Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default 100 miles to the Empire OOC

Right. Here's our OOC thread. Now, before I begin, I'd like everyone to think a bit about the other characters and how they would relate. You wouldn't necessarily be friends, but as you all possess Numen, you would stand out even amongst a few thousand soldiers, and certainly amongst the officers. You would have seen each other.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: 100 miles to the Empire OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Last edited by Quakes; 2013-03-21 at 03:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

STR 10 DEX 17 CON 10 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 8
    HP 6/6 AC 13 Spot/Listen +6
    Spells
    Level 0: 3/4 Level 1: 4/4
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Here's my sheet. Looking at the other characters, Alexandros would probably know of Lycomedes and Rindon as leader of the mage auxilleries, as they both have magic. Whether they would have been my direct command is up to Eldan, not sure myself. Alexandros definitely would have received reports and talked with them, but not known them well. He would have been sneery about Auðr, due to her perceived "barbarianism", but not openly insulting since she is half roman. "Drusus Claudius Pulcher" would be the other PC Alexandros knew the best, due to them both being officers.
    Last edited by yugi24862; 2013-03-21 at 03:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateGuy

I probably would have brought intelligence reports on enemy magesto you, but I would have been reporting directly to the temple, going out on missions when they requested it. I would have been under the mundane leadership to report on troop movements and help supply the army.

I would probably have interacted with Audr, if he was helping heal the army, as the priests would have been working together and I would have been keeping them provisioned.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alexandros Mithridates
    Did he really survive the end of the battle... by sleeping drunk through it?

Anyway, I don't think Alexandros and Audr will have gotten along before the start of play. I can see her as having had to translate for him and his troops at some point in the past, and neither the belief in the superiority of his own magic nor the 'untrustworthy savages' mindset towards Germans would have endeared him towards the twin-casting German.

(Note, she's fully German. Rindon's the half-German.)

Drusilla Claudia Pulcher
    As I mentioned a while back, I like the thought that Audr would have been a conspirator in Drusilla's attempt to pass herself off as Drusus. That's the sort of deception that won't survive the first examination of your body, which means you'd need one of the garrison doctors who was willing to play along. After all, just because Audr doesn't hide her gender doesn't stop her understanding why another woman might.

Lycomedes
    I think, so long as Lycomedes and Audr didn't discuss religion, they'd get along really well. You're not prejudiced against her people, not massively above Audr's station, and the Scout and the Druid clearly share a love of the countryside... I could certainly have seen the two foraging together in the past, whenever Audr's medical and linguistic duties allowed her to be spared. After all, that +12 in Survival has to be good for something ;)

(Oh, and for the record, Audr isn't the one pretending to be a man, that's Drusilla :P )

Rindon
    I don't think Audr and Rindon would have known each other that well. He doesn't seem to spend an awful lot of time with the legions, so... Still, on the other hand, I'm guessing when you do Rindon's languages again, one of them will be German. I suppose they could have spoken a few times purely to help Rindon keep his German practiced. Still, don't think they'd know each other all that well.

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateGuy

Istvaeonic is my Germanic dialiect...too specific? lol.
    I could change it to just German.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

8. - Top - End - #8

I think we should be fine for this game if we called the languages just "Germanic" and "Celtic". Sometimes you can sacrifice a bit of granularity for the sake of the game.
    "

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Technically, at this point in history, we're all speaking dialects of Germannic rather than distinct languages. If I wanted to be technical, my Triboci would also be speaking Istvaeonic.

I'm quite amused that you went for a specific variant of German (several centuries before it split into separate languages) but not of Celtic (which separated much earlier - at around this point in time, it had split into Gaulish (Gaul), Celtiberian (Hispania), Brythonic (Britain) and what would eventually be recorded as 'Primitive Irish'.

I'm curious why Lycomedes would know any variant of Germanic. It doesn't seem a normal choice of language for someone who, going by their name, comes from a Greek or Greek-Influenced part of the Empire... Same for Gaulish actually.

Edit: But yes, I'm happy to just go with 'Germanic' and 'Celtic'.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2013-03-21 at 06:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateGuy

He was taught various common languages so he could understand people when doing reconnaissance, and to blend in if the stealth failed

Yea, I thought about the Celtic dialects too, but I hadn't done the research on it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Oh, I'm not disputing Lycomedes having learned extra languages as a child, just curious why he picked those two. Unless he grew up in Gaul, they wouldn't have been great choices. Considering his name's Greek, I'd have expected a Mediterranean language or two. Maybe Coptic, Parthian, or your choice of African languages.

*shrug* Not terribly important, just something I'm curious about.

Anyway, back onto the stuff that matters: Comments on my proposed relations between Lycomedes and Audr?

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Oh, I'm not disputing Lycomedes having learned extra languages as a child, just curious why he picked those two. Unless he grew up in Gaul, they wouldn't have been great choices. Considering his name's Greek, I'd have expected a Mediterranean language or two. Maybe Coptic, Parthian, or your choice of African languages.
    He wouldn't have learned them as a child, but been trained in relation to the war effort. Hell, maybe he even learned Germanic from you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Personally, I'd recommend Rindon as your German teacher, if you want to use another PC. Purely because he would have been in the army when you were training, whearas Audr is younger and (probably) newer than Lycomedes. ;)

Admittedly, that's only relevant if Rindon speaks German. Instead of the current Orc and Goblin on his sheet

Anyway, this is the stuff I wanted comments on. I can't make these decisions unilaterally, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Lycomedes
    I think, so long as Lycomedes and Audr didn't discuss religion, they'd get along really well. You're not prejudiced against her people, not massively above Audr's station, and the Scout and the Druid clearly share a love of the countryside... I could certainly have seen the two foraging together in the past, whenever Audr's medical and linguistic duties allowed her to be spared. After all, that +12 in Survival has to be good for something ;)

(Oh, and for the record, Audr isn't the one pretending to be a man, that's Drusilla :P )

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Here is the sheet for Drusilla Claudia.

The suggestion of Audr knowing her secret would be nice, it would give a reason for them to not only know each other but also for Claudia to do the person who knows her secret some favours.

As one of the highest officers in the army Claudia would certainly know Mithradates, if only from briefings and the like. She would maybe recognize Lycomedes from a report, but probably wouldn't know his name and the like.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlueKnightGuy

Rindon

Ok, I have fixed my languages now. That was a strange oversight.

I think that Rindon and Lycomedes would know each other, as they both have similar duties scouting. They probably would have worked together in the past.

Rindon would be at least acquaintances with Alexandros because of their magical link, maybe even done some training together, but Rindon does not report to his unit.

Rindon is familiar with both Audr and Drusus (as far as he knows), but not very. He has had a few conversations with Audr and gone to her for healing once, but nothing deep. Drusus he knows more by reputation than anything. Maybe a few words shared on occasion.

16. - Top - End - #16

AssassinGuy

Whoiam: Not through the entire thing.He managed to survive the ambushes through invisibility, but once the retreats started, and his unit was mostly slaughtered, he saw the situation as hopeless and just drank, then passed out in the woods near the legions last camp. Since the Germans were so focused and chasing down the remnants of the legions and looting, he managed to avoid getting killed. And if your fully German, Alexandros probably despises you even more.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Relationships (So far)
    Alexandros
    Spoiler
    Show

Audr
    Alexandros openly hates Audr... mainly for being a barbarian German.

Claudia
    Knows 'him' as a fellow officer, but they don't generally associate outside of their duties.

Lycomedes
    Knows Lycomedes as a scout that occasionally brings intel about opposing mages

Rindon
    Know each other as fellow warmages, and may have trained together at some point in the past.

Audr
    Spoiler
    Show

Alexandros
    Audr had nothing against Alexandros... and then she met him. Now she cares as little for him as he does for her.

Claudia
    Audr's closest ally in the Officers' ranks, for 'personal' reasons. Frequently (though not permanently) attached to Drusilla's command.

Lycomedes
    Not yet agreed between whoiam and Quakes

Rindon
    Remembered mostly as another German (albeit half-German in his case) and occasional patient. They can recognize each other by sight but little more than that.

Claudia
    Spoiler
    Show

Alexandros
    Knows him as a fellow officer, and that's about it.

Audr
    As Claudia's regular healer, Audr is one of the few that knows she's not really Drusus. The fact that she's one of the few people in the army Claudia can really trust helped them grow into close friends despite the disparity in their ranks and stations.

Lycomedes
    Not yet agreed between Raunchel and Quakes

Rindon
    Not yet agreed between Raunchel and Shinovar

Lycomedes
    Spoiler
    Show

Alexandros
    Occasionally reports to Alexandros when he has mage-specific intel to deliver.

Audr
    Not yet agreed between Quakes and whoiam

Claudia
    Not yet agreed between Quakes and Raunchel

Rindon
    Not yet agreed between Quakes and Shinovar

Rindon
    Spoiler
    Show

Alexandros
    Know each other as fellow warmages, and may have trained together at some point in the past.

Audr
    Known mostly as an occasional healer. Little familiarity beyond that.

Claudia
    Not yet agreed between Shinovar and Raunchel

Lycomedes
    Not yet agreed between Shinovar and Quakes

So you know, I've been taking 'both players have commented in a way that doesn't contradict what the other said' as an implicit agreement on what the pre-battle relationships were.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2013-03-23 at 11:11 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

PirateGuy

Makes sense to me, Shinovar. Works out for you to be the German teacher too.

Acquaintance with Audr, probably helped refine the German, and would have chatted in the healing tent.

Not much reason to know Claudia, other than someone in the chain of command.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueKnightGuy

To Quakes: Sure, I'll teach you German.

20. - Top - End - #20

Right. I had intended to start this yesterday, but didn't quite have the time. I'll do it tonight.
    "

21. - Top - End - #21

There we go. I'l start off with a slightly slower pace, so you can get to know each other ingame and decide on immediate goals.
    "

22. - Top - End - #22

Claudia is a rather annoying person, who has an inlated opinion of herself, mostly because of her upbringing and position. She will get a bit nicer later on.

23. - Top - End - #23

AssassinGuy

If Alexandros is wrong, feel free to correct him. Its part of his personalty to always assume he knows best, and that he is right.

24. - Top - End - #24

Sooo... does anyone have any special plans or should I just assume that you all start walking?
    "

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

Well, no one has posted anything to the contrariety...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, I have returned from the land of chocolate and parents, and am ready to resume play! Whether we continue the establishing bickering, or get on with the plot, I'm happy either way :)

27. - Top - End - #27

PirateGuy

Yea, nothing else for me. Was waiting on results from my geography and survival rolls, otherwise, I'm still in follow orders mode.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

28. - Top - End - #28

I'm mostly waiting for something to happen, I assume that we would keep moving, there is some trouble behind us after all.

29. - Top - End - #29

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, I feel like I am waiting for the same thing. I assume we continue moving until something happens.

30. - Top - End - #30

AssassinGuy

No one rolled above 10? We are about to get ambushed so hard.
    Last edited by yugi24862; 2013-04-07 at 03:20 PM.