Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 101
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mikhailangelo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    In spite of its cosmopolitan nature, the library of Paslaest is not a great centre of learning. Far from it in fact; the building appears as little more than a rickety shed, housing more dust and vermin than texts of note.

    The books which are present are stacked haphazardly in ostensibly random locations. Most look ancient, yet oddly uninteresting. The musty smell of pressed paper permeates the air and the natural light of an unusually sunny day appears dampened by the surroundings. Though it is morning, a candle burns on a nearby desk, causing shadows to dance around the room.

    The librarian himself appears to fit the surroundings well - sitting so still as he is, one may mistakenly believe that he is, in fact, a feature of the building itself, rather than a person. Wearing drab brown trousers with a bland grey shirt and braces the old man rests his eyes, breathing calming in synch with the 'tick tock' of the ornate Gnomish clock that adorns the fireplace mantle. The curious machine appears to be the sole item of 'luxury' in the room.

    Hearing the approach of the party, the old man sighs softly and opens his milky-white eyes. On casual observation it would appear that he is blind, however this hypothesis is challenged by his demeanour; he confidently leaps to his feet and warmly smiles at the party.

    "Ah so you all made it! Good, good! So glad. So glad. You came along to help an old duffer in need of aid! Yes! Good! So. Yes. Off to it! The cult is based in Alfstead so go stop them! Yes! Eighty-thousand? Yes!"
    Last edited by Mikhailangelo; 2013-05-04 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Fluff

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Surrounded by oxygen.

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Vladlena regards the librarian with a smirk. She's a wall of a woman, tall and thick, and she brushes a stray strand of hair from in front of her eyes.

    "Your money's good, old-timer," she says, "but cults is a funny thing to cut down. I'm sure my..." She looks around at the others gathered around her. "...buddies and I would right appreciate anything you can tell us. If you're so danged anxious to shove us out the door, we gotta know what we're up against. Right?"

    She looks down at the old man, smile fading, implying that it's not a question with more than one right answer.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll finish the char sheet this morning.
    Ja, for dei som ikkje klare stå distansen&&dei kan ikkje vær medlem av... Resistansen!&&HALLELUJA!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Immediately Thomas steps forward, shielding the old man from Vladlena. He is a man of average height with bronzed skin, and strangely orange eyes. He is currently wearing a set of beat-up banded armor, and a symbol of Torag dangles from his neck. He smiles warmly at the old man and says "Do not mind her." I look at Vladlena with irritation. Then I turn back to the old man, smiling widely. "Though I would appreciate more information.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll roll diplomacy. [roll]1d20+11[roll/]

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    My bad, trying again. (1d20+11)[27]

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mikhailangelo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    As Thomas spoke, the old man cocked his head to the side and appeared momentarily puzzled. His clouded eyes appeared unreadable though all in the party were all too aware that the man was in deep thought.

    "Ah, yes, information, yes. old Marius, he forgets himself, yes. Book is good, book tells many things."

    As he spoke, the librarian extended his hand towards a particularly tall stack of books. Effortlessly, the old man cast some kind of spell and one of the volumes flew from the pile and into his withered hands. With a beaming smile he thrust the tome towards Thomas.

    "Read book, much information! Cult is doing bad bad thing, bad bad lich knows of ascent. Knows he can't do it! But knows he can make someone else do it! He is doing it, so many follow them already! They don't know they are following bad bad lich! Poor farm boy thinks he will be a god! Very excite! But he will be puppet of lich! You must stop him! I pay well! I-"

    Before the nigh incoherent rambling of the old man could reach its crescendo another voice called out. A new figure entered the room, a tall, handsome (yet elderly) elf with wispy silver hair.

    "Oh Marius, have you been eating red meat again? You know what that does to you..."

    Frowning sadly, the librarian shook his head.
    "No red, only blue. Only blue!"

    "Oh for the last time it isn't about how you cook it, it's... Oh nevermind, we have company and they are probably far more interested in the task than your dietary habits... And insanity."

    Turning to the group, the elf smiled and bowed.

    "Apologies friends, I understand you are willing to help us in exchange for some gratitude and gold. I don't know what dear Marius has told you of so far, but I have no doubt that it is of little use. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have before you depart, I understand the task at hand is rather perilous."

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Thomas first looks at the book he was handed, trying to see the title, then looks up at Marius. "I guess my first question would be, what is the cult like?

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mikhailangelo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Thomas only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The title of the book reads "Regarding the Ascent to Godhood" by A.M Lockheed


    "They are like you and me! Well, more you!" Marius shouted excitedly. Before he could speak further, his companion waved a dismissive hand.

    "You won't get much sense out of him I'm afraid. Sorry. Everything he says is correct, yet incoherent."
    With a slight half-shrug the elf disinterestedly brushed some dust from his robe.

    "The cult is centred around a young farm boy, who they worship as their God. They believe that if they can convince enough people of his divine origin he will ascend to Godhood by dint of the power of belief and that subsequently he shall reward all who helped him achieve that status. It's a nonsense, but a nonsense with a grain of truth within, making it the most dangerous kind."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Surrounded by oxygen.

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    "Worshipping a smelly farm boy don't sound so dangerous," Vladlena says. "Sounds like nothing a good whack upside the head won't sort out PDQ. Why you got your smallclothes in a knot over 'em?"
    Last edited by Rullett; 2013-05-05 at 09:13 AM.
    Ja, for dei som ikkje klare stå distansen&&dei kan ikkje vær medlem av... Resistansen!&&HALLELUJA!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mikhailangelo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    "The boy himself isn't dangerous, though he has the potential to be, of course. It is his company that we are more concerned about. What the boy stands to gain from this is inconsequential and what his followers hope to achieve even less so. The boy's 'advisor', the mastermind of this plot, is the lich Sudoon; our greatest foe. He cannot be allowed to gain from this gambit. The role of your band is but as a cog in the wheel of the machine that will destroy his evil. But it is a vital cog. You must travel to Alfstead, where the monks and deacons of the cult have convened and expose them as the fraudsters that they are. They claim that the boy has granted the Abbot immortality as a result of his divine grace. A few staged events and false deaths were more than enough to woo the commoners. Killing the Abbot should put a dent in the cult's plans, for the moment. Then we can move onto more serious business and you can go out and spend eighty thousand hard-earned gold coins."
    Last edited by Mikhailangelo; 2013-05-05 at 09:39 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    "Um... question?" The little ratfolk's hand had been up for awhile, but with Thomas and Vladlena standing up in front of her, noone was ever going to notice it. Once her voice had managed to attract someone's attention, she continued. "What kind of defenses does this Abbott have that you would spend 80,000 gold coins on hiring adventurers to kill him instead of a few hundred to get some street thugs to lynch him?"

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mikhailangelo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    The elf shot the young Rat a look of slight disdain.

    "He doesn't get out much. He makes public announcements from the monastery walls and the like, but he never actually leaves the confines of said walls. Anyway, it's a matter of scale. I want him dead, preferably in a public fashion and I am willing to spend that kind of money to see that vision realised. If you're not interested I am sure I can find others quite easily."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    When I tell me grandchildren the tale of how I established myself in a free land... I'm leaving out the whole 'started with an assassination' bit.

    "It sounded too easy for the numbers - of both gold and adventurers - involved. I didn't want to walk into something I hadn't prepared for. That's... becoming less of an issue as you continue explaining."

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mikhailangelo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    "It is very easy for the money. That's why I... We had expected a bit more gratitude."
    The elf's voice had become cold, he appeared far less welcoming than he had previously.
    "Now, if there are no more questions, please begin your journey. It will take you around two days to reach your destination on foot and I'd rather get our greater plans set in motion sooner rather than later."
    Appearing somewhat aloof, the elf turned and made to leave.


    "Marius doesn't expect much! I'm happy you are helping!"
    The older man cried out, waving cheerfully.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to roll sense motive on the elf (1d20+10)[29]


    Thomas bows to the elf politely and say "Sorry if we offended you, but many people in this world seek to take advantage of us on a regular basis. Then he flips the pages of the book for a second. Not understanding it, even a little, he turns to the Ratfolk, and hands her the book.
    "Can you understand this? Or find it useful?"

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mikhailangelo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Thomas only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is clear that the elf is hiding something important. You do not trust him and wonder what he is holding back.


    Sebi only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The title of the book reads "Regarding the Ascent to Godhood" by A.M Lockheed

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    With a faint little shrug, Sebi flipped the book open and took a quick glance inside. She could make a couple of guesses from the title, but wanted to know whether she was holding a philosophical treatise or an instruction manual...

    "I'm guessing it's to help us understand the reason for the cult. Though how much of that we hit-beings need to know, I'm not entirely sure."

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mikhailangelo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Sebi only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glancing at the contents page you realise that the text appears to be a discussion of the power of belief and the nature of ascended gods. The chapters appear to be titled:
    The Elder Gods
    The Ascended Gods
    The Nature of Ascent
    The Possibility of Ascent
    Magnificence
    Benevolence
    Belief
    Power

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Thomas smiles at the elf, trying to look charming and says "We will be perfectly happy to help you in this. I myself am always eager to destroy servants of evil."

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to roll a diplomacy against the elf to try and make him less hostile towards us. (1d20+11)[20]


    "However," He continues. "The only way we can do this job well is if we know everything we need to. The less information we have the less likely we'll succeed."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mikhailangelo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    "Now you see that is simply not true. You know what is required, you know where the target is and you know why we wish him dead. I have no desire to hold your hand through this."

    "Marius would like to hold your hand pretty Paladin!" Marius exclaimed with glee.

    "Oh do shut up Marius. Look, I have work that needs done now and I can't spare any more time on this. I'll just give this last parting advice; most in Alfstead are already convinced of the boy's divinity and follow the cults teachings. However I do not believe that he is powerful enough to channel energy into those who purport to be his clerics. Anyone purporting to be a cleric of the boy is probably just a thug in drag. Now, if that is all?"

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Thomas sighs inwardly, says farewell, and starts to leave. He makes a special point to say goodbye to Marius, who seems friendly enough. He waits for the others before leaving entirely.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Magatsu Izanagi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Magatsu Inaba
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Shirin brushed past Thomas, Sebi, and Vladlena as she entered the library. The musty, poorly-lit, run-down shack had been something of a second (or third, or whatever) home for the young tiefling paladin; when not adventuring or practicing her martial skills, she could be found there, busy reading whatever caught her fancy. She was certainly familiar with the eccentricities of Marius the librarian, and she was perfectly willing to put up with the old gnome as long as he gave her what she needed. Right now, however, she wasn't here for recreational reading. She needed information on the Alfstead cult, and she was hoping Marius would deliver; he was the one who had put up the initial call for adventurers, after all.

    "Good morning, Marius," Shirin said. "Is that offer for adventurers to investigate that cult in Alfstead still open? I'm interested in doing my part to stop whatever it is they're planning, and I would appreciate any and all information you may have on the cult, its objectives, and its current activities."

    A brief pause as Shirin took off her haversack. "Also, while I'm here, I'd like to return these books I checked out last week." She reached around in the pack and took out a few well-worn manuals and tomes on a wide variety of subjects, which she promptly set down on a nearby desk. "So, about the info I need on that cult..."
    Last edited by Magatsu Izanagi; 2013-05-07 at 08:07 AM.
    "It's not the Wild West anymore. You can't just clean up the streets with a gun... even though sometimes, that's exactly what's needed."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Magatsu Izanagi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Magatsu Inaba
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Blast it, fudged the die roll function the first time. Here I am now, rolling Diplomacy to see if I can get something out of that addled gnome: (1d20+9)[10]
    "It's not the Wild West anymore. You can't just clean up the streets with a gun... even though sometimes, that's exactly what's needed."

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Earth

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    The door swings open yet another time, and a muscular half-naked dwarf walks though, a black, neatly kept beard hanging down to a belt of chord wrapped around his waist.

    Glancing around the somewhat crowded room he asks "Any good news?"
    Last edited by Kamakiri; 2013-05-07 at 01:21 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mikhailangelo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    "Ah Shirin, good good! How are you? How are you? Leave books in corner as always!" Marius exclaimed, appearing genuinely thrilled to see a familiar, and friendly, face.

    "You want fight cult? Is too bad - party is leaving now - they go fight. You want tea?"

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    When Thomas, Vladlena, and Sebi are a decent ways away I ask "Could we stop for a moment. I don't trust that elf at all. I think he's hiding something, and I want to see if we can find out anything more on our own about either the cult, the elf, or even Marius. What do you guys think?"

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    Sebi made her exit the way any sensible Rat or Rat-like being would when faced with an incoming dwarf: Hiding behind the Human. It was, after all, the strategy that had kept her people alive for so many generations.

    Still, just because she was hiding from the Dwarf wouldn't stop her listening on her way out.

    "The first one who came in after us, the human?" Sebi hadn't gotten enough of a look at Shirin to tell she was a Tiefling. "Seemed to know Marius, and was asking about the Cult. If we wait for her to come out again, she might be willing to go with us, and we can ask her about Marius on the way.

    Our best bet to find out about the Cult is probably by asking around in Alfstead. After all, that's where the cultists are, no?

    Can't really help you with the elf.
    "

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomePirate

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Milan, Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    "I'm willing to wait. And your probably right about just heading to Alfstead. I just have a bad feeling about all this, like we're going into a trap. You seem smart, though, so let's go with your plan. By the way have we introduced ourselves? I'm Thomas Scorn, full-time Paladin, part-time investigator."

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Earth

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    After seeing the familiarity between Marius and the human the Dwarf second guesses himself. Did I come to the right place. Maybe I got the location wrong.

    "I'm sorry if I am introducing some confusion here, but (turning to Marius) are you the one who was looking for someone to do something about a cult?"

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Mikhailangelo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    "Yes, yes, cult bad. Go kill. In Alfstead. Eighty thousand? Yes? Well, much less now, some have already left. Manage it yourself and eighty thousand. With team logical division based on part played is possible. On that, probably best go with others though, lich bad. Monks mad. Quite sad. Yes?"

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Earth

    Default Re: Credulitatis est Potentia (IC)

    "Well said, quite a mouthful. You and I will have to have a discourse on the meaning of life when I get back oldtimer."

    As the dwarf turns to leave he turns to the female human. "Will you be joining in on the hunt too miss?", and before getting a response heads back out the door.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •