New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge In The Playground XLIV

Eh yikes. A little more complicated than that then. Guess I need to look over my plan and see if it needs all the levels, and any possible reasoning why it wouldn't.

Truth be told I could make a character using the SI and everything thought out in 2 days. But I don't feel like I would really have it right and would probably make a few mistakes along the way in haste. So I guess here it is better for me to take the 2 weeks to really think it out. Thanks everyone for explaining this to me!
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Disclaimer: Not everyone is a chef of Piggy Knowles' caliber. Use levels of the SI at your own discretion. That being said, I will point to T.G. Oskar's Mortimus Vozh as another great build that attained silver using only 9 levels of the SI. He well explained his reasons, though.
    That was a great example - a bold move, especially because Death Delver's capstone was so iconic, and was what almost everyone else really played up in their builds. I liked Mortimus Vozh a lot.

Here are some other builds that got medals despite not taking full levels in the SI. (And there are more, I'm sure!)
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

I did win second place with Eglath, in Temple Raider, despite taking 8/10 levels, and an incomplete skill list (ran out of time). The penalties did hurt, though, at least a little.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-04-07 at 03:47 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

I doubt we'll see many builds without 10 levels of the SI. That capstone is so...so...so actually a capstone.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Muhahaha I have enough tricks to submit two builds. This is a good ingredient, really. But I think elegance will take some knocks, at least.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, truthfully while it is a great capstone, taking all of it, I can see as bad for the build I'm working on. It takes away more than it gives, without saying too much. So either I need to accept that and go on, or I need to get a new idea.

Yeah I'm one of the kind of people who over-stresses about choices like this. I'm scared...
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't worry too much. I mean, we all get worried about this sort of thing sometimes. I'm pretty worried someone might use a similar build to mine, but the best we can do is cook on and flavor to the best of our abilities. At the end of the day, it's really about what is most faithful to the character, at least in my opinion.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2013-04-08 at 01:23 AM.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alrighty I'll try not to get too worked up. Honestly I just have fun making interesting characters. But I didn't know a thing about real optimization, or focused character building, until recent months, basically all learned from here. Played D&D a while, just all the people I was associated with never got much into all of what I learned here. Funny when you think about it. And hasn't spoiled the game for me a bit!

So, in my over excited and very really tired way, I say I hope everyone involved in this has a lot of fun. I'm certain to. Even if I still have a lot to learn from the fine people here.

And for the record: that last sentence, so absolutely true.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well, I've never entered one of these before, but it sounds fun and I've got a concept in mind. I'll get to cooking...

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

Devil

So far, all of my builds are actually just 10 level City Dweller builds with the SI added on.

Unless I can get something decent decent soonish, then I'm going to be going to pop my judging cherry.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    Truth be told I could make a character using the SI and everything thought out in 2 days. But I don't feel like I would really have it right and would probably make a few mistakes along the way in haste. So I guess here it is better for me to take the 2 weeks to really think it out.
    Someone once told me something like "always throw out your first two ideas." I don't know how true that is, since my first two ideas have done well in the past. But in the previous comp, I built and submitted 2 builds that didn't get above 11th (one was the joke build that wasn't posted), and the 3rd got gold. Point is: why not just finish building this one and start another, and see where that gets you? If I think of my first build as practice, the second is easier to make.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    yes we have. I have referred to the process as vizziniing myself
    Never go up against Shining Wrath with Iron Chef medals on the line! MWAHAHAHAHA urk! topples

13. - Top - End - #73

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Never go up against Shining Wrath with Iron Chef medals on the line! MWAHAHAHAHA urk! topples
    I knew I left my iocaine powder around here someplace.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

@Alanto Yay more new people! I'm not alone!

@rockdeworld Hmm good advice, I might just do that. I like my first idea, but not really from an optimization point of view, which is what I guess this challenge is about, so I might have to end up replacing it. But if I do, I may just mention the idea to others for opinions on how it would work as just a character on its own merits. May be a fun idea for a future campaign. ^^

@Shining Wrath and Amphetryon XD I just laughed my face off at this (somewhat). Props for first thing in the morning comedy. If I had cookies to give I would.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

I'll be cooking again this time around, unless my test dishes fall flat.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Two ideas, which one to work on first. Who am I kidding, I'll do both at the same time.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

I am starting to wonder if I will actually have any free time to work on these. Stupid college, interfering with my hobbies.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground

I hate when real life gets in the way!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm interested in competing. Definitely seems like a fun ingredient for my first time cooking.

20. - Top - End - #80

Goblin

Gonna try my hand in the Majors. Cooking a Dish

21. - Top - End - #81

Was almost ready to put my dish in the oven, rerolled my reading comprehension and passed this time, and realized that my build wasn't even close to being legal. Now I'm drawing a blank. I'll throw my hat in as a probable judge this go round.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

So, one of my builds turning out neatly. The other one is tanking Elegance and screaming YOLO. Does this happen to anyone else?

23. - Top - End - #83

Goblin

No idea honestly. This is only the second contest i have entered lol. My idea is built but im struggling with certain areas.

Like the sweetspot and background.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    So, one of my builds turning out neatly. The other one is tanking Elegance and screaming YOLO. Does this happen to anyone else?
    I'm working on two builds at the moment as well, and I'm having a similar problem with the first. I actually feel as though it'll do well on Elegance, but I'm struggling to not have them absolutely tank in power. I think I've got a solution, but it's still not looking all that hot.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callin View Post
    No idea honestly. This is only the second contest i have entered lol. My idea is built but im struggling with certain areas.

Like the sweetspot and background.
    Sweet spot is a relatively minor aspect. If you denote one of your level snapshots your sweet spot, it's fine. If nothing's feeling too strong just pick one. Background is an elusive thing. Usually enough to get a feel for what your character is like is fine. We've had backstories long enough that the build took up 2 posts, and we've had backstories of a few haiku.

@Kazyan: When I built Bjorn Ioreksen I was certain I was going to get a hit to elegance for abusing versatile spellcaster, but the power score called to me. Then I built Tacgnol, which was sacrificing Elegance for originality. The former panned out, the latter didn't. Elegance is an odd category.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2013-04-08 at 09:02 PM.
    Awards

26. - Top - End - #86

Goblin

Thanks Viscount! Makes it a bit easier now.

edit. the Snapshot. Does that mean a complete and total build. HP and items and such?
    Last edited by Callin; 2013-04-08 at 09:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callin View Post
    Thanks Viscount! Makes it a bit easier now.

edit. the Snapshot. Does that mean a complete and total build. HP and items and such?
    don't do items, or judges will penalize you for being overly reliant on equipment. (and equipment takes forever to buy) just list a few important items if you think they're necessary for a trick or something, we'll assume your character has normal stuff (item to boost primary ability mod, bag of holding, etc) hp's not necessary since we know what HD your classes have from your citations and know your con score at any given lvl
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, lots of new Chefs expressing interest this round. Welcome to you, gals and guys, I look forward to your competition!
    Last edited by sabelo2000; 2013-04-09 at 12:35 AM.
    Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.

Outlandish Claim #5:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Belkar Bitterleaf isn't "playing against type", he's just a complelely normal halfling.
    No plan survives first contact with the PCs.

29. - Top - End - #89

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    don't do items, or judges will penalize you for being overly reliant on equipment. (and equipment takes forever to buy) just list a few important items if you think they're necessary for a trick or something, we'll assume your character has normal stuff (item to boost primary ability mod, bag of holding, etc) hp's not necessary since we know what HD your classes have from your citations and know your con score at any given lvl
    Addendum: If it is important that your Character uses a particular weapon/magic item, or you simply wish to highlight how a particular item would enhance your Character's abilities or options, you should probably list it, in an "options" section if nowhere else. Otherwise, a judge may not notice a particular synergy or trick that becomes self-evident when that item is available. Likewise, if you're building a particularly hardy Character - or a particularly frail one who avoids direct combat and contributes in other ways - a passing indication of expected HP range at one or more given level(s) can potentially help a judge understand your Character's role.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Banned

Devil

Right, I've got my build. Think I'm going to go ahead with it.