New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

smile Biting the Big One: Funny PC Deaths

In this thread, please post stories, long or short, about how your player character or some other person's player character died in a campaign.
    This will work for any system. I'll open the thread with a funny PC death story of my own:

My friend was running a Pathfinder campaign and before the end of the first session, he was growing discontent with the campaign so he decided to unleash an avalanche upon the party. Unfortunately for him, they all managed to survive that somehow. So, the DM decided to make a bunch of snow sharks pop out of the rocks and eat the party. No rolls were made. Just everyone died. Apparently these were epic sharks to rival the gods themselves. lol
    Last edited by Fighter1000; 2013-03-25 at 01:41 AM.
    Show mercy, and you will be shown mercy.

"To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage."
    -Yoshimitsu

"Your life is not your own."
    -Some Guy

Death will come to us all eventually

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Biting the Big One: Funny PC Deaths

Well, a near TPK at a group's first session.

So, this guy is starting off an adventure with level 1 characters. We all roll up things for 3rd Edition DnD. Right off the bat we find our adventure involves the town well and this dungeon that is in the town's water source. The paladin, who actually has swim ranks, goes down there. He swims, finds the dungeon entrance, and runs a rope from the bottom of the well to the Dungeon Entrance.

Party cleric dives in. He's wearing his armor. He botches, natural ones, on 4 consecutive swim checks. He has no ranks in it. He drowns. Same with the party rogue. No swim ranks, cannot roll higher than a 4. Drowns. Wizard? Drowns. Only other one to get through was the druid and his dog animal companion. We didn't even crack the dungeon door, didn't even see a hint of a monster, and almost TPKed.

Which is an important lesson no one there forgot. ALWAYS get swim ranks. Always. Even if the guy tells you the campaign will take place entirely in a desert.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I was playing a Human Cleric of Pelor when D&D 3.0 first came out.
    Typical 1st level Cleric with a half way decent stat line (nothing under 10), wearing splint mail and carrying a heavy steel shield and a heavy mace.

Anyway, we were traveling along and we get to this old hermit's tree house. Now this hermit wasn't the usual grumpy, hate everyone type hermit. He just liked living out in the middle of the woods in his tree hut.
    Anyway, we had been sent to find him and give him something from his nephew so he invited up.
    This is where things went sour. The Barbarian climbs up the ladder, totally botches the climb check and reflex save and falls, but survives because I burnt a spell.
    The Rogue only just makes it up.
    I start going up, rolled really well, except I forgot about ACP and encumberance (I was carrying a heavy load). This sent my total score into the negatives. I fell 20' and the DM rolled max on the falling damage...
    Lesson of the story... Take your armour and backpack off before trying to climb a ladder up to a tree house that's 30' up a tree.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    Lesson of the story... Never, ever, ever roll when you can take 10. Because any time you think that something should be impossible to screw up, your d20 is waiting to prove you wrong.
    Fixed.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have a fairly bad habit of dying due to stupid things in Pathfinder, not always my fault.

For example, the party sets fire to a building and attempts to smoke out the BBEG; after a few moments we find out that he has an underground escape route and chase after him. Unfortunately the villain locks the trap door to reach the escape route behind him and leaves the party trapped under a building that is slowly burning down with no way to escape except through the lock. Several failed checks later and the party was thoroughly cooked.

Another time, I built a Half-Orc character with the Tenacious Survivor feat line; I stay upright until at -con and can be healed even a few turns after death. The party is forced to infiltrate a manor by becoming servants, slowly earning the house's trust until we can stop what they are doing.

Each time a character fails they are beaten, slowly the beatings get worse each time the character fails until eventually they simply begin to knock you out from non-lethal damage, preventing you from doing anything else that day. My character manages to spectacularly fail 7 times in a row (on a DC 15 check of varying types) and is given over 150 non-lethal damage before it eventually outright kills him (since it can't knock him out).
    Last edited by GreenZ; 2013-03-24 at 05:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The Barbarian climbs up the ladder, totally botches the climb check and reflex save and falls
    I start going up, rolled really well, except I forgot about ACP and encumberance (I was carrying a heavy load). This sent my total score into the negatives. I fell 20' and the DM rolled max on the falling damage...
    I'm honestly a little puzzled how anyone, however much encumbered, could fail a DC 5 Climb check by 5 after previously making it.

But eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    I'm honestly a little puzzled how anyone, however much encumbered, could fail a DC 5 Climb check by 5 after previously making it.

But eh.
    It's possible. You have to have a negative skill modifier. That's the only way you can roll poorly and get less than zero. However, it's pretty hard to get less than a -5 to your skill check, so even taking 10 you should be able to make a DC 5 even with no ranks and a Strength of 1.

If that's not an advertisement for taking 10, I don't know what is.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2013-03-24 at 06:47 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

So, the players encounter the Big Bad of a current plot arc, the terrorist leader. BBEG offers them a CRAPLOAD of money for giving him a single thing he wants - a girl (who PCs recently saved), who knows some dirty secrets of the current goverment. PCs divide into a two groups - majority of the party tries to bargain with the terrorist, trying to ask even more money, while the jedi simply attacks him after a minute of talking.
    The boss is tough - he drops the jedi with a few blows of his hammer, but eventually he is overpowered and forced to flee. The jedi rolls a constitution check and wakes up. The party's soldier, annoyed by the fact that jedi has just destroyed their chance to be rich, punches the jedi in the face.
    And bypasses his reflex. And damage treeshold. And current hp. Then the jedi announces he has spent all his force points in the fight, so he can't drop unconscious instead of dying.
    Cue to a long, awkward silence.
    Last edited by Hyena; 2013-03-24 at 07:02 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

But eh.
    I didn't make it. Neither did the Barbarian.

My Cleric had a Str of 13 and no ranks in Climb. I rolled a 12 for a total of 13. I forgot to factor in the -15 from my armour, shield and other gear (-7 from armour, -2 from shield and -6 from load) which left me a grand total of -2.

I can't remember exactly what the Barb's Str was, I just know it was less than +4, because he only got a total of 4 on the climb check.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

This was the only Player death I've ever witnessed in a serious game(paranoia exception). Long story. Clip notes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I killed a PC's ingame girlfriend and then a Nazi blows up my van with a million pounds of C4.

This occurred during a villains game. I was playing as Krojack the Russian/Communist supervillain. And my friend was playing a Martial artist ex-Hero known as Shinobi. And Major Panic(I don't remember his real name. A Nazi that some how always had everything planned one step ahead of time.

We were given seperate missions, I was assigned to assassinate the Super Heroine's secret identity whose name escapes me. My friend had set up a date with her, deciding not to tell me and the others.

So while he goes on the "date" I do some investigating at her apartment and realize who she is and that when she is not wearing her super suit she is a normal person and she is the daughter of a superhero.

She returns from her date she immediately sees me. I manage to convince her that I am an FBI agent investigating a situation that could need super help.(My character was embedded in the FBI as a sleeper agent that never was tapped)

During the discussion she turns around and I am about to snap her neck. Outside the window is my friend Shinobi threatening to kill me if I kill her. So I back down and plan for the next session with the GM.

Next Session. Where the death occurs.

Shinobi and the Heroine go out on another date. I setup a three fold plan, I can only remember 2 of the three plan.

1. I set fire to Shinobi's Dojo and plant evidence that makes it look like her Father did it.
    2. I crash my van(driven by George and Paul of the Beatles) into the Heroine while she is going to work in civillain mode and stab her between the ribs.

Shinobi sees me stab the Heroine because he is watching from a 30 story building. To which he jumps off the building and punches me in the face with the full force of gravity behind him. He survives the fall and is about to roll fro damage.

Remember that Nazi who I mentioned before, the one that is always one step ahead of everyone? He uses his ability to have planted a couple hundred pounds of C4 into my van. And blows it up. With me right next to it, unconscious from the punch.

I die. Shinobi uses some bull**** to survive the explosion.

In our last session Shinobi meets up with the Father and asks him why he was so against his daughter dating him and burned down his dojo. In fact the Father liked him. He looked at my new character Krojack 2 and was about to kill him. While my character doesn't remember any of it because he is a different guy.

Good game thinking back.
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Dark Heresy - Playing:
    During a face to face meeting with a greater demon of Slaanesh that had possessed another player:
    Psyker: "I surrender my soul!"
    GM: "Well okay then!"
    Bale, my noble scum, decided that he would rather not have to explain this situation to his handler and promptly obliterated the psyker with a combat shotgun.

Dark Heresy Ascension - GMing:
    - The assassin decided to tell me she could kill anything in the sourcebooks. I nodded sagely and quietly noted her hubris. That session they decided, in lieu of following up on a number of leads they had been handed, to look for illegal fight rings. The psyker (the only sane member of the group) was kind enough to justify it as posing as a group of mercenary soldiers to build rep. They failed to account for their lack of nightvision.
    The assassin lacked remorse after noting the psyker mutilated on the operating table beside him.
    - The assassin bragged about her seventeen attacks and dodge attempts. She decided to take the opportunity to charge the massed rank-and-file militia.
    Moments later she was promptly incinerated by massed las fire.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

My Cleric had a Str of 13 and no ranks in Climb. I rolled a 12 for a total of 13. I forgot to factor in the -15 from my armour, shield and other gear (-7 from armour, -2 from shield and -6 from load) which left me a grand total of -2.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If your character is wearing armor, use the worse figure (from armor or from load) for each category. Do not stack the penalties.
    If you'd actually put your shield away to climb the ladder instead of still wielding it, you'd have had a 4 after taking 10. Which is when the rogue climbs back down and pushes your fat armored behind up the ladder (Aid Another for +2).
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

I can't remember exactly what the Barb's Str was, I just know it was less than +4, because he only got a total of 4 on the climb check.
    Armor and Encumbrance penalties overlap, not stack. You take the worse of the two (But what armor has a -7 ACP?!)
    Last edited by Scow2; 2013-03-24 at 07:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    Armor and Encumbrance penalties overlap, not stack. You take the worse of the two (But what armor has a -7 ACP?!)
    Splint mail and half-plate.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2013-03-24 at 07:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

One from the unfortunate death of a barbarian PC whilst I was DMing.

Long story short the party was exploring a fairly house ruled illusion themed dungeon with puzzles designed to confuse the players as well as their characters, they had already come across a lot of invisible floors, illusionary walls and monsters etc. They had just came to a room seemingly filled with zombies, only the ones at the front were real, once they had cut down the real zombies they got to the illusions with the party barbarian being the first one to work out they weren't real by the fairly obvious lack of bone crunching when he hit one. He then took it upon himself to grab the cleric's shield and bull rush through them to the end of the room believing he would collide with any real ones.

He was correct in his thinking however he didn't expect (despite a spot check, will save and low DC reflex save to grab onto the side) halfway across the room to suddenly plummet through the floor and be promptly gibbed by the drop.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

So… how did you get 20 feet up in the first place if you didn't pass any checks to start with? (Also, as noted, encumbrance doesn't stack with ACPs.)

This sounds more and more like "DM didn't know the rules well enough, and fiated a couple of deaths for no very good reason". (A ladder shouldn't have a DC more than 5, and getting a 4 on the check means you simply make no progress. Since both you and the barbarian would have gotten a 4, you wouldn't have left the ground.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

17. - Top - End - #17

Goblin

So 6 hours of round by round combat of ONE encounter that consisted of 1 druid wild shaped into an eagle and pounding us with call lightning and a group of mounted barbarians. The party was spread out over a half mile or so and doin in combat movement sucked and we couldnt all ever meet up. Me my Bro and a friend were just joining in (me and friend with new characters due to death and my bro as a totally new to the group player). So as i said 6 HOURS of going round by round and the horde and druid killing off the rest of the party 2 by 2 they make it to us.

My friend says to heck with it, strips naked, and charges the horde and gets promply squicked. Im mowed down after words. My bro runs into the woods and hides and is found by the druid and killed not too long after.

My bro does not come back to game with us for 3 years.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Not my character:

Tournament TPK - not my group
    The party has been tasked (by Local Ruler X) with rooting out a haven of powerful and evil wizards. The wizards are mid-to-high-level (10 to 13 or 14, but I don't remember specifically). This specific party marched overland straight at the fortified haven, knocked on the door, and announced that the evildoers needed to Knock It Off and Go Away.

They did not make it through the front door.

TPK of my group a couple of years before I joined it
    1. DM: "The bats have been nesting in this cave for years and years and years. There's guano everywhere."
    2. DM: "The bats swoop down to attack."
    3. PC: "Fireball!"
    4. DM: "Um. You know guano's very flammable, right?"
    5. PC: "FIREBALL!"
    6. TPK
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    The amount of truth contained in this single post is like the sun compared to all the other puny little candles of insight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    It's not a game until I can lose it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    If you'd actually put your shield away to climb the ladder instead of still wielding it, you'd have had a 4 after taking 10. Which is when the rogue climbs back down and pushes your fat armored behind up the ladder (Aid Another for +2).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    So… how did you get 20 feet up in the first place if you didn't pass any checks to start with? (Also, as noted, encumbrance doesn't stack with ACPs.)

This sounds more and more like "DM didn't know the rules well enough, and fiated a couple of deaths for no very good reason". (A ladder shouldn't have a DC more than 5, and getting a 4 on the check means you simply make no progress. Since both you and the barbarian would have gotten a 4, you wouldn't have left the ground.)
    I know that now. But back then the group had only got the books a few days before we started playing, and we're trying to get our heads around the rules.
    When the DM said he understood that part as only relating to movement speed, not the ACP, we all thought (after reading for ourselves) that it sounded reasonable as it only mentioned movement speed.

As for how I made it up that far, the DM only asked for 1 climb check, everything else was as tuggyne said, DM fiat.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

So he made you roll for climbing a ladder?!? Something designed to be easy to climb? Out of curiosity, did he make you roll to open the tavern door as well?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGirl

As seen in "PC Stupidity Stories, Part III":

Spoiler
    Show
    We found ourselves spontaneously facing a young red dragon for no real reason (our DM wanted us to level up soon and isn't huge on plot). The encounter actually should have been fairly easy for our group, but we were all terribly new to D&D -- plus we faced a huge setback momentarily.

See, as the dragon announced itself, our good old kleptomaniac Psion greeted it heartily and attempted to befriend it. Since she was a shardmind, the DM ruled that the dragon decided to add this hunk of crystals to its hoard, so it grabbed her and tossed her in its cave. She leapt up as it flew away and was about to follow when she noticed the cave full of gold.

The party Rogue (IRL friends with the Psion and just as greedy) immediately resolved to get in that cave as quickly as possible. To her credit, her plan was clever enough: the DM had given her a Poke Ball, so she asked my Warlord to absorb her in the Poke Ball and then lob it across the battlefield. By the grace of the DM, it landed in the cave, and the Psion released her friend. They spent the next half-dozen rounds stuffing thousands upon thousands of gold into their various bags of holding while the rest of the party died.

Eventually, even the bags of holding ran out of space (the DM was a Monty Haul kind of person). Not to be defeated by something as simple as weight, the Psion simply stuffed the remaining gold into her cloak and boots. After six rounds of slaughter by a dragon that had both our Paladin and my Warlord in single-digit HP, the Psion finally headed back towards the battlefield with a speed of about 1. Thankfully, the dragon was still within range of her attacks.

My Warlord, because he still hadn't gotten a magic weapon, requested that the Rogue toss him any magic weapon she'd found in the hoard. The DM decided to be silly and request a Dex attack vs my Reflex to see if I could catch it. Being a tactical Warlord with abysmal Dex, I failed entirely to catch it and was knocked out by a sword to the head, joining the Paladin on the ground.

Here's the entertaining bit: since our Paladin's player was out, I was playing both him and the Warlord. (This is possibly why both were in negative HP right now.) I had a history of abysmally low dice rolls; the Paladin's player had a history of never rolling lower than 16. On our death saving throws, the trend continued: I rolled a natural 20 on the Paladin, who leapt back into the fray and got dropped again, only to get another natural 20 and repeat that action. My Warlord, meanwhile, bled out over three rounds and ultimately died from a fumble. We all had a good laugh over that one.

In our current campaign, the party ranger has been courting death in the last few encounters. An elven archer, she has this unfortunate habit of getting caught up in melee. Thus far, she's been savaged by an angered rage drake that scored a critical hit; and, while climbing, she's been enveloped by a swarm of rot scarabs. On the latter occasion, she eventually opted to just drop out of the fight (literally) and took falling damage, bringing her to 1 hit point. As of right now (this encounter was interrupted by the end of our latest session), she's busy fleeing the dungeon.
    Last edited by Angel Bob; 2013-03-25 at 08:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfFighterGuy

This one's mostly funny because of the player's attitude, but I hope it counts:

So, early on in my last campaign, I had a new player join and replace an old one who had to move. Since the party was in the middle of a dungeon when the change took place, the new player took over the old one's fighter.

Now this was a 4e campaign, and the player was really more a fan of 3.5. There's nothing wrong with that, and he seemed to be having fun, but he had this obnoxious habit of latching on to the differences between systems and essentially going "Heh...heh...it's funny and stupid because it's not 3.5...heh...heh. Right guys? Guys?" And then he'd try and demonstrate how inferior and childish 4e was because (among other things) fighters were actually useful.

Anyways, there eventually came a point where he latched on to the fact that Rain of Blows (The fighter power that lets you deal autodamage to adjacent targets) lasts "until the end of the encounter." So, right after the party had finished a fight, he decided that if he kept looking for things to kill, then logically the encounter hadn't ended yet. The rest of the party, being rather beat up, decided to sit down for a short rest. Nonetheless, he decided to press on, secure in the thought of his neverending autodamage daily power.

That is, until he actually found my next encounter--no fudging, it was exactly what it would have been if the party was all there. Rather than get into their midst with his autodamage ability, which might actually have been kind of effective, he decided he was just going to run screaming at the one that was off on its own. Now, these were enemies that the party had faced before and knew the abilities of, so it shouldn't have surprised him when they 1) immobilized him before he could close to melee, 2) used forced movement to bounce him around between them, and 3) killed him without his doing any damage at all. I always picture it as resembling a game of keepaway, with the fighter as the ball, and by the time he dropped, everyone at the table was kind of snickering at the look on his face.

He toned down the edition supremacy after that.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'LL EAT YOUR HEART!

Last words of Flint, Barbarian and hater of wolves, upon seeing a dire wolf while he, the Paladin, and the currently spell-less wizard went for a walk in the woods. After a fight with an Owlbear, that he'd barely survived.

It killed him instantly as he charged, tearing off his leg and chewing it, keeping an eye on the Paladin and the Wizard while they slowly backed away.

I'm the Largest Source of Good in the Room!

The final words of our Githzerai monk's player, mere seconds before it was pounded into jelly by the undead giant. That level adjustment really bit him in the ass when it rolled a nat20 and one-shot him with minimum damage. To his credit it, he did it to save a fellow party member.

Both of these were the same player, poor fool.
    Last edited by Reynard; 2013-03-25 at 10:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

From two weeks back, the party uncovered a succubi den that was masquerading as a brothel (and turning a fine profit, it seemed). Upon discovering this, the rogue immediately said that he would deal with it himself, asking only that the cleric cast a Death Ward first.

So he went in with a full bag of gold. And "progressed" through every single "worker" there. He seemed very smug about how they couldn't level drain him. It was hilarious when the succubi decided not to bother with the level drain and rather than let him go, just tore him limb from limb instead. There was only one of him, and about a dozen of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

not necessarily a death per se:
    I was playing my necromancy, had a +13 to my will saves, and had been rolling well all session.
    DM put us up against a party of wizards, they tried mindraping us all, I was rolling great, only one who hadn't been affected by their spells, when the DM has one of them cast baleful polymorph on me. To resist the change: Nat 1, to keep my intelligence: nat 1. The only one who was doing well, and I got turned into a squirrel.

26. - Top - End - #26

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by beau highbill View Post
    not necessarily a death per se:
    I was playing my necromancy, had a +13 to my will saves, and had been rolling well all session.
    DM put us up against a party of wizards, they tried mindraping us all, I was rolling great, only one who hadn't been affected by their spells, when the DM has one of them cast baleful polymorph on me. To resist the change: Nat 1, to keep my intelligence: nat 1. The only one who was doing well, and I got turned into a squirrel.
    Man, that reminds me of two stories:

The first is the time that some friends and I decided to play an arena-ish game, where we all made characters and took turns being DM for bouts between them. I had a wizard with loads and loads of save-or-die and save-or-suck spells, but not a lot that targeted Reflex. I did okay in the first two bouts, until I ran up against another player's Druid, which naturally had awesome Fort and Will saves. He took me apart pretty quickly.

Anyways, after we'd decided the champion of our tournament, we took a break for a couple of weeks IRL, and then gave our characters a levelup and went at it again. This time, I ran up against the druid first thing. Knowing that I still didn't have much that could touch him, he made a big deal about pandering to the crowd and boasting of how he was going to beat me even faster this time.

I won initiative, and since I didn't have many other options, I tossed a Phantasmal Killer at him. As it turned out, after the levelup he had such a high Will save that he could almost save automatically.

Naturally, he rolled a natural 1. The guy DM'ing at the time described how he turned white, screamed like a little girl, and expired suddenly, and how the crowd went utterly silent as my character walked off and collapsed in relief.

The second story comes from a little while later, when I was running a 3.5 campaign. The party was up against an annoyingly hard to hit caster, and they'd just managed to briefly corner it. The party Artificer (now that I think of it, he was played by the guy with the druid in the previous story) decided to burn a scroll he'd been saving, in case the enemy caster managed to get away again. This scroll happened to be a Baleful Polymorph (I think, it's been a while and I don't have my 3.5 stuff to compare the spell's effect to.)

The party was very excited when the caster failed his save and the Artificer declared that he was turned into a "harmless fluffy bunny." However, I'd flubbed up a ruling earlier in the evening, and the Artificer insisted that I get out the book and go over the spell's effect with him. Sadly, this led to my discovering that the rabbit got a save to keep its intelligence...and the rabbit made its save. Somehow (and this is why I'm not sure that the spell was Baleful Polymorph) it also got a save to keep its spellcasting abilities...and it made that one too.

When the rabbitcaster's turn came up, it used its remaining Dimension Door and vanished again. As the party discovered shortly, it's very hard to find a single rabbit in a vast, dimly lit cavern, even when it occasionally throws lightning bolts at you. I don't think it managed to kill any of them, but when they managed to pin it down and kill it, there was a serious discussion about skinning it and turning it into a pair of trophy slippers.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kieza View Post
    Man, that reminds me of two stories:

The first is the time that some friends and I decided to play an arena-ish game, where we all made characters and took turns being DM for bouts between them. I had a wizard with loads and loads of save-or-die and save-or-suck spells, but not a lot that targeted Reflex. I did okay in the first two bouts, until I ran up against another player's Druid, which naturally had awesome Fort and Will saves. He took me apart pretty quickly.

Anyways, after we'd decided the champion of our tournament, we took a break for a couple of weeks IRL, and then gave our characters a levelup and went at it again. This time, I ran up against the druid first thing. Knowing that I still didn't have much that could touch him, he made a big deal about pandering to the crowd and boasting of how he was going to beat me even faster this time.

I won initiative, and since I didn't have many other options, I tossed a Phantasmal Killer at him. As it turned out, after the levelup he had such a high Will save that he could almost save automatically.

Naturally, he rolled a natural 1. The guy DM'ing at the time described how he turned white, screamed like a little girl, and expired suddenly, and how the crowd went utterly silent as my character walked off and collapsed in relief.

The second story comes from a little while later, when I was running a 3.5 campaign. The party was up against an annoyingly hard to hit caster, and they'd just managed to briefly corner it. The party Artificer (now that I think of it, he was played by the guy with the druid in the previous story) decided to burn a scroll he'd been saving, in case the enemy caster managed to get away again. This scroll happened to be a Baleful Polymorph (I think, it's been a while and I don't have my 3.5 stuff to compare the spell's effect to.)

The party was very excited when the caster failed his save and the Artificer declared that he was turned into a "harmless fluffy bunny." However, I'd flubbed up a ruling earlier in the evening, and the Artificer insisted that I get out the book and go over the spell's effect with him. Sadly, this led to my discovering that the rabbit got a save to keep its intelligence...and the rabbit made its save. Somehow (and this is why I'm not sure that the spell was Baleful Polymorph) it also got a save to keep its spellcasting abilities...and it made that one too.

When the rabbitcaster's turn came up, it used its remaining Dimension Door and vanished again. As the party discovered shortly, it's very hard to find a single rabbit in a vast, dimly lit cavern, even when it occasionally throws lightning bolts at you. I don't think it managed to kill any of them, but when they managed to pin it down and kill it, there was a serious discussion about skinning it and turning it into a pair of trophy slippers.
    The second one has me imagining the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.
    "I'm very late" indeed. Though how did he manage somatic components without fingers? Or [Vocal one] without the ability to speak? [Other than DM fiat and Rule o' Cool/Rule Forgotton/I'm mistaken.]

I don't actually have a [funny, I have had one PC death] PC death though. The closest thing was me being thrown around by a Ogre Mage, as one of the three front line fighters with everyone seemingly unable to hurt it. Except the psion that is. [Converted slightly from heroes, but it was still a ogre mage, the Psion was just a one trick pony, whos trick was a mental blackjack.]
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    The second one has me imagining the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.
    "I'm very late" indeed. Though how did he manage somatic components without fingers? Or [Vocal one] without the ability to speak? [Other than DM fiat and Rule o' Cool/Rule Forgotton/I'm mistaken.]
    That's what I'm wondering as well...

29. - Top - End - #29

SolithKnightGuy

Two Words: Natural Spell

and a few more to avoid that thing where you can't post cuz it's too short.

30. - Top - End - #30

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shyftir View Post
    Two Words: Natural Spell
    Rather difficult to qualify for that if you're not a druid, and Dimension Door's not on the druid's spell list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.