1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default OOC - A Matter of Faith

Resources

IC Thread

The PCs!

{table=head]Player|Build|Sheet|Notes
    ScrambledBrains|Monk//Faithful|Alton Highhill|
    TwelvePointFive|Human Psion//Warblade|Sheet|Control!
    DracoDei|Mepholk Cleric//Faithful|Martin Morgan|Organ Undead
    Dunkoro|Dwaerrow Aetherforge//Faithful|Muk Kranith|[/table]

The 16

Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Anti-Cthulhu . The setting is going to be pretty open-ended, I'll have at least a few details by the time we start, but feel free to create pretty much whatever you want.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-6.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

OoTS.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Kinda open to suggestion here, but unless a clear preference is expressed, let's semi-solidly go with 8th. The game is gestalt (but see #7).

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Normal WBL for 8th level (27,000 Gold).

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

One side of the gestalt should be the Faithful class. The other side of the gestalt is up to you. Homebrew is encouraged. Using your own homebrew so you can get actual useful playtest data/feedback is strongly encouraged.

In addition, if someone wants to, it'd be cool to have a single party member using no homebrew (even Faithful), as something of a control.

Pathfinder classes, feats, and spells may be used as well, just note that it's the Pathfinder version.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Homebrew or monster races are okay by approval. LA and Racial HD apply to one side.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

32 Point Buy. Each point of LA also reduces your Point Buy by 4. Each Racial Hit Die reduces your Point Buy by 1.

Maximum hit points.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Alignment is used. Class alignment restrictions are waived, but class features that are alignment based retain them, changing to fit the character's alignment.

The campaign is going to be fairly heroic, so good-aligned characters are somewhat preferred. That said, the gods and their Faithful are banding together against the oncoming threat, so there's room for party-friendly evil characters if someone wants to play one.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

No XP penalty.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

The active character (attacker, for example) should make all rolls. The main place this will matter is with saving throws; the character using the effect would make a power roll against a DC of 12 + save modifier. For area or multi-target effects, make a roll for each target.

I'll probably be pretty lax about keeping enemy stats secret, basic defenses (AC, saves, miss chances) in particular. This should allow you to easily see what the result of your actions are and add in appropriate descriptions. Also should mean everyone will be able to see each other's results and know what current status is for their actions.

As far as initiative, I'll average enemy init, each player rolls normally. Any party members who beat the enemies get a turn, then enemies, then the whole party, and it alternates from there. You do not have to maintain turn order relative to each other.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

I'm perfectly happy to gloss over mundane gear (I think a nice rule of thumb is to assume everyone has a Pathfinder's Kit and Deluxe Dungeoneering Kit) and encumbrance rules. I mean, within logical limits.

Pathfinder skills rather than standard 3.5 skills, but remove Fly, put Concentration back (I'd suggest using the Pathfinder template if you're building the sheet on Mythweavers, to make this easier...it also does armor check penalty better I think ::shrug::).

No XP costs. 1 XP = 5 gold for any purposes involving XP costs. This includes crafting (having the relevant crafting feat basically means you pay 0.7 times normal for the item).

Two flaws are okay. Retroactive skill points. No LA buyoff; gestalt gives LA enough help.

Wealth acquired in-game is just mundane wealth, it may be usable in play (bribes, special purchases, etc), but is not tied to character power. Basically, assume there is no magic item trade. Characters will receive normal WBL at each level, which they may use to purchase/upgrade their magic items (fluff as you choose, crafting, acquired from organization, item powers awakened over time, whatever). The characters may, in the course of play, receive specific items or other rewards. While you're free to get rid of or otherwise not use them, they are separate from WBL, neither counted against it nor able to be exchanged for more of it. WBL level can be used to improve such items (if you get a sword +2, you can improve it to sword +3 for 10,000 gold, for example).

Additionally, there is no surcharge for slotless items or multiple effects on the same slot. Indeed, you may feel free to spend your WBL on the effects of magic items as innate abilities of your character. In the case of weapon bonuses, these apply to any weapons you wield or natural attacks you make. Plus side, these can't be stolen, disjoined, disrupted by antimagic fields (except the ones that actually create spell effects, of course), or otherwise taken. Downside, they can't be lent to allies, and can't be crafted, so you can't spend feats to get a discount on them. All underlying rules for the item still apply; don't purchase an innate ability that functions as a wand unless you can use the wand.

Leftover WBL may be used to pay for spell components, crafting items in play, acquiring items between missions, and purchasing spells from others. If the purchase isn't a permanent item, the WBL gets refunded at next level.

I'm generally fine with custom items using the normal guidelines, though they may be subject to some review. Constant or on-command effects that boost stats on a duration, however, will generally be a no-go; pay the real cost for the stats. Crazy things like Constant True Strike or Wraithstrike on Command are right out. I have absolutely no problem with unlimited out of combat healing.

If you have multiple classes that use different mental ability scores to drive their abilities, you may choose one to use for all classes. Physical scores have some extra combat value in themselves, and are less common when driving abilities, and Strength is too easy to boost anyway, so they don't get this advantage.

Whenever you gain a level, it's treated behind-the-scenes as if you were entirely redoing your character sheet. You don't actually need to do so, but you may reselect abilities, change feats and skills, revise your equipment with the full WBL for your new level (including replacing any lost or destroyed equipment), etc. This also means that any perishable magical items are fully restocked upon gaining a level. You could even change your class and the like. However, if you do wish to make major changes that affect your character's theme, please work them into the story somehow (feel free to bring them up with me beforehand if you want some external reason to come about). This is only for major thematic changes such as loss of signature abilities or things like...a warrior becoming a mage, or whatever. Changes that can be explained away by standard advancement or using the same basic fluff can just replace the old stats.

In general, I'm more likely to change something problematic than ban it, so be aware that that may happen (hopefully it won't have to though, or at least not much).

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Background is good. Plot hooks are good, means you won't have to be fighting eldritch horrors from beyond space and time (and their crazy cultists) at every turn . Character backgrounds should definitely include at least some details about the character's faith and such.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Hack and slash, ideally of the over-the-top awesome kind, backed by role playing. Puzzle/social type things...may crop up, but I expect this will be a much more action-oriented game.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

I may need to ask for details on some things, but there aren't any hard bans on sources.

Other Notes

Spoiler
    Show
    As noted, using your own homebrew so you can collect data on it and see how it plays is strongly encouraged. This also means I'm open to changes to homebrew as the game progresses, although review of the change may be required, particularly in the case of buffs.

Similarly, I am giving warning that I very well might be tweaking the Faithful class as the game progresses. If you see an ability or combination that looks like it would be unbalanced in play, please let me know before you incorporate it into your build, because otherwise there's a very good chance that the first time you use it you'll get a, "Huh, that wasn't intended," and it'll change out from under you.

In terms of optimization, the game's likely to be fairly high-powered, being gestalt homebrew. Faithful I...believe should wind up somewhere between High Tier 3 and Tier 2, and have a pretty high optimization floor. This'll be a fairly high-action game; regardless of what shiny powers you have, numbers matter, so work to keep them reasonable. As a good rule of thumb, don't stack multiple ability modifiers on the same stat, don't pump a single ability modifier massively high, be gentle about major number inflations like metamagic reductions, bonus attacks/natural weapon stacking, damage multipliers, etc.

That being said, I'm counting a "challenging encounter" (both for Oaths and for general CR calculations) as a group of opponents equal in number to the party, each with a CR equal to the APL. So shoot to be able to reliably solo an even-CR encounter, solo a CR + 2 with luck, good tactics, or difficulty, and at least hold your own (and maybe, with luck and tactics, win) against a CR + 4. I know that's a very rough guideline, CR being what it is, but it should at least get you in the ballpark.

Finally, you can bet that I won't have encyclopedic knowledge of what your characters can do. Please make sure to note any abilities relevant to your actions or the situation. If I appear to have missed something, call me on it, because it will happen (probably a lot).

Setting and Story

Spoiler
    Show
    The world is called Teris. The world has six continents, four of which are 90+% controlled by two great empires, the Esturian Empire and the Seloran Empire (and they both have holdings, albeit smaller ones, in the other two continents). Both are human-dominant civilizations, and while they have strong militaries, most of their expansion was through trade, politics, propaganda, and leveraging superior access to resources and magic. Most of the kingdoms making up the two empires are still under the control of their original governing bodies, but pay fealty (and taxes) to the empires.

The empires have been rivals for centuries, waging war against each other on and off. Currently, very much on. Three years ago, a chain of events beginning with some fairly typical skirmishes escalated into basically all out war between the two empires. At this stage, there's fighting going on throughout the world, both sides actively seeking to conquer as much as they can of the other. Although their fighting is on every continent, both sides are taking care to keep their fighting from spilling over into neutral territories - whether this is out of ethical responsibility or to avoid drawing the ire of other kingdoms is for the propagandists to argue about.

So, basically, the characters begin with a world war waging around them. It's the least of their problems.

Take it to a year ago. The continent of Impara, where these two empires got their start. Largest continent in the world, controlled entirely by either Esturia or Selor. The fighting, naturally, has been heaviest there. The most hotly contested piece of land, on the border of the two empires, was an old dwarven fortress called Baerngard. In addition to being a strong fortification built into a tall mountain, commanding a great view of several roads and a major waterway that runs through both empires, the fortress itself is stationed above an intersection of three ley lines, making it a very valuable magical location as well as an important tactical one. At the time, though, the fortress was uncontrolled; had been since the last major flare-up of hostilities, both empires agreeing to leave it unclaimed as part of the previous treaty.

Both are looking for a way to get a one-up on the other. They have their mages, their priests. Both sides are calling angels and binding demons, animating the dead. They're well-matched, Esturia with somewhat better manpower and resources, Selor with a slight edge in magic. Both receive an offer, a chance to unleash a supernatural force that will give them a decisive advantage in the war.

Not exactly from a credible source though. The Seekers of the Eternal are, basically, a cult. Denounced by all the major religions of the world, they profess to be the followers of ancient, primordial beings, living outside of space and time, creators of the realms that the gods were birthed in, and so on. Everyone else basically writes them off as deluded madmen. Still, they have the ritual, and thorough examination by imperial mages confirm that it is indeed a powerful conjuration. It's also costly, a rite of exceedingly potent blood magic.

But then, the empires are currently spilling quite a lot of blood anyway...

Working both sides, the Seekers convinced the empires to wage a tremendous battle, draw out their opponent's forces at Baerngard, promising both a secret weapon and the valuable fortress if the ritual went properly. Now, don't doubt, it wasn't an easy sell, but yes, eventually, the Seekers did manage to stage their battle, and made use of the ley line, the bloody carnage, and the resources of the two empires to perform the ritual.

It was so far beyond the meager pieces they had showed the imperial mages.

Blood magic? The mere foundation. Every soldier slain in that battle was consumed, blood, body, and soul. The ley lines? Drained. Utterly and irrevocably consumed outright in the casting. The backlash killed every Seeker involved and blew Baerngard - a dwarf-crafted fortress built into a mountain - into rubble.

And the Eternal was brought forth. A creature of ancient horror from outside of space and time, it rained a bloody cataclysm over the tattered remnants of both armies, laughing off spells and arrows, and calling forth its minions and spawn through the ragged hole that the ritual had left in the fabric of space and time. For three full days, it and its forces wreaked havoc on both empires. It couldn't be stopped.

Until the gods came down. Now, I'm not going to say the army of Outsiders led by manifest deities weren't more than a match for this thing. There was one way that battle could go and it ended with the Eternal be scattered across the countryside in oozing ruin. But that doesn't mean it was fast, or easy. The battle waged for a week, and by the end of it? Pretty much everything within a hundred miles of where Baerngard had once stood was utterly destroyed, with tens of thousands killed in the crossfire.

The hole in reality? Well, it was sealed, pretty much. Thing is, the damage was done. The wall between the planes as people know them, and the timeless Void where the Eternals sleep, had been damaged. And they'd gotten a taste of Teris.

The empires went back to their war - to be fair, they learned their lesson, it just happened that the lesson was less "Maybe focus your attention on the primordial horrors from beyond reality instead of a land war" and more "Don't accept deals from shady cults". The gods and their Faithful had more important things to worry about. Now, it didn't happen quickly - unifying enemy or not, you're still talking cosmic blood feuds here. Over the course of the year, though, arrangements were made, old pacts invoked, and a Summit was called. Representatives of all the gods from throughout and beyond the world of Teris gathered at the site where Baerngard had once stood.

In that year, more Eternals have been called from the Void, much weaker, but each calling spreads their influence and further weakens the dimensional barriers. They're a real threat, as are their Seekers. Worse, as far as planes go, the Prime Material is pretty much at the top of the heap when it comes to keeping itself separate from other cosmological realms. Eternals of varying levels of power have been entering the Outer Planes and outright infesting the Astral. The gods and their servants are at work fending them and working on repairing the damage, but as is so often the case, the material plane seems to be the most important front of a planar war, even when it sees the least actual fighting. The Seekers have to be stopped, kept from performing their rituals and further weakening the barriers, to give the gods a chance to more properly repair them.

Thus the Summit. Your characters are making up one of several teams, charged by the gods to seek out and neutralize the Seekers of the Eternal - as well as any Eternals you encounter within your power to defeat. Your team has been assigned to begin in the city of Initos, about a week south from the location of the Summit, the third largest city of the Kingdom of Esturia. Oracles have confirmed that there is a mid-sized Seekers cell there - and, they believe, at least one Eternal.

On the Eternals:

So what do you know? Fortunately, a fair bit; a good part of the point of the Summit was to compare notes on these creatures, and some of those notes were coming from archangels and demon lords who were there when the gods first battled them.

So, the big talk of the Seekers, how they exist beyond space and time, are older and greater than the gods? Exaggerated, but there's some grain of truth to it. Both they and the gods have existed before a little concept called time was properly in place, so a comparison of relative age isn't exactly feasible at this stage of the game. Greater than the gods? Frankly, no. They've warred with the gods before, lost, and wound up sealed away outside of space and time. The greatest of them could give a fair match to an Intermediate deity. The majority of them are low-epic. The ones that are prowling around on Teris at the moment mostly are in the area of upper-to-top-tier Outsiders.

They do have one advantage compared to the gods though; they're completely immune to Salient Divine Abilities and ignore the effects of Divine Rank. But to be clear, the gods in this setting don't get whatever base stats you see published. They're gestalt, they're optimized, and they're Unnecessarily High Epic, so even without the goodies, solo, they have the edge. Thing is, if the dimensional boundaries see a full-scale breach and these things start pouring out? They have some serious numbers, so it's not exactly one-sided. Regardless, for our purposes, it's a moot point. Dimensional boundaries fall and it comes down to all-out war? You're talking Apocalypse, and not the kind that leaves scattered groups of survivors scrounging for water. Remember, overwhelming assault on a relatively small contingent was still a week-long battle that glassed about a hundred mile radius area.

Strengths? You got your average size/strength/Hit Dice deal to start with. Most of these guys have formidable psychic powers - you won't go mad just by looking on their twisted forms, you'll go mad when they psionically tear your personality out through your eyeballs. They don't exactly do the whole "staying dead" thing very well. And they are known to possess and/or corrupt (often by means of adding an unnecessary selection of natural weapons in a bunch of odd places) mortals.

Weaknesses? Well, although they ignore a lot of what makes the gods gods, mortal divine powers seem to work well. The lesser ones can be permanently killed through pure aligned damage - regardless of alignment. Greater ones typically require individual rituals, but there is, kind of, a way around it. Once they've been killed, the expenditure of a point of Piety permanently reduces an Eternal's Hit Dice by the Faithful's class level + its Faith Modifier, and an Eternal reduced to 0 Hit Dice in this way is done. That's expensive, but if you need to make sure one of these things doesn't come back, it works. Additionally, Eternals always count as Outsiders of opposite your alignment for purposes of all Faithful powers and divine spells. As it happens, Seekers of the Eternal always count as members of an enemy religion.

That about sums it up. You've got a crazy doom cult summoning eldritch horrors through blood magic, the planes being invaded by an enemy so deadly that angels, devils, and demons are teaming up against it, the gods doing their best not to wage a reality-destroying campaign, a world war going on in the background, and eight levels with which to deal with it.

But you're the Faithful, champions of the divine, chosen and blessed by the gods themselves.

Call it "even odds".
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2013-04-11 at 01:48 AM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOC - A Matter of Faith

I reserve use of Wheat as my character's color..., just joking, it's not visible enough. Muc's color is going to be SeaGreen

Can we already post in the IC?

Ellia
    11 HD Dragon.
    Str: 23. Dex: 12. Con: 19. Int: 18. Wis: 19. Cha: 18.
    Attack: +16. Full Attack: +14 (7). AC: 20. Speed: 60', Fly 200', Swim 60'.
    HP: 115 (+16). Damage: 2d6+10 (2)/1d8+7 (2)/1d6+7 (2)/1d8+13. Threat: 20. Crit Mult: X2.
    Init: +1. Fort: +11. Ref: +8. Will: +11.
    SA: Breath Weapon (4d10, DC 19).
    SQ: Alternate Form, Immune to Fire, Sleep, and Paralysis, Vulnerable to Cold, Water Breathing, Blindsense 60', Keen Senses.
    Skills: Listen+18, Search+18, Spot+18, Concentration+18, Diplomacy+18, Escape Artist+15, Intimidate+18, Knowledge (Arcana)+18, Sense Motive+18, Use Magic Device+18, Disguise+18.
    Feats: Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, Flyby Attack, Power Attack.
    Last edited by Dunkoro; 2013-08-25 at 01:08 PM.
    "You mean, more than those who believe stories of demons
    being summoned, and the ultimate war of good and evil,
    and barons who bathe in blood of virgins?"
    "Well, yes. Didn't quite buy that?"
    "I don't believe in virgins."

- Steven Brust, "Jheegala"

This sentence is false.

Thanks to Kymme for awesome avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, go ahead.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Copying some notes over, will probably add more later:
    Spoiler
    Show

Important note:
    I am a bit forgetful. Therefore I am going to try to save myself some grief in the future by stating this as a blanket action, if that is acceptable:
    Unless I state otherwise, whenever I have at least 2 Faith remaining, and perform skill-checks towards making deathless ("Dissection" as part of the Heal Skill, Craft(Taxidermy)) and a +5 bonus would make failure impossible, but a +2 bonus would not, then I am spending a Faith prior to rolling (whether I remember to say so at the time or not). Similarly, if the above DOESN'T apply, but I need the +2 to succeed after rolling, then I am going to spend the Faith.

Can EVERYONE help me remember this?

2.)
    Stuff I have questions or concerns about the class I will try to put in this color.
    Ok, let's try this out... tell me if I get anything wrong.
    Faith Magic
    I spent spent 6 background points to buy up my Devotion twice, giving me a Devotion of 4.

I have 7 levels of Faithful, since I elected to take my single doesn't-go-away-upon-taking-a-class-level hitdie of Mepholk on that side of the Gestalt.

Twice that, plus half my charisma modifier (my Faith Modifier), give me a Base and current Piety of 10, which means my current Faith is also 10.

I get 4 Rites, and I pick Blessings, Hallows, Shieldings, and Wardings. I can activate up to two packages per use of a given Rite. I get at least 4 packages per Rite, and can distribute 4 more packages across all my rites. (Design note: Calling the both the packages, and the parts of the packages "Gifts" is confusing, although you may have changed that.)

Blessings
    Base Effect: 3d6+10 temporary hitpoints lasting 1 hour, capped at the amount that the target is below their maximum hitpoints (After accounting for Devotion 1)(Balance note: I assume that actual healing causes this to be recalculated based on the same 3d6+10 roll? EDIT: Answered: Yes.)
    Gifts:
    Re-enforcing the Deathless Flesh: Blessing of Consitution: +2 Con, regardless of if they have a consitution score(so +1 DC of Con based saves and +1 to Fortitude saves, maybe a few other things) (1x5=5)(Could I Maybe get this to apply to all extraordinary and supernatural racial ability DCs? Or at least to Fortitude saves as well? Signs point to "Yes" on this second one.), Blessing of Prowess x2: +2 to Over-Run, Bull-Rush, Grapple, etc (2x1=2)
    Big Bertha, Strike: Blessing of Strength +2 (1x5=5), Blessing of Mightx2:+2 damage (2x1=2)
    Big Bertha, Move: Blessing of Quicknessx3:+15' to all movement speeds(3x2=6), Blessing of Resilience: Pre-existing DR improves by +1 (such as DR 16/Slashing for Big Bertha), if no pre-existing DR then gains DR 1/evil. (Or I get to pick even if there is pre-existing DR?)
    Hold or Move Them: Blessing of Prowessx7: +7 to Over-Run to Over-Run, Bull-Rush, Grapple, etc (7x1=7)
    (1st Free Pick)Spin It Good!: Blessing of Charisma +2 (1x5=5), Blessing of Quickness: +5' to all movement speeds (1x2=2)

Hallows:
    Base Effect:(After accounting for Devotion 1)
    You fill an area with divine energy. The area can fill a cube up to 60' on a side, placed anywhere within 180'. Hallowing an area is a standard action, and it lasts using standard Maintenance. Allied Faithful and divine spellcasters within your Hallow increase their effective class level for the purposes of Rites, and their divine spellcaster level, by 2. Enemy Faithful and divine spellcasters within reduce their effective level for such purposes by 2.

Additionally, enemies in the Hallow deal 7 fewer point of damage with all attacks and damaging effects, to a minimum of half damage. Allies in the Hallow receive one additional hit point per class level from all healing effects and effects that grant temporary hit points, to a maximum of twice as many hit points.

If an opponent creates a Hallow over an area you have already Hallowed, it must make an opposed class level check (not incorporating any modifiers; this is pure class level, not effective class level for purposes of the Rite). If it succeeds, it Hallows the overlapping area and your Hallow fades. If it fails, your Hallow stands and its cannot enter the overlapping area. A given opponent gets only one chance to overcome a Hallow. Multiple allied Hallows over the same area all persist, but the same effect from multiple Hallows do not stack (generally, this means only the best one applies, unless another ability allows the Hallow to cause additional effects).

Hallows Gifts alter the Hallowed area in some way. Note that unlike the base effects of the Hallow, these alterations apply to everyone in the area, allied or opposed.
    Gifts:
    Decoys: Hallowed Scenesx3: Up to 3 Figments within the Hallowed area affecting 1 sense, can forgo 1 figment to add one more sense to all figments (intelligible speech requires both auditory senses and an extra application dedicated to speech). You can create figments of groups of things, but they must be a homogenous group, doing basically the same thing. Each distinct figment beyond the first requires an additional application of this option. ( I get three senses for all three figments, right? I don't have to pick between 1 figment with 3 senses, 2 with 2 senses, or 3 with one sense? Are the rays from a Spinning-Horizon Inner Ear separate from the Inner Ear itself?)(3x2=6), Hallowed Guards: Anyone entering the Hallow receives 1d6 points of damage. Alternately, you can apply this to anyone exiting the Hallow.(Note: Probably need to change this since it would damage allies attempting to close on a disabled foe... or maybe I can swap it to "on exit" in such cases?)
    Stay Away: Hallowed Ground(1x5=5), Hallowed Light(1x2=2)
    Hiding: Hallowed Lightx2 (2x2=4), Hallowed Mists(1x3=3)
    Recovery/Injury: Hallowed Fieldx7: Heals/Inflicts 14 points of damage to each creature in area each round (1x7=7) (Do I have to pick heal/inflict now, or can I pick each time I cast?)

Shieldings:
    Invoking a Shielding is a standard action targeting a single ally within 45', and the shield lasts using standard Maintenance. Each round the shield lasts, roll a d10. Attacks against the target automatically fail if the attack roll is less than 25 + the number rolled . Additionally, the target automatically succeeds any saving throw with a DC less than 23 + the number rolled (Is the faith modifier added before or after the division by 2? EDIT:Based on your reply my understanding is "after".)

The target also receives a +3 bonus to its AC and saving throws.

Shieldings Gifts turn attacks that are blocked by the shield to your benefit in various ways. Any missed attack or successful save is considered to be blocked by the shield for these purposes. Some Gifts are based on the attack's Power. Damaging attacks should roll damage normally, with a Power equal to the rolled damage. Non-damaging spells have a Power equal to the half the spell level times the caster level. Other effects have a Power of three times the attacker's CR.
    Ear Protection 1: Suppressing Shieldx7 Damage not blocked by shield is reduced by 14.(7x1=7)
    Ear Protection 2: Elusive Shieldx3:Whenever the shield blocks an attack, the target teleports up to 15'. (2x3=6), Suppressing Shield: Damage not blocked by shield is reduced by 2.(1x1=1)
    Hydra-Bane: Reactive Shield: When an attack is blocked by the shield, the shield's target gains immunity to any damage types or descriptors used in the attack for one round per application of this option. (1x6=7), Suppressing Shield: Damage not blocked by shield is reduced by 2.(1x1=1)
    (Required Pick 4): Responsive Shield: Any attack blocked by the shield allows the shield's target to make an attack of opportunity. (1x6=7), Suppressing Shield: Damage not blocked by shield is reduced by 2.(1x1=1)
    ((Don't get any more here, was hard enough coming up with 4 DIFFERENT ones worth taking, and even then there is some waste when overlapped.))

Wardings:
    You place a ward over your allies. Activating a Warding is a standard action; you may place it on a number of targets equal to your Faith Modifier within 45'. The Warding lasts using standard Maintenance, providing the targets with a Spell Resistance of 18 - the number of targets beyond the first and Resistance 7 against all forms of energy damage (including non-standard energy types or untyped energy damage) (Does this nerf healing from clerical spells on the targets? EDIT: Answer = No.). This Spell Resistance may be raised or lowered selectively to allow beneficial effects(See previous, I would expand this to energy, just to be most clear.).

Wardings Gifts provide targets with resistance or immunity to various types of effects for as long as the ward lasts.
    Gifts:
    Protection From Well-meaning Arcanists: Ward Against Spellsx2:Immune to two spells(2x3=6), Ward Against Fear (1x1=1)
    Physical Protection: Ward Against Weaponsx7: DR 14/-(7x1=7)
    Nasty Stuff Inbound: Ward Against Disease(3), Ward Against Poison(3), Ward Against Fear (1x1=1)
    No-Sell vs Peons: Ward Against Misfortune: The target of the ward is immune to critical hits, and does not automatically fail saves or attacks on a natural 1. Enemies do not automatically succeed on saves or attacks against it on a natural 20. It may also reroll one d20 roll per round while the ward lasts. (1x5=5), Ward Against Weaponsx2: DR 4/-(2x1=2)
    (Free Pick 2)Bane of the True-Foe: Ward Against Alignments: Choose an alignment component. The target of the ward is immune to pure aligned damage of that alignment, pure divine power from spells cast by a caster of that alignment, the spell-like abilities of Outsiders with that alignment subtype, and any spells with that alignment as a descriptor. (1x6=6), Ward Against Fear (1x1=1)
    (Free Pick 3)See The Truth: Ward Against Illusion: The target of the ward gains True Seeing.(1x7=7)
    (Free Pick 4)Sactuary of the Faithful: Ward Against Violence: Each attack an opponent makes that targets or includes the warded character requires a Will save from the attacker; if the save fails, it foregoes the action, wasting it to no effect. Opponents who the target attacked since their last turn get a +5 bonus to the save. If the target attacked them successfully, the bonus increases to +10.(1x7=7)
    Well, I still have 10 gifts to design: 7 locked to specific Rites, and 3 more distributed. May still want to double-check them, and consider if I should move one of the free picks to Blessings from Wardings.
    I'm tired, and really should start writing a backstory for the other campaign I am joining, since it will probably be starting sooner than this one, and that is the only step I have left to do for that other character.

Here are my oaths, mostly for my own reference:
    Oath of the Warrior:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are the sword of your church, the fist of your god. You have sworn to vanquish the enemies of your faith and accept all challenges. Victory in battle is what drives you, and you would sooner be a corpse than a coward. This Oath is mutually exclusive with the Oath of the Pacifist.

While your Aura is active, enemies treat squares within its radius as difficult terrain while moving away from you. Enemies within your Aura also take a penalty equal to your class level on any checks to avoid attacks of opportunity, and lose the benefit of any abilities that allow them to avoid certain types of attacks of opportunity. Opponents must make a Will save to leave the area of your Aura; a failure immediately ends their movement for the current turn.

• Gain Faith: Whenever you drop a challenging opponent.
    • Refresh Faith: Whenever you get a challenging opponent to surrender or flee from you.
    • Gain Piety: Whenever you win what would normally be considered a challenging encounter in fewer than three rounds. You also gain Piety if the DM deems you have overcome a vastly superior foe.
    • Lose Faith: If your movement for the round takes you further away from all allies and all enemies active in the current battle.
    • Degrade Faith: If you surrender or flee a fight, or refuse a legitimate and reasonable challenge (a challenge is never considered reasonable for this purpose if it puts you at a handicap - true warriors are not afraid to face their enemies at full strength!)
    • Lose Piety: If you are taken prisoner. You also lose Piety if the DM deems you have been defeated by a vastly inferior opponent.

Oath of the Survivor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've sworn to serve your deity to the best of your ability - and being dead rather impairs that. This is not to say you are a coward; while avoiding danger is well and good, it's facing and surviving it that reinforces your self-confidence. However, you also don't seek danger out, as that would go against the entire point. This Oath is mutually exclusive with the Oath of the Martyr.

While your Aura is active, opponents find it more difficult to move towards you. Opponents whose movements bring them closer to you than they began (regardless of whether or not they are actually intending to approach you) treat all squares in your Aura as difficult terrain and provoke attacks of opportunity from either leaving or entering threatened squares (both cases are still considered attacks of opportunity for "movement", so an enemy who leaves a threatened square to enter another won't provoke twice, nor will it provoke multiple times for entering multiple threatened squares). Opponents must make a Will save to enter the area of your Aura; a failure immediately ends their movement for the current turn (opponents already in the aura do not need to save unless they leave and subsequently reenter).

• Gain Faith: Any time a challenging opponent targets or affects you with an offensive action on its turn while you are below half your normal maximum hit points (this only triggers once per opponent, regardless of how many attacks it makes).
    • Refresh Faith: If you stabilize while dying, start a turn at exactly one hit point, or roll a natural 20 on a saving throw against an effect that would otherwise instantly kill you.
    • Gain Piety: If you win a challenging battle and did not end any turn below your maximum hit points or suffering from a negative effect; however, you must actively contribute to the battle (you can't simply flee, hide, or otherwise avoid the combat). You also gain Piety if the DM deems you have managed to survive a situation that should have killed you.
    • Lose Faith: If you provoke an attack of opportunity or readied attack.
    • Degrade Faith: If you actively initiate a challenging combat or other dangerous encounter (fighting back once attacked or joining in once your allies attack is okay, but you cannot be the one to start hostilities).
    • Lose Piety: If you directly harm yourself. You also lose Piety if your DM deems you have intentionally put yourself in serious danger.

Regarding the "Lose Piety" for Oath of the Survivor. Does it count even if by directly harming myself while in a safe location I actually reduce the danger to myself, and I cure myself of all the effects within a few rounds? What about if the both of the previous is true, and the harm has no mechanical effect? In a few levels I may have reason to drain half the amount of blood it would take to cause me a single point of constitution damage into a cup or bowl, and give it to an intelligent Deathless to drink. I could then throw a Lesser Restoration on myself, just for the sake of argument. I have ways I could work around that maybe, but that would be the best way to RP the situation.

EDIT: I think I might like to switch deities from Heronius to Allurehn (the racial deity of the Mepholk). She's about hearth, home, and family... but also a bit into eugenics, both in gentle ways, and in "Justifiable Genocide of Racially Evil Creatures" sorts of ways (Noting that she would consider the 1 in 100,000 exceptions to be TREASURES to be defended to the last drop of blood).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #5

Sweetness, we're live!

I'm calling Silver as my color.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    Sweetness, we're live!

I'm calling Silver as my color.
    Might be a bit hard to read... not horrible, but definitely noticeably below average. I think I will try Dim Grey, for death, unless you want it or it is too close.

Players:
    Can we assume that I have made my proposals about "Things we maybe should try before we leave the summit." IC before campaign start so we can avoid repetition? Because I think that is a good place to start (indeed, it is the only thing I can think of to do at the post-summit).

Unless Martin Morgan (my character) had prior arrangements with Muk Kranith (AEtherforge) or an NPC for transportation in the multi-ton range, we can assume that Big Bertha is blockading the front door to either my house or my workshop, whichever it would do more good in preventing theft as.

EDIT: Or, since we haven't gotten to that IC yet, we can just skip over that with "Martin explains his ideas." when we reach that point in the conversation.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-04-11 at 10:51 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #7

@DracoDei: Your second IC sentence isn't colored in the IC thread.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

@DracoDei: Your second IC sentence isn't colored in the IC thread.
    Thanks, fixed.
    Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Thanks, fixed.
    Welcome.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I hope this won't happen too often, but I know it'll happen.

Piety has been reduced from 2*Devotion + 1/2 Faith Modifier to Devotion + 1/2 Faith Modifier.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

That shouldn't have any cascading effects, should it?
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I don't believe so, should just reduce resources a bit.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    Well, I hope this won't happen too often, but I know it'll happen.

Piety has been reduced from 2*Devotion + 1/2 Faith Modifier to Devotion + 1/2 Faith Modifier.
    Was there some reason for this, or just a minor revision?
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Just put more thought into it, seemed too high as it was, especially at the lower levels.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Quellian-dyrae View Post
    Just put more thought into it, seemed too high as it was, especially at the lower levels.
    Understandable.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

In that case I don't think Devotion is worth 3 background points anymore...

This sentence is false.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I'm thinking the additional Rite, and additional Gift per Rite, keeps it competitive. On a related topic though, if/when I do make changes to the Faithful class during the game, you're welcome to revise your build if you want to.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

18. - Top - End - #18

In that case I'll propably exchange 1 point of devotion for 2 skill points and BAB upgrade.

EDIT:
    Just realized I've never exactly detailed my Dragon Companion.
    Her name is Elaine.
    She usually uses a dwarven female form when in vicinity of cities and settlements, changing into a Dragon whenever we feel like we could be in combat soon.

How does clothing work when using alternate form? Since technically, when she changes into a dragon her clothes would fall to the ground since they're not usable by dragon, and when she changes back she'd be naked...

I'm thinking of having Quick Draw and Effecient Quiver, so that I could draw 8 Large Greatswords as free actions, drop them to the ground as free actions and then use AEther Launch to deal about 24d6 damage in a turn.
    Last edited by Dunkoro; 2013-04-12 at 08:15 AM.

This sentence is false.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I hope I don't turn out hopeless with my ability to power-game the cleric side of things, including the minion-commanding (including summoning).

The emphasis on numbers has me worried since a lot of mine don't seem very high to me. I may lack the proper sense of scale.

Worried about my character himself.

Big Bertha can do Engulf, since +12 melee doesn't strike me as that great for a non-touch attack... I suppose that DC 25 on the reflex save is plenty high enough, ditto for the save to cause fatigue once she actually makes contact. Not sure if even boosted her speed will be high enough, due to the partial actions only thing. Her grapple check (to hold on to them) isn't so great either due to low strength partially offsetting the size bonuses.

Bouncy Ball of JUSTICE! OTOH, can hit just fine, but I'm not sure that a DC 19 fortitude save is very useful even if the effect is pretty nice (1d10+5 strength damage), and the bull-rush doesn't seem like it will help much either. It only over-runs (and thus knocks prone) Small and smaller stuff. I suppose that if the strength damage does go through then it makes the maneuver more effective but, again, the maneuver is pretty weaksauce for anything medium or larger.

Everything else is, I predict, either utility(the Hearts and Rolling Eyes) or a too-small glass cannon (the Spinning-Horizon Inner Ears and Hopping Stomachs).

EDIT: Will be re-reading THIS and maybe THIS.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-04-12 at 03:25 PM.
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be more worried about being too strong rather than not strong enough . Minions are inherently powerful as long as the minions are reasonably level-appropriate. At a bare minimum, they're moving sacks of hit points that you can stick in the way of your enemies.

Bertha is slow, more a mobile wall than anything, which will be pretty obvious to intelligent opponents. Still, Engulf can be powerful, keeping foes out of the fight with a really tough save (at this level) to resist. You guys pretty much all took Soul Grace (can't say as I blame you), so your saves are comparatively high. Melee enemies would have real trouble with Bertha around, because if they try and engage you guys, Bertha will be close enough to engulf.

BBoJ is perhaps even more of a concern. Any time I see a minion with a higher CR than its summoner, it raises a red flag. A DC 19 Fortitude save isn't bad at all at eighth level (Martin's own saves are DC 19, and again, excepting Larael, you guys all have good saves for your level), and 1d10+5 Strength damage is a solid debuff, and 2-3 hits will drop most foes (one hit, for weaker enemies). And it's a touch attack, and it works on a Bull Rush, if you want extra battlefield control (push them into Bertha's range?)

'Course, we'll need to see how it plays out. That's just my basic analysis. Kinda wish I could send a necromancer with a bunch of minions in to free-for-all it, but interestingly enough, Fat Globs and Muscle Masses are kinda weak against other undead, due to immunities (although Engulf is still effective). It may wind up that a wise course will be making Organ Undead harder to animate/control, but we'll see.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

21. - Top - End - #21

So...who's going to talk to the fiends?
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding "Are my numbers big enough":
    Ok, I won't worry too much.

Regarding BBoJ's CR... getting the CR's right is a major reason I am play-testing this.

We will see how it plays out, and if we need to I can do one or more of the following:
    1. Change "Easily Controlled" (the special ability of Big Bertha that makes her count as 8 HD for purposes of control pools) from 1/4 actual to 1/3 actual.
    2. Give Muscle Masses a turn resistance, which, because of the [Organ Undead] subtype will raise their HD for purposes of control pools.

In either case I would probably use the savings on fat/meat to upgrade BBoJs armor, at least as far as Masterwork Studded Leather. If the savings get very big, that might turn out to be Studded Leather +1.

In any case that makes me feel better about the Ear. DC 15 isn't horrible compared to DC 19. I recognized that DC 19 would be the max that my character could throw, but he is far from specialized in offensive spells.

Come to that I may do one or both of those things before we actually hit our first combat.

Regarding Who Talks to the Fiends:
    IC I got:
    Diplomacy +11 (not great for level 8, but not horrible)
    Sense Motive +4 (Yeah, going to need a partner for this part)
    Knowledge(Religion) +10 (might be relevant, again, not great, but not horrible)
    Knowledge(The Planes) +9 (ditto)
    I also have intimidate, but I don't think that even "How is it going to look if Initos falls and you could have stopped it?" is a good play here.

OOC:
    Well, I have some thoughts planned out, but my RL social skills are a bit lacking... then again, that may not apply to Roleplaying since I seem to earn the "best roleplayer at the table" award a fair percentage of the games I play at Dragon Con.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-04-12 at 11:55 PM.
    Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #23

As for social skills:
    Bluff: 10
    Diplomacy: 10
    Intimidate: 10
    Knowledge[Arcana]: 13
    Knowledge[Planes]: 13
    Knowledge[Religion]: 13
    Perception: 19
    Sense Motive: 19

I believe I'm well equipped to hold a conversation, I don't have time now to take care of it.

This sentence is false.

24. - Top - End - #24

Alton has no social skills, but I do have a +16 to four different Knowledges(Religion, Arcana, The Planes and Nature.)
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkoro View Post
    As for social skills:
    Bluff: 10
    Diplomacy: 10
    Intimidate: 10
    Knowledge[Arcana]: 13
    Knowledge[Planes]: 13
    Knowledge[Religion]: 13
    Perception: 19
    Sense Motive: 19

I believe I'm well equipped to hold a conversation, I don't have time now to take care of it.
    Great, you talk to the Demon, I'll have a go at the Cornugon(Devil = Lawful Evil), and then we both go talk to the Imp(Also a Devil)?

If so, you want a bodyguard (EDIT: Meaning the Psion/Warblade), just in case?

Q-D:
    Have I overestimated how quickly people are leaving?
    Also, from a genre-savvy (or IC paranoid) POV both Nirkutahl and maybe even Ezzit sound like they MIGHT actually be on the side of the Eternals. Is that "Almost certainly not" or "That is so outlandish, your character wouldn't even think of it"?

EDIT:
    Alton has no social skills, but I do have a +16 to four different Knowledges(Religion, Arcana, The Planes and Nature.)
    Great, you are with me then probably. I haven't got any Arcana, and we might need that to get the most out of mister "Mysterious Ritual Master, who is Evil". My Spellcraft is lackluster, but it may have to do.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-04-13 at 12:22 AM.
    Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Have I overestimated how quickly people are leaving?
    Also, from a genre-savvy (or IC paranoid) POV both Nirkutahl and maybe even Ezzit sound like they MIGHT actually be on the side of the Eternals. Is that "Almost certainly not" or "That is so outlandish, your character wouldn't even think of it"?
    There's wrapping up and such to do, so you have some time to go around and talk with people.

What your characters speculate is up to you. As far as the possibility of fiends being on the side of the Eternals...

Knowledge (The Planes) DC 20:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devils are pretty much ideologically opposed to the Eternals, for the simple fact that whatever else they may be, their return is massively destabilizing the status-quo, and their rising to power would do so even worse.

For demons...it's more complex. The demons don't have anything in particular against the Eternals, but they have no reason to like or trust them either. That said, it's a matter of pragmatism. The gods won it last time, and there's no reason to assume they wouldn't again. More importantly, the Chaotic Evil gods are just as opposed to the Eternals as the Lawful Good ones, and all of the planes are banding together against them - the demons might be able to go toe to toe with the devils, but all the planes and gods together? They'd be crushed. So when it comes to gods versus Eternals, demons cast their lot in with the former. If the situation was such where it appeared the Eternals had the advantage, they'd change sides without qualm, but that doesn't mean they're sympathetic to the Eternal's cause or feel any kinship with them, they just want to be on the winning side.

Now, importantly, the demons would relish actual all-out war between the gods and the Eternals. That'd be conflict on a cosmic scale that would make the Blood War look like a border skirmish. Actively working towards such a goal in the current state of planar politics would be suicide, though. So, basically, you can expect them to help - to the minimum possible extent they can get away with.

As far as individual demons and devils going against the grain and siding with the Eternals, sure, it's possible, but they'd be rare, and the chance that they'd be at the Summit is vanishingly small. It's worth noting, most followers of the Eternals aren't called crazy cultists purely for the humor value - they're literally insane pretty much to a one. No real reason it'd be any different among Outsiders.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling for right to open the above
    (1d20+9)[16] (not going to spend Faith before-hand)
    Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Larael has +17 to knowledge that isn't engineering or royalty and nobility. She's not a diplomat by any stretch, however.

29. - Top - End - #29

Know_Planes - (1d20+13)[30]
    Some Text to satisfy filter.

This sentence is false.

30. - Top - End - #30

Knowledge(The Planes)(1d20+16)[17]

Son of a...
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2013-04-13 at 10:25 AM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show