Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Goblins XI: There ARE Goblins In This Comic, Right?

Discussion of the Goblins Comic. We do it here.

Previous threads:

Goblins Thread 0
    Goblins I
    Goblins II
    GoblIIIns
    Goblins IV: Live Free or Die Horribly
    Goblins V: It's Hard-Kore!
    Goblins VI: How Many Fingers Am I Holding Up?
    Goblins VII: I'm TOTALLY Gonna Pee On This Thing!
    Goblins VIII: This Thread Contains An Unexpected Variable
    Goblins IX: For that, you shall DIE!
    Goblins X: Orcs fall, everybody dies (horribly)

Current information on Axe Of Prissan wielders:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wielders of the Axe of Prissan
    Starting with the most recent

Big Ears - Male Goblin Paladin. One of the protagonists of the story and current wielder of the axe.
    Saral Caine* - Evil Male Half Stone Giant/Half Human. Ally of Dellyn Goblinslayer and minor antagonist in the Brassmoon arc.
    Dri Featherknife - Female Human Rogue/Paladin. She was killed by Goblinslayer and Saral Caine after uncovering their plot to frame the sherrif of Brassmoon for murder.
    Flejj Hillmover - Male Dwarf. He fought Kore twice and survived. His family was not so lucky. He shaved his beard in shame.

----

Felsibeth "Soot" Blackbringer - Young Female Human Paladin. Youngest to ever wield the axe.
    Kelstride Blackbringer - Male Human Paladin. Soot's Father. Former chimney sweep. Killed by a Kobold stampede.
    Drose - Genderless Golem Paladin. Drose passed the Axe to Kelstride Blackbringer to prevent the demon imprisoned within from taking control of his body.
    Eled of the East - "Fat, over confident" Paladin. Was given the axe by Myorg.
    Mryorg* - Evil Male Ogre. Beat (but did not kill) Vilias Red in combat and took the Axe from her. Used it to cause great suffering before eventually giving it to Elad purely to make the demon contained within suffer after coming so close to freedom.
    Vilias Red* - Female Human Rogue. Was friends with Tivoth Fastfoot and took the axe after Tivoth died in battle with the intention of giving it to another Paladin.
    Tivoth Fastfoot - Male Paladin. Encountered Vilias Red looting a corpse and assumed she had murdered the man. Once he realized she was innocent, the two became friends and traveled together.

----

Kevitch Gritland* - Evil Male... formerly... Human maybe... Fighter/Wizard. Horribly mutated by an evil swamp. Killed Eldrock Cloudcry and claimed the axe as his own.
    Eldrock Cloudcry - Known in name only.

-----

Cal - Male Gnome Paladin. Egotistic gambler. Had a powerful, icy magic effect.
    Jelbin Crae - Male Human Paladin. Gave Cal the Axe willingly. Nothing else is known.

*Confirmed non-Paladin

Individual Magic Effects (IME's)
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the more frequent sources of confusion is what people are talking about when we're referring to IME's. Here is the comic's explaination of what they are. And now you know.

Shield of Wonder Effects List
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shield of Wonder page 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 3
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 4
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 5
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 6
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 7
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 8
    Spoiler
    Show

Shield of Wonder page 9
    Spoiler
    Show
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XI: There ARE Goblins In This Comic, Right?

I wonder how Thunt is going to write this one. It seems he's painted himself in a bit of a dramatic corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Damn. Reality 98 is just sad.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I wonder how Thunt is going to write this one. It seems he's painted himself in a bit of a dramatic corner.
    If it was any other zone besides the maze of many, I would agree. I mean think about it. First of all, if they lose and die, bam, they reset, just like they have done almost 2 million times already. Secondly, psimax is messing about with reality. There are so many ways that could randomly effect things as to be insane. The real problem here is, minmax pretty much cannot get out of the tower room. He could slaughter everything else there and he would still be stuck. Short of forgath or kin somehow managing to fiddle with the mechanism and being able to raise and lower it at will, he can say "kin" all he wants, it wont help anything. So here are a couple of ways this could play out without a full on reset.

1) Psimax can blow up and control matter, that means its possible for him to pull a pettigrew and give kin a silver tail or something similar. Its a permanent change for kin to adjust to, but better than missing your entire lower body.

2) Oblivion holes. Its possible for some of that dr who timey wimy type stuff to take place and totally screw around with reality, reversing things that have happened. Hell, she could dip her lower body into the oblivion hole and just erase say, a half inch or so. Pull back out, and its like she never had that part there at all. That means its possible it would be totally sealed off. Sure she would need a wheelchair or something, but she wouldnt bleed out.

3) They leave the maze and bump into kills horribly. They maul the ever loving piss out of him and use him to regrow her tail somehow. Incredibly long shot but meh.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

That's why I said dramatic corner. Using the reset feature just feels incredibly cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'm not sure it'd be fair to call a reset a Deus Ex Machina, since it's part of the world we know well enough about, but if a reset is the only solution then I'll probably quit reading. We've been waiting for what, two years now to see the GAP? I have zero patience to sit through another six months of Maze of Many (given Thunt's update schedule that might be conservative) so that they finally finish it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    So my saying is that, yes, because it's just cheap and it carries a lot of baggage. And it's severely overused.
    Here's two articles you can read, randomly found while making a web search for "rape backstory". One can easily find in the Kin/GS/Minmax plot threads many of the issues they talk about.
    To quote one of those articles.

"Itís not that writers canít or shouldnít write about rape. The problem is that itís so often done badly."

At the end of the day it all comes down to one thing, was it well written, did it have a place in the story, was the story a better crafted one for addition. What issue or trauma a writer uses in a story is meaningless. What matters is that the writer does something with it. Kin is a well defined character with multiple personality features and motivations aside from her trauma. I'm so very tired of people foisting this issue with writing as a whole onto an Thunt, an artist who is treating the matter as it deserves to be treated and doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the kind of scummy writers who would blandly throw rape into a story for laziness sake. So please, demonstrate for me how Thunt has shown Goblin Slayer to be a nice guy really, or how Thunt has portrayed Kin as "asking for it", has he minimized her or the rape is any way? Please, let me know where.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #8

Just want to say that I'm sure Kin will be ok. This entire comic is about breaking the rules of monsterness, and it's clear that the Minmax/Kin arc is about those two breaking the yuan-ti rules by falling in love.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    I'm not sure it'd be fair to call a reset a Deus Ex Machina, since it's part of the world we know well enough about, but if a reset is the only solution then I'll probably quit reading. We've been waiting for what, two years now to see the GAP? I have zero patience to sit through another six months of Maze of Many (given Thunt's update schedule that might be conservative) so that they finally finish it.
    I think a reset could be handled well, under certain circumstances.

Imagine, through whatever convoluted circumstances, that Psimax is defeated for good, but Minmax is killed in front of Kin and Forgath -- maybe Forgath dies too. Kin survives (somehow), but decides to let another team go and get the prize so that the maze resets. Through some side-effect of her contact with Psimax, when the maze resets, she still has her memory... but Minmax and Forgath don't, having died. She wakes up to see Minmax kissing Forgath and complaining about tasting his beard.

That's not-- that's not the good part. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. That's the whatever needed to get to the stuff I'd like to see. You can replace it with whatever.

There would be a montage in a strip or two where Kin -- after almost crying with happiness -- leads the other two through the dungeon, smiling the whole way. Kin opening the confusion door simply by excitedly describing what she went through in the past run. Kin grinning as she reaches her hand in the hole to open the giant door, totally freaking out Minmax and Forgath. Kin just shouting Not!Walter's name at him and releasing him.

They'd get to the tower room way before anyone else, and they'd climb up, get the right key, and get into the treasure room. All of this in the span of a week, real-time.

I think it could be really cool.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2013-05-01 at 08:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    You know, even if it DOES reset, that doesnt mean it has to stay with minmax and crew. Think about it. He is good with ending on cliffhangars. So they show up back at the start, begin to go through with the usual conversation when minmax goes, "Wait, I remember this!" Because he is wielding a weapon that cant exist or whatever the phrasing was, it is effecting reality around him enough to unlock his memories of this last run. He has his Oblivious sword with him and the memories of whats happening. At this stage we can switch back to probably dies and gang.

Or thunt could show an abbreviated rerun of the dungeon, this time using minmax's knowledge of the previous run to fly through it and be ready to ambush psimax when he shows up, expecting to be fighting a team that doesnt know what happened last time. A single panel showing them dashing through the confusion wall trap, again single panel of them just waltzing through the giant facsimile thing instead of wasting time with it. Obliterating scorpkins party because they now know what they can do. (if they even meet them since they are moving way faster this time) Then insta banishing not walter in the room of upside down trees, avoiding the whole burning issue. They basically curb stomp their way through, including using the oblivion holes to get above the tower room way ahead of schedule, grabbing the right key instead of all of them and winning. You could cover most of that in like 3-4 comics, not counting the battle with psimax.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #11

I have a theory: In another couple of comics Minmax is going to use Oblivious to kill Psimax, and alter the sword's powers to cause it to take on the retconjuring properties of the oblivion holes. So when Psimax is killed by Oblivious, he will never have existed in the first place, thus he never disintegrated Kin's tail.

Then Kin is going to realize that if Psimax never existed, then he couldn't have created the oblivion holes to infuse Oblivious with its powers in the first place. They will have to rush and grab the Jade Teapot, then jump out before the dungeon is ripped into shreds of reality by the paradox, and it will be an awesome race.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

why deal with psimax at all? Just throw him into an oblivion hole and he doesn't exist, he want pop up in the next restart and we can just flash-forward to when the group inevitibly wins.

Also i was thinking, is Minmax times it right, he might be able to use his own sword as a ladder to the sealed-off mouth on the roof. he just needs to let go of it, step onto it as it's being pulled away from under him, jump up, grab the sword again, put it under his feet, let go, jump up again, grab the sword again, lather, rinse, repeat.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

We've spent halfway past forever following them in this stupid maze. I vote for any method that gets them out of there the quickest.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the last time we saw the goblins the last 2-3 of them going into their own stupidly long maze... ahem dungeon.
    Big Ups to Vrythas for making my Avi!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toofey View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the last time we saw the goblins the last 2-3 of them going into their own stupidly long maze... ahem dungeon.
    The last time we saw the so called "main characters" was here.

On January twenty-first, 2011.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    I have a theory: In another couple of comics Minmax is going to use Oblivious to kill Psimax, and alter the sword's powers to cause it to take on the retconjuring properties of the oblivion holes. So when Psimax is killed by Oblivious, he will never have existed in the first place, thus he never disintegrated Kin's tail.

Then Kin is going to realize that if Psimax never existed, then he couldn't have created the oblivion holes to infuse Oblivious with its powers in the first place. They will have to rush and grab the Jade Teapot, then jump out before the dungeon is ripped into shreds of reality by the paradox, and it will be an awesome race.
    The way the oblivion holes appear to work is that they erase something's existence and all memories of it, but not any other consequences of its existence up to that point. So throwing Psimax into an Oblivion hole - or somehow imbuing Oblivious with the same effect and using it to kill him - would not cause Kin's tail to reappear, nor would it create any paradox.* (Of course, as others have suggested, they could simply let another team win at that point and keep attempting the Maze until they complete it with all three alive and in one piece. Well, three pieces.)

* Though I'd be curious to see how they'd rationalize the disintegration of Kin's tail, Forgath's mace, and the keys, as they would presumably be able to remember that all of those things had existed just a few minutes earlier but not that Psimax was responsible for their destruction.
    Avatar by Tom Siddell, author and artist of Gunnerkrigg Court.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

So I've kinda not been following Goblins since the end of last year. And whoa. They've motored on. I just trawled through probably about 40 pages. Guess the colourist helps keeps things moving along quickly.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    why deal with psimax at all? Just throw him into an oblivion hole and he doesn't exist, he want pop up in the next restart and we can just flash-forward to when the group inevitibly wins.

Also i was thinking, is Minmax times it right, he might be able to use his own sword as a ladder to the sealed-off mouth on the roof. he just needs to let go of it, step onto it as it's being pulled away from under him, jump up, grab the sword again, put it under his feet, let go, jump up again, grab the sword again, lather, rinse, repeat.
    Yeah but the exit is sealed off because he yanked out all the keys and tossed them through the opening before it could shut. So even if that could work, and its not likely it would since the sword DOES react to his touch, he would still hit the roof head first and not go any further. Really, at this point the only thing that I can think of that would salvage this scenario revolves around either a reset, or those oblivion holes SOMEHOW doing something due to a twist I cant think of. Kin is crippled, forgath is trapped and doesnt even have his weapon anymore, minmax is trapped a long ways away surrounded by dozens of very pissed off people.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

New post? Good.

While I've enjoyed the MoM, I'm glad to see it coming to an end. It's on the verge of dragging but hasn't crossed that line yet.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah but the exit is sealed off because he yanked out all the keys and tossed them through the opening before it could shut. So even if that could work, and its not likely it would since the sword DOES react to his touch, he would still hit the roof head first and not go any further. Really, at this point the only thing that I can think of that would salvage this scenario revolves around either a reset, or those oblivion holes SOMEHOW doing something due to a twist I cant think of. Kin is crippled, forgath is trapped and doesnt even have his weapon anymore, minmax is trapped a long ways away surrounded by dozens of very pissed off people.
    true. wouldn't be surprised if he could just force his way through those teeth by attacking them a whole lot though.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post

The Drow party (who became a Samurai, etc) are the main characters.

22. - Top - End - #22

I can't believe there's a filler page. What happens with Kin?
    Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"
    I contributed Chapter 13: "Virtual Reality Enterprise Training Use Cases"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Well, technically, it would be possible for him to try to climb down the tower and search for the corridor with the broken ceiling to get up there the same way they got up there in the first place. Not very likely to succeed, with all of the angry alternates around, not to mention probably not having any idea where that corridor might be, but it's an option.

Though I really fear Kin is not surviving this. Unless Forgath preserved some of the healing potion inside the Anymug, I don't think they have anything that could save her, and that's assuming the shock didn't kill her instantly (admittedly, for dramatic reasons it's rather unlikely it did). I'm seriously wondering if this whole "When the serpent becomes your prey..." prophecy wasn't referring to this very event - after all, chances are Kin did just fall prey to Minmax, albeit an alternate...
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    The Drow party (who became a Samurai, etc) are the main characters.
    No they aren't. It's called Goblins: Life through their eyes.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

No they aren't. It's called Goblins: Life through their eyes.
    He was goofing around.

Speaking of the Three Stooges, I assume no re-rolls and gone for good?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Speaking of the Three Stooges, I assume no re-rolls and gone for good?
    They're pointless, annoying, and unfunny.

So I'm pretty sure they'll be back.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    They're pointless, annoying, and unfunny.

So I'm pretty sure they'll be back.
    First they where stereotypically Drow, then they where stereotypically Asian (stereotype in this sense meaning this is what bad roleplayers think they should play as). So my question is...what will we see next? What other bad stereotypes do gamers stereotypically screw up?

Also, in my next game I think I'll play a drow samurai and see how fast I can make the DM pop a vein.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2013-05-02 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

All hail the new thread!

It's better, when you don't think about it. To see it written (2011, and january, nonetheless), it's painful...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

That last goblin comic, am I the only one who looks at that last panel and thinks it looks like Names' spine is in the front of his body?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have a lot of trouble seeing how this will end in a good way now.
    Minmax is distracted, giving everyone an opening to kill him. Unless those bozos he killed were the last enemies in the tower room, which I doubt.
    Kin just lost liked 70% of her body and has a gaping hole where it used to be now and is bleeding out. Unless that Healing Potion is much stronger than usualy CLW I don't see it helping. However they schlepped that around for so long now, it has to come into play eventually so ok, maybe for this.
    Forgrath just lost his Mace which includes his Holy Symbol. She he can't really do anything anymore.

So... what if the Oblivion holes destroyed some important piece of the Maze, responsible for the reset, causing them to respawn, but not completely reset. Kin still lost hair tail (though the wound is healed and she doesn't die), Minmax has his armor and weapon, Forgath ... err lost his beard, but gets the mace back (as that was brought from outside). They also have their memories still, or lash out in fury at the Counter and break it.
    Or an Oblivion Hole has been formed over the FMK's counter resulting in them to respawn with all memories intact?

Because to be honest, there's been so much Character development in this run of the Maze, that any reset without them keeping that would feel like a whole year of "Sorry, but it has all been a dream."