Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Magic the Gathering: You make the Mini-Set!

Current Challenge: Make a multicolored horizontal cycle.

Graveyard synergy does not include synergy with creatures dying.

Judging should be up Sunday, October 5th.

Other contests:
    You Make the Card!

The You Make the Card contest has been growing strong for a while now, and it's about time we started another parallel contest to allow more cards to be made, for those who are up to it!

If you don't know what this contest is all about, I would suggest reading the first post in the main thread, which has the basic rules for these contests, such as how judging works and how to format your entries.

The main difference between that thread and this one is that rather than designing a single card, in this contest each week you will design a total of 6 cards, 5 common and 1 uncommon. You must follow the normal rules for posting cards, along with whatever special rules the judge comes up with for that week.

One additional rule is that, for this set, you are allowed to use already existing cards as one or more of your entries. Simply post the card in the normal format, and make sure to note that the card is a reprint. (The easiest way to do this is to simply make the card's name a link to it's gatherer page)

Here's some additional tips on how to make a good entry. These aren't rules, so feel free to break them if you need to, but in general you should probably follow these unless there's a specific reason not to.

Spoiler
    Show

Focus on one part of your set.

It's very tempting to make a bunch of cool cards that show off different parts of your theoretical set, but you must resist! You only have a small space to work in, so you need to narrow down on a small part of your set and really drive that one point home. Often this means focusing on a single color, mechanic, and/or piece of flavor, but it's up to you to decide what you want to focus on.

Don't make your cards too complicated.

Commons and uncommon cards are much more restricted in how complex they can be compared to rare and mythic rares, so keep this in mind when designing your cards. If you haven't already, you may want to read Maro's articles on the New World Order, which explains things very well.

Don't make your cards too simple.

I know I just said that cards shouldn't be too complex, but the opposite is also true. A Gray Ogre may be all good and necessary for a real set, but it doesn't do much to show what the set is about.

Don't make your cards too powerful.

We aren't trying to make tournament-grade cards here. It's fine if some or even all of your cards are, but more often you're better off making a functional, simple card that fills it's role. These cards are supposed to be the bread and butter of your set, not the bleeding edge of power.

Consider how your cards interact.

It's all well and good to make each of your cards absolutely perfect in a vacuum, but remember that you're designing a set, not 6 unrelated cards. Take a step back, and look at your cards as a whole.

Don't design your cards around something outside the 6.

If one or more of your cards are designed to work around instants and sorceries, make damn sure you include at least one instant or sorcery in your 6. Similarly, if your cards care about stuff in the graveyard, you probably want to include a way to get stuff there. If your cards are designed to work with something that you can't put in the set, such as something that only shows up at rare, that's usually a good sign that you need to change your focus.

Keep limited in mind.

Commons are the most, well, common cards in limited, so keep in mind how these cards would affect a limited environment. This isn't as critical as the others, unless the judge calls for it specifically, but it's still a good thing to consider.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2014-09-28 at 08:07 PM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering: You make the Mini-Set!

By "single color set" do you mean "all the cards in my set are White" or do you mean "the set is focused on mono-color" or do you mean that all the cards from my entry should be in the same color from the same set?
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    By "single color set" do you mean "all the cards in my set are White" or do you mean "the set is focused on mono-color" or do you mean that all the cards from my entry should be in the same color from the same set?
    I meant that your set (the cards you're entering) have to be the same color. I'll edit that to clarify though.

Edit: Actually, I'll just take that restriction out. You probably do still want to focus on one color in general, but I'll leave that to your discretion.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2013-05-22 at 02:31 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm. A mini-set of mostly common-rarity cards, focused on tokens... I had an idea for counters, but I'm not sure about tokens. There's been so many token things already; saprolings, eldrazi spawn, goblins, soldiers, merfolk, faeries, squirrels. Having trouble coming up with a good way to make them unique or interesting.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2013-05-22 at 05:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooooh new game! I think this may be fun, except that I can't make commons well, I think.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eldrazi are back, have a cycle:

Ondu Lifeweaver 2W
    Creature - Kor Cleric - Commmon
    When ~ enters the battlefield, you may put a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn creature token onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool."
    Whenever you sacrifice a token, you may gain one life.
    1/1
    Ula's blessing still resounds in these monstrosities.

Hamilar Winddrafter 3U
    Creature - Merfolk Wizard - Common
    When ~ enters the battlefield, you may put 2 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn creature tokens onto the battlefield. They have "Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool."
    Whenever you sacrifice a token, you may have target creature gain flying until end of turn.
    2/3
    With the Eldrazi gone, merfolk children learned to play with the remnants.

Malakir Deathwatcher 3B
    Creature - Vampire Shaman - Common
    When ~ enters the battlefield, you may put a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn creature token onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool."
    Whenever you sacrifice a token, you may have target opponent lose 1 life.
    3/2
    Death comes to all, even the Eldrazi.

Akoum Fireflinger 4R
    Creature - Giant Warrior - Common
    When ~ enters the battlefield, you may put 2 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn creature tokens onto the battlefield. They have "Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool."
    Whenever you sacrifice a token, you may have ~ deal one damage to target creature.
    5/3
    Only thing better than spawn tossing is flaming spawn tossing.

Oran-Rief Manabloomer 5G
    Creature - Elf Druid - Common
    When ~ enters the battlefield, you may put 4 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn creature tokens onto the battlefield. They have "Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool."
    Sacrifice two tokens: Add 3 to your mana pool.
    1/3
    Nature can bloom from even otherworldly sources.

Spawn Beacon 4
    Tribal Artifact - Eldrazi - Uncommon
    Eldrazi Spawn you control get +1/+1
    3, Tap: Put a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn creature token onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool."
    It gathers the remnants of the departed Eldrazi, making harvest much simpler.

So, in case this wasn't obvious, this set would be based back in Zendikar after the Eldrazi depart once again. The races quickly adapted and have learned to utilize the harmless spawn the Eldrazi left in their wake. The set would be towards the high end for mana costing, but not very color dependent, allowing the full use of Eldrazi Spawn, but other token types work just as well for powering engines if you have a sac outlet (of which many will exist).
    Last edited by HypoSoc; 2013-05-22 at 05:07 PM.
    Hoc Dictum Videtur Esse Melius In Latine.
    This Motto Sounds Better In Latin.
    Cadimus Concordia.
    United We Fall.
    Nolite Hamena Machinae Timere, Nam Iusta Erunt.
    Do Not Fear The Reign Of Machines, For They Shall Be Just.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Bit sad theres no use of rares here, but whatever. Goblins! The Orn are beastial goblins known for rapid breeding.

Orn Footsoldier R

Creature - Goblin Warrior C

Goblin Swarm 1 (~ comes to play with 1 swarm counter on it. Whenever it deals combat damage to a player, remove a swarm counter and put a 1/1 goblin token into play)

"You are going to go to battle, and you are going to take your brother whether you like it or not!" - Mard, Orn Tribe Mother

1/1

Orn Seeder 1R

Creature- Goblin Shaman C

Goblin Swarm 1 (~ comes to play with 1 swarm counter on it. Whenever it deals combat damage to a player, remove a swarm counter and put a 1/1 goblin token into play)

3R: Put a Swarm counter on target goblin you control.

Some seeds produce vile crops.

1/1

Orn Pathfinder 2R

Creature - Goblin C

Tap: Target goblin is unblockable until end of turn.

Finding enough food for such hordes is not always easy for the Orn. Fortunatly, they are good at finding fights.

2/2

Orn Tribe-Mother 4R

Creature - Goblin C

Trample

Goblin Swarm 4 (~ comes to play with 4 swarm counters on it. Whenever it deals combat damage to a player, remove a swarm counter and put a 1/1 goblin token into play)

It brings a mother great joy to see her children in the army. The Orn only have to wait a day.

3/3

Birth Rites 2R

Tribal Enchantment - Goblin C

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a swarm counter on target goblin you control.

The rituals of birth begin at conception

Birthing Spree 3RR

Tribal Sorcery - Goblin U

Remove up to 1 swarm counter from any number of goblins you control. For each counter removed this way put a 1/1 goblin token onto the battlefield.

Until end of turn, red creatures you control have haste.

Woe betide anyone who attacks them on November the 14th
    Last edited by onasuma; 2013-05-23 at 10:22 AM.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

No rares is really lame for the record.

Zergling R
    Creature - Zerg C
    Haste
    Spawn 0 (You may sacrifice a creature and pay 0 to cast this creature.)
    1/1

Hydralisk 2R
    Creature - Zerg C
    Spawn 1R (You may sacrifice a creature and pay 1R to cast this creature.)
    T1R: ~ deals 2 damage to target creature.
    2/2

Baneling 2R
    Creature - Zerg C
    Spawn R (You may sacrifice a creature and pay R to cast this creature.)
    Sacrifice ~: ~ deals 4 damage to target creature blocking it or it's blocking.
    2/1

Roach 3B
    Creature - Zerg C
    Spawn 1B (You may sacrifice a creature and pay 1B to cast this creature.)
    1B: Regenerate ~.
    1/4

Spawning Orders 3B
    Sorcery - C
    Put a 0/1 red and black larva token onto the battlefield for each creature that died this turn.

Larva Hatchery
    Land - U
    T: Add 1 to your mana pool
    2T: Put a 0/1 red and black larva token onto the battlefield. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

The Spawn mechanic obviously makes great use of token-producers to pump out creatures faster without losing card advantage.
    Last edited by DoctorWhooves; 2013-05-22 at 06:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I disagree. No rares forces you to create interesting designs that don't let you do more or less whatever you want. Your designs now have to exist clearly in the framework of whatever set your cards come from, which increases the challenge.

Here's my current entry, although I want to write something better.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rorgath's Brigand 2BB
    Creature - Human Pirate C
    Whenever Rorgath's Brigand deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
    "The best information comes at the point of a sword."
    - Rorgath, Captain of the Hydra

3/2

Pillage the Coast 3RR
    Sorcery C
    Destroy target artifact or land. Put two 1/1 red Pirate creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Rorgath's Boatswain 4B
    Creature - Ogre Pirate C
    T, Sacrifice a creature: Pirate creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain trample until end of turn.
    "A little punishment keeps them in line. Better make sure this one dies."
    - Rorgath, Captain of the Hydra

2/3

Boarding Party 1R
    Sorcery C
    Put two 1/1 red Pirate creature tokens onto the battlefield.
    No one ever boards a ship alone. Otherwise there would be no one to throw overboard.

Pirate's Cutlass 2
    Artifact - Equipment C
    Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and trample. If equipped creature is a Pirate, it gets an additional +2/+0.
    Cuts past the guards to the real treasure.
    Equip 3

Brigand Recruiter 2R
    Creature - Human Pirate U
    Whenever Brigand Recruiter deals combat damage to an opponent, put that many 1/1 red Pirate creature tokens onto the battlefield.
    Building a crew is as easy as putting a knife to their family's throats.
    2/1

Edit: Yeah, the Pirates did not fit with the requirements of the contest, so we're going to try something else. I decided to go with blue, since I figured no one else would do anything with this color.

Mariki's Apprentice 3UU
    Creature - Human Wizard C
    When Mariki's Apprentice enters the battlefield, put a 2/2 blue Illusion token with flying onto the battlefield.
    The newest AEthermages abandoned their studies after Mariki showed them a simpler path to mastery.
    1/1

Peel from Reality 1U
    Instant C
    Return target creature you control and target creature you don't control to their owners' hands.
    The AEther often reclaims what is drawn from it.

AEther Calling 2U
    Sorcery C
    Put a 2/2 blue Illusion creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
    All begins on Mistereos are drawn into life from the AEthermist. AEthermages first learn to manipulate this basic energy to create the ethereal servants which serve the Order of AEther.

Replace with Ethereal 3UU
    Instant C
    Counter target creature spell. Put a 2/2 blue Illusion creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
    "A proper summoning spell shouldn't be so exploitable."
    - Mariki of Koribel

Illusory Warrior 1UU
    Creature - Illusion Soldier C
    When Illusory Warrior deals combat damage, return it to its owner's hand. (Return it only if it survived combat.)
    "The best loyalties are the most temporary."
    - Mariki of Koribel

3/3

AEther Remnants 2UU
    Enchantment U
    Whenever a creature returns to your hand, put a 2/2 blue Illusion creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
    In the hands of a skilled AEthermage, a lost summon is simply a gate to something new.

Some comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Overall Mistereos is going to feature tokens more prominently than other sets. I hoped that Mariki's Summoner and AEther Calling would get across that this was not a typical set. Blue does not usually get effects like Mariki's Summoner, and AEther Calling is pretty much a Wind Drake. I chose these cards to specifically point out that Blue is getting in on the token action. I really wanted to fit a green sorcery to go along with AEther Calling to show that tokens are a bigger thing, but I wasn't sure whether that card would really be better than Illusory Warrior, so I stuck with the Warrior.

The flavor text on Illusory Warrior is my favorite of the bunch and I think shows a certain side of Mariki's character that we don't quite see in the other cards. He really isn't a nice guy, and his intentions are made much clearer on Illusory Warrior. Mariki would be an influential figure, although you won't see him in this contest since he's a Rare or Mythic Rare. The Warrior itself is important for connecting strategically with AEther Remnants while also being the card of card you'd probably want to take anyways since it really mucks up the ground. This set will tend toward a lot of smaller creatures, since White, Green, and Red will have lots of small tokens, so Illusory Warrior will end up being less effective offensively and defensively than it might otherwise, making it also an interesting card.

Normally the condition of "look at all the tokens!" would make Blue a naturally powerful color, but I attempted to weaken the bounce as much as I could. Peel from Reality is going to be a bit worse in a set where most of your creatures are tokens, too (although it is very powerful with Mariki's Summoner). I made an effort not to include another bounce spell and instead include something that "ices," as most sets only have 2 or 3 at Common. This set will probably have only 1, in order to keep Blue under control. I'm not sure about Replace with Ethereal. It seems fair enough, and given that there will be more instants and sorceries making creatures and less creatures themselves, it might be fine. It's also very slow, as a 5-mana counterspell is very hard to cast. I'm not sure how good it will be. I wanted to put in one more card that gave you a token just to cement that Blue was going to make some tokens.

AEther Remnants really drove this design, as I wanted to figure out something Blue could do with tokens. People like to bounce tokens because it "destroys" them, but AEther Remnants gives you something in return if bounce is the way they plan to go. I think it definitely gives a blue player something cool to build around in Limited, and the tools are obviously there to do so. I imagine Illusory Warrior will not be a big card in this set, so the player trying to go the AEther Remnants route will probably get it.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2013-05-23 at 02:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

There should be more card necessary.

It should be 6 commons, 3 uncommons, and a rare.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay here is my very first attempt at so many commons. Can we come up with a set name if wanted? If so, Ryklow: Land of War This set is in a plane where there is a constant war between humans and mutants, with interferences from other races.

Charge the enemy WW2
    Instant C
    Put three 1/1 White Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield under your control.

Joint force W3
    Enchantment-Aura C
    Enchant creature
    Whenever enchanted creature attacks, put a 1/1 White Soldier creature token onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.

Mutilation BBB1
    Sorcery C
    Destroy all creatures target player controls, then put X 2/2 Black Mutant Creature tokens onto the battlefield under that players control where X is the number of creatures destroyed this way.

Militia leader WW3
    Creature-Human Soldier U
    Creature tokens you control get +1/+0.
    Rush W2 (Pay ~ rush cost to put it onto the battlefield tapped and attacking, sacrifice it at the end of the turn. Use Rush only when you are declaring attackers.)
    4/4

Mutant Commando B3
    Creature-Mutant Soldier C
    When ~ enters the battlefield, All Mutants you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
    Rush B1 (Pay ~ rush cost to put it onto the battlefield tapped and attacking, sacrifice it at the end of the turn. Use Rush only when you are declaring attackers.)
    3/3
    Last edited by Duck999; 2013-05-22 at 05:40 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhooves View Post
    There should be more card necessary.

It should be 6 commons, 3 uncommons, and a rare.
    I disagree. Commons and uncommons are a more important part of your design than rares are, because they are a greater part of your set percentage wise, players will see more of them due to booster pack distribution, and they have to carry the bulk of what your set is trying to do. If people can't figure out what you're trying to do at Common, you aren't doing it very well. Thus, I think that you should have to get across your goals at the common and uncommon level. Allowing a rare allows someone to cheat this a little bit. I think it is a better show of a set design for us to see your commons, rather than your rares.

Designing 6 cards is hard enough. I think leaving the number as it is will make it easier for people to enter the contest and therefore get involved and start learning about what it means to design cards.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2013-05-22 at 06:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm. Well, here's a thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drone Creche
    Land C
    ~ comes into play tapped.
    T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
    2, T: Discard a card. If you do, put a 0/1 Drone token into play.
    Drone population at 70% of optimal capacity. Recommend redirecting resources to Creche 5.

Labor Crew 3WW
    Creature - Drone Mob C
    When Drone Mob enters the battlefield, put a 0/1 Drone token into play.

Sacrifice a Drone: Gain 2 life.
    1/4
    Look around you. All of this is only made possible through drone technology. And you would have us abandon it on paranoia?

Rogue Drone 2W
    Creature - Drone C
    Other Drones you control gain +1/+0.
    1/2
    All rumors of drone malfunctions have been investigated by the Council, and no cause for concern has been found.

Remote Garrison WW
    Creature - Wall
    Defender
    Whenever a creature you control blocks, gain 1 life.
    0/3
    The longer we fight them there, the less we have to fight them here.

Reallocation 3W
    Sorcery C
    Sacrifice a permanent. Put three 0/1 Drone tokens into play.
    Thank you for your cooperation in the war effort.

Dronesquad Captain 2WW
    Creature - Human Soldier U
    Sacrifice a drone: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
    2/2
    I don't care how tight your resources are; I can't win a war without bodies.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, White is a color that's often been associated with tokens, but I figured this might be a slightly different take on it. Individually, drones are no more than chump blockers. Collectively, they're a useful resource. Obviously the limitation on number and rarity of cards kept me from showing off all the things you could do with them, but hopefully this illustrates the basic idea.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Brightsand Elder 1W
    Creature – Human Cleric C
    When Brightsand Elder dies, put a 1/1 colourless Sand creature token onto the battlefield.
    The Brightsand sect throw themselves into battle, for the chance of immortality and to guide future generations with their wisdom.
    1/2

Darkdune Cabal 2BB
    When Darkdune Cabal dies, put two 1/1 colourless Sand creature tokens onto the battlefield.
    The Darkdune sect throw themselves into battle, for the chance of immortality and to rule over others as they have been ruled.
    2/2

Brightsand Redeemer 1WW
    Sand creatures you control get +1/+1.
    “The Old Gods bless us with power, and life beyond life. We only need to stay the path. Let all who would oppose them drown in a tide of sand! ” - Curate Nassir
    2/2

Altar's Reap
    Instant C
    As an additional cost to cast Altar's Reap, sacrifice a creature.
    Draw two cards.
    “He sacrifices his own followers vainly searching for a way to stop us. It matters not, our research has already granted us the tools of our victory.” - Nadine Hazem, Arch-alchemist

Call of the Old Gods 1B
    Instant C
    As an additional cast to cast Call of the Old Gods sacrifice a creature.
    Put two 1/1 colourless Sand creature tokens onto the battlefield
    “Though sand may be scattered to the corners of the world, or lay dormant at the bottom of a sea, it was there the day life first walked the world and will be there long after life has left it. Hear my words and grasp the chance for immortality!” - Curate Nassir

Glazeburn 1R
    Sorcery U
    Glazeburn deals 3 damage to each token creature.
    “They're not nearly as threatening when you turn them into glass.” - Nadine Hazem, Arch-alchemist
    Last edited by Strategos; 2013-05-23 at 05:15 PM.
    As your time spins and sets what you love you can forget this I hope, I believe it's insomnia fantasy the tortoise had a dream that he was free. when he woke up, he was married. some things are better than freedom.
    freedom, kōan 129. koanoftheday.com

Kris & Lyra by me.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Bramble Elemental 3GG
    Creature - Elemental C
    Whenever an aura becomes attached to Bramble Elemental, put two 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Fists of Ironwood 1G
    Enchantment - Aura C
    Enchant creature
    When Fists of Ironwood enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield.
    Enchanted creature has trample.

Echoing Courage 1G
    Instant - C
    Target creature and all other creatures with the same name as that creature get +2/+2 until end of turn.

Beginner's Luck G
    Enchantment - Aura C
    Enchant Creature
    Enchanted creature gets +1/+1
    Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may attach Beginner's Luck to that creature.

Sprout G
    Instant - C
    Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.

Stampeding Mosstodon 3GG
    Creature - Plant Elephant U
    Trample
    At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 1/1 green saproling creature token onto the battlefield, then return a nontoken green permanent you control to its owners' hand.
    You have to watch out not just for where they step, but for wherever they've stepped already.
    5/3

EDIT: There we go. I... I just really missed that one little card interaction from Ravnica, okay?
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2013-05-24 at 10:50 PM.
    Mina, Lynera, Ajax, Vena.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin Assemble - 2RR
    Tribal Sorcery - Goblin - C
    Put three 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield.
    “Goblins, assemle! I said assemble! Assemble, assemble, assemble! I give up."
    - Thyd, goblin War Caller

Gorthang Battleleader - 2R
    Creature - Goblin Soldier - C
    T: Up to two target goblins get +1/+1 and gains haste until end of turn.
    Goblins battle leaders don’t so much use orders as just shouting and hoping the goblins will do something useful.
    1/1

Bloodbone Shaman - G
    Creature - Goblin Shaman - C
    T: Add R to your mana pool.
    Human shamans are older and wiser than the rest of the tribe. Goblin shamans are just more insane.

Goblin Tracker - 2G
    Creature - Goblin Scout - C
    T: Reveal the top card of your library, if that card is a Goblin, put a 1/1 red Goblin creature token onto the battlefield.
    Trackers always use the following rule: if there are goblins; there are more goblins.

Goblin Bushwhacker - R
    Creature - Goblin Warrior - C
    Kicker R (You may pay an additional Red as you cast this spell.)
    When Goblin Bushwhacker enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+0 and gain haste until end of turn.
    1/1

Goblin War Caller - 2R
    Creature - Goblin Warrior - U
    Haste
    Other goblin creatures you control get +1/+1.
    “They have castled themselves within their castle. Which is really well armored. We probably can’t breach it. Attack!”
    - Most inspiring goblin speech of all time.
    2/2
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2013-05-26 at 12:53 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Where is your uncommon?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Where is your uncommon?
    The war caller was supposed to be, but i seem to have made it a common, fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out to me.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    “They have castled themselves within their castle. Which is really well armored. We probably can’t breach it. Attack!”
    - Most inspiring goblin speech of all time.
    Just want to say this is sooo epic. Have an internets.
    Cadimus Concordia.
    United We Fall.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HypoSoc View Post
    Just want to say this is sooo epic. Have an internets.
    Thanks.
    *Puts internets in pocket*
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Shouldn't that be a quote by Ibid Halfheart? Real MTG example: everyone except me, ATTACK!
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

^@ Maybe it is, who knows.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Ib Halfheart. Ibid halfheart is when you're quoting him for a second time in a bibliography in a row.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Payrn Alpha - 3WW
    Creature - Hound - U
    Pack - When Payrn Alpha attacks or blocks creatures you control that share a creature type with it gain +1/+1 until the end of the turn.
    When Payrn Alpha enters the battlefield, place a 2/2 white Hound token onto the battlefield.
    3/3

Runt of the Litter - 1W
    Creature - Hound - C
    Pack - When Runt of the Litter attacks or blocks creatures you control that share a creature type with it gain +1/+1 until the end of the turn.
    "We must fight to protect the weakest of our citizens" - Queen Roxy to King Felix
    1/2

Payrn Aristocat - 2W
    Creature - Cat - C
    When Payrn Aristocat enters the battlefield, place a 2/2 white Hound token onto the battlefield.
    "Spike, please see Ambassador Errol out, I'll have no talk of a war beneath my roof." - Charlie, Aristocat
    1/1

Felix's Call
    - 3W
    Sorcery - C
    Put three 1/1 white Cat creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Alley Meeting - 1W
    Sorcery - C
    Choose one — Place two 1/1 white Cat creature tokens onto the battlefield; Place a 2/2 white Hound creature token onto the battlefield.

Smuggling Rats - BB
    Creature - Rat - C
    When Scavenging Rats enters the battlefield each player discards a card, then for each land card discarded this way place a 1/1 black Rat token onto the battlefield.
    They can acquire anything if the price is right.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

No judging yet? I contacted the judge so don't spam him.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Working on it now. Taking a bit longer than expected, though I really should have known since I've judged this kind of contest plenty of times before. Will be up some time today.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

HypoSoc
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ondu Lifeweaver:
    A very simple design, but often that's what works best in common. I like that it does exactly what it needs to do, and nothing more.

Hamilar Winddrafter
    This one is a bit odd. The times you want a creature to fly are often different from the times that you want mana, and decks that want to attack with evasive creatures don't have much overlap with decks that want to ramp up mana with eldrazi spawn.

Malakir Deathwatcher
    Another good design, though the effect may be a bit much for common. This is the kind of powerful and game-changing effect that often shows up in uncommon, or even rare (though with more power than this), rather than common. Still, the effect is straightforwards enough that it can scrape by as an exception to the general rule of commons.

Akoum Fireflinger
    This is very strong, and even worse, it adds a ton of complexity to the board. It makes every token into a potential burn spell. It's exactly the kind of card that is being moved out of common, and should probably be rare.

Oran-Rief Manabloomer
    And here we return to the good, simple and straightforwards commons. A bit on the expensive side for a common, but green is the color to have this kind of card if any color is. The effect it has is fairly strong, and potentially a build-around, which means it could be uncommon, but it doesn't really change the character of a deck, just ramps it up higher, so it's OK.

Spawn Beacon
    I like the idea of pushing an aggressive spawn token deck, which is great for limited, but unfortunately the power level is too low to really make you want to push for it. On it's own, it pumps out 1/2s for 3 mana once a turn, which is pretty bad. Bumping the bonus up to +2/+1 would have gone a long way to making this a strong limited card that pushes you to a certain type of deck.

Overall, I think you went a bit too broad in your designs. Each card seems to want to do a different thing with the tokens. You would likely have been better served by focusing on one or two colors and a specific archetype with clearer interactions between the cards. As is, I don't really know anything about the set other than "it has eldrazi spawn", which could have been accomplished with just one card. What are the spawn being used to summon? What other spells are there that support them? In that sense, you focused too much on one thing. At the end of the day, this is basically 5 versions of the same card, which isn't very good use of your limited design space.

As a side note, I notice that you stuck "may" in there wherever you could. While that's good to have in some cases, such as dealing damage or granting abilities, with stuff like lifegain it simply adds unecessary words. The normal templating for eldrazi spawn creatures also doesn't include a "may", so that shouldn't be there for consistency.

onasuma
    Spoiler
    Show
    Orn Footsoldier
    As the simplest form that Swarm can take, this is the perfect bread and butter common. It also goes in well with aggressive decks, and looks good on the power scale as well. Sometimes good design means boiling something down to it's most raw form, which this is the perfect example of.

Orn Seeder
    The power level here is definitely in the common category (and probably a bit lower than it needs to be, to be honest), but the complexity this adds to the board makes me want to say it's uncommon. It's close enough that an exception could be made, but the design isn't really strong enough to make that exception worthwhile. I feel this would have worked much better at a higher rarity (and likely a higher power level as well).

Orn Pathfinder
    Very nice. This is the perfect role-player in this type of deck. It doesn't say anything about spawn tokens anywhere on it, but you can tell that it fits in with cards that do have it very well, allowing you to get past blockers and make more tokens.

Orn Tribe-Mother
    A bit odd to see a goblin be so large and trampling, but creature type aside, this is a solid card.

Birth Rites
    Another nice simple card, does what it needs to do without any fuss.

Birthing Spree
    I don't really like this. The whole idea of the Swarm mechanic is that it makes you want to connect with your creatures, and rather than supporting that, this simply circumvents it and gives you the tokens without any kind of hassle. It works, and works well, but I can't help but feel like it detracts from the feel and flavor of swarm, rather than enhancing it.

Overall, I think you did a good job in focusing on one area and showing what the set is doing, but Swarm as a mechanic falls short. It requires large numbers of both tokens and counters, and lots of moving those around, which causes logistical problems, and the fact that it's putting counters onto creatures that aren't +1/+1 counters means that the set basically can't use +1/+1 counters for anything else, which severly limits the design space of the rest of the set. It's also a fairly shallow mechanic, in that there's not all that much you can do with it other than put it on creatures. It feels like it would do better as a minor mechanic that used +1/+1 counters instead of special counters, rather than being a major, named mechanic.

DoctorWhooves
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zergling
    Good, simple design.

Hydralisk
    Pyromancers are something that only show up in higher rarities, not common, mainly because they make the board state more complicated, which is something common cards are not supposed to do. This is also slightly stronger than similar cards, but not enough to be a real issue.

Baneling
    Similar to the Hydralisk, this card makes the board state more complex, especially attacking and blocking. Not as much as the Hydralisk, but it's still something to keep in mind.

Roach
    A nice, solid defensive creature, and fits well with black's recent trend of getting more defensive creatures.

Spawning Orders
    This is a very strange card. It's obviously a johnny card, being a sorcery that makes you want to build a deck that sacrifices a lot of creatures. However, it doesn't fit very well with the other cards in the list, and isn't a very good fit for a common card. It's power level is also far too low to really incentivize building around it. At best, you pay 4 mana for 3-4 0/1 dorks that then chump block something big. Too much work for too little payoff.

Larva Hatchery
    A decent card, able to produce chump blockers, but doesn't mesh well with the rest of the set. The obvious use would be to make tokens and then sac them for Spawn cards, but the whole point of Spawn is to save mana, and if you spend 3 mana to make the thing you're sacrificing, then in most cases you're spending more mana than you would have if you just cast the card normally.

Overall, I think you focused too much on top-down design and too little on normal design considerations. Spawn as a mechanic has potential, but needs work before it's really interesting or useful. Similarly, the cards that support it don't do a very good job of actually supporting it, and in the end do more harm that good. There's also a disparity on how the deck wants to play. Zergling is very aggressive, Roach is very defensive, and the other two fall somewhere in the middle.

tgva8889
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mariki's Apprentice
    A good basic representation of what the set is about, but I think you costed this higher than it needed to be. Since it's part of the core premise of the set, it's okay to push it's power level a bit, so this would have worked much better at 3U or even 2U.

Peel from Reality
    A well-selected reprint, being a good, fun and versatile card on it's own, but also fitting perfectly with the theme of the set.

AEther Calling
    Not sure what this card is supposed to be doing. A spell that just makes a creature would hint at something like Populate or Intangible Virtue that cares about tokens, or cards that care about spells being cast, neither of which this set has. Without that support, it would be better off simply being a creature rather than a spell.

Replace with Ethereal
    Basically a slightly powered up Geist Snatch. Makes for a fine card, but again it doesn't interact much with the rest of the set. Still, it does at least fit well with the same type of deck (slow, controlling, kills with small evasive creatures and value) as the rest of the cards.

Illusory Warrior
    Another functional card, and fits well with the theme of the deck. I like that it has a downside that turns into an upside when you have the right cards to support it.

AEther Remnants
    A perfect build-around card for limited, and may even be good enough for constructed, though not tournament-level of course.

Overall, I feel like you did well in creating a consistent theme and feel to the deck, even if a few cards didn't quite fit perfectly. That said, I feel like you were too reserved with your cards. It's good for commons to be simple, but that doesn't mean you can't do new and interesting things with them, too. The key is to find the balance between new and interesting and simple and understantable, and I don't think you hit it here,

After typing all that, I finally read your additonal comments (which I purposefully avoided; this contest is about the cards). After reading that, I understand a bit more about what you're going for, and the set sounds pretty interesting, but you didn't do a good enough job conveying any of that with the cards you had, which I think hurt you a lot.

Duck999
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charge the enemy
    Captain's Call at instant speed, for no additional CMC? This is a huge bomb in limited, and should absolutely be uncommon at least. At common, this would have a very warping effect on limited, since you basically always had to assume that your opponent had it (if they had 2WW available).

Joint force
    An interesting effect, and perfect for a common card. Perhaps a bit over-costed, but it's hard to tell with an effect like this, which hasn't really been done before.

Mutilation
    This is a cool card and all, but between the complexity, power, and effect on the game, it's a rare, no two shakes about it. Meaning, it may as well be no card for the purposes of this contest.

Militia leader
    This is a nice role-player, but it's strange for white to have such a large creature. Also feels too weak to be a "build around me" uncommon.

Mutant Commando
    Works fine as a card, but doesn't fit in with any of the rest of the set. All the other cards give soldiers, and the only mutant-maker makes those mutants for your opponent, so the only thing it can boost is itself.

(Note: A better wording of rush would be, "Whenever you declare attackers, you may pay X to put ~ onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Sacrifice it at end of turn." I'm not judging you on that though, since it mechanically still works the same)

Overall, I think you were a bit too all over the place to really make a consistent set. The two black cards had very little interaction with the four white cards, and don't even interact with each other. Pile on that the issues with the individual cards, and I just can't see this set doing anything that worthwhile.

Eurus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drone Creche
    With an effect this weak, you really didn't need to pile on two seperate drawbacks on the same land. Simply tapping for colorless would have been all the drawback you need. Discarding is similarly not really necessary, and makes the card basically useless in all but the most specialized decks.

Labor Crew
    Simple and functional, if a bit over-costed. Still, it's good to start with the most simple form of a feature, and this does well in introducing the mechanic.

Rogue Drone
    A nice lord to turn drones from blockers into threats, but lords are exclusively uncommon, which this isn't.

Remote Garrison
    Not sure how this fits with the rest of the set. It's a super-defensive creature, and it does it's job well, but it doesn't interact that much with the other cards, unless you really do plan to make drones just to chump-block. Worse, though, is that you need to remember that you gain life every time you block, which adds to board complexity, which is something commons should avoid if at all possible.

Reallocation
    This is a very nice black card, which is why I'm confused as to why it's white.

Dronesquad Captain
    I can see that you were trying to make this into a build-around, and it does that well enough, though it's a bit boring. It also adds a ton to board complexity, which may be more acceptable at uncommon than common, but should still be avoided if possible.

Overall, you did a good job of presenting and reinforcing the theme of the set. The individual cards fell a bit flat, though, and without the cards themselves being good it's hard to rate this very highly overall.

Strategos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brightsand Elder
    This is almost there, but I can't help but feel that it really wants to be a 2/1, rather than a 1/2, for both flavor and gameplay reasons. Still, that aside it's a nice functional introduction to the mechanic.

Darkdune Cabal
    Another nice functional introduction to the mechanic, though again a bit less powerful than it should be for something meant to be a major focus of a set.

Brightsand Redeemer
    This would have been perfect...if it was your uncommon. Lords are always uncommon or higher, so it just doesn't work out. Even then, it feels a bit boring and unoriginal.

Altar's Reap
    A nice and functional reprint, meshes well with the rest of the set.

Call of the Old Gods
    Two 1/1s for 2 CMC is already below the curve power-level wise, and adding a drawback doesn't make it any better.

Glazeburn
    A nice counter to the sand token deck, though a bit predictable. It also feels a bit odd to single out token creatures, which is something MtG has mostly avoided thus far.

Overall, I think you did OK on individual card design, but didn't use the space you had very well. A lot of your cards were redundant with each other, and Glazeburn didn't fit well with the set. It interacted in that it served to counter the "sand token" deck, but didn't actually help to show off the sand token deck itself any.

Dr.Gunsforhands
    Spoiler
    Show
    Beginner's Luck
    This is a strange card. It might work as a quirky uncommon to make Johnny's happy, but at common it's too strange. It also adds to board complexity, albeit not by all that much, but these things add up, and this isn't doing anything so exciting that it's worth making an exception.

Stampeding Mosstodon
    Another strange Johnny card. Which can be OK, but in this case it hurts the card. It ends up feeling disjointed and confusing and the mechanics don't really fit together very well to make a whole card.

Bramble Elemental, Fists of Ironwood, Echoing Courage, Sprout
    I'm not going to judge these individually, since they're all reprints, and they all do essentially the same thing.

Overall, I think you focused far too much on a specific interaction of cards, and tried to hard to build a combo rather than a set. It hurt the individual card design, and the set overall as well. You also used too many reprints; one or two is fine, if they're well-selected, but four is more than half of your set, which means there's much less for me to judge you on.

Ninjaman
    Spoiler
    Show
    Goblin Assemble
    Basically Captain's Call in goblin form, which is fine, if a bit boring.

Gorthang Battleleader
    An interesting way of getting a sort-of lord effect onto a common creature. It works out well, working basically as a 2/2, but also giving haste, letting you beat in faster and harder. Also great for getting smaller goblins past larger opponents. My only complaint is that it adds to board complexity by quite a bit, being a repeatable, on-board combat trick, which is not good. Would have been better if it could only be used as a sorcery, forcing you to use it before combat rather than during. That would also have kept it from being used defensively, which is a flavor mismatch.

Bloodbone Shaman
    Avacyn's Pilgrim, eh? Simple, but effective.

Goblin Tracker
    Another nice role-player, with some random chance thrown in for extra red flavor. However, it has a flaw similar to Gorthang Battleleader in that it increases board complexity by allowing you to create surprise blockers, even if not reliably.

Goblin Bushwhacker
    While this certainly fits in with the goblin theme of the set, it doesn't actually do anything unique that it hasn't already done. It's functional, but without any special interactions it falls flat as a reprint.

Goblin War Caller
    A powered-down Goblin Chieftan, which while fine, isn't very interesting.

Overall, I think you walked too much on paths already taken. We know what Goblins are and how they work, and your set doesn't do anything really new and interesting with them. Bloodbone Shaman is probably the best and most unique card in the set, but it doesn't have much of a role to play in the super-low curve goblin deck that the rest of the cards seem to cater to.

Istari
    Spoiler
    Show
    Payrn Alpha
    For the single uncommon card in the set, this falls flat. It's simple enough that it would be fine as a common (aside from the inherent issues of Pack, but more on that later). As an uncommon, it's bland and uninteresting.

Runt of the Litter
    Feels like it should be a 1/1 for 1, being a runt and all, but otherwise a fine, simple showcase of the Pack mechanic.

Payrn Aristocat
    Another simple and solid card. Does well in conveying the flavor that dogs are bigger than cats, but cats are the ones in charge. (at least sometimes)

Felix's Call
    Another functional reprint of Captains Call. Which is fine, since Captain's Call is a pretty solid common card.

Alley Meeting
    I like the flexibility this gives, though I can' t help but think you missed out on a sweet Cats//Dogs split card. :p

Smuggling Rats
    As an individual card it's fine, but this doesn't fit in with the rest of the set in any way whatsoever, other than the tenuous flavor connection of rats to cats.

Overall, I think you spent too much space on the basic building block cards, and not enough on the cards that use those building blocks to do interesting things. You also didn't do much with your keyword mechanic, Pack, which had it's own issues. First, it adds to board complexity, especially as you get a lot of them onto the field, especially when it comes time to block. Other than that, the fact that it works off of shared creature types means that you either need to keep every creature with it to a single creature type, or risk making complex scenarios where it boosts some creatures by one amount, and others by a different amount, which could get difficult to keep track of. Limiting it to a single creature type also limits it's already very limited design space, meaning it's a very shallow mechanic.

Finalists:

Spoiler
    Show
    HypoSoc
    onasuma
    tgva8889

These three I felt did the best job of creating a consistent theme in their decks, with individually strong cards that (for the most part) did well in reinforcing each other and the set as a whole.

Runner-Up:

Spoiler
    Show
    HypoSoc!

This was a very difficult choice, since the cards were individually well-put together, and the set had a strong identity. What finally tipped me off on this placement was the poor use of design space. Cycles are great, but having all of your cards be so similar to one another is not very good use of space in such a small pool of cards.

Winner:

Spoiler
    Show
    tgva8889!

While it's not perfect, this set did I think the best job of balancing all of the various considerations that come into play with this contest. The cards fit well together, are individually well-designed, and show off the mechanics of the set nicely.

Onasuma comes in a well-deserved third place. While this was a solid entry with a good set identity, what killed it was the combination of a slightly below par design on individual cards, along with the issues with the Swarm mechanic.

Whew!

Congratulations to the winner, and thank you everyone for participating. I enjoyed reading through all of the cards, and look forwards to the next contest.

Spoiler
    Show
    As a side note, I went all-out with the judging here, but I don't want people to think that this kind of judging is required. It's great if you have the 2+ hours required to do it, but normally it's fine to simply write a paragraph commenting on the set as a whole, rather than singling out each card. And of course, the same rule applies that it's better to simply declare a winner without any (written) judging rather than delay the contest for a long time, which is even more true here since judging can easily take many days if you don't have the time all at once.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2013-05-31 at 12:41 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

As I am unlikely to be able to judge a contest, my runner-up may decide the next topic.

29. - Top - End - #29

Thanks, I've always wanted to judge one of these.

The last contest was making a set fit a mechanic, so this one is about making a mechanic fit a set.

Contest: Design a miniset showcasing a new keyword or ability word mechanic that starts with the letters "de" (e.g. destabilize, destitution, demoralize, deify, etc.). Think the Return the Ravnica abilities for each guild.

Important notes:
    1) Remember the New World Order. This mechanic should be simple enough for common cards.
    2) Be creative. Try to make the card mechanically unique. That said, feel free to use one of the words I listed if you can't think of anything.
    3) Remember that not every card in your miniset has to use the mechanic, but they should interact.

Judging will occur in one week on June 7th.
    Last edited by HypoSoc; 2013-05-31 at 05:12 PM.
    Cadimus Concordia.
    United We Fall.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting contest. It really was a very close call, so a well deserved victory.

Also, here's a nice resource for words that start with de, to further help anyone that needs some inspiration.