Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Fallout: Great Plains, a d20 Apocalypse Campaing [OOC]

Hey Everyone!

Here's the "Big 16" you have all been waiting for!

Spoiler
    Show

1. What game system are you running?

It's d20 Modern rules, and as such, that particular book is absolutely neccessary, or at least, access to a good d20 Modern SRD. Also, as the barter and trade unit system is the economy of the setting, along with some of the other rules, d20 Apocalypse would be HIGHLY reccomended. Helpful resources, but not critical, would include d20 Past and d20 Future.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be?

The Fallout Universe is the name, and this particular campaign, I have named "Fallout: Great Plains." I intend the main part of the campaign to span most of the Mid-West, to include Kansas, as far north as Montana and the Dakotas, as far west as Colorado, as far east as the Chicago area, and as far south as Texas. That said, there will be jaunts to oldie but goodie areas like the Capital Wastes and New Vegas.

As far as the timeline, the game is intended to take place a few years after the events of Fallout: New Vegas. In this campaign, it is assumed that the end of each storyline ended with the best possible "Good Karma" ending, with the notable exception of New Vegas, where Mr. House was left in charge of New Vegas, and the NCR has reached an agreement with him to use and defend the Hoover Dam, with the understanding that the outlying areas are "his" territory and he is soveriegn over them.

3. How many Players are you looking for?

The cast of players is pretty much already set as follows:

TheMightyQuinn
    Lentrax
    Blade Conduit
    arumizy
    (who still hasn't contacted me; if I don't hear back by tomorrow, I will assume arumizy has changed their mind and will bring in an Alt)
    VolLowe
    Bonaynay

Alts:
    mr1135 (assuming he's still interested; he did say he was leaning heavily against playing in a Fallout campaign)

4. What's the gaming medium?

The OotS boards with a smattering of PMs and emails as needed.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

As for the two players that have already been approved to play characters that are *not* residents of Vault 66, they will get 4d10x2 starting TU's to spend. That said, the following will not be approved equipment:

Enclave Gear
    Brotherhood of Steel Gear
    Any other gear from a technologically advanced faction
    Alien Weapons
    Plasma Weapons
    Mounts or vehicles of any kind (exception being if you *really* want a brahmin to carry around your gear...)
    A pet Mr. Handy, Robobrain, Protectoron, etc...
    Anything else too wierd or wonky
    Chems of any kind, except Stimpaks, which I'll provide stats for later.

The general rule here is to check with me first. If you happen to have a great backstory for it, you may or may not get something you want.

As for the Vault 66 residents, your starting gear will be heavily determined on your background story (see below).

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

As everybody should be level 1, this shouldn't be an issue for awhile. Once you can pick up a prestige class/advanced class, we'll discuss it. Some may or may not be available, story dependant, but like I've said before, check with me first.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

For the Vault 66 residents, human only. For the others, including the Alt, I'm willing to discuss the idea of playing a ghoul, assuming you are willing to have your character put up with the racism and bigotry associated with ghouls.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Max HP at first level, roll afterwards (minimum half the dice value).

As for stats, please use the following array:

18, 17, 16, 14, 12, 10

You are the heroes, and as such, the group is comprised of above average people in extremely above average situations, and I believe the stats should reflect this.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

We are actually going to use a...modified version of alignment. What I'd like to do is to use the Karma system, but I'm not sure how that will work out yet. Until then, we'll go with standard D&D alignments for now. There are no real penalties for changing alignments, however, other than how it affects NPC reactions and the other Players' reactions towards you, especially as your reputation grows. I'll work on it and we can play-test it once I can work out the kinks.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Sure, why not. Standard d20 Modern Rules apply.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Well, I hadn't actually thought about this one. I would hope that we are all adults (or can act like it, since I don't actually know anybody's age), and can be trusted not to cheat. That said, put your die rolls in your post, inside of spoiler tags. My very next post after this one will be an example post, so that we are all using the same format, making life easier on everyone. This formatting will include more details on how I want dice rolls to be done.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Well, for starters, most Fallout Perks can be translated into feats. If you want one of these perk/feats, we'll either try to find one that exists, or we'll work something out as far as requirements and what it does in d20 Modern translation. Other than that, I have one ruling:

Please don't be argumentative. If you disagree with a ruling of mine, that's fine. Post your disagreement in such a way as to explain why you think that ruling should be overturned (be prepared as well, if there is a ruling on it in an approved sourcebook). I am not an arbitrary dictator and will hear you out. That said, if I decide to stand by my ruling, it stands. Nobody wants a game grinding to a halt due to rules banter. Even better, post it on the OOC thread, where we can discuss it like adults. I am not someone who believes the rules are *all* black and white: there are grey areas.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

For the love of all that is holy, yes. If you are a Vault dweller, I want to know what the resulting occupation reccomendation that came from your G.O.A.T., if your parents are alive, etc...Of course, a description of Vault 66 is forthcoming, to better help you there. If you are not a vault dweller, I want to know almost everything, from where you grew up, why you left if you are from an area that is not in what was the Wichita, Kansas area, what family you have left, if any, etc...

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

It should be a good combination of both, but this really depends on the players here. This campaing, just like the games, will be open sandbox(ish). If you all want to go hunting for Deathclaws, or go scour and scavange in a ruined town, or whatever, that's fine. If you want to get involved in political and/or social intrigue, there will be opportunities for that as well.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

See item #1. If you are wanting to use something you found from a non-listed source, check with me first, and if possible, get me an electronic copy.

Now, I'm going to go post the URL for this thread back in our recruiting thread and have you all get your characters created. Speaking of which, I have absolutely NO clue as to where to find a d20 Modern or d20 Apocalypse online, fillable character sheet. If we can't all find a site we like or want to use, then I think I have a d20 Modern fillable sheet that I can email to everybody. We can get them all on some file sharing site or another or something. Any input here from you all would be great. After this is posted, I'll get the example post up.

Other Notes:

Thanks to Quinn for all of the awesome artwork!

Edit: If there is anything any of you think I forgot, please post it here, and I'll get you taken care of!
    Last edited by DungeonMaster77; 2013-04-21 at 03:06 PM.
    My Awsome Sig!
    Spoiler
    Show

The Original Narrator for the SMBG "Werewolf" game
    WEREWOLF CENTRAL
    LET CHAOS RULE: Turquoise bicycle shoe fins actualize radishes greenly!
    It's not about making money, it's about taking money; destroying the status quo. Because the status...is not quo.

Games I run: Fallout: Great Plains (Redux)

2. - Top - End - #2

Goblin

Default Re: Fallout: Great Plains, a d20 Apocalypse Campaing [OOC]

Checking in. I second what BW says about Mythweavers. I personally like their sheets. A couple of other things maybe we should try to layout party niches to kinda see where we are all going? I was going to do savant smart teen but with an engineer and a techy I figured the smart niche might be overflowing so I kinda switched to a melee (In post apocalyptic? yeah I know)/ grenadier type. hehe maybe the tech and engineer can make me some nifty bombs to throw.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

You're welcome to delete this post if you like, since I'm not technically a full-on PC, but I'll try to come up with a suitable personality that I can use to interject those lovely random broadcasts - so make sure someone's got a radio.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    [MHRPG] Breakout: IC OOC
    [Toypocalypse] Some Assembly Required IC OOC
    MHRPG Cyclops

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Checking in here.

I've never played Fallout so I am unfamiliar with the world, so I may need some guidance for an appropriate back story for being in Vault 66. I'm kind of thinking of a daredevil or gunslinger type with a military background but if there wouldn't be anything like that within this vault, I'll gladly come up with something else.

edited for grammar
    Last edited by Bonaynay; 2013-04-21 at 04:00 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaynay View Post
    Checking in here.

