A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways OOC III

I for one really appreciate all the diversity in our opportunities. We can really have our pick of what kind of missions and duties we may pursue. It's kind of exciting to look forward to the unsettling unknown of the spider tomb, the subtle manipulations of the higher-up people with connections, and the stories of dragons and giants and other such creatures. There's even the opportunity to help at Bost's Keep if we wanted something a little more familiar, stable, and close - say if most of our party wipes at the tomb.

Ash is going to leave a nice personal letter (a Will too) in Bost's vault before going to the tomb.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sorry about being out of the OoC thread!
    Also, welcome, Battlemage!

Yeah, I think Alanna will want to head straight to the Spider Temple, given she's already done several things to prepare. She might feel uneasy about taking so many new recruits, but she feels that, though dormant at the moment, the threat is too large to leave for much longer. She wouldn't feel too bad about letting the new guys "warm up" with something easier.
    As a player, I like the narrative idea of the Spider Temple, but I'm generally cool with going along for the ride. Being the deciding vote is somewhat new to me.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, we do have two casters and more healers. I suppose we have a chance now, so long as the girls can cast cure light wounds at least one time each. They'll be the in-camp healers, I figure. Just like the hirelings are our camp guards and ranged assistance.

From the lore, the spider immortals have wiped out near an entire adventuring party in days past. Even our seasoned players may not all come back from this.

In character, I believe Ash will suggest that the party investigate if Bargle or anyone has even bothered disturbing the tomb. If there are no signs of a recent entry, a slow and cautious progression through the tomb would be recommended to clear out its threats. Fighting a spider-person would likely disturb its parent/offspring/siblings from their magical slumbers, though I'm not certain that's the case.

Mainly I hope everyone knows the risk and will remember to be cautious, both OoC and IC.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can I assume we're on the road now? I'm a bit unsure if we're already on our way or still in some indeterminate time between the meeting and the departure.

5. - Top - End - #65

RangerGuy

I think we're still finalizing our plans, seeing if the boat is a viable option and so on. If you want to chime in, feel free!

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Indeed. Given that there is an overland route and a river route, the party will need to decide which to take. I recommend people post IC about whatever their final in-town preparations and acquisitions may be and discuss OOC whether they want to take one route or the other. Or just wait for the Caller to decide.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I've got the food and gear purchased, but we have too many horses to take by river. There's not ships or anything to buy and all the ones we could borrow are too small or too full.

We'll have to venture via roads and wilderness, unfortunately - but it will give us some opportunity for some random encounters that might help everyone get some group experience and find a battle niche.

8. - Top - End - #68

Sounds like Ash (and privately so far, Dural) favor the land route. Unless someone pipes up in favor of the water route in the next couple hours, I'll post the departure from town narrative and call for a marching order/travel plan.
    Forum Rules

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Bran favors the land route.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, we'll probably set up a three man watch each night 4hrs each.
    1. Three hirelings
    2. Alanna, Mycah, Ash
    3. Brandon, Aditi, Nathros
    Then everyone whose not a caster or a new priestess can get a turn every three days.

Can Ash sleep in her armor without penalty? (since it's enchanted for comfort)
    or is the penalty just a bit less maybe only?

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    Oh, we'll probably set up a three man watch each night 4hrs each.
    1. Three hirelings
    2. Alanna, Mycah, Ash
    3. Brandon, Aditi, Nathros
    Then everyone whose not a caster or a new priestess can get a turn every three days.
    Great.
    Can Ash sleep in her armor without penalty? (since it's enchanted for comfort)
    Yes.
    Forum Rules

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoohoo! Awesome!
    :D
    Ash will sleep in her armour unless in town.

Alright, when possible, we should camp near a source of water, but not so close that we can hear it more than just faintly. (If we're too close, we might not hear enemies when they approach.)
    In the evenings and mornings, people can freshen up there and refill wine-skins and water the horses.

We'll also keep our food stuffs sealed tight (preferable in the bag of holding) so the scent isn't carried to a lazy buffet opportunist.

Ash will need help setting up tents on potentially rainy nights (or at least for the ladies) and she'll be very helpful with watering the horses. However, she's not much of a cook, so if someone wants to get the fires going and put together a stew or soup for the group, I'll bet it would be more pleasant than jerky and stuff all the time.

This is just stuff for flavour, not all of it is particularly important regarding game rules and such.

13. - Top - End - #73

Oops, I forgot to note in the spoiler Brandon 's -3 up from that spear.
    Forum Rules

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Poo, guess Ash is rusty after all. (posted after attack roll was made)

15. - Top - End - #75

Kish, you can edit a post with rolls in it as long as you don't touch the roll code at all.

Also, please do OOC talk and questions in the OOC thread or in a spoiler.
    Forum Rules

16. - Top - End - #76

posting from my phone. Having some trouble with my home internet access. i'll try to get an IC post up tomorrow.
    Forum Rules

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Hoping I'm helping...
    You should also make all rolls in a spoiler too. ^_^

Combat is exciting, no?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry folks, I have been super busy lately and for some reason not receiving any reminders about the game! Did Nathros get that full plate armour in the end? I am guessing that is where his 600 GP would have gone.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Does it cost that much? I thought it was only 250gp... unless you got a special kind perhaps?

But so long as your *character sheet* is updated and the money accounted for, there's no worries.

Glad you're back.
    Somehow your rolls always kick butt too.
    Guess you're just in time.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Roland: Confirm that a warhorse can attack with 2 hooves?

My book says a war horse has 3 HD, thaco 17, and does 1-6/1-6.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Frivolous View Post
    Roland: Confirm that a warhorse can attack with 2 hooves?

My book says a war horse has 3 HD, thaco 17, and does 1-6/1-6.
    Those stats are correct. He can attack or you can attack. You can both try to attack, but with some difficulty/penalty dependent on the circumstances. Riding checks may be required and/or to hit penalties assessed. For example, trying to swing a sword at something your horse is rearing up and hoof attacking would be nearly impossible. But attacking something on your side while the horse attacks something in front seems more possible.
    Forum Rules

22. - Top - End - #82

Dural would stop his spell when he hears Ash's command to save a spell, but I don't know if that came to late for him or not. DM call I guess.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, sorry. She meant between the both of you. That way each wave isn't quite so overwhelming/daunting. There may yet be more of them. *shudder*

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Having some trouble with my rolls posting! Going to delete the last two posts and try again! Sorry! Man, I am making a mess! Finally, got the post to work!
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

25. - Top - End - #85

RangerGuy

OK folks, sorry for the delay. Back from my trade show and going to catch up shortly...

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Oops, I forgot to roll my alertness check to go with my actions on my last IC post.

Alertness DC13: (1d20)[20]

(Watch, this one will be a wicked attack roll instead. >.<)

Edit: Figures... I was actually thinking it'd probably be a twenty, based on the awful other rolls I've made thus far.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-06-13 at 03:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Does it cost that much? I thought it was only 250gp... unless you got a special kind perhaps?

But so long as your *character sheet* is updated and the money accounted for, there's no worries.
    Uggh. Just read the rules for this armour type. Seems to be "jousting armour". Nathros would happily pay 600 GP for an armour type with class 2 or 1 without the debilitating silliness of being unable to get up once knocked down!

Glad you're back.
    Somehow your rolls always kick butt too.
    Guess you're just in time.
    Jinxed me last round!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Uggh. Just read the rules for this armour type. Seems to be "jousting armour". Nathros would happily pay 600 GP for an armour type with class 2 or 1 without the debilitating silliness of being unable to get up once knocked down!
    Oooh, lovely!

Jinxed me last round!
    Oops!!! Sorry - Sumimasen - Gomen.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera
    Ash fires another arrow - at the berserker in the front from the first wave.
    ... She'll stow her bow if no more appear to be approaching and she'll move to intercept the closest berserker that's not asleep or about to be asleep.
    Wouldn't the one currently attacking Mycah be the one closest? I intended to do battle with this one until he's finished. I don't know if that somehow seemed unclear.
    I suppose it's a bit too late to change this after the results of the last round.
    I guess I'll try to be more descriptive in my spoilers of what I'm intending.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera
    "Penny - heal Mycah."
    Did Penelope heal Mycah as Ash called out for her to do?

Have the hirelings been firing arrows all this time? I had been counting on a little fire support from them through this.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoops, the d20 roll was misaligned.

Here's another go at it.

(1d20)[18]
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-06-14 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo

30. - Top - End - #90

Jinxed me last round!
    We can retro to mere plate, if you like, but yeah, you purchased the fancy suit armor. (AC 0, which you should change on your sheet in in your IC spoilers, if you're sticking with it.)
    Forum Rules