New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Unenforcable House Rules You'd Like To Have

Just what the title says - House Rules you'd impliment, if they weren't wholey unfeasible. I'll start us off.

1: The Intelligence of Wisdom of a character may not differ from that of the corresponding player by more than eight points.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Unenforcable House Rules You'd Like To Have

2: No out of game chatting! Ever! Be serious for the entire game with no OOC for a night.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

3. No meta-gaming. Your character doesn't have access to he same information as you. This goes for the GM and NPC's too.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

4. You can't always dump charisma, and if you do then you just couldn't talk your way out of situations.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

5. No skeeving out the other players and the GM with overly-sexualized intra-party RP.

6. No skeeving out the players by acting out as a dainty, yet randy, Southern lady who is just overcome with the vapors by the mere presence of the PCs. Particularly when you're a gigantic bearded Scotsman whose wife is in absolute stitches at the rest of the players going green with disgust.

7. No just saying 'I attack' when you're attacking. That's offensively boring, and you know better.

8. Changing the GM's mind about a previous ruling should be limited to logic and a clearly backed up verbal or written argument. Blatantly showing off the goods to momentarily stupefy the GM is unsporting, regardless of your gender.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OverdrivePrime View Post
    5. No skeeving out the other players and the GM with overly-sexualized intra-party RP.

6. No skeeving out the players by acting out as a dainty, yet randy, Southern lady who is just overcome with the vapors by the mere presence of the PCs. Particularly when you're a gigantic bearded Scotsman whose wife is in absolute stitches at the rest of the players going green with disgust.

7. No just saying 'I attack' when you're attacking. That's offensively boring, and you know better.

8. Changing the GM's mind about a previous ruling should be limited to logic and a clearly backed up verbal or written argument. Blatantly showing off the goods to momentarily stupefy the GM is unsporting, regardless of your gender.
    ... dude, what kind of games are you playing?

9. play to screw up, the climb back up is part of the fun

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

if only i could have one, i'd go with fair play.
    10. roleplaying an asshat is fine. being an asshat is not.
    spoilered for rant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    i call myself a loony. i make sure my character is both entertaining and efficient in his given role. for example: i create a homebrewed troll paladin, he can do three things: survive houses falling on him repeatedly (thus generating a running gag), healing, and hitting things really hard. what he can't do: speak a language because he's that dumb. he did befriend the wizard, but he couldn't speak a language to save his life. was he efficient in his given role? yup, and i roleplayed him accordingly (going so far as hugging the wizard's player and petting him on the head). a great night was had by everyone, despite the fact that i basically tanked 120 guys at the same time, while the casters threw ice cubes at them.

what i won't do.

create a flavorless character based solely on the crunch, using 9 splatbooks and 3 dragon mag articles to have the most min-maxed thing ever, only to have the player go "i rock! i rule! you all suck!", and forgetting the "roleplaying" part in "roleplaying game".
    i've got this kind of player in my group, and his lack of sportsmanship is really grating. although pen and paper is a team game, he tries to play it solo (with disastrous results). i've tried to talk about it to him, only for him to call me "jealous". sorry, but i much prefer my dreadlocked dwarven cleric to his generic heavy chested "omg supermodel" sorceress. at least i get to drink with the monk!
    Last edited by Guizonde; 2013-03-11 at 09:10 PM.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

8. - Top - End - #8

11. It is against The Rules to get sick and be unable to make it to game if you're the GM.
    Last edited by Dust; 2013-03-11 at 09:13 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

12. It is against the rules to think that Kender and Fishmalks are good ideas.

"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."
    ~George Bernard Shaw, 1856-1950

High 5e: A Review, Resource, & Request Thread for 3rd party 5th Edition Sourcebooks.

Spheres of Power & Might by Setting

Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

13. Know how your character works. Yes, that means knowing what all your spells do.

14. Don't try to insert yourself in every scene. Let other characters have a chance to have a normal conversation.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

15 Reap what you Sow and be mature about it when you got it coming
    16 The 12 year old should not be the most mature player in the room
    If you wish to have a voice chat, Send me a PM and we can arrange it. Provided you use skype.

I do not give permission for posts may be used for research purposes unless written permission is given.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    ... dude, what kind of games are you playing?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ugh - all of my previous ones were from an AD&D 2nd ed, and a Shadowrun 2nd ed campaign from many years ago. Elliott, you remember Forger, right? From Pimptania? Picture the dude acting like his idea of a sexy southern belle, just desperate to get in your pants. Horrifying!
    And yes, whiskey was involved.

He was also the DM when the ludicrously well-endowed belly dancer in our game group decided to play unfair when it came to discussing the rules. This was the same game where I played a skinny halfling rogue who kept getting jammed into the busty player's character's cleavage and carried around, because my move rate was too slow. It was... more than slightly emasculating. I haven't played a halfling since.

17. Thou Shalt Not Bring Cheap Beer to the Game Table

18. Nor Shalt Thou Always Mooch and Never Contribute
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

13. - Top - End - #13

DrowGuy

18. Nor Shalt Thou Always Mooch and Never Contribute
    QFT. that right there busted up one gaming group i was in.

19. if the dm has to call upon rule 0 more than 3 times due to your nitpicking or derailing, you are banned from the table.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”

when in doubt,

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ugh - all of my previous ones were from an AD&D 2nd ed, and a Shadowrun 2nd ed campaign from many years ago. Elliott, you remember Forger, right? From Pimptania? Picture the dude acting like his idea of a sexy southern belle, just desperate to get in your pants. Horrifying!
    And yes, whiskey was involved.

