Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The SUE Files, Part II

Perhaps there's so much security because the net-making machine is arguably a weapon of mass destruction, given both the pressure-wave generator and the fact that it's made of LASERS AND TESLA COILS reinforcing this.

god help me my Clarity is slipping I can't helpmyselfpleasesomeoneendme

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Colossus in the Playground

The description of the way he freaked out when you could prove to him that he'd contradicted himself almost makes me feel sorry for him. Almost.

(Then I remember what he said in Jin Down, and any possibility of feeling a trace of sympathy for him vanishes.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Mopalot View Post
    Perhaps there's so much security because the net-making machine is arguably a weapon of mass destruction, given both the pressure-wave generator and the fact that it's made of LASERS AND TESLA COILS reinforcing this.
    Now imagine the kind of machinery used to create the volleyballs...

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Now imagine the kind of machinery used to create the volleyballs...
    I can't, I couldn't pass all the required knowledge rolls.
    Last edited by Mr.Silver; 2013-09-19 at 08:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1295

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    I can't, I couldn't pass all the required knowledge rolls.
    You actually got to roll? Wow. Even having an imagination is usually reserved for level 15...16...godhood.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Henry the 57th View Post
    I just read the whole thing, and... wow.

But there's one thing I gotta know: how in all the infinite infernal hells did you manage to spend so long with this?

You say that this was the only gaming group around. Fine, so why not throw Marty out? Get a new GM? Force him to play a different game? I mean, for God's sake, bashing your head on a wall for hours sounds like a much more fulfilling, less painful use of your time than going through this. What kind of twisted hellscape did you live in that made this sound like an even remotely acceptable use of leisure time?
    DMing is very stressful when you are aware of the player's Scrutiny, and can take a while to get a good game idea. So while I had contemplated it, We had the issue of being unreliable at DMing since Trekking and I had courseloads that made GMing difficult and were worried about making mistakes. Also I am a conflict avoider (mostly) and try to find a way to resolve things without HUGE DRAMA!!11!!one.

This world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel.

Horace Walpole

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    You actually got to roll? Wow. Even having an imagination is usually reserved for level 15...16...godhood.
    I'm able to replicate a lesser version of it with a spell, although I can't cast more than about once a day and if I try to sustain it for more than 20 second I may go into a coma. Using it instead of an actual imagination also gives my rolls a -2 stress penalty, a -4 untrained penalty, a -1 visualisation penalty, a -1 concentration penalty and a -1 shaping penalty. If I want the mental image to be in 3-dimensional, then it's another -2 penalty (and I have to make an additional 'knowledge: geometry' roll).

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Pixie in the Playground

Just thought of some thread titles, The SUE files III:

Knowledge (alphabet, English, literature, computers) checks required to read this thread.

You're not a high enough level to read this thread.

Where craft (basket weaving) requires break-ins, tesla coils, and can kill you

Science is wrong

droning at 300 decibels

Our sanity has gone the way of the dolphins and Antimony.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The SUE Files, Part III: Roll SAN To Continue
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by llehctim View Post
    DMing is very stressful when you are aware of the player's Scrutiny, and can take a while to get a good game idea. So while I had contemplated it, We had the issue of being unreliable at DMing since Trekking and I had courseloads that made GMing difficult and were worried about making mistakes. Also I am a conflict avoider (mostly) and try to find a way to resolve things without HUGE DRAMA!!11!!one.
    I've DM'd before (and made plenty of mistakes, sadly) and I know how stressful it can be. But I also know that a monkey on LSD could create a superior game than Marty's. Seriously, had you guys ever heard of a good game before this? I literally cannot comprehend willingly wasting precious leisure time playing something so mind-numbingly awful. My roleplaying group would stone me if I tried half of the stuff I'm reading about.

What made you guys keep coming back to this?
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I've DM'd before (and made plenty of mistakes, sadly) and I know how stressful it can be. But I also know that a monkey on LSD could create a superior game than Marty's. Seriously, had you guys ever heard of a good game before this? I literally cannot comprehend willingly wasting precious leisure time playing something so mind-numbingly awful. My roleplaying group would stone me if I tried half of the stuff I'm reading about.

What made you guys keep coming back to this?
    Everyone with a better game quit running it because of schoolwork, and no, we hadn't, but I'm saving those games for after SUETHULU.

Really, though, the larger answer is probably...this thread. Going to our school gives you an endless capacity for nonsense and a warped sense of normalcy; Marty was far from the worst person there, and certainly considerably humbler, kinder, and more sensible than the administration, so for a while we just thought of it as par for the course. Remember, I originally posted asking what I was doing wrong. By the time everyone here pointed out how anomalously bad it was, I had a reason to stick around and see it through, and so did the others.
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2013-09-19 at 03:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    Everyone with a better game quit running it because of schoolwork, and no, we hadn't, but I'm saving those games for after SUETHULU.

Really, though, the larger answer is probably...this thread. Going to our school gives you an endless capacity for nonsense and a warped sense of normalcy; Marty was far from the worst person there, and certainly considerably humbler, kinder, and more sensible than the administration, so for a while we just thought of it as par for the course. Remember, I originally posted asking what I was doing wrong. By the time everyone here pointed out how anomalously bad it was, I had a reason to stick around and see it through, and so did the others.
    Mein Gott...

How the hell does anything so infested with megalomaniacal morons function as anything resembling a modern society? Are you secretly some kind of damned soul being punished in hell?
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

13. - Top - End - #1303

Mein Gott...

How the hell does anything so infested with megalomaniacal morons function as anything resembling a modern society? Are you secretly some kind of damned soul being punished in hell?
    It doesn't. Read the second half of this and tell me if it resembles a modern society.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mein Gott...

It does, if you see society like we do. The problem is one of declining funding mixed with a university president better at being accomplished than actually accomplishing anything, who insists on change for the sake of change until the alumni are alienated, the faculty are haunted and the students are bitterly cynical. The only thing stopping full-scale rioting is the knowledge that the only chance we have of a job that will get us out of debt is to graduate, and they have no compunction about finding a reason to expel anyone who so much as complains.

You can feel it, you know, on campus. There's this undercurrent of mutual hatred, like everyone's just waiting for you to show your human side so they know where to stick the knife. There's never enough of anything for any but the best, so you have everyone desperately insisting that they are, for whatever reason, the best -- and this is why clubs are self-congratulatory fiefdoms ruled by egomaniacs, including student government. The idea is that anything you want, you must take from someone else, because there is none for you, so get good at taking, starting with credit --and everyone else already is, especially the people pretending to be interested in you. Not many people have friends there.

EDIT: I still remember one of my freshman courses. "Look to your left. Look to your right. One in ten of you saw someone who deserves to be here."

Marty was safe. He was so self-absorbed he never tried to ruin us. That makes him a pretty good guy, by our standards.
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2013-09-19 at 04:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Troll in the Playground

....On the bright side, Trekkin is now perfectly prepared to run a game about Drow politics.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

16. - Top - End - #1306

It does, if you see society like we do. The problem is one of declining funding mixed with a university president better at being accomplished than actually accomplishing anything, who insists on change for the sake of change until the alumni are alienated, the faculty are haunted and the students are bitterly cynical. The only thing stopping full-scale rioting is the knowledge that the only chance we have of a job that will get us out of debt is to graduate, and they have no compunction about finding a reason to expel anyone who so much as complains.

You can feel it, you know, on campus. There's this undercurrent of mutual hatred, like everyone's just waiting for you to show your human side so they know where to stick the knife. There's never enough of anything for any but the best, so you have everyone desperately insisting that they are, for whatever reason, the best -- and this is why clubs are self-congratulatory fiefdoms ruled by egomaniacs, including student government. The idea is that anything you want, you must take from someone else, because there is none for you, so get good at taking, starting with credit --and everyone else already is, especially the people pretending to be interested in you. Not many people have friends there.

EDIT: I still remember one of my freshman courses. "Look to your left. Look to your right. One in ten of you saw someone who deserves to be here."

Marty was safe. He was so self-absorbed he never tried to ruin us. That makes him a pretty good guy, by our standards.
    Sigging this for being a prime example of a Chaotic Evil society in real life.

Also, if Marty not trying to ruin you made him a good guy by your standards, what would that make yourself or Jin?

And why are there positive student reviews of the school?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Bugbear in the Playground

Marty was far from the worst person there, and certainly considerably humbler, kinder, and more sensible than the administration, so for a while we just thought of it as par for the course. Remember, I originally posted asking what I was doing wrong. By the time everyone here pointed out how anomalously bad it was, I had a reason to stick around and see it through, and so did the others.
    I didn't think I'd ever hear anyone describe a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome relating to an RPG campaign, so you know...every day is a school day I guess.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by llehctim View Post
    The man thinks women get penalties to their wisdom when their boobs are damaged. This is not about DMing being stressful. This is a bad person.
    Last edited by neriana; 2013-09-19 at 06:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    And why are there positive student reviews of the school?
    Spite, maybe?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Trekkin seems to think that the school will track him down and lawsuit him if he actually says on the internet which school he attended as well as how miserable he was there/it is.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Spite, maybe?
    or perhaps schadenfreude?
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 25!

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neriana View Post
    The man thinks women get penalties to their wisdom when their boobs are damaged.
    It takes a special kind of person to decide that, in a world where mastectomies aren't uncommon, women are so defined by their breasts that injury sustained there would inflict permanent mental damage. I mean the charisma penalty - because of course there was a charisma penalty - is basic garden-variety misogyny, but that was taking it to a new level.

23. - Top - End - #1313

Basically, The Sue Files Part 3
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Orc in the Playground

The tragic part is that, under those conditions, Marty IS good people. Anybody who wouldn't stab you in the back or use you in some way is good people.

The fact that there are places in the world that train people to become like that frightens me mightily. The fact that one of the few ways out of becoming like that is to be already so self-absorbed you don't bother seeing others as a threat is, frankly, existentially... like... ugh.

I admit I'm curious as to what DMofDarkness was asking, though. If Marty's good by your standards, what're you and Jin by your standards?

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deffers View Post
    I admit I'm curious as to what DMofDarkness was asking, though. If Marty's good by your standards, what're you and Jin by your standards?
    Not a threat, and that was it. Everything else was kind of subservient to "will I regret this person knowing who I am?"

And Deffers, the scary thing to me was how many people came already like that and prospered therein.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I just love how little sense it makes. "They never sell any nets, no one wants them. But they spend more than hte factory will earn in a million years on security. Because they will make profit anyway, since they have a monopoly, which is good."
    You forgot to include: "You are very lucky to even find a volleyball net factory as no one ever plays it anymore since baseball* is the superior sport."

*baseball selected as I recall it being popular in Japan.

27. - Top - End - #1317

Quote Originally Posted by Fecar View Post
    You forgot to include: "You are very lucky to even find a volleyball net factory as no one ever plays it anymore since baseball* is the superior sport."

*baseball selected as I recall it being popular in Japan.
    Oh god! He's that fat guy in the black shirt from Shortpacked!.
    Avatar by Gulaghar, thanks so much!
    "People wanted to be fooled. They really believed that you found gold nuggets lying on the ground, that this time you could find the Lady, that just for once the glass ring might be real diamond. You had to give them a show.
    ~Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtok
    If it'll keep you from linking that abomination ever again, then fine. You're evil enough. You win.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Colossus in the Playground

Why the hell didn't you transfer out and try to flee that hellhole? That's just...I'm just sitting here thanking God that my school's reputation as a pressure cooker actually resulted in the administration offering a fairly comprehensive mental health service, and that the worst thing I've encountered here is the cluster**** of student housing--and that isn't even entirely the administration's fault!

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Why the hell didn't you transfer out and try to flee that hellhole? That's just...I'm just sitting here thanking God that my school's reputation as a pressure cooker actually resulted in the administration offering a fairly comprehensive mental health service, and that the worst thing I've encountered here is the cluster**** of student housing--and that isn't even entirely the administration's fault!
    Off topic: Your user name is oddly appropriate for this thread...

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Transferring usually involves the administration, at least as far as keeping your transcript goes. Somehow I doubt Trekkin's school was any more competent in that department than any other one, so he would have been stuck as firmly as Dante's sinners.

How they got enough influx of money to stay open with this level of dysfunction is beyond me.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2013-09-20 at 08:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.