I've never played Fallout so I am unfamiliar with the world, so I may need some guidance for an appropriate back story for being in Vault 66. I'm kind of thinking of a daredevil type gunslinger type with a military background but if there wouldn't be anything like that within this vault, I'll gladly come up with something else.
    Play a vault guard. They're the only ones allowed to carry guns (legally anyway) aside from the Overseer and I really don't see that happening.

And I as well as I'm sure the others will happily help in the area of knowledge.

6. - Top - End - #6

Here's the example post (for the IC Thread only, in this OOC thread, it's free-form) I promised:

Character Name Goes Here Formatted Thusly
    (bold and black, like I love my cofffee!)

Any IC dialogue goes here in a color of your choice. Try to pick one unique from the other players. As GM, I'm calling "dibs" on "Green."

This is where you'd put any character actions, obvious facial expressions, character appearance, etc...

This is where you label your dice rolls (if any), and formatted so:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The actual dice roll would go here, in the spoiler tags. In addition to the actual dice roll itself, below, I would like everyone to show their math, i.e.- how they got to any modifiers, like so:

(1d20+5)[6]
    My Base attack bonus is +4
    I recieve a +1 to attack for Weapon Finesse
    Total modifier: +5

This is where you would put any relevant OOC questions, character inner thoughts you'd like to share, etc...

The idea here is that if we all use the same format, we can more easily get though encounters quickly. It may seem tedious, but once we get into the habit of doing it, it should become second nature.

If anyone is confused by this, please let me know!

BWS, I am going to say that, after the events of Fallout 3, Three Dog is a "nationally" syndicated broadcaster, unless, of course, you wish to come up with a personallity of your own! If that's the case and you get some time, shoot me a quick overview of the person "behind the voice." Not a full blown character sheet, but personality, appearance, location, etc...Don't feel obligated if you don't get time, but if you do, I'd be glad to have it!

My next post will be a description of the life of a Vault 66 resident and the Great Plains area, as applicable. As such, at this time, only arumizy and Quinn are approved to play characters not from Vault 66. I'll be putting each description inside separate spoiler tags: No cheating!

Bonaynay, I'll post a link for you to some resources that you can look at to get an idea of the world. Interestingly enough, you will probably have the most fun exploring the world. The other players who are familiar with the Fallout universe will look with wonder at your horror at your first Deathclaw encounter. Don't worry, I'll give you all the background you will need to be familiar with the game world. Truth be told, that's all the info that any of the vault dwellers will have coming out of the vault!

Edit: Crap...I'd love to get the world descriptions out there tonight, but it's 11 pm my time, and I have to work in the morning. I'll get something posted by 8 am CST tomorrow.
    Last edited by DungeonMaster77; 2013-04-21 at 04:00 PM.
    My Awsome Sig!
    Spoiler
    Show

WEREWOLF CENTRAL
    It's not about making money, it's about taking money; destroying the status quo. Because the status...is not quo.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, I'll come up with an original personality but I might wait until we get a couple posts in so I have a good handle on the atmosphere.

Good to know you're rolling out all the 1's... ;)
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

8. - Top - End - #8

Gah, I *know*, right?!

If you all didn't see my Edit above:

Edit: Crap...I'd love to get the world descriptions out there tonight, but it's 11 pm my time, and I have to work in the morning. I'll get something posted by 8 am CST tomorrow.
    My Awsome Sig!
    Spoiler
    Show

WEREWOLF CENTRAL

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonMaster77 View Post
    Bonaynay, I'll post a link for you to some resources that you can look at to get an idea of the world. Interestingly enough, you will probably have the most fun exploring the world. The other players who are familiar with the Fallout universe will look with wonder at your horror at your first Deathclaw encounter. Don't worry, I'll give you all the background you will need to be familiar with the game world. Truth be told, that's all the info that any of the vault dwellers will have coming out of the vault!

I am really liking the sound of this!

10. - Top - End - #10

Goblin

”Higgy”

”I’m gonna hit this ghoul upside the head with my baseball bat!”

Hitting Ghoul upside the head with baseball bat.

Attacking The Ghoul
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[20]
    My Base attack bonus is +0
    I recieve a +3 to attack for Str.
    Total modifier: +3
    Damage
    (88d6+4)[317]
    +4 from Str +1/2
    88d6 From Holy Bat of the Gods

Doing this to save the format and also practice.. plus who doesn’t want to swing an 88d6 baseball bat?
    p.s. Calling Blue

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Hey Bon - look up the Fallout 3 intro on YouTube (I assume New Vegas has one too) for an idea of the flavor of the setting.

I wonder if Harold could get a hold of a broadcasting station...
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

12. - Top - End - #12

Hey,

Woke up and was unable to get back to sleep. I'm not quite awake enough to get the setting info up, but I did find this:

Online Character Sheet Website

It does the calculations as long as you feed it good info, like Mythweavers, but this site is only for character sheets. Also, it gives you a unique URL for your sheet, and you can share your sheet with other specific users. I just signed up, and my user name is DM77, the campaign name is FalloutGP, and the campaign ID is 216. I signed up for Mythweaver as well, but I wasn't sure about whether or not one could share character sheets there. Anyhow, back to bed for me!
    Last edited by DungeonMaster77; 2013-04-21 at 06:38 PM.
    My Awsome Sig!
    Spoiler
    Show

WEREWOLF CENTRAL

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

EDIT::
    Turing this into the New Item / feat / whatever the heck I want Archive!

Monetary Units:
    (Money, people)
    Spoiler
    Show

Caps:
    These are metal bottlecaps, coming from NukaCola or beer. In the words, as the old currencies are practically extinct, this has become the norm.

1 TU: 10 bottlecaps.
    150 bottlecaps = 1 pound of weight.
    Spoiler
    Show

NEW ITEMS :

Spoiler
    Show

Vault 66 Jumpsuit
    PHP Code:
     Armor TypeImpromptu
     Equipment Bonus
    : +1
     Nonproficiency Bonus
    : +1
     Max Dex Bonus
    : +8
     Armor Penalty
    : -0
     Speed 
    (30'): 30 feet
     Weight: 2 lbs
     TU'
    s4
     Restriction
    : -- (Rare outside vaults
    This item is standard issue for all vault residents. The suit is blue, with yellow trim, and the vault number stenciled on the back in large print (in yellow). They are remarkably resilient, usually lasting 10 years or more before needing to be replaced.

Vault 66 Security Armor
    PHP Code:
     Armor TypeMedium Tactical
     Equipment Bonus
    : +5
     Nonproficiency Bonus
    : +2
     Max Dex Bonus
    : +3
     Armor Penalty
    : -4
     Speed 
    (30'): 25 feet
     Weight: 10 lbs
     TU'
    s14
     Restriction
    : -- (Rare outside vaults
    This is essentially a light duty vest incorporated into a Vault 66 jumpsuit, and comes equipped with a riot helmet (with full transparent face protection.

NukaCola

This tasty beverage is different than other “lesser” carbonated refreshments. It’s so absolutely refreshing (partially attributed to some of the same ingredients of a Stimpak, and some people say, Jet), consuming one heals 1d4 damage, and gives the character a 5 foot increase in base speed for an hour. Also, after drinking, the bottle cap can be pocketed as spare change!
    Weight: 1 lb, TU: 2

Spoiler
    Show

Stimpak:

This healing medicine was developed before the Great War and comes in a syringe. When used, it heals 1d10 +10 damage (anyone trained in the skill "Treat Injury" can make a check, and for every point over a DC 15, results in another point of healing; the idea that those who know how to most effectively use it gets more benefit from it). Using a Stimpak is a move action (to retrieve it and use it, which provokes an attack of opportunity), or a free action (if already held or used by one character on another) which can provoke an attack of opportunity (GM's discresion and situationally dependant).
    TU: 3

Spoiler
    Show

Med-X:

This is a military engineered medicine that reduces pain after injection (similar to morphine). Gives characters 1d10 temporary hit points, and DR 10/- vs non-lethal damage. Also grants a +4 bonus to any save or check made as a result of trauma caused by pain (one such example being checks made for massive damage). Effects last 2 hours.
    TU: 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Rad-X:

This chem was developed to stave off the efffects, if only temporarily, of radiation on one's body. For the 4 hour duration, a character who has taken Rad-X treats any radioactive area, object, exposure, etc... as one catergory lower than it is (severe becomes high, high becomes moderate, etc...). For characters still exposed to a radiation source once the duration ends must immediately take another dose, or are immediately affected by the source (as per table 4-1: Radiation Exposure; d20 Future, pg 81). The effects of Rad-X stack with the use of a Radiation Suit or NBC gear. Rad-X does nothing to combat the effects of Radiation Sickness.
    TU: 2
    Spoiler
    Show

RadAway:

This medicine is a wonder-drug for those suffering from radiation sickness. Firstly, it lessens the degree of exposure the character is suffering from, as well as stopping further Constitution damage, assuming the character is no longer being exposed to radiation. If taken while being irradiated, the character is treated as if their time of exposure were one catergory less (1 day turns to one hour, one hour to 10 minutes, etc...) as well as one situation catergory less severe. In order to gain this effect, RadAway must be taken hourly and the character cannot be exposed for longer than 24 hours at a time (this time is lengthened if Rad-X is also taken, if wearing a Radiation Suit, or NBC gear).
    TU: 40
    Spoiler
    Show

Buffout:

This substance is potent. It provides 2d6 temporary hit points, +6 Constitution, and +4 temporary Strength. A combination of potent steroids, originally purposed for soldiers on the battlefield, Buffout was found to have very specific gender-related side effects: men grew...smaller, and women became much too overly aggressive. Effects last 1d6+2 hours. Each use carries a 30% chance of becoming addicted.
    TU: 30
    Spoiler
    Show

Mentats:

Mentats were originally created, like Buffout, for the soldier at war, but this time to make them smarter. The problem was that smart troops do not a hill storm at all odds. After prolonged use, it was found that all the user wanted to do was sit around lazily, and take more Mentats. Gives the user a +8 temporary Intelligence and Wisdom bonus for 1 hour. Each use carries a 60% chance of becoming addicted.
    TU: 30
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixer:

Carried by nearly every medical doctor, this medication instantly neutralizes the effects of chem addiction, and beginning the process of reversing the negative effects of withdrawl. If no withdrawl symptoms are yet present, the shot will complete the flush of chems from the characters' systems within 1d4 hours minus a number of hours equal to the characters' Constitution modifier, for a minimum of 1 hour. If symptoms are present, however, the character must have an uninterrupted 8 hours of rest to be rid of withdrawl symptoms (see "Chem Addiction" and "Withdrawl" below for details).
    TU: 50
    Spoiler
    Show

Water Purification / Deradiation Tablets
    "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz! Oh, what a releif it is!"

These small tablets are no larger than aspirin, but thanks to their extreme potency, each one is capable of clearing impurities and radiation from a single gallon on water.
    WARNING:If ingested, seek admittance to the nearest morge immediaely!

NEW RULES:

Spoiler
    Show

Chem Addiction

Obviously, any chem addiction is bad. If a character takes a chem with a chance of addiction, the player rolls d%, and if the result is the stated percentage or less, the character is addicted to that chem. At that point, at the end of the duration of the chem, the character must make a Fortitude save DC 10 + 1 for every hour they have gone without the chem they are addicted to (additional and separate checks are made for each chem they are addicted to). If the character makes this check successfully for a 24 hour period, the character "kicks" the habit, but suffers from an emotional scar that presents itself in a -1 penalty to both Wisdom and Charisma until they can be administered with Fixer. A character under the care of a doctor who makes a successful Treat Injury check for long-term care (DC 15), can give a +1 bonus to each of these checks for each two points they exceed the DC 15 check. If they fail any checks, they begin suffering from Withdrawl.

Chem Withdrawl

Chem withdrawl is a hard thing to watch, let alone experience. The effects of withdrawl are dependant on each chem. Once the duration for the chem expires, the character loses the temporary bonuses, and then takes a penalty of the same amount of the temporary bonus they received, for a minimum of 1, at which point the character enters into a coma. They must be administered to and be given under long-term care. If they are unable to be given Fixer, they will come out of the coma in 48 hours, with the -1 Wisdom and Charisma penalties until they can get a dose of Fixer. If no long term care is available, the character suffers 1 point of temporary Constitution damage each day they go without long-term care. Once their Constitution score reaches 0, the character dies.

Ranged attacks of Opportunity
    Characters with the Point Blank Shot feat are allowed to make ranged attacks of opportunity when they are provoked. However, the character does not receive the bonuse to hit granted by the feat when making the attack of opportunity

Damaged Weapons

On the roll of a Nat 1, any weapon you use have a chance of breaking and then becomes inoperable until repaired. This reflects the unreliability of things in the outside world and not having the constant resources to keep things working as we do in RL.

Treat Injury and Stimpacks

For every point over the DC of 15 (failure just means you get the 1d10+10), you get an additional point of healing from the Stimpak in addition to the 1d10+10. For example, if he gets a result of...oh...30, you get the 1d10+10+15 in hit points healed.

Water Weight

1 quart of water weighs 1 pound. simple

NEW FEATS:

Spoiler
    Show

Little Leaguer

Always the baseball enthusiast, you were a member of the Vault baseball team! This feat gives you a +1 attack and damage using bats or clubs (similar to bats), as well as a +1 attack with thrown weapons generally of the size/shape of a baseball (grenades of most kinds, rocks, etc...). Effects stack with Weapon Finesse.

Prerequisites: Must be member of Vault Baseball team (or trained under a member of one); Weapon Finesse or Weapon Focus (baseball bat and/or club).

Markis
    Spoiler
    Show

(4d10)[4][2][4][7](17)
    x 2 = 34
    Edit - I'll have to check on the Apocalypse book, but I'm not sure how that works out with the costs of a rifle.
    Edit 2 - Alright. That shouldn't be a problem at all. Good deal. I guess I haven't checked the prices in a long time.
    Last edited by TheMightyQuinn; 2013-05-16 at 02:22 AM.
    "Not Appropriate? The TigerSaw embodies power, strength, and muderous vigilance. I can think of nothing More appropriate than a fearsome TigerSaw."

I Am A: N/G Human Monk/Sorc (3/2 Lvl)
    Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

Find out = http://www.easydamus.com/character.html
    courtesy of Easydamus

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Checkin in Ill look over the sheets asap

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Hi, everyone! I'm on my lunch break right now, will get some stuff pulled together when I get home.

Edit: How is starting wealth going to work for us Vault-Dwellers? Also, sheet so far.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2013-04-22 at 09:19 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=9204

Character name: Rainer

I've given DM77 edit permissions for my sheet in case he needs to change anything. I've filled out everything but gear/equipment since I don't know what that will be just yet.

Working on back story now.

17. - Top - End - #17

Goblin

Higgy

This is Carmichael "Higgy" Higgins, fastest man in vault 66. Little League All Star son of the coach. Partial backstory up waiting for more info on the vault from the DM.

P.S. don't ask me how they play baseball in the vault I just know they do.

18. - Top - End - #18

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for your patience. If you thought that my Alien Invasion campaign setting (at least what I gave you all) was thoroughly fleshed out, wait until you see what I have for Fallout: Great Plains!

I'm just now finishing up transcribing a host of hand-written notes (so far, over 16 pages, mostly single spaced, in a MS Word document!), and should have everything up soon.

BTW, I have NOT heard back from arumizy. I am going to check the old Recruiting Thread one more time (I haven't gotten a PM), and if I find nothing, I'm going to go invite mr1135.

Thanks for your patience!!

DM77
    My Awsome Sig!
    Spoiler
    Show

WEREWOLF CENTRAL

19. - Top - End - #19

Hey there guys,

If no one else minds, I'll be taking Dark Orange for this campaign. Unsure as to what type of build I'll be going for as of the moment, but I'll try to have a concept up by later tonight if possible.

As of this moment I'm leaning towards more of a Dedicated or Charismatic Hero.
    Last edited by mr1135; 2013-04-22 at 02:47 PM.
    Past Campaign(s)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Life Disturbed - Sandbox RP
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rickard Danton - Stoic Craftsman
    IC
    OOC

Fallout: Great Planes - D20 Mod
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elias Ravenor - Dedicated Hero
    IC
    OOC

20. - Top - End - #20

Hey Everyone!

Here it is, the world overviews. Please keep in mind that we have with us, so called "Fallout Virgins" who are/is not at all familiar with the Fallout universe. That said, PLEASE don't give away any spoilers about the world or the vaults. I want that *player* to be highly confused at the OOC ranting and swearing when the group first spots their first Deathclaw, or Enclave patrol! Spoiling anything would be akin to telling people how the first disk of Final Fantasy VII ends. Also, I'm big on "Player Knowledge vs. Character Knowledge." If your character is not from the Vault, don't read the area for the Vault, and vice versa. I am SO absoulutely excited to hear your thoughts about what I have so far.

I left some items intentionally vague for the following reasons:

1) Let you, the players, fill in some gaps so as to assist me in creating good plothooks
    2) Give me wiggle room.
    3) Plothooks exist in a vague and half-formed way. It's an open world out there...

For those interested parties: The current year is 2285.

Overall World overview (All players should read):
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Please note, that the following is a word for word (read: copy/paste) of the Fallout Universe History in the Fallout Wiki.

War. War never changes.
    -Opening line of every Fallout Game
    For most of human history, the Fallout universe and the real world shared a common timeline. However, in 1945, significant political and technological differences in the Fallout timeline set it on a different course. In 1947, the transistor was not discovered and miniaturization of electronics was neglected. Sometime before 1969, in an attempt to mitigate the influence of Communism, the United States adopts a system of 13 Commonwealths. In 1970, China fails to adopt any free market reforms and remains similar to what it was under Mao. In 1991 the USSR did not collapse.

No major international conflicts would take place until the middle of the twenty-first century. In 2052, the oil rich Middle East nations raised oil prices causing the economic collapse of many smaller nations. The European Commonwealth (analogous to the real world European Union), similarly dependent on oil imports from the Middle East, begins the Resource Wars by responding with military force. The United Nations, weakened by its inability to prevent the conflict, attempts to intervene. Many of its member nations respond by withdrawing and the UN disbands that year.

The United States, being supplied by oil from Texas and Mexico, escaped any direct impact from the European conflicts. They were, however, to have their own problems. In 2052, the Texas oil fields were exhausted, making the Americans vulnerable to their own energy shortages. In 2053, the New Plague begins to ravage the US population, causing two-hundred thousand deaths and prompting the closure of her borders. Nuclear fears grip the country when, in the same year, Tel Aviv is destroyed by a terrorist nuclear weapon and, in the following year, warring nations exchanged nuclear weapons in the Middle East. In response, the Americans begin Project Safehouse: a series of underground Vaults designed to survive nuclear war or an epidemic.

In 2059, oil resources become increasingly scarce. In order to secure the Alaskan oil fields, the United States ramps up its military presence in that state creating the Anchorage Front Line. Relations with Canada are strained as the Americans press to have their military units guard on Canadian soil to protect the Alaskan pipeline.

In 2060, the Middle East oil fields run dry. This not only ends the Resource Wars in Europe, but the European Commonwealth as well. Without a common enemy, the European nations begin fighting among each other for the remaining resources. Fossil fuels become too expensive to use in automobiles and alternatives begin to appear in the market. Advances in nuclear technology allow its use in automobile engines.

In 2066, the Resource Wars shift to the other side of the globe. China, her oil reserves exhausted and her economy near collapse, invades Alaska. America strongarms Canada into allowing troops and planes to move across Canadian territory on their way to the Alaskan theater. Relations between the neighboring countries would continue to worsen as the Americans help themselves to Canadian resources, ignoring Canadian protests. Many Americans begin referring to Canada as "Little America." Their comments do not help the situation.

In 2072, the Chinese-American war grinds on. While American power armor proves effective in localized conflicts, they are insufficient to completely dislodge the Chinese. US continues to demand more resources from Canada. When an attempt is made to sabotage the oil pipeline, the Americans (officially) begin to annex Canada. In 2076, the annexation is complete. Also that year Americans deploy the T-51b power armor to the Chinese mainland. The suits are highly effective and American troops cut a swath through Chinese territory.

In early 2077, the Americans reclaim Alaska but no armistice is signed. The American public, having been exposed to too many false alarms, largely ignore the warning sirens when the bombs begin to fall. Many Vaults are underpopulated as their doors are shut.

Vault 66
    Spoiler
    Show

Vault Overview

A Vault is a type of subterranean installation designed by a Pre-War company called Vault-Tec. Commissioned by the United States government as part of "Project Safehouse" in 2054, Vault-Tec built 122[1] vaults across the country. However, when the storm of nuclear war came in 2077, the vaults were sealed without many of their dwellers due to the "Cry Wolf" effect training drills had on the populace.

The first vault was built in Los Angeles, intended to demonstrate the viability of such a facility. The demonstration vault was built beneath the city, within its limits. Vault 112 was the last Vault to be completed, in June of 2074. Most vault locations have been forgotten or lost to time.

Each vault was designed to hold one thousand occupants at any given time, although hot-bunking was required at maximum capacity, and equipped with all facilities and supplies needed by them to survive in isolation for the designated time. According to the Vault 66 library, the life support system could work for over 900 years without failure. The facilities and supplies for Vault 66 include complete construction equipment, hydro-agricultural farms, a water purification system, defensive weaponry to equip 10 men, communication systems and surface monitors, social, and entertainment files (for total duration). Waste management was conducted by burning trash on scheduled "burning days". Larger incinerator receptacles were used for the destruction of human corpses.

Vault 66's power supply comes from a rather advanced General Atomics generator, with the ability to sustain normal power use (assuming people turn lights off when not in the room, or when not in use, etc...), for about 500 years.

All vault dwellers wear blue-and-yellow jumpsuits, although the design varied dependant somewhat on occupation, though all have the number "66" stencilied in Yellow on the back in large print. The typical vault dweller living in a properly maintained vault could expect to live an average of 92.3 years.

The Vault 66 entrance is a former ICBM (InterContinental Ballistic Missile) silo, located a few miles from what was last known as Cheney Resivoir. Nothing is knows about what the outside world is like.

Vault Layout

The Vault 66 doors are closed from the inside by a reinforced high-security door and from the outside by a massive, gear-shaped, four-foot thick vault door, which most estimate weighing about 13 tons. The vault security doors have a panel with which to be able to open the doors, but requires a security code, supposedly known only to the Overseer, decendant of the original Vault-Tec appointed leader of those dwelling in Vault 66.

The entrance level also houses the Emergency Medical Lab complete with an Auto-Doc. A vault medic was required to be present at the EML 24 hours a day. The lab had the equipment to treat nearly all injuries and illnesses, ranging from simple bruises to irradiation.

Standard pre-War design of the living quarters was that of a single room with a sanitary annex. Vault 66 has one thousand living quarters, and at maximum capacity, with a maximum of eight, minimum of four people assigned to a single living quarter, in a hot- bunking system. A standard level had 20,000 square feet of usable area.

The lights in the vaults used Simu-Sun technology, making it feel just like the outdoors, with only a fraction of a sunburn risk.

Entertainertrons were used to play holotapes, and used as a slide projector in the classroom of Vault 66, located off the Atrium.

Heart of the vault, the command center was where the overseer's seat was located. The operations center, apart from the seat of power, included the computer lab, where the water purification system was located, and an armory, where the vault's weapons, ammunitions and armor were stockpiled. A security guard was posted in the command center at all times, to ensure that the armaments were properly secured and handed out only to people possessing the proper clearance from the overseer.

Apart from that, the level also contained the computer core, housing data processing units, a library playing an important role in educating vault dwellers, a common meeting room, and the primary store room, where the most important supplies would be stored.

The Overseer's Office has a window that also overlooks the Atrium.

Vault 66 Specifics

The Overseer is the undisputed leader of Vault 66 residents and has a small "cabinet" of five advisors: The Chief of Security, the Director of Education and Entertainment, the Director of Science, the Director of Preparation, and the Good Doctor (it is believed that the title "Good Doctor" was a nickname for the first doctor in Vault 66, however, it became the title of the most experienced, and usually only, doctor). At this time, there are 650 residents in Vault 66, having had a population decline approximately 80 years ago, due to an issue with gender ratios being in favor of males at that time (approximately 75/25), but has since leveled out at the following demographics (by gender and age):

46% Male (299)
    54% Female (351)

10% of the males are ages 0-9 (30)
    35% of the males are ages 10-16 (104)
    20% of the males are ages 17-45 (60)
    35% of the males are ages 46-90 (105)

15% of the females are ages 0-9 (53)
    45% of the females are ages 10-16 (158)
    30% of the females are ages 17-45 (106)
    10% of the females are ages 46-90 (34)

All residents between the ages of 4 and 16 are required to attend schooling in the Education and Entertainment Room five days a week (for eight hours a day), one day as an intern on a rotating schedule with the different work details (so as to get an idea of the child's possible talents), with the seventh day for rest and recreation. On the occasion of each residents' 10th birthday, the Overseer (or his agent, usually one of his advisors) presents the child with his own PIPBOY3000. This device has many uses, and will be detailed later on. At the end of the year, all children who have turned 16 take the G.O.A.T. (Generalized Occupational Aptitude Test), which determines for sure, which department the child is suited to begin working in, as a productive Vault 66 resident.

VOICE OF THE GM

Below is a copy of the G.O.A.T. with the possible answers for each question. Just for fun, but partly because I may want to use the results for some future plot-hook, I want all Vault Dweller players to take it as their character would have done as a 16 year old (making the minimum age 16 years old for Vault Players, for obvious reasons). Make note of your answers to each question and PM me the results.

Spoiler
    Show

G.O.A.T.

Question 1

You are approached by a frenzied Vault scientist, who yells, "I'm going to put my quantum harmonizer in your photonic resonation chamber!" What's your response?

1. "But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity?"
    2. "Yeah? Up yours too, buddy!"
    3. Say nothing, grab a nearby pipe and hit the scientist in the head to knock him out. For all you knew, he was planning to blow up the vault
    4. Say nothing, but slip away before the scientist can continue his rant

Question 2

While working as an intern in the Clinic, a patient with a strange infection on his foot stumbles through the door. The infection is spreading at an alarming rate, but the doctor has stepped out for a while. What do you do?

1. Amputate the foot before the infection spreads
    2. Scream for help
    3. Medicate the infected area to the best of your abilities
    4. Restrain the patient, and merely observe as the infection spreads

Question 3

You discover a young boy lost in the lower levels of the Vault. He's hungry and frightened, but also appears to be in possession of stolen property. What do you do?

1. Give the boy a hug and tell him everything will be OK
    2. Confiscate the property by force, and leave him there as punishment
    3. Pick the boy's pocket to take the stolen property for yourself, and leave the boy to his fate
    4. Lead the boy to safety, then turn him over to the overseer

Question 4

Congratulations! You made one of the Vault 66 baseball teams! Which position do you prefer?

1. Pitcher
    2. Catcher
    3. Designated Hitter
    4. None, you wish the vault had a soccer team

Question 5

Your grandmother invites you to tea, but you're surprised when she gives you a pistol and orders you to kill another Vault resident. What do you do?

1. Obey your elder and kill the Vault resident with the pistol
    2. Offer your most prized possession for the resident's life.
    3. Ask granny for a minigun instead. After all, you don't want to miss
    4. Throw your tea in granny's face

Question 6

Old Mr. Abernathy has locked himself in his quarters again, and you've been ordered to get him out. How do you proceed?

1. Use a bobby pin to pick the lock on the door
    2. Trade a Vault hoodlum for his cherry bomb and blow open the lock
    3. Go to the armory, retrieve a laser pistol, and blow the lock off
    4. Walk away, and let the old coot rot

Question 7

Oh, no! You've been exposed to radiation, and a mutated hand has grown out of your stomach! What's the best course of treatment?

1. A bullet to the brain
    2. Large doses of anti-mutagen agent
    3. Prayer. Maybe God will spare you in exchange for a life of pious devotion
    4. Removal of the mutated tissue with a precision laser

Question 8

A fellow Vault 66 resident is in possession of a Grognak the Barbarian comic book, issue number 1. You want it. What's the best way to obtain it?

1. Trade the comic book for one of your own valuable possessions
    2. Steal the comic book at gunpoint
    3. Sneak into the resident's quarters, and steal the comic book from his desk
    4. Slip some knock out drops into the resident's Nuka-Cola, and take the comic book when he's unconscious

Question 9

You decide it would be fun to play a prank on your father. You enter his private restroom when no one is looking, and....

1. Loosen some bolts on some pipes. When the sink is turned on, the room will flood
    2. Put a firecracker in the toilet. That's sure to cause some chaos
    3. Break into the locked medicine cabinet and replace his high blood pressure medication with sugar pills
    4. Manipulate the power wattage on his razor, so he'll get an electric shock next time he shaves

Question 10

Who is indisputably the most important person in Vault 101: He who shelters us from the harshness of the atomic wasteland, and to whom we owe everything we have, including our lives?

1. The Overseer
    2. The Overseer
    3. The Overseer
    4. The Overseer

Once the G.O.A.T. is taken, based on the results, each person is assigned to one of the work teams/areas (working six days a week), and is expected to try and find a suitable mate amongst your age-group, and later on, procreate. At the age of 60, Vault residents are allowed to semi-retire, only being asked to work 3-4 days a week. Those venerable residents who reach the age of 85 are permitted to retire completely, and pass on stories of yesterday.

NEW ITEM:

PIPBOY 3000

Developed by RobCo Industries and worn on the left forearm, the PIPBOY 3000 is a personal device genetically coded to the person wearing it until their death, at which point the device is removed, and a Vault technician can re-calibrate it for another person (waste not, want not). It contains the following functions:

A flashlight
    A Giger counter
    A radio receiver
    A compass
    A data storage medium (note taking, mapping tool, etc...)

It's weight is negligable enough not to be counted in encumbrance, and is practically indestructable. It would require a direct hit from a full-sized nuclear weapon in order to destroy it (as in, within the initial blast zone) and is also waterproof. It is small enough to fit underneath long sleeves, though Vault-Tec jumpsuit sleeves length comes to a point just before the PIPBoy (both sleeves, for uniformity).

All your life, one expects to be born in Vault 66, and die in Vault 66. Until recently...

Notable People

The Overseer

A hard, but fair man, his name is Albert Lord. He expects obedience without question, and a proper amount of defference to his position. At the age of 60, he inherited his position after the death of his father, Johnathan Lord. His wife died during child-birth, leaving him with a strong young son, Enoch Lord.

Dr. Praeful Mehta (the Good Doctor)

A kind and gentle man who has been known to treat the worst injuries and sicknesses ever seen by any Vault 66 resident. He is aging, however, and is 90 years old, though his hands are still as steady as they were when he was 20. In addition to his duties as the Vault 66 doctor, he is the health and medical advisor to the Overseer. He has no children and has never married. It is said by the older citizens that he was in love once, with a lovely young girl, but faces turn sad and nothing more is said about it.

Dr. Jackson Brubaker

Dr. Brubaker is the cheif science advisor to the Overseer, and overseas scientific research having to do with the crops that Vault 66 produces for its residence. He is also in charge of the various maintanence technicians of the vault. He is 45, and married to Jeannine Brubaker, the Chief of Education and Entertainment. They have two children, ages 3 and 6, having gotten together later in his life.

Mrs. Jeannine Brubaker

Jennine has been the teacher for the last 5 years, when she turned 25, and the last teacher, Ms. Parrish, passed away at the ripe old age of 91. Selected for her love of children and love of knowledge, she was made the Director of Education and Entertainment, and introduced to Dr. Brubaker. The couple quickly fell in love and have since had two children. She does her best to keep things lively in the Vault, having revitalized the baseball games, poker turnaments, and movie nights to keep the residents entertained, and morale up.

Salley Smith

Salley (pronounced like Sally), is a surly and brute of a man, probably angry with his long-dead parents for giving him such a "feminine" name (he claims it's a family name). He's Chief of Security and puts up with zero shennanigans. It's assumed that without the restraining hand of the Overseer, he'd be more likely to use his nightstick than his words to resolve the few issues that occur in the Vault. He seems to be unattached to anyone, and has no children. He has nine members of his security team.

Mr. William Roberts (nicknamed "Billy Bob")

A position created only within the last few years or so, Mr. Roberts is the Chief of Preparedness. Seemingly from nowhere, a general outcry came up from the Vault 66 residents, asking the Overseer to open the Vault doors and just see what the outside world was like. It was said that if things were still bad, that they could just re-seal the Vault doors and wait another generation, but that eventually, the world around would heal, and they or some later generation, should be able to see what wonders the outside world held. The Overseer constantly refused, until nearly all of the other Vault residents were clamoring for this. The Overseer managed to calm them down, explaining that the Vault was unprepared for any such excursion, and so would appoint a Director of Preparedness to organize this. Once the Director had made the report to the Overseer that the vault was prepared with enough spare food and water for the entire vault to survive for a year, the Overseer would open the doors for a small group to venture outside and report back with their findings. Mr. Roberts is passionate about his position, encouraging everyone to conserve resources as much as possible, so that the preparations can be completed. When asked at any time, how far along the preparations were, his reply was simply that the information was confidential and that he would announce when he was ready to give the final expected report to the Overseer.

Non-Vault Players

Spoiler
    Show

The area that was once Wichita, KS has only only two real "civilized" locations, located in what was once the Northwest side of Wichita: the town of Ark River and The Zoo. Having been a good distance from the main blast zone, which was on the Southeast side of the city, where the military base and aircraft manufacturing plants were located.

Ark River

Ark River is a "walled" community (the wall made of steel beams with various scraps of sheetmetal welded on), is of decent size, having roughly 350 permanent residents. Local attractions include the actual river (from which the town was named), the primary source of energy and water (a jury-rigged hydro-electric setup), Mitchelle's Beachhouse Bar, the AllMart General Store, the second best NukaCola museum (only since a mysterious traveller with a lone dog as a companion came through, advising them that a "better one" was out east), and is home to a small contingent of Regulators, who expanded westward from the famed Capital Wastes. The town has no real ruler, general law and order enforced by the Regulators, and is more of a commune environment. The Regulators have helped them form a small militia of about 20 able-bodied residents, to defend the town from Super Mutants, Raiders, and other threats to the town. As far as settlements go, Ark River is the largest settlement within 200 miles. Residents are cautious but friendly to outsiders, usually willing to barter or sell. Slavery is not tolerated, and the last slaver come through the area was killed outright by the Regulators, and his body displayed on the outside of town, a painted sign telling everyone his crime. The former slaves were set free and given refuge in town or were given extra supplies and set free to go as they wished. The town's main "residential" area, is what was once a large ValuePlace hotel. In addition to the above, Ark River is known for a large water purification pump that provides clean, non-radiated water for the residents to drink and for bathing.

Notable Residents

John Heathersby

John is 35 years old and the Head of the local group of Regulators. He's a fair and honest man, and has no compunctions about telling new-comers to town that they'd best behave themselves "or else." He openly totes an M16A2 assault rifle slung over his shoulder, and a Colt .45 with a scope on his hip, and he's deadly with both. It's said that he used to be a member of the Brotherhood of Steel, but when asked, John refuses to answer.

Pastor Arman Reyes

He's head of the local church (though most call it a cult). He and his few followers talk about the coming of "The One." "The One" is supposed to arrive on the tail of a comet, and herald in an era of peace and prosperity for the area at large. Needless to say, other than the few people who listen to what he has to say, nobody believes him. Reyes is a slender man in his late 40's, and he and his followers abhor violence, saying that right is reserved for judgment by "The One." For a short time, he did create a small uproar when the mysterious stranger and his dog came through town, saying that he was to the far east as "The One" would be to the Great Plains. The stranger just shook his head, chuckling, and went his way.

Anton Kriegor

Anton is the jovial man who runs the AllMart, and appears to be in his early thirties (nobody knows where he came from or what his actual age is; he doesn't discuss it). Nobody is sure where he keeps getting all of his goods, but he seems to almost always be stocked with anything anybody needs. When he doesn't have it, he claims (and delivers on it!) to be able to get it within 7 days or so. He's always on the lookout for items like books, computers with intact hard drives, and the like. If anyone could, he could be called the "Founding Father" of Ark River, which seems a little impossible, since the town was founded over 50 years ago. None of the residents that have been around that long can say for sure if it was he or not that helped them build the town from scratch. Some of them say that it was more likely that it was his father, and that he looks much like him. In addition, Anton is the local technical and mechanical expert, and was the one who invented the hydro-electric mill and windmill that powers the town. He has a few assistants that help him with maintanence, general repair, and manning the AllMart. None of them even know much about him or where he gets his goods. What is known, is that he is very good friends with John Heathersby, and Heathersby says with confidence that he knows for certain that the goods are not stolen.

Ralph Mitchelle

The owner of the seedy bar called Mitchelle's Beachhouse Bar. Originally, the Regulators wanted to run him out of town and close his bar, but due to the fact that he has the only beer and liquer distillery in over 500 miles has kept him in business, and likely, alive. His establishment, in addition to being a bar, is also a brothel with three or four working girls at any given time. It's rumored he sells chems to some "select" clients and is a fencd for stolen goods, but every time the Regulators investigate these claims, or confiscate them from patrons walking out, Mitch (as he's better known) claims ignorance, and the patron says he got them out of town or from trader caravans (people caught with stolen goods are banished from the community). Thanks to a hefty amount of caps paid to Doc Orin, the girls are clean and healthy.

Dr. "Doc" Martin Orin

Doc Orin is the local town doctor, and about 35 years old. He learned his skills while serving time in the NCR and decided to move for a change of scenery. He was captured by a group of raiders on his way east, and was subsequently rescued by the Regulators. He has a gruff bedside manner, but is more than competant at his job. He's a frequent visitor to the Beachhouse Bar, and it is rumored that it's not just for house calls...

The Zoo
    This strange and unusual walled location is what was once the local zoo, and before the War, was the largest zoo in the United States. The only contact anyone has with them is when trading caravans stop by to barter for supplies, usually things like weapons and ammo in exchange for food, and even then, with a converted Robobrain robot, who refers to his “masters” as “The Keepers” and itself as “Dan.” Strange animal noises can be heard day and night inside, and nobody has attempted to scale the large reinforced concrete walls surrounding this place. Raiders that have attempted it are heard screaming in agony with another round of the strange animal-like sounds coming within, only to be followed by silence.

Other Notable Areas

The ruins of Wichita
    This area was a decent-sized city, with roughly 450,000 residents prior to the War, including outlaying towns. At this point, small bands of raiders, a troop of Super Mutants whose purpose in the area is wholly unknown, and a few people scavanging inhabit the area. Packs of wild dogs also prowl the streets at night.

The Ruins of McConnell Airfield
    This area is controlled by a Chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel. They are a smaller Chapter, with an estimated 10-20 Paladins and/or Archivists. They were left behind by Paladin Lyons on his way to the Capital Wastes, and have since heard rumors of his exploits. They seem to be more inclined to side with the Brotherhood Outcasts, however, though they haven’t had any contact with the Capitol Wastes Chapter (Lyons or the Outcasts), nor the main Chapter out west. They are content to continue searching the area for technology (hoping for something big) so as to be able to return to the chapter out west in honor. They have been known, on occasion, to trade with Regulators (whom they seem to regard as “honorable lessers”), for food and technology in exchange for less technological weapons and supplies.

Notable Residents

Paladin Shepherd
    Shepherd is a shining example of the Brotherhood of Steel. On occasion (and begrudgingly), he has agreed to work with John Heathersby in eliminating threats to both of their respective communities, usually against particularly large bands of raiders. He’s estimated to be in his late twenties and early thirties. His primary weapon seems to be a laser pistol that’s strapped to his hip at all times.

Cheney Lake
    Once one of the primary sources of fresh water for the Wichita area, as well as a popular camping ground, Cheney Lake has all but dried up, now only a fraction of its former size. As the water in the lake is too shallow for anything to live in it, it has become somewhat of a small oasis for travelling caravaners who are travelling east or west. Protected by a rotating pair of two Regulators from Ark River (using the former bait and tackle shop as their outpost), it is usually a safe area.
    Last edited by DungeonMaster77; 2013-05-03 at 04:01 AM.
    My Awsome Sig!
    Spoiler
    Show

WEREWOLF CENTRAL

21. - Top - End - #21

Very cool!

I've played the games (well, the newer ones), but I've never really known the full history of the fallout universe. Good read.

Is there any chance of getting a rough map or overhead diagram so we could get a general idea of the layout? I don't know how to do it, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see.
    "Not Appropriate? The TigerSaw embodies power, strength, and muderous vigilance. I can think of nothing More appropriate than a fearsome TigerSaw."

Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

courtesy of Easydamus

22. - Top - End - #22

...holymoly...you were not kidding when you said you had 16+ pages of backgrounds and whatnot.

I'm acquainted with the original fallouts up to 3 and its expansions, however have yet to play New Vegas. Seeing as we're much closer to that side of the USA, I'll most likely be sticking with a character from inside the vault. That way I'll save myself time from having to read things up on the internet and accidentally metagame, and also have a fresher perspective to things we encounter.

edit: Okay! Elias Ravenor will be a 22 year old medical student training to become a doctor as per recommendation by his G.O.A.T. score.
    Last edited by mr1135; 2013-04-22 at 03:02 PM.
    Past Campaign(s)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    IC
    OOC

Spoiler
    Show
    IC
    OOC

23. - Top - End - #23

Gah, I almost forgot!!

This is important enough, I needed to put it in another post instead of editing the above post:

Item 1) arumizy has not contacted me in any way, and I've sent a very nice response (no sarcasm at all intended here), advising arumizy that he/she has lost his/her place. That said, unless mr1135 chooses to be a non-vault dweller, Quinn, your guy/gal is on his/her own until you meet up with the rest of the group. Even if this is the case, it will be okay, I have a plan!

Item 2) mr1135 has confirmed with me that he is joining our happy little band!

Item 3) Speaking of characters and whatnot, I'd like everybody to have their characters fully done (including backgrounds!) by Wednesday (sorry mr1135, I think I may have told you Thursday), so I can look them all over, giving me time to work with each of you to fix/tweak them as needed, and me to give the final approval, for a start date of this Friday. Keep in mind, that I'm referring to Friday my time (which is GMT +1 until after 20 May). I have this Friday off, so I'll be using my Thursday night to help you all finalize your characters, and get the IC thread up and running with all of the relevant starting stuff there on my Friday morning, let's say...10 am my time (that's 3 am Friday morning Central Standard Time if that helps). All that said, I know some of you have posted links to your character sheets here. That's fine and well, but I want the links PM'd to me. I have a folder in my PM mail box specifically prepared for your character sheets.

Item 4) This is the big one here: Posting timeline. It's only been briefly discussed, and I know everybody has stuff in RL that they have to do (work, school, significant others, children, etc...), but I would really like a minimum of once a day. I'll post further updates as I am able to do so (more likely to happen on a weekend). Is everybody good with this?

Item 5) Have I missed anything?

Item 6) Does anybody have any questions?

mr1135 I love it. Don't forget to PM me your responses from the G.O.A.T, as every vault dweller should!

Quinn I can at least get you in the general direction, map-wise. I'm basing the locations heavily on the RL area. I think the only location you probably wouldn't be able to figure out (since you probably don't know the area) is:

For Quinn's eyes only!

Spoiler
    Show
    "Ark River" is located between a few miles west of the intersection of where I-235 west/K-96 meets I-135 North, and east of where I-235/K96 intersects with Meridian Street (which runs due north and south). As you will probably figure out, "Ark River" is located on what "was once" the Arkansas (pronounced by Kansans as "ARE-Kansas") River, on the north side of the highway. If you are having a hard time with finding that, look up the intersection of 37th Street North and Meridian. Just north of that is a wierd intersection of highway which includes I-235 N/S and K-96 E/W (which are really both the same stretch of highway through most of the city). Follow that highway East until you come to a river. The town of Ark River is located north of the highway, and I think there may be some kind of...I don't remember, factory or something on the river, but we are pretending that location was a Value Place hotel (which is actually located on the east side of I-135, I took some...artistic liberties here for convience), and pretending it's about half as far away from the highway as it is (factory turned hotel location, that is).

Cheney Resivoir is way out west of town. McConnell AFB is in the South east side of Wichita. The Zoo is located west of 21st Street North and I-235. If I'm forgetting a location let me know in spoiler tags!
    My Awsome Sig!
    Spoiler
    Show

WEREWOLF CENTRAL

24. - Top - End - #24

Item 1) No worries! While I'm sorry to have lost a bit of a hook, I'm not concerned. I think Mr1135 (heavy on the Mr...) wants to do a vault dweller, so there's that.

Item 2) mr1135 has confirmed with me that he is joining our happy little band! - Woo! welcome!

Item 3) Wednesday Character sheet pms. Got it. Deadline. That sounds reasonable to me,

Item 4) Daily Posting. I don't think I've ever done a daily game, but I can commit to it right now. It might change, come winter and different positions at work, but that's 7-8 months away.

Item 5) Have I missed anything? - Fallout, by it's very nature is a bit of a mature setting, but while things like slavery, prostitution, murder and chem use are part of the setting, I, for one, prefer dealing with them tactfully, fade to black, or whatnot. I'm not sure what your thoughts are, but it might bear covering.

Item 6) Since my character is going to be starting outside the vault, I thought it might be good to come up with a few NPC characters and interactions he may have had with the Npcs you have typed up. As long as that's acceptable, I'll come up with some ideas.

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay! I think I got it. I've never been to Wichita, so that helps. Right by Brooks Tract Park, right?
    Last edited by TheMightyQuinn; 2013-04-22 at 03:40 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Str-15
    Dex-16
    Con-13
    Int-16
    Wis-13
    Cha-18

courtesy of Easydamus

25. - Top - End - #25

Quinn (and this goes for anybody who REALLY needs to be sure to get a hold of me) please feel free to send me an email, and if you are so inclined, send me your address with it. We'll get the ball rolling on that.

As to your last question in the spoiler tags, it is exactly caddy-corner northwest of that exact location, but overlapping the location you named. It's a pretty decent sized area, with Seneca going right to the front gate and ending at the town.

Quinn makes a very good point with his take on Item 5. The Fallout universe is generally a much more mature setting than some people like/prefer in their games. That said, I want to make this perfectly clear: any decision we make on this must conform to the following:

1) Is in NO way permanent. If things, for whatever reason, get too dark, please somebody speak up (see more below)

2) Everyone must understand and agree that there may/may not be young adults (or even children, if I've heard right), hanging around this board or in our game group (again, I don't know anybody's games), and if somebody, ANYBODY is not comfortable with a "Rated M for Mature" type game, let me know IMMEDIATELY. This is a "no harm, no foul" situation.

3) As per the rules of the forum, I will adhere to them to the utmost of my ability. The last I checked, I am still (at least in some areas around these boards) a respected member, and am friends with several Moderators. Board rules for content apply

4) That said, what I honestly prefer is that the players are the "heroes" and therefore the "good guys/gals." This enables me to have the NPCs good, or morally ambiguous (I actually already have somebody in this grey area), and the villains be truly worthy of that name, and worthy to be reviled.

If, for ANY reason, you wish this to stay PG-13 (let's be honest here, that's the best rating any RPG involving combat and such in this setting would get), and you are afraid of being labeled or whatever, PLEASE do NOT hesitate to send me a PM or an email telling me so at ANY time. For those of you not familiar with the Fallout universe, Quinn's description (and actually, some things I've already described), is very accurate. I will dial things back if that is the case, and I'd hope that if I came out with this announcement, nobody would be willing to quit for that reason. The last thing I want is for somebody to get offended over the content/rating of the game and dropping without giving me a chance to correct it. As it is, even if everyone agrees that we will play this game in the rating of the series (especially Fallout 3 and New Vegas), I'll still have to "toe the line" to ensure compliance with the forum rules, and I'll probably be checking with my Mod buddies to make sure I don't accidentally cross it. THAT said, I've seen some pretty graphic Vampire (Masquerade), and even a few games incorporating the old D&D 3.0 "Book of Vile Darkness" rulebook, so we should be safe.

Again, I CANNOT stress this enough: if you want something a little less mature, rating-wise, PLEASE contact me, either posting here, or sending me an email or PM.

Okay...now that the serious stuff has been addressed!

I got the G.O.A.T. results back from only one player. Let's see the rest in my inbox, and it can be in the same email you send me your character link in.

Thanks,

DM77

EDIT: As all good posters of this forum should do in this situation, I have checked out the forum posting rules. That said, nothing that comes up in the game should be an issue, but if a Moderator reads this and has ANYTHING to add, PLEASE DO! Sure, bad guys will do bad things, and players may have a hard time trying to figure out what to do with a good guy doing bad things because of some misguided attempt to do good. Yes, "chems" will be a factor in the game, and the rules for a character using them, and thereby becoming addicted will apply (as well as coming across NPC's with chem additions). Yes, there is a brothel in what will likely be the first settlement outside of the vault that the group ends up in, but what goes on in the back rooms behind the bar area (aside from engaging in plutonic conversation), will be left out (no "Nora Roberts"-esque descriptions). Yes, as in all RPG's and even Rich's own comic, there will be violence (to include murder by villainous NPCs), and I will describe combat, albeit not in an such an overly graphic manner to be uncouth or inappropriate. Yes, slavery will be in existence, however, in all but the worst areas, it is frowned upon at best, and punishable by death at worst. Once you all get to the first real settlement, you'll get the idea on this topic.
    At no time will there be graphic descriptions of nudity, chem use, etc...

Example:

Spoiler
    Show

This is off the top of my head, and describing the last part of a combat encounter and leading to a scene.

John fires off the last round into the Slaver, hitting him squarely in the gut, a look of surprise at his own defeat spreading over his face as he falls to the ground.

The terrified slaves are huddled into a corner. You notice that those that are wearing clothing have only threadbare rags on. Those that are not are obviously suffering from exposure in one manner or another.

Then, without any warning, bursting from the door in the back of the room, comes a raider with a spiky mohawk hairdo, the badlands armor typical for the raiders of this area, holding aloft a bloody machete. Screaming with a terrible rage, his blood-shot eyes wide, he lunges at the group!

Here I ask for a couple of spot checks. Those that make the check get a Knowledge: Medicine or some such, check...I don't have my books out. Anyways, one of you makes that check.

The rage-filled screaming, the bloodshot eyes, this raider is obviously a frequent user of the chem known as Jet! This gives him a [insert temporary stat buff the raider gets that I haven't posted the stats to for yet].

Anyhow, the above example is the kind of stuff you are likely to see. Depending on the weapons/armor used by either the enemy or player, the combat section may be a touch more descriptive (describing other wounds, etc...), but not much more graphic than that. Also, at the very LEAST for bosses, I am RENOWN for my epic death scenes.

I hope this clarifies anything, and unless a Mod tells me I overstepped my bounds here, I hope this calms anybody's fears about potential "Maturity Rating" issues.
    Last edited by DungeonMaster77; 2013-04-22 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Clarification after re-reading forum posting rules
    My Awsome Sig!
    Spoiler
    Show

WEREWOLF CENTRAL

26. - Top - End - #26

Haha, thanks Quinn. Personally I've always preferred more M and above typed games simply as that there are consequences to the actions that PC's take for better or for worse and that's what keeps things interesting. Nothing quite like the feeling of having something you did long ago end up being a plot point later on in the game.

On another note, it's too bad we're all so super. I know this sounds crazy, but with super stats, you end up missing out one of the most important ways to play Fallout in my opinion! As a fantastically stupid character with incredibly low Int. In the game they tone down your ability to interact with NPC's to the point where they get frustrated trying to explain things in the simplest formats to the PC, who then replies with a UH-ERRRR. Errr...UMMMM...

Low Int Dialogue - Via Youtube. It's got very very very very very little spoiler in it. Just returning a simple quest and...well someone telling you to go and get rid of some more baddies.
    Past Campaign(s)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    IC
    OOC

Spoiler
    Show
    IC
    OOC

27. - Top - End - #27

Holy crap, that was hilarious. I didn't even know that kind of dialogue option tree existed in that game!

Anyhow, there will be "M-Rated" Themes, i.e. - prostitution, chem use, etc..but again, we won't have any issues going over, on, or touching, the line.

Edit: As for being...super...well, even good players make dumb choices. I have always found the array works well, but I'd say that in this world, it's needed. Even if I was going to do a "Point Buy" I'd go with a higher point buy than "normal." Foes in this world are going to be terrible, even right out of the gate. The Vault Dweller's first or second combat scene (outside the Vault), in my opinion, will turn out great if one of them doesn't die. I've checked CR's on the stuff I want to throw at you, and even the lower level ones are only mitigated by one of the following factors: low HP, Low defense; slow movement. That's really it. And it gets WAY worse from there. I'll give you a couple much higher level examples: Super Mutant Overlord or Behemoth, Feral Ghoul Reavers, and of course: Deathclaws of any kind, size, or shape.

Any how, I know we'll all have a good time, in any case! It's now (again!) after 12:25 am, and I need to get some sleep!

DM77
    Last edited by DungeonMaster77; 2013-04-22 at 05:25 PM.
    My Awsome Sig!
    Spoiler
    Show

WEREWOLF CENTRAL

28. - Top - End - #28

Seeing as the site was down for several days, may we have a short extension DM77?
    Past Campaign(s)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    IC
    OOC

Spoiler
    Show
    IC
    OOC

29. - Top - End - #29

Yes. And I have some additional information to post to help with character generation. I get off work in about 5 hours and can get the post up in 6.
    My Awsome Sig!
    Spoiler
    Show

WEREWOLF CENTRAL

30. - Top - End - #30

Goblin

I was right in the middle of my goat test when everything went boom.... I'll have it sent in soon.