Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default One Gish, Two Gish, Red Gish, Blue Gish [IC]

"...but I am glad to report that our search has finally borne fruit!" a man states proudly to a roomful of others, who murmur in anticipation.

The speaker, a middle-aged male human by the name of Josiah d'Santo, is wearing a cloak over his day clothes and a weapon at his belt like most of those present. He is a member of your cell of the organization formally named the Alliance Against the Oppression of Unsanctioned Magic-Users, and informally known as "the Resistance" because "the AAOUMU" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. It is early evening, and you are in the midst of a meeting to discuss your recent activities with your colleagues.

This cell, though small, is notable among Resistance cells for never having lost a member to the witch-hunting Inquisition, for you only accept as permanent members those who are trained in both the mystic and martial arts and so are more able to defend yourselves than some of the more scholarly cells. You've had a very high success rate at seeking out and training fledgling arcanists (and psionicists, soulbinders, incanters, warlocks, and practitioners of other Arts, though as far as the general public is concerned you're all "mages" at best or "witches" at worst), recovering ancient magical knowledge and artifacts, striking back at Inquisition mage-hunting teams, and more...up until recently, at least.

Either the Inquisition has been quite thorough in their searches lately or there's been a drop in the number of talents emerging in the populations of Iatirroch and Enkavmolis, the two nearest city-states to the hidden and fortified retreat where you are currently located and from which you base your activities. In either case, you haven't had much luck finding new students of late, until today, when one of your number has returned with good news. "I've found a group of them at the Academy," Josiah continues, referring to the Iatirroch Academy of Higher Learning where priests of Oghma, Thoth, and other deities of knowledge educate the city-state's youth. "There are almost a dozen students practicing the Art in secret after hours, and they're actually doing a fair job for having no real teachers. Unfortunately, my contact said there's been some strange stirrings around the Academy lately and she believes that the Inquisition might be on to them. Maybe a traitor, maybe some careless spell-work, who knows.

"My point is, I think we should help these kids. Sure, it's a risk bringing so many unknowns here, or helping that many at once at all, but I think it's a risk worth taking."
    He gestures to three of your comrades, all in their late teens or early twenties but looking just as serious and dedicated as the rest of you. "Moriah, Tarnoc, and Galad are about their age and are plenty capable and trustworthy, so I think those kids would be a valuable addition to our group." Another of your number shakes his head. "No. Too dangerous. If there is a chance of a spy among them, we cannot risk it. We can help instruct them, perhaps, but not tell them about us."

"You're always too cautious, Sergei," Josiah retorts. "These are the first potential apprentices we've found in two months, we can't just pass this opportunity by." He turns to you and spreads his hands, inviting comments. "Well, everybody? What do you think?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's dive right into things, shall we? The OOC thread is here.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2017-02-16 at 03:23 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: One Gish, Two Gish, Red Gish, Blue Gish [IC]

Aat

As always, Aat was tending to his bow seeming absent-minded, but he has a keen ear and a swift mind. "Into the lion's den, huh? Sounds dangerous. I like it." He grins, looks up and continues. "Two things. If there is a traitor, he needs to be identified and taken care of. We can not afford not to. Also, we might get in, but how do we get the students out? Can anyone swiftly transport a dozen students and their rescuers?" He looks around at his comrades as he straps his bow to his back, indicating he is both ready and willing to do this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Am I even in the story yet?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Plot? [1d20+7](1d20+7)[21]
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Armand.
    "The use of Arcane Sight will tell us if the entire group has access to the arcane. If the entire group is able to cast a spell, then I think we have little to worry about regarding a possible spy in their midst."

He clears his throat before continuing. "What would a spy say to the inquisition: 'I found a group of mages at school who let me join, here's where to find them, and these older witches said they'd help us learn more' " he laughs. "The inquisition would thank him for the information, kill him, then act on the information. The danger isn't a spy, but carelessness on their part."

"Now I'm not saying we leave the kids to their fate, they will need our help soon, if they don't already. But the fact that we've heard of them from rumors means the inquisitors probably have as well. Further, it means the kids are being less than discrete in their play."

