A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Old Ways OOC III

Gwendol: Sorry, but you can't until the Silence wears off.

That's the whole point of putting Silence on a magic-user.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Colossus in the Playground

Gwendol asked if Neela can use the Wand of Paralysis.

i.e., "Is Athos' next action going to be to bring or throw the wand to Neela."
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, Neela can use the wand of paralysis - any arcane caster can.

I don't know why, but I thought Neela could cast more than one sleep spell (that was the plan, if she can cast 2 first level spells, anyways).

4. - Top - End - #394

My arrows clearly don't like no longer being aimed at the priest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Obviously, your characters don't know, but just so that you don't have to ask every round:

Ash:
    Hold Person lasts 9 turns (90 minutes)
    Bestow Curse is permanent

Athos:
    Silence 15' lasts 12 turns (120 minutes)

Aditi:
    Cause Disease is permanent (until fatal over a matter of days to weeks)
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Aditi:
    Cause Disease is permanent (until fatal over a matter of days to weeks)
    Ah, that was the saving throw I failed.

Does she know anything more than that she felt momentarily ill, or nothing at all yet?
    Last edited by Kish; 2013-10-16 at 05:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

7. - Top - End - #397

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Ah, that was the saving throw I failed.

Does she know anything more than that she felt momentarily ill, or nothing at all yet?
    After the adrenaline of battle wears off, she will feel unusually weary and know that something is wrong. At this point, it's at a level that could be hidden from others and does not limit her at all.

The book describes the default disease as a wasting disease, so she'll grow thinner, tireder, paler, and perhaps weaker (though not necessarily mechanically) over the next few days. We'll work out the details after the battle.
    Forum Rules

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Yowzaz. That's no fun.
    I hope priestesses have Cure Disease that they can pray for.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

We have had a negative organizational change at work, sorry for being absent but I've had a ton of things to deal with. Should be getting back into normal soon enough.

10. - Top - End - #400

Two quick notes:
    1. I didn't forget to call for saves vs. Poison that last round, some of the snakes are non-poisonous.
    2. I'll be traveling this weekend, so expect one post from me but probably not more. (Which iirc is our official policy anyway, to treat the weekend as one day).
    Forum Rules

11. - Top - End - #401
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwendol View Post
    We have had a negative organizational change at work, sorry for being absent but I've had a ton of things to deal with. Should be getting back into normal soon enough.
    My company has actually been bought out recently too. Going to be a positive in the long run though, I hope anyway. Hectic for me lately too with some training and getting settled into a new reality, but eventually I should actually be at my desk more and able to post consistently. (fingers crossed...)

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

12. - Top - End - #402

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    Status: Paralyzation by Hold Person (Duration: 80min or so)
    Cursed: -4 to Attacks (Permanent) [/SPOILER]
    I am so tempted to stick, "Status: Dying" at the bottom of all my spoiler boxes from now on.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    1. I didn't forget to call for saves vs. Poison that last round, some of the snakes are non-poisonous.
    Oh, thank goodness. I was worried some of our hirelings would be toast.
    Who knew Murray had so many HP?
    I hope he lives through the poison and is treated in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish
    Originally Posted by Nevaera
    [SPOILER]Status: Paralyzation by Hold Person (Duration: 80min or so)
    Cursed: -4 to Attacks (Permanent)[SPOILER]
    I am so tempted to stick, "Status: Dying" at the bottom of all my spoiler boxes from now on.
    Lol, yeah.
    I was just looking into that. Sounds like you and I need Alanna to level up in a jiffy.
    ... more-so you than me.

14. - Top - End - #404

Quote Originally Posted by Koren n'Rhys View Post
    My company has actually been bought out recently too. Going to be a positive in the long run though, I hope anyway. Hectic for me lately too with some training and getting settled into a new reality, but eventually I should actually be at my desk more and able to post consistently. (fingers crossed...)
    Well, good luck to both of you!
    Aren't we all, though, really? /debbiedowner.
    Forum Rules

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Koren n'Rhys View Post
    Good luck to Koren and Gwendol in their jobs. I don't want anything bad to happen to you, especially so close to the holidays.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Why is Brandon attacking the snakes in close combat? I thought we were a good twenty feet back from them now.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Why is Brandon attacking the snakes in close combat? I thought we were a good twenty feet back from them now.
    Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Bran is trying to finish off the snakes so they can't poison anyone else.

His AC is low enough that they have very little chance of hitting him, so he's making himself a target.

Does that answer the question?

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

It's more sensible for it to be Brandon in Ash's absence. He's got the second lowest AC cause of his shield. And the snakes will advance if there's no one to intercept them.

If in doubt, torpedo Ash at them. Might dent them a little.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Are any of the snakes left poisonous? I figured we were retreating to hit them at range. Waste of Nathros to have him out of close combat, much better to be inflicting damage than relying on armour class to keep you clear.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Are any of the snakes left poisonous? I figured we were retreating to hit them at range. Waste of Nathros to have him out of close combat, much better to be inflicting damage than relying on armour class to keep you clear.
    No idea. Does anyone have a requisite nonweapon proficiency that might lead to identifying which snakes are poisonous?

21. - Top - End - #411

Short of sticking one of my hands in front of one of them and seeing if it kills me, no ophiology here.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

With meta-game knowledge regarding the second batch of snakes, the one who hit Murray is the only one that caused a poison save - twice.
    They attack twice in a round. >.<

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Wohoo! One snake hit and stunned!

24. - Top - End - #414

Should the bead actually have worked on me? I'm certainly not going to complain if Cause Disease didn't render me immune to magical healing, but I thought Cause Disease rendered the victim immune to magical healing.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Just vs. the disease, if I had to venture a guess. I think your HP would still come back fine. Anything caused by the disease would not be swayed by healing. Cure Disease would be needed for that.

This is based on my intuition, not proper research. The Rules Cyclopedia should have more detailed information.

26. - Top - End - #416

Should the bead actually have worked on me? I'm certainly not going to complain if Cause Disease didn't render me immune to magical healing, but I thought Cause Disease rendered the victim immune to magical healing.
    You are correct. Immune to magical healing, natural healing is at 1/2 normal rate, and -2 to attack rolls. I forgot about that last one. We'll have to apply it going forward.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-10-26 at 06:00 PM.
    Forum Rules

27. - Top - End - #417

In the plus column, the bead having had no effect on me should make my condition obvious.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

In the plus column, the bead having had no effect on me should make my condition obvious.
    Yes. Short-circuits any possible discussion about going forward. We HAVE to return to Threshold now.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh? Why's that?

We're really really far from Threshold and, what, 3 weeks from Verge? My memory is a little foggy on that - it was mentioned just before we encountered the snakes though.

If Alanna gets powerful enough (if we're given our experience on the road or something), then she'll be able to heal both Ash and Aditi. If she doesn't, Aditi might be dead before we return anywhere that could help us.

We are quite nerfed now though. I wonder what we might find if we tried to let Mycah and Aditi track the guy who got away? Perhaps they wouldn't expect us to press on - their spells would be diminished either way, right?

I dunno. Some stuff to think about.

30. - Top - End - #420

She's clearly been afflicted with some magical disease, but the characters certainly don't know much more than that. Its severity, prognosis, etc., is all uncertain to the characters.

Whether they make a mad dash back to Verge or Threshold, press on in hopes of Alanna earning enough divine favor to be granted cure disease, or something else, is up to you all to work out in and out of character.
    Forum Rules