Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 1130
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mage Paradox View Post
    I was looking for an eye patch last comic, and assumed Redcloak's head being out of view was the "tell" that this was an illusion. I can see why he got it, to throw readers like me, but at the same time there is no logical reason the Order would think he had an eye patch (wrong eye or not), since none of them have seen Redcloak with an eye patch, and the illusion is assumedly getting the images from the minds of the 4 members of the OOTS.

    EDIT- missed the reply. Eh, if you say so.
    If they had seen Redcloak with his eye, it would have just meant that made the assumption that he regenerated it himself. Either way is equally logical, and them assuming the eyepatch makes for a better story.


    DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

    Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

    "I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sith_Happens's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dromund Kaas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mage Paradox View Post
    EDIT- I also notice that the Giant puts Redcloak in a forcecage, and Xykon tries to Superb Dispel it, which shouldn't work (but if he hadn't been disrupted, we would have evidence for whether Superb Dispelling has a homebrew function in the comic that lets it dispel forcecage).
    Not a houserule. The Dispel seed cares not for your "can't be dispelled" clauses. In fact, it even works on (Su).
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2013-05-05 at 02:37 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    thereaper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    I didn't realize the eyepatch was on the wrong eye, but I was pretty much certain it was an illusion by the second panel. Things were just moving way too fast.

    But if things had gone on more for more than a page or so, we would have felt jipped when it turned out to be an illusion, so this was really the best way for it to go.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Holy everloving crap. Giant you brilliant bastard. I'm sorry if I'm cursing more than this forum generally allows, but... hooooooly crap.

    Also, the 'there's no way this is an illusion you foolish epileptic tree-huggers' crowd? Suck it.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    That was a neat bit of storytelling explaining how the Order is still a threat, how the Order can beat Xykon, and yet still be a fake-out. The next time they fight him, I'm willing to bet this is how it goes before complications set in.i

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Spleen_'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Internets
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Also, if I may say, it's so adorable that Roy hallucinates Xykon calling him by name. He really wants the guy to acknowledge him, doesn't he?

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    this comic also makes you wonder how much of 885 happened as well (ie when did the runes activate)

    although the party order suggests its the second to last panel in 885

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Why would Roy think that Redcloak grew his eye back? All he knows is that he had his eye poked out. Since that missing eye has no ingame effect, he probably never gave it thought again and didn't stop to consider whether Redcloak would regenerate it or not. Also, notice that not only is the eyepatch on the wrong eye, but the phylactery is wrong. Redcloak has a square shaped holy symbol now.

  9. - Top - End - #39

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    1) I went back and checked. Obviously it's the Giant's comic, and he can write whatever he wants. But we all make mistakes, and in this instance he has made a mistake. Elan, V and Durkon all see Redcloak cast disintegrate on Hinjo (a 7th level spell), so they would have known he was of a sufficiently high level to use regeneration. In addition I'm not sure what level of summoning he needed for that Kraken, but I'm thinking that would be pretty high too. EDIT- and on checking it is also level 7, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterVII.htm
    2) No, the regular rules do not allow Superb Dispelling to dispel forcecage. If Rich wants to let it work in his comic, that's his business. I am just explaining that the regular rules simply don't support it, something others have also backed up.
    Last edited by Mage Paradox; 2013-05-05 at 02:41 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Phew. For a moment there, I thought Rich had written the comic while drunk or something...
    Last edited by Chess Tyrant; 2013-05-05 at 02:41 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Started reading OOTS when it was like in it's 200-ish.

    First time ever I have an urge to tell some unrelated person about all this.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Kokomo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    I'm not sure how Redcloak's eyepatch (wrong eye/Right-Eye or not) is explained if the illusion is drawn from their memories -- perhaps were they informed of Redcloak's change in physical appearance through the Resistance-Hinjo-Order Sending network (as well as Vaarsuvius and O-chul's original accounts of how he lost it), offscreen? And if that's the case, and they should also know that Redcloak is using the new amulet, they may also be assuming that if Redcloak and Xykon were in the ziggurat at all at this point, they'd have already found the phylactery and Redcloak would have re-introduced the old amulet/phylactery back into his attire, rather than sticking with the new square one? The Order wouldn't know about the spat they had regarding that.

    These are some big jumps I'm making about the Order's knowledge, though. If it's Girard-crafted, the spell may be Epic and work in an entirely different way.

    Also, if I may say, it's so adorable that Roy hallucinates Xykon calling him by name. He really wants the guy to acknowledge him, doesn't he?
    Hah! Great catch. And his last word, at that.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Given Belkar "died" I wonder what his illusion is feeding him?

    Bob

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mage Paradox View Post
    That was a bit of a cheat. I saw Redcloak with the eye patch, and thought it might actually be real after all. Then it's an illusion, just like I speculated in advance. How can the illusion show Redcloak in a state that the order has never seen him in? I guess the Giant figured it'd take all the drama out of the fight if we knew it was an illusion all along.
    I figured that the spell is capable of gathering information from the real world, not just the stuff in the target's mind. Epic magic can probably do that.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Looks like all the people who suspected the runes were casting an illusion and that Xykon wasn't actually there were in fact correct. Very nice twist. Shame it really didn't happen though, would have been a pretty epic way to beat down Xykon for a little while(until he regenerates at his phylactery).
    Avatar is Chaos Devil Dragon from Puzzle & Dragons!

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    @ Mage Paradaox:

    The thing with superd dispelling is not that simple. The discussion about the rules it uses is ancient. The fact that for some reason the EXAMPLE of a spell called Super Dispelling listed in SRD/ELH simply states it works like Dispel Magic doesn't change two facts:

    1) It's based on the Dispel Seed which contradicts your statement and therefore
    2) It's literally IMPOSSIBLE to make a Superb Dispelling spell that doesn't dispel Forcecage without using house rules.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mage Paradox View Post
    1) I went back and checked. Obviously it's the Giant's comic, and he can write whatever he wants. But we all make mistakes, and in this instance he has made a mistake. Elan, V and Durkon all see Redcloak cast disintegrate on Hinjo (a 7th level spell), so they would have known he was of a sufficiently high level to use regeneration. In addition I'm not sure what level of summoning he needed for that Kraken, but I'm thinking that would be pretty high too. EDIT- and on checking it is also level 7, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterVII.htm
    2) No, the regular rules do not allow Superb Dispelling to dispel forcecage. If Rich wants to let it work in his comic, that's his business. I am just explaining that the regular rules simply don't support it, something others have also backed up.
    What makes you think that Roy, Elan, and Haley even have the cleric's spell list memorized in the first place? All they know is that he got his eye poked out because their friend told them so. They almost certainly don't know how an epic spell like superb dispelling would work. Considering that everything they are seeing is an illusion based on the character's perception...rules lawyering is even less useful than usual.

    There are a lot of options here. Claiming that the author made a mistake simply because it doesn't match up with your personal interpretation is obnoxious.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2013-05-05 at 02:50 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Giant in the Playground Administrator
     
    The Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mage Paradox View Post
    1) I went back and checked. Obviously it's the Giant's comic, and he can write whatever he wants. But we all make mistakes, and in this instance he has made a mistake. Elan, V and Durkon all see Redcloak cast disintegrate on Hinjo (a 7th level spell), so they would have known he was of a sufficiently high level to use regeneration. In addition I'm not sure what level of summoning he needed for that Kraken, but I'm thinking that would be pretty high too.
    First, it's a 6th level Wizard spell. Now, who, of the four characters here, do you think has enough ranks in Knowledge (Religion) to know that the spell is a higher level for clerics using it from the Destruction domain than it is for Vaarsuvius, their teammate, who uses it all the time? (Answer: None of them.)

    And second, don't tell me I made a mistake in my own comic. I could not give one good goddamn what the rules say about anything. There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one. Further, I do not care what you think is a "reasonable" assumption for them to have made. This is the assumption they DID make. Period. End of discussion.
    Rich Burlew


    Utterly Dwarfed, the sixth compilation of The Order of the Stick is now in stock. Order at Ookoodook (paper copies) or Gumroad (digital PDFs), or pick it up from your local gaming store.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Alright, the runes show the victims what they want to see. Either it takes a few rounds of perception checks to work or it gets activated by a trigger. So, in Roy's case, they stop fooling around with the LG and suddenly fight Xykon and Roy heroically takes Xykon out singlehandedly, while losing the one member of his team he both wanted and expected to die anyway.

    Haley is probably seeing a vision of Durkula being devamped then blowing the gates and thwarting Xykon before running off with Elan to shtoink like bunnies. Elan is probably seeing Roy congratulating him and finally acknowledging that they couldn't have beaten Xykon without him, before running off with Haley to shtoink like bunnies.

    Belkar is a bit tougher. He's probably getting to take out Durkon himself, then retiring at a ripe old age with the cat to enjoy more milk, woman and gold than he knows what to do with.

  20. - Top - End - #50

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ast View Post
    @ Mage Paradaox:

    The thing with superd dispelling is not that simple. The discussion about the rules it uses is ancient. The fact that for some reason the EXAMPLE of a spell called Super Dispelling listed in SRD/ELH simply states it works like Dispel Magic doesn't change two facts:

    1) It's based on the Dispel Seed which contradicts your statement and therefore
    2) It's literally IMPOSSIBLE to make a Superb Dispelling spell that doesn't dispel Forcecage without using house rules.
    That's simply not true. This post explains it well:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=94

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Wonton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Wow, I almost had a heart attack when Belkar and Xykon both died in the course of two pages. I was thinking "no way, Belkar's death deserves at least a 10-page lead-up, and Xykon's should get at least fifty!". Then I got to the last panel...

    and didn't understand what had happened, so I came to the forums and now I get it. :P

    By the way, Xykon saying Roy's name was a nice touch.

    P.S. Now that I've read it the second time, the illusion sequence gets progressively more purple-hued as the comic goes along. Subtle, but effective. Well done, Giant.

    P.P.S. Mr. Scruffy dying in the 8th panel may be the saddest thing ever.
    Last edited by Wonton; 2013-05-05 at 02:55 AM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

    Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

    Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Here.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Ha! Oh man, when I saw he had the eyepatch I was sure they were real after all, but nope! Well played, Rich. Well played.

    In retrospect, missing Blackwing should have been the giveaway. Everyone forgets about V's familiar, so of course the Order did.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2013-05-05 at 02:50 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    So is Mr Scruffy under the effects of the illusion as well?

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    The runes actually activate inbetween panels 4 and 5 of 886. Note the pallette swap at that point. So they are actually fighting Xykon, but Belkar isn't dead.

    I wonder: is Xykon under the effect of the runes too?

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Wonton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JessmanCA View Post
    The runes actually activate inbetween panels 4 and 5 of 886. Note the pallette swap at that point. So they are actually fighting Xykon, but Belkar isn't dead.

    I wonder: is Xykon under the effect of the runes too?
    It's not really a palette swap, the whole comic just gets slightly more purple-ish with each panel. Compare the colour of Roy's face in panel 6 with the colour of his face as he kills Xykon.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

    Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

    Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    rodneyAnonymous's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    empty space

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    They also think Vaarsuvius is undamaged.
    I like semi-colons; they make me feel smart.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    The eye-patch on the wrong eye was pretty brilliant. I'd never notice it without being told because I am so used to seeing sprites flipped.

    So, I guess the fake Redcloak is the true wrong-eye.

    I have to give props to the giant. While I was reading the dialogue, I had a feeling something was amiss. The illusory Xykon and Redcloak just don't have the same "voice" as the real ones. RC in particular talks just like he did in the dungeon of Dorukan, which makes since because the Order hasn't had much face-to-face contact with him since then. That didn't stop me from audibly gasping at Belkar's and then Xykno's death before the reveal.

    I'm left puzzled what the fake RC was referring to when he says that Xykon "already used that line" though.

  28. - Top - End - #58

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    What makes you think that Roy, Elan, and Haley even have the cleric's spell list memorized in the first place? All they know is that he got his eye poked out because their friend told them so. They almost certainly don't know how an epic spell like superb dispelling would work. Considering that everything they are seeing is an illusion based on the character's perception...rules lawyering is even less useful than usual.

    There are a lot of options here. Claiming that the author made a mistake simply because it doesn't match up with your personal interpretation is obnoxious.
    The Author responded to my initial remark about how it "seems like an error" by saying that the Order do not have any idea Redcloak is able to cast level 7 Cleric Spells. Redcloak has cast two level 7 Cleric spells in front of them though (one of which is in the general Cleric pool, not the Destruction Domain), so the remark the author made in response to my post technically was wrong, in the sense that the order have as much reason to think Redcloak is able to cast level 7 spells as they do to think he's missing an eye. Like I said, it's his comic, he can give whatever explanation he likes. I suspect when he wrote his reply he had simply forgotten those 2 instances.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mage Paradox View Post
    That's simply not true. This post explains it well:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=94
    It doesn't explain two things: 1) why it has correct Spellcraft DC for a Dispel Seed and 2) where is the mitigating factor for not having all the features of a Dispel Seed.

    But if you want to go that way, the rules state simply that those are only examples of spells listed that STILL need to be researched. Since by the rules of researching and creating epic spells you cannot invent a Superb Dispelling spell without all the perks of Dispel Seed and without any house ruled mitigating factors, the only Superb Dispelling spell Xykon can research is one that dispels Forcecage.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    sam79's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #886 - The Discussion Thread

    Great strip. Just...great. Before the update, I was pretty much torn on the whole Illusion/non-Illusion debate. When I say Reddie with his eyepatch, and not remembering the eye he lost, I thought, "Wow, real". Elan's song in the second panel made me doubt a little, but mostly made me laugh. When Belkar got toasted, I was still thinking it could be real, as I've long thought it will be Xykon who does for him. But when Mr. Scruffy was so causually and brutally snuffed out...then the pedulum swung. It had to be an illusion. Or at least, I was really hoping so!

    (by the way, the art in the 6th panel is awesome.)

    So when the Order started winning in the second page...yeah, pretty clear that it was not real! Great last frame.

    (by the way, in Roy's list of people he's avenging, he starts with his Dad's master, but there is no mention of his master's son. I know the list is hardly exhaustive, but even so, worth noting, I thought.)
    Last edited by sam79; 2013-05-05 at 03:05 AM.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

    Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •