Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1517
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    THE AGE OF WORMS HAS BEGUN!

    Since the beginning of history, humanity has measured time in Ages. Ages of Glory, of Dreams, and even of Great Sorrows mark the human tally of years, giving a sense of order to the events of past centuries. But one age has yet to occur - an age of darkness, of decay, and of writhing doom. Witty bards and wrathful preachers know it as the Age of Worms, weaving it into the peripheries of their passion plays as a mythic era of destruction that could begin at any time. Astrologers, diviners, and the servants of Fate know more. The canniest among them fear that the Age of Worms has already begun.


    Overview of Daggerford

    Spoiler
    Show
    The community of Daggerford is a walled village of stone buildings and a small castle. It sits strategically on the shore of the River Delimbiyr, keeping the Trade Way open for merchants travelling between the nearby City of Splendors, Waterdeep and other communities to the south and east. Most residents of Daggerford can be categorised into two groups: those with nowhere else to turn, and those who have come to exploit them. It is a rough place home to human miners, farmers and craftsmen. A number of halflings, and a handful of folk of other races also dwell in the village. There are a number of isolated farms and estates in the surrounding area. The gnomish warren of Grossetgrottel and the dwarven stronghold of Greysmere are both in the vicinity and actively trade with Daggerford.


    Daggerford Environs

    Spoiler
    Show
    Daggerford sits about 120 miles south-east of Waterdeep and is about 40 miles from the Sword Coast. Ardeep Forest sits to the north-west and the Misty Forest to the south-west. Both have populations of elves present, although they tend to keep to themselves.
    Further south-east along the Trade Way, past the Misty Forest sits Dragonspear Castle. This former stronghold of devilish creatures is now manned by a small garrison of Tempus-worshippers who guard travellers against the goblinoids inhabiting the High Moor. Also to the south near Dragonspear Castle lies the Trollbark Forest, an area thick with trolls.
    Closer to Daggerford, where the River Delimbiyr approaches the Sword Coast and turns into a maze of waterways, lies Lizard Marsh. This area is home to numerous tribes of lizard men, and to a lesser extent dinosaurs and black dragons.


    Map

    Spoiler
    Show


    Recent History
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nearly two years ago, unknown assassins poisoned the Duke of Daggerford and his entire family, leaving the duchy without an heir. Soon thereafter, the Town Council met and elected Lanod Ondabar of Irieabor, the little-known brother of the well-respected Delfen “Yellowknife” Ondabar as Governor-Mayor. Delfen is well known as “the smartest man in town” and provides his services as a sage.

    Rumors suggest that the Town Council settled on Lanod Ondabar as a compromise candidate and lesser evil in lieu of Balabar Smenk, a disreputable mining magnate. As Governor-General, Lanod quickly appointed his old associate Cubbin, as sheriff and began selling political favors from the former duke’s castle to the highest bidder. In less than 24 months, the once-proud town of Daggerford has become synonymous with vice and exploitation, to the frustration of Sherlen Spearslayer (the local militia commander). Long-established businesses have been sold, their owners forced out by “new investors” allied with Lanod and Cubbin. In conscious imitation of the Lords of Waterdeep, the identities of the 23-member Town Council of Daggerford are nominally secret except to each other, but everyone knows the roster includes the town’s guild¬masters and most prominent clerics.


    The Adventure

    Daggerford

    1st of Kythorn, 1374 DR

    Idle chatter around the village has alerted you to a trio of richly dressed newcomers who frequent the taproom of the Happy Cow, Daggerford’s most notorious tavern. The confident heroes of the City of Splendors bragged of hard-won battles on their journey to Daggerford, and of their intention to explore the long abandoned Stirgenest Cairn in the nearby hills. You, being residents of Daggerford, know that cairn is often explored by the community’s youth, who always find it completely empty of marvels and perfectly harmless.

    Not so another cairn about a day’s walk from the village. This cairn lies near an iron mine that went dry about 50 years ago. The mine’s charter lapsed when its manager died a few years later. Situated in a sort of no-man’s land, the cairn was all but forgotten, its yawning entrance overgrown with weeds and choked with debris. Rediscovered by a curious teenager a decade ago, the cairn has since been a sort of community secret held by Daggerford’s youth, who dare each other to disappear into its cyclopean entrance to prove their bravery.

    Occasionally, when the wind is just right, haunting, almost magical tones emerge from the depths of the forlorn tomb. Those who know of its location call it the Whispering Cairn. If adventurers from Waterdeep expect to discover hidden passages and riches within the Stirgenest Cairn, it stands to reason that the Whispering Cairn might also hold a genuine opportunity for profit. In the rough-and-tumble village of Daggerford, an opportunity for profit is an opportunity to escape.

    For one reason or another you have all spent the evening at Zalamandra's Emporium, a tavern/ vice den/ gambling hall/ freak show frequented by the hard-living miners of Daggerford. Whether there to drink, eavesdrop, work, sightsee, or simply to wager on rats and tiny spear-wielding jermlaine fight it out in a table-top maze, you have got together and decided that you will give it a shot...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay – time for everyone to check in, equip yourselves with any special equipment that you might want (let me know any purchases that you make), take any other actions that you might want to, and we can then swiftly head off to the beginning of the adventure.


    => Party
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-08-25 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Better intro

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NovaZulu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    'Ah fellows, I feel certain that the comming expidition will leave us fast friends on our way to fortune and fame ... or dead' says Revell Jypch, 'Either of which is universally acknowledged as preferable to an extended stay in Daggerford.'

    Revell busies himself around Zalamandra's using bon hommie, minor illusions and bawdy poetry to entertain the patrons and find what info he can about Whispering Cairn and the abandoned Iron Mine.

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

    Checking to see if Rev knows anything useful about Whispering Cairn + Iron Mine and Strigenest Cairn (esp monsters, traps, secrets, curses etc)

    Whis + Iron Mine
    Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): [roll]1d20+6[/roll]
    Knowledge (Religion): [roll]1d20+6[/roll]

    Strigenest
    Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): [roll]1d20+6[/roll]
    Knowledge (Religion): [roll]1d20+6[/roll]

    Checking with Zalamandis patrons to see if any info available on Whispering + Mines

    Gather Info: [roll]1d20+7[/roll]

    Also purchasing a bottle of wine and some bread and cheese for the walk up to the cairn.

    Last edited by NovaZulu; 2013-04-07 at 01:04 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NovaZulu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show


    This time with working rolls maybe :(

    Whis + Iron Mine
    Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): (1d20+6)[25]
    Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+6)[9]

    Strigenest
    Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): (1d20+6)[16]
    Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+6)[25]

    Checking with Zalamandis patrons to see if any info available on Whispering + Mines

    Gather Info: (1d20+7)[14]

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    'Well, if we're going to be dead tomorrow, I'm going to get drunk tonight.'

    Vandill sits at a table where he can keep his back to a wall, tries to ignore the local miners, and drinks his way through a steady progression of cheap foul pints. By the end of the evening he can barely walk straight, and staggers upstairs to sleep it off in a decidedly flea-ridden room.

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

    Don't know how you're going to play drunkenness, but here's a con roll in case you want one -
    Stay relatively sober : (con) (1d20+2)[3]

    Take advantage of apparent drunkenness to eavesdrop on locals for anything interesting: (gather info) (1d20-2)[15]

    And in case you want to throw a brawl my way, here's a roll to try and avoid it : (diplomacy) (1d20+0)[5]

    As usual with monks, I have plenty of money left over, so just let me know how much I can reasonably burn through in a nights drinking cheap nasty booze in daggerford.
    I'll stock up with three skins of wine and some generic trail rations, plus a couple of fresh torches since we're going underground.

    ETA: haha, "apparent" drunkenness may have been a little optimistic with those rolls.
    Last edited by laughing_boy; 2013-04-08 at 02:17 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Flimflam is perched on a bar stool overlooking the jermlaine and rat bouts, making casual wagers with the miners, who have been trying to get him to test "that great ruddy bastard rat o' his" in the maze for some weeks now.

    In between bouts, Flimflam tries to steer the conversation with the miners towards the old iron mine and cairn.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information - Iron Mine (1d20+2)[8]
    Gather Information - Cairn (1d20+2)[5]

    I'll grab a couple of days worth of rations too, but otherwise I'm good I think

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Rev, you know kinda where the Whispering Cairn & the old iron mine are, having stumbled enjoyably (& recklessly) around the surrounding countryside one evening looking for alchemical herbs with your sometime drinking companion Benazel the Alchemist. You recall a teenager did go missing up that way while "daring the cairn" several years ago.

    While you weren't really paying attention at the time, the half-elf is here in the establishment tonight & drunkenly sketches out a map on the back of a wine-stained napkin.

    You recall that Benazel pointed out the distant ridge that they were on, about 8 hours hike out of town (you didn't make it quite that far before you ran out of alcohol and had to head back). The cairn and the mine were about 10 minutes apart from each other. There was an abandoned mine office visible that Benazel said he sometimes takes a rest in when out that way.

    Rev, you also believe that the Stirgenest Cairn is, as mentioned, a red herring. Kids head out there periodically, and you're sure it's not worth the effort.

    Vandill, you get stuck into the booze in a big way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Intoxication rules are in the Arms & Equipment Guide, but I don't think we need to worry about it here
    You almost get into a fight with one of the over-confident braggart adventurers from Waterdeep. A big blond man with a flashy trophy belt keeps claiming loudly that he's "Auric, Champion of the Fields of Triumph, here to plunder Stirgenest Cairn and show you all how a real hero operates" to anyone nearby. At one point you "accidentally" spill your drink on him and have to be physically separated by Kurlag, the half-ogre bouncer.

    You (Vandill) do have a chat to a heavily intoxicated miner who seems to want to share his interesting news "Somebody’s moved into the Old Observatory. I saw a crew of Balabar Smenk’s boys hauling all kinds of unusual contraptions and gear from a carriage parked outside the building. Heavy cloth sheets covered just about everything, but I could have sworn that some of the things they unloaded were huge glass tanks.". He throws up & is kicked out.

    Flimflam, you get preoccupied with your gambling and come out even after losing a few hours...

    Thoradin, you talk to the miners about the various grades of iron ore, like only a dwarf can (yawn!)...

    2nd of Kythorn, 1374 DR

    Next morning you all groggily wake up, get your kit together, provision yourselves and tramp off toward the Whispering Cairn. Toward midday a spring shower sets in, considerably dampening your moods. By the time you reach the site at dusk the rain has cleared and the hills are buzzing with insects. You spot the dilapidated mine office ahead of you on the the gentle slope of the hill. The boarded up mine is within sight, and the Whispering Cairn must be a small walk away.

    You cautiously poke around the office, which appears to be little more than a ramshackle hut. It would make a reasonable place to set up camp for the night. The abandoned mine likewise appears unexceptional, and in fact looks to have collapsed not too far in past the boarded-up entrance.

    A quick sortie locates the entrance to the Whispering Cairn nearby. It is a yawning (20ft x 20ft) monolith-lined opening partially obscured by rocks and undergrowth. The area around the entrance-way will provide quite rough footing (counts as difficult terrain).

    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, sorry for the essay and for the railroading. All in the interests of moving us all along to the start of the adventure. Last chance to buy anything (remember food - it's a days hike each way) or do any other prep.


    What would you like to do next?
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-08-25 at 04:12 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NovaZulu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Revell looks wistfully at the open mouth of the Cairn. 'Comrades, if you knew me only a little better you would know that I favor exploration of creepy cairns by moonlight ... that being when interesting incidents most regularly occur.'

    He pauses for a few seconds considering and then with a broad smile says 'And in fact upon reflection I find that I may still be quite easily persuaded of the wisdom of that course if such is the common will.

    'However I would ask each of you to first consider whether we risk missing possibly the most noteworthy phenomenon associated with this location, it's titular feature ... the whispering of the cairn. I for one would be deeply embarrassed to explore this local legend, discover its secrets and defeat its denizens, then return to town only to be asked ... "so what was all that whispering then?" and find I had no answer to hand.

    'So I wonder if it would not be preferable to make camp here tonight and to listen for what the Cairn whispers the better to furnish our tale with intrigue later?'

    He turns ... heading toward the entrance of the Cairn to do an external examination and calling back over his shoulder 'I leave it to your better judgment'

    Spoiler
    Show


    Apols for long trying to get all prep in one post so we can move into the dungeon :D

    External Examination:

    Assuming nothing interesting/show stopping occurs at each stage then as follows

    1. Whittaker gets down and follows on foot in Rev's square.

    2. Cast on self (shared with Whittaker) Mage Armour +4 Armour bonus to ac 1 hour ... AC Rev 14/10/14, AC Whit: 19/12/17

    3. Cast on a picked up stone Light, 10 mins 20' rad torchlight +20' dim illumination. Let me know if Rev needs to recast to cover actions below.

