Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Balance Shifts - In Character

A Desolate Battlefield:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you can see invisibility:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creatures draw near, both are huge, and they each carry a massive hammer and wear an ornate full plate.

Once they reach you, they circle above by about 200 ft.

A booming voice speaks out from the sky (those that can see invisible creatures know one of them spoke).

"What is it that you want?"

Knowledge (The Planes) DC 35:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The humanoids are titans, they possess great physical power and an array of magical abilities, most of which are destructive. They are chaotic, though can be of any moral alignment.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Battle field.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Invisible? Cowards.Kir'Hai mutters.

I see them, big fellas. Whispered to Kir'Hai.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

The battlefeild
    Spoiler
    Show
    The black furred shape that Irin currently inhabits begins at first to twitch subtly but then the twitches grow and spread to spasms and her mouth, sealed shut in furious concentration, begins to let out the wine of a heavily muffled screech even as she grows rapidly in size.

(Shifting from zern into a dusk giant with the racial bonus to intimidate of a thrym hound)

And as her growth peaks the now towering humanoid hulk of muscle finally lets out it's contained primal roar in a terrifying bellow. "Get down here cowards!"

(d20+51)[55] Intimidate (size huge, size mods not included)

4. - Top - End - #274

Battlefield (everyone would be here I think so we wouldn't need a spoiler).

"We are not answerable to the likes of you. We ask you again, what do you want?"

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Knowledge Planes" - (1d20+29)[49]

"Why should we tell you, Titans? Would you be inclined to help? To answer? Or would we simply be supplying information to potential foes?"
    Last edited by whoiam; 2013-08-25 at 12:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge_Planes_Auto_Confirm - (1d20+42)[55]

Telepathically:
    Right now we are simply trying to investigate a case of an unknown and very powerful entity, which threatened to destroy the Sigil.
    "You mean, more than those who believe stories of demons
    being summoned, and the ultimate war of good and evil,
    and barons who bathe in blood of virgins?"
    "Well, yes. Didn't quite buy that?"
    "I don't believe in virgins."

- Steven Brust, "Jheegala"

This sentence is false.

Thanks to Kymme for awesome avatar

7. - Top - End - #277

Psalacantha: "You called for us to come out. We presumed that you had an actual purpose when you told us to come out and 'get down here', or do you do this to everyone who you see? We do not know what you want, and therefore cannot answer."

Sorin: The other speaks too you. "Why do you think this... ruined caravan has anything to do with it? Do you really think something that could destroy Sigil would stoop to involve itself in a thing such as this? Countless creatures weaker than us, so obviously weaker than you could destroy a caravan without any support. Why do you chase shadows?

8. - Top - End - #278

Presumably, he used this as his means of luring us out so that he could confront us. He wanted to make sure none of us would intervene if he were to set his plan in motion. We've fought him, we've defeated him after a prolonged combat, but we're still not quite sure whether he's dead and we have no almost no idea what his motives were.

This sentence is false.

9. - Top - End - #279

"Who is this 'him' and why do you attempt to involve us in your foolishness?"

10. - Top - End - #280

He used a name of Sar Thok Gath (feel free to assume I've spoken the correct name, since I can't seem to remember it correctly). I can't really say why my friend here called you.
    Last edited by Dunkoro; 2013-08-25 at 01:43 PM.

This sentence is false.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show

"Diplomacy" - (1d20+43)[46]

"*I* did nothing of the sort." Psalacantha points at Irin. "*She* asked you to 'Get Down Here'. I tend to be more cautious than some of my colleagues.

Anyway, since they have decided to share their life stories regardless of whether or not such an action could be considered wise: We do not know if this Sar Thok Gath is truly capable of threatening Sigil. We know very little about him beyond the fact that he was capable of facing a group of us, and went out of his way to provoke such a conflict. Whether or not his stated aim is realistic, he is perfectly capable of threatening us in his pursuit of it.

Thus we begin the hunt for information that could be used to counter him... and to protect ourselves and the lands that are ours. So, unless you are here for us, or for him, then I suggest we should all be about our business.
    "

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Titans? Kir'Hai asks no one. What are you doing here, Titans? What purpose would you have flying in this area. Why do you cloak yourselves from us?

13. - Top - End - #283

Spoiler
    Show
    Sar Thok Gath is what he claimed his name was.

Psalacantha: "I was using 'you' to refer to the group, including the shapeshifter and the demon who first hailed us. You chose to answer our question."

Sorin: They stop at the mention of Sar Thok Gath. "Very well. We do not have issue with you, though your... colleague has called our valor into question."

Kir'Hai: The titans sigh, the first one answers slowly, giving a disparaging look. "If you took a moment to look around you, you would realize you are on a road, a road is a way leading somewhere. Surely you would not be surprised by outsiders such as ourselves in the Outlands. We were invisible as too not have encounters with rude mortals such as yourselves that pry into other peoples business. Why do you so mistakenly think you have the right to pry into others business and insult us in such a way? The world doesn't revolve around you."
    Last edited by rweird; 2013-08-25 at 02:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quietly, to Kir'Hai, Psalacantha explains "Titans have some natural magic. Invisibility is one of its more useful applications. Being inconspicuous has its advantages even when going about legitimate business - something that a 25 foot Outsider would have trouble achieving in plain sight, even out here."

Then back to the Titans: "Some of my colleagues are unskilled in matters of etiquette. They typically make up for such shortcomings by being extremely useful in combat. They are, in short, the sorts of being one would wish to have at her side when hunting brigands.

That said, my group are, for the reasons previously mentioned, somewhat on edge. With two recent ambushes along this stretch of road, we are... less welcoming than we would be under better circumstances.
    "

15. - Top - End - #285

"None the less, we still have issue with your colleague calling our valor into question. Are you the commander of this operation?"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Psalacantha's laughter answers that one long before she regains enough composure to continue speaking.

"No, I do not command these people. Had I the authority to order them to shut up, I would have done so.

We have no leader. And such an arrangement is every bit as disorganized as it sounds.
    "

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Kir'Hai's lip curled into a snarl. Rude? Quite likely. But my men have dedicated their lives, and all too frequently their deaths to ensure this world is a safer place. So, because of my men's constant sacrifice, I do feel the need to investigate suspicious activity. This raid is suspicious. Don't be so self-absorbed you actually think I care what your long term business is. I care why you are currently at the scene of a crime I am investigating. Whining that I am not the courteous diplomat beside me is just an annoying display of arrogant self over worth. You could just as easily said you were passing through to elsewhere and have been done with it.

Or maybe you are so blinded by your own self importance you failed to notice you were at the scene of an attack, or perhaps you failed to realize that we were investigating it. Or maybe you are too dim witted to think those who are investigating a scene might question those who pass by. Surely you realized all this though? Surely if you are capable of speech you have enough logic to deduce that it is perfectly within normality for us to question you. I can't say I've had to deal with Titans very much, they've never caused a big enough stir for my forces to need to march against them and so this is my first encounter with such a being. Your first impression is not a good one. So tell me, ye who is far too rude to reveal themselves during a conversation, are your people so arrogant you believe a simple question about your purpose in being in a location is an insult, or should I grow suspicious of your indignation? You protest far too much at a simple question, and slather on far too many insults over nothing.

Kir'Hai huffed. Any insult you feel is of your own fabrication. I did nothing more than question that which is questionable. Sure, flying to a place invisible makes sense, but engaging in conversation while maintaining your lack of visibility is rude, and suspicious. In an attempt to return the the proper saive faire of roadside meetings, I'll introduce myself. I am Kir'Hai, of the Kir'Hai raiders, this metallic man of cloth is Silk, my right hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    If they are chaotic evil, knowing who I am demands they make a DC 29 Will save or be shaken. This pierces mind effecting immunities. Regardless, Abyssal Warlord levels makes Kir'Hai's name scary.

He was also (sort of) trying to be diplomatic, so: (d20+32)[38] and maybe even a little intimidating, so: (d20+34)[46]

18. - Top - End - #288

"I see..." He reaches into a saddlebag and pulls something out slightly, looks at it, before putting it back in, exchanging a look with the other titan. "How about your companions explain themselves then?" As Kir'Hai speaks, the other titan bends reaches into its saddlebag and pulls something out too though staying low in the saddle, the mount rising into the air.

Listen DC 45:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He whispers something into his hand.

Listen DC 55 (assuming you speak Giant):
    Spoiler
    Show
    He whispers "Have them, same place, but a few others... Go."

Kir'Hai: "On what authority do you have any right to investigate us. Surely we should be equally paranoid any believe that you did the deed and question you on your motives. We found you in the wreckage of a destroyed caravan, and without any pretext, explanation, or declaration of authority, decide to question us about a ridiculous, probably fabricated scenario to cover your own guilt. Or do you lack the cognitive ability to deduce that you either have no authority as law enforcement, or if you do, never presented it, so it would appear that those most likely of being guilty of this destruction if such an entity is present, take it upon themselves to question others of there involvement."

Spoiler
    Show
    The one that didn't speak seems a bit worried by you.

Turning to Psalacantha the other says. "The disorder of your group now is blatantly obvious."
    Last edited by rweird; 2013-08-25 at 04:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Listen" - (1d20+25)[45]
    "Sense Motive" - (1d20+35)[38]

The responses to Kir'Hai seem atypical of Titans. They're not exactly law-abiding communal entities, so the moment they started claiming Kir'Hai's actions were unlawful, she got suspicious. Well, more suspicious. The sense motive check is to see if she thinks they're putting it on or believes they're actually atypical.

...Okay, even more suspicious now. Shame even a natural 20 doesn't get me into the inner spoiler :(

Psalacantha listens politely through the Titan's response, then asks "Who or what is your friend talking to?"
    Last edited by whoiam; 2013-08-25 at 04:15 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290

whoiam:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You think that they are annoyed by this, and there actions are picking a fight, construing information into there favor. Due to them being chaotic they probably would be equally offended by a legitimate search, but they see it being illegitimate, and Kir'Hai as hypocritical for being so intrusive on the grounds of investigation without any authority to investigate. The pointing you are just as likely is trying to show the point that they would have just as much a right, possibly more, to be suspicious and intrusive too you.

Titans often are hot-headed and from the minor annoyance at first, it built so now these two seem determined to take everything badly.

"He's informing the one at our destination of a delay, seeing as you seem so intent to apprehend us. Now, tell us who you are, seeing as you are whispering too each other as well."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show

"Sense Motive" - (1d20+35)[49] Checking for lies in their previous response
    "Sense Motive" - (1d20+35)[37] If, as I suspect, they come up with a reason to not move on, this is to check if their response is genuine or an attempt to force a confrontation.

"Then it seems we are delaying one another when we both have places to be. Be about your business, and we will be about ours."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Kir'Hai does not make the chaotic connection his aunt does, but nobody questions his right as a justice enforcement officer. Law enforcement? No. But he has been a sanctioned vigilante for a long time now.

Maybe my words fall on deaf, ignorant ears, but I did present to you my authority. I presented my name. And you still hide behind cloaks of invisibility. Aurora. We are not whispering. He speaks the name of his succubus simply, letting her know he has a job for her.

In Kir'Hai's head.

Spoiler
    Show
    What? Comes Aurora's angry voice.

Tell my aunt I am ready for violence. Tell that Sorin man as well. Do not speak to the titans or attempt any communication with them. Inform Sorin that I would be much better suited to fighting whatever these things are is I could see them.

Psala

Spoiler
    Show

A demonic voice whispers telepathically: Your nephew says he is in a bad mood. Ready to spill blood.

Sorin

Spoiler
    Show
    A demonic voice whispers telepathically: Kir'Hai wishes bloodshed. He cannot see his foe however.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

In Psalacantha's Head:
    Spoiler
    Show

The two Titans are itching for a fight as well, so he may just get his wish.

24. - Top - End - #294

"Kir'Hai. Does that mean that if I state my name, you should unquestionably cooperate with me? Just because you happen to have a name does not mean you have any right to ask such questions. Your nymph whispered something too you recently. Still, you are hiding behind your claim that having a name allows you to do whatever the hell you want. Well, lets say we accept that claim, then we want to be invisible right now, most of you can see us anyways."

whoiam:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You think the answer is genuine, that he is contacting them.

For the answer, you think that they don't want to appear to flee from such insults, and do want to argue, potentially fight, though you think they purposely ignored your attempt to calm things down.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

No, fool. Only a select few names carry enough weight to have meaning. If you meant the brief aside that happened several exchanges ago, she only mentioned that you were Titans, and claimed you had some honor. She has yet to prove her claim, however. Kir'Hai snorted and spat on the ground. Titan honor. Cannot even converse with honor.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"You are deliberately trying to provoke us now. And sooner or later, one of us will rise to the bait. So this is the last time I will offer it: Be about your business, and we will be about ours."

27. - Top - End - #297

"So just because you can control a handful of demons, and have a name, you think you have the right to enforce laws and do whatever the hell you please? You think you are important, and therefore you should be obeyed without question, regardless of how insulting, ridiculous, or personal the questions are. Hardly honorable behavior." A gateway opens about 200 ft up into the Astral Plane.

Those who see invisible creatures:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They fly through it.

Any parting remarks?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

They are leaving, sir. Silk reports.

Cowards. Kir'Hai replies.

Quite, sir. Somehow asking why there are nearby is also terrible personal to them.

And they have no respect or honor.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's it, slink away" Irin yells after them with a giggle and a shower of spittle from her frothing maw.
    Last edited by greenpotato; 2013-08-25 at 09:29 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Belerian

Belerian stood in the background silently as the others spoke with the titans, but lost interest halfway and just contented himself with conversing mentally with Dusk.

"Oh, they're gone?" he commented as the titans left. "Back to business then. So, are we all ready? We can leave now."