Transmutation
    Level: sor/wiz 2, Drd 2
    Component: V
    Casting time: 1 immediate action
    Range: personal
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving throw:reflex
    Spell resistance: yes

After intoning several worlds, the very air around you seems to burst in to flame momentarily.

When the caster is Attacked in melee by a non-reach weapon , he may use a immediate action to cast this spell which cause the air around the caster to momentarily burst in to flames .take 1d6 points of fire damage plus an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 2 caster levels to a maximum of 5d6.

When the spell ends the flames disappear, just as quickly as they appeared.

Acrid Shield (acid)
    Transmutation
    Saving throw: reflex

After speaking a couple of sour words the air around the caster is tinted dark green.

When the caster is Attacked in melee by a non-reach weapon , he may use a immediate action to cast this spell which turns the air around the caster to become acidic.The target that attacked the caster take 1d6 points of acid damage plus an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 2 caster levels to a maximum of 5d6

When the spell ends the acid disappears from the air and the air reverts back to it's original colour.

Cryoshield(cold)
    Transmutation
    Saving throw:reflex

After intoning several worlds, the temperature of the air around you plummets significantly.

When the caster is Attacked in melee by a non-reach weapon , he may use a immediate action to cast this spell which cause the air around the caster to momentarily plummet in temperature .The creature that attacked the caster take 1d6 points of cold damage plus an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 2 caster levels to a maximum of 5d6
    Last edited by smoke prism; 2013-03-11 at 01:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A couple of spells I made.

Maybe just combine them into one spell and have the caster choose an elemental type either upon casting or upon preparing it. They're the exact same spell, just with a different damage type.

Other than that, the only thing I could say is I don't think I would want to prepare spells that assume I'm going to be hit in melee. Perhaps they would be more valuable to a class that stands in melee and uses magic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with Xeratos, they should be a single spell. Looking at them, you could probably drop them a level, making them Duskblade/Warmage spells doesn't seem off, either.

Also, these are probably better as Evocation spells, rather than Transmutation.

The damage calculation is confusing, is it 1d6 +1 per two caster levels, or it it 1d6 per 2 caster levels? As in, if you cast this spell with a Caster Level of 8, would the spell deal 1d6+4 damage or 4d6 damage?
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I like both the flavor behind them and the usefulness to a surprised mage. For an immediate action (far better than a standard action) at level 2 the damage is a bit high, but that works well together with the drawback of getting close enough to be hit as a mage. And with the drawback of having a save. I presume the damage is 1d6 + 1d6 per 2 caster levels?

I think the damage should be changed so that fire does more than cold which does more than acid. Perhaps d8/d6/d4. Or else everyone will pick acid. Other than that it looks great.

On to the nitpicks:

The *'s and /'s confuse me to no end.

Ya it should be evocation. The existing spell fire shield is evocation. The acid version might be conjuration, and likewise might be SR:no, assuming the damage was reduced.

If they were psionic I'd agree they should be merged, but as arcane magic the precedent is to have different spells. And it makes it less trivial to bypass resistances. OTOH fire shield allows both fire and cold, but there's some fluff behind it.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2013-03-10 at 05:04 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    The *'s and /'s confuse me to no end.
    Quoted for so much truth. I'll come back and re-read this later, but my eyes are hurting and I think I need to lie down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

For comparison

Fire Shield
    {Core Rulebook}
    Evocation [fire or cold]
    Level: sorcerer/wizard 4
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Components: V, S, M (phosphorus for the warm shield; a firefly or glowworm for the chill shield)
    Target: you
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)

This spell wreathes you in flame and causes damage to each creature that attacks you in melee. The flames also protect you from either cold-based or fire-based attacks, depending on if you choose cool or warm flames for your fire shield.

Any creature striking you with its body or a handheld weapon deals normal damage, but at the same time the attacker takes 1d6 points of damage + 1 point per caster level (maximum +15). This damage is either cold damage (if you choose a chill shield) or fire damage (if you choose a warm shield). If the attacker has spell resistance, it applies to this effect. Creatures wielding melee weapons with reach are not subject to this damage if they attack you.

When casting this spell, you appear to immolate yourself, but the flames are thin and wispy, increasing the light level within 10 feet by one step, up to normal light. The color of the flames is blue or green if the chill shield is cast, violet or red if the warm shield is employed. The special powers of each version are as follows.

Chill Shield: The flames are cool to the touch. You take only half damage from fire-based attacks. If such an attack allows a Reflex save for half damage, you take no damage on a successful saving throw.

Warm Shield: The flames are warm to the touch. You take only half damage from cold-based attacks. If such an attack allows a Reflex save for half damage, you take no damage on a successful saving throw.

Immediate actions are essentially free, especially at low levels where the caster is unlikely to have other spells with that casting time. So, for 2 levels less than Fire Shield, you get a one shot use of its effect once / day.

This is assuming your damage is 1d6+ 1 per caster level. Your damage codes are incomprehensible as written.

Since it only hits once it would be weaker than magic missile were it not for the immediate action casting time which lets it come out of nowhere. That sets it at 2nd level for sure.

Overall, it's just too similar to Fire Shield.
    Last edited by Alias; 2013-03-11 at 07:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Change have be made to the damage code.
    Thankyou everyone for commenting

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, 1d6 / 2 caster levels? Broken.

Compare quickened magic missile, which is 5th level and requires a feat slot, but still deals less damage than your spell on a failed save. Allowing a reflex save might make up for the feat slot - but you still have to explain 4 levels of power. Medium range versus close is not 4 levels either. Also, immediate actions can be taken when flat footed, a quickened spell is a swift action which can NOT be taken flat footed.

No. Back to the drawing board with you.
    Last edited by Alias; 2013-03-11 at 01:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Well I saw the high power and thought the drawback of getting hit as a squishy mage balanced out the advantage. Without the drawback I'd say it's about 3rd-4th level, because of the save negates (not even save half) and because quickened magic missile isn't a very good use of quicken. Whenever you're forced to use a low level spell the non-damage no save (or good on a passed save) ones are much more efficient. Ray of enfeeblement, web, true strike, etc.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2013-03-11 at 03:46 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Well I saw the high power and thought the drawback of getting hit as a squishy mage balanced out the advantage.
    Read the broken spell again - Druid 2. Not to mention Magus can get to it as well. Neither of those are squishy.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm about 95% sure that druid wasn't originally on the list, and that it was sor/wiz only.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd also stick them on the Duskblade spell list, perhaps as a level 1 Duskblade spell. Maybe even on the Hexblade list as-is too.

Other than that, these spells look decent and not OP.
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2013-03-12 at 06:23 AM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

5d6 as a free action is very overpowered for 2nd. Try 4th.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

5d6 is, on average, 17.5 damage, to a max of 30.

It also carries the drawback of taking a hit. Which will probably be dealing way more damage than the attack itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!