that Elan can heal... mostly because he uses it so rarely and only acquired it relatively recently. That said, he isn't as proficient as Durkon was at it. And they can't count on Thor's Might if they need some extra muscle.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

At this point, it looks like the OotS should do their best to self-destruct this gate, then retreat and try to pick up a few new members -- possibly from the Azure City bunch.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

3. - Top - End - #243
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Liliet View Post
    Can anyone tell me how that ability drain works? Will Belkar get a save to get everything back, will he be able to be restored later when they find some cleric willing to help or Durkon comes back to his team?
    Vampire ability drain is permanent unless magically fixed--it would require a Restoration spell from a cleric to do that, though, and there aren't any friendly clerics nearby for Belkar to use. He'll have to live with it until they get back to civilization, although, let's be honest here, he'll probably be dead within a few strips as well--he has his own prophecy to fulfil!

4. - Top - End - #244

Thing is, each time a gate is destroyed, the chance the Snarl will escape of its own accord, is increased. At least, that's the impression I got from SoD.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darlingg View Post
    So... 1) who'll the Order use for a Cleric now?! 2) Since Durkon was never actually buried, he has no coffin to return to for shelter from the sun (unless Malack is going to immediately teach him that daily "Survive Sunlight" spell he's got), or to recuperate from being forced into Gaseous Form.

Classic, non-sparkly vampires are traditionally demon-posessed corpses, with all the memories and abilities of the Original, but an entirely new set of goals, motives and emotions (i.e. pretty sociopathic) Buffy the Vampire Slayer wasn't far off. Also, their "ecological niche" would naturally make them quite territorial, and by no means social animals. However, even Dracula longed for a "bride", so Malack's loneliness may not be entirely without precedent. I'm also surprised he spared Belkar, but that might be Lawful trumping Evil also a chance the Order will flee now instead of fight.

Possibly Evil Durkon will still want to contain the Snarl, and will rejoin the Order to do so, and even persuade Malack and the rest of the Linear Guild to ally against Xykon.
    The only place I've seen Vampires as demon posessed really has been Buffy. In most instances they are Humans that have been filled with an unnatural hunger an an overwhelming desire that drives them, but they are still them.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Maybe Durkula could be a Spike-like character. Ya know, so cool that he wants to good guys to win because well, this world is mighty fun!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    At this point, it looks like the OotS should do their best to self-destruct this gate, then retreat and try to pick up a few new members -- possibly from the Azure City bunch.
    What exactly would they do with a gate if they don't intend to self-destruct it? I know at least one gate needs to be intact, and they need to stop Xykon at some point. Just wait there and try to destroy Xykon when he arrives?

Obviously, this will continue beyond Girard's gate, when they go to Skyrim the Northern Continent to the final gate. Yes, I know this comic far predates that game.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't get the "inside voice" joke. Issit a reference to some older strips that i missed?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sakgeres View Post
    I don't get the "inside voice" joke. Issit a reference to some older strips that i missed?
    It's the fact that Durkon is SPEAKING IN ALL CAPITALS WHICH USUALLY REPRESENTS SHOUTING or possibly BRIAN BLESSED!!!
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

10. - Top - End - #250
    Bugbear in the Playground

Curiously, Belkar is not laughing at the death of Durkon and seems genuinely concerned how this affects the OotS team. It seems salvaging his team that's in deep trouble is more important than cheap amusement.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

I knew he will stay alive!

That's been a wonderful 9 days (not counting Durkon's death), thank you.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nonamearisto View Post
    What exactly would they do with a gate if they don't intend to self-destruct it? I know at least one gate needs to be intact, and they need to stop Xykon at some point. Just wait there and try to destroy Xykon when he arrives?

Obviously, this will continue beyond Girard's gate, when they go to Skyrim the Northern Continent to the final gate. Yes, I know this comic far predates that game.
    Well, I don't really know what they can do at a Gate, actually. They're too weak to defend it. The only thing that I can think of is to lure Xykon close to the gate, and then blow it up somehow, thus destroying him in the blast.

But at the moment, they're too crippled to defend against either Xykon or the Linear Guild in any meaningful way. They've already pretty much lost Girard's Gate. I know that one needs to stay intact, but at the moment, they're a speed bump without heals and possibly down one mage, also.

I just don't know what they can do at this moment with essentially no resources. Staying is equivalent to suicide, isn't it?
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sakgeres View Post
    I believe it's just a joke based around Durkon shouting (using all capitals) in the first panel. People often say 'use your inside voice' to tell people to quiet down, so Malack is instructing Durkon to talk more quietly. The next time Durkon talks, it is in a normal tone of voice.

On another note, as others have said, I'm not feeling confident about the Order's chances here. Belkar won't be much help, one of their casters has essentially defected, and become more powerful in the process, so they're down to a party of four effective combatants- and that's even assuming they meet up with V some time soon, and that V is in any condition to fight when they do so.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    And yet another surprising thing here: Belkar actually cares.
    It's not surprising at all. Belkar is evil; he's more likely to care that the person who helps keep him alive is gone. It's very self-centered of him to want to ensure his own survival. He just saw the toughest member of the Order go down. This same member who happens to be the party cleric.

Yeah he cares. He cares big time. That's a major shock to him.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    Curiously, Belkar is not laughing at the death of Durkon and seems genuinely concerned how this affects the OotS team. It seems salvaging his team that's in deep trouble is more important than cheap amusement.
    You're looking at it wrong. Look at it from the perspective of how it impacts him.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

16. - Top - End - #256
    Bugbear in the Playground

Interesting sentiment on Malack's part. I wonder if: A) He actually plans to follow through on releasing Durkon, and B) Will he get a chance to do so.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Durkon is going to be pissed when he gets freed.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm really glad the Giant posted all these comics so quickly. It really added to the dramatic impact with the faster pacing.
    It is weird to see how Malack, a completely evil character, seems to care in his own way for Durkon. I really like how the Giant displays evil as something other than arrogant, obnoxious, and stupid.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I didn't get the inside voice joke.

20. - Top - End - #260

GreataxeFighterGirl

Poor Belkar. :/

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by Twopair View Post
    I believe it's just a joke based around Durkon shouting (using all capitals) in the first panel. People often say 'use your inside voice' to tell people to quiet down, so Malack is instructing Durkon to talk more quietly. The next time Durkon talks, it is in a normal tone of voice.

On another note, as others have said, I'm not feeling confident about the Order's chances here. Belkar won't be much help, one of their casters has essentially defected, and become more powerful in the process, so they're down to a party of four effective combatants- and that's even assuming they meet up with V some time soon, and that V is in any condition to fight when they do so.
    Ohh thanks. Ppl here dun use that phrase very much.

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    The only place I've seen Vampires as demon posessed really has been Buffy. In most instances they are Humans that have been filled with an unnatural hunger an an overwhelming desire that drives them, but they are still them.
    I think it was the case in pre-Dracula folklore though as well- Buffy didn't just create the idea out of nowhere.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #263

RedWizardGuy

frown Re: OOTS #879 - The Discussion Thread

I am frustrated by Belkar's not being a vampire. Anyway, I do not think he will survive much longer, even if he reaches Roy, Haley and Elan, since he is crawling in a high level dungeon with 2 CON score (also he dropped his weapons, so unarmed). Finding a Restoration scroll would be priceless for Belkster, but it is unlikely at this moment it seems.

Damn, really, Belkar should have been a vampire. I do not want him out of the game by dying. As he stated in his psychedelic experience, he is the only thing left funny in this comic.
    Feel, don't think. Use your instincts.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by Twopair View Post

Durkon may have defected, but do remember he has little magic juice left, same with Malack. Though he still has a Thor's Might left and the upper floors ought to be spacious enough for that. Plus the issue of Dominate gaze x2 vs. bunch of low Will saves. They're in trouble all right, but it's not as dire as 2x angry Cleric would necessarily imply.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Needle View Post
    If he turns out, or not, to be truly sorry we'll see, but I place my bet on the "how do we know you're not faking it like you did all this time?" reaction from the Order, just in the only time he will be truly honest (in the right way).
    Hey, hey, hey, check out the giant halfling head! You think I'm willing to stab myself in the face for a joke?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    Interesting sentiment on Malack's part. I wonder if: A) He actually plans to follow through on releasing Durkon, and B) Will he get a chance to do so.
    I'm pretty sure he really will release Durkon if he survives this little trip. As he stated just before getting Durkon to rise, he doesn't want a child anymore, but a brother. Someone of equal standing, not someone upon who he'll have authority. From this viewpoint, giving Durkon his free will is the logical course of event.

Plus, at this point, there's no need to tell Durkon a lie, he's currently enslaved and can't do much to turn on Malack. He could tell him that he's going to get him to kill every member of the order that Durkon wouldn't have a say in it and obey.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I really felt for Belkar in this strip. He seemed genuinely shaken by the experience. And given that he only recently discovered what empathy is, having to go through what he just witnessed must have been awful. (I'm not pretending that any of this turns Belkar into a good guy, but I do still feel sympathy for him.)

By the same token, Malack's statement that he doesn't want to linger "where tragedy visited a friend" hit me in the guts too. Malack is intelligent and knows full well that the "tragedy" was his own doing, but the fact that he still refers to it like that suggests he sincerely sad about it. It's a complex and dissonant but very plausible emotion for Malack to have (...sort of how people IRL often have incongruous emotions).

Rich has always been so good at giving villains/evil characters personalities like this... and it's great.

28. - Top - End - #268

Beholder

Everyone seems to be forgetting the real problem here: Elan's plan.

We never knew what it was, but it sounded like it was gonna work and it involved Durkon. Did it just go down the toilet? Is it gonna have an effect on Dorkula's development?

29. - Top - End - #269

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I think it was the case in pre-Dracula folklore though as well- Buffy didn't just create the idea out of nowhere.
    Depends on what culture you're talking about. From my understanding of European folklore, the belief that daemons caused vampires was less common that the belief that the damned souls of those not buried properly would linger, then rise at night to seek the blood of the living. Basically, vampire legends are a warning to preform burial correctly to prevent the spread of disease.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

What a cool trip these nine days have been! I must confess, I tried to stay awake last night to see them ending, but I claudicated in the end (I am in Europe, so that was pretty late... or even early). Thanks Giant!

So now the situation is not that bad for the order. Malack and Durkon, both without spells (or nearly so) are looking for the LG inside the pyramid, because Malack was not there for the teleportation and he is not asking his thrall about what happened. Behind them you have the Order and Belkar. I am assuming Belkar will be found shortly, given that he is pretty close to the others. And the rest of the LG (minus Sabine) is only now re-entering the place.

I wonder if V will also rejoin on time or if we will get to see a Malack/V duel, and the effects this will have over Belkar.