"So if you want my vote, I say we help them without revealing the existence of the cell, our safehouses, or any more members than needed. The presence of a group of more powerful practitioners will say enough by itself. If we decide to bring them back, we should ensure none can cast teleportation magics, then blindfold and teleport them ourselves. However, if they're unable to be discrete, or playing at demon-summoning; well, you know my views on such irresponsible use of power."
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2013-04-09 at 04:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Chimera

[For simplicity's sake, I'm simply going to refer to myself as "Gohla" when doing the who's talking thing.]

Gohla:

Placing his fork on the table, the young man wipes his face with a napkin, making sure no food is left on his mouth before speaking. "How often do these kids get to relax?" he asked, a smile on his lips. "As you're all well aware, my circus will be in town starting tomorrow. Since the students are scholars, they probably don't get out that much." Raising his hand to his chin, Aladterf ran his fingers across his chin. "I might be able to convince Fi'la to offer to put on a performance at the school for a discounted price. Just know that if we do this, you'll have to meet the students while they are one route either to or from the performance. I can't have there be any connection between the circus and the resistance; I refuse to put them at such a risk."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Local [1d20+9]: (1d20+9)[15]
    Show
    Show
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Diael

Zoe had been moving around a lot. The news has made her rather excited. "Master could teleport the students out." Her projected thoughts are like dew on shoes on a Sunday morning...

Diael does not respond immediately. He has placed his brandy down, and his hands are touching ominously in front of his face.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2013-09-15 at 07:34 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Aat

Aat nods at Armands comments. "Where do we take them, then? We can't lift them out and leave them somewhere on their own? Though, I agree we need to be careful. That we think it is a good idea to free them does not necessarily mean they agree. They might have other ambitions. A hmmm, buffer location to keep them so we can judge them would be good."

He then turns to Diael: "Fine, that could work."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Diael

"I haven't said anything yet. I agree with a buffer location. I refuse to teleport them directly here, anyway. Not until we know more about them."
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"How many brats are there?"
    He asks Josiah. "With any reasonable number, Diael and I could teleport them to a location in the wilderness. Nowhere too dangerous, but different enough from their surroundings we can get a good look at their character and personality."

"Also, depending on the timeframe, I can probably find a defiled circle or similar where the demonbinders of old Nar practiced their rites. Some of those sites had no real significance, but others were located at places where reality was a little thinner. We'll take them to the former, but hint that it's the latter."
    He gives a mirthless smile.
    "Any who attempt demon summoning would be culled from the group now, those who allow it kept under suspicion. And those who oppose it, well they'll remain under watch, but they'll probably be the more trustworthy members of the group."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Diael

Zoe lets out some feelings of exasperation.

Diael takes another swig of his brandy. He thinks for a second before answering. "Are you sure? A demon binder would be incredibly valuable against our enemies. We could use all of the help we can get. It's sympathizers we have to worry about, not people of our kind."

11. - Top - End - #11

Tarnoc slams a fist on the table before Josiah can answer Armand. "Those 'brats' you keep referring to are my age and Galad's, you know," he says flatly, glaring at Armand. "And I don't like how you're talking about just 'porting them out into the middle of nowhere with blindfolds on, like we're Inquisitors interrogating captured mages. For Boccob's sake, people, Diael's right, treating these people like they're automatically a bunch of untrustworthy spies isn't going to convince them that we're on their side!"

"Indeed. Particularly if any of them are conjurers," Josiah adds, also giving Armand an unpleasant look. "Gods forbid one of them summons up an imp and gets an earful of one of your misguided lectures." Josiah has had several heated discussions with Armand in the past regarding Armand's disapproval of Josiah's necromancy, and the two don't see eye to eye on the issue at all. "To answer your question, there are ten of them. One of them has reached the second circle, and I assume he's the ringleader; most of the rest can just about manage light cantrips on a good day, but they're coming along. There won't be any need for any 'culling' or any prejudiced nonsense like that."

"Gentlemen, please," Moriah says with a sigh of frustration. The ornate rapiers at her hip clink against her chair as she stands, plants both hands on the table, and looks Armand and Josiah in the eye. "Your bickering won't help, I don't think talking about teleporting these kids around before we even know if they'll accept our help is a good idea, and anyway we can't put things to a vote until Kaulesh, Jheska, and Galad get here so there's no need to decide things right this instant."

She flashes Aladterf a smile and continues, "I like your idea, about scouting them out under the cover of the circus. I think that's a good idea in general, actually--if we're worried about traitors and finding out what the Inquisition knows, we should be finding out more information before we even start talking about safe houses and blindfolds. Diael, Aat, you two are relatively good at getting in and out of places fast and sneakily, right? You could probably get in there and find some more information, and of course Aladterf you'd have your cover if we use your plan. The rest of us must have enough divinations between us for more information-gathering."

"I'm also good at sneaking," says Tarnoc, sounding annoyed at being dismissed again, "but that would be too slow. Like Armand says, they probably don't have a spy if they're all arcanists, but a gaggle of untrained mages is bound to attract Inquisition attention, and if we don't act soon it may be too late."
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2013-04-12 at 02:14 AM.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Varthok had been listening silently, but attentively, for the majority of the meeting, coming very close to speaking up on several occasions but deciding otherwise because someone else always replied before he could properly phrase his own comments. 'They remind me of my tribe,' he thought wistfully, 'always at each others' throats over the smallest of arguments, fangs bared and hackles raised. Only there's a lot less brawling.' For his part, he didn't mind. Varthok had a basket full of freshly-picked medicinal (and cooking) herbs that he had been sorting and bundling before the meeting began, so he had that to occupy his hands and his time while the others spoke.

Privately, he agreed with Josiah, at least in principle: the idea of leaving children and teenagers for the Inquisition to slaughter was unthinkable, and if they had some way to offer them safe harbor, whether here or elsewhere, they should do so without hesitation. 'On the other hand, neither can we discount the Inquisition's capacity for treachery. While there may be no Inquisition spies amongst the students themselves, that is not the only means by which they might be betrayed,' he mused, intending to bring his suspicions to Josiah and, more promisingly, Moriah once their meeting had adjourned.

He shared a glance with her after she had finished addressing Aladterf. 'We can't keep going like this,' was his unspoken message to her, but he knew there was only so much she could do on her own to ease tensions and smooth over differences of opinion. A two-part plan was a good start, and having the circus performers assist them in scouting the city more thoroughly was a sound idea: Varthok certainly couldn't fly overhead unless the sky was heavily overcast, and even then, only at night. There were certain things he'd need Aladterf to do or collect for him to assist in the information gathering. He began to make a mental list of things to ask for: 'We'll need something belonging to one of the students if we want to scry them, such as a piece of clothing, but preferably something like a strand of hair, and also...'

"Josiah," he slowly began to ask, "are there any trees growing in or near the Academy?" If they were lucky, they'd be the same kind as the trees that were growing nearby, just outside their hideout. A direct way to get there and back would be invaluable in helping the young mages in escaping from the city. 'Maybe I should find something to sketch on, so I can show Aladterf the shape of the leaves. He could identify what's growing inside the city for me.' The city guard would never let a gnoll through the gates, but there was always more than one way to get into a settlement.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2013-04-12 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    This is a forum where you ask "How do you get an ability score to 34?" and get answers that proceed to "You should convert all of history into omnipotent hiveminded clones of yourself. How to do this should be fairly obvious."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, Tarnoc you were brats," he replies heatedly. "Until you grew up and proved yourselves, you were brats. It has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with attitude, responsibility, and accountability. If they're like the rest of my students at that school, then they are brats. Maybe the mathematics or comparative religion classes work harder, but mine don't. "

"Misguided lectures?" Armands voice rises in indignation. "If you don't want to listen to me, ask Sergei. Ask him about the old kingdom of Nar, how many countries allied to destroy the demon-binders. Or what actions they took to ensure the destruction of their enemies. I'd tell you to go look for yourself, but the Phage is still strong enough to kill an ogre in minutes."
    "And even if the kids, or anyone, never makes the mistakes of Nar, tell me, do you want the public to associate with us the summoning of demons? We'll crush the Inquisition, just to have everyone live in fear of a demon-summoning Magocracy. We'll be as bad as the Inquisition, worse even."

"It's good to plan it out now Moriah." With effort, Armand forces calm into his voice. "Here's a hypothetical for you. We meet them at the circus, tell them to pack their bags and come with us. But the inquisition has been watching several of them, and seeing them packing their bags, makes a grab. Or worse, our new recruit is indiscreet and blabs that he's meeting wizards. Either way, we find ourselves fighting a pitched battle in the city, and we teleport out. But teleport to where? Here? With the Inquisition scrying on us or the recruits, perhaps using spilled blood or the kids possessions to build a stronger connection. If so, better they scry a glade in the woods, than our stronghold. No. We might as well slit our own throats. It'll be cleaner than burning."

He sighs. "As far as scouting them out, how long is the circus in town Aladterf? I don't teach my next lecture for a few days, so it might arouse suspicion if I arrive sooner without an alibi. But if we can wait until then, I can do a preliminary check. That at least, won't require a vote."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Diael

"The more you speak of demons, the more effective they sound. Are you sure it's not something we should be trying?The Demonbinders are the ideal weapon for this fight." He pours himself some more brandy, and stares absentmindedly into the glass before downing it. "I do not care for what the plebeians think. I only seek to rid us of our oppressors."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2013-09-15 at 07:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Armand.

"Let's try it from a different way then Diael. Have you ever seen a city that's ruled by gangs, when those gangs go to war? The gangs don't lose many members and so never drop in power, but the people living in the city suffer. Except in this case, the city is the entire world. While the gangs can't be killed or arrested, at best they're banished for a time. That's why we shouldn't be summoning up demons. The angels are almost as bad. If an angel can stop a demon and save forty innocent souls, they won't mind if that means four hundred others lose their lives in the ensuing fight. After all, those souls will be going to their deserved destination."

He shakes his head. "Getting rid of the Inquisition won't matter if we become as bad as they are. We'll just set the stage for the clerics to start their own resistance, or worse, start the events for another cataclysm."

16. - Top - End - #16

Chimera

"Knowing Fi, she'll want to stick around for maybe three days. That gives everyone enough time to pick up supplies, draw in a big crowd, and take a break from traveling." Although, he thought to himself, if we have a big enough success over the first two days, she might want to stick around for more...
    Reaching into his pack, Ghola pulled out a small jar containing a blue powder. Sprinkling some over his food, Ghola took another bite.
    "Either way," he continued, "if we're going to try and lure them to the circus, then I better go talk to Fi. She'll be more inclined to accept if I make the suggestion tonight, rather than springing it on her tomorrow when we arrive in town."
    Show
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Diael

Diael puts down his glass on the wooden side table next to the leather arm chair he sits in. "You seek to lead them? The incurring and inevitable rebellion will be your responsibility, then. I do not seek to supplant the Inquisition, only to annihilate it. As for as 'bad' as you believe we will become, I've already said I do not care what you think."

Zoe climbs up onto Ghola's table. She sniffs at the blue powder on her food. "Curious..."

"Ghola."
    Zoe jumps slightly at Diael's words. "Make the necessary preparations. If you require my assistance, I would be happy to help."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"Don't be a fool. You can't knock down the established order without setting something up in its place. Unless all you want is chaos."
    "IF we manage to destroy the inquisition through demonic means, then we'll have lynch mobs murdering every wizard and potential wizard they can get their hands on. We in the room would probably survive, but all the minor talents out there will suffer for your arrogance..

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Diael

"You think I can not?"
    The wizard raises an eyebrow. "I can. If you fear for those lives, then I suggest you do something before I have completed my task. It seems to me that they would be better off without the inquisition."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2013-04-12 at 07:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

"I have started." He replied. "I've destroyed every piece of knowledge I've ever found that related to the summoning of demons."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Diael

Diael shakes his head disapprovingly. "They will be truly be no better off..."

Zoe growls. "Burning knowledge?!"

22. - Top - End - #22

"Yeah, well, if you lecture your students like you do us, and call them kids and brats to their faces, I can see why they don't bother working hard in your classes," Tarnoc shoots back at Armand. "And as for Nar, Sergei--" "--as for Nar, nothing; I will not involve myself in your longstanding debate," Sergei interrupts. "You are likely correct to some extent, but I have yet to meet a student who respects all of his professors. As for your hypothetical, Armand, the suggested reconnaissance is exactly to allow us to determine whether these students are being watched. You are placing the floating disk before the wizard by discussing teleportation plans already: If they are indeed under observation, then taking them to a deserted glade is hardly better than bringing them here, since that will still reveal that there are mages nearby who have an interest in these students and will likely show our faces to the observers as well."

The conversation outruns the two of them as the rest of you begin to talk about circus schedules, mageocracies, and summoning morality. When Armand mentions what he has done, though, Moriah gasps, "I can't believe you would destroy arcane knowledge, Armand! Whatever your personal feelings are about demon summoning, that information is valuable, too valuable to just get rid of. Think of all the potential advances in magical theory you're throwing away!"

"Gentlemen...ladies. The students. Extraction. Recon. Circus. Focus. Please." growls Josiah. "Gods know I've had my differences with Armand--Hells, I disagree with him on a daily basis, on almost every topic we discuss--but this isn't the time to get sidetracked by philosophy. We've decided that Ghola will start making his plans, so it's time to determine what everyone else will be contributing to this plan. Armand, you can get our targets to the circus. I can send in a few of my rats and birds to scout around, try to see if they're being watched. We should have someone perform divinations, someone start preparing a receiving area, maybe someone thinking up contingency plans, I don't know, I'm not the tactical expert here."

Show

<Snip>

23. - Top - End - #23

Chimera

"Thank you, Josiah," Ghola replied. "If you hadn't stepped in, I might have done something I'd regret." Continuing in Draconic, Ghola looked at Zoe, "like striking Armand in the jugular."

Looking across the room to Varthok, an idea sprung into Ghola's mind.

"Hey Var," Ghola asked, "how good are you at aerial maneuvers?"

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm asking how good your fly score is.
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2013-04-14 at 02:04 PM.
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Diael

Zoe flies over and lands on Moriah's head. She chirps appreciatively at Ghola.
    "You guys are my favorite." <Moriah, Ghola>

"I'll second the need for a contingency plan. If we can not sell the tickets to the targets, perhaps some altruism will be a better option. I could pretend to have bought too many tickets..."

25. - Top - End - #25

Chimera

"...Or that you aren't able to attend."
    Show
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Varthok checked his basket one more time. 'Just about halfway done,' he thought with a bit of satisfaction, only half-listening to the argument Armand seemed to be having with everyone. "...Inquisition won't matter if we become..." 'Maybe we should try things the Gnoll way,' Varthok thought bemusedly. 'We put everyone in a big cave and let them fight each other with just their claws and then whoever's left standing wins the argument! ...but humans don't have claws, do they?' he frowned, one of his ears turned to the side as he pondered that particular dilemma. He looked down at one of his paws, judging the sharpness of his claws. "...as 'bad' as you believe we will become..." 'Maybe I should give them all big, heavy clubs the way Chieftain Thurrgrak likes to do it.' "...destroyed every piece of knowledge..." 'Then again, humans like to call us "savages"... I suppose they would like the elven way better.' "...too valuable to just get rid of. Think of all..." Varthok turned his attention back to his basket and resumed his careful bundling of the herbs with bits of twine. 'I don't suppose they'd actually listen to me, though.' "...get sidetracked by philosophy. We've decided..." 'Not that I have any idea where to find two barrels of apples, a ten-foot-long pole, a live yak, and a functional catapult at this time of year. It's much too warm for apples to be growing.'

"Hey Var," Varthok's ears perked up immediately, and he looked up to see Aladterf talking to him. He opened his mouth in a small grin. "How good are you at aerial maneuvers?" Varthok tilted his head and pondered for a moment, trying to recall all the things he'd ever done while airborne. "I don't think I've ever tried doing many special tricks in the air before," he began thoughtfully, "because I've only ever needed to fly from one place to another." He paused for a moment. He had sometimes done barrel rolls in the air, remembering how he had to fold his wings to perform the maneuver. The biggest impediment was his own size: Varthok was rather burly and muscular, and even though his wings could support him, he could not honestly say he felt particularly nimble in the air. "If you're hoping I can perform in the circus, I would be happy to try but..." Varthok spread his wings wide, the pearlescent, silvery-white sheen of them evident even when they weren't catching the light of the sun. "the guards would try to kill me if they saw these. Assuming they don't try to kill me for being a gnoll." He folded his wings, careful to not to dishevel his feathers too much. He didn't mind preening them but, given their size, it was a time-consuming process. "Or did you have something else in mind?" he asked, tilting his head again in curiosity.

-----
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Varthok's maneuverability is technically good, not that he knows it. He generally flies as though his maneuverability were average or poor, though that will improve with practice. The only exception to this is that Varthok does know how to hover.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2013-04-14 at 11:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    This is a forum where you ask "How do you get an ability score to 34?" and get answers that proceed to "You should convert all of history into omnipotent hiveminded clones of yourself. How to do this should be fairly obvious."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Zoe

"You can borrow my Hat of Disguise!"

28. - Top - End - #28

Chimera

"You're close; I was actually considering having you take part in the circus, yes..." Ghola pondered the best was to word his statement. "...but not to be spinning around like an air elemental. Fi'la's been going on and on recently about trying to find someone to really spice up the circus; in other words, a new act. And it just so happens that she's very interested in the idea of a flying act. You wouldn't have to do anything too fancy if you didn't want to. Maybe just fly through some rings of fire.

"And even if you can't do it more than once or twice right now, you won't have to. Fi has a tendency to introduce new members on closing night, so you'd only have to do it once...unless you're such a success that the crowd demands an encore.

"As for being a gnoll, don't worry. Our show has all sorts: elves, halflings, kobolds; heck, we've even got a tame rust monster! He's always a big hit."
    Stepping over to Varthok, Aladterf put his hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry. I promise nothing bad will happen." Sitting down next to him, Ghola began to help Varthok sort the remaining half of his medicinal (and cooking) herbs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't know if this will be necessary, but I rolled some checks to try and help Var.
    Knowledge (Nature) [To identify the herbs]: (1d20+13)[28]
    Autohypnosis [to memorize Varthok's organization method]: (1d20+10)[23] (according to the XPH, memorize is a DC15 skill check. Still up do DM's discretion )
    Show
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't ask for respect Sergei, and it's unprofessional to insult them to their faces, no matter how much I wish. I expect them to do their work, and in exchange, they earn a good or passing grade." Armand replies. "I don't have any sympathy for them when they show up drunk on the day of a test, then whine to me about how their parents will take away their horse if they fail. As to teleportation, you are likely correct."

"Moriah," Armand sighs. "I gave the you the chance to join my dig at a possible early Nar fort last year. Instead you refused as there had been no indication that the fort was inhabited after the rise of the Nar magocracy." He tilted his head at her. "When and where do you think I found those codices?"

"Aladterf," he begins, pretending not to hear the threat. "What is the normal cost of a circus ticket? If they're cheap, we can just buy a large number of tickets for the school and distribute them to as many classes as we can, starting with those the brats are in. If they're expensive, we can buy a dozen or so, and I'll see that they find their way into the bags of these kids. Or, if you can persuade your ringmaster to discount tickets for the students. If she's resistant to the idea, we can offer to offset some or all of the discount ourselves."

Spoiler
    Show
    edit:
    Changed line directed to Moriah, so that it didn't include the PCs.
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2013-04-15 at 02:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Chimera

"Well," Ghola began, "not knowing your average wage of your 'day job' is, but without any discounts, a single night ticket is about 3, 4 gold pieces. In fact," he added, "we usually get a not quite inconsiderate number of people who show up." Under his breath, he continued in Terran " though most of the money does go into supplies..."
    Show
    Show