New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: The SUE Files, Part II

Wow... seeing the LOGIC of how these powers get divided up, that gets messy. And really you have to be a HIGH level 'parapsychic' to do that? Seems like in addition to everything else Marty got the ordering wrong.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Marty's Mother-May-I Morass
    Transformation
    Wizard/Sorcerer 4
    1 round/level

This spell turns a thirty foot radius of area into sticky, glue-like mud that grabs at anything entering the area. Creatures in the area of the spell are entangled. Unlike other entanglement effects, they can not free themselves with strength or escape artist checks, but only with nicely asking the mud to let them go, a DC20 Diplomacy check.
    Only 20? Given the source material, seems like this deserves to be an epic spell with a DC of 2000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

3. - Top - End - #633
    Colossus in the Playground

I didn't want to make the spell too horrible, with a DC 20, most people at least have a chance of hitting the DC even if they have no ranks

If I wanted to accurately represent the game, I'd throw the text into google translate a few times, write it backwards and include a massive confusion and rage effect.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #634
    Barbarian in the Playground

If we wanted to make it game faithful, make it only useable by the DM, specifically on players that try to do anything not approved by the plot.
    LGBTAitP

"You can't just go around opting out of critical analysis by preemptively declaring yourself pointless."

- Mordecai, Lackadaisy Cats

5. - Top - End - #635
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Maybe the fact that the Maquis was introduced in DS9, (I guess a lot of fans had problems with that show,) and Voyager did nothing with it is why it "doesn't count?"
    Actually, the Maquis show up in at least one TNG episode (I know because I've seen it), though Marty is of course capable of retconning that away, in his own mind at least.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Wow... seeing the LOGIC of how these powers get divided up, that gets messy. And really you have to be a HIGH level 'parapsychic' to do that? Seems like in addition to everything else Marty got the ordering wrong.
    No, you're just missing the point. In a 'normal' game, the point of powers is to let the PCs do interesting and useful things. In S.U.E., the point is to ensure PC incompetence so that NPCs can show up and impress the players with their Kewlness. So from his point of view, Chief Circle got the ordering right.

Trekkin, has CC ever seen/commented on Mutants and Masterminds?
    Last edited by Arbane; 2013-08-07 at 07:35 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    No, you're just missing the point. In a 'normal' game, the point of powers is to let the PCs do interesting and useful things. In S.U.E., the point is to ensure PC incompetence so that NPCs can show up and impress the players with their Kewlness. So from his point of view, Chief Circle got the ordering right.

Trekkin, has CC ever seen/commented on Mutants and Masterminds?

He claims to love the system, but he's never liked any character built with it.

Incidentally, new post.

8. - Top - End - #638

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post

Incidentally, new post.
    Watching you describe in-game action where you were present really just drives home the fact that he hates the idea you guys can be effective at all. I mean, I could appreciate how perverse his understanding of player agency is, but even in the middle of frakking combat of all things.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

PL 20 just isn't ENOUGH to properly model Marty!

Incidentally, new post.
    Oh, goodie! Storytime!

(reads)

Wow, CC just loves piling up the penalties, doesn't he.
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

10. - Top - End - #640

Oh noes! The PCs took out more enemies than the NPCs!

In any other game, that would be a good thing...

I'm really impressed by the level of improvisation you guys displayed.
    LGBTAitP

"You can't just go around opting out of critical analysis by preemptively declaring yourself pointless."

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    PL 20 just isn't ENOUGH to properly model Marty!

Oh, goodie! Storytime!

(reads)

Wow, CC just loves piling up the penalties, doesn't he.
    Part of it's that, yes, but I remember him describing once something about how firm GM control was needed to prevent players building characters whose strengths compensated for their weaknesses. Or something. I wasn't paying attention at the time; in my defense, he's not a particularly engaging salesperson.

And yes. Penalties are key to his system; when he can't just rip the skills out from under a player, he'll start throwing -1s and -2s out of nowhere.

It annoyed me to no end, partly because of bookkeeping and partly because it's so transparent. On one day, having to work in bad light will be a -1; the next, not being able to see this and that and this and that are all -1, so the total penalty is -4, but he'll still staunchly claim that the darkness penalty has not changed. It's not a -4 penalty, it's a -1 penalty applied four times.

Yes, Marty has seriously argued that -1 * 4 =/= -4.

12. - Top - End - #642

BlueWizardGirl

It annoyed me to no end, partly because of bookkeeping and partly because it's so transparent. On one day, having to work in bad light will be a -1; the next, not being able to see this and that and this and that are all -1, so the total penalty is -4, but he'll still staunchly claim that the darkness penalty has not changed. It's not a -4 penalty, it's a -1 penalty applied four times.

Yes, Marty has seriously argued that -1 * 4 =/= -4.
    Well, if you want to get really technical, four -1 penalties are probably worse for PCs to deal with than one -4, because it's easier for the PCs to find a way to remove one penalty than many penalties. If that makes sense.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Well, if you want to get really technical, four -1 penalties are probably worse for PCs to deal with than one -4, because it's easier for the PCs to find a way to remove one penalty than many penalties. If that makes sense.
    Good point. That may have been what he meant, come to think of it.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

128oz 191 proof alcohol... I guess Marty started his kill attempt early. Or would have if he knew anything reasonable about alcohol.
    And not having anything to use at their headquarters... WHAT? (I've a feeling I be used to it by now but no.)
    And the defense hole, the hangar.

But not your acting job, that was glorious.

And Marty trying to shut down your improv solution. POORLY.

15. - Top - End - #645

BlueWizardGirl

Good point. That may have been what he meant, come to think of it.
    Well, in that example it should have only been one big penalty instead of a bunch of small ones, because the solution to remove any one of those penalties ("find"/make/buy a better light source) would have removed them all.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Incidentally, new post.
    Wow. I don't understand why you keep gaming with someone who's actively dedicated to reducing your player agency and fun, much less recognizing your contributions.

It would be like playing basketball with someone who routinely punched you in the face and then claimed it wasn't a foul.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

This is deep into the second thread. They stopped gaming long ago, this is a recounted tale of his misadventures under Marty.

18. - Top - End - #648

Even at the time it seemed rather remarkable they were still gaming with the guy.
    LGBTAitP

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    Wow. I don't understand why you keep gaming with someone who's actively dedicated to reducing your player agency and fun, much less recognizing your contributions.

It would be like playing basketball with someone who routinely punched you in the face and then claimed it wasn't a foul.
    No, the problem with that analogy is the guy who punches you in the face is still letting you actually play basketball. Having Marty as a GM is closer to a guy who forces you to sit on the sidelines and occasionally throws the ball at your head.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

20. - Top - End - #650

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    No, the problem with that analogy is the guy who punches you in the face is still letting you actually play basketball. Having Marty as a GM is closer to a guy who forces you to sit on the sidelines and occasionally throws the ball at your head.
    I think a better analogy is that Chief Circle is someone who claims to be a Chess master, but only if they're playing black (cause it's cooler), and all their pawns are queens already, instead of needing to traverse the board, the rules says it will happen anyway, it's more efficient this way. However, he stills wants you to play with normal pawns yourself, because that's how the balance works.

And even when you do decide to play, he stops you from actually moving a piece because clearly, you aren't capable of understanding his grand strategy, and would get in the way, so he instead plays both sides himself.

And despite all this, you can't leave, you need to watch how "clever" he is.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    I think a better analogy is that Chief Circle is someone who claims to be a Chess master, but only if they're playing black (cause it's cooler), and all their pawns are queens already, instead of needing to traverse the board, the rules says it will happen anyway, it's more efficient this way. However, he stills wants you to play with normal pawns yourself, because that's how the balance works.

And even when you do decide to play, he stops you from actually moving a piece because clearly, you aren't capable of understanding his grand strategy, and would get in the way, so he instead plays both sides himself.

Chess is far too restrictive to contain Chief Circle's greatness. He's actually playing Solitaire Calvinball. And cheating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #652

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Chess is far too restrictive to contain Chief Circle's greatness. He's actually playing Solitaire Calvinball. And cheating.
    Calvinchess?
    LGBTAitP

23. - Top - End - #653

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    I don't think he qualifies for Calvinball, he hasn't got the right kind of imagination.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    I keep thinking of a quote from Knights of the Dinner Table: "Despite all the evidence staring him in the face, he continues to think highly of himself. I find this annoying."

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    This is deep into the second thread. They stopped gaming long ago, this is a recounted tale of his misadventures under Marty.
    My bad.

I could punch myself in the face and simulate his GMing, I guess.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
    My bad.

I could punch myself in the face and simulate his GMing, I guess.
    I think it would be more like a flick to the crotch; every minute; for four hours. At first it doesn't seem so bad but it just keeps going and going and by the end you are tired, angry and in the kind of pain that makes you want to vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blog
    ’Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my stick.’ [...] We start trying to figure out how to capture the last one in the truck, but when we drive backward (and upside-down) into the wall, somehow the last Dhohanoid is squished.
    Oh no, the players are having fun, better end this as soon as possible to stop that nonsense right now.

27. - Top - End - #657

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    128oz 191 proof alcohol... I guess Marty started his kill attempt early. Or would have if he knew anything reasonable about alcohol..
    This has been bothering me... Assuming that the "beverage" in question is Everclear 190 proof*. 128oz is about 3.7 liters. Chief gave you about 5 liters of Everclear. What kind of scummy dive bar gives someone 5 liters of booze?!?!

*An unholy abomination more sued for use as a fuel than an intoxicant.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

I think Trekkin mentioned his character's a teetotaler, he just collects alcohol because it's flammable.

29. - Top - End - #659

BlueWizardGirl

I'm not bothered by Trekkin's character having it, I'm just wondering why a bar that size would have that much on hand....

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    This has been bothering me... Assuming that the "beverage" in question is Everclear 190 proof*. 128oz is about 3.7 liters. Chief gave you about 5 liters of Everclear. What kind of scummy dive bar gives someone 5 liters of booze?!?!

*An unholy abomination more sued for use as a fuel than an intoxicant.
    Which is largely why my character was using it as a fuel / disguise rather than as an intoxicant.

And I have no idea. I think Chief has somehow gotten several disparate types of establishment conflated, especially now that I look at my map. Toby's had a full kitchen, $1000-a-bottle Échezeaux grand cru somehow on tap...and "some arcade machines and magazine stands and stuff."

Out of this schizophrenic mess do we get the idea that it's like a gas station convenience store and would serve immense gallon Super Mega Ultra Chug-a-Gulp cups of soda. Only it's a bar, so instead it's immense quantities of alcohol.
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2013-08-09 at 06:56 PM.