    4. Walk up to 20 foot distance from entrance

    5. Spot and Listen for anything interesting (couple of rolls below) ... markings covered by undergrowth, obvious tracks etc. Whittaker sniffs the air :D
    Spot1: (1d20+1)[11]
    Spot2: (1d20+1)[19]
    Listen1: (1d20+1)[2]
    Listen2: (1d20+1)[21]

    6. Cast Detect Magic, 1 min ... focus on entrance and surrondings looking for magic traps, arcane marks, curses or residue of recent magic. If rev sees something magical spend the rounds focusing on it to determine distinct sources and types.
    Spellcraft1: (1d20+3)[12]
    Spellcraft2: (1d20+3)[4]

    7. Move up to the entrance itself and search the area for traps
    Search1: (1d20+2)[15]
    Search2: (1d20+2)[10]
    If Rev finds a trap he's not going to try to disarm it ... just note its location and how it works.

    8. Peer into entrance to see 40 ft in ... but don't go in :D

    9. Withdraw from entrance, Whit remounts Rev

    Camping:

    If the party decides to camp rather than going straight in then figure Rev and Flimflam should take first and last watches for rest required/memorization. Rev don't mind which he gets ... however he is very keen to hear the 'Whispering' and would like to be woken by whoever is on watch for that.

    Assuming we camp in the Office and no-one has yet done so Rev will do a quick search of the Overseers Office looking for anything interesting but particularly alcohol and/or food
    Search1: (1d20+1)[3]
    Search2: (1d20+1)[15]

    In the morning style a particularly fabulous hairdo and Rev is ready to follow the party into the Cairn :D



    Edits for grammar
    Last edited by NovaZulu; 2013-04-07 at 10:59 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Vandill raises an eyebrow at Revell's lengthy monologue, grunts noncommittally, then rubs his temples and winces slightly.

    Having a quick glance around and pulling the hood of his robe further down over his eyes to block the glare of the setting sun over the forest in the distance, he strolls into the office to have a bit of a poke around.

    After a few minutes, he calls out "Well this isn't whispering, or interesting, so we might as well go into the cairn if you fancy casters haven't used up all your spells preventing sunburn on the way here."

    Vandill joins Revell outside the cairn, leaning against the rockface just to the side of the entrance and sinking into the shadows to ease his hangover.


    Spoiler
    Show

    OOC
    Going to use sea green for vandills speech, being a reaver born and all.

    Quick look around outside for anything dodgy:
    Spot [roll0]
    Listen [roll1]

    Longer look inside the office:
    Spot [roll2]
    Listen [roll3]
    Search [roll4]

    And skulk outside the entrance to the cairn just in case:
    Hide [roll5]

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC
    *sigh*
    trying again after the post got held due to posting in another forum, and naturally broke the rolls.

    Spot (1d20+3)[18]
    Listen (1d20+3)[5]

    Spot (1d20+3)[11]
    Listen (1d20+3)[15]
    Search (1d20-1)[8]

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    With apologies again for moving it along


    Vandill, you find nothing of interest in the office & join Revell outside the cairn, sheltering behind a large rock.

    Revell, you successfully cast both Mage Armour on yourself (& Whittaker) and Light on a small stone. Detect Magic reveals nothing of interest within range.

    Near the entrance your search reveals the footprint of some sort of wild animal, you would guess a wolf or wild dog. Whittaker does not seem unduly concerned at the moment.

    Peering into the cairn you see a hallway extending into the darkness. A faint breeze outside brings sibilant whispers from within the cairn that sound almost like a sighing breath. It must be a trick of the wind, but the effect is almost lifelike.

    You all regroup a short distance away from the entrance.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Flimflam scuttles about the abandoned office giving the area a thorough look through before he's willing to move on.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Flimflam casts Detect Magic from the doorway of the office so the cone sweeps the entire room.
    Search (1d20+8)[28]


    Brushing dust off his clothing, he emerges from the office and trots over towards the cairn, prattling mostly to himself about possible explanations for the whispering. He carefully examines the monoliths for any inscriptions and takes advantage of Revell's Light spell take a look down the entrance of the cave.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - cairn mouth (1d20+5)[14]
    Search - Monoliths (1d20+8)[24] and Decipher Script of (1d20+8)[10] if he finds anything there
    Search - area around cairn mouth (1d20+8)[20]

    Assuming the party chooses to camp outside, Flimflam will circle the surrounding area shortly after dusk and due to his total lack of any outdoors skills, will rely purely on luck ((1d100)[92] vs Luck of 44) to see if he can find any local burrowing fauna. If he can find a bunny or a badger or something, he will use his Speak with Burrowing Animals 1/day to ask if they've seen any big folk in the area recently.


    Satisfied with his investigations, Flimflam returns to the area outside the cairn and volunteers for first watch.

    When Revell points out the paw print outside the cave, Flimflam waves Chesdale at the print with an air of expectation. Chesdale huffs indignantly and drops down onto the ground to give it a whiff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chesdale's scent roll [roll]1d20+1[/roll]
    Last edited by Strudel; 2013-04-08 at 04:24 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Stupid roll system. Let's try that again - scent roll of (1d20+1)[15] to recognise the smell
    Last edited by Strudel; 2013-04-08 at 04:26 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NovaZulu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    While waiting for Thoradin, Revell adopts a thoughtful pose. After a few minutes he asks no-one in particular,

    'You know this thing with the Old Observatory and Smenk's crew and the tanks is a strange bit of business don't you think?'

    He carries on quietly over the next 10 minutes almost to himself, or possibly Whittaker ... or maybe the collar of his coat?

    'What's the advantage of an Old Observatory? Access to the sky quite obviously, lenses for the concentration of light perhaps, an elevated vantage point above the town?'
    'And who would fill one with contraptions? Well a gnome clearly ... or at the least a gnome-like individual, a wizard, a gnome wizard, (clearly not Flimflam but a relative?) experimenting certainly, inventing ... with tanks'
    'Tanks for what ... fish farm? Foolish, insufficient volume. Filled with electric eels as power source? Not improbable. Lethal gas containment and experimentation? That close to a population center? The mind boggles!'
    'Glass tanks ... expensive, well funded ... carriage note, not a cart or wagon, well funded but working in Daggerford, therefore working in secret.'
    'And Smenk ... Smenk indeed! Corrupt and perfidious in the extreme, not for the good of all no doubt, no doubt about that at all.'

    After pausing to receive advice from his mysterious interlocutor Revell announces abruptly to the rest of the group,

    'I quite agree, worth investigating Smenk's mysterious gnome wizard in the Old Observatory when we get back to Daggerford my friends. If he has a mishap with either those eels or that lethal gas it could pose a serious threat to the townsfolk.'

    He ends with a dazzling smile, leaving one in no doubt that he is in complete earnest and neither ignorant of nor displeased with the fact he may sound like a nut.

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): (1d20+6)[8] to see if Rev knows anything about the history or condition of the Old Observatory or what it might be used for now. Feel free to answer when/where in the narrative this might be convenient Ghostfoot ... Rev ruminates.

    In the meantime Revell is keen to follow Vandill's stalwart lead into Whispering Cairn without delay since he has now heard the whispers. The less time the party gives that confounded gnome to experiment the better in his opinion.

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

    I would suggest we proceed in unless Mo or Strudel want to throw out a veto :D

    Rev will follow in 3rd place if possible with at least one empty 5 ft square to second place. :D Whit will dismount and walk in Rev's square ... the better to dodge fireballs and such.

    last...|Rev/Whit|-|2nd|...first

    In case someone does veto and we camp Rev will take last watch since Flimflam has first and do the above in the morning/whenever we enter.
    Last edited by NovaZulu; 2013-04-08 at 05:38 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    If my higher search roles don't turn up anything then I'm all for wandering inside for a good poke around. Chesdale rides shotgun on my shoulder

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mo_the_Hawked's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MI
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Thoradin

    Hustling as fast as stubby dwarven legs can carry him Thoradin catches up with the group.

    Thoradin straps in his shield and takes a firm grip of his warhammer. He then turns to the group and asks, "Well shall we claim our great treasures and fame?'

    With that he hunkers behind his shield and pushes his way inside the cairn.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Flimflam, your Detect Magic turns up nothing in the old office and your examination of the monolithic entranceway uncovers nothing further. You see no bunnies sitting around waiting to be interrogated.

    Chesdale sniffs the pawprint and reacts with faint agitation as you might expect from sniffing the print of a larger predator. You also feel the associated feelings of nervousness that the little critter is experiencing.

    With that you all make your way inside...

    Spoiler
    Show


    Inside, the walls bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric patterns at (human) waist level. In places, the bands reveal startling detail, but in others the walls look as if they have been hacked apart with weapons or eroded by the rigours of time. Flakes of ancient paint, brilliant purple and a dull mustard hue, still cling to the walls in places, hinting at what once must have been a riot of colour. A thin coat of dust covers the floor.

    Outside, the wind picks up, and a chorus of almost human sounds rises from the darkened hall.

    Thoradin,
    Spoiler
    Show
    You note that the patterned bands on the walls conceal thin hollow tubes hidden in the patternwork. The whispering noises seem to be coming from the movement of air through these tubes.


    Just inside the darkened entrance way you see the hallway branch to the east and west.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    "Adventurers always go left!"

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NovaZulu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Revell Jypch

    Revell casts a careful eye over the purple/mustard palette and the geometric mosaic. All right if you go in for that sort of thing. To be honest geometric mosaic probably appeals to a more dwarfy artistic sensibility.

    'It is such a shame that cultures don't better provision for the preservation of their artworks after their demise.' Revell whispers.

    'Clearly not one of those lot that went in for the rending of the weeds and the chol though. With the colors and the whole tomb singing you might almost imagine them dancing in here.'

    OCC
    Spoiler
    Show

    Bunch of rolls not sure if you will need none/some/all so are there just in case. Ignore if irrelevant plox

    To see if Rev can identify the culture, religion or god the Cairn belongs to and any salient facts about them and their Cairns
    Knowledge (Religion): XXXX
    Knowledge (History): XXXX
    Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): XXXX

    EDIT: Also is the ceiling 20' or has got lower since entrance?
    Last edited by NovaZulu; 2013-04-09 at 04:53 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NovaZulu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

    SOAB

    Bunch of rolls not sure if you will need none/some/all so are there just in case. Ignore if irrelevant plox

    To see if Rev can identify the culture, religion or god the Cairn belongs to and any salient facts about them and their Cairns
    Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+6)[8]
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+6)[20]
    Knowledge (Local Waterdeep): (1d20+6)[22]

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take that as an instruction to act..and so onward!...and Nova I just saw your new post - no, no epiphanies come to light for any of you.


    Here the walls bear the most significant damage. Dozens of clumsy etchings mar the beautiful ancient masonry like graffiti on a city wall. A bundle of rags or clothing lies at the end of the western alcove.

    Spoiler
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NovaZulu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Revel Jypch

    'It appears it was here that the Daggerford daredevils made their mischief. I fear that pile may be all that remains of one of them.'

    Thinking there may be some item or trinket that could bring closure to a grieving family back in Daggerford Revell steels himself and creeps over to the pile of rags.

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

    Revell will wander over and poke the pile of rags with his toe before committing to a full search (1d20+2)[9] assuming someone else hasn't already done so.

    Also soz repeated from above ceiling hight is 20' foot yes?

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Search roll of (1d20+8)[19] to make sure Revell's not about to get his face ripped off by a trap

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Flimflam hurriedly inspects the area for traps before Rev disturbs anything too much. Satisfied that there is nothing dangerous here, the two of you turn your attention to the bundle. It turns out to be an old bedroll, cracked and brittle from many years of neglect. It's wrapped around 6 old but serviceable flasks of lamp oil.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure how you want to deal with allocating out loot?


    Vandill, while the two arcanists are searching the bundle you notice a faint flickering green light far in the distance to the north. You nudge Thoradin and he sees it flicker as well.

    As you are trying to make out the source of the flickering you hear the sound of padded feet running toward you out of the darkness, accompanied by a vicious-sounding growling and snarling...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative...

    Thoradin (1d20-3)[5]
    Vandil (1d20+6)[13]l
    Revell (1d20)[16]+(1d6)[4] incl Action Point
    Whittaker (1d20+2)[22] (fleeing)
    Flimflam (1d20+2)[18]
    Chesdale (1d20+2)[13] (staying in pouch)

    Curious to see how this first combat goes!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:

    22 Whittaker(fleeing/ hiding)
    20 Wolf1
    20 Revell
    18 Flimflam
    13 Chesdale(staying in pouch)
    13 Vandill
    12 Wolf2
    11 Wolf3
    5 Thoradin


    Whittaker hears the sound of predators and leaps down and hides under the bedroll (square BM9).

    A vicious wolf comes loping out of the tunnel ahead of you, snapping and snarling. You can hear others behind it.

    Map

    Spoiler
    Show


    => Revell, you're up (others can talk as a free action out of turn)
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-04-09 at 11:55 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NovaZulu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Revell Jypch

    As Whittaker scurries to hide Revell hears the wolves approaching and strides over to take a look.

    'Slavering hounds is it ... very well then'

    Sizing up the situation he waits for just the right moment to begin what he expects to be the decisive incantation.

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

    Think Rev can do the following ... aiming to sync initiative with the wolves so they group up before he sleeps them.

    Move Action: to BN14 (BM11,BM12,BM13,BN14 =20ft)
    Free Action: Drop the light stone and speak
    Delay/Hold action to initiative count 11 (=to wolf3)
    Standard Action: Start Full round action, cast Sleep centered so as to get as many wolves as possible

    So in round 2 Rev will be at initiative 11 and be able to take a standard action to complete the Sleep spell so it takes immediate effect (assuming he has not been eaten by then).

    If nec Rev will delay all actions to count 11 (if he can't split the actions as above).

    Hide check (1d20+11)[12] for Whit if needed

    EDIT: Oh dear ... looks like whit forgot how to hide


    =>Flimflam
    Last edited by NovaZulu; 2013-04-10 at 03:21 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Flimflam spins around from the bedroll and dashes forward (BN13), raising his crossbow. (I should have clear line of sight from there?)

    There's a sharp twang as he fires his first ever shot at a living target.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll: (1d20+3)[19] and if it hits, (1d6)[1] damage

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaZulu View Post
    Think Rev can do the following ...If nec Rev will delay all actions to count 11 (if he can't split the actions as above).
    Sorry, it's all or nothing with delay. Rev's initiative resets to 11.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strudel View Post
    Flimflam ... dashes forward (BN13), raising his crossbow...fires his first ever shot.
    I'll let you have it this time (especially since it's an amazing 1 damage!), but there are a few problems with this sequence. You get 1 standard action and 1 move action per round. You are trying to move (move action), draw a weapon (move action for you with BAB +0), load a crossbow (move action) and attack (standard).

    The line of sight is fine. You pick a corner of your square & a corner of the defenders square. If there is a clear line you can attack. The defender gets to pick a different corner. If this second line is obstructed then they get cover. This wolf gets no cover.


    Flimflam dashes forward and gets off a glancing blow at the fast approaching beast...

    Ches stays put.

    => Vandill

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Vandill dodges nimbly past the idle dwarf to close with the approaching wolf, putting his best foot forward...

    and into the wolfs face.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Charge through Thoradin's square to BF15
    Unarmed(+4),Charge(+2) (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage if it hits (1d6+3)[7]

    Last edited by laughing_boy; 2013-04-11 at 02:42 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Vandill lands a solid kick on the rabid animal as it leaps forward.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by laughing_boy View Post
    Charge through Thoradin's square
    Note that you need an unobstructed path for a charge - not that it mattered here. You hit anyway and had plenty of movement to make a single move up.

    Two more of the beasts come bounding out of the darkness and surround Van.

    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Initiative Chart
    {table=head]Character | Initiative
    Whittaker(fleeing/ hiding) | 22
    Wolf1 | 20
    Flimflam | 18
    Chesdale(staying in pouch) | 13
    Vandill | 13
    Wolf2 | 12
    Wolf3 | 11
    Revell | 11
    Thoradin | 5
    [/table]
    [/table]
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-04-11 at 06:41 AM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NZ

    Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Nova I will take the liberty of posting your declared/ delayed action for you, hope that's okay.


    Rev moves up & casts Sleep at the closest wolves.

    Wolf 2 Save vs DC14 (1d20+1)[19]
    Wolf 3 Save vs DC14 (1d20+1)[13]

    The wolf in square BF14 falls into a deep slumber

    Map
    Spoiler
    Show


    => Thoradin
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-04-11 at 06:41 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •