New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Sorcerers component substitution (Help Needed)

I don't want sorcerers to have to use spell components in my next campaign.

I need ideas on remplace the spells components for the sorcerer class.

What first came to my mind is to use the "Blood Component" system from the "Tainted Sorcerer".

But I'll like to hear other alternatives.

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Sorcerers component substitution (Help Needed)

Using the feat eshew materials is always an option. Of course, if your the DM, you can just say it, and there you go...
    If you want to know who your talking to...
    Time for slashibbity

Click here to see the many faces of Mortia...
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

The problem with eshew materials is that only works with components that have no cost.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Usually the materials with a cost have a good purpose, though.

Would you like your characters to be able to cast Clone or Trap the Soul or any potentially game-changing spell, for free, with no need for preparations whatsoever?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Nocte,
    You are the DM, correct? Well then make it a house rule that within this game/series of games sorcerers don't have to have any materials. simple as that.
    Lurker Extraordinaire

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would suggest removing all components that have no cost, and have spellcasters pay XP instead of gold for the more costly spells. I believe that the rate is 5 gp for 1 xp.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I had a thread about something similar a while back.

The beginning of the thread and the final result.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilveryCord View Post
    Usually the materials with a cost have a good purpose, though.

Would you like your characters to be able to cast Clone or Trap the Soul or any potentially game-changing spell, for free, with no need for preparations whatsoever?
    I know, that´s why the tainted sorcerer takes damage instead of the components.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    I had a thread about something similar a while back.

The beginning of the thread and the final result.
    Thats a good alternative. Thanks.

Any other possibilities?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

what about this one?

Every time a sorcerer casts a spell with components, she must make a fortitude save dc= 15 + spell level, If she fails she takes damage equal to (cost of components)/100. If she succseds she takes only half damage.

The sorcerer in this campaing may have fortitude instead of will as good save.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Closed Account

BoED states that a sacrifice of 1 XP for 5 gp's worth of material components is reasonable.

Of course, BoED's hellishly broken, so don't even get 50 ft. near it!

Don't know what you would do with foci, though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

how about making the sorcerer use magical creatures blood to power its spells? example blink would require blink dogs blood, displacement a displacer beasts blood. it may be more material components, but i kind of like the idea that the sorcerer extracts the vital fluids from a monster the party has defeated. the problem is when the sorcerer wants to cast wish, what blood would the sorc need?
    Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel

12. - Top - End - #12
    Closed Account

Pit Fiend or Efreet.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

But then you're just changing the material component from one thing to another (and even adding one where there wasn't before; wish has only a V component). The goal is to get away from material components.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    (and even adding one where there wasn't before; wish has only a V component). The goal is to get away from material components.
    oops. i thought wish required a material component. i thought that making a sorc into a blood mage would be good. imagine the party defeating some great magical beast, then the sorc extracting the beasts blood and is able to cast that beasts special ability. the wish thing was an off hand remark. wizards cast magic by using symbols of the spell (crystal rod and fur for lightning seems pretty good.), while the variant sorc uses the blood of defeated monsters to cast its spells. the variant sorc could even cast mind blast if the party defeats an illithid. maybe this could be a nice variant sorc with its own thread. the magic is in the blood and blood contains the magic of the monster
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like the sacrifice experience at 1 exp per 5 gp cost for the spells. Sorcerers cast magic as if it were an art, they put themselves into their spells instead of casting like a science, with properly measured ingredients and gestures. That fits the bill fairly well, and they should be able to cast spells without costly material components normally, as if they had the eschew material component feat.

The only spells that need an exception to the rule are those that require a piece of a person, such as clone, where the material component is wholly justified.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

oops. i thought wish required a material component. i thought that making a sorc into a blood mage would be good. imagine the party defeating some great magical beast, then the sorc extracting the beasts blood and is able to cast that beasts special ability. the wish thing was an off hand remark. wizards cast magic by using symbols of the spell (crystal rod and fur for lightning seems pretty good.), while the variant sorc uses the blood of defeated monsters to cast its spells. the variant sorc could even cast mind blast if the party defeats an illithid. maybe this could be a nice variant sorc with its own thread. the magic is in the blood and blood contains the magic of the monster
    That's sound like an interesting concept for a sorcerer prestige class.

17. - Top - End - #17

nocte, its actually a variant sorc i created. the post is already up and running. although, the ability to cast PLAs (like the illithids mindblast) would require a PrC

did i use the right name for psionic like abilities? any chance of someone converting mind blast into an arcane spell? my guess would be that it is tainted with psionic energy