New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Interrogating the Dead

Due to the limits of the Speak With Dead spell, I was wondering if there was another way to get information out of a hostile dead creature.

In that regard, I was wondering how much information from their life undead have. Depending on that, it might be effective, if not efficient, to simply reanimate (as something more powerful than a zombie, obviously) and then Command the creature, but that gets expensive.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Interrogating the Dead

What's stopping you from just eating the -4 tohit to deal nonlethal damage? Or using a nonlethal weapon like a truncheon or sap?
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2013-03-21 at 08:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

This is only hypothetical at this point. Perhaps, for the sake of argument, they are already dead by the time you get there.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Most intelligent undead are stated outright as only having vague knowledge of their former selves, if any at all. Too busy hating the living and wanting to eat their kidneys for much else. That said, Vampires would be a good way to go, 'cept for the strick "entry" requirements. Otherwise, the Corpse Creature template from BoVD keeps the body's mind intact well enough to retain class levels, and only needs Create Undead. Being allowed to use that book is a different matter.

Ultimately, it falls to the DM if any variety of undead is going to have something useful for you. If you are the DM, well, whatever makes a better story.
    Using Iron Heart surge, I save against fiat. Succeeding that, I am now the DM. For my first act, I am banning the Tome of Battle. Any questions?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

If they remember their past lives, you can always threaten family members.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    If they remember their past lives, you can always threaten family members.
    That presumes that love survives the transition. I think the general assumption is that evil undead (i.e. most of them) would eat their previous families with pleasure.

The general assumption is, AFAIK, that intelligent undead retain memories from life (although they're probably fairly insane by human standards). This unfortunately rarely gets leveraged - something like a wight is a very different creature when you consider it's intelligent and has no reason to be roaming around half-naked and slavering. Wights would be like junior vampires, IMO.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

If intelligent undead retain memories (I haven't seen anything RAW to the contrary), you could try casting Animate Dread Warrior, then commanding it to yield the desired information. Scrolls of the spell are around 1k for a decent CL, which means you not only don't have to carry around Black Onyx, but you don't need to prepare the spell, either.

Dread Warriors also serve you until you die and retain their spellcasting, so that's a nifty bonus.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2013-03-21 at 10:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Alternatively (assuming you're playing 3.5e), absorb mind, a corrupt spell from BoVD, gives you a 25% chance of learning any fact a creature knew in exchange for 2d6 Wisdom damage and eating an ounce of their brain.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Alternatively (assuming you're playing 3.5e), absorb mind, a corrupt spell from BoVD, gives you a 25% chance of learning any fact a creature knew in exchange for 2d6 Wisdom damage and eating an ounce of their brain.
    I prefer Spirit Sense and a nice little Diplomacy check
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

For an extreme option: if they haven't been dead too long and you're capable of getting there, seek out their soul on the outer planes and perform an interrogation (enhanced or not at your option).
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    For an extreme option: if they haven't been dead too long and you're capable of getting there, seek out their soul on the outer planes and perform an interrogation (enhanced or not at your option).
    Wouldn't they have already forgotten it in most cases just by getting there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Depends on who you ask.

The default material for the great wheel cosmology, IIRC, says that they lose it fairly quickly (thus the comment about them being recently deceased) but not instantly.

It's definitely "ask your DM" territory.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign