New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: OOTS #883 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The Xill has no tail, and is different colour.
    cool, didn't see the tail, and the armor is greenish... Giant sometimes fudges with colors.
    Bard with the self-discipline of a kitten on cocaine....
    The "Tiny Firebreathing Avatar of Death!" himself!

I am a Neutral Good Human Bard/Wizard (6th/4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 18
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 16

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    Would I be correct to assume one can not gain XP by using a soul splice's abilities? Otherwise, V should be epic by now, what with all those dragons s/he killed.
    That makes sense.

It's also really unfortunate for the IFCC. The faster their client casters level, the more firepower they have on hand when those clients' turn to serve comes due.

They should probably fix that in Splice v1.1.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    What I find interesting is that we (again) get to see Tarquins soft and therefore weak spot. He talks about "your bothers pawns" still picturing him to be the leader of the Order. Even there is a debatable power in Elan being a bard.
    As a storyteller in this Comic which (also) obeys the laws of Comedy he therefore has a certain power to "shape things" he is not the genius tactical mind Tarquins believes he is.
    Also the mentioning of the 'Father of the year'-award in the last strip strengthens my opinion that if anything, his downfall will come from such a "mistake" in judgement rather than from his opponents, the Order or Team Evil.
    Also "And I can see far" may be true, but is just a little too smug.

Tarquin is juggling a lot of balls and is feeling very pleased with himself. It's at times like that that the balls often start tumbling down.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nogall View Post
    2) Quarr was maybe sent by the fiends to talk V to go back to the order, so that the Linear Guild wouldn't win right away...?
    This is exactly what I am thinking. When Qarr left, he mentioned that he was furthering 'his own agenda' (paraphrased).

Well having V mope about doing nothing doesn't really further his (read the IFCC's) agenda, now does it?

But if Qarr plays Evil Jiminy Cricket and lights a fire under V's butt? Well, that might very well get him back into the game. Which in turn, furthers the IFCC's short term goal of destructive unnecessary conflict.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock View Post
    The spell as described never made sense anyways. If you cast that spell on a human on earth it would wipe out all human life on the planet (possibly all life period, including plants, and almost certainly all mammals at the very least.) Unless the OOTSverse is like 300 years old.
    What? Familicide goes down the family tree, and up until the first dead individual. It was so destructive when Varsuviuus used it only because he did so on an ancient dragon, who had likely been alive for thousands of years and had many eggs. Had Familicide not stopped when founding a dead antecessor, it would have killed all the Black Dragons, not 1/4.

If you used it on an old king, for example, you would wipe the entire royal family and probably several noble clans, but that would be all.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    Two things:

1. Wow, I thought Durkon would have to re-dedicate himself to an evil god or cause before he got his spells back! I guess in this world, only Paladins have to suck on insanely harsh code rules.
    Well then it looks like Rich is keeping things closer to D&D than previously thought.

Paladins have always had stricter guidelines than Clerics and really that never made sense to me but hey whatever *shrug*

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    What? Familicide goes down the family tree, and up until the first dead individual. It was so destructive when Varsuviuus used it only because he did so on an ancient dragon, who had likely been alive for thousands of years and had many eggs. Had Familicide not stopped when founding a dead antecessor, it would have killed all the Black Dragons, not 1/4.

If you used it on an old king, for example, you would wipe the entire royal family and probably several noble clans, but that would be all.
    If a dead relative stopped the chain, then the brother of your target wouldn't even die if their parents were already dead, because two brothers are only related through their parents. It seems like this is too obvious a pitfall for what the spell is hoping to accomplish for breaking the chain to be as simple as encountering a dead link....
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2013-04-09 at 06:27 PM. Reason: forgot the quote

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock View Post
    The spell as described never made sense anyways. If you cast that spell on a human on earth it would wipe out all human life on the planet (possibly all life period, including plants, and almost certainly all mammals at the very least.) Unless the OOTSverse is like 300 years old.
    But the spell wasn't cast on Earth. And as Rich pointed out when he explained how Familicide worked, when OotSWorld was created, a bunch of unrelated people/critters were created out of whole cloth.

But, yes, on the whole Familicide was rather nuts.

Which, come to think of it, was the entire point of the fallout of said spell.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sure I'm not the first to predict this, but I'd bet Nale won't notice this until he tries to draw it...

And another thought: Would I be correct to assume one can not gain XP by using a soul splice's abilities? Otherwise, V should be epic by now, what with all those dragons s/he killed.
    The Giant did whistle.

Yup. Not gaining any XP while spliced.. (You could, but your ECL jumps beyond any reachable level, so unless you take on pantheons, nothing is a good enough CR)

Familicide doesn't stop if it reaches an already dead person. If it did, then the Draketooths would have been perfectly fine, since Girard was already dead.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    That makes sense.

It's also really unfortunate for the IFCC. The faster their client casters level, the more firepower they have on hand when those clients' turn to serve comes due.

They should probably fix that in Splice v1.1.
    They could try to find a way around it, and maybe actually have, but the ECL jump seems a pretty hard to leap stumbling block.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2013-04-09 at 06:33 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gerryq View Post
    Also "And I can see far" may be true, but is just a little too smug.
    I was actually wondering if that line is a hint at something we don't yet know, or a reference to some item he has that I forgot about.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by VanaGalen View Post
    Ahhh, my spot check sucks So no Leeky today...

Nale counting himself as caster certainly looks like his style, but for me in stupidity it's close to not being able to count properly. The only spells Nale ever cast as far as I remember was Expeditious Retreat and that Charm Person on Belkar.
    And a good thing that there's no Leeky... if it wasn't for Durkon he might have taken down everyone back in Cliffport.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

And another thought: Would I be correct to assume one can not gain XP by using a soul splice's abilities? Otherwise, V should be epic by now, what with all those dragons s/he killed.
    Yeah, the IFCC specifically said that you won't gain XP because your effective level will be so high (too lazy to link to strip). But it would be possible. Judging by how easily V defeated the ancient black, s/he was much higher effective level and did not gain XP from that. Maybe s/he would have gotten XP from Xykon, but we'll never know.
    "And remember... avoid pears... you'll understand when the time comes..."
    -A.S.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html. You could, but your ECL jumps beyond any reachable level.
    That's some excellent rules knowledge (on the IFCC's part and ultimately Rich's). That would not have occurred to me.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2013-04-09 at 06:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    For the people comparing Haerta and V's bodycount, where was it written that Haerta was from OotSWorld?

For all we know, and in fact I presume this is the case, Haerta was on another prime matierial plane doing all of her wickedness.
    Qarr said "in history" though, and history in a multiplanar universe doesn't have to be restricted to one world.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    Qarr said "in history" though, and history in a multiplanar universe doesn't have to be restricted to one world.
    Yes, but Qarr wants to twist the dagger in V's back right now, yes? So what's a little poetic license between friends?

To put it another way: Caution Number One when dealing with fiends: Never take what they say exactly literally.

Which is, of course, followed closely by: Caution Number Two when dealing with fiends: Don't take what they say figurately at face value either.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-04-09 at 06:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    If a dead relative stopped the chain, then the brother of your target wouldn't even die if their parents were already dead, because two brothers are only related through their parents. It seems like this is too obvious a pitfall for what the spell is hoping to accomplish for breaking the chain to be as simple as encountering a dead link....
    The Giant himself:

"I really thought that last comic would end this debate, but it seems like there's still a lot of confusion. So here goes:

Step 1: Kill everyone with the original target's blood. This is a simple yes/no effect: Is a creature (the secondary target) related by blood to the original target at all, in any way? If yes, kill it. If no, move on. Number of generations or percentage of blood or direction doesn't matter.

Step 2: Kill everyone who shares blood with any of the people killed in Step 1. Think of it as killing everyone descended from (or siblings to) any and all still-living ancestors of each secondary target. So if Penelope had a grandfather on one side and a great-grandmother on the other side who were still alive, every person who could trace their blood back to either of those people would be dead, because Penelope's daughter carries both of their bloods. If a person can only trace their blood through (say) Penelope's already-dead great-great-great-grandfather, then they're safe. Thus cousins and second-cousins and the like are all dead, but more distant genetic relations are not. It is possible for some cousins to survive if all older generations were already dead, yes, but Vaarsuvius wasn't really likely to take the time to make that distinction while sobbing on a dungeon hallway floor."

17. - Top - End - #167

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    But the spell wasn't cast on Earth. And as Rich pointed out when he explained how Familicide worked, when OotSWorld was created, a bunch of unrelated people/critters were created out of whole cloth.

But, yes, on the whole Familicide was rather nuts.

Which, come to think of it, was the entire point of the fallout of said spell.
    If you make the assumption (which granted may not necessarily be true) that after several thousand years the average fertility of any individual Black Dragon evens out, then Familicide killing about 1/10th of all Black Dragons suggests that the Gods created about 10 original Black Dragons.

18. - Top - End - #168

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    If I read the Giant's description of Familicide correctly, then a dead relative does not stop the chain in step 1, but it does in step 2.

19. - Top - End - #169

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Rictus View Post
    Sure Nale, insulting your team members is surely the key to victory! Also, what on earth are Tarquin and Kilkil going to be doing in the meantime?
    What Tarquin and Kilkil are going to be doing, in the narrative-structure sense, is making it just barely believable for the OTS not to get TPK'ed in the first round of the coming battle (if it gets to a battle, of course).

20. - Top - End - #170
    Spamalot in the Playground

Wouldn't he at least lose the spells Thor granted him and require new spell preparation to gain his spells again?
    It doesn't say that is needed either. And he already had several copies of Planar Ally prepped - he simply directed his request, er, lower.

What's amusing is that, by RAW, deities only interact during the preparation process, i.e. when the spells are requested. There's nothing about them being able to blank the unused spell slots from your mind after being sent.

The only question now is - is he asking Nergal, or Hel? Or simply an ideal?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

furious Re: OOTS #883 - The Discussion Thread

PISCOLOTH!!!
    SO... MUCH... HATE...

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    If I read the Giant's description of Familicide correctly, then a dead relative does not stop the chain in step 1, but it does in step 2.
    Hmmm. If I understand it right, it would kill for example the parents and grandparents an so on going back, and all the descendants going down... and then on step two everyone related to them. That way it works (for me), and I am really lamenting I brought this up again.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by delroland View Post
    PISCOLOTH!!!
    SO... MUCH... HATE...
    There's a story behind that, isn't it?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Perhaps Tarquin's the sort of lawful that requires the proper forms be filled out: treasure taken, XPs gained, maps drawn on graph paper 10 feet to the square. In other words: a gamer!
    "So, Sabine was banished at X point, meaning from this point forward she doen't get XP anymore...Oh hey DM, can we consider animating all those dead guys as beating a challenge against vomiting from the scent? Cool, that's like 20 creatures with what 1/4 HD?"

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It doesn't say that is needed either. And he already had several copies of Planar Ally prepped - he simply directed his request, er, lower.
    Technically if Durkon could have lost all of his spells by being an ex-Cleric of Thor:

Ex-Clerics
    A cleric who grossly violates the code of conduct required by his god loses all spells and class features, except for armor and shield proficiencies and proficiency with simple weapons. He cannot thereafter gain levels as a cleric of that god until he atones (see the atonement spell description).
    However it could easily be handwaived away by saying Durkon rejected Thor when he arose and is currently a Generic Vampire Cleric and thus didn't lose any perpared spells (with them being 'transferred' to a seperate divine bank account as it were).

Is it a bit of a handwave? Perhaps. But that's easily within the realm of DM Fiat (i.e. making their game/story run smoothly).
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-04-09 at 06:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't he at least lose the spells Thor granted him and require new spell preparation to gain his spells again?
    Nope, there's no take-backs on granted spells. Durkon's got exactly the ones he had when he turned, he just can't cast any of the ones with the [Good] descriptor due to being Evil now.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

People were saying Elan, with his single Mass Cure Light Wounds per day, could be the new healer, yet are confused when an 8th-12th level sorcerer calls himself a spellcaster.

...Yeah, the opposites theme is still going strong it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    Ditto. Taunts and insults by imps should generally have [citation needed] at the end of them.

I dunno, mocking an evil spellcaster's familiar? Would Zz'dtri even care? He probably treats Quarr about as well as Tarquin treats a butler. The last evil spellcaster I played named his undead eagle familiar "Mistake."

He outlived us all.

edit: Ah, Zz'dtri is frowning though. Hmm.
    It's probably just a blank face, like Z usually has. Z even calls the fact that V hangs out with a familiar now odd, so I doubt he cares much about Qarr.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hmmm. If I understand it right, it would kill for example the parents and grandparents an so on going back, and all the descendants going down... and then on step two everyone related to them that is either directly connected and still alive, or is indirectly connected but for with a direct chain of living relatives exists that ends in a living direct connection.
    This actually means that if Famlicide had been cast on a human it probably wouldn't be that nasty, we just don't live long enough for it to spread far. Probably why Hortea isn't so well remembered, it just isn't capable of that much devastation unless you hit something with the interbreeding tendencies and long lives of a dragon.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    This actually means that if Famlicide had been cast on a human it probably wouldn't be that nasty, we just don't live long enough for it to spread far. Probably why Hortea isn't so well remembered, it just isn't capable of that much devastation unless you hit something with the interbreeding tendencies and long lives of a dragon.
    Yup, that is my take. Althought no doubt Haerta was happy to see it used on a dragon.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Blackwing wins the award for most unhelpful help by a pet or familiar. Congratulations.

I see a certain odd genre blindness in Tarquin here. I wonder if he's setting Nale up to fail intentionally, or if his concern for his family and legacy is actually causing him to miss the setup where he has everything in hand and then it all goes around as soon as he relinquishes personal control.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)