He was also the DM when the ludicrously well-endowed belly dancer in our game group decided to play unfair when it came to discussing the rules. This was the same game where I played a skinny halfling rogue who kept getting jammed into the busty player's character's cleavage and carried around, because my move rate was too slow. It was... more than slightly emasculating. I haven't played a halfling since.
    ... there is something both awesome and disturbing about that mental image... (the sexy southern belle part, not the belly dancer part, though that's awesome too)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

20. Thou shalt care about the setting, and at least SOME of the NPCs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

21: Those who attempt to start arguments about alignment shall be smote.
    Last edited by Pyro_Azer; 2013-03-11 at 11:26 PM.
    Rules of Life:
    1: Everything Burns
    2: If something does not burn see rule 1.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyCheeseMan View Post
    Just what the title says - House Rules you'd impliment, if they weren't wholey unfeasible. I'll start us off.

1: The Intelligence of Wisdom of a character may not differ from that of the corresponding player by more than eight points.
    I wonder why? But nah, I would limit it so it's an upper cap. A guy who, in real life, might have a 9 Int, is going to have a hard time properly playing a wizard with 18 Int anyway.

22: Players should be rewarded for doing something illogical and possibly suicidal if it is in character for them to do so.

The problem being? I see a situation where you want to reward the player because your Lawful Good style soldier jumped on a grenade to save his platoon. Good, heroic. He should be rewarded... but he's DEAD. That character cannot be rewarded, he just blew himself to hell for good reason. And if you give him benefits on his replacement character to go for it, it often doesn't make sense and makes other players envious.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

18. - Top - End - #18

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ArcturusV View Post
    22: Players should be rewarded for doing something illogical and possibly suicidal if it is in character for them to do so.

The problem being? I see a situation where you want to reward the player because your Lawful Good style soldier jumped on a grenade to save his platoon. Good, heroic. He should be rewarded... but he's DEAD. That character cannot be rewarded, he just blew himself to hell for good reason. And if you give him benefits on his replacement character to go for it, it often doesn't make sense and makes other players envious.
    i don't see the problem, you can always make him have a parting quip to be truly badass, or anything really to bolster the roleplay. heck, even leave him a 1% chance of survival (like, say, if he shielded the cleric or something).

i'm totally with you on the buffing the reroll. that's no, just no.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Griffon

23. Players who feel compelled to say "I'm just roleplaying" or "That's what my character would do" in response to being a donkey cavity to the party shall be flogged, tarred, feathered, and thrown out the door.

24. Yes, really, there's no such thing as a critical fumble. Never existed. Never will again.

25. When the DM is told well in advance a player is unable to play a certain day, the DM shall not schedule the next game on that day anyway.

26. The DM shall not purposely overwhelm the party with bad guys to have an NPC save them.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Too many enforceable house rules here =X

27. Players shall lay down and allow me to railroad them when I want them to be railroaded, and shall take the initiative when I want them to play in a sandbox.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    i'm totally with you on the buffing the reroll. that's no, just no.
    I'd be okay with it. If you want PCs to do things like Heroic Self-Sacrifices, reward them for it. (I remember at least one RPG which had this as an official rule - some Samurai game where life was cheap, I think.)
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

28. Thout shalt not quote Monty Python, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or the Goon Show
    (It always results in counter quotes and counter counter or pedantic corrections to the quotation)

I've imposed a penalty of quotes longer than 5 words... it didn't work they just did 5 words each.
    Last edited by mjlush; 2013-03-12 at 02:27 AM.
    Michael Lush
    NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjlush View Post
    28. Thout shalt not quote Monty Python, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or the Goon Show
    (It always results in counter quotes and counter counter or pedantic corrections to the quotation)

I've imposed a penalty of quotes longer than 5 words... it didn't work they just did 5 words each.
    Or Gilbert & Sullivan.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If a player is willing to sacrifice his character for some higher purpose in keeping with the nature of the character, then at the very least that sacrifice should work exceptionally well. He saves the rest of the party from certain death, he manages to take the big villain down with him, the glory of his sacrifice lives on in generations to come, etc.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

29. One must create a character that fits the setting well (enough) and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

30. Just because your Bard has a high climb skill doesn't mean you can sing Cliff Richards songs all through the session.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

31. If your not PCs are not in the same place you can't talk to one another. And saying "It's OOC" does not mean you can give advice on behalf of your PC. All advice given must be instantly forgotten and not be "entierly my own plan that just happens to follow what another player just said but was told they could not have said as they were 20 miles away".
    Last edited by GnomeFighter; 2013-03-12 at 05:27 AM.
    GnomeFighter, Membership Advisor, Henchpersons Union, South and Central (UK) branch - Ask about membership today!

Injured in an evil experiment gone wrong? Suffered defending your employers lair? Get the compensation you deserve! Why wait until you have a doomsday device to exact revenge? Call the Henchpersons Union today. Our specialist evil injury lawyers are waiting to help!

Remember, just because the world will suffer doesn't mean you should too!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

As long as the reward doesn't turn it logical, or negate the chance of suicide and thus making it the prudent course of action.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Or Gilbert & Sullivan.
    I'd love to see a player quote Gilbert & Sullivan, especially if they claim to be the very model of a something.
    Last edited by Studoku; 2013-03-12 at 06:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

32. All players must define their character's personality traits and behaviorism and not deviate from them overtly.

33. Players must try to roleplay their character's mental scores.

34. The DM must voice act all NPCs. Exaggeration is preferable.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal