Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lightbulb World idea thread

I have a campaign in mind, in which you travel from universe to universe, and are trying to get back home. One problem with this is that I need a lot of worlds, as we're not really going to stay at any for long. So far, I have a few plans. one is, roll a D20 for monster level and one for money level. And roll a D100 for how hostile they are. And basically flip a coin on if there are any sentient beings on the planet. I don't care about the time frame, or tech level. I plan on having modern worlds, empty worlds, you name it. Think of it as have fun making a basic idea of a world, and maybe a few exact things to make it interesting. I will also have two types of magic, a mana system, that uses a new skill I'll make, along with how much mana is in that universe, and the normal method. Roll a D20 for the mana please. Format doesn't really matter, but it might help if you kept all the rolls close together for easy reference. Few other things you can add are how far do you want the goal to be? And how's the terrain? Lots of small islands? Lots of small, active volcanoes? NO WATER? (would be fun, that one) Just have fun with them, one more thing, is the shadow plane inhabited? As I'm having a shadow dancer, and I want to know if he takes damage every shadow jump. I'm fine anyway you do it, I'm flexible. Have fun!
    (Also, feel free to take any worlds here for your own campaign, I don't mind. at all. In encourage it, Also, feel free to link me to other world threads.)
    Last edited by Jimlad; 2013-05-15 at 07:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: World idea thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Nice, I'd forgotten to look at TV shows, Thanks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

So, basically, you're just looking for some people to flex some homebrew muscle to mint a fistful of new worlds for your campaign?

Sounds like a fun little concept, I'd be happy to start working on some for you. It's a fun little exercise in world generation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    So, basically, you're just looking for some people to flex some homebrew muscle to mint a fistful of new worlds for your campaign?

Sounds like a fun little concept, I'd be happy to start working on some for you. It's a fun little exercise in world generation.
    More or less, And thanks for the help! Will be fun to see what people come up with. And I plan on one or two world with no air, so I'm not blocking anything.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think I should be the one to start off to show you what it is I want, so here it goes.

World one:
    This world is made up of many small islands, normal size is about twenty feet wide, some bigger, some smaller. they're about five - twenty feet apart in the old contenate lands. the air is hard to breath as it's filled with ash from the many constent volcanos. But the natives don't seem to mind. the air makes water more needed, every hour you make a thirst check, also. DC is twice the number of hours you've had no water. the air also gives a -1 on concentration checks. it's inhabeted by fish people, they have very good understanding, but not good tech. they have no citys, they do have one thing they are trying to make, a device to make earthquakes to stableize volcanos. the planet also has fire elementals roaming the land, and every island seems to have someone/thing that's claimed it. All the rest of the creatures are as expected. the goal is in the earthquake research area.
    Rolls: (I'm just guessing, rolling isn't the most importent thing.)
    monster level: 5-12
    money: 1-6
    hostility: 100 (the prophesied ones! the ons who are going to kill the world!)

that help at all? just a rough sketch is about all I need.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

A world where [insert Villianous Race a] is in a similar geographical position, but a very different position in terms of reputation and culture.

(I'm actually using this in a world I keep kicking ideas around my head for, with Dark Elves being said [Villianous Race a])

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    A world where [insert Villianous Race a] is in a similar geographical position, but a very different position in terms of reputation and culture.

(I'm actually using this in a world I keep kicking ideas around my head for, with Dark Elves being said [Villianous Race a])
    Not sure I understand this one, similar to what? And my plan is to not have any race specifically evil.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Similar to their geographical position in the 'home' campaign world. Or their stereotypical geographical position.

Orcs and wilderness, for example.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Similar to their geographical position in the 'home' campaign world. Or their stereotypical geographical position.

Orcs and wilderness, for example.
    Got it. I shall do some variations of they're home world, Ha, I could even have them get back, but it's just so different that they think it's not the real thing! They shall hate me so much once they get back...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds a lot like The Homeward Bounders. It would be pretty cool if you ended in the same way that book ends.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Sounds a lot like The Homeward Bounders. It would be pretty cool if you ended in the same way that book ends.
    Mainly just haven't been saying much about the campaign, eh, why not, I'll explain it a bit more on the forums, see if that helps when DMing it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The campaign is based off of myst, and starting level will be level 5. nothing complex, to start off, the players where battling a powerful mage one by one, and because the players where somewhat powerful, lots of potential, and easily beaten by him, he locked them in some form of chrono prison, in which time doesn't pass for them. when they are released, it's because the spell failed. badly. Add about 5-10 years of age to the players, and have one make a knowledge arcane check to see if he knows that it failed. From there, they see they're in a cave, and no why out. They see that there is some sort of lab in the cave, it's an old lab, and it has a lot of research, all of it seeming to be research of BOOKS out of everything, but as they read on, they find that there's one book that's different and once opened, they see a panel in it, showing a different world, they all touch the panel, (if they don't do so willingly, to bad for them. Force them to.) and they link to a different world, where they find a last two left of the D'ni, a race who know and used these book, which they call descriptive books. One will be a person who writes the descriptive books, the other is what they're calling a "guide", he is played by the DM, and seems to know every language. things seem to avoid attacking him, and once the rest of the party is dead, he will unleash his power, He is the D'ni god, He doesn't let others know. using his powers makes that world unstable, bad things happen to it then,and they only get worse as time goes on.
    The players are letting the D'ni writer learn more about writing the worlds,(ages) and are getting him resources to make more books to write in. some of the first stuff he learned was the symbols needed for every ingredient in a descriptive book. and he writes in what he needs for more. And so, the search begins, as you will have a way to scry to find where what you need is, Now you have freedom. I plan on having a home base world, based off of myst island in the first myst game, and I also plan on having some industrial world ages, and some caveman world ages.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

A formerly dead world terraformed by epic level Transmutation wizards, Clerics, Druids ect seeding the planet. Ect, This very concept is currently one of many world building projects for me.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzi View Post
    A formerly dead world terraformed by epic level Transmutation wizards, Clerics, Druids ect seeding the planet. Ect, This very concept is currently one of many world building projects for me.
    Nice, I like that one, Might even be able to have some help you later on, if the players don't kill them all, which they might. Anyway! Let's see, how to make this work? Maybe they also know how to use linking books! That would make them more important, and also let them have/be bad guys later on! Will use! Thanks.
    Last edited by Jimlad; 2013-05-20 at 08:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

World is overrun by an empire of giants who enslave the "lesser" races. They also have magic items that can "uplift" the small people (just permanently enlarge them), but they only do so to the worthy. Which are determined, usually, by gladiator-style tournaments.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    World is overrun by an empire of giants who enslave the "lesser" races. They also have magic items that can "uplift" the small people (just permanently enlarge them), but they only do so to the worthy. Which are determined, usually, by gladiator-style tournaments.
    That sounds fun, also sounds like there needs to be an underground movement of the normal sized ones. Maybe some infiltrated the giants by making they're own magic items to enlarge them, maybe not quite as long lasting.

17. - Top - End - #17

Hey, I'm sorry to see this getting no love. I was going to wait for someone else to post a world before I did it again, but I think it needs/deserves a bump.

World: All but three or four gods "raptured" their followers 5-10 years ago, leaving a vastly depopulated world with a few strongly united factions. However, it wasn't "good" people who were taken, but the neutral. The alignments have been highly polarized and force everyone to choose good or evil.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Nod, get treat.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, I'm sorry to see this getting no love. I was going to wait for someone else to post a world before I did it again, but I think it needs/deserves a bump.

World: All but three or four gods "raptured" their followers 5-10 years ago, leaving a vastly depopulated world with a few strongly united factions. However, it wasn't "good" people who were taken, but the neutral. The alignments have been highly polarized and force everyone to choose good or evil.
    There are a few ways to use that, one I would think about is a DOTA style world, another is a race for what the gods used to wipe out the nutral guys, and try and change it to wipe out the other side, Could have some fun with that one. And thanks for the bump and the help!

19. - Top - End - #19

Wow, I still can't understand how people aren't jumping on this. Are they all idea-hoarders or something?

Anyway, new world: The players find themselves on an utterly desolate world. There are no living things, not even plants, and no visible sources of water. The air is thin, causing fortitude saves for running or forced marches in half the normal time and causing suffocation to occur twice as rapidly if a character suffers it. Effects that normally cause fatigue cause exhaustion instead. The only animate beings are a strange form of undead, but they seem just as drained of energy as the landscape.

Dust mummies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Undead
    Hitdice: 1d12 (9 hp)
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 30ft.
    AC: 9 (-1 dex)
    Base Attack/grapple: +1, +1
    Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d6)
    Full Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d6 + improved grab)
    Space Reach: 5 ft /5 ft
    Special Attack: Bite, Improved Grab
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/slashing, Fragility, Darkvision 60 ft, Undead Traits.
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref -1, Will +3
    Abilities: Strength 10, Dex 9, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Feats: Toughness
    Environment: Deserts
    Organization: Any
    CR: 1/4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
    Advancement: None

The creature before you looks like a dried-out zombie or a mummy minus its wrappings. It shuffles awkwardly towards you, letting out a dry hiss.

Dust mummies are rarely created on purpose. They sometimes form when a humanoid dies of thirst or starvation on unhallowed ground, but more often they are the result of failed necromancy. The negative energy that powers their horrid unlife is weak and tenuously connected to them, and very easily disrupted. Sometimes, if negative energy is siphoned from them, other types of undead can degenerate into dust mummies. They are ravenous creatures, either way, and their main combat tactics are to simply grab and consume any living creature they see, not even bothering to kill it before biting off chunks of flesh, though their weakness means that only in large numbers do they represent even the slightest threat.

Improved Grab: When it full attacks, the dust mummy can automatically start a grapple with an opponent it hits with its slam attack without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Bite: The dust mummy automatically bites its opponent for 1d6 damage when it is in a grapple. If it also wins the grapple check, it deals slam damage.

Fragility: The dust mummy has a 50% chance of being destroyed any time it is dealt at least 1 point of damage or any time an attack roll would have been a critical threat. However it is destroyed, it dissolves into dust.

Turning vulnerability: The dust mummy is automatically destroyed if in range of a cleric's turn undead ability, and its hitdice do not count towards the cleric's turning damage. A single point of damage from positive energy also destroys it. Dust mummies are automatically commanded by a rebuke undead use, but they do count towards the hitdice total in this case.

However, if the players pop on over to the astral plane, they find the refugees of this world hiding there, the only possible method to survive whatever disaster drained this world of all energy and life.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2013-06-15 at 05:08 PM.

Nod, get treat.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, I still can't understand how people aren't jumping on this. Are they all idea-hoarders or something?

Anyway, new world: The players find themselves on an utterly desolate world. There are no living things, not even plants, and no visible sources of water. The air is thin, causing fortitude saves for running or forced marches in half the normal time and causing suffocation to occur twice as rapidly if a character suffers it. Effects that normally cause fatigue cause exhaustion instead. The only animate beings are a strange form of undead, but they seem just as drained of energy as the landscape.

Dust mummies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Medium Undead
    Hitdice: 1d12 (9 hp)
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 30ft.
    AC: 9 (-1 dex)
    Base Attack/grapple: +1, +1
    Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d6)
    Full Attack: Slam +1 melee (1d6 + improved grab)
    Space Reach: 5 ft /5 ft
    Special Attack: Bite, Improved Grab
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/slashing, Fragility, Darkvision 60 ft, Undead Traits.
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref -1, Will +3
    Abilities: Strength 10, Dex 9, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Feats: Toughness
    Environment: Deserts
    Organization: Any
    CR: 1/4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
    Advancement: None

The creature before you looks like a dried-out zombie or a mummy minus its wrappings. It shuffles awkwardly towards you, letting out a dry hiss.

Dust mummies are rarely created on purpose. They sometimes form when a humanoid dies of thirst or starvation on unhallowed ground, but more often they are the result of failed necromancy. The negative energy that powers their horrid unlife is weak and tenuously connected to them, and very easily disrupted. Sometimes, if negative energy is siphoned from them, other types of undead can degenerate into dust mummies. They are ravenous creatures, either way, and their main combat tactics are to simply grab and consume any living creature they see, not even bothering to kill it before biting off chunks of flesh, though their weakness means that only in large numbers do they represent even the slightest threat.

Improved Grab: When it full attacks, the dust mummy can automatically start a grapple with an opponent it hits with its slam attack without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Bite: The dust mummy automatically bites its opponent for 1d6 damage when it is in a grapple. If it also wins the grapple check, it deals slam damage.

Fragility: The dust mummy has a 50% chance of being destroyed any time it is dealt at least 1 point of damage or any time an attack roll would have been a critical threat. However it is destroyed, it dissolves into dust.

Turning vulnerability: The dust mummy is automatically destroyed if in range of a cleric's turn undead ability, and its hitdice do not count towards the cleric's turning damage. A single point of damage from positive energy also destroys it. Dust mummies are automatically commanded by a rebuke undead use, but they do count towards the hitdice total in this case.

However, if the players pop on over to the astral plane, they find the refugees of this world hiding there, the only possible method to survive whatever disaster drained this world of all energy and life.
    I know, so little activity here! And I like this idea with refugees in the astral plane, I feel like the walls between the planes should be thinner in this world, and so some of the portals that the refugees used to get out should randomly reopen, letting the players in more easily. Also, one of the players is going to be a shadow dancers, so I'll have them scattered about all the planes, and the shadow plane's how we're going to know where all the inhabitants are.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think a lot of it is the idea that we want to work out all the kinks of a world before letting anyone see it, and Sliders-esque world-hopping doesn't really lend itself to that kind of scrutiny.

With that said:

Blood Magic world. Magic, all magic, consumes a bit of blood when casting. The powerful are therefore those who can store and keep vast amounts of blood, blood is used as currency in many places, etc. Rules-wise, 1 ml of blood per level is added as a physical component for every spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I think a lot of it is the idea that we want to work out all the kinks of a world before letting anyone see it, and Sliders-esque world-hopping doesn't really lend itself to that kind of scrutiny.

With that said:

Blood Magic world. Magic, all magic, consumes a bit of blood when casting. The powerful are therefore those who can store and keep vast amounts of blood, blood is used as currency in many places, etc. Rules-wise, 1 ml of blood per level is added as a physical component for every spell.
    Yeah, my plan was to sort of act as a wall people could bounce ideas off of, but to make that happen, people would have to post ideas, so...

Anyway, about your idea, I think that's a very good, different world, and I was planning on having some worlds have different rules, some small changes, others big like this. Now, on each world they have some material they need to get, how does it act in this world... what about the most powerful wizard is able to ignore the blood rule because of what the PC's need? That would make a nice fight against a wizard who can do something they can't, while they can do something he can't. (mana system I'm adding)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jimlad View Post
    Yeah, my plan was to sort of act as a wall people could bounce ideas off of, but to make that happen, people would have to post ideas, so...

Anyway, about your idea, I think that's a very good, different world, and I was planning on having some worlds have different rules, some small changes, others big like this. Now, on each world they have some material they need to get, how does it act in this world... what about the most powerful wizard is able to ignore the blood rule because of what the PC's need? That would make a nice fight against a wizard who can do something they can't, while they can do something he can't. (mana system I'm adding)
    re: the boss fight: That's easy. Just show the PCs the wizard's collection of blood, with the idea that "I got so much blood, I can just siphon it off the top of my stashed; I don't need to personally sacrifice it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.