New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Zelda Homebrew

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Zelda Homebrew

So I know this isn't original. And I know there's probably a better version of these somewhere out there. Also, the format I put these in won't be the best. So I apologize for all of the above, but I've been working on some of the races as seen in Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask, to make them playable in a 3.5 game for a campaign I'm thinking about running. So here are the first three that I've come up with, please critique them, they are rough drafts, so I won't be offended.

Hylian

Spoiler
    Show
    See humans in the PH.

Kokiri

Spoiler
    Show
    Ageless
    Immune to Mind-affecting or enchantment spells, sleep, and paralysis
    -2 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
    Favored Class is Druid
    +2 Survival (+4 if using to gather food), +2 Knowledge (nature)
    Can use Speak With Animals once per day as a spell like ability
    Can use Speak With Plants once per day as a spell like ability
    Low-light vision 120'
    Taboo-if a Kokiri eats meat, they lose their spell like abilities for 24 hours, and during that duration are sickened (may only take standard actions)
    Small size, base land speed 20'

As I finish the other races I will post them here :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Zelda Homebrew

Might want to specify that the Kokiri are always childlike; I don't know why they're forbidden to eat meat though; that doesn't SEEM to have basis in Zelda canon IIRC, but in any case I'd ditch that, the spell-like abilities, the low-light vision and the spell immunities, and put focus on how all Kokiri has fairy guardians, like maybe they're all entitled to some sort of fey familiar that would supercede any familiar/animal companion granted by a class.

As for Hylians, I don't mind them being close to humans like that, but I'd point out that they seem to have an inherent magical ability; their ears reportedly let them 'hear the gods' afterall. Perhaps their bonus feat and skill points can be traded in for spell-likes or inherent telepathy?

3. - Top - End - #3

I'll just leave this here...
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by questionmark693 View Post
    Kokiri

Ageless
    Immune to Mind-affecting or enchantment spells, sleep, and paralysis
    -2 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
    Favored Class is Druid
    +2 Survival (+4 if using to gather food), +2 Knowledge (nature)
    Can use Speak With Animals once per day as a spell like ability
    Can use Speak With Plants once per day as a spell like ability
    Low-light vision 120'
    Taboo-if a Kokiri eats meat, they lose their spell like abilities for 24 hours, and during that duration are sickened (may only take standard actions)
    Small size, base land speed 20'
    I wouldn't bother with the meat thing. Heck, I don't think we see Kokiri eat anything in the games. The Kokiri's signature weapons (found in the two Forest dungeons of OoT) are slingshots and bows, both used for hunting. A better restriction might be that they can only regain their per-day spell-like abilities if they rest in a forest (when I statted up Kokiri I had them get a heal effect for resting in a forest).

Your usage of low-light vision is incorrect (but I agree that Kokiri should have low-light vision). Darkvision has a range, low-light vision does not. Low-light vision simply doubles the range of any light source you see and also gives you better vision under moonlight. There's also improved low-light vision, which is the same except quadruple the range and you can see fine under starlight. Read up on it: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...lowLightVision

Other than that, I think it's fairly balanced against the human. You might want to take a look at the Pathfinder human, which is more flexible and will give you more room for abilities with the other races.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2013-03-29 at 12:58 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw