A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Old Ways OOC III

Ooh, Mycah got a natural 20.

Remind me again: Does that do anything special in this edition of D&D?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Thinkin' it's still a critical hit.

---

I'm not suggesting that this is a safe idea for Mycah, nor a pattern he should adopt, but it seems every time he knowingly goes in for a dangerous attack in melee, he gets a 20 or at least a successful "backstab" from being a thief.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

I have been pretty lucky with that, haven't I? I'm not going to complain, that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure Roland has house-ruled it as a crit for max damage, BTB in this edition though it's nothing special, not even a guaranteed hit.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

4. - Top - End - #214
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Koren n'Rhys View Post
    I'm pretty sure Roland has house-ruled it as a crit for max damage, BTB in this edition though it's nothing special, not even a guaranteed hit.
    Truth. I've added it to the OOC first post "houserules added during play" list. BTB, it's nothing. Here, I think it's going to be usually max damage and usually a hit even when it wouldn't be.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

We've been lucky in our rolls until this round.

Hope Ash and maybe Neela can hit.

6. - Top - End - #216

RangerGuy

For sure. It doesn't need a chance to hit back. All we need is one more round with a couple of decent hits...

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

7. - Top - End - #217

Skill rolls to see if Dural knows what parts of a wyvern might be useful for magical or alchemical endeavors:

Alchemy (Int 14): (1d20)[11]
    Knowledge Arcana (Int 14): (1d20)[8]
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-08-06 at 03:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

We were able to extract a favor from Merlinda for the displacer beast corpse. I'm hoping the 3 wyverns might be similarly useful.

Oh, by the way, Roland, I have an Alignment question:

Do you think that it is Chaotic to use poison?

What if you're using poison against a really nasty critter like, say, a dragon?

9. - Top - End - #219

Animals use poison and they're mostly Neutral. For PCs to use poison...civilized society frowns on it, particularly death poisons, stunning and paralyzing poisons too, but less so. What you do toward monsters out in the wilderness, society doesn't care so much. Immortals vary and probably don't care too much one way or the other as long as you're fighting Chaotic-types.

One would be wise to develop a skill (or a Skill) related to poison before trying to extract or use poison.
    Forum Rules

10. - Top - End - #220

We need Mycah or Aditi to drive the wyvern nest action. I'm willing to run with either but I don't want to the be one deciding what you do next.
    Forum Rules

11. - Top - End - #221

RangerGuy

Sorry guys, let me get something up for you.

FYI, heading to indianapolis for GenCon Thursday thru Sunday to focus to some face to face gaming goodness and don't expect to be online at all. Woo hoo!

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I didn't explicitly say that she left most of her equipment at the base of the aerie with Mycah's; unless saying so now is a problem, she did. If that doesn't work, she's likely to need to make an extra trip, but will leave all of her equipment except her empty pack and her dagger behind before climbing back up to get however many coins we left behind.
    Since Mycah did leave his things, being a new adventurer that she is, I'm sure she'd follow his example.

13. - Top - End - #223

RangerGuy

Back at the bottom in one piece - yay!

And with that, my friends, I am out to GenCon. Catch you on Monday!

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, lucky you.
    *waves* Have fun! ^_^

Edit: My husband and I were thinking we should try and make it to one of those in the next couple years before my daughter starts school.
    I've never been to a Con. before, but I think this would be a blast.
    It'd be great to see a bunch of different GM styles and the different types of players out there too.
    We do solo campaigns a lot and I think that going to a convention could help us add new elements to our somewhat redundant styles.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-08-15 at 02:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Do we move on from here, assuming we've collected all the wyvern teeth and so on?

By the way, I think Nathros is still badly wounded. He only has a few HP at the moment.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, Ash tried to patch him up but to no avail.

Perhaps Alanna can heal him before everyone camps tonight.

---

If the party reaches the X long before camp, they might have to investigate it carefully before sleeping.
    If they can find somewhere safe to camp or keep enough distance from the X, then they can probably scout it out in the morning - when everyone has their spells and health back.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-08-16 at 06:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno. Nathros rolled shockingly bad for hit points this level, so he only has a maximum of 14. He took 20 points of damage, which brought him down to "−6", but I am not clear if that counts against healing or not. Roland will have to clarify whether the +9 hit points healed brings him to 3 or 9 hit points.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

18. - Top - End - #228

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I dunno. Nathros rolled shockingly bad for hit points this level, so he only has a maximum of 14. He took 20 points of damage, which brought him down to "−6", but I am not clear if that counts against healing or not. Roland will have to clarify whether the +9 hit points healed brings him to 3 or 9 hit points.
    Off the cuff, I'd say 3.
    Forum Rules

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Yowzaz, I thought we stopped at 0 for some reason. >.<

Alanna needs to send him a heal.

If only Penny had not been in such a daze when she healed Ash and had instead healed Nathros. :P ( I still had 10hp when she'd healed Ash >.< )

20. - Top - End - #230

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    Ooh, lucky you.
    *waves* Have fun! ^_^

Edit: My husband and I were thinking we should try and make it to one of those in the next couple years before my daughter starts school.
    I've never been to a Con. before, but I think this would be a blast.
    It'd be great to see a bunch of different GM styles and the different types of players out there too.
    We do solo campaigns a lot and I think that going to a convention could help us add new elements to our somewhat redundant styles.
    Back home, post-Con and 12 hour drive. Great fun, quite a bit poorer. Unfortunately, my daughter tried Magic the Gathering and loved it. I managed to avoid it myself for 20 years now. <sigh>

I think you'd have a great time no matter what you end up doing while you're there. Going last year was my first Con ever, too, so you might as well dive right in! It's a long three days with hordes of people, so it's pretty exhausting, but worth it since you get exposed to so much while you are there. We actually spend a lot more time playing in demos of games we don't have, and playing new boardgames. Not much RPGing at all.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I see! Still sounds like quite an experience. I do believe the hordes of people would be overwhelming, but worth a shot if it's not too stuffy and if there's still a lot of demos and games to play. I suppose there wouldn't be a lot of roleplaying when everything's probably rushed like that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Why is everyone so certain an illegible map leads to anything relevant to our lives,...
    Heheh, I know right? :P
    I figure they just love the adventure and chance of treasure. Doesn't have to make sense really. If I was the only player, I'd probably do the same, but with a group, I can afford to have differing opinions IC and still get the fun and loot. Mwahahha

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Off the cuff, I'd say 3.
    Understandable, though I would have preferred 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Koren n'Rhys View Post
    Unfortunately, my daughter tried Magic the Gathering and loved it. I managed to avoid it myself for 20 years now. <sigh>
    Nnnnooooo! Maybe get her the computer game versions?
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

23. - Top - End - #233

I've been playing the Duel of Planeswalkers 2014. It's got pretty graphics, a very good tutorial, and multiple difficulty settings. It has a campaign setting with a bit of a story arc, a sealed deck mode, and some puzzles (like you have one turn to defeat your opponent with this layout). Overall, a nice way to play without breaking the bank. I think I paid $10 on Steam, and I'd estimate at least 60 hours of play before I'm going to feel enticed to purchase anything more.

I still prefer the cards, but it's a nice alternative.

----
    On a game related note, let's try to get this game up to a post a day for everybody. Even if all you have to post is position or internal monologue, let's all try to check in once each day.
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, sorry, sometimes my e-mail alert does not get responded to immediately and I forget that I opened the message, which occasionally causes me to miss a day. Apologies.

25. - Top - End - #235

RangerGuy

Ha! We don't live anywhere near a FLGS, so it's not like she'll be playing in tournaments or anything, just fun games at home. Mercifully, I won't need to buy annual sets or constant boosters looking for the latest rare cards.

We did a "Learn to Play Magic" event at GenCon just since I never actually knew much about it and got some 30 card starter decks, then I spent all of $20 on a box of ~1200 mixed old cards so she can paw through those and build a few decks. Something to have fun with, that's all.

The software things sounds interesting. Steam, so PC only? I'd be more inclined to try a tablet app if such a thing existed. I briefly looked, but didn't see much to actually play, mostly management things instead.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

26. - Top - End - #236

Hey guys. Due to some unexpected real life circumstances I find myself with a sudden lack of both time and energy for the foreseeable future. Because of that I sadly will have to drop out of the game. Really sorry about that. I very much enjoyed playing and hope that you can find a quick replacement. Take care and have fun!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

That is a pity. It was fun having you along. Hope life calms down a bit for you soon, and feel free to drop back by when it does!

28. - Top - End - #238

RangerGuy

Sorry to hear that - good gaming to you Battlemage. C'mon back when you have time!

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, what they said. I hope you can come back soon, if things settle down. Take care. ^_^

30. - Top - End - #240

That is a pity. It was fun having you along. Hope life calms down a bit for you soon, and feel free to drop back by when it does!
    Agreed. Immortals willing, we'll still be here. Best wishes to you until then!
    Forum Rules