New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D in M&M-- a new approach to rebalancing 3.5/PF

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    @Svata- <high-five>

[*]The thing is that you're messing around with the core balancing element of the system, for-- as far as I can tell-- very limited reward. If the numbers at PL 1 don't feel right for a heroic character, don't start at PL 1. Not sure what you mean by "without LA they are quite hard to escape."[*]I'd leave Speed alone, truth be told-- being able to have high-speed travel through spells and such is useful, and it would mess up some of the relationships on the chart. Strength is the most worrying, given how fast you get to superhuman weight capacities... but even that, I think, would be OK in a non-gritty game.[*]I don't think you can make M&M a very tactical game unless you rewrite it to the point that it's actually another system. High movement speeds are the least of your problems. If you want tactical combat, play D&D. If you want cinematic, play M&M.
    In regards to my comment about LA: there are maximums (caps) for ability scores, BAB, damage output, DCs, etc. for low level characters in D&D- there's only so high one can go. With templates and races with LA you can bypass that cap and have stats much higher than otherwise possible- with the trade-off of lower core attributes (BAB, HD, Skills, etc).

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cameronpants View Post
    In regards to my comment about LA: there are maximums (caps) for ability scores, BAB, damage output, DCs, etc. for low level characters in D&D- there's only so high one can go. With templates and races with LA you can bypass that cap and have stats much higher than otherwise possible- with the trade-off of lower core attributes (BAB, HD, Skills, etc).
    Yeah, OK, I think I kind of see that. I'm afraid that I still don't see any virtue in messing around with the PL caps. If the numbers at PL 1 feel too low, don't start at PL 1. You're not supposed to start at PL 1-- that's level 1 commoner level.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
    Of this talk about tactical and cinematic story/gameplay, I was wondering Grod, how cinematic could M&M be for D&D-style games compared to systems such as D&D itself, GURPS, FATE, etc?
    I would think more cinematic than D&D, which tends to be very tactical and detailed instead. FATE... probably depends a lot on your group. My biggest issue with FATE and cinematics is that you have to spend resources to interact with the environment in a significant way, which is something of a disincentive.

Speaking of which, would it be feasible for any sort of D&D race to have super-strength of some kind via M&M? I'm mostly referring to really big races such as giants or titans.
    The Ranks and Measures table says that it's inevitable. Anything above Strength 3 (800 pounds with extra effort) is beyond even 80s action movie heroes.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't given much thought to this amazing piece of work lately. I hope this isn't considered thread necro (being over a month old), but I threw together modified charts for a Dungeons & Masterminds game.

It doesn't work the same way it did in Mutants and Masterminds (Add the Time + Distance rank to determine how far you went, etc), but it should scale things back enough to enjoy.

Str chart is based entirely on the chart from Pathfinder. Everything else is derived from my own mind crossed with M&M 3rd edition.

Things do fall apart when a spellcaster casts a spell with a rank higher than 14 (Spells lasting longer than 24 hours is always a headache). Though, I guess with a houserule that no spell can last more than 24 hours without Permanency-like effect could work. Like, dawn erases magic from the land that isn't bound down with binding circles or glyphs or somesuch.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show

I just had a neat idea. Know how characters can trade-off DC vs Attack, Save vs Dodge kind of thing? I think it'd be cool if a spell could do something similar. Have a Telekinesis-like effect, rank 1. Reduce the mass it can carry by 6 and increase its Range by 6. Suddenly, you have Mage Hand with a range of 160ft.
    Last edited by cameronpants; 2013-07-25 at 03:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Link doesn't seem to work-- I see "Chart.xlsx - Google Drive," but there's no content.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

May embed them as images....?
    Last edited by cameronpants; 2013-08-09 at 08:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

May embed them as images....?
    That didn't work either, but now the original link seems OK.

Your mass scaling looks kind of strange. What rule were you using to calculate it? (Also, I don't know that the Action and Duration tables are necessary, or even relevant, given how M&M works.)
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2013-08-09 at 09:16 AM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

That didn't work either, but now the original link seems OK.

Your mass scaling looks kind of strange. What rule were you using to calculate it? (Also, I don't know that the Action and Duration tables are necessary, or even relevant, given how M&M works.)
    They were for my benefit, when I was toying with the 'trade off' ranks of a power idea. Having a rank at -2 for duration needed something more specific than '2 seconds' for game terms.

Mass scaling is pretty much the weights from D&D. Doubling every 2.5 increases.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

They were for my benefit, when I was toying with the 'trade off' ranks of a power idea. Having a rank at -2 for duration needed something more specific than '2 seconds' for game terms.

Mass scaling is pretty much the weights from D&D. Doubling every 2.5 increases.
    Ah. I was thinking more along the lines of "100lb, +100 lb for every rank of Strength," or something like that, but I guess your way works.

As for the first... well, you'd need to significantly change how duration works in M&M. As-is, there are only four durations: instant, concentration, sustained (as long as you take a free action to keep it active), and permanent. Given the fact that effects are at-will, any "duration" of more than a few rounds is pretty meaningless, anyway.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. I was thinking more along the lines of "100lb, +100 lb for every rank of Strength," or something like that, but I guess your way works.

As for the first... well, you'd need to significantly change how duration works in M&M. As-is, there are only four durations: instant, concentration, sustained (as long as you take a free action to keep it active), and permanent. Given the fact that effects are at-will, any "duration" of more than a few rounds is pretty meaningless, anyway.
    Good point. I was toying with creating 1/day abilities with durations, but got rather stuck. The idea was that a PC could have fewer at wills or plentiful per days.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Good point. I was toying with creating 1/day abilities with durations, but got rather stuck. The idea was that a PC could have fewer at wills or plentiful per days.
    You can get something vaguely along those lines with Unreliable-- there's an option for 5 uses before you have to recharge, or 1 if you apply the flaw twice.

I've also toyed with the idea that you can take some flaws (Tiring, Side Effect, etc) without decreasing the cost of the power-- instead, you get to use it at +1 PL. If you combine that with double Unreliable, you get a big powerful 1/day ability.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

You can get something vaguely along those lines with Unreliable-- there's an option for 5 uses before you have to recharge, or 1 if you apply the flaw twice.

I've also toyed with the idea that you can take some flaws (Tiring, Side Effect, etc) without decreasing the cost of the power-- instead, you get to use it at +1 PL. If you combine that with double Unreliable, you get a big powerful 1/day ability.
    I like it. It works really well, actually. I was also thinking about extra effort and fixed bonuses from it functioning like metamagic. Might be neat.

Also, I really want to run a PbP gane using this material. If I do, I will link this thread, and it is possible you'll get some more requests. Is that kosher?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I really want to run a PbP gane using this material. If I do, I will link this thread, and it is possible you'll get some more requests. Is that kosher?
    Why do we homebrew, if not so that someone will use it? Go with my blessings.

(Also, requests are fun)
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2013-09-01 at 09:33 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

I like the new table for weight/mass scaling. A perfect mix of D&D and M&M.

EDIT: What is the 'Time' column for??
    Last edited by Zireael; 2013-09-20 at 09:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zireael View Post
    I like the new table for weight/mass scaling. A perfect mix of D&D and M&M.

EDIT: What is the 'Time' column for??
    Time and Action were from me toying around with durations to get away from M&M's Concentration/Sustained/Continual system. Didn't yield any positive results, however.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

It turns out that the new table code uses up way more characters than the old one did. I've returned this to legibility, but I've had to shuffle things around, and there wasn't room for all of the requests on the first page.

Removed request items:

For TheWombatOfDoom:
    Centaur- 19 points
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Modifiers
    • Agility +2
    • Stamina +2
    • Intellect -1

Skill Ranks
    None

Powers
    • Growth 4 (Permanent, Innate)
    • Speed 4
    • Senses 1 (Darkvision)

Tiefling- 23 points (v1) or 11 points (v2)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Modifiers
    • +1 Agility
    • +1 Intellect
    • -1 Presence

Skill Ranks
    • +4 Deception
    • +4 Stealth

Powers v1
    • Senses 1 (Darkvision)
    • Darkness- Concealment 4 (all visual), Attack, Ranged, Area Burst

Powers v2
    • Senses 1 (Darkvision)
    • Environment 2 (Visibility 2) 4 points

Half-Dragon- 32 points + 2 points/rank of breath weapon
    Note: Feel free to increase the ranks of the Scales, Claws, and Flight powers
    Spoiler
    Show

Power Effect Cost
    Ability Modifications Strength +4, Stamina +1, Intellect +1, Presence +1 14 points
    Scales Protection 2, Obvious 1 point
    Claws Strength-based Damage 2, Obvious 2 points
    Breath Weapon Damage X, Area (cone or line) 2 points/rank
    Wings Fly 2, Wings 2 points
    Senses Senses 2 (Darkvision, low-light vision) 2 points
    Immunities Immunity 10 (sleep, paralysis, one type of energy damage) 10 points

For Eldan, again:
    Half-Fiend- 42 points, +1/rank of Toughness, + cost of spell-like abilities
    Spoiler
    Show

Power Effect Cost
    Ability Modifications Strength +2, Agility +2, Intellect +2, Stamina +1, Presence +1 16 points
    Wings Fly 1, Wings 1 point
    Claws Strength-based Damage 2, Obvious 2 points
    Spell-Like Abilities Pick one or more from the list of spells: Darkness, Poison, Blasphemy (as Holy Word, but works against Good), Summon Monster (Limited to fiends, -1 point/rank), Slay Living Varies
    Senses Sense 1 (Darkvision) 1 point
    Immunities Immunity 2 (poision); Immunity 20(acid, cold, electricity, fire damage), Limited to half effect 12 points
    Spell Resistance Immunity 20 (Magic), Unreliable 10 points
    Damage Reduction Impervious X on Toughness 1 point/rank, to a maximum of Toughness

Half-Celestial- 46.5 points, +1/rank of Toughness, + cost of spell-like abilities
    Spoiler
    Show

Power Effect Cost
    Ability Modifications Strength +2, Stamina +2, Awareness +2, Presence +2, Agility +1, Intellect +1, 20 points
    Wings Fly 2, Wings 2 points
    Daylight Environment 2 (Light 2) 4 points
    Spell-Like Abilities Pick one or more from the list of spells: Protection from Evil, Aid, Cure ____ Wounds, Holy Word, Summon Monster (Limited to celestials, -1 point/rank) Varies
    Senses Sense 1 (Darkvision) 1 point
    Immunities Immunity 1 (disease); Immunity 17 (acid, cold, electricity damage; poison), Limited to half effect 9.5 points
    Spell Resistance Immunity 20 (Magic), Unreliable 10 points
    Damage Reduction Impervious X on Toughness 1 point/rank, to a maximum of Toughness
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

love this cross translation, a good tool to teach lore, amazing that it translated so easily where as the other way... doesnt
    Reality is my clay, Imagination my tools.

Always have an idea on hand.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The Red Towel: Thread necromancy.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/