New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: OOTS #887 - The Discussion Thread

I've been thinking (not sure if anyone else brought up this before)... What if this page is a mesh of the individual illusions each member (sans Belkar) are having, rather than a shared illusion? So, we see a bit of every illusion, but Roy doesn't see Haley swimming in gold or Tarquin and Nale going good, and so on. With that, we'd have the opportunity for the illusions to be conflicting (something we don't actually see happening), and we could get Belkar's illusion next.

It would be great to have a page dedicated to what Belkar wants most now. It would show us exactly how far his character has developed, with no "pretending to be a team player while still being a psychopath". I imagine such an illusion would still show us he wants to cause a lot of death, but at the very least it would show some desire to save Durkon.

That, or Durkon being alive, while Belkar dies, is Belkar's contribution to the shared illusion, a consequence of his survivor's guilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

This comic just makes me more anxious of what is going on outside the illusion. I wonder how much time has passed. The Linear Guild is getting closer and the Order are sitting ducks. How will the Order free themselves from the illusion?
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've said it in the previous thread, and I'll say it again: what will break the spell is Hinjo's sending reaching through to Roy's mind and announcing the arrival of Xykon and the destruction of the resistance. Which will make Roy go "Wait, that can't be, we killed Xykon, and we fought alongside Thahn and the others to retake Azure City! How can they be...", thus planting a seed of doubt.

And it's painfully obvious it is a shared illusion. Give it up with your silly "separated fantasies" theories.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Absolutely outstanding update. I'm curious if this is just seen through Roy's eyes - and his empathy for his friends shows their happy endings as well, or if we're seeing multiple perspectives. I'm pretty sure it's just Roy.

I really like how from Roy's perspective, Belkar stays dead, and they bury him with a hero's grave, but don't try to resurrect him. Belkar is dangerous and evil, and Roy's life would (usually) be better without him.

I'm very curious what the illusion is doing in Belkar's mind. Is it nothin' but killin' and killin' and killin', or are he and Mr. Scruffy hanging out on the beach with nothing but cold beer and hot women for miles and miles?

In any case, Draketooth's illusion is absolutely brilliant in its insidiousness.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, doesn'tt it fulfills elan's happy ending.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, when did the illusion take over ?

We first see the runes at the start of 885. We know that at the end of 886 we see from outside that they are under it's control, that their victory over Xykon is in their heads, and that the runes are glowing.

My interpretation is that the rune's glow is only visible if not under the effect of the illusion, and that the rest of the panels from the start of 885 were from the point of view of the party.

That being the case it is quite likely that Xykon has not turned up, and nor has V, who was headed in their direction in 884.

V to turn up and dispel the illusion?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's a shared illusion. Belkar isn't contributing as he died the previous page. Perception is the [illusory] reality.

It could also mean that Belkar is dead in real life, the illusion being so real and his physical, mental and emotional condition being so poor.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It'd be kinda awesome if that were simply the last strip ever, and the readers were left to eventually assume a TPK. Sometimes the game just ends that way.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

After staring at it for some time, I believe the panel after Elan with the lolipop is actually V arriving to visit Haley, Elan, and their children.

I say this because V(and it's obviously V) appears to be flying, V and Haley are great friends even before they joined the order and would likely continue to be so even years after the adventure ends, and because there are 3 blonds and 2 red heads of varying heights in the panel.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Interesting... nobody even tried to raise Belkar? He's such a good...

Oh, wait.

Well... too bad it's just an illusion.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the idea that Belkar's fantasy is that he died instead of Durkon. Beyond that, it's clearly a combination of Roy, Elan and Haley's fantasies as opposed to any individual and I suspect the reason we don't see Belkar's is because we will either see it next page (it being a significant aspect of his character development) or we will never see it (in order to continue the masking of how deep his character development really is)

12. - Top - End - #282
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Wait, doesn'tt it fulfills elan's happy ending.
    I doubt it - it's an extreme closeup of Roy's eye we're looking at (note the dark patch in the top right corner, that's his forehead.) If this were meant to be Elan's happy ending we'd see his eye instead.

Plus, there are details that Elan doesn't know e.g. what Eugene looks like, Julia's attitude towards Roy etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

I read most of the posts on today's strip, but not all, but I only noticed one other person who posted this, but...

It seems BLATANTLY obvious to me that this is Rich's way of ending the book without ending the story arc. The book is, as many have pointed out, running long already, so if he wanted to fit the entire arc into the book he would have to wrap it up rather quickly. So, instead, give the book a "psudo-ending", while keeping the story arc open.

I mean, when I saw this comic, the very first thing that popped into my mind was "end of the book", before I even noticed what was in the strip. It just looks like an "ending" strip to me, even though the comic itself obviously hasn't ended.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I so love that part of Elan's happy ending is that he gets to ride a dinosaur.
    Telling someone they have some kind of mental problem because they disagree with you is not a good argument.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

A few things:

1. I wonder who that is trapped in the force cage in the panel of Haley swimming in the treasure.

2. Why would the MITD be shaking hands with Ochul in any of their combined fantasies?

3. I'm fairly certain this is a combined illusion based on the first couple of panels. If anything, all of these images fall in line with the last pages - Xykon has been defeated.

4. That Belkar is dead could be because Roy and Haley both know he will be dying soon, and in the previous illusion he died in the battle.

5. Anyone else find it weird that in panel 881 they find out Durkon's a vampire, but in this illusion he shows up fine with a friendly Malek. In the 5 stages of grief - Denial?

6. I love the Mount Doom reference with Xykon's philactery.

7. I notice that while they are fixing the gate on Durukon's tear, they don't fix Azure city, or have any reference to the Gate they are currently hunting down in pyramid.

8. I love the reference to the swirly eyes from the last panel in this set up. We are legit seeing into their eyes.

Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

NOT a theory: what we are seeing is a shared illusion. This 'frozen in place' stupefaction IS necessary to move the plot forward, as what happens next will directly follow from this current situation. This is NOT Elan's "happy ending".

Simple reading comprehension and basic understanding of story structure leave these conclusions in 0 doubt. None.

Theory: V will stumble upon the party, and break the illusion, and the Order will be down another member, as Belkars disillusionment (pun unintended, but serendipitous) with the order will now be complete.

Side note: I get the impression that some readers might be best served to call Rich up, and get the rest of the story in a flat monotone, "and then this happens, and then this happens, and then..." since there seems to be little appreciation for the nuance of storytelling among such folks.
    I participated!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasLawyer View Post
    I'm not guessing or questioning anything anymore. I'm just here to enjoy the free buffet.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I doubt it - it's an extreme closeup of Roy's eye we're looking at (note the dark patch in the top right corner, that's his forehead.) If this were meant to be Elan's happy ending we'd see his eye instead.
    That's the rune wall in the Malack panel being distorted, like the floor in the Gobbotopia panel.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

18. - Top - End - #288
    Colossus in the Playground

Uck...*shakes off the "this is Elan's prophecy!" debate*

It has to be a mixed vision. I can believe that Roy would believe Xykon suddenly recognizing him, but not that anyone but Elan would believe Tarquin--and Nale!--suddenly being allies. The "Haley swimming in gold" panel (among others) clearly comes from Haley's mind, and yet she'd be the least likely to ever believe Tarquin could be a genuine ally....And so on.

19. - Top - End - #289

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    A few things:

1. I wonder who that is trapped in the force cage in the panel of Haley swimming in the treasure.
    That's an open doorway, not a forcecage. (The person standing in it is Elan, watching her.)

2. Why would the MITD be shaking hands with Ochul in any of their combined fantasies?
    ...Good question, I don't think even V or Haley saw the dynamic between those two. Though O-Chul could have mentioned his friendship with the monster to Roy/Hinjo during the tactical debrief.

3. I'm fairly certain this is a combined illusion based on the first couple of panels. If anything, all of these images fall in line with the last pages - Xykon has been defeated.
    Agreed, there are definitely elements of other minds besides Roy's creeping in.

4. That Belkar is dead could be because Roy and Haley both know he will be dying soon, and in the previous illusion he died in the battle.
    The curiosity here is not so much that Belkar is dead, but that he was left dead, which would fit with Roy more than anyone else.

5. Anyone else find it weird that in panel 881 they find out Durkon's a vampire, but in this illusion he shows up fine with a friendly Malek. In the 5 stages of grief - Denial?
    Yep - Definitely Roy's invention there.

7. I notice that while they are fixing the gate on Durukon's tear, they don't fix Azure city, or have any reference to the Gate they are currently hunting down in pyramid.
    I would guess that one scene was simply meant to say "...and then we repaired the gates!" without necessarily having to show all of them being visited.

8. I love the reference to the swirly eyes from the last panel in this set up. We are legit seeing into their eyes.

Just Roy's eye if my theory is right.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    That's the rune wall in the Malack panel being distorted, like the floor in the Gobbotopia panel.
    No, above the runes. The border just past the runes in that panel is the edge of Roy's eye, with the dark part above that being his forehead.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #291
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    This. I get the feeling a decent amount of time is passing.
    A max of a day or two could pass. Remember that they're humans (and a halfling), they can't survive without water for more than a day or two.
    Besides, I doubt it would last that long without the Linear Guild or V finding them.

Also, no one will believe me, but I totally called it being an illusion from the moment Xykon stepped into the room.
    Last edited by imaloony; 2013-05-13 at 09:34 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

No, above the runes. The border just past the runes in that panel is the edge of Roy's eye, with the dark part above that being his forehead.
    That's still part of the wall. Well, ceiling actually. Look at the last 2 strips.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I wonder how long is this illusion lasting. it seems to have gone on for a while. has they been trapped for hours? days? more? maybe nale and his companions were equally trapped?

Aside from that, showing an illusion wouldn't have much point to the story, so I think there must be some reason we are being shown this. I wonder what it could be.

And I totally loved the scene with roy and julia passing under roy's statue. the looks on their faces were... were... I have no words for it. Shows once more how stick figures can be more expressive than real ones
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

24. - Top - End - #294
    Colossus in the Playground

Goddamn...But if this is a shared vision, then where's Belkar? I am so scared as to what happens when they wake up. Fantastic job, Giant.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

That's just the start of the spiral. It could still be only Roy's illusion, but that little patch of color doesn't mean anything.

A few things:
    I think it's just Elan standing in the doorway

The comic's readers have also fallen under the illusion. We ALL failed our will saves.

There might be some similarities between the illusions, but there's nothing specific I think to say we are seeing only one or the other.

Or it's evidence that this is JUST Roy's illusion.

There's a pic of them rescuing Azure city from the goblins; how many panels do we need of V and Durkon casting spells on a gate?
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2013-05-13 at 09:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    That's still part of the wall. Well, ceiling actually. Look at the last 2 strips.
    Not if we're looking at a giant eye.

It's all speculation at this point anyway, so we'll have to wait and see. But I still say that's Roy's eye. More of the scenes there could only have come from him than anyone else.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #297
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

This update made me water up a little bit, though that remains to be seen if its sleep deprivation or both.

/crraaazy theory- the order levels up from roleplaying xp inside the illusion/

28. - Top - End - #298
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deimos3428 View Post
    It'd be kinda awesome if that were simply the last strip ever, and the readers were left to eventually assume a TPK. Sometimes the game just ends that way.
    So what you're saying is that the comics after this one are just delusions our pathetic minds came up with to deal with it?
    Last edited by y2kyle89; 2013-05-13 at 09:44 AM. Reason: It's 8-bit Theater all over again!

29. - Top - End - #299
    Pixie in the Playground

Don't know why but seems like a turning point to me

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Belkar's probably too winded/anemic to be influenced properly by the illusion, so it "killed" him. OR, Roy's subconscious is informing him of the Oracle's prophecy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html), and it's his mind that's killing Belkar off.

My two cents. Excellent strip.