Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Stats for birds?

I've been trying to find stats on birds, beyond whats in the SRD (Hawk, Eagle, Raven, Owl, I think is the list)

Is there a source for other birds? I'm looking for a humming bird specifically, but really my curiosity would be happy to see anything other than whats in the MM.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Stats for birds?

Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    I've been trying to find stats on birds, beyond whats in the SRD (Hawk, Eagle, Raven, Owl, I think is the list)

Is there a source for other birds? I'm looking for a humming bird specifically, but really my curiosity would be happy to see anything other than whats in the MM.
    You can get a hummingbird as a familiar in one of the Dragon Magazines iirc. The stats might be there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jywu98 View Post
    You can get a hummingbird as a familiar in one of the Dragon Magazines iirc. The stats might be there.
    Ahh thank you.

That just points me at the back of the DMG, but I'd no idea there were more animals hidden there!
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

The big list of birds:

DMG adds a couple of Diminutive birds- Screech Owl, and Thrush.

Note that these are already statted as familiars. They're on p203

It also has Medium Owls and Small Ravens (so, each a size larger than their MM counterparts). They're on p204.

Frostburn has Penguins (Tiny, p166). On page 45 it states they can be used as familiars (grant +2 to Fort saves). It also has alternate familiar abilities for some birds.

Puffin- alternate Raven- grants master +2 to Swim and Survival, instead of being able to speak.

Snowy Owl- alternate Owl- grants master +3 to Move Silently, instead of +3 to Spot in dark conditions.

Sandstorm has Vultures (Small, p195). Not available as familiars though.

Stormwrack has stats for Albatross (Small, p166). They are available as familiars (+1 Spot). Parrots and Fish Owls are mentioned on p52 as familiars- Fish Owls are the same as Owls, Parrots are the same as Ravens.

Dragon 323 (September 2004): Hummingbird- As Thrush, but grants master +4 Initiative.

Dragon 341 (March 2006) has Crow (as Raven, but grants +2 to Fort as a familiar) Dark Chanting Goshawk (as Hawk, but grants +2 to Will as a familiar) and Great Horned Owl (2HD Owl, only available as an Improved familiar)

Races of Faerun has stats for Ibis (can be used to represent small herons, spoonbills, stork. They are Tiny and grant +3 to Spot, as familiars.

Oriental Adventures provides incomplete stats for Sparrows- as an alternate form for hengeyokai- p12. They are Fine size and do no damage- maybe their mental stats, skills, and chosen feat, could be assigned. Possibly copied off Thrush.

For birds that don't exist, but might possibly have prehistoric analogs:

MMII (p76), and Races of the Wild (p189): Dire Hawk (Medium)
    Races of the Wild (p188): Chordevoc (Tiny- has Blindsense)
    Races of Stone (p186) Dire Eagle (Large)
    Sandstorm (p152): Dire Vulture (Large)

These are everything I'm managed to track down. MM2 also has Legendary animals- but I'm not sure if they count.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2013-03-09 at 06:33 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele