New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Hamma Jamma [3.5 Prestige Class]

Hammer Bro

My grandpappy's hammer is gonna strike you down, man! Here it comes!
    -- Hamma, a hammer bro

Oh, World 7-1
    You were my turf
    How unfortunate
    That it was taken by that little smurf...

Hit Die: d10.

Requirements
    To qualify to become a hammer bro, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
    Skills: Jump 5 ranks.
    Feats: Quick Draw, Point Blank Shot.
    Special: Must have made a Jump check and hit an enemy with a thrown hammer in the same round.

Class Skills: The hammer bro's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), and Spot (Wis).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

HAMMER BRO
    Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
    1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Bonus feat, hammer lob, hop
    2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 Collaborative throw, multi-throw
    3rd +3 +3 +1 +1 Bonus feat, hammer maneuver, hammerspace

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the hammer bro.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Hammer bros gain proficiency with all hammers.

Bonus Feats: The hammer bro gains bonus feats chosen from the fighter bonus feat list at 1st and 3rd level. He considers Leap Attack1 a fighter feat for this purpose. If a hammer bro chooses Leap Attack, he gains the benefits of the feat as long as he is wielding a hammer, makes a successful Jump check, and is within one range increment of his target. A hammer brother can apply the Power Throw1 feat to his Leap Attack instead of the Power Attack feat if he so chooses. Finally, a hammer bro can select Power Throw as a bonus feat even if he does not meet the Power Attack prerequisite.

Hammer Lob (Ex): The hammer bro can ignore all soft cover provided by allies and enemies alike when throwing hammers. In addition, all range increments on hammers increase by 20 feet. If a hammer cannot normally be thrown without an attack penalty, it gains a 20-foot range increment and can be thrown without the penalty.

Hop (Ex): A hammer bro can hop once per round while moving. The hammer bro gains a +2 bonus to AC and thrown hammers gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage after hopping. Hopping itself doesn't move the hammer bro; it is simply a part of movement.

Collaborative Throw (Ex): At 2nd level, when an ally hits an opponent with a melee or ranged attack, a hammer bro can also make a thrown hammer attack against that opponent. This is considered an attack of opportunity.

Multi-Throw (Ex): Whenever the hammer bro throws a hammer, he can quickly throw a number of additional hammers equal to his hammer bro level. Successive hammer throws against the same target deal half damage and use the same attack bonus as the throw that triggered them. The extra thrown hammers do not allow the hammer bro to throw even more with this ability.

Hammer Maneuver: At 3rd level, the hammer bro is so skilled with the thrown hammer that he may attempt to bull rush, disarm, sunder, or trip at a +2 bonus when throwing a hammer as if he was in melee combat and attempted the same. None of these maneuvers provokes an attack of opportunity. For the purposes of bull rushing and tripping, the hammer bro uses his own size. For the purposes of disarming and sundering, all hammers thrown by the hammer bro are considered one-handed unless they are two-handed, in which case they are considered two-handed.

Hammerspace (Ex): The hammer bro possesses an arbitrarily high number of hammers. The hammer bro never runs out of hammers to throw, pulling new hammers seemingly out of nowhere. Any hammers the hammer bro did not previously own do not have value, and so cannot be sold for currency. If the hammer bro enhances one of his hammers, all of them are considered enhanced, though they are still worth no money. If the hammer bro has multiple magically enhanced hammers, he chooses which hammer applies its magical properties to the rest of his hammers. The other magic hammers are unchanged, but do not modify his endless supply of hammers in any way. The hammer bro can switch which magic hammer affects his endless supply by taking 1 hour to throw hammers while focusing on the original magic hammer.

1. Complete Adventurer.

Alternate Class Features

Boomerang Bro
    A hammer bro who wields boomerangs instead of hammers is called a boomerang bro. These masters of the iconic returning weapon are capable of hitting an obscene amount of opponents--especially when with allies capable of battlefield control.
    The boomerang bro class feature allows the hammer bro to be a monster on the battlefield, thinning enemy ranks extremely quickly.
    Level: Hammer bro 1st.
    Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain proficiency with all hammers, hammer lob, or hammer maneuver.
    Benefit: First, you gain proficiency with all boomerangs and any ability that requires a thrown hammer to be used is changed to require a thrown boomerang. Second, you are able to ignore soft cover as with hammer lob, except only against the first target you hit in a round. Third, you gain the ability to hit multiple creatures with a single throw of your boomerang. Every time you hit a creature, you may attack another creature within 5 feet of the first at a -5 penalty. This attack deals half damage. There is no limit to the number of times this can happen in one round, each additional attack occurring 5 feet from the target the boomerang previously hit and incurring an additional -5 penalty. Finally, at 3rd level, you gain the ability to bull rush, disarm, reverse bull rush, or trip at a +2 bonus when throwing a boomerang as if you were in melee combat and attempting the same. A reverse bull rush is treated exactly like a bull rush, except you pull a creature toward you instead of pushing it away. For the purposes of bull rushing, reverse bull rushing, and tripping, the hammer bro uses his own size. For the purposes of disarming, all boomerangs thrown by the hammer bro are considered one-handed unless they are two-handed, in which case they are considered two-handed.

Fire Bro
    Sometimes, a hammer bro just doesn't fit the name, wielding fire instead of hammers. He is called the fire bro. He will burn you.
    The fire bro class feature grants the hammer bro fire attacks. This is usually all he needs to feel good about himself.
    Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain proficiency with all hammers, hammer lob, or hammerspace.
    Benefit: You gain the ability to throw tiny fireballs as ranged attacks and any ability that requires a thrown hammer to be used is changed to require a thrown fireball. These fireballs deal fire damage based on the hammer bro's size, as shown on the table below. They are otherwise treated like all other thrown weapons, including in the ability to be magically enhanced (enhancing one fireball enhances them all). In addition, every time you hit an enemy, all targets within 5 feet must succeed on a DC 10 + 1/2 Hit Dice + Str modifier Reflex save or be engulfed in flame, taking the fireball damage instantly and being treated as caught on fire every round after for 3 + class levels rounds. Finally, at 3rd level, every time you throw a fireball, it bounces on the ground on the way to its target, setting each square on the way ablaze for 3 rounds. Any creature that steps into one of these squares is flat-footed and catches on fire for 1 round. Remaining in the fire sustains these effects. For the purposes of bull rushing and tripping, the hammer bro uses his own size. For the purposes of disarming and sundering, all fireballs thrown by the hammer bro are considered one-handed.

Size Damage
    Fine 1d2
    Diminutive 1d3
    Tiny 1d4
    Small 1d6
    Medium 1d8
    Large 2d6
    Huge 3d6
    Gargantuan 4d6
    Colossal 6d6

Ice Bro
    Sometimes, a hammer bro just doesn't fit the name, wielding snow and ice instead of hammers. He is called the ice bro. Cold will consume you.
    The ice bro class feature grants the hammer bro ice attacks and the ability to freeze targets, granting more powerful single-target control.
    Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain proficiency with all hammers, hammer lob, or hammerspace.
    Benefit: You gain the ability to throw tiny iceballs as ranged attacks and any ability that requires a thrown hammer to be used is changed to require a thrown iceball. These iceballs deal cold damage based on the hammer bro's size, as shown on the table below. They are otherwise treated like all other thrown weapons, including in the ability to be magically enhanced (enhancing one iceball enhances them all). In addition, once per round when you hit an enemy, it must succeed on a DC 10 + 1/2 Hit Dice + Str modifier Reflex save or be frozen, paralyzed for class levels rounds. Every round in which the target is frozen, it is allowed a Strength check of the same DC to break out of the ice. Finally, at 3rd level, every time you throw a iceball, it bounces on the ground on the way to its target, freezing each square along the way for 3 rounds. Any creature that steps into one of these squares is flat-footed and must succeed on a DC 10 + 1/2 Hit Dice + Str modifier Balance check or fall prone for 1 round. Remaining on the ice sustains these effects. For the purposes of bull rushing and tripping, the hammer bro uses his own size. For the purposes of disarming and sundering, all iceballs thrown by the hammer bro are considered one-handed.

Size Damage
    Fine 1d2
    Diminutive 1d3
    Tiny 1d4
    Small 1d6
    Medium 1d8
    Large 2d6
    Huge 3d6
    Gargantuan 4d6
    Colossal 6d6

Sledge Bro
    Some hammer bros are simply bigger and heavier than others. They love to romp around and cause a ruckus with their larger size.
    The sledge bro class feature gives the hammer bro more crowd control in combat at the price of pure offense, defense, and actions.
    Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain hop.
    Benefit: You gain the ability to take a move action to jump into the air and slam the ground, creating a small earthquake, dazing all creatures within 15 feet unless they succeed on a DC 10 + 1/2 Hit Dice + Str modifier Reflex save. Alternatively, the sledge bro can direct the quake to be in a line instead of a radius. This raises the range to 30 feet.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2014-08-18 at 02:07 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Hamma Jamma [3.5 Prestige Class]

I love this! It looks like a lot of fun to play and a great adaptation of an iconic Mario baddie.

A couple of comments, just to clarify some things that seem a bit confusing or awkward. Mostly personal preference things.

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei
    Bonus Feats: The hammer bro gains bonus feats chosen from the fighter bonus feat list in addition to Leap Attack at 1st and 3rd level. If Leap Attack is chosen, the hammer bro can use it whenever he charges, jumps, and is within a range increment of an opponent, rather than threatening an opponent. In addition, it allows Power Throw to be applied to it rather than Power Attack. Power Attack is not a prerequisite for Power Throw if Power Throw is taken as a bonus feat from this list.
    The wording of this is a bit awkward, imo. I'd recommend something like, "The hammer bro gains bonus feats chosen from the fighter bonus feat list. He considers Leap Attack a fighter feat for this purpose. If a hammer bro chooses Leap Attack, he gains the benefits of the feat as long as he is wielding a hammer, makes a successful Jump check, and is within one range increment of his target. A hammer brother can apply the Power Throw feat to his Leap Attack instead of the Power Attack feat, if he so chooses. Finally, a hammer bro can select Power Throw as a bonus feat even if he does not meet the Power Attack prerequisite."

Or something like that. Just a suggestion that would make the paragraph read more smoothly in my mind. Take it or leave it.

Hop (Ex): A hammer bro can hop once per round while moving. The hammer bro gains a +2 bonus to AC and thrown hammers gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage after hopping.
    What exactly are the parameters of this hop? Does the hammer bro move? Does he have to make a Jump check? My guess is "no" on both counts, but the word hop implies some sort of movement so I figured I'd ask for clarity's sake.

Collaborative Throw: At 2nd level, the hammer bro can attack an opponent within 60 feet that an ally hits as an attack of opportunity.
    Another re-wording suggestion: "At 2nd level, when an ally hits an opponent with a melee or ranged attack, a hammer bro can also make a thrown hammer attack against that opponent as an immediate action." Also make sure to designate whether this is Ex or Su.

Multi-Throw (Ex): Whenever the hammer bro throws a hammer, he can quickly throw a number of additional hammers equal to his hammer bro level. Successive hammer throws against the same target deal half damage.
    What's the attack bonus for the follow-up hammers? How does this interact with full attacks? Can a hammer bro with multiple attacks per round use this ability on each one?

Endless Hammers: At 3rd level, the hammer bro possesses an arbitrarily high number of hammers. The hammer bro never runs out of hammers to throw, pulling new hammers seemingly out of nowhere. Any hammers the hammer bro did not previously own do not have value, and so cannot be sold for currency. If the hammer bro enhances one of his hammers, all of them are considered enhanced, though they are still worth no money.
    Again, what's the designation for this ability? Su? Ex? Something else. Also, if the hammer bro has multiple enchanted hammers, which enchantments apply to this ability. And why not call it "Hammerspace?"

Hammer Maneuver: A hammer bro is so skilled with the thrown hammer that he may attempt to bull rush, disarm, sunder, or trip at a +2 bonus when throwing a hammer as if he was in melee combat and attempted the same. None of these maneuvers provokes an attack of opportunity.
    I like this ability. Thrown hammers seem uniquely suited to ranged sunders and bull rushes, especially. Make sure you specify the hammer bro's size for some of these maneuvers, though. Bull rush and trip have size-based bonuses/penalties. Do thrown hammers count as one-handed weapons for disarm purposes?

Great, fun class! Thanks for posting it.
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth View Post
    The wording of this is a bit awkward, imo. I'd recommend something like, "The hammer bro gains bonus feats chosen from the fighter bonus feat list. He considers Leap Attack a fighter feat for this purpose. If a hammer bro chooses Leap Attack, he gains the benefits of the feat as long as he is wielding a hammer, makes a successful Jump check, and is within one range increment of his target. A hammer brother can apply the Power Throw feat to his Leap Attack instead of the Power Attack feat, if he so chooses. Finally, a hammer bro can select Power Throw as a bonus feat even if he does not meet the Power Attack prerequisite."

Or something like that. Just a suggestion that would make the paragraph read more smoothly in my mind. Take it or leave it.
    I like it. I wrote this very early in the morning right before going to bed, so there were bound to be wording issues.

What exactly are the parameters of this hop? Does the hammer bro move? Does he have to make a Jump check? My guess is "no" on both counts, but the word hop implies some sort of movement so I figured I'd ask for clarity's sake.
    I could have sworn I had included a portion on this. Maybe I deleted it on accident. Anyway, you're right on the "no" answer to both. The hop itself does not move the hammer bro; it's part of movement.

Another re-wording suggestion: "At 2nd level, when an ally hits an opponent with a melee or ranged attack, a hammer bro can also make a thrown hammer attack against that opponent as an immediate action." Also make sure to designate whether this is Ex or Su.
    That wording was killing me. I don't know why I didn't think of this. Thanks.

What's the attack bonus for the follow-up hammers? How does this interact with full attacks? Can a hammer bro with multiple attacks per round use this ability on each one?
    Good questions. The attack bonus for each would be at whatever bonus the attack that triggered them was at. In this way, you'd be allowed to do it multiple times per round since the lower attack bonus makes it harder to hit and they do half damage anyway.

Again, what's the designation for this ability? Su? Ex? Something else. Also, if the hammer bro has multiple enchanted hammers, which enchantments apply to this ability. And why not call it "Hammerspace?"
    It's extraordinary because it being supernatural would bring up all sorts of questions in an antimagic field and that, frankly, is just too much complication for its own good.

Also, ha. I'm changing it now.

I like this ability. Thrown hammers seem uniquely suited to ranged sunders and bull rushes, especially. Make sure you specify the hammer bro's size for some of these maneuvers, though. Bull rush and trip have size-based bonuses/penalties. Do thrown hammers count as one-handed weapons for disarm purposes?
    Good points. I'll see what I can do to clear all of this up.

Great, fun class! Thanks for posting it.
    I really appreciate your critique, and thank you.

EDIT: Changes made.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-04-02 at 05:27 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4

I just played some Super Mario Bros Wii, partially inspired by your class. What are the chances I can get you to expand it to a 5-level PrC to incorporate some of the Hammer Bros variations like Fire Bros and Sledge Bros and Ice Bros?
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5

I just played some Super Mario Bros Wii, partially inspired by your class. What are the chances I can get you to expand it to a 5-level PrC to incorporate some of the Hammer Bros variations like Fire Bros and Sledge Bros and Ice Bros?
    Don't forget Boomerang Bros.

I was thinking about it. I'll start work on a bunch of variants now and edit them into the first post.
    Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6

Instead of expanding the current class or making new classes, the boomerang bro, fire bro/ice bro, and sledge bro are alternate class features. The sledge bro is a simple substitution of hop for "quake hop." Boomerang bro and fire bro/ice bro are a bit more complicated.

Critique is greatly appreciated.
    Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7

Yay! I like the variants.

One thing to note is that, as written, they can still only use their higher-level abilities with hammers. At least, that's how I read it. You should put a note in the variants that allows them to apply the higher-level abilities to boomerangs/fireballs/iceballs.

Also, might I suggest a higher-level ability that allows the Ice Bro to immobilize creatures hit with their iceballs. That's the worst part about them in Super Mario Bros Wii!

Finally, I just noticed that you could enter this PrC at 3rd level. Is that the intention? I don't see anything in them that would be overwhelming, but I wanted to make sure that was your intention.

Now I want to play a Hammer Bro in a Mario-themed campaign!
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8

Yay! I like the variants.

One thing to note is that, as written, they can still only use their higher-level abilities with hammers. At least, that's how I read it. You should put a note in the variants that allows them to apply the higher-level abilities to boomerangs/fireballs/iceballs.
    I'll do that.

Also, might I suggest a higher-level ability that allows the Ice Bro to immobilize creatures hit with their iceballs. That's the worst part about them in Super Mario Bros Wii!
    I'll see what I can do.

Finally, I just noticed that you could enter this PrC at 3rd level. Is that the intention? I don't see anything in them that would be overwhelming, but I wanted to make sure that was your intention.

Now I want to play a Hammer Bro in a Mario-themed campaign!
    It was intended for lower-level entry, yes.

For the Super Mario Bros. campaign, make sure you include this.

EDIT: The following changes were made.

• The boomerang bro, fire bro, and ice bro's abilities are now all allowed to be used with their respective weapons.
    • Ice bro is separate from fire bro and has a few key changes; the primary change is that the ice bro is capable of paralyzing a hit target, who is allowed a Reflex save to avoid it and a Strength check to break out every round after.
    • The note on the ice bro was removed since there is now an ice bro alternate class feature.
    • The boomerang bro, fire bro, and ice bro now have a little bit on size considerations for the purposes of combat maneuvers (bull rush, reverse bull rush, etc.).
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-04-04 at 04:22 PM.
    Homebrew