A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Old Ways OOC III

The party was wonderful. Now back to work (and regularly scheduled play!)
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

tongue Re: Old Ways OOC III

I looked through the rules about learning spells, but I couldn't find anything about how long the inscribing into the spellbook actually takes. Can I assume the trade between Neela and Duran was done in the one evening or does it take longer?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, I don't have any pressing business for Ash at the moment.

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by Battlemage View Post
    I looked through the rules about learning spells, but I couldn't find anything about how long the inscribing into the spellbook actually takes. Can I assume the trade between Neela and Duran was done in the one evening or does it take longer?
    I believe the standard time is 1 week/spell level. I'll (generously) rule that you can do it while traveling, if someone else leads your horse while you're on it. And it'll take all your attention while riding and on breaks (when you'll do the necessary scribing). You and Neela will basically be unaware of your surroundings while traveling but can learn each others spells in two weeks.
    Forum Rules

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

If it's Ash's turn for watch, here's an alertness roll.
    DC13: (1d20)[11]

6. - Top - End - #126

Reading through the book I, once again, couldn't find anything about it, but does this edition allow memorizing lower level spells in higher slots? For travelling another Sleep or Magic Missile seems more useful at the moment than Invisibility.

Also I love how Disintegrate (my thematically absolute favorite spell in D&D) is just a complete Save-or-Die here, no ifs or buts.

7. - Top - End - #127

RangerGuy

To my knowledge, no, you can't swap out spells that way in the older editions. It was a "feature" of 3.5 and such. Up to Roland to make a call on allowing it though.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

8. - Top - End - #128

RangerGuy

Hmm. Quiet as a mouse but not as hidden as he thinks he is, or wants to be. Hopefully the poor pre-dawn light mitigates that a bit.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

9. - Top - End - #129

Reading through the book I, once again, couldn't find anything about it, but does this edition allow memorizing lower level spells in higher slots? For travelling another Sleep or Magic Missile seems more useful at the moment than Invisibility.
    That is not a feature of this edition.
    Also I love how Disintegrate (my thematically absolute favorite spell in D&D) is just a complete Save-or-Die here, no ifs or buts.
    Hard core.
    Forum Rules

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

If I may ask, Roland: orcs or ogres?

11. - Top - End - #131

Orcres!

12. - Top - End - #132

Orcs. I'll fix the IC.
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #133

Can you shoot into melee? I was doing Dural's action on the assumption that you couldn't in this edition (which is what googling the matter got me as result).
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-07-19 at 11:44 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134

RangerGuy

By the book it's risky. I'm taking the chance given 3 orcs and just two party members. I've done it in the past without Roland calling me on it, so maybe he just lets it go if it's reasonable? I haven't rolled a 1 while trying yet - as a DM that's the only time I'd make an issue of it in my campaign.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

15. - Top - End - #135

Can you shoot into melee? I was doing Dural's action on the assumption that you couldn't in this edition (which is what googling the matter got me as result).
    You can, but as Koren notes, it's risky. Before I get into that, the default for this edition is that you can try to do pretty much anything. If it isn't covered by some specific rule, the DM decides on a probability and resolves the action.

On shooting into melee, RC has two possible mechanics for resolving this: 1) cover and 2) partial targets. I use the cover rules (page 108) as the default. Depending on the circumstances, your ally provides some cover for the for. I take your roll, assess the penalty, and one of three things happens: 1) you roll well enough to hit even with the penalty - a hit; 2) you roll so poorly, you would have missed even without the penalty - a miss; 3) you roll in the range effected by the cover - you hit the cover. Basically, depending on your angle, relative sizes, etc., your ally becomes a -1 to -6 (5% to 30%) chance possibility of being struck. The partial targets rule might apply if an ally is running through the field of fire or the target is running through the gauntlet of allies, or something similar. That rule is also on page 108 of the RC.

Oh, but one thing you can try but will almost never work, per the rules on p. 108, is do a missile attack at a target within 5' of you. Unless the target is paralyzed or the like, they can easily avoid or misdirect your fire. The rule says such attacks will "not normally work," so they might in certain circumstances, though.

I feel like this was mentioned sometime previously, but search is down, so I can't dig it out. Maybe I'll just link to this post in the OP for future reference.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-07-19 at 01:12 PM.
    Forum Rules

16. - Top - End - #136

RangerGuy

Thanks for clarifying just how you do it, Roland. I try to picture the scene from Mycah's POV and decide if he'd risk the shot or not. Sounds like that's what you're doing too to decide the penalty.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

17. - Top - End - #137

Thanks for the info, good to know for the future.

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by Koren n'Rhys View Post
    Thanks for clarifying just how you do it, Roland. I try to picture the scene from Mycah's POV and decide if he'd risk the shot or not. Sounds like that's what you're doing too to decide the penalty.
    Exactly. There's definitely a judgment call on how much cover the foe is getting from the ally/allies. So far it's been pretty low because archers have moved to a good angle or fired at one of several meleers (where it's easy to justify that one picked the clearest one to aim for), so I don't think we've had any friendly fire damage yet.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-07-19 at 03:20 PM.
    Forum Rules

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, I noticed that Ash's attack roll would have hit AC 4 and that Brandon's successfully hit AC 5. I was wondering if maybe the orc Ash had attacked may have had better armor or something?

I just remembered that I was charging too. In 3.5, that adds to a +2 attack bonus, but in this it may perhaps give a penalty.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-07-19 at 06:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    Hey, I noticed that Ash's attack roll would have hit AC 4 and that Brandon's successfully hit AC 5. I was wondering if maybe the orc Ash had attacked may have had better armor or something?

I just remembered that I was charging too. In 3.5, that adds to a +2 attack bonus, but in this it may perhaps give a penalty.
    I just saw the roll was 9 and knew that was a miss. How did your THAC0 get to 13? I assume you're just subtracting bonuses from that side of the equation instead of adding them to your attack roll? If so, that's fine, and your attack there should have hit; it just wasn't what I expected, so I made a quick assumption about the 9. Just remind me how you got to 13 and I'll remember to look for it next time.

In this edition, charging is a special attack of some monsters and a thing fighters, dwarves, and elves can do from horseback with a lance. Either has the potential to do double damage, but may be painfully preempted by a set spear vs. charge move. It is also a purely descriptive thing that might net one a minor situational bonus (or effect enemy morale), but for unmounted meleers, it's not standard combat maneuver with fixed effects.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-07-20 at 01:47 PM.
    Forum Rules

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Probably best to write THAC0 as unmodified and modified [e.g. THAC0 17(13)]; that way it is clear that there are bonuses in play not being applied to the die roll. As with D20 versions of the game modified THAC0 (or AB) is likely to change depending on the weapon wielded. I do the same for armour class (the actual class is modified by shield, dexterity, et cetera) and hit points (total and current).
    Last edited by Matthew; 2013-07-20 at 10:01 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    I just saw the roll was 9 and knew that was a miss. How did your THAC0 get to 13? I assume you're just subtracting bonuses from that side of the equation instead of adding them to your attack roll? If so, that's fine, and your attack there should have hit; it just wasn't what I expected, so I made a quick assumption about the 9. Just remind me how you got to 13 and I'll remember to look for it next time.

In this edition, charging is a special attack of some monsters and a thing fighters, dwarves, and elves can do from horseback with a lance. Either has the potential to do double damage, but may be painfully preempted by a set spear vs. charge move. It is also a purely descriptive thing that might net one a minor situational bonus (or effect enemy morale), but for unmounted meleers, it's not standard combat maneuver with fixed effects.

Oh, gotchya. ^_^

Okay, the way I got 13 Thac0 was:
    my base thac0 as a fighter is now 17 cause I'm 4th level.
    I've trained in sword two levels. Brings it down to 15.
    Then it's a magical sword of +2 [w/ +3 vs. regenerating creatures]

Sound about right?
    Would have only done 1 damage anyways. :P

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post

Oh, gotchya. ^_^

Okay, the way I got 13 Thac0 was:
    my base thac0 as a fighter is now 17 cause I'm 4th level.
    I've trained in sword two levels. Brings it down to 15.
    Then it's a magical sword of +2 [w/ +3 vs. regenerating creatures]

Sound about right?
    Would have only done 1 damage anyways. :P
    Sounds exactly right.
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

:D

So, I should start posting my attacks more like this maybe:

Thac0: 17
    Attack: 1d20+4

?

25. - Top - End - #145

Oh right, weapon training gives to-hit bonuses. I totally forgot that so far.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Man, the "level of skill" stuff always seemed whacked to me. If Nathros trains in the pole-axe he gets +2 extra to hit and a further +3 to damage, a −1 bonus to AC, plus the ability to deflect incoming attacks. Is that right?
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Cause he's a Dwarf?

That's pretty kick-butt.

28. - Top - End - #148

RangerGuy

Nope, that's just the next level of mastery as you move up the ranks of Weapons Mastery from the RC. Crazy stuff sometimes.

Lot's more cool stuff to do than just get some plusses like you do with specialization in AD&D.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

:O What? Seriously? Holey swiss cheese, batman!

Cause it's a poleaxe? Are those better than swords and bows or anything like that? Or have I missed something else?

30. - Top - End - #150

RangerGuy

There's a big 2-page table with every weapon listed. With WM, when you level up and get a new weapon slot, you can either train in a new weapon at the Basic level of proficiency, or increase your skill with an existing one. It runs from Basic -> Skilled -> Expert -> Master -> Grand Master with increasing benefits as you go. At each level it's harder to find a teacher, more expensive to train, and harder to successfully do so. IMO, it's a cool system but can get out of control if you go too far with it.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll: