Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default OOC: Marvel Heroic (Breakout)

Welcome the the Out-Of-Character thread! Please have your first post include who you are playing, and keep it up-to-date with all your totals.

Current Doom Pool: 3d6/2d8
    Current Scene Distinction(s): Debris, Dozens of Little Fires, Outpouring of Inmates, Rain, S.H.I.E.L.D Agents, Reinforced Entry Bay Doors
    Current Turn Order: Nightcrawler, Captain Marvel, Mob

***Don't forget that I won't have 'net access for most of next week, starting early Sunday***
    Last edited by BWS2K; 2013-05-18 at 08:08 PM.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    [MHRPG] Breakout: IC OOC
    [Toypocalypse] Some Assembly Required IC OOC
    MHRPG Cyclops

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOC: Marvel Heroic (Breakout)

Captain Marvel
    Carol Danvers

PP: 2
    Stress/Trauma:
    • Physical: -
    • Mental: -
    • Emotional: -

Complications: -
    Assets: -
    Resources: Raft Guards d6
    XP: 1

Datafile
    Spoiler
    Show

Affiliations: Solo d8, Buddy d6, Team d10

Distinctions: Homeland Security Hero, Struggling Identity, Take-Charge Attitude

Power Sets:
    Kree Genetics: Energy Blast d8, Subsonic Flight d8, Superhuman Strength d10, Superhuman Durability d10, Superhuman Stamina d10

SFX: Energy Absorption.

SFX: Multipower.

SFX: Second Wind.

Limit: Overload.

Specialties: Combat Expert d8, Cosmic Expert d8, Covert Expert d8, Psych Expert d8, Vehicles Expert d8

Milestones: (from Civil War)
    Chain Of Command
    - 1 XP when you give an order to an ally in the heat of battle.
    - 3 XP when you cause stress utilizing an asset created by one of your allies.
    - 10 XP when you take the leadership role of an established team or create a new team to lead into battle.
    Kree Fueled Powerhouse
    - 1 XP when you fly directly into the most obviously powerful enemy on the field.
    - 3 XP when you use brute force to create an asset for an ally.
    - 10 XP when you either defeat an enemy by using Superhuman Strength to inflict trauma or when you defeat an enemy by absorbing their energy with the Energy Absorption SFX.

Last edited by Sojobo; 2013-05-17 at 08:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hallo! I vill be playing zee role of Kurt Vagner, zee incredible...

Affiliations
    Spoiler
    Show
    Solo: d6
    Buddy: d10
    Team: d8

Distinctions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dashing Swashbuckler
    Demonic Appearance
    Devout Catholic

Power Sets

BAMF!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Enhanced Senses d8
    Invisibility d6
    Leaping d8
    Superhuman Reflexes d10
    Teleport d8
    Wallcrawling d6

SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
    SFX: Flurry of Teleportation. Against a single target, step up or double Teleport. Remove the highest rolling die and use three dice for your total.
    SFX: Prehensile Tail. Step back the highest die in your attack action pool to add a d6 and keep an extra effect die for a complication.
    Limit: Exhausted. Shutdown any BAMF! power to gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or participate in a Transition Scene to recover that power.
    Limit: Mutant. When affected by mutant-specific complications or tech, earn 1 PP.

Specialties
    Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics Master d10
    Combat Expert d8
    Covert Expert d8
    Medical Expert d8
    Mystic Expert d8
    Tech Expert d8
    Vehicles Expert d8

Milestones
    Spoiler
    Show
    Romantic
    1 XP when you woo an ally or enemy.
    3 XP when you spend a Transition Scene with a romantic entanglement.
    10 XP when you either break off a romantic relationship, or seek to enter into a more permanent partnership and ask your love to marry you.

Swashbuckler
    1 XP when you offer quips during deeds of swashbuckling and derring-do.
    3 XP when you offer more serious philosophical insights.
    10 XP when you save the world with swordplay, or set the sword aside for other ways to resolve conflicts.

Stress/Trauma Tracker
    Physical:
    Mental:
    Emotional:

Misc. Tracker
    Plot Points: 2
    Assets: None
    Resources: None
    Complications: None
    Experience:

"Efry so often, liebchen, since I look like a demon... I haf zis irresistible urge to play zee part!"
    Last edited by AvianMalkavian; 2013-05-17 at 06:31 PM.
    Amazing ponified avatar by Madcrafter!

Original avatar by the awesome Savannah:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

PP: 1
    Stress/Trauma:

• Physical: -
    • Mental: -
    • Emotional: -

Complications: -
    Assets: -
    Resources: -
    XP: -

Datafile:
    Spoiler
    Show

Affiliations: Solo: d10, Buddy: d6, Team: d8

Distictions: Collateral Damage is Guaranteed, In it for the $$$, Self-Taught Inventor

Power Sets:
    Vibro-Shock Equipment: Enhanced Durability d8, Vibro-Shock Blast: d10

SFX: Area Attack: Target multiple opponents. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for every additional target.

SFX: Focused Blast: Step up or double Vibro Shock Blast die against a single target. Remove highest-rolling die and add an additional die to your total.

SFX: Versatile: Replace Vibro-Shock Blast with 2d8 or 3d6 on your next roll.

Limit: Recoil: Turn a Vibro-Shock Equpment power into a complication and gain a PP. If you take any Vibro-Shock Blast actions while suffering from that complication, take a d6 physical stress and gain a PP.

Specialities: Crime Expert: d8, Tech Expert: d8

Milestones:

Old Friends, Old Enemies:
    1XP: When you declare someone an old ally or foe.
    3XP: When you aid your old ally in a buddy situation or deal trauma to your old foe.
    10XP: When you declare your old ally is now an enemy or vice versa.

It's Rooted Inside . . . Like an Abscessed Tooth:
    1XP: When a villain tells you that you have a darkness in your soul, and you deny it.
    3XP: When a villain causes you physical stress, and you convert it to emotional stress, because you are starting to believe that you do have a darkness in your soul.
    10XP: When you defeat a powerful villain that has just offered you great power in order to join him, or when you abandon your heroic allies in order to join the forces of evil, and you embrace the darkness in your soul.

Last edited by Grim_Greg; 2013-05-17 at 06:56 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

((I think the bottom two, but again would like your input))
    I agree. They'll be the easiest to use in this scenario anyway.

Not that it's a huge deal for us since Nightcrawler is available free online and Shocker is something of a homebrew, but I just want to mention that we need to be careful about copying things word-for-word from the books (copyright stuff). It's something I used to do all the time and, with references, sometimes it's appropriate but not always.

Nightcrawler posted last night. I have to have some bloodwork done shortly and there are a few chores that need to be done around the house - I'll be posting IC this afternoon/tonight though, whether Shocker and Ms. Marvel have or not, just to keep things moving. It's easy enough to write you in as you arrive, I just hate waiting and I know what it's like to post and then have nothing for a day or more.

Out of curiosity - what made you all choose the characters you did?
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by BWS2K View Post
    Out of curiosity - what made you all choose the characters you did?
    Nightcrawler is awesome. 'Nough said.

As for possible Milestones for the Shocker, here's some ideas:

Spoiler
    Show
    Going to Make Up For That . . .

1 XP when you express regret for a major decisions that you were part of making, either to yourself or to those that made the decision with you.

3 XP when you take stress or trauma in the course of attempting to right a situation that you feel you need to rectify.

10 XP when you either find a way to make amends for the difficult and distasteful decision you made in the past, or you realize, when you are in the same situation yet again, that you have to make the same decision instead of making amends.

It's Rooted Inside . . . Like an Abscessed Tooth

1 XP when a villain tells you that you have a darkness in your soul, and you deny it.

3 XP when a villain causes you physical stress, and you convert it to emotional stress, because you are starting to believe that you do have a darkness in your soul.

10 XP when you defeat a powerful villain that has just offered you great power in order to join him, or when you abandon your heroic allies in order to join the forces of evil, and you embrace the darkness in your soul.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Re: copyright: True that. I played MHR online on a private forum, where we could post stuff wholesale like that because a) we asked Cam if we could and b) it was private, but here neither is true, so old habits. I'll edit what I have so its more a reminder than a verbatim copy.

Will post in a bit.

I picked Captain Marvel because I haven't played her yet, and she always seemed cool.

Also, I'd suggest Shocker's Distinctions be changed for personalization reasons and to make it clearer he's gone on a heroic stint.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Sojobo said:
    Also, I'd suggest Shocker's Distinctions be changed for personalization reasons and to make it clearer he's gone on a heroic stint.
    Grim_Greg said:
    Distictions: Collateral Damage is Guaranteed, In it for the $$$, Self-Taught Inventor
    I'd be happy with something like "Unpredictable" or "Checkered Past" or some such thing to represent/accompany the Milestones from I'm a Professional, Not a Villain and Old Friends, Old Enemies to replace In It For the $$$. I don't mind Collateral Damage is Guaranteed since distinctions are supposed to be a double-edged sword and Self-Taught Inventor is fine. It'll be interesting to see how this goes, considering you've said that Shocker has turned to a life of good - meaning he probably knows a couple of the guys he's about to meet (The Bad Guys).

So a little bit about me: I first got interested in comics back when my brother and I caught the last few minutes of X-Men on Saturday morning (it was the one where Blob gets frozen in a pool). We sort of went on a X-Men kick for a while, the biggest feature of which was a fantastic game called X-Men Alert (which sells for a pretty penny on Amazon). We didn't really have that many comics at all, though my grandparents bought us each one for some holiday (Mine was one with Cable visiting Cyclops in the mansion and taking on the X-Cutioner, my brother's was one where Cyclops and Jean had been captured by Sinister after being married). I had a poster of Cyclops as well, with some snippets of comics in the background. Not a lot of comics at all really. In college I bought the first six or eight volumes of Ultimate X-Men which I enjoyed, and my friend lent me a CD archive of the first sixty or seventy of them just a few months ago.

The big score was when another friend of mine asked me if I wanted to try selling some of his comics on Amazon - it was two boxes of mostly Marvel from the late eighties and early nineties. It was really cool to finally see the comics that were represented by some of the snippets in my poster from twenty years ago. There was the first dozen or so issues of Namor, a smattering of X-Men, a couple Punisher, some Spidey, some of a guy called Sleepwalker, the first dozen or so of a guy who found an amulet in an amusement park and traded places with an alien... his mom was a lawyer... can't remember his name. I also used to own the first five volumes of Essential Spiderman and the first two volumes (and the first ten in a volume) or X-Men. Most of my knowledge of lore, then, is at least ten to fifteen years old.

Most importantly, I've always enjoyed games. I actually used to make them and, in retrospect, I was inventing RPGs. I didn't start playing tabletop/pbp RPGs until just three years ago but I totally would have flipped out if I had played them back in high school or college because they're so what I was into. All in all, I'm a latecomer to both comics and RPGs but I know enough to get by in both.

I'll have a post up sometime after supper (it's 5:40 right now). I hate to leave Nightcrawler teleport instantly and then wait around with nothing to do.

Edit: Darkhawk! That's his name!
    Last edited by BWS2K; 2013-05-16 at 04:44 PM.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

9. - Top - End - #9

Ugh, forum ate my post. Bear with me...

10. - Top - End - #10

Oooh yes Avian! Really like 'Going to Make Up For That...' And Yep Sojobo! Although I agree to an extent that we should change Shocker's Distinctions, I think at the end of the day despite making him go on this heroic stint.. I still want to RP him as Shocker And, with that being said. With Shocker there is always collateral damage, he is a self-taught inventor, and at the end of the day despite putting on this goodie-two-shoes facade... He's probably going to try get some money out of you at some point. The dude is broke after all!

And, BWS2K why I wanted to play Shocker? Hmmn.. I think when I read Max Landis' interpretation of Shocker I kinda fell in love with it. Then you gave me the opportunity to play it out, so I took it!

Also likely not going to be able to post tonight, unfortunately my girlfriend has decided to leave a 2,500 word essay in for tomorrow till last minute. So will be likely doing that tonight
    Last edited by Grim_Greg; 2013-05-16 at 04:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Random idea of the day, take it or leave it: Shocker was a model prisoner on the Raft and is being released today.

Random idea of the day while typing above random idea of the day: Shocker WAS a model prisoner and released a while ago, and as a side job works as a "scared straight" chaperone for superpowered delinquents - they are having a field trip to the Raft right now.

12. - Top - End - #12

Sojobo I love your random idea of the day, and again I apologise for not being able to join you guys tonight!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Random idea of the day, take it or leave it: Shocker was a model prisoner on the Raft and is being released today.
    I had a similar thought yesterday, so perhaps not so random...? I think what I'm going to do is have him there already with his gear (being released probably wouldn't mean he gets that back) and, despite the opportunity to leave, maybe he can decide to stay once the realization hits them that there are way worse Bad Guys about to get loose - and, since money's a motivator (and that works for guys like Luke Cage and even Spidey in some respects) and it'll mean a whole lot of competition out there (why hire Shocker when you could hire a guy like... somebody else that you'll meet in a bit...?). It'll all work out and, most importantly, this isn't a really long campaign so we can goof around a little with cannon.

Edit: Canon, not cannon. I mean, if you find one and you want to, sure, but you probably won't...
    Last edited by BWS2K; 2013-05-16 at 05:06 PM.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Oh! I know everyone is all about claiming colors for their characters, which is fine, but the board that I'm most used to has multiple themes so we all just used bold for speech, italics for interior monolgue/thoughts, and regular text for narration. You're welcome to choose a color, but NPC's will just be using black.

I'm working on a post right now, and if Nightcrawler manages to sling a few punches before the rest of you get there that's fine. Here we go...!
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

15. - Top - End - #15

Ok, guys chosen my milestones

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

-Nightcrawler rolls a total of 15 (9+6) with an effect die of d10!

Oh, just we have consistency - if you take a turn, please say who is going next at the end of your turn. If you don't, let's just assume all the players will go first - that way we don't have to wait up for each other as much. I'll wait for Captain Marvel to have a chance to post before the inmates, since Nightcrawler went ahead and used the Buddy affiliation and asked her for help. Shocker - you're welcome to join the fray in your next post, assuming you get picked by Captain Marvel to go. Nice posts everyone!
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

17. - Top - End - #17

I hate to be nitpicky, but Shocker wouldn't see anything on the news about the Raft because, while this is going on, all power in NYC goes down. I don't mean to be nitpicky or anything, but its right there in the first post. Luckily, its still fairly easy to spot, since a giant bolt of lightning shoots out of the place like in the picture.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Lol, yeah - go ahead and try to re-write that a bit Shocker, there's no power in the city so it's unlikely that you'd be chillin' in your apartment with a buddy. You could, however, I suppose, hear about it on a battery-powered radio or in the car. Journalists are not always "on the grid" either. I'll post again tonight for the inmates around supper time, and then probably be done for today. We're setting up a tent in my living room tonight so the kids can camp out, which is about three feet from my keyboard... lol.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

19. - Top - End - #19

One thing that can get rather intense for the Watcher is that you have to resolve every action as they come before anyone else can act in a back and forth - primarily because of the possibility of opportunities rolled (which Nightcrawler did) and the Doom Pool growing/players getting PP, and also because Watcher reaction rolls provide the players with opportunities of our own.

So Captain Marvel can't go until Nightcrawler's action is resolved, aka the inmates have to react.

Also, not sure how many inmates there are (Nightcrawler seems to have assumed at least 5 with his Area SFX), or if they are even Watcher characters - I thought the Inmates were a Scene Distinction (which can still be targetable at a d8, you'd roll the Doom Pool + the Scene Distinction d8 as a reaction), but I could be wrong.

Finally, its not tactically a good idea to let all the players go, then all the villains - because whoever goes last gets to pick who goes first the second time around, so that means the possibility of the villains going twice before we get to go. For the sake of PBP, it'd probably be a good idea to give us the option to say "whoever can post next can go next" - whether that be Watcher or another player. We just have to say "I"ll go" quickly in the OOC so we don't ninja each other.
    Last edited by Sojobo; 2013-05-17 at 03:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sojobo View Post
    One thing that can get rather intense for the Watcher is that you have to resolve every action as they come before anyone else can act in a back and forth - primarily because of the possibility of opportunities rolled (which Nightcrawler did) and the Doom Pool growing/players getting PP, and also because Watcher reaction rolls provide the players with opportunities of our own.

So Captain Marvel can't go until Nightcrawler's action is resolved, aka the inmates have to react.

Also, not sure how many inmates there are (Nightcrawler seems to have assumed at least 5 with his Area SFX), or if they are even Watcher characters - I thought the Inmates were a Scene Distinction (which can still be targetable at a d8, you'd roll the Doom Pool + the Scene Distinction d8 as a reaction), but I could be wrong.

Finally, its not tactically a good idea to let all the players go, then all the villains - because whoever goes last gets to pick who goes first the second time around, so that means the possibility of the villains going twice before we get to go. For the sake of PBP, it'd probably be a good idea to give us the option to say "whoever can post next can go next" - whether that be Watcher or another player. We just have to say "I"ll go" quickly in the OOC so we don't ninja each other.
    I think I understand everything you just said, and I tried to keep it all in mind when posting IC. Let me know if I goofed, but the totals at the top of this thread have been adjusted to current. Nightcrawler gets a PP, I bought the opportunity from him to add to the Doom Pool, I rolled a reaction for the Mob, and now he picks who goes first - or, as you suggest, whoever posts next goes. I understand what you mean about the villains going twice in a row over the course of two turns but I'm not that kind of GM and I wouldn't do that to ya'll. I'm following another game of this on the forum and trying my best to learn how it flows in a pbp format, though spectating has it's limits. I think, also, that it will likely be my last post tonight, as I'll be camping in my living room.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

21. - Top - End - #21

If you're going with a Mob, then Nightcrawler's Area SFX is valid and each of his extra Effect dice would also be applied to the Mob, essentially allowing Nightcrawler to take out the entire gang (his additional d10 and 3d6 Effect dice are each greater than or equal to the Mob's d6's). Which is narratively in keeping with what Nightcrawler can do - he's a mook sweeping bada$$. :-)

Remember that Watcher characters can also use Scene Distinctions (for d8 or d4 + d6 Doom Die).

One interpretation of what happened is that the Mob of Inmates (Watcher "character) were the ones that managed to get clear of the building and were working together to press back the wardens, while the Outpouring of Inmates Scene Distinction represents the still continuing press of escapees that haven't yet been able to organize themselves. Nightcrawler took out the mob in the yard, but there's still the issue of escaping prisoners.

As for action order tactics and having villains tagging each other back to back, you definitely SHOULD do things like that if we (the players) make such an error. The Watcher's capabilities are more limited in other games, so its important you play to your fullest capability as well - if you don't, the game can actually get rather boring since player capabilities are pretty high.
    Last edited by Sojobo; 2013-05-17 at 04:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sojobo View Post
    If you're going with a Mob, then Nightcrawler's Area SFX is valid and each of his extra Effect dice would also be applied to the Mob, essentially allowing Nightcrawler to take out the entire gang (his additional d10 and 3d6 Effect dice are each greater than or equal to the Mob's d6's). Which is narratively in keeping with what Nightcrawler can do - he's a mook sweeping bada$$. :-)

Remember that Watcher characters can also use Scene Distinctions (for d8 or d4 + d6 Doom Die).

One interpretation of what happened is that the Mob of Inmates (Watcher "character) were the ones that managed to get clear of the building and were working together to press back the wardens, while the Outpouring of Inmates Scene Distinction represents the still continuing press of escapees that haven't yet been able to organize themselves. Nightcrawler took out the mob in the yard, but there's still the issue of escaping prisoners.

As for action order tactics and having villains tagging each other back to back, you definitely SHOULD do things like that if we (the players) make such an error. The Watcher's capabilities are more limited in other games, so its important you play to your fullest capability as well - if you don't, the game can actually get rather boring since player capabilities are pretty high.
    Oh wow. So it's each of my d6 rolls (6,6,4,2,2) against each of his effect dice (d10, d10, d6, d6, d6)? He just wiped out my minions? Tsk tsk.

And yeah, I think that's how I understood it - he whooped the first wave but there's still a general outpouring of inmates coming from the opening. If that makes sense (the rolling I just mentioned) then I'll edit my IC post.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

23. - Top - End - #23

Not exactly your rolls, but the d6's in the Mob. So the 5d6 Mob can be targeted 5 times, and the effect dice are d10, d10, d6, d6, d6. The result of a particular die roll only matters if you pick it to be part of your Total (or if it ended up a 1, for opportunities, but thats another thing) - otherwise the only thing that matters is the die step.

And yeah, Area SFX is powerful against Mobs or multiple attackers precisely for that reason - the downside is that all those extra dice rolled usually ends up in more 1's and bigger Doom Pool (represents collateral damage, general carnage).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

I'm trying really hard to understand that... I even have some Mona Lisa Overdrive playing in the background... but it's still not clicking. I have to eat dinner.

So who won then?
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

25. - Top - End - #25

For the mob, you roll the Affiliation dice. If you're using the one I'm thinking of, that's 5 d6's, as well as a relevant Distinction, Power, and Specialty (if any). You pick the dice for your Total and your Effect Die and it applies to all of them. You don't need seperate Effect Dice for each die in the mob. If I succeed on my attack, I remove a mob die for each of my effect dice that is of a higher die type. In this case, if you failed on your reaction then two dice in the mob would be removed.

Also, yes, I will pick Captain Marvel to go next.
    Last edited by AvianMalkavian; 2013-05-17 at 05:30 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Nightcrawler's Action Roll
    Spoiler
    Show
    Affiliation (Buddy - Kapitšn Marvel is here to help!): (1d10)[6]
    Distinction (Dashing Swashbuckler - I'm in like Flynn! ): (1d8)[6]
    Power Set/Power Trait (BAMF!/Superhuman Reflexes - Defeating a mob of villains requires speed and agility): (1d10)[9]
    Specialties (Acrobatics Master - I learned a great deal in Max Getmann's Circus): (1d10)[4]
    SFX (Area Attack): (4d6)[1][3][5][5](14)

Total: 15
    Effect Dice: d10, d10, d6, d6, d6

Watcher Reaction Roll
    Spoiler
    Show

Alright, I'm using the Mob on BR14 as my example (I guess it's both a Distinction and Watcher NPC?). I roll 5d6 plus the 1d8 for Swarm and get this:
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d8)[7]
    The best I can do with that is a total of 12 with an effect of d8, which Nightcrawler beats by 3. This reduces the Mob to 4d6. I also bought the opportunity from Nightcrawler, so he gets a PP and I add 1d6 to the Doom Pool (which is now at 3d6). This resolves Nightcrawler's action, there's still Captain Marvel, Shocker, and the Mob to go - and I'm assuming Nightcrawler would pick Captain Marvel to go next but I suppose it's up to him.

Does that all seem about right?

So Nightcrawler rolled all those normal dice (Affiliation, Distinction, Power Trait, Specialty), and because of his Area Attack SFX he got to roll 4 more d6's, but still only had a total, from among all those, of two dice totaling 15 (presumably the 9 from BAMF! and the 6 from Dashing Swashbuckler) with an effect die of d10 (presumably from Buddy). Under normal circumstances, that would be it. The SFX, however, allows him to keep four additional Effect Die from what he rolled - which is the remaining d10 from Acrobatics Master and three of the Area Attack d6's...

...for a total of 15, with Effect Dice of d10, d10, d6, d6, and d6.

Okay. Does that make sense now? Have I got it so far?

And that beats the Mob because they rolled, at best, a total of 12 (which means I lose), and in the case of ties the attacker always wins - so all his Effect Die against all mine (individually matched up) beat me at each turn... which means I lose each of my d6's baddies all in one go. Ordinarily, had he not used the Area Effect SFX, I would have only lost one of the baddies because he would have only had one Effect Die - which would have meant I just lost a single d6 instead of, well, all of them.

Is that how it works?

I know it seems tedious, but your patience is well worth it - I'll catch on quickly once I catch on at all.
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

27. - Top - End - #27

No, you only lose Affiliation Dice in a Mob when the attacker's effect die is larger than that of the Mob. So, in this case, only two of the mob's dice are removed because the rest of my effect dice were d6's.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvianMalkavian View Post
    No, you only lose Affiliation Dice in a Mob when the attacker's effect die is larger than that of the Mob. So, in this case, only two of the mob's dice are removed because the rest of my effect dice were d6's.
    Ah, okay. But does the attacker normally win in the case of a tie? The Watcher Cheat Sheet says "you win ties" but some of that sheet is addressed to Players, some to Watchers, and some to the reader... lol

I'll get an edit in before we start out "campout". Thanks a bunch!
    Marcus Okin, End of Days
    MHRPG Cyclops

29. - Top - End - #29

Avian is correct - Affiliation Dice get knocked out if the Effect die is GREATER than, not greater than or equal to. So the 2 d10's knock down the Mob from 5d6 to 3d6.

As for ties, I believe the attacker (the action pool, vis a vis the reaction pool of the defender) wins, but I need to check. Its been a while since I've played MHR.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by BWS2K View Post
    Ah, okay. But does the attacker normally win in the case of a tie? The Watcher Cheat Sheet says "you win ties" but some of that sheet is addressed to Players, some to Watchers, and some to the reader... lol

I'll get an edit in before we start out "campout". Thanks a bunch!
    For ties, that applies to the total, not the effect die. The attacker doesn't inflict stress unless they hit, and the attacker only hits if their action's total is equal to or higher than the reaction's total.

Spoiler
    Show