New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: (3.X) (Creature) (Spell) Organ Undead, Nightmares of Anatomy (P.E.A.C.H.)

The theme is great and corpse ripper allows a necromancer to have armies that do mor ethan just stumble around stuttering BRAINS. The organs seem a great way to use tactics and special effects to be able to defeat higher CR monsters.

I like the idea of spinning horizon inner ear and the disorientation would be great to pit against a cleric. I'm not quite so sure about the muscle mass, one reason being one could grapple the wizard and neutralise him for the encounter or grab the fighter and jump off a cliff, but the idea seems solid.

Just one question what size organs do I get when I cast corpse ripper. I may have just missed this but it doesnt seem well explained. Are they of the same size as the corpse or one or two sizes smaller?

Either way they will be great enemies against my group. The cleric won't know what hit him
    Last edited by Pesimismrocks; 2013-04-01 at 04:33 AM.
    And treasure!
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (3.X) (Creature) (Spell) Organ Undead, Nightmares of Anatomy (P.E.A.C.H.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pesimismrocks View Post
    The theme is great and corpse ripper allows a necromancer to have armies that do mor ethan just stumble around stuttering BRAINS. The organs seem a great way to use tactics and special effects to be able to defeat higher CR monsters.
    Actually, Corpse Ripper isn't where the versatility comes from. The versatility comes from the individual undead. Corpse Ripper is just a quick and dirty way of creating them. Much more efficient to actually cut up some corpses with a scalpel and cast the right combination of spells as shown in the individual entries.

I like the idea of spinning horizon inner ear and the disorientation would be great to pit against a cleric.
    Why a cleric particularly?
    I'm not quite so sure about the muscle mass, one reason being one could grapple the wizard and neutralize him for the encounter or grab the fighter and jump off a cliff, but the idea seems solid.
    Oh dear...
    I think I mentioned that the Muscle Masses were a bit unfinished?
    Let me lay a few things out quick and dirty:
    They can't grapple. They are spheres and have nothing to grip with.
    They can bull-rush or overrun (determined by the relative size of them and their opponent), both combined with a touch attack that deals strength damage. Or just make a touch attack for strength damage.
    Just one question what size organs do I get when I cast corpse ripper. I may have just missed this but it doesnt seem well explained. Are they of the same size as the corpse or one or two sizes smaller?
    See the "Creating a _______" (or in some cases "Making a _______"?) section of the individual undead. It varies from organ to organ.

For instance, the Gut Snakes are the same size as the source creature for an omnivore or herbivore (what they lack in volume and mass they more than make up for in length). OTOH the Rolling Eyeballs are almost always Fine size, and the size relationship between the cadaver and the resulting slithering spinal cord depends on if the creature has a large tail.

I may be adding a reference table to Corpse Ripper summarizing that information.
    Either way they will be great enemies against my group. The cleric won't know what hit him
    I very much look forward to hearing your feedback from the session(s) in question. Playtest data is a rare and precious resource to me.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-12-23 at 01:20 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: (3.X) (Creature) (Spell) Organ Undead, Nightmares of Anatomy (P.E.A.C.H.)

Hi there, just subscribed and thought that you might like the idea of using a lesser version of animate undead to create the smaller versions of the creatures. So this way they can make them a few levels eariler as long as them pass the needed skill checks

Animate Dead, Lesser
    School: necromancy [evil];
    Level: cleric 1, sorcerer/wizard 2
    Target: one corpse
    Duration: instantaneous

This spell functions as animate dead, except you can only create a single Small or Medium skeleton or zombie. You cannot create variant skeletons or zombies with this spell.
    III'''MMMMMM BbbbaaaCCCKKKK
    From the worst 6 (or fewer lost count) months of (9)hells

Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar created by GrlumpTheElder

Take a Peek

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar23 View Post
    Hi there, just subscribed and thought that you might like the idea of using a lesser version of animate undead to create the smaller versions of the creatures. So this way they can make them a few levels eariler as long as them pass the needed skill checks

Animate Dead, Lesser
    School: necromancy [evil];
    Level: cleric 1, sorcerer/wizard 2
    Target: one corpse
    Duration: instantaneous

This spell functions as animate dead, except you can only create a single Small or Medium skeleton or zombie. You cannot create variant skeletons or zombies with this spell.
    Well, if you really think it would fly with the GM?

I would at least make it Cleric 2, Sorc/Wiz 3.

EDIT: But what do you think of the undead themselves?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-04-02 at 10:13 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #35

Simply put... Perfect; you found a way to create several unqiuqe kinds of undead, a new subtype which overall they seem balanced. I think if we found a Gm that doesn't mind minions that he would love it. Once I have time i will go over each one and post my opinion.

Spoiler
    Show

Take a Peek

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Simply put... Perfect; you found a way to create several unqiuqe kinds of undead, a new subtype which overall they seem balanced. I think if we found a Gm that doesn't mind minions that he would love it. Once I have time i will go over each one and post my opinion.
    Thank you. Many people express affection for this series, but those who leave feedback beyond that (especially on later entries than the one they expressed approval of) are much fewer.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-11-23 at 05:45 PM.
    Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #37

Alrighty then I will now give a overview of each one, note though I will not spend alot of time on those I think that already been peached to perfection, in the case you stillwant me to give a more in depth review just say so and I will.

Dark Heart:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Already pretty balanced, only thing I would worry about is someone going spam happy with the smaller one, only question then just to check balance is if the these blast can stack instead of just having a bunch of brusts. For example If i get three Tiny dark herts in the same square and have them all release their Negative Energy Pulse can we have it that they are then treated as a larger heart for both Damage and DC. Or have it that you can stitch the hearts together to make a larger heart that acts as the larger size. Imagine a group of adventures walk into a room where a minor necromancer has been slowly gathering the townsfolks hearts and have been sticthing them together to create a huge one that would wipe out the town with its negitive energy and create a new home for the undead.

Just an idea for an adventure I'm designing

Empty Skin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fine except I wish it was avalabile for the lower levels for crafting. The only time it would make sense that players would see these at higher levels and by then they are experianced enough to easily kill them. If you could asy have a way through either ritual or different crafting, say needing to have craft wondourus item and the animate spell, this would lead to a whole new set of "common undead that isn't undead" they have to be watchful for. Being more like constructs these can be similar to the problem of the Bone golem that the cleric keeps trying to turn.

Beyond that it is a fun template to use and for rp value can lead to some awsome twists. I think it just needs to be eaiser to make, but require more skill checks.

Fat Glob:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A rather nasty bugger i will tell you; I had play tested one of thesein another game in RL and I will tell you these can wreck so many things. Since they are Easily controlled I had a few groups of 4 medium Fat globs teamed up with units of skellies with decent armor sword and shield. The battle happened on a ship and were acting under the orders of a Pirate Warlock (think Captain Blackbread from the Last Pirates of the Carribean) Attack a ship and ordered to throw the people over borad. Once in the water all the Globs were doing is making sure all were fatigued. Two would stay under the water while the other two stuck close to the surface to engulf them. The few that did not drown were captured. Part of the crew made it onto land and it was so much fun telling how blobs of pail yellow ooze was slowly coming out of the water. Once on land on of the fellows actually got a torch lit and started swinging cause one of the damaged ones to die. The look on there faces they got when they found out fire could hurt them was hilarousy Since they had some much hp they thought the things had a DR.

Moving a long I think a DR would actully be fitting but only agianst Bludging and Piercing damage. From the way I look at it they are slow bouncy pieces of fat that you have to either put afire or cut out chucks of. Arrows would only get stuck in it or pass through. Clubs would bounce off it as would some cannonballs for the larger ones (Just thought what a huge one would look like floating it the sea with cannonballs bouncing off it; oh the horror).

Floating Lungs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    have yet to use these but I love the idea. I think though you might want to raise the CR because of how hard they can be to damage and the ability to act as little sound bombs can be very dangourus. Next thing can you define if it is a burst effect or target based. I read over it and couldn't find which. Is it like the spell used to make it or...? In either case furhter along there is the Freqeuncy which I think should be more like (1d4) rounds for the smaller ones and increase as they get bigger. Though admittedly they do have vey little hp even when Huge so your call on that.

Well post more latter; Is this the sort of peaching you wanted or ..?

Spoiler
    Show

Take a Peek

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't sleep at all last night... I THINK the following is coherent, but no promises.

Alrighty then I will now give a overview of each one, note though I will not spend alot of time on those I think that already been peached to perfection, in the case you stillwant me to give a more in depth review just say so and I will.
    Well, I might change one or two things on average based on PEACHing, and not usually very complicated things.

I guess that is all it takes? Or I just got things right?
    Dark Heart:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Already pretty balanced, only thing I would worry about is someone going spam happy with the smaller one, only question then just to check balance is if the these blast can stack instead of just having a bunch of brusts. For example If i get three Tiny dark herts in the same square and have them all release their Negative Energy Pulse can we have it that they are then treated as a larger heart for both Damage and DC. Or have it that you can stitch the hearts together to make a larger heart that acts as the larger size. Imagine a group of adventures walk into a room where a minor necromancer has been slowly gathering the townsfolks hearts and have been sticthing them together to create a huge one that would wipe out the town with its negitive energy and create a new home for the undead.

Just an idea for an adventure I'm designing
    Well, it is pretty short range and vulnerable to AoEs if you stack them rather than making a bigger one in the first place.

As for your adventure idea, that sounds creative.
    Empty Skin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fine except I wish it was avalabile for the lower levels for crafting. The only time it would make sense that players would see these at higher levels and by then they are experianced enough to easily kill them. If you could asy have a way through either ritual or different crafting, say needing to have craft wondourus item and the animate spell, this would lead to a whole new set of "common undead that isn't undead" they have to be watchful for. Being more like constructs these can be similar to the problem of the Bone golem that the cleric keeps trying to turn.

Beyond that it is a fun template to use and for rp value can lead to some awsome twists. I think it just needs to be eaiser to make, but require more skill checks.
    So... I need to give the taxidermy process a GP value and have it work like normal craft checks, but with a lower DC? Probably not what you meant.

Or are you just saying I need to drop the CL 15 requirement for Animate Dead. If so, thank you for reminding me. I meant to change that, since they were one of the first ones I ever made, and back then I was worried about power creep from giving intelligent minions, however useless in combat, and even if only Int 5, at a much earlier character level.

I will at least be scaling it back to CL 10 or something, if not removing the limitation entirely.
    Fat Glob:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A rather nasty bugger i will tell you; I had play tested one of thesein another game in RL and I will tell you these can wreck so many things. Since they are Easily controlled I had a few groups of 4 medium Fat globs teamed up with units of skellies with decent armor sword and shield. The battle happened on a ship and were acting under the orders of a Pirate Warlock (think Captain Blackbread from the Last Pirates of the Carribean) Attack a ship and ordered to throw the people over borad. Once in the water all the Globs were doing is making sure all were fatigued. Two would stay under the water while the other two stuck close to the surface to engulf them. The few that did not drown were captured. Part of the crew made it onto land and it was so much fun telling how blobs of pail yellow ooze was slowly coming out of the water. Once on land on of the fellows actually got a torch lit and started swinging cause one of the damaged ones to die. The look on there faces they got when they found out fire could hurt them was hilarousy Since they had some much hp they thought the things had a DR.

Moving a long I think a DR would actully be fitting but only agianst Bludging and Piercing damage. From the way I look at it they are slow bouncy pieces of fat that you have to either put afire or cut out chucks of. Arrows would only get stuck in it or pass through. Clubs would bounce off it as would some cannonballs for the larger ones (Just thought what a huge one would look like floating it the sea with cannonballs bouncing off it; oh the horror).
    You will note that the chart for HD goes up to 2,900 TONS. This is intentional and in the range of the displacement of a fair-sized ship. Whaling is a good source of fat, and I need to remember to include rules for adding fat to a pre-existing fat-glob. Ghost ships are cool and all, but I think the idea of a vessel that is very much solid, yet can't be sunk by just poking a few holes in it to let water in has its own merits. And the fact that one hero per round has to save against DC 91 just to be fatigued rather than exhausted if they get too close... and yet a sustained bombardment of flaming oil from ship-mounted catapults can destroy it. Definite lich-admiral command-ship potential.

Even with all that, it never occurred to me that they would be good at drowning people. Do the Koa-Toa have many necromancers among them?
    Floating Lungs:
    [SPOILER]have yet to use these but I love the idea. I think though you might want to raise the CR because of how hard they can be to damage and the ability to act as little sound bombs can be very dangourus. Next thing can you define if it is a burst effect or target based. I read over it and couldn't find which. Is it like the spell used to make it or...?
    It is a cone, same as Shout, regardless of what spell you use to make it.
    In either case furhter along there is the Freqeuncy which I think should be more like (1d4) rounds for the smaller ones and increase as they get bigger. Though admittedly they do have vey little hp even when Huge so your call on that.
    The little ones can go every round without a problem I think. Why are you thinking 1d4 rounds for their only attack for say... the tiny ones?

Ugh... If the cone thing wasn't clear, then I also need to define what the two different damages mean. I think the higher one is for crystalline/ceramic objects or something...

And, yeah, they are a bit scary for the fighter types. They eat arrows for breakfast in the larger sizes, and there aren't many slashing ranged weapons. You can eat the damage once, and try to kill it before it can breath in for another blast probably... or you want flaming arrows (even mundane ones), or some good old evocation.... or whatever it is that Batman wizards do about undead. Hide from Undead (plus flight) and a surprise round could also let you slice it up before it gets an attack off on you. Of course, Protection from Energy cast for sonic on a slashy guy(plus flight) when you sight the thing can also turn it into a joke.

Well post more latter; Is this the sort of peaching you wanted or ..?
    This is excellent.

Think of ways (other than grappling) to break the Muscle Masses please... I'm sure there are some.

Other than that, the newest one is the Spinning-Horizon Inner Ear.

Do you have any particular ideas about what formations these guys would be commanded into relative to a BBEG or evil adventuring party? I admit I don't actually know that much about such things...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-04-02 at 02:48 PM.
    Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I didn't sleep at all last night... I THINK the following is coherent, but no promises.

Well, I might change one or two things on average based on PEACHing, and not usually very complicated things.

I guess that is all it takes? Or I just got things right?
    If I leave it alone without saying something I just havn't got to it yet (surprised not more people have and interest to peach this, it is realy good) What you say inhere does make sense and I might not have been clear as I wanted to be. Most of this t my mind is right, I just like giving things a little more of a twist (rp and mechanical wise) so their will always be a surprise. Thats why I like making things a little easier to make since I want people to rp more than role dice.

Dark Heart
    Well, it is pretty short range and vulnerable to AoEs if you stack them rather than making a bigger one in the first place.

As for your adventure idea, that sounds creative.
    Thank you, might actuallyincorate that into my campaign for latter, Also wondering if I did post my adventure for PbP if you wouldn't mind helping me get the mechanics striaght and be apart of it? If so I will go over it a little more and give you an Idea of where it is going.

On to the heart, good point of the AoE, but what I'm met to say is have it so you can put hearts together to make a bigger one. Also just thought it would make more sense that the negitve energy they released to gether would combine and mimic a strongers heart effect. I mean how often will a necromancer get acess to a Giants heart just to make a lager one. Humans are lazy by nature so they will go for what is easiest and try to use what they have instead of how to get a bigger one.

Empty Skin
    So... I need to give the taxidermy process a GP value and have it work like normal craft checks, but with a lower DC? Probably not what you meant.

Or are you just saying I need to drop the CL 15 requirement for Animate Dead. If so, thank you for reminding me. I meant to change that, since they were one of the first ones I ever made, and back then I was worried about power creep from giving intelligent minions, however useless in combat, and even if only Int 5, at a much earlier character level.

I will at least be scaling it back to CL 10 or something, if not removing the limitation entirely.
    Frist question, yes give a craft check lower dc, but have it that they have to make more than one check. This way frist they have to deskin it (1st check), perpare it (2nd check), and finally enchant it (thrid check if you think it needs one more). This way there is still risk in making it but still avalible to the lower levels. I mean why would a 15th level character make one of these besides for some show. Lower levels these would actual be used as tools and weapons since this would be one of thier most powerful creations (at that level; think around 5).

Fat Glob
    You will note that the chart for HD goes up to 2,900 TONS. This is intentional and in the range of the displacement of a fair-sized ship. Whaling is a good source of fat, and I need to remember to include rules for adding fat to a pre-existing fat-glob. Ghost ships are cool and all, but I think the idea of a vessel that is very much solid, yet can't be sunk by just poking a few holes in it to let water in has its own merits. And the fact that one hero per round has to save against DC 91 just to be fatigued rather than exhausted if they get too close... and yet a sustained bombardment of flaming oil from ship-mounted catapults can destroy it. Definite lich-admiral command-ship potential.

Even with all that, it never occurred to me that they would be good at drowning people. Do the Koa-Toa have many necromancers among them?
    Yes Koa-toa can and have. As to they drowning it works wonders in moats (especailly engulf) since its hard to lite something one fire if it is under water. Thanks and I like the idea for a Lich Admiral, riding aboard his ship of Fat, being patrolled with his skeletal minions. I wonder how transparent the fat would be? What would suck though is that the Lich could not use regular cannons, the sparks would set his boot on fire.

Floating Lungs
    It is a cone, same as Shout, regardless of what spell you use to make it.

The little ones can go every round without a problem I think. Why are you thinking 1d4 rounds for their only attack for say... the tiny ones?

Ugh... If the cone thing wasn't clear, then I also need to define what the two different damages mean. I think the higher one is for crystalline/ceramic objects or something...

And, yeah, they are a bit scary for the fighter types. They eat arrows for breakfast in the larger sizes, and there aren't many slashing ranged weapons. You can eat the damage once, and try to kill it before it can breath in for another blast probably... or you want flaming arrows (even mundane ones), or some good old evocation.... or whatever it is that Batman wizards do about undead. Hide from Undead (plus flight) and a surprise round could also let you slice it up before it gets an attack off on you. Of course, Protection from Energy cast for sonic on a slashy guy(plus flight) when you sight the thing can also turn it into a joke.
    This one just needs its abilies defined a bit more becides that it is balanced for as you said it can be dangourus to the unperpared. But so can anything else so we are good here. This would be a fun one to have hiding around a catherdral's rafters and swooping down. Just think a cabal is having its celebrations when the heros come a knocking but they keep singing thier prayers. So just when the players attack they are blasted a way from the floating lungs. Reason being they were ordered to "silance any who don't speak in the touge of the infernal while in the unhallowed halls".

This is excellent.

Think of ways (other than grappling) to break the Muscle Masses please... I'm sure there are some.

Other than that, the newest one is the Spinning-Horizon Inner Ear.
    Thanks, glad I am able to help. I will read over both of those next and see what I can think of.

Do you have any particular ideas about what formations these guys would be commanded into relative to a BBEG or evil adventuring party? I admit I don't actually know that much about such things...
    Do you mean those I have commented on or the Muscle Masses andSpinning-Horizon Inner Ear? Or both.

Spoiler
    Show

Take a Peek

10. - Top - End - #40

Muscle Mass
    Spoiler
    Show
    Frist thing redo description, had to go to creation to understand what it was gong to look like, much less what it was. Second define if they fly or actaully roll on the ground; could be seen as both from how you describe it in combat. Thrid can you expain what you mean by

"Do note that due to their tendency to roll directly in whatever direction they are going and make sharp turns, that designing and constructing saddlebags for a muscle mass that don't result in the cargo getting squashed is a non-trivial task. Draft harnesses are also difficult since the major area(s) of contact must sustain rubbing contact as the muscle mass rolls along. Simply greasing the area tends to coat the ball in grease, either rubbing it off entirely, or leading to a loss of traction. Crude roller-bearings are often employed."

Other than that a good concept. I realy like the idea of using them as throwing weapons. Expesional in put in the hands of ghouls who are intellignet enough to use them. Also would be a good idea to hide the smaller ones in crevices with a trap that turns off the lights, then these thing will just pop the people who are now flat footed. Another thing would be use the larger ones like the Indian jones boulder, but this one can fallow you and won't get tierd of running.

Give an Reflfex save to aviod the touch, or allow and escape artist check; all that I can think of for now

Suggestions for new body parts of undead
    -Nose (beware the snoot of doom; negitivly enhanced and nauseating; maybe add a contact disease that causes a player to consatnly sneeze till there nose falls off and turns into a Snoot Canoon. Think of it as a range Debuffer that spawns if given enough time.)
    Last edited by Scholar23; 2013-04-02 at 06:32 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Take a Peek

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Muscle Mass
    Frist thing redo description, had to go to creation to understand what it was gong to look like, much less what it was.
    Second define if they fly or actaully roll on the ground; could be seen as both from how you describe it in combat.
    They roll, but they also have really good jump checks.
    Thrid can you expain what you mean by

"Do note that due to their tendency to roll directly in whatever direction they are going and make sharp turns, that designing and constructing saddlebags for a muscle mass that don't result in the cargo getting squashed is a non-trivial task. Draft harnesses are also difficult since the major area(s) of contact must sustain rubbing contact as the muscle mass rolls along. Simply greasing the area tends to coat the ball in grease, either rubbing it off entirely, or leading to a loss of traction. Crude roller-bearings are often employed."
    I... COULD explain the physical effects better, but I would need some pretty good pictures, or a LOT of words.

Comes down to, pack-saddles and draft-harnesses for them are complicated and expensive. Meaning that that massive strength score isn't quite so easy to use for relocating smallish pyramids to locations with better feng shui(sp?). You can DO it, but you better have someone on hand with ranks in Knowledge(Architecture and Engineering) and skilled craftsmen to keep the equipment working.

Other than that a good concept. I realy like the idea of using them as throwing weapons. Expesional in put in the hands of ghouls who are intellignet enough to use them. Also would be a good idea to hide the smaller ones in crevices with a trap that turns off the lights, then these thing will just pop the people who are now flat footed.
    All their attacks are touch attacks anyway. They aren't going to have too much of a hard time hitting, especially the larger ones. Still, every little bit helps, and they DO have poor BAB, like almost all undead.
    Another thing would be use the larger ones like the Indian jones boulder, but this one can follow you and won't get tierd of running.
    This is both horrific and hilarious. I fully approve. EDIT 2022: Reminds me of an early scene in "UHF" starring 'Wierd' Al Yankovic.
    Give an Reflfex save to aviod the touch, or allow and escape artist check; all that I can think of for now
    Touch attacks don't really need to be rewritten in my opinion. And you can always oppose grapple checks with escape artist... except if you are at Str 0 and litterally can't move. The sitting on people to crush the breath out of them is just how they actually can kill people in an unmixed group when there aren't any cliffs handy to bull-rush foes off of.
    Suggestions for new body parts of undead
    -Nose (beware the snoot of doom; negitivly enhanced and nauseating; maybe add a contact disease that causes a player to consatnly sneeze till there nose falls off and turns into a Snoot Canoon. Think of it as a range Debuffer that spawns if given enough time.)
    I would be the sinuses, since the "nose" is technically part of the skin. Not sure about snot-attacks. The Gut Snakes are horrifying if played right... that would just be silly, and I am trying to cut back on that aspects. The card game "Munchkin" had a floating nose in there somewhere, so the silly is strong with this idea. Then again the idea of Grease via mucus has a certain appeal to it. Not to mention scent tracking.

Tough call...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2022-11-05 at 04:29 PM.
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Updates:
    I have clarified the fat-globs in terms of the Engulf (I THINK that is RAI for how oozes with Engulf work, but I am not sure), and the muscle-mass(in terms of how the attacks work in the first place, including how they actually kill their victims).

Modified section for Fat-Globs, with modifications in red.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Engulf (Ex): Although it moves slowly, a fat glob can simply mow down creatures of equal or smaller size class as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The fat glob merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make opportunity attacks against the glob, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a Reflex save or be engulfed (see following chart for DCs for standard fat globs); on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the glob moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the glob’s fatigue and suffocation, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body (until and unless they fight free as per normal for a grapple). The save DC is Strength-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

Here is the added sections (other than listing "Sit" on the tables) for the Muscle Masses. I also deleted some stuff in the combat section that was left over from the dark-heart copy-pasta.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sit(Ex): This is what passes for a finishing blow from a muscle mass, and functions only against living opponents that breath, and are both prone and have a strength of 0 (NOT a non-ability). It simply rolls to where-ever its weight will do the most good at preventing the weakened muscles of a creature from inhaling (not sticking itself down the throat), a vague instinctive for things related to muscular action guiding it to the optimal position. This deals damage as follows through a combination of crushing under the soft weight of the mass and damage to muscular tissues, and also (provided the muscle mass is no more than one size class smaller than the victim) prevents breathing for that round. This requires a full round spent atop the victim, performing no other actions. Note that this causes strength damage (or drain for the Colossal ones) automatically each round as well, although generally this will not prove relevant.
    {table="head"]Size|Damage (DC)
    Fine | 1d2
    Diminutive| 1d3
    Tiny | 1d4
    Small | 1d6
    Medium | 1d8
    Large | 2d6
    Huge | 2d8
    Gargantuan| 4d6
    Colossal | 4d8
    [/table]
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-04-08 at 07:07 PM.
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #43

Those look much better, I will post more tomarrow after I finish some homework and the 32 levels to my 50th level character

Spoiler
    Show

Take a Peek

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, incidentally, I removed the caster-level minimum from the Empty Skins, and started the process of tweaking how much they count for for control pools. Note that they weren't really supposed to be useful in combat, just smart, obedient, and attractive... they are for creating atmosphere first, trickery second, and combat a distant third.

My play-test character (who I will link to at a later time) has exactly one of these... a puppy, which he keeps in a scroll case whenever there is the least danger to his precious childhood pet. Noting that I am swapping all of these to Deathless and Neutral Good for the purposes of said play-test, since I am most comfortable playing Good characters... although even Evil characters can love their pets.

I am also curious to know what people think of the text formatting of the names of the creatures above their individual spoilers. It adds atmosphere, and maybe even "scrolling through quickly" recognition in some cases, but readability takes a bit of a hit. I know from Vorpal Tribble's old contests that some creative formatting can be good, but even back then I would push the envelop on that sort of thing in some of his contests (the Gut Snake and the Fractal Bear).

EDIT: While going through and adding/expanding sections for the Summon Undead series of spells, I was struck by inspiration:

Slaughter Ripper
    Necromancy [Evil]
    Level: Clr 9, Death 9, Sor/Wiz 9, Dread Necromancer 8
    Range: 30 ft.
    Area: 30 ft. spread
    Targets: One corpse per 3 caster levels.

This spell functions as per Corpse Ripper, except as noted above or following.

Slaughter Ripper effects corpses of at least Tiny size, starting with those closest to the caster (considered as a spread) and working outward. If corpses still remain after this process is completed, then animates those, plus the closest additional corpses of Diminutive or Fine sizes.

The material components merely need to be held.

Corpse Ripper is repeated below for your convenience.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [I]Corpse Ripper
    Necromancy [Evil]
    Level: Clr 6, Death 6, Sor/Wiz 6, Dread Necromancer 6
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Range: Touch
    Targets: One corpse
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell causes a corpse to levitate up, hanging with its feet in contact with the ground in a limp standing position (or not, if the creature usually crawls like a snake). It then flays itself, the skin falling to the ground and rotting away within minutes, the brain oozing out of the nose to reform unharmed on the ground.The fat collects itself together in a pile lying near to the feet of the corpse (or beside the corpse for snakes etc), followed by the muscles sloughing off to rot with the skin and the spinal cord slithering out from behind the base of the pelvis. Several of the organs of the torso depart under independent locomotion. Finally the skeleton animates.

This spell generates all possible of the following undead from the corpse (most numbers are merely general rules, which should be obvious in most cases):
    A Dark Heart
    A single Fat Glob (provided the corpse has at least 60 pounds of fat)
    A pair of Floating Lungs, which is a single creature.
    A Gut Snake
    One Hopping Stomach for each stomach the corpse has (assume one when in doubt).
    A Muscle Mass
    One Rolling Eyeball for each eye the corpse has.
    A Sinister Spinal Cord
    A Skeleton
    Slithering Liver
    Two Spinning-Horizon Inner Ears (or more in the case of multi-headed creatures).
    A Zooming Brain (or more than one in the case of multi-headed creatures)

Note that this spell gives no options about the number and type of undead it creates and that it specifically does NOT create an Empty Skin or a Skulking Bladder.

The skeleton starts in the same space the corpse occupied, the others start within the skeleton's same space if small enough to occupy it without squeezing. The other organs must be placed at the caster's discretion adjacent to the skeleton (remember that some of them can fly). All undead created by this spell may act as soon as the spell is completed (note that this usually does NOT allow time for the caster to make a Rebuke/Command Undead check unless they can do so as an immediate action).

No skill checks or non-onyx material components (repair materials for the skull, etc) are required for this spell, nor are the additional spells that are otherwise required for the creation of certain of the undead this spell creates.

This spell uses the same rules for control and the same control pool as Animate Dead, suffers from a 20 HD cap on the maximum size of the undead that may be created (any undead that fall over this limit are not created, but this does not cause the overall spell to fail), unlike Animate Dead this spell may be cast at any time of day.
    Dread Necromancers ignore the 20 HD cap.
    Material Component
    Black onyx gems worth at least 50 gp per Hit Die of the undead that this spell will create (you may NOT choose to create less undead from a given corpse than this spell is capable of creating from said corpse) these components only need be manipulated as normal for spellcasting, rather than needing to be placed into the mouth or eye socket of the corpse. The magic of the spell turns these gems into worthless, burned-out shells.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-04-07 at 10:42 AM.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #45
    Halfling in the Playground

Wait! How can you create a spinal cord AND a skeleton from the same corpse? Wouldn't the skelely need a spine?

Quotes to live by
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by ZacharyW
    "It’s important to be different. If we weren’t then there wouldn’t be any difference between us and machines.” Stay Gold, Bronyboy
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacharyW
    "Who’s really the messed up one? The person with the disorder or different religion, different race, sexuality, or even ethnic belief? Or is it the one that stoops so low as to insult them for being unique?" Stay Gold, Bronyboy

Other quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Is anyone else getting a mental image of the most macabre ice-trays ever?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IKilledTheDevil View Post
    Wait! How can you create a spinal cord AND a skeleton from the same corpse? Wouldn't the skelely need a spine?
    Reasonable question.

Vertibrae are part of the skeleton. The actual spinal cord (a bundle of nerves) is not. You cut the spinal column open at one or more of the disks get the spinal cord out, and then throw the vertibrae on the heap before you animate the skeleton. You don't even patch anything back together like you do with the skull after removing the brain to make a Zooming Brain.

What did you think of them other than that?

Sidenote: Besides Human Common/Warrior 1s, what do people want to see as Empty Skin examples, Zooming Brain Examples, and/or listed out for Corpse Ripper?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-04-07 at 01:43 AM.
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

I have been working on the Summon Undead interface, and have added the following clarification to the rolling eyeballs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The size of the image can be varied between as small as 1 inch across, to as large as 10 feet across, however it is always limited by the visual acuity of the eye. The brightness can be controlled (although it sheds no light on other objects), allowing, for instance, a human necromancer to gain the full benefits of an eye from a creature with low-light vision. Similarly, other types of visual cues are transcribed in a way that is visible to even a human (provided the viewer makes any necessary spot checks).
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Which of the following formats do people prefer for how these interact with the Summon Undead line?

New:
    Spellcasting:
    Add the following sizes and hitdies of Dark Hearts to the list of things summonable with the Summon Undead line of spells.
    {table=head]Lvl|(Undead)
    I
    | --
    II
    |standard Fine
    III
    |standard Diminutive
    IV
    |Advanced Diminutive (6HD)
    V
    |standard Tiny
    VI*
    |Advanced Tiny (12 HD)
    VII*
    |standard Small
    VIII*
    |Advanced Small (24 HD)
    IX*
    |standard Medium
    [/table]
    As always, you can use a spell from the Summon Undead series to summon 2 undead from the list for 1 spell level lower, or 4 undead from the list for 2 spell levels lower.

*This spell does not, to my knowledge, exist a-priori of this project. I might brew it up later, although it is going to be a bit narrow-focus unless other people jump on the homebrewing bandwagon.
    Original:
    Spellcasting:
    Add 1 standard Fine Dark-Heart to the list of things that may be summoned with Summon Undead II.
    Add 1 standard Diminutive Dark-Heart to the list of things that may be summoned with Summon Undead III.
    Add 1 Advanced Diminutive Dark-Heart (6 HD) to the list of things that may be summoned with Summon Undead IV.
    Add 1 standard Tiny Dark-Heart to the list of things that may be summoned with Summon Undead V.
    Add 1 Advanced Tiny Dark-Heart (12 HD) to the list of things that may be summoned with Summon Undead VI.
    Add 1 standard Small Dark-Heart to the list of things that may be summoned with Summon Undead VII*.
    Add 1 Advanced Small Dark-Heart (24HD) to the list of things that may be summoned with Summon Undead VIII*.
    Add 1 standard Medium Dark-Heart to the list of things that may be summoned with Summon Undead IX*.

As always, you can use a spell from the Summon Undead series to summon 2 undead from the list for 1 spell level lower, or 4 undead from the list for 2 spell levels lower.

*This spell does not, to my knowledge, exist a-priori of this project. I might brew it up later, although it is going to be a bit narrow-focus unless other people jump on the homebrewing bandwagon.
    Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #49

Personaly the frist one, will post more on the creatures tomarrow sorry for taking so long to respond

Spoiler
    Show

Take a Peek

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Personaly the frist one, will post more on the creatures tomarrow sorry for taking so long to respond
    Not a problem. I have been finding lots of stuff to work on in this project.

One or two things I failed to respond to:

On the idea that ganging together smaller Dark Hearts should produce the effect of a larger one, so you don't have to go hunt down a Giant:
    1. Half of the balance and interest of these is that they require additional roleplay. I don't want to encourage laziness.
    2. Think less "Giant" and more "Elephant", "Orca", and "Blue Whale". While harder to find (depending on campaign), and less Eeeeevil, they are a lot lower CR, and nobody is going to care to much if you go hunting odd game (or perfectly normal game in some cases if your campaign has a whaling industry). You are just an eccentric guy who is good at killing stuff and wants a change of pace in game in between serious challenges. Ok, so you might get a druid on your case, but probably not even that if you are discrete.

Fat Globs DO have DR (it is overcome by slashing damage), and are outright immune to bludgeoning.

In other news, I may be adding some turn resistance to some of these, such as the Muscle Masses. Also might change "Easily Controlled" on the Fat Globs from 1/4 HD to 1/3 HD. Both changes are because of the GM for one of my campaigns pointing out that one of my minions was higher CR than I was (or would be if it wasn't a Gestalt game).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-04-14 at 01:04 AM.
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I have to ask, with weird necromancer surgeons and evil clerics, could a living being have some of these organ undead grafted to it? (with some nasty side effects of course?), like someone who has had fat globs shoved into its body, or has a dark heart instead of a normal one?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    I have to ask, with weird necromancer surgeons and evil clerics, could a living being have some of these organ undead grafted to it? (with some nasty side effects of course?), like someone who has had fat globs shoved into its body, or has a dark heart instead of a normal one?
    I don't know... are there rules for undead grafts beyond that one PrC with the undead arm?

If so, you probably COULD do it maybe, but... what would be the point?

The heart beats once every 6 seconds canonically, so even if you had Tomb Tainted Soul, it wouldn't be any good for moving blood around if you stuck to that.

I guess you could stab your giant beer-belly and have have a psuedo-pod reach out to cause fatigue... as extra attacks go, a DC 9 Touch of Fatigue isn't so great.

I guess I am saying that there might be some potential, but I would have to see some rules for undead grafts (maybe from "How to Attach Everything to Everything, Grafts that Don't Make Me Cry Myself to Sleep at Night"... don't know if that covers undead), and even then it wouldn't be an entirely straight-forward process. They would need to be powered up a bit probably, and/or give some biologically related function. That second one is problematic because many of these things have REVERSED functionality, with the brains causing brainlessness, the hearts killing, and the muscles causing weakness.
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground

Libris Mortis has rules for grafts, but it's rather luckluster, though I believe Lords of Madness also has some grafts (not sure if there are any undead ones though). I would suggest to look at the symbiotes in the Eberron books, if you have them, if you do plan to make options to use them as grafts.

What about grafts that are bad for you, like cursed items being the inverse to magic items? Can you imagine someone being forcibly implanted, especially a PC, and then requiring a quest to remove it?

I would give a proper peach on the organs, but I think they are really cool how they are and don't have much more input than that.
    Last edited by eftexar; 2013-04-13 at 01:07 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, long story short. Harmful grafts aren't likely to be something I would do unless it were something that could be used for either leverage, or maybe a really torturous revenge. But the second would be hard to make work without making the character useless for adventuring.

Others should feel free. I don't really go in for Bond-Villian-esque overly-complicated kills.

I suppose I might do something like a magical band that can be implanted around the heart of a living being. Which can be triggered (either by the creature it is implanted in or via a command word spoken to the creature) that would convert their lifeforce into a single super-powerful Dark Heart-like pulse. Maybe it deals the creature's hitpoints, save for half. Would have to be hard to make though, or you get PC necromancers abusing it with draft horses.

Similarly, the possibility for Corpse Ripper... even triggering on death from other causes... could be a good deterrent, especially for VIPs with NPC levels.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-11-23 at 06:05 PM.
    Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

just...to ask a stupid question...could you make acidic, poisonous, disease spreading, or at least nauseating sweat glands...just...asking...sorry its 12:49 AM right here and my brain gets weird...XD
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    just...to ask a stupid question...could you make acidic, poisonous, disease spreading, or at least nauseating sweat glands...just...asking...sorry its 12:49 AM right here and my brain gets weird...XD
    Eeeeh... maybe a variant empty skin (since the skin contains the sweat glands). But yeah, probably not.
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

I got a PM, so I am going to exercise my "I started a Homebrew thread, so I am allowed to bump it." privileges and copy it over here to reply to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drack
    Reading through the undeads again as the campaign mentioned before died young, and I've just recently revived it.
    Please tell me how it goes after using them? The pre-play ideas are very useful, but post-play is even better.

Loving the flavor on these, and it's pretty awesome that the added versatility of more undeads is balanced out by flavorful skill checks, or the necessity of devoting slots to other spells.
    Thank you.
    Mostly because of this I'm afraid I've turned to disfavor the spells that allow them to be easily made, <SNIP>
    Well, they require twice as expensive of a material component, and a much higher level spell slot, aren't as effective about the Muscle Masses and Fat Globs (since 4 4 HD undead aren't as useful as one 16 HD undead of the same type) and you don't get to pick what animates, so you can easily end up with useless (to the situation you are in) or uncontrolled undead. Note that it is touch range, so those uncontrolled undead are probably going to be right next to you.

Do you think I should further increase the inefficiency of the material component?

Or maybe they are fine for most games, but you should house-rule them away?

What does everyone think?
    Dark heart: might want to give it hide to go with it's move silently as I fear the smaller ones might not survive long otherwise. Still there are some fun ways to cover this as needed like having it close to a victim, though I'd still consider hide skill for completeness.
    I can list their hide checks, which should be decent enough just based on the size bonuses, and the larger ones shouldn't be that stealthy anyway (although skill-ranks may alter that, in which case I may end up making the number of ranks constant, rather than HD based.
    Empty Skin: I'm gonna suggest a HD cap equal to the caster's CL as it seems a bit tougher then your normal animate dead. This is mostly due to hollowness and fast healing though lifelike can make them stronger in another way. Still well balanced though.
    Rolling eyeball: might consider climb, or the ability to roll up surfaces just because as it is it can roll down but not up. (First one I plan to use, dropped discretely by some zombie ravens.)
    Climb? Probably not. No manipulative appendages and I don't want to make them Spider-Climb like... maybe as an "Improved" version. Now JUMP, that I might do.
    Will probably drop a floating lungs in too for fun. Also more pointing out then complaining, but no CR on brains. I would be tempted to say ability score damage-> somewhere 3+, though considering that the low HP potentially brings this down you could probably do it similarly to the liver, but with a boost of one or two for it being an aura.
    Ummm... I don't think you quite understand the problem, or maybe you just omitted a key phrase. The problem is that a zooming brain made from an elephant is slightly different from one made from a Small animal with identical mental ability scores to said elephant. And both of those are very different from one made from a human with 10's in all mental ability scores, and all of those are very different from one made from an exceptional human with Int 18, Wis 16, and Cha 16.[/QUOTE]
    Thus my listing of specific examples, which COULD maybe be given CRs.

So WHICH version of a zooming brain would be CR 3 in your opinion?
    Anywho hope this helps
    Yes, yes it does.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-06-17 at 10:57 PM.
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Yup I was looking at the individual threads, so hopefully I didn't miss any important changes.

Pre-play/post-play: I know, though I figured since I told you I'd be running it before this thread was up, I may as well toss an update.

Double material components: Hmm, I think it'd be nifty if there were spells that expedite the crafting, and require the caster to at least have ready any required spells, and still make the required skill checks. The reacl core of the issue isn't the idea, but how players will probably use it. I play many epic and higher power level games, and the occasional level 1 game. In games where I would expect hoards of these, players are vary likely to either have the epic ignore material components feat, or be using some fishy method to obtain large sums of wealth, then using that wealth to bypass other requirements for the undeads. I know I personally make these virtually impossible, but I find most players still expect them to be viable. Overall material components aren't going to signify a grater investment as well as skills, or spell slots. That's what I was considering that made me reconsider some of my previous comments in the other thread about the corpse ripper spell. The undeads above have a wide range of abilities and uses that aren't all found in the books offering more versatility, it seems only reasonable for there to be some character investment for that. In any case it's not as much a problem in my game as NPCs are using them anyways, and I freely houserule things so no worries there, just thought I'd bring the concern to your attention. All the same just clarify, I don't think it's a bad call on summon undead as that's slightly different.

Hide checks for dark hearts: Ah, point. I had forgotten about size.

Climb/jump: I was working along the lines of rolling, and how sometimes things can for instance roll along walls. Overall though it' just the concern of a second undead being necessary to elevate them whenever they're used...

Zooming: Hmm... so speed is based on size, damage by int, manuverablity by wis, and aura range by size... I'm starting to see a vary convoluted CR formula coming... Hmm. Well my first thought is that were aura range based off cha (more charismatic thoughts influencing more people), and flight peed something like the sum of all mental ability modifiers times 5', then you could probably do a simple formula where you use the sum of all mental multiplirs to do CR allowing maneuverability, aura effect, and aura range to be favored by the caster, as the three really play in together to decide how hard it is to beat... Though that would just be me scribbling all over your homebrew, so no need...
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    Yup I was looking at the individual threads, so hopefully I didn't miss any important changes.

Pre-play/post-play: I know, though I figured since I told you I'd be running it before this thread was up, I may as well toss an update.
    Thank for doing so!
    Double material components: Hmm, I think it'd be nifty if there were spells that expedite the crafting, and require the caster to at least have ready any required spells, and still make the required skill checks. The reacl core of the issue isn't the idea, but how players will probably use it. I play many epic and higher power level games, and the occasional level 1 game. In games where I would expect hoards of these, players are vary likely to either have the epic ignore material components feat,
    Spending an Epic Feat on it is not a trivial thing, although that feat is a solid investment for clerics seeking to make Death's Revolving Door a well greased one.
    or be using some fishy method to obtain large sums of wealth, then using that wealth to bypass other requirements for the undeads. I know I personally make these virtually impossible, but I find most players still expect them to be viable. Overall material components aren't going to signify a grater investment as well as skills, or spell slots.
    I thought about the spells slots, but rejected it as too complicated. You have actually inspired me to consider adding skill-rank requirements to casting the spell. Perhaps 14 ranks in either Heal or Craft[Butcher] (The character can have either, I'm not going to pick one). That would be the maximum ranks you can have in a skill at level 11, which is when you get access to this spell. I would say that you have to roll to create them, but unless I made it all or nothing, then you could cheese that by intentionally failing the rolls for the undead you don't want that would otherwise go uncontrolled and attack you.

Also, I should specify that you can grab 1,000+ GP worth of black onyx and cast the spell, and it will only use up the amount actually needed.

One thing you may not realize is that that spell is the ONLY way a single-classed character can easily create all of these by themselves, since the spells to create them come from varied spell lists.

Another point is that the spell is the same level as Create Undead, and most necromancers are going to be a lot more concerned about getting the RIGHT mix of special abilities (and thus, at the least, using this spell during down time and killing off the unwanted organs) or focusing on Ghouls and other intelligent undead granted by (Greater) Create Undead.

Yet another point is that if you look at my listings, you MAY see (I haven't rigorously looked into this myself) that your average humanoid will be a BIG reload, and thus a necromancer would have to have had a significant number of HD of undead wiped out to use this as a during/between encounters in a day.
    That's what I was considering that made me reconsider some of my previous comments in the other thread about the corpse ripper spell. The undeads above have a wide range of abilities and uses that aren't all found in the books offering more versatility, it seems only reasonable for there to be some character investment for that.
    Oh, indeed. That is why the skill checks and extra spells were a big deal in the first place, I just thought that at higher levels there ought to be a way to get around that... plus the image of a single corpse bursting apart into about 10* different undead can be a real "Oh, #@@#$!" moment or at least visceral (with authentic viscera!) moment.

*2 eyes, two inner ears, brain, skeleton, liver, heart, lungs, muscles, and maybe fat)
    In any case it's not as much a problem in my game as NPCs are using them anyways, and I freely houserule things so no worries there, just thought I'd bring the concern to your attention. All the same just clarify, I don't think it's a bad call on summon undead as that's slightly different.
    You mean I made the right call on adding them to the lists?

Hide checks for dark hearts: Ah, point. I had forgotten about size.

Climb/jump: I was working along the lines of rolling, and how sometimes things can for instance roll along walls. Overall though it' just the concern of a second undead being necessary to elevate them whenever they're used...
    They can patrol on a given floor, or roll under a door and back to get information. Once I add the jumping stuff, they should be able to hop up staircases one step at a time well enough. They aren't supposed to be GOOD scouts as far as their ability to GET places, but more CHEAP ones, and very very accurate ones (since you can "review the tape" as many times as you like until you redeploy them).
    Zooming: Hmm... so speed is based on size, damage by int, manuverablity by wis, and aura range by size... I'm starting to see a vary convoluted CR formula coming... Hmm. Well my first thought is that were aura range based off cha (more charismatic thoughts influencing more people),
    Ah, but the charisma sets the DC!
    and flight peed something like the sum of all mental ability modifiers times 5', then you could probably do a simple formula where you use the sum of all mental multiplirs to do CR allowing maneuverability, aura effect, and aura range to be favored by the caster, as the three really play in together to decide how hard it is to beat... Though that would just be me scribbling all over your homebrew, so no need...
    Yeah, I'd prefer to just set some CRs for the individual examples to start with (and I think I may have been doing so as I went).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-06-18 at 11:54 PM.
    Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

I cant wait to see the juggernaut thing :D

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies