A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default IC: Marvel Heroic (Breakout)

A dark sky hangs over New York City, blotting out the afternoon sun and bringing a chill to the air. Everywhere can be heard the hustle and bustle of countless lives going about their daily business - business that is about to be interrupted...

A sound like thunder slams the city, literally shaking cars and pedestrians as it passes through, and then... silence. Whole blocks go dim one after another until the entirety of the Big Apple lies shrouded in near-darkness. A few long and confusing moments pass and then another thunderclap, mixed with the sounds of demolition on a grand scale and accompanied by lightning from the direction of the East River.

Lightning traveling in the wrong direction...

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, so that's the intro. I've written worse I'm sure. It's what's officially called a Transition Scene, so please describe what your character was up to when this happened and what he's going to do about it... which will hopefully involve investigating it further... because that's the point of this little scenario...

Don't forget to post your character as your first post in the OOC. Game on!
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    [MHRPG] Breakout: IC OOC
    [Toypocalypse] Some Assembly Required IC OOC
    MHRPG Cyclops

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: IC: Marvel Heroic (Breakout)

Nightcrawler
    Big Apple, 3 PM

It was rare that Kurt made visits to the Empire City that didn't involve some sort of mutant attack, alien invasion, or giant monster rising from beneath the Earth's crust. And this was a particularly exceptional visit. Tonight, one night only, the Moonlight Theater would be holding an Errol Flynn marathon! Though he already had all the movies, seeing 'Captain Blood' or 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' on the big screen was just a different experience, one he absolutely relished when he had the chance.

Of course, before he made it into the theater, he heard the sound of the thunder and the ground shake beneath his feet. As the city went dark, he realized that tonight would not be his night. And then there was the second thunderclap and he stared at the huge bolt of lightning that shot up into the sky, "Mein gott!"

However, Kurt Wagner was never a man to simply stand by while a catastrophe took place. Whatever was happening, he would get to the bottom of it. With a loud BAMF he disappeared from the city streets to land upon the roof of one of the many large buildings that dotted the NYC. The Raft, the supervillain prison, had been blown open, and a cold chill ran down his spine. Running along the roof, he doffed his civilian attire, leapt off, and teleported to the scene of the action.
    Last edited by AvianMalkavian; 2013-05-15 at 09:49 PM.
    Amazing ponified avatar by Madcrafter!

Original avatar by the awesome Savannah:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Nightcrawler's series of teleports brings him to the landing deck of the Raft, a supermax prison facility for some of the most powerful super villains on the planet, barely a minute after the first thunderclap. A giant hole has been blown in the side of the island and Debris is still settling. The the air is heavy with the smoke of Dozens of Little Fires - and several not so little ones. Kurt sees a pair of figures fleeing from the scene - one flying and carrying the other - but is quickly interrupted by an Outpouring of Inmates who seem bent on total destruction. It looks like mostly comprised of unorganized thugs with little to no superpowers.

To top it all off, it has begun to Rain and puddles have already begun to form on the deck. There are scant few S.H.I.E.L.D. agents in sight, mostly still trying to recover from the initial shock - easy pickings for the determined prisoners. Should he decide to bypass the impending battle, Nightcrawler could try to get through the Reinforced Entry Bay Doors located nearby. Whether they are still operable or not is anyone's guess.
    Spoiler
    Show

Doom Pool: 2d6
    I'll leave it up to Nightcrawler what he wants to do, though I genuinely hope he tries to beat up some of these bad guys. I think I did that all right, things in bold are Scene Distinctions. Let's rock!
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Captain Marvel
    Avengers Mansion

Carol was trying, desperately, to relax. Low lights, a bubble bath, soft music... but her mind was still racing a mile a minute, focusing mostly on the work she had to do liaising between the Department of Homeland Security and SHIELD. Briefs, reports, deployment... she was jetlagged from a earlier meeting in Prague, and she was only in NYC in a nondescript SHIELD safehouse apartment until her meeting in Washington, DC tomorrow, and she had resolved to try to unwind and catch up on some sleep.

But now, she just felt like she was wasting time. Opening her eyes, Carol blew a stray bubble away from her face and with a harumph got out of the tub.

Relaxation simply was not her thing.

So Carol's nerves were already quite frayed as she paced the empty apartment in sweats, her hands and head full of dossiers, when the thunderclap and blackout hit. As she looked out the glass balcony doors, she saw the blast of lightning coming from the direction of the East River...

...where the Raft was.

Carol wasn't going to get rest anytime soon, it seemed.

As she quickly changed into her new uniform, she popped her SHIELD communicator into her ear.

"This is Captain Marvel. There was just an electrical disturbance, like lightning, coming from the East River in the direction of the Raft... what the hell was that?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Carol's only answer is the hiss of static in her ear...
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

6. - Top - End - #6

Tapping the stupid comm in her ear, Carol let out a disgusted sound.

In case it was just the reception on her end, she said, "I do not copy, repeat I do not copy. I am heading to the Raft to investigate. Captain Marvel, out."

Once she was fully garbed as Captain Marvel, she pulled open the balcony windows and stepped out into the New York City sky, flying toward the disturbance.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Whether her broadcast was ever received or not Carol doesn't know, but the electrical activity likely had an effect on everything in the area. Hopefully it was temporary.

Captain Marvel takes to the skies and reaches the Raft only moments after the rain starts. The scene below her is more or less what she expected: something bad has happened - and something worse is about to happen if she can't figure out a way to stop the Outpouring of Inmates from escaping. She can see a blue devilish figure on the landing deck and a number of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents nearby, trying to recover from the explosion.
    Spoiler
    Show

Doom Pool: 2d6
    Active Scene Distinctions: Debris, Dozens of Little Fires, Outpouring of Inmates, Rain, S.H.I.E.L.D Agents, Reinforced Entry Bay Doors
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

8. - Top - End - #8

Nightcrawler
    The Raft

"Unglãublich!" Kurt shouted in disbelief as he watched the chaos. He wanted to pursue the pair flying away, but the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents were outnumbered and they needed his help. But before he had a chance to react, he caught sight of another figure in the evening sky. Grinning, he shouted, "Fraulein Danvers! Normally I vould not ask such a vision to dirty her hands, but vould you be so kind as to assist me vith zese men?"

Eager to get to the action, the trained acrobat flipped his way into the fray, using his natural agility and athletic talent to knock them out, "It seems you picked zee wrong day to make your escape, dummkopfs!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Affiliation (Buddy - Kapitän Marvel is here to help!): (1d10)[6]
    Distinction (Dashing Swashbuckler - I'm in like Flynn! ): (1d8)[6]
    Power Set/Power Trait (BAMF!/Superhuman Reflexes - Defeating a mob of villains requires speed and agility): (1d10)[9]
    Specialties (Acrobatics Master - I learned a great deal in Max Getmann's Circus): (1d10)[4]
    SFX (Area Attack): (4d6)[1][3][5][5](14)

Total: 15
    Effect Dice: d10, d10, d6, d6, d6
    Last edited by AvianMalkavian; 2013-05-17 at 01:23 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Shocker
    Herman Schultz's apartment located somewhere in the Bronx, 3.15 PM

Herman was kicking back in his pad in front of his old 90's television set with a couple of brewskis at hand after a hard day's honest work at his local KFC. In this very moment Herman was feeling rather happy for himself, already today he had two police cars drive right past him as he ran red light at an intersection.‘Didn’t even look in my direction.. Fools.’ And, now he was chilling with his closest and almost only friend Aleksei. Putting his feet up on a leg rest he causally thought to himself, 'Today was a good day.'

At that very instant he heard a loud crashing sound, however this was unlike the thunderous roar he had heard coming from outside fifteen minutes prior to this, no this was coming from his very own kitchen. Turning his head back to face the kitchen, Herman saw Aleksei struggling to sweep shards of glass from broken beer bottles under the fridge with his comically gigantic hands. Herman knew those hands weren't good for anything except pummelling $#*!$ like spidey down deep into the ground. At arriving to this conclusion he got up to clear away the mess, whilst his friend returned to his place on the large sofa and his sixteenth bottle of bud.

On his way back into the lounge Herman witnessed Aleksei furiously bashing away at the small buttons on the TV remote, trying in vain that out of the six or seven buttons that he pressed one of them might be able to change channel. Aleksei briefly looked mournfully up from his bottle of beer, and voiced his disappointment, “Hermuun it duun wurk!” The thick, mushmouthed way that Aleksei speaks never settled well upon Herman’s ears. As Aleksei stared into Herman’s eyes, Herman looked back into the void that was Aleksei’s face. ‘His little eyes look ridiculous in that giant head of his.’ Heman’s mind temporarily flicked back to a time before Alexsei became the monstrosity before him that they call the Rhino. Before the Kingpin handed Aleksei over to two old-school KGB Mafioso creeps. ‘Those where the real monsters.. Not us.’ Herman took the remote out of Aleksei’s giant hand and flicked on Cartoon Network, an episode of the Power Puff Girls was showing. ‘At least Aleksei will be happy.’

As Herman took a healthy swig from his budweiser, he watches a cartoon which shows some green anime girl beating some seven shades of $#*! out of some poor monkey fellow with his brain poking out of the top of his head before putting him behind bars, and begins to look back at how many times he’s been thrown in the slammer. ‘Thirty-four times. Been beaten senseless by that spidey freak at least nineteen times. I always get my jaw broken.. Always get hung upside down.’ A clear blood vessel begins to swell on-top his forehead. He thinks of how he gets tagged villain, sometimes even supervillain. He then laughs out aloud to himself as he begins to envision himself beside the real supervillains. ‘Green Goblin. Carnage. Bullseye. Crazyass mother-f**kers! I’m no Red-Freakin’-Skull. No they’re all lunatics... Murderers. Guys like me, Rhino we’re just common crooks. No, opportunists.’

Suddenly the television screen lit up with a new flash, the screen depicted a very concerned looking asian news journalist running towards the Raft, “Welcome back, I’m Tricia Takanawa and reporting just two blocks away from what appears to be a terrorist attack on the Raft. It is highly recommended all New Yorkers stay saf-...” Herman switched the television set off, abrupt fear, concern and worry had suddenly gripped a hold of his body. For his only other friend in this cruel world Maxwell Markham was currently residing cramped up with all those lunatics inside the Raft. Herman knew he would have to go there to keep his buddy from doing anything stupid. And, Maxwell was stupid.

Herman gets up and looks over to Aleksei who seems to have passed out, “...Stupid lout.” He momentarily considers waking Aleksei from his slumber, but then decides that would be a bad idea. Quickly adorning his yellow-and-brown pineapple costume he makes his way for the Raft as fast as he humanly can, ‘The Peugeot,’ he dashes for the keys in the kitchen and leaves the apartment.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Nightcrawler's one-mutant assault on the emerging criminals starts off promising - his first kick lays one out cold, sending him flying back into the crowd. Another quick flip and dropkick drops another to the deck with a loud thud. Some do their best to head away from the battle and make good with the escape - soon realizing that escaping from the Raft, even when un-powered, is easier said than done. The others do their best to lay hands on the nearest target not in an inmate uniform, namely the blue teleporting acrobat in their midst.

"Hey, I know that guy! It's one of dem X-Guys! Get'em!" comes a voice from the crowd.

Spoiler
    Show

Alright, I'm using the Mob on BR14 as my example (I guess it's both a Distinction and Watcher NPC?). I roll 5d6 plus the 1d8 for Swarm and get this:
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d8)[7]
    The best I can do with that is a total of 12 with an effect of d8, which Nightcrawler beats by 3. This reduces the Mob to 4d6. I also bought the opportunity from Nightcrawler, so he gets a PP and I add 1d6 to the Doom Pool (which is now at 3d6). This resolves Nightcrawler's action, there's still Captain Marvel, Shocker, and the Mob to go - and I'm assuming Nightcrawler would pick Captain Marvel to go next but I suppose it's up to him.

Does that all seem about right?
    Last edited by BWS2K; 2013-05-17 at 06:04 PM.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

11. - Top - End - #11

Captain Marvel
    The Raft

As she began descending through the wafting smoke from the Raft, a few things became pretty clear to her fairly immediately: one, the Raft was under attack; two, dangerous prisoners were escaping, some of them supervillains; and three, she was very pissed off.

"Fraulein Danvers! Normally I vould not ask such a vision to dirty her hands, but vould you be so kind as to assist me vith zese men?"

The accent, coupled with the sudden shouts and screams of escaping prisoners getting assaulted by a flurry of fists, feet, and tail coming out of sulfurous dark clouds appearing everywhere at once made it clear the X-Man Nightcrawler was on the scene. Good thing, too; the wardens were in disarray and they'd need as much help as they could get in dealing with this breakout.

"All SHIELD Agents," Captain Marvel called out. Raft personnel needed to get things together, and quick. "Fall back and form up behind me!"

To cover their regroup, Captain Marvel hovered between the Agents and the thickest knot of prisoners. She picked up a gigantic piece of rubble the size of a truck and lifted it menacingly overhead. "STAND DOWN OR BE PUT DOWN!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Intention: Create the Asset: SHIELD Agents
    Action Pool:
    Buddy d6 (only Nightcrawler is actively helpful this round, at least until the SHIELD Agents become an Asset)(1d6)[6]
    SHIELD Agents Scene Distinction (in disarray) d4+1PP (1d4)[3]
    Superhuman Strength (show of force) 1d10 (1d10)[7]
    Combat Expert (combat leadership) (1d8)[1]

Opportunities: 1
    Total: 9
    Effect: d10 SHIELD Agents

This is hugely suboptimal, haha, but its ok. Since the Doom Pool is so low (and its what gets rolled to oppose Asset creation), I didn't use Multipower to include more dice because I didn't feel I needed it, and I didn't want to step down the d10 Superhuman Strength. That total is low, because I didn't bank on rolling a 1 on the d8 (which means I cannot use it), and normally I'd use a PP to add to my total... but I don't have additional dice to add. Plus, I'd rather take my chances and get that d10 Effect die.

For your part, Watcher, you have to decide whether to activate the opportunity (adding a d6 OR stepping up a die in your Doom Pool; and giving me a PP). You probably want to, to build up the Doom Pool. Then you'd make an opposition roll using that Doom Pool to see if I created the SHIELD Agents Asset.

Additionally, I'm at 2PP (+1 for the negative Scene Distinction) and gain 1xp for issuing orders to allies.

NEXT UP: The Raft Mob
    Last edited by Sojobo; 2013-05-17 at 07:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

The agents hear the rally cry but are simply too overwhelmed trying to adjust to circumstances to be able to effectively help out.

Spoiler
    Show

-Buying the Opportunity from Captain Marvel to add to the Doom Pool (which bumps it to 4d6 now).

-Rolling the Doom Pool to oppose Captain Marvel's Intention:
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[1]

So that's a total of 10, which beats your total of 9, which means no Asset for you! Also... I rolled that 1. I don't need an Effect Die here, correct?

And you can't edit in new die rolls, hmm. Good to know.
    Last edited by BWS2K; 2013-05-17 at 07:28 PM.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

The inmates, seeing Captain Marvel arrive, are at first hesitant to continue the assault - two superheroes are only the beginning of what's to come. The chance to earn some serious cred by taking even one of them down, however, inspires them to surge forward and try to grab the newcomer.

"Oy! And who's that chick? Take'er boys!"
    Spoiler
    Show

So, moving on to the Mob... (sorry for the double post)
    Swarm: (1d8)[4]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[4]

Total: 10, Effect Die: d8
    Do I need to specify a target here, or is it just that you all roll reactions? It's late and I think I'm confusing myself... If I need a target, it's Carol.
    Last edited by BWS2K; 2013-05-17 at 07:33 PM.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

14. - Top - End - #14

Captain Marvel
    The Raft

Captain Marvel doesn't have a chance to react disgustedly at the disorderly, undisciplined SHIELD Agents - emboldened Raft prisoners had begun swarming towards her. Not wanting to resort to lethal force, she tossed the massive boulder over their heads, close enough to intimidate... but while many ran for cover or stopped in their tracks, still more began glomming onto her, punching and kicking or grabbing and biting, until she disappeared under a pile of bodies.

"Hey, get off her!" shouted one of the rank and file Raft guards, who managed to rally several of his compatriots together. "Get them off Captain Marvel!" They began firing their riot guns and gas canisters at the mob...

... which suddenly erupted into an explosion of bodies as Captain Marvel hurled them off of her with a roar of defiance.

"Have it your way, then! TAKE THEM DOWN HARD!"
    Spoiler
    Show

First, spending a PP to create a d6 Combat Resource: Raft Guards.

Reaction to Mob attack - Action Total: 10, Action Effect: d8 Physical Stress
    Buddy d6 (1d6)[6]
    Take Charge Attitude (biting her in the butt) 1d4+1PP(1d4)[3]
    Multipower: Superhuman Strength d8 and Superhuman Durability d8(1d8)[5] and (1d8)[7]
    Combat Expert d8 (1d8)[2]
    Raft Guards Combat Resource d6 (1d6)[6]

Reaction Total: 12, Reaction Effect: d8

Captain Marvel is unharmed. Also, I'm spending a PP to inflict that d8 Effect Die as Physical Stress --> that knocks out one d6 from the Mob's Affiliation Dice.

Carol was at 3PP, spent one to activate an opportunity (Resource), gained one for using a Negative Distinction, spent one to inflict a Reaction Effect die -> she's at 2PP.
    Last edited by Sojobo; 2013-05-17 at 08:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

The dwindling mass of inmates tries all they can to take Carol down. Though some of them must know it's a futile effort, they have been locked up for a while and the chance to touch a super heroine, even if it means getting knocked out, is well worth it. The skies have really opened up now, drenching everyone on the landing deck and making the slugfest a little more interesting.

"Don't let'er getaway gents!"
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[2]
    Swarm (rapidly dispersing...) (1d8)[2]

Well that was horrible.
    Total of 4, with a default d4 Effect die, and an opportunity for whoever wants it.

I rolled a 4 for the Scene Distinction Rain in the OOC, so I'll include that here...

Total of 6 with an Effect of d8. Doom Pool is now 5d6. They've just attacked Captain Marvel but I'll have Nightcrawler go next.
    Last edited by BWS2K; 2013-05-18 at 06:30 PM.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

16. - Top - End - #16

Captain Marvel
    The Raft

The Raft guards provide some cover, keeping the more intelligent and self-preserving inmates back, but the falling rain made it hard to keep beads on all of them, so a few manage to get within spitting range of Captain Marvel and throw wild punches her way.

Since these Raft inmates seemed to have escaped from the lower security, nonpowered prisoner population, Captain Marvel simply lets their punches land.

The crunches of their knuckles and wrists breaking on impact, and their howls of pain, were quite satisfying.

Spoiler
    Show

I pass on the Watcher opportunity.

Reaction to Mob Attack - Action Total: 6, Action Effect: d8

Buddy d6(1d6)[4]
    Rain Scene Distinction 1d4+1PP(1d4)[2] (it IS getting slick)
    Superhuman Durability d10 (1d10)[10]
    Combat Expert d8 (1d8)[1]
    Raft Guards d6 (1d6)[5]

Opportunities: 1
    Reaction Total: 9 Reaction Effect: d10

Spending a PP once again to inflict my Reaction Effect as d10 Physical Stress --> Knocking out one more d6 from the Mob Affiliation dice

C. Marvel is at 2PP, 3 if that opportunity is bought. Since you have a decent number of d6 in the Doom Pool now, I suggest you begin upgrading your d6 to d8's. You need a variety of different dice in the Doom Pool, and a general good priority is to upgrade dice as quickly as possible to scare the crap out of us.

Nightcrawler is up now, yes? Take the Mob out!
    Last edited by Sojobo; 2013-05-18 at 07:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Nightcrawler
    The Raft

Kurt watches as the prisoners swarm around Carol, smirking as a number of them are simply thrown aside. They simply had no chance against Kapitän Marvel. Still, he had no interest in letting these irredeemable criminals put their filthy hands on her, and so with a BAMF! he dropped into the melee to assist her, "Do not vorry, mein schatz! I vill throw out zee trash!"

Flipping through the crowd, arms, legs, and a prehensile tail went everywhich way, attempting to mop up the rest of this unruly mob of escapees.

Spoiler
    Show
    Affiliation (Buddy - Carol and Wagner, sitting in a tree!): (1d10)[7]
    Distinction (Dashing Swashbuckler - Though there are no swashes to be buckled, Kurt is doing his best to be dashing for the Kapitän): (1d8)[2]
    Power Set/Power Trait (BAMF!/Superhuman Reflexes - Quick to the point, to the point, no faking. Cooking 'scapee's like a pound of bacon!): (1d10)[9]
    Specialty (Combat Expert - Kurt's a beast in a burly brawl!) (1d8)[7]

Opportunities: 0
    Total: 16
    Effect Die: d10

After the bad guys reaction roll, they can go. If they're still around, that is.
    Last edited by AvianMalkavian; 2013-05-18 at 07:24 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Whether it's the rain, the fresh air, or the two superheroes tossing them about like rag dolls, the mob finally dissipates and either runs back inside or fall unconscious beneath the onslaught of Captain Marvel and Nightcrawler!

The S.H.I.E.L.D. agents in the area have begun to assemble around the heroes, looking for direction and licking their wounds while already setting up triage and portable comm stations. Surely, the excitement has only begun...
    Spoiler
    Show

Reaction to Nightcrawler's Attack (Total: 16, Effect: d10)

-Stepping up two Doom Dice - one from Carol's reaction and one from Rain, Doom Pool now at 3d6/2d8.
    Scene Distinction: Rain (1d4)[3]
    Last Mob Die!! (1d6)[5]
    Swarm Trait (1d8)[3]
    Mob Distinction Desperate (I can have more than one Distinction, right?) (1d8)[4]

Total: 9
    Effect Dice (2): d8, d4

Hoping this is done correctly. I won't get to post a second time tonight, so we'll pick up again sometime tomorrow night or Monday... whenever I get my 'Net in the vacation spot. Cheers!
    Last edited by BWS2K; 2013-05-18 at 08:12 PM.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Shocker
    The Raft

As Herman looks out his peugeot’s front windscreen and views a mob of petty thugs getting their asses handed to them by two heroes, and he thinks to himself, ‘Not today. Today, I’m not going to jail.’ He watches as the female superhero breaks a thugs’ arm in several different places, at a second glance he believes recognises the woman to be Captain Marvel. Briefly before putting on his gauntlets he tries to cross reference the name “Captain Marvel” on his hacked 1994 S.H.I.E.L.D database and comes up short. Stepping out from his old banger he looks to see if he can find himself a good vantage point in order to find his old pal Maxwell.
    Last edited by Grim_Greg; 2013-05-21 at 01:54 PM.