Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default What do you eat when you play tabletops?

What do you eat/drink when you play D&D/other roleplaying games?

I play D&D across from a Wienerschnitzel ... so you can probably guess.
    My HTML to BB Code converter. Paste into the top box from any word processor/online source. No more tables by hand!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What do you eat when you play tabletops?

Chip A'hoy and Hawaiian punch.
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2013-03-15 at 05:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

We do a potluck, since we always have a fair number of players and have 100% attendance!

Last time we had wraps with spicy chicken, some pop, and some fruit salad (just a mix of fruit).

Before that, we had tacos, and snacks.

Before that, chili!
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

My groups tend to start right after dinner, so usually not much. We've ordered pizza a few times. And occasionally I'll use M&Ms or something as minion tolkens-- kill a mook, eat the candy.

STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm on a first name basis with the local Pizzeria sometimes they give me discounts for repeated service

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The other week I made rice crispy squares for my group - and then it was canceled due to weather so family and I ate it. But then, when we played the next weekend I wipped up another batch the night before. Really quick and simple to make.

Tea and lemonade also made the list for that one, and then later we had some pizza.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Usually we get pizza, burgers, or kebab. 'sall good. One guy always brings his own bottle of wine.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since we play at my house, I mostly take charge of snacks and suchlike. Some nights we order pizza. When we don't, everyone either eats before they come or picks up fast food on the way. During the game, we often have chips, pre-packaged cookies and the like. (One of our group has some pretty serious food allergies so we tend to stick to things that we know are safe.) I keep the fridge stocked with sodas and beers and everyone pretty much just helps themselves over the course of the night. Some nights someone will decide to bring some kind of drink or snack along for the group. I was actually introduced to my favorite liquor to add to sodas and such when a player brougth a bottle to share at D&D night.

Since I enjoy cooking and especially baking, some nights (once every two or three months) I'll put together some homemade cookies, pie, brownies or something (with all recipes and ingredients being approved by the player with the allergies, of course.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

We play on a weekday evening, after dinner. I bring a carrot, along with babybel cheese and mejdool dates. The latter two are shared with the group.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Soup and a sandwich from the local jasons deli. We usually play sundays so if I don't end up getting there before the church crowd arrives I usually order a little jimmyjohns for delivery

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

A few years ago, the husband of one of our players was making sausages. He changed his mind at the last minute, shaped the meat carefully before cooking, and served us rat on a stick.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Cheetos and mountain dew
    Ok jokes aside we usually get some sort of party snack mix or like chips and dip for dnd night. Although we usually have cola of some kind (a favorite is generic brand mountain dew). We usually eat before the game so nothing super heavy. Occasionally we order out.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Chicken Shawarma. There's a place right where I get off the bus when heading to my DM's house for game, always grab it on the way by.

In terms of munchies, that varies, but with a Bulk Barn nearby, the answer is usually "What do I feel like this week".

Previously it was yogurt covered raisins. Yum!
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Chips, Cookies, and other snacks.
    Pizza, Sausage, Burgers

Every now and then I do my Pork Shoulder Steam Buns and other things like Potstickers
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

A few years back when I was taking part in weekly game sessions, I would usually pick up some coca cola, potato chips, and something sweet on the way over to the DMs place, sometimes I also picked up a pizza or other similar take-away foods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

My dm lives in a duplex. The owner of a very good pizzaria rents the other unit. So, we order form them most of the time and almost always get some sort of freebie. At worst, a giant order of (deliciously sugar and fat covered) cinnamon sticks, at best a pizza. I used to order their broccoli, garlic, and shrimp pizza (which became my favorite pizza ever.) But, then I discovered their giros when I was too short on cash to order a pizza. I haven't ordered the pizza since.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

17. - Top - End - #17

It's random for my group. Being the chef in the group Sometimes I barbecue anything from burgers to kebabs, we make stir fry or we shout back and forth for about two hours trying to decide what we want for dinner, and inevitably end up going to charleys Sandwich shop.

we generally don't start til midnight on saturday nights, and sometimes we just drive over to dennys after the game; with so many place around where I live (we play at my place) theres pretty much anything we could want in the area.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Pizza and soda of choice.

Pizza is a great-tasting, high-energy food, as is soda, and the pizza offsets the caffeine symptoms, leaving players from being all hyperactive.

Occasionally I get chinese, but then I'm hungry in like two hours.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Pizza and soda. Sometimes there are chips if it's at a person's house.

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

Sometimes nothing, sometimes a sandwich or something. Occasionally, somebody makes something for everybody and/or everyone has beer or wine. There's always coffee.
    Signatures are so 90's.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

We usually don't eat and play. We take a break to eat ordered food or what I cooked as the games are held at my place. I make everything from sandwiches, to steaks, lasagna, all kinds of pasta and salads. One of my gamers is also loves to cook so he occasionally takes over the cooking duties.
    What doesn't kill you makes you... stranger.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The groups I've been a part of have generally taken food breaks, going to some fast-food restaurant or to a grocery store and getting snacks (or ingredients for snacks).

It actually makes me shudder a little bit. So much greasy food.. Ugh.

Alternatively, I've seen a lot of games that are actually played inside of a Denny's or some other restaurant that's open 24 hours a day. The waitstaff enjoys the tips, and as long as you're not gaming in the middle of the day (most gamers I know are night-owls) the management doesn't mind.
    Remember, Towel Day is May 25th!
    "X is a trope" is not a valid argument, nor is it evidence.

Disclaimer:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the above post was written any time between 4AM and noon Mountain Time (10:00-20:00 GMT), it was probably written while I ought to have been sleeping. So, sorry. Unless an apology isn't necessary and whatever I wrote was awesome. In that case, you're welcome.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Simple microwaved or homemade popcorn, generally speaking.
    I think I just failed a Spot check.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Usually pizza if we play for a while. Always try to have coke on hand.

Snack wise, usually trail mix or something like that. I try to stay away from stuff that leaves orange crud on my fingers.

25. - Top - End - #25

Back when I had an IRL group, it was either Chick-Fil-A, or a burger joint usually.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

26. - Top - End - #26

DrowGuy

what do we eat when we're gaming? beer. oh, and coca-cola for the teatotallers.

regarding actual chewy food, dried meat in all its glorious, mouth watering forms *drools* mostly (southern france will do that to you, turns out it's great for gaming well into the night, being high calorie)

... don't judge us, in vino veritas after all
    Last edited by Guizonde; 2013-03-14 at 08:29 PM.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

27. - Top - End - #27

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    what do we eat when we're gaming? beer. oh, and coca-cola for the teatotallers.

regarding actual chewy food, dried meat in all its glorious, mouth watering forms *drools* mostly (southern france will do that to you, turns out it's great for gaming well into the night, being high calorie)

... don't judge us, in vino veritas after all
    I'm going to judge you.

Signatures are so 90's.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to judge you.

Agreed!

Actually sounds like something I'll try to get my folks to do when I teach them to play (either this weekend or next, just waiting for their dice to come in the mail.)

What specifically do you suggest?
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

29. - Top - End - #29

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Agreed!

Actually sounds like something I'll try to get my folks to do when I teach them to play (either this weekend or next, just waiting for their dice to come in the mail.)

What specifically do you suggest?
    truly depends where geographically you are, and if you trust your butcher's quality (i know i've got 3 different ones based on my needs).

i'd recommend dry- or semi-dry saucisson (less grease on the fingers), especially if made with real guts (not plastic, you can't eat that), bayonne ham, chorizo (mild or spicy, to taste), salami (pretty greasy though), aaaaaand toasted whole-wheat bread with a paté of your choice (pheasant, boar, pork, hell, even duck mousse). then again, i'm most likely speaking gibberish to you guys, seeing as how i don't know where you guys live.

when in doubt, deli meats and jerky should help you yanks out. remember one rule: screw the price, quality before all. you're roleplaying, make sure it's as memorable to the palate as to the imagination! [/gourmand]
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    I'm going to judge you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Usually we get together to game on Thursdays after everyone has dinner with their families, so most nights we just have 3-4 six packs of craft beers (I generally bring Imperial Stouts or Scotch Ales, others bring more hoppy offerings) and usually chips and salsa or pretzels.

Back before everyone was married, we'd usually eat dinner together while preparing for the game. I'd usually make a huge pot of spaghetti bolognese.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.