A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Old Ways OOC III

Athos has no first hand experience with such powers nor does he recall hearing that such powers lie ahead on his arcane path. But thinking more broadly about what magic can do, turning sticks into snakes strikes Athos as something a priest or maybe a wizard, especially one out here in the wilderness could do. It also seems reasonable that someone could put that power into a bunch of bundles of sticks or a single device that casts the spell over and over. The wand of paralysis he carries does just that. Thinking of legends and myths, it seems like someone who focused on that calling of snakes could well have other powers that are similar, such as commanding actual snakes or enchanting the trees to constrict people.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-11-18 at 04:48 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwendol View Post
    Not that I'm aware of, no. Web is the only 2nd level spell I know.
    Then I understand that there's really no other option, and Web IS a really good spell if it can be utilized well.

Roland - a first level spell cannot be used in the place of a second level spell slot, can it?

3. - Top - End - #483

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    ...Roland - a first level spell cannot be used in the place of a second level spell slot, can it?
    Not that I'm aware of, no.
    Forum Rules

4. - Top - End - #484
    Colossus in the Playground

Not until 3ed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, thanks. ^_^

6. - Top - End - #486
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    The party arranges itself roughly according to Ash's directions. The message can be delivered by arrow and is discovered by the sentry. There is movement within the came and they begin to saddle up.
    Can Mycah estimate how many he saw as they got organized?

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

7. - Top - End - #487

Mycah recalls about a half-dozen horses, and the movement of men on the ground seems consistent with that. The camp could probably house twenty total, in the manner he's familiar with from his lumbercamp days.
    Forum Rules

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

Umm, perception roll to notice acts of deceit or subtleties among the serpent group that's come.
    Alertness DC13: (1d20)[17]

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Roland: I can't be sure, but can you remind us if the snake charmer in the 1st battle had his face uncovered when the party fought him?

Also, a few of us got a good close look at him, or heard him talk or cast. Even if we didn't see his face, what about his eyes or his voice?

Is there any roll we can make to ensure recall, or something?
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2013-12-01 at 03:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490

He appears and sounds just as before, though now you have a little more time to regard him.
    Forum Rules

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, have you, Frivolous and M.M.M, updated the electrum pieces on your character sheets?
    I have not yet been informed if you have.

That money will remain in limbo if you don't write it down and it will be lost cause "Ash gave it to you or stowed it for safe keeping in the bag of holding".

12. - Top - End - #492

I assume you misremembered your offer and that you aren't trying to stiff him. (120 pp = 1200 ep).
    ASH
    ..."We've twenty platinum coins for you and each of the men which I offered already and we've some gems which would be payment for the priest in exchange for the spells we require. The priest will know which spells we want. We've also come across a map that may lead to treasure, though I cannot guarantee that for sure."
    But you should confirm with me so that I can have him react accordingly.
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my gosh, yeah.
    I always mix up electrum in this edition with the way I think electrum works in 3rd (1g=2e).
    Sorry! I didn't bother to look it up this time like I think I did before.

>.<

I know I promised 20 electrum a piece though, not platinum. Right?

---

I just re-read his words upon his first approach and I didn't notice he said platinum at that time.

I'll check my older post and see if I said Electrum as I had intended. I really meant electrum this whole time! >.<

---

OH NO!!!!

I said Platinum!!! Man! This is Terrible!!! I don't have platinum!!

This is the biggest most important mistake ever!

I'm so sorry. I don't suppose we could over look that particular mistake as I've been saying electrum ever since and I really had no intention of typing the wrong word? (they sound the same in my head)
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-12-05 at 07:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Too bad no one noticed or bothered to point this mistake out earlier.

15. - Top - End - #495

Spoiler: Gratuitous recounting
    Show
    For the sake of completeness, you said it twice in the initial offer:
    ..."Perhaps some small wealth we might share between the rest of you for your aid and cooperation? Say, twenty platinum each?"
    ..."We've twenty platinum coins for you and each of the men which I offered already and we've some gems which would be payment for the priest in exchange for the spells we require. The priest will know which spells we want....
    Then, he arrived and accepted it...
    ..."You proposed a bargain. I accept. Bring forth the twenty platinum for each of my dozen men, and I will remove your curse. Have your priestess bring forth the gems removed from my foolhardy former employer and I will remove her very painful and lethal disease.
    Then, you repeat it back to him...
    ASH
    "From their perspective, it'd be far too easy to be double crossed by you should I reveal the location of the gems and platinum before being repaired....
    The first mention of electrum is when Ash goes to retrieve it.
    ASH
    After their end of the bargain is complete, she will not hesitate to retrieve the gems and coins. She doesn't have more than three hundred electrum stowed in the same coin sack as the gems - the party's supplies would still be in the bag of holding.
    Unless your fellow players independently thought that was too high a price, I'm not sure why anyone would have questioned it before then.

It might not be what you intended, but the amount you intended wouldn't have gotten the results you got. So if it was a mistake, it was a fortuitous one.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-12-05 at 09:40 PM.
    Forum Rules

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, that's pretty bad. I can't believe I did that so many times.

That is the sort of mistake I tend to make though - one of those words I tend to make a malapropism or something out of.

Well, I don't have platinum. The party is currently indebted to me and all I had to offer was some of the electrum I was trying to pay Ash back with - that's what I was bartering with.

---

I'm very sorry everyone for my mistake. I truly intended to only offer ten gold value to each of the men - though I suppose I could have offered a little more had they pushed the negotiations further (they may have just declined the offer though and not fixed Aditi or I). *shrugs*

I suppose it is fortuitous, though it takes away Ash's credibility. She's lawful, so I shouldn't have her do this intentionally.

It is nice that the spells have been removed from Aditi and Ash and the dark priest is down two spells he could have used against us now.

And Alanna might be able to silence him before he hurts Aditi.

I could hand over a large sum of electrum with a few gold mixed in on the top so that it looks too bothersome to count. It'd come out of the bag of holding on her horse. I would apologize for taking more time to count once Ash realized her mistake.

---

So what do you say guys?

A. Do you want a fight?
    or
    B. Do you want me to hand over all the electrum pieces everyone just got from the wyvern fight and then some?
    or
    C. I try to bluff the sum and then we probably fight.
    (Our hirelings and priestess could die and any of us could die. If I die, I guess I'd try a caster next, maybe. Alanna could perhaps have my armor and step up to the plate if she wanted.)

I'll try to act resolutely no matter what the outcome you guys choose.

17. - Top - End - #497

I recommend B. The party as a whole certainly has more than enough to pay. Alanna alone has 2308 gp (400+ pp). Neela alone could front the platinum. Others have considerable wealth left in Threshold to cover their shares.

I recommend that we assume the party borrowed from Neela for the time being and put it in the sack now being held by the priest. I'll wait 24 hours for any objection to that before posting the priest's next action.
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, that sounds quite reasonable.
    I second that one.

I had no idea there was so much wealth about.
    I know Ash should have a fair bit, technically (I've kept track and she should have over 1600g total (including the money she lent to the party to cover food and things).

Plus, I'm sure the party would find more wealth than that at the spider temple or during random encounters. We could even check the troll cave on our trip back if we think we can take it on still.
    Last time we mostly didn't want to weaken our forces before the spider temple I think.
    With any luck, the other group will have followed the map to see if they can find even more treasure and hopefully they'll fail against the troll and whatever else might be within (though the dark priest should tip the scale considerably - along with the snake bundles).

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

(120 pp = 1200 ep).
    Oh, right. That's not so bad, actually.

120pp = 1200ep = 600gp ?
    We can totally do that.

I really am awful when you bring platinum and electrum into the mix. I went over the money so many times before I was satisfied that I'd done it right and I could divvy it out to everyone.
    I'm not bad at math, but math problems (translating them) takes me a long time cause I have to recheck.

Anyone that's more confident and skilled at it want to give it a go as Treasurer?

Edit: Derp. So x2 = 1200gp 'cause I said 20pp each, not 10pp.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-12-07 at 01:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Nevaera: Alanna tried to cure Aditi twice using magical healing. Once using Cure Light Wounds and once using the gem. Both times nothing happened.

If she is still diseased, another cure spell won't work.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I figured. ^_^

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

In a little over a month (Jan. 11th-20th ish) I'll be away for a week on vacation.

Would someone like to volunteer to keep on top of things for me while I'm away?
    Loot talley...
    Caller...
    That kind of stuff.

23. - Top - End - #503

FYI: I'll get an IC up tomorrow.
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #504
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hi all. Sorry I missed this earlier. At work, I've had to start using an incognito browsing mode to be on the safe side and while I can click through to the threads and read them, unless I remember to log in every time, the forum doesn't know I've read the messages and then I don't get new email updates. I need to get better about checking in at least daily to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Anywho - don't sweat it Nevaera. Between all of us, we have plenty of money I believe and IMO it's worth it to play this one safe, get you two healed and be able to rethink our strategy here for a future raid if that's what we decide to do.

I didn't think twice about the offer of 20 platinum per man to be honest. It's just money and we can find more!

As far as vacations go, I'll be away from 12/28 - 1/5 and mostly without internet as far as I know. Probably a good thing - maybe I'll waste a lot less time ******* around online!

I'm sure we'll manage with the bookkeeping - we aren't moving at that fast a pace so it will be fine, I'm sure.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Sorry, but I won't know what my schedule will be like in that interval until shortly before it actually starts.

It could be I'll be very busy in those days. I don't know yet.

26. - Top - End - #506

I don't know how busy I'll be then either; I'll do what I can, of course.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

27. - Top - End - #507

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I don't know how busy I'll be then either; I'll do what I can, of course.
    Excellent. Nevaera does invaluable work keeping this game running. Any help one or more of you can provide over that period will be helpful.

By the way, is there a more updated character sheet for Aditi than the one linked in the OP? I think that's just her level 1 sheet and you did a newer one for her leveled-up self.

I rechecked the XP accrued at this point. I don't anyone's even close to a level up except maybe Aditi.
    Forum Rules

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks guys.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey guys, sorry for the inactivity! This week is finals week, so I don't think I'll be able to rejoin gameplay until the weekend my last test is Friday morning.
    I'll probably catch up to the thread and reply on Friday evening or Saturday.
    Feel free to have Alanna use her spells/other resources while I'm out.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #510

By the way, is there a more updated character sheet for Aditi than the one linked in the OP? I think that's just her level 1 sheet and you did a newer one for her leveled-up self.
    Here......
    Spoiler
    Show

This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.