Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XVIII: "Fortune favours the careless!"

I want to Vassal too!

I'm GMT-7 here. Evenings are best for me. Like, late evenings. After 11:00. Anything else is probably doable, but that's not a guarantee.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Anybody got any reccommendations for a small-ish tau force? 1000-1500 points.

Imperial guard allies would probably be Veterans in chimeras, a vendetta, and some HQ or other. They would be tasked with taking objectives. The Tau primary force would be doing the damage: I just don't really know what to do with them. A lot of Fire Warriors? Deep striking suits? If I have a vendetta in 1500-ish points, do i need skyfire suits?

I have pathfinders and would like to use them instead of the tau flyers because the tau flyers are hideous. Yes, i've done due penance.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Colossus in the Playground

Lewis and me finished one player turn of an Apocalypse game on Vassal, 5000k Nids vs. Eldar. I'll maybe write a report later.

First turn, he droped a Harridan and about a hundred gargoyles out of the sky in my lines, at the same time that a Prime, Mawloc and hordes and hordes of Hormagaunts jumped out of the ground, also in my line.

Wonderful.

Next turn, I'll have six D-Cannons and two fire prisms to take revenge with.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Commander; Missile Pod, Missile Pod, EWO, PENchip, Iridium - 160
    Crisis Team (x3); Missile Pod, Missile Pod, EWO - 171

Crisis Team (x3) - 157
    x2; Plasma Rifle, Plasma Rifle, ATS
    Flamer, Plasma Rifle, VRT

Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Kroot (x10); Kroot Hound - 65

Pathfinders (x9) - 99

Skyray - 115
    Skyray - 115

Company Command Squad; x4 Meltaguns - 90
    Veteran Squad; x3 Meltaguns + Chimera; Heavy Flamer - 155
    Vendetta - 130

Total: 1500 on the dot. First go.

Tau/IG is the easiest list to write there is.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-06-16 at 05:27 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Imperial guard allies would probably be Veterans in chimeras, a vendetta, and some HQ or other. They would be tasked with taking objectives. The Tau primary force would be doing the damage: I just don't really know what to do with them. A lot of Fire Warriors? Deep striking suits? If I have a vendetta in 1500-ish points, do i need skyfire suits?

I have pathfinders and would like to use them instead of the tau flyers because the tau flyers are hideous. Yes, i've done due penance.
    If you're going mech, as your choice of allied units would indicate, then you want small units of Fire Warriors in Devilfishes for your Troops, backed by Hammerheads, Skyrays and Piranhas.

If you're not, then yes, lots of Fire Warriors and an Ethereal/Cadre Fireblade will make a decent start for your list. Maybe a unit or two of Kroot for massed sniper fire or outflanking autocannons. Add units in other slots to provide whatever sort of firepower you need. You probably want some markerlights in some form.

Beyond that, almost every unit in the Tau codex is viable. Pick units that provide the sort of firepower that you don't have enough of yet. Light anti-tank, heavy anti-tank, anti-heavy infantry, anti-horde, anti-flier and anti-MC. Make sure you can do all of those things and it doesn't particularly matter which units are doing a thing in particular.
    Last edited by Tome; 2013-06-16 at 05:49 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    If you're going mech, as your choice of allied units would indicate, then you want small units of Fire Warriors in Devilfishes for your Troops, backed by Hammerheads, Skyrays and Piranhas.
    The problem is, that that just doesn't work in 1000-1500. Perhaps if you didn't want to have Allies, maybe. Which is why in the list I wrote, the Chimera sticks out like a sore thumb, and I'd much prefer it to be a Vendetta, or at least somehow shoehorn Harker into the list so the Chimera wont be on the board to be the only thing to get shot at (Skyrays should be hidden).

Going for a proper Mech list, your Allied Detachment would need to look like;

Company Command Squad; x3 Plasma Guns + Chimera; Heavy Flamer - 150
    Veterans; x3 Meltaguns + Chimera; Heavy Flamer - 155
    Veterans; x3 Meltaguns + Chimera; Heavy Flamer - 155
    Vendettas (x2) - 260
    Hydras (x2) - 150

870 Points. For an 'Allied' Detachment that is more than half of your total points cost. Because you're playing Mech, you're not going to have Crisis Suits for Interceptor, so you need the Hydras, you need the Vendettas because Tau have trouble against AV13+ (Skyrays don't cut it) and it's generally really difficult - especially if you're only playing 1500 tops.

To play Mech-Tau in 1500, you either need to drop the IG Allies, or have a bad time. Mech-Tau is also heavily reliant on Piranha support - you'll need more than 3 - shoot for 6, at least, which gives you 2 units of three Fast Meltas because you wont be using Crisis Suits. Then pick up 3 Skyrays for 345 Points. Now you're up to ~700 Points. Pick up an Ethereal and at least three units of Fire Warriors in Devilfish. That's about another 700 Points. Giving you 100 Points left for a Quad-Gun. The problem this list now has is lack of AP2.

EDIT: I guess the real point of this post is that you shouldn't really be using Allies under 1500 Points.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-06-16 at 06:44 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Commander; Missile Pod, Missile Pod, EWO, PENchip, Iridium - 160

Crisis Team (x3) - 157
    Flamer, Plasma Rifle, VRT

Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Kroot (x10); Kroot Hound - 65

Pathfinders (x9) - 99

Skyray - 115
    Skyray - 115

Company Command Squad; x4 Meltaguns - 90
    Veteran Squad; x3 Meltaguns + Chimera; Heavy Flamer - 155
    Vendetta - 130

Total: 1500 on the dot. First go.

Tau/IG is the easiest list to write there is.
    Looks pretty good, to my untrained eye. I would have thought Hammerheads were better than Sky Rays, though? This list seems to have a lot of str7 and not too much S9-10, with the vendetta- the only flyer- carrying all of it.

What if i were to compromise on the Chimera? That would presumably mean the CCS would need to be outfitted a little differently (or swapped for a Lord-Commissar or Primaris), but extra points would be freed up.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I would have thought Hammerheads were better than Sky Rays, though?
    Explain your reasoning for why you think that.

What if i were to compromise on the Chimera?
    Drop the Chimera, drop a Fire Warrior squad, and you can pick up a second Vendetta.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-06-17 at 02:25 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Explain your reasoning for why you think that.
    The ability to deal with av14, in a nutshell. Sky Rays are very nice artillery/AA but should my opponent deploy a land raider and quad-gun, what can I do?

I suppose Hull Points matter, but if i have 12 shots to take down a land raider, only taking HP on 6...

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The ability to deal with av14, in a nutshell. Sky Rays are very nice artillery/AA but should my opponent deploy a land raider and quad-gun, what can I do?
    In that case, you're better off with either
    a) A pair of Piranhas with Fusion Guns, or
    b) Swap the Plasma Guns on the Crisis Suits for Fusion Guns.

Fliers are more common than Land Raiders, and that's why Skyrays are better. Skyrays also bring Markerlights which is more helpful to an Infantry army once all the Missiles are gone. Also, with Pathfinders in the army, the Skyray doesn't even need LoS which means it can hide in the back and not get shot at, at all.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, how about this, tweaked to fit my existing collection and my vague feeling that flyers are less common in my meta than in many others.

Commander; Cyclic Ion Blaster, Missile Pod, EWO, PENchip, Iridium, Onager Gauntlet - 165
    Extra shots are good, right? Shorter range less so, but I figure anything within 18" will need the extra shots. The gauntlet is for lols, and for the suspicion there's a really nice conversion to be had there.

Crisis Team (x3) - 167
    Fusion Blaster, Fusion Blaster, Target Lock
    This squad isn't "suicide" but it is more close-range than most.

Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Kroot (x10); -60

Pathfinders (x9) - 99
    Piranha, Fusion Blaster, Sensor Spines -55
    The ability to zip about and hide in cover will be useful, right?

Skyray - 115
    Skyray - 115

CCS- Lascannon, 70
    If they aren't flying/speeding into battle they can take a more backseat role, providing a backline anti-Tank not dependent on markerlights. An alternative might be a basic Lord-Commissar or Primaris Psyker.
    Veteran Squad; x3 Meltaguns-100
    Vendetta - 130
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2013-06-17 at 04:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Tau:

Tau have been pretty popular since their release, unfortunately, no-one has really gotten around to making a Guide for them (on the Playground, at least), I believe a couple of people have started, but they haven't been finished/posted. So, here's a very quick description of most of the better Tau units. Anyone who is willing, is definitely encouraged to put up a more in-depth Guide when they can.

Due to the bi-polar nature of the Tau army, units will be marked Foot/Hybrid (F/H) or Mech (M). But, ultimately you only need to remember one thing when it comes to Tau; If it doesn't have S6/7+ it's not useful. Your Troops have Infantry-killing covered, don't bother making any non-Troop try to be able to deal with Infantry because you're losing killing power and being ineffecient.

HQ
    Spoiler
    Show
    Commander (F/H)
    Your Commander can't fit in a Devilfish, therefore he doesn't belong in a Mech army. Commander load-outs are as follows;

Missile Pod/CIB, Missile Pod, EWO, Velocity Tracker; He shoots stuff at BS5. To save points, drop the Velocity Tracker.

Plasma Rifle, Plasma Rifle, ATS, [X]; He snipes enemy good-stuff to death. [X] can be anything you want.

[X], Vectored Retro-Thrusters, Stimulant Injector, Shield Generator, Iridium; The tank. For when you really don't want to give up your Slay The Warlord VP. Maybe he'll survive long enough in combat for the Onager Gauntlet to be worth it.

Signature Wargear that should always be considered;
    NSJ, RIF, C&C Node, PENchip, Iridium. You can take as many or none of these as you want on any Commander. Please remember that you can still take most of them on a Shas'vre or one of your Crisis Bodyguards if you don't want all your Force Multipliers sitting on a single 200+ point model.

But, if you do...
    [X], [X], [X], Vectored Retro-Thrusters, NSJ, RIF, C&C Node, PENchip, MS3; The Ally. This guy doesn't actually need weapons. If you really want to, stick him behind a Quad-Gun during Interceptor phases. If you don't give him any other weapons, consider a Twin-Linked Flamer as he can fire that on Overwatch. Add Iridium if you've got points.

Use Battle Brothers to insert yourself into any shooty Eldar or Space Marine unit you want. Twin-Linked Bladestorm that Ignores Cover? Okay. For Wraithguard? Dark Reapers? Enough said. Sternguard or Devastators do their thing. But with even more versatility and better.

+Crisis Bodyguard: This is just a pair of Crisis Suits (see Elites) with Sworn Protector. Read that rule carefully...Load up on Shield Drones. Otherwise their loadouts are roughly the same as a normal Crisis Team.

Ethereal/Fireblade (M)
    These guys can fit in Devilfish, therefore they can join Fire Warrior squads in their vehicles when Commanders can't. Both are for ostensibly buffing your Troops. Also, your Devilfish are expensive so your HQ Tax needs to be as cheap as you can manage - so, no Commander.

Troops
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fire Warriors
    F/H: 8-9
    M: 6-7 + Devilfish. 8 for any squad joined by an IC.

Kroot (F/H)
    Since a Foot army is going to lack mobility and/or you're not brave/stupid enough to Deep Strike your Crisis Suits, a minimum Outflanking Kroot squad can get you your Linebreaker VP and may even be able to contest an Objective. You only need one Kroot Hound.

Elites
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crisis Team (F/H)
    Missile Pod, Missile Pod, EWO
    Plasma Rifle, Plasma Rifle, ATS/

Melta, Melta/Flamer, VRT; You really only need 4 Meltaguns in a BS3 unit, give the third man a Twin-Linked Flamer and a VRT. You only need one model with VRT per unit.

Riptide (F/H, M)
    It has a place in Mech armies since Missile Launchers wont kill it instantly so it can act as a 'wall' of sorts. You'll need at least 2, that way when your Nova Reactor doesn't work and you don't have your 3++ that turn, your single Riptide doesn't get all the guns pointed at it.

Fast Attack
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pathfinders (F/H)
    You don't need more than 6 per unit. But 7-8 gives you room for casualties because your opponent will shoot them. If you're bringing more than 25 Pathfinders in your army, you're probably not spending enough points on Troops.

Piranhas (M)
    Always take the Fusion Blaster. Always bring at least 2 per squad. You want as many as you can fit in your army...So, at least 6 if points allow. Bring Seeker Missiles if you've got points.

Heavy Support
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skyray (F/H, M)
    Since you're bringing Pathfinders, you should have more than enough Markerlights to spare if you need to shoot at a ground-vehicle, which you don't need LoS for, so sit behind a blocker and do nothing until you have to. You shouldn't get Alpha Struck because your should have units with Interceptor who can thin out first-turn Melta Droppers.
    You've also got Skyfire for unloading Missiles at Fliers. When you've run out of Missiles, start LoS Blocking with your FA13 and use Markerlights to help out your Infantry. Bring at least two.

Hammerheads (M)
    Meltas on the Piranhas may be Meltas, but they're still very short-ranged and fragile, while you may think you need two, they come at the cost of Skyrays and at a greater expense. Two Skyrays and a Hammerhead should be more than enough, but, why not three Skyrays? If you want to bring two Hammerheads though, bring three instead to make up for the lesser rate of fire. Also Submunitions are always useful, just in case your Piranhas somehow don't die in the first two turns and manage to shuck all your opponents' vehicles (it happens).

Having just read the above, and are thinking of starting Tau, do remember that all the Tau units are usable and nothing is really 'bad' except for Stealth Teams and Sniper Teams, and only because they don't quite do what they're supposed to.

Yeah, it's quick, and half the units are left out. If anyone wants to do a more in-depth Guide on the other units, you're free and encouraged to do so.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you, that's excellent. Given me lots of ideas for expansion.

Okay, how's this look?

HQ
    Commander; Cyclic Ion Blaster, Missile Pod, ATS, PENchip, Iridium, Onager Gauntlet - 163

Elites

Crisis Team (x3) - 169
    Fusion Blaster, Fusion Blaster, Target Lock

Troops
    Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Fire Warriors (x9) - 81
    Kroot (x10); -60

Fast Attack
    Pathfinders (x7) - 77
    Pathfinders (x7) - 77

Heavy Support
    Skyray - 115
    Skyray - 115

Allies
    CCS- Lascannon, 70
    Veteran Squad; x3 Meltaguns-100
    Vendetta - 130
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2013-06-20 at 01:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Banned

...nothing is really 'bad' except for Stealth Teams and...
    Stealth teams are still useful because they have the C2+ save whenever they're behind anything bigger than a small frog. They're generally pretty sweet if you want an OTK on a unit you don't like the look of, and with a bit of building/inflitrare abuse you can be in range to melt things on the first turn. Also good for standing on top of buildings raining hell on orks.

They do, admittedly, cost a lot. Take drones. Also, a PF team to improve the stealth team's ballistic skill and such rarely goes amiss.

Snipers, I admit, generally aren't worth the points but they can be good for righteously irritating 'nids and things with AV lots.

Another thing that should be mentioned is Broadsides. No longer the cheapo railguns they used to be, now they're a decent way to give fliers (skyfire equip) or ICs (Precision shot equip) something to worry about. The fact that a precision Shas'vre will ID a SM librarian 10/27 of the time is pretty cool, if nothing else. Also good for big 'nids, because your S is conveniently 2 higher than their T.

And finally, a quick word on the Eth's totally-not-psychic-powers:

Tides: Good if your kroot are trying to hold up terminators or whatever in combat. Generally, you don't need it.
    Fire: This is like a bad version of FRFSRF, but you still probably want to be using it a lot because you're a tau.
    Stone: This is your generic "I have nothing better to do with my ethereal" card. Doesn't stack with anything except warpflame. Can save a couple of fire warriors, use it when you don't have anything else in mind.
    Zephyr: Lets your kroot run and shoot things. If your fire warriors are running, remind me what they think they're doing? DON'T think of this as "I'm shooting anyway, so this lets me run too," think of it as "I'm running anyway, so this lets me shoot too."

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Snipers, I admit, generally aren't worth the points but they can be good for righteously irritating 'nids and things with AV lots.
    Actually, they're a pretty good markerlight source. 84 points for 3 BS5 Markerlights is surprisingly decent. Less efficient than Pathfinders obviously (though not by as much as you'd think), but they're notably harder to shift.

I consider the actual Sniper Drones to be an added bonus that work wonderfully as ablative wounds.

If you have free Heavy Support slots and want a markerlight source that's a little more sturdy than Pathfinders, they should be your go-to option.

Spoiler
    Show
    Points to marker hits ratios for various units, should anyone be interested.

Pathfinder Teams: 22
    Sniper Drone Teams: 33.6
    Marker Drones as Wargear: 36
    Marker Drone Squadrons: 42
    Skyray: 86.25
    Sun Shark: 320

Marker Drones get notably more efficient when there's a Commander with a Drone Controller involved, particularly when he's still able to shoot things effectively and thus isn't a complete tax, up to about 14.4 points per hit for optimal setups.
    Last edited by Tome; 2013-06-17 at 03:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm on Vassal now if anyone wants to try a game.

Name: Tehnar
    Game: GiantITP40K
    Last edited by Tehnar; 2013-06-17 at 03:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tehnar View Post
    I'm on Vassal now if anyone wants to try a game.

Name: Tehnar
    Game: GiantITP40K
    Does that still stand? I can't find you...
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Stealth teams are still useful because they have the C2+ save whenever they're behind anything bigger than a small frog.
    But they come at the cost of Crisis Teams.

Also good for standing on top of buildings raining hell on orks.
    When Tau have problems killing Infantry, it's time to start a new army.

They do, admittedly, cost a lot. Take drones.
    "They cost a lot, make them more expensive." By this point you could be taking a Riptide.

Another thing that should be mentioned is Broadsides. No longer the cheapo railguns they used to be, now they're a decent way to give fliers (skyfire equip) or ICs (Precision shot equip) something to worry about.
    ...So are Skyrays and Crisis Teams with Plasma-ATS.

Like I said, if anyone wants to write a Guide that details anything that aren't the best-in-slots, you should do so.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-06-17 at 04:50 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

Like I said, if anyone wants to write a Guide that details anything that aren't the best-in-slots, you should do so.
    What the hey, I might as well.

*Starts writing*

20. - Top - End - #560

MindFlayer

Having just read the above, and are thinking of starting Tau, do remember that all the Tau units are usable and nothing is really 'bad' except for Stealth Teams and Sniper Teams, and only because they don't quite do what they're supposed to.
    Aren't vespid significantly worse than both of those? That's what I've heard all over the place, and since you didn't even mention them, I wasn't sure if you'd forgotten them or if you thought they were good.

Also, I'd really appreciate a guide on some of the not "best-in-slot" units. I love broadsides, and stealth suits, and sniper teams. Even vespid seem really neat, if I had an idea of how to get them to work.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonOfDoubt View Post
    Aren't vespid significantly worse than both of those? That's what I've heard all over the place, and since you didn't even mention them, I wasn't sure if you'd forgotten them or if you thought they were good.

Also, I'd really appreciate a guide on some of the not "best-in-slot" units. I love broadsides, and stealth suits, and sniper teams. Even vespid seem really neat, if I had an idea of how to get them to work.
    Broadsides are good, always go for the missiles.

Stealth suits are pretty meh. They're reasonably hard to kill but don't really do anything that other units don't do better for fewer points.

Sniper Teams work best as a Markerlight unit with maximum Marksmen and minimum Sniper drones.

Vespid got better, but that still leaves them as pretty terrible. You have better options for killing marines, options that don't have to get into knife-fight range to work.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is there some particular reason people don't use Imperial Bastions?

Also, for anyone who has one: Assuming you set it up like the box art (alternating between one side having two high fire slits plus a door, and one side just having the low fire slit), are there any "blind spots" where it's not possible to train two firepoints on a single target?
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Tome's (probably mistake-filled) Guide to Tau

EDIT Updated for 7th!

Special Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jet Pack: Not technically a Tau rule, but they're essentially the only ones with access to it (though both forms of Eldar have something like it on their jetbikes). Found on Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits, Commanders, Drones and Riptides, it does two main things. First, it gives the unit Relentless. You can always move and fire with jet pack units, even if using a heavy weapon such as an Smart Missile System, Markerlight or Cyclic Ion blaster. The other, more important part is that you can make an additional 2d6 move in the assault phase. You can use this both to keep out of assault range (helpful, as every unit in the codex is terrible in assault) and to execute the time-honoured tactic of Jump-Shoot-Jump, whereby you Jump out of cover in the movement phase, Shoot in the shooting phase and then Jump back out of line of sight in the assault phase, drastically reducing the return fire you take. You will do this often every single turn.

Supporting Fire: Pretty much everything in the codex has this, even some of the vehicles. If assaults are likely it can be worth making sure your units are within 6" of each other to take advantage of this but it's not worth optimising over. If you have flamer-toting suits handy they can be particularly helpful here.

Bonding Knife Ritual: Too expensive and infrequently used on Fire Warriors and Pathfinders for it to be worth it. Broadsides should be at the back and thus are likely to run off the board in a single turn. Crisis and Stealth teams might be able to make use of it though, but only if you've got those 3 points drifting around spare. Scratch that, it's not even applicable then.

Warlord Traits: Always roll on the codex table. Inapplicable results are re-rolled, which should have been part of every table. 1# is only really good if it's on a Commander set up for sniping anyway. 2# is useful enough, just make sure you're getting the most use out of it possible by getting as many units as possible within 12" on the turn you activate it. 3# is great unless your Commander is staying back to either snipe or buff. 4# is amazing for enduring an enemy alpha strike if you're going second. 5# is highly circumstantial, being useful only if your opponent brought a lot of fliers. 6# is kind of useless unless your warlord is set up for close range fire, in which case it's awesome.

Wargear and Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Support Systems

Advanced Targeting System: It's cheap and lets your suits use Precision Shots. Best used with plasma rifles and fusion blasters so that any precision shots you get are likely to actually kill their target.

Counterfire Defence System: Cheap, makes your Overwatch even more deadly. What's not to love? Take them on units that will be getting close to the enemy. Be aware that a Flamer is the same price and may be more effective for overwatch on some crisis teams.

Early Warning Override: Another great option. Best on Riptides with Ion Accelerators, but properly position Crisis Teams with Missile Pods or Plasma Rifles can make decent use of it.

Target Lock: If a model needs to shoot something different from the rest of it's unit, or if the unit has so much firepower that some of it might be wasted firing at the same target, take one of these.

Vectored Retro-Thrusters:
    You might survive one turn of assault. If you think a unit is going to get caught there, these will let them run away. Remember to include a Drone so you can use their Initiative for the test and that only one model in the unit needs these, the rest can take something to boost overwatch.

Drone Controller:
    Taking a lot of drones? Then you want one of these. Except why not have it on the Commander for BS5? And then have lots of drones in the unit, either by taking two each on the commander and every member of a three-man crisis team, or by sticking him in an actual unit of drones. Generally the only type of drone worth boosting like this is Marker Drones.

Stimulant Injector: Pricey, but useful. A good option for you Commander in particular. Be aware that S8 AP3 or better isn't hard to come by, so your crisis teams may well not get as much use out of this as you'd think.

Velocity Tracker: Why everyone hates you. Well, part of the reason. Tau have the best anti-air defence of any codex and it's all thanks to this little bit of wargear. Take on crisis teams with missile pods, Riptides and maybe even Broadsides. Remember that you explicitly get to choose whether to have Skyfire for each individual shooting attack, so you can just choose not to have it when shooting ground targets.

Shield Generator: Not as valuable as it would be for other codexes. Your units won't be getting into assault if you can help it (and they're dead anyway if they do) so Cover saves are just as good as Invulnerable saves in most cases, only free. Possibly still worth it for those Ignores Cover shots on your Commander, but too expensive everywhere else.

Drones: Gun Drones are okay, but best taken on things that were going to be shooting lots of S5 guns anyway. Shield Drones do nothing because of the way Wounds are allocated. Missile Drones are great, but can only be taken on Broadsides. This leaves Marker Drones as the only drone worth taking on most things that can take drones. Even then, you probably want some way to get a Drone Controller into their unit.

Vehicle Battle Systems

Blacksun Filter: It's a single point. So very, very worth it just for that one time it comes up.

Decoy Launchers:
    Your fliers should have this if you're using them. A lot of anti-air fire has Interceptor attached to it, so they'll get some use out of this and it's pretty much too cheap not to.

Automated Repair System: Not really worth it. It's too specific on what it can repair to come up that often and even then it's only on a 6.

Sensor Spines: You could Jink for a cover save and be forced to snap shot, or you could take these and hide in terrain. For five points, it's worth it. Even Devil Fishes, who don't have much shooting to loose when Jinking might want them for when they're trying to claim objectives in cover. Combines well with the Disruptions Pods you were taking anyway.

Flechette Dischargers: The damage it does is just too little to be worth it. It might kill one model, but that's it. Save your points for other things.

Point Defence targeting Relay: Not terrible on Devilfishes that are likely to have plenty of S5 shooting handy and might actually be anywhere near an assault. Except it's a bit more expensive than most other vehicle systems, and probably not worth it unless you plan to run your Devilfish in close concert with your Fire Warriors and having both advance up the board. Even then, a few more Overwatch shots may not be worth the points cost.

Advanced Targeting System:
    At that cost? The only weapon worth applying this to is the Hammerhead's Railgun and Longstrike does this anyway (hint: if you're running a Hammerhead with a Railgun, you're running Longstrike).

Disruption Pod:
    Completely and utterly worth the cost. See the price on every vehicle that isn't a Piranha? It's actually fifteen more than it says and the vehicle comes with these as standard. Either you Jink for 3+, or you have Sensor Spines are using cover to get a 4+ or 3+. That's how Tau vehicles survive.

Signature Systems

Neuroweb System Jammer: If you're planning on getting into range anyway, this thing is dirt cheap.

Onager Gauntlet:
    A terrible choice once the novelty wears off. You still have Tau WS and I and you only have one attack.

Failsafe Detonator:
    Nope. Here's a hint, most things that want to assault you either have lots of bodies (and don't care about the losses, or are at least as tough as your crisis suits.

Repulsor Impact Field: Like Flechette Dischargers, only for your battlesuits. Slightly more worthwhile given how that your battlesuits might have enough anti-assault measures to actually make a difference.

Command and Control Node: Very good system, comes in a pair with the Multi-Spectrum Sensor Suite. Always take these two on the same model, no sense in having more than one model giving up it's shooting. Best on a Commander (yes, I know it's a waste of his BS5) so he can jump into whichever unit can best take advantage of the buffs.

Multi-Spectrum Sensor Suite: Comes in a pair with the Command and Control Node. It's worth it.

XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit:
    You take this on your Commander. If you have more than one Commander, you take it on the one that's going to be your Warlord.

HQ
    Spoiler
    Show
    Commander: Highly customisable and starts out cheapish, but can get expensive quickly if you don't watch your wargear. Comes in three general builds: Shooty (two guns, other misc wargear boosting that), Buffer (Command and Control Node, Multi-Spectrum Sensor Suite, Puretide Engram Neurochip and no guns) and Marker'O (two guns, Drone Controller, Target Lock, Marker Drones and attached to either a Crisis team with Target Locks and maxed Marker Drones or a full unit of Marker Drones). Iridium armour and the Puretide chip should be strongly considered for any build.

Ethereal: The cheap option. Grants a LD boosting aura and one of four buffs chosen each turn. Awesome. You'll probably want multiple units of Fire Warriors to take advantage of his Storm of Fire, but Sense of Stone is also good for buffing Riptides and other battlesuit units. Just make sure to protect him. It's ambiguous as to whether his buff aura works from inside a Devilfish. If it does, take at least one for him to hide in. My personal recommendation for a default HQ.

Cadre Fireblade: The newest of your generic HQs. He's cheap and unlike the Ethereal doesn't give up an extra VP when killed, but doesn't bring the huge buffs an Ethereal does either. If you want to use him take Gun Drones and make sure there's a max size Fire Warrior unit (with Gun Drones as well) for him to hang around in. The more pulse guns in his unit the better. Probably the best option for a Mech list, since the HQ is just a tax and he doesn't give out extra VPs when he dies.

Bodyguards: A more expensive, two-man Crisis Team? Only take it if you need more crisis suits and your Elites are full, of if you want to play shenanigans with Signature Systems. Note that unlike the Shas'Vre of a regular Crisis team Signature Systems don't take up one of their slots.

TROOPS
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fire Warriors: Your default troops choice. Cheap, has an armour save against bolters and the best standard infantry gun in the game. Always take Pulse Rifles. Can be force-multiplied by Fireblades and Ethereals. A small unit with EMP grenades can be a cute trick but generally isn't worth it. Massed pulse fire can be very effective against a lot of things in the game.

Kroot: Are not, in any form, an assault unit. Either take them for massed cheap snipers and backfield scoring, or to outflank for linebreaker and getting some autocannons Kroot Guns into the enemy flank. The snipers option is very good. Take one Kroot Hound to benefit from Acute Senses if outflanking.

Devilfish: Expensive, has no fire points. Makes a semi-decent light gunship if doing a mech list though. I'm not a fan due to the cost. EDIT Much better in 7th where it has super-scoring. Jink + Disruption Pods for a 3+ Cover save anywhere you like is great for a vehicle that didn't have much firepower anyway. Not so great for Pathfinders, where it doesn't score.

ELITES
    Spoiler
    Show
    A very hotly contested slot, this should almost always be full.

Crisis Teams: Highly customisable and provides a lot of firepower for the points. Almost always take two of the same gun, twin-linking is the inferior option, then put whatever support system best synergises with their intended role in the third slot. Or leave it blank and save a few points. Only one model in the unit needs the VRT.

Riptides: The Ion Accelerator is always the better option unless you have a way to consistently allow for re-rolling 1's, and even then it's still probably better. The EWO is only 5 points on top of that to allow you to drop AP2 pie plates on deep strikers. Who doesn't love screwing over enemy alpha strikes? Stims, Velocity Tracker or nothing for your second support system. More flexible than a crisis team, but not so effective at a given role and much more expensive. Be careful with how much you use the Nova charge. Also worth noting is that since Riptides can be units consisting of more than one model, thanks to the drones, you can attach ICs to them. EDIT Not any more in 7th, but that was kind of cheesy anyway. Flip side, Riptides are still awesome and now they score. Park one on an objective and kill any enemy troops that try to take it from you or just use their novacharged jetpack move to grab an unoccupied objective last turn.

Stealth Teams: Not bad, per say, but expensive and competing against crisis teams and riptides. Also, they mostly just bring more S5 shooting, which already have plenty of in your Troops and at much better range. EDIT Better in sixth where they can score.

FAST ATTACK
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pathfinders: Markerlights! Cheap ones! Unfortunately, they're also rather fragile having been downgraded to a 5+ save. Probably your default Fast Attack choice anyway. You may be tempted to take their fancy drones and maybe tack on Darkstrider to make a unit that effectively runs around firing 26 S6 shots at 24" while being almost immune to assaults, but at that point you're paying over 200+ points for a unit that's still only T3 5+, also known as a trap. The rifles are similarly lacking. Still great because Markerlights but they will be targeted first by any competent opponent.

Drone Squadrons: More Markerlights, but less accurate and more expensive. Still, being Relentless T4 Jet Pack Infantry with a 4+ save is a much better profile than Pathfinders, giving more mobility and durability to your Markerlights if you don't mind having to pay almost twice as much per hit. A Commander with a Drone Controller can boost their BS to 5 whilst still using a Target Lock to shoot normally, but that trick's generally best done by taking Marker Drones on a Crisis Team. Technically you can take units of Gun Drones and Shield Drones too, but why would you?

Piranhas: Always take the Fusion Blaster and run them in squadrons. Mech lists need lots of them.

Sun Shark Bombers: Ignore the Pulse Bombs, you're taking this guy for the Interceptor Drones he carries. Four Twin-Linked S7 shots with Interceptor and Skyfire, plus two more TL S7 shots, a Markerlight and a couple of S8 AP1 missiles. Not bad, but there are better fliers out there and Skyrays are better at anti-air anyway. EDIT Slight nerf in that Interceptor Drones can no longer shoot ground targets properly. The weird state where the Bomber is a better dogfighter and the fighter is a better bomber persists.

Razorshark Fighters: Strictly inferior to the Sun Shark unless you want to drop a high strength large blast on some infantry. EDIT Now clearly better than the Sun Shark at targeting infantry.

Vespid: They're better than they were, but that still doesn't make them very good. Even if they now have better odds of getting close enough to shoot, they still suffer from being expensive, fragile and carrying a short ranged gun that does something other units can do better and from outside of knife-fight range for fewer points.

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Spoiler
    Show
    Broadsides: The missiles are better than the rail rifles, and Crisis Teams with Missile Pods do that slightly better anyway. Still worth taking though. Don't be lured into thinking you should strap Velocity Trackers onto them for anti-flier, they're twin-linked with lots of shots and don't really need it at that price.

Hammerheads: Take the Railgun and Longstrike if you want to try killing AV13+ at range. The Ion cannon provides another option for low AP pie plates, which are pretty nice in an army that can turn off cover saves at will. Always remember to take the Blacksun Filter and upgrade to the SMS.

Skyrays: Anti-tank that works just as well on Fliers? Yes please. Will probably exhaust it's missiles after a few turns, but it's cheap and should hopefully have done it's job by then. Like the Hammerhead, there's no reason not to upgrade to the SMS.

Sniper Drone Teams:
    Not actually that good as snipers, since Kroot are so ludicrously cost efficient at that whilst also being troops. No, you take these guys for the Firesight Marksmen, who tote around a BS5 Markerlight. Three Marksmen and the mandatory drones is basically paying 29 points to upgrade a 5 man pathfinder team to T4 4+ with Stealth and three ablative wounds before you start losing Markerlights. If you want a more durable markerlight source than Pathfinders, these are your guys.

Special Characters
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shadowsun: She's cheap, gives Stealth/Shrouded/Infiltrate and a boosted Jet Pack move to her unit and can let one unit re-roll 1s to hit. All sorts of goodness. The downside is that she's T3 with only a 3+ save, making her rather fragile. Don't make the mistake of attaching her to a Stealth Team, you loose out on most of the benefits she brings and Stealths are bad anyway. Good candidates for her re-roll 1s buff include the Riptide or any unit that's regularly going to be overcharging an Ion weapon. EDIT Can't join Riptides any more.

Farsight: You take him for one reason, to field his massive deathstar of bodyguards and deepstrike it down with perfect accuracy. Equip them for close range fire, sprinkle in a few target locks and signature systems and make sure someone has vectored retro thrusters. Not optimal, but quite possibly fun. EDIT He has his own army in the Farsight Enclaves supplement. Strangely, he's probably better off being run under the standard Tau Empire codex anyway, since the special character that replace his bodyguard are terrible and the Enclaves have worse signature systems.

Aun'Va: Like two Ethereals duct-taped together. His weird paradox save that makes him immune to AP1 is cool, but he can't join units and will thus be shot to death with bolters in short order. If his abilities work from inside a devilfish he's a lot better.

Aun'shi: Pay more points, to make my fragile buffbot slightly better in assault than the average tactical marine? Pass.

Darkstrider: Can do some interesting tricks with Pathfinder Rail/Ion Rifles, but generally he doesn't do enough compared to even a Fireblade to be worth his comparatively hefty price tag.

Allies
    Spoiler
    Show
    Generally, if you're taking allies as Tau, you're looking for durable units that can be used to capture midfield objectives and snag linebreaker. Being troops, good in assault and/or highly mobile is a plus. Psykers powers and hard anti-tank can also be a plus.

Eldar are notable for being Allies of Convenience and having their Windrider Jetbikes, which are probably the best troops unit in the game. They also have plenty of Psykers. Just remember that you're looking for durable units that want to be moving up the field, don't grab Rangers or any other squishy backfielders.

Necrons are your other AoC option. They have a few assault units but mostly they're another shooty army only with less range and a little more durability. Focus on their assault units if you want to ally with them.

Farsight Enclaves is your supplement. It gives you Crisis Teams as troops and a few interesting Signature Systems. Generally yours are better for Commanders, but Enclaves Riptides can take them instead. So do that, and take an Ethereal or Fireblade for your allied HQ. You probably want Enclaves as the primary detachment in order to get the most out of Crisis Teams as troops though.

Everyone else is either Desperate Allies or Come The Apocalypse. Feel free to take them if you want, you should be sending them up the field so they don't get close enough to your Tau to be a problem.

I'm probably wildly incorrect in places here, but it's (probably) better than nothing.

Feel free to tell me where I went wrong.
    Last edited by Tome; 2014-05-27 at 06:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    Is there some particular reason people don't use Imperial Bastions?

Also, for anyone who has one: Assuming you set it up like the box art (alternating between one side having two high fire slits plus a door, and one side just having the low fire slit), are there any "blind spots" where it's not possible to train two firepoints on a single target?
    I use a bastion from time to time. It's not as useful as a defense line for protecting your army and the heavy bolters it brings aren't all that useful, though it does make a good strongpoint to garrison a squad or two of havoc marines in. I do tend to play in high point games and use two primary detachments though so I take a bastion and a defense line.

In lower point games I think I'd favor a defense line though, less points and you can protect more squads with it.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Grey Knights vs Necrons, 1000pts Battle report

Army Lists
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grey Knights
    Coteaz (Warlord)
    2x Acolyte squad: 2 joakero, 3 crusaders, 1 plasma gunner, 6 storm bolter warriors. One of these squads has a chimera.
    Lord-Commissar, carapace armour
    Veteran Squad: 3 meltas. One squad has a chimera.
    Vendetta, heavy bolters
    This army was a quick cut-down from my 1500 point list. I basically took whole squads out until it was below 1000, and added in heavy blters as a quick balance.

Necrons
    Overlord- Resurrection Orb, Warscythe (Warlord)
    Cryptek
    C'Tan deciever shard
    10x Immortals
    10(?)x Warriors
    5 scarab bases
    Annihilation Barge -Tesla weapon, underslung gauss weapon.

The Convocation at Baden's Reach, Part I
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Just as I expected."

Merit looked up uncertainly from her new bolt pistol, at her employer. Torquemada Coteaz was a large man, and his pearl-white power aromour made him still larger: against the small Merit, he was nearly half her height again. He lowered a pair of magnoculars, and turned to the now-armed scribe. "Three more disturbances along the western walkways. Magnitude delta, Gamma, and epsilon strength. Note that down."

"Yes sir." Merit placed the pistol down, and took up her dataslate. The three disturbances mapped almost perfectly onto the predicted locations. Just as they'd expected.

Against the anchients, Coteaz's usual tactics of infiltration and subterfuge were simply useless. his network of spies across the known systems were at a loss: and he had brought in scribes instead. Merit, Logician class nine-IV, was one of them, Coteaz's personal secretary. It had taken weeks of checking star charts, gravitational field fluctuations, patterns of known dissapearances, and when all else had failed, footprints in dried mud, but they'd locked down the next expected materialisation, and nearly sixty veterans were deployed to meet it. Hard-bitten guard veterans, lead by Interrogator Yerrt. Dour, silent crusaders, archaic weapons crackling with energy. Dozens of other irregulars like Merit, mostly veteran warriors, Coteaz's core cadre. Most unnerving of all were the sanctioned Xenos, massive greenskins, arms festooned with purity seals, guns larger than her whole body.

"You did a good job on the predictions." Reynold, a heavy-set ex-ganger carrying a massive stubber offered. He slapped her on the back with a meaty fist. "Good Job."

"She has performed well."

The boss didn't look at them, just kept staring out over the swamp, and the decaying ruins. Reynold laughed, and shrugged the stubber higher up his shouders. "As close to a hug as you'll ever get from the protector of Formosa." Merit thought she saw a small smile touch the corners of Coteaz's knife-wound mouth.

"Time?"

Merit consulted her chron. "Up to sixty seconds."

"Be ready. I hear they die hard."

Deployment
    Spoiler
    Show

Purge The Alien, standard deployment. Coteaz and the overlord roll Warlord traits. Overlord picks up Move Through Cover, Coteaz gets re-deployment, which would be lovely were he not deploying second anyway. Coteaz rolls powers, picks up Scriers Gaze and Prescience.

Necrons deploy spread out along their zone, with the scarabs on the far left, the C'tan and Barge in the middle, the warriors beside them, and the Immortals with the characters on the far right. Almost everything is in some or other cover.

Coteaz joins the foot squad of acolytes and beds down in cover. The veteran squad and other acolyte squad, both in chimeras, deploy near there ready to move out in response to the necron actions. Both Joakero generate a 5+ invulnerable for their units. The Vendetta, the other veteran squad, and the Lord-Commissar, all go back to reserve.

Torquemada-f**king Coteaz then seizes the initiative. Of course he does.

Turn one
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Grey Knights begin the game, as usual, by barely moving at all. The Guard Chimera moves to the next piece of cover, but that’s it. Coteaz manifests prescience, and his unit blasts two warriors to pieces. The Joakero in the other chimera kill two immortals, however all but one immortal passes their reanimation roll.

Necrons implacably advance, as they do. C’tan and scarabs run, while the immortals teleport. A lucky Scatter roll takes them outside the range of Coteaz’s “I’ve Been Expecting You” ability, and they open fire on the chimera, failing to so much as scratch it despite eight hits. The warriors shoot, and claim a hull point from the IG chimera.

Turn two
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Vendetta arrives from Outflank, and enters from the right side without Coteaz even needing to roll Scriers Gaze. It sets it’s sights on the C'tan, and knocks a wound off.
    The Immortals are the clear and present danger- the Chimera won’t survive another round of shooting. Everything on that flank opens up at them, taking out seven and the cryptek. Coteaz’s Psyber-Eagle hits the overlord, and takes off a wound. Of course it does. The guardsmen’s chimera shoots the immortals too: does nothing. This proves A Mistake. Three Immortals and the Cryptek reanimate.

The C'tan and scarabs advance on chimera. For a slow, implacable army, they can be pretty speedy. The Warriors take up position in ruins: the immortals edge into rapid fire range. The barge fails to so much as scratch vendettas paintwork. Immortals glance spam one chimera to death, the scarabs chew the other into exploding in their face, most of squad inside killed. Only the Sargeant and two guardsmen survive. The death of the Chimera marks First Blood to the necrons.

Kill points: Necrons 3, Coteaz 0

Turn Three
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Vendetta sweeps forward, deploying its veterans and lining up on the chariot in a way that, it transpired later, it should have been completely unable to do. (I thought fliers could turn 90deg at the start or end of their move). Everything shoots the immortals. The immortals are wiped out to a man, including the Cryptek and the Overlord, both killed by storm bolter shots. Slay the Warlord goes to Coteaz, although the Cryptek successfully reanimates. The Vendetta shoots the chariot, destroying it. The veterans shoot the warriors, killing one, which immediately reanimates. Veteran chimera explosion survivors retreat and shoot: killing one scarab base. It doesn't help them.

The Scarabs swarm one squad of veterans, while the C'tan advances on the other. Cryptek flames one acolyte squad, killing nearly half of them, including a joakero. The C’Tan uses its “Gaze of Flame” on the veteran squad, followed by a round of shooting from the warriors. The total effect: only the Lord-Commissar survives. The C’Tan charges the Lord-Commissar, and cuts him down easily. The scarabs kill all but the other veteran Sargeant, who passes his leadership and, in a stroke of bad luck, remains alive and in combat.

Kill points: Necrons 5, Coteaz 4

Turn Four
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Vendetta does the best it can to stay on the board, but is unable to line up its lascannons. One acolyte squad kills the cryptek, while Coteaz’s squad opens fire at C'Tan. They so comprehensively whiffs the rolls as to only do a single wound, from a storm bolter. Coteaz rolls attacks for his Psyber-eagle, and gets a one. He then misses with this attack. Of course he does. The scarabs, protected from being shot by their combat, kill the veteran sargeant.

The necrons advance a little more, but fail to score any more kills. The game ends, as both of us have trains to catch.

Final Kill points: Necrons 6, Coteaz 5

Necrons win!

So. Coteaz and the vendetta once again proved themselves worth their points twice over. I feel like it could have gone very differently had we been playing an objective game- i had twice as many troops choices as him, and far greater mobility.

The Convocation at Baden's Reach, Part II
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Call the retreat.”

Merit twisted away from the window and blew another crawling metallic thing from the sill with a snapped shot. It dropped into the swamp and vanished without a ripple. “Sorry, sir?”

“Call the retreat. We can’t hold them here.” Coteaz lifted a tiny Comm-bead to his lips. “Prepare to retreat. Head for the shuttles. Thelony, air support. Keep the daemon distracted. Arkham?”

“Yes, sir?” The tinny voice of the shipmaster above sounded in Merit’s ear.

“Three melta torpedos. This communicator’s location.”

“Torpedos loaded. Firing in two-forty seconds.”

“Do it in sixty. Reynold?”

The ganger understood the message immediately, and took one hand from his stubber and held it out. Coteaz threw the communicator. Reynold snatched it from the air and gripped it between his teeth, leaving his hands free to spin the stubber around and blow fist-sized chunks of masonry out of the walls. The metal skeleton stepping through the window staggered backward, and Reyknold grimaced around the bead as he focussed his fire.

Merit ran, ran with the rest of them, ran for the safety of the prefab landing pad and the shuttles off-planet. The last she saw of Reynold, he was throwing aside his stubber and drawing his bolt pistol, preparing to pump shot after shot into the golden daemon that had killed Yerr, as it stepped through the wall and fell upon him.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2013-06-18 at 09:54 AM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Nice battle report, well written and containing a nice bit of fluff to flesh it out
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

27. - Top - End - #567

MindFlayer

Bonding Knife Ritual: Too expensive and infrequently used on Fire Warriors and Pathfinders for it to be worth it. Broadsides should be at the back and thus are likely to run off the board in a single turn. Crisis and Stealth teams might be able to make use of it though, but only if you've got those 3 points drifting around spare.
    Worth noting that Heroic Morale only comes into play if a unit is reduced below 25% of it's starting size. Meaning that you need at least 5 models in a unit for the ritual to mean anything. A three-man Crisis squad or Stealth team doesn't benefit.

Otherwise, I haven't played enough to say anything but thank you.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Tome's (probably mistake-filled) Guide to Tau
    I don't think there are any mistakes, just that at some points it's kind of vague. But, since it's nicer than anything I would've written about some of the units, you're going on the OP!
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

29. - Top - End - #569
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I use a bastion from time to time. It's not as useful as a defense line for protecting your army and the heavy bolters it brings aren't all that useful, though it does make a good strongpoint to garrison a squad or two of havoc marines in. I do tend to play in high point games and use two primary detachments though so I take a bastion and a defense line.

In lower point games I think I'd favor a defense line though, less points and you can protect more squads with it.
    I'm thinking about taking one for garrisoning one of my two units of Inquisitorial Psykers and Plasma Cannon Servitors (which gives the unit exactly 4 weapons it needs to fire). The alternative is to give them a Chimera, but I'm not sure that two Chimeras with a 4+ cover save is as tough as one chimera and an AV14 building (especially when the chimera might be able to get a 3+ cover save from the building if it positions itself just right).

How about that blind spot question I had? I don't have a bastion (or know anyone who does), so I can't check to see if there's any angles where two firepoints can't line up on (4 weapons + only one building firepoint that can see = 2 wasted weapons).
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonOfDoubt View Post
    Worth noting that Heroic Morale only comes into play if a unit is reduced below 25% of it's starting size. Meaning that you need at least 5 models in a unit for the ritual to mean anything. A three-man Crisis squad or Stealth team doesn't benefit.
    Noted and corrected.