New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Elsewhere In Time (CoC) [IC]

Mackinac Island, Michigan, a picturesque island community nestled on *an island on Lake Michigan. With its forested state park, and lovely town, it embodies what tourists love about it, a taste of the past, with an almost rustic charm. But it also has a darker side, with a few battles fought on its soil during the war of 1812.*

On the date of October 21st Giles Edgeworth was flown into Mackinac Island Airport, in reality only a strip of concrete, and a small building serving as shelter from the elements. The pilot that Gile had hired was a gruff man who served a bit rough around the edges. His name was Jonathan Carter. Hired by Giles to fly him to Mackinac he couldn't complain about the pilot.*

Giles had a house call to make on the island. A concerned mother wanted a psychologist to look after her son, Neil Smith, since he seemed to be having strange dreams, and was acting paranoid. The small plane had a rough landing, and the pilot, Jonathan, told Giles,"The town is a little over a mile away. I'll be back in 2 weeks to pick you up," and as Giles left the plane, it took off. A red headed woman walks up to Giles,"Mr. Edgeworth I presume?"
    "1427. It is not a race to 0 SAN."
    From Things Mr Welch is not Allowed to Do In an RPG
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Elsewhere In Time (CoC) [IC]

"Indeed I am, but who are you?"

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

"I am Mary Smith, I called you on the phone a few days ago," she looked over in the direction of a horse and carriage,"We do not have cars here, are you skilled at riding a bicycle?" It was a relatively cool day, with the leaves having a slight tinge of orange.

A man wearing a coat with its hood up walked past the airport, he made a furtive look at the departing plane, and made a turn into the State Park's many trails.
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

4. - Top - End - #4

Planetar

Enough to get from point A to B, but since we're so fortunate as to have another form of transportation arrive, why exert ourselves now when we've others to do it for us. Come, we'll take the carriage, consider it an addition of my own travailing expenses, I'll pay of course. Edgeworth said as he pointed to the carriage.
    Last edited by ocel; 2011-12-26 at 06:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

MindFlayer

Mary Smith smiles, "Thank you Mr. Edgeworth," she starts walking toward the carriage.
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

6. - Top - End - #6

Planetar

After paying for their cab fare, he waited for his employer to take her seat before taking his own. And, although He refrained from drawing attention to his client's plight til it was more appropriate.

7. - Top - End - #7

MindFlayer

Mary shifted slightly, "Well, I think I should tell you why you are here exactly. My son, Neil, has been acting strangely lately. He's been having trouble sleeping, and when he does manage it, he speaks in his sleep, and screams. I am really worried about him. He says he has been having bad dreams ever since he got a summer job as an assistant park ranger for the State Park. Do you have any experience with this kind of thing?"

A beeping sound is heard, and she pulls out her cell phone, obviously it was a text message,"Driver could you stop by the grocers on the way into town, I need to pick up a small item," the Driver nods, and gives out an affirmative grunt, she turns back to Giles,"You are welcome to stay in the house's guest room while you are on the island, hotels are very expensive here."
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

"Occasionally, but before I make too many assumptions, I wish to diagnosis the patient personally so I can verify them. But if I were forced to make an educated guess from our prior conversations, Neil experienced/witnessed a post traumatic stress/catalyst/event that occurred during his employment. In addition, whatever caused these symptoms, however buried though it may be, is still effecting his sleep-cycle,. Were there any incidents, or urban legends, related to this park? For it might provide a clue or two as to the cause of his trauma. Oh, sorry, I got carried away, ahem, yes if it is possible, I would appreciate it."
    Last edited by ocel; 2011-12-27 at 02:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

Mary brushes a few hairs out of her face,"Well, there is always the legends if the Indian tribes, some of them are fascinating. But more recently..." she seems a bit uneasy,"There was an amateur photographer who took pictures this summer for the Grand Hotel as an intern. He started to say that their was better photography in the woods, and spent more and more time there. About a year ago, nobody heard from him. Park rangers combed the woods for months, but they never could find him," the carriage was on the outskirts of town now, with a few sparse houses. The carriage passed a playground, and a medium sized tan building,"That is the school, which teaches the 80 children on the island." The carriage passes by a small neighborhood of Victorian homes, and goes past a building labeled Mackinac Island Public Library,"That is the library, I work there as a librarian." Up on a hill rests an imposing white structure, looking reminiscent of the White House,"That is the Grand Hotel, it is over a hundred years old," the carriage then gets into "downtown", a series of buildings, neighborhoods, fudge shops, and bike rentals right on the shore, with Ft. Mackinac overlooking it. The harbor is here, but ice has started to form sporadically on the lake. There are few private boats, bur those will probably be gone within the week. The carriage stops by a small grocery store, and Mary steps out,"Driver, I will be gone only 5 minutes, I need to pick up some food," with that, she motions to Giles to accompany her, and she walks into the store.
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

10. - Top - End - #10

Planetar

Edgeworth follows his employer, & browses at their wares for any travel logs, & other essentiles for navigating the island, later on.

11. - Top - End - #11

MindFlayer

Mart gets some bread, and a gallon of milk, along with a few batteries, and a flashlight. She pays for the items, and the cashier says,"Hey Mary, how has Neil been doin'?"

She responds to him, "Oh, he's been struggling through."

The cashier gives a solemn nod, and bags up the groceries. Mary looks over at Giles,"Do you need anything?"
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

12. - Top - End - #12

Planetar

"Hmm, a map of the island, & the neighboring sights, the more specific the better, a compass too."
    Last edited by ocel; 2011-12-27 at 08:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

Mary finds a map, and a compass,"It is a bit tourist-y, but I guess you don't want to get lost. It's a shame boats are not coming here anymore."

Shexpays for his items, and she walks out the door.
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

14. - Top - End - #14

Planetar

Returning to the carriage, he claims one of the maps & reviews it for the duration of their ride towards his employer's residence.

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

It is a two minute ride, and Mary departs the carriage,"Thank you Mr. Edgeworth," she grabs his luggage, and drags it into her house,"Neil! Mr. Edgeworth is here!" Neil exits the living room of the house,"Hello Mr. Edgeworth," he extends a hand to shake. Neil is slightly shaky, and had droopy eyelids.
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

16. - Top - End - #16

Planetar

No need to strain yourself for civilities, for we'll have plenty of time for that during our appointment, til then, relax & calm yourself, as I ready myself to assist in accelerating your recovery.

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

"Alright then," Neil goes back into the living room, and sits down to watch the television. Mary brings the groceries in,"Mr. Edgeworth, would you like some coffee, tea?"
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

18. - Top - End - #18

Planetar

Tea, green if possible, & perhaps one for him as well.
    Last edited by ocel; 2011-12-27 at 09:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

"Alright, I'll get that around for you," Mary walked into the kitchen, and started to boil the water. Neil turned off the television, and got up to talk to Giles. The house wasn't particulary big, it was a two story house, with a basement. Neil takes a quick glance over the psychiatrist,"Hmm, so you're the person Mom hired?"
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

I assumed you already inferred that much, but yes. Although I'll need your cooperation, you understand?

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

"Sure, I want to stop having these dreams." Neil shifts rather nervously. Mary walks in with the tea,"Here you go boys," she sets down a tray, and Neil sips at the drink.
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

22. - Top - End - #22

Planetar

As Neil replied, Edgeworth said in turn, "If you've the incentive then you've the will to accomplish what we shall." When his employer return with their tea, he thanked her, & requested her to leave the room so that they may begin, after they've finished their tea.Ah, now that we're done shall we discus the prelude of events leading to your sleeplessness or do you wish to begin at the catalyst?
    Last edited by ocel; 2011-12-27 at 10:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

MindFlayer

Mary smiled,"But of course," she walked into the other room to do some cleaning.

Neil propped his feet up,"Well, I guess it started a few years back. My dad died in a fire in the state park. It was never explained how it happened. I started having the occasional nightmare, it was one where I walked into the woods at night, and it felt like I was being followed. Nothing major, until I took a job in the park for the summer. I didn't have much trouble at first, except the dreams started to happen each and every week, and each time I would get deeper into the forest. I know this since I kept a camera so I could record myself right after I woke up. And then I had to take the night shift, and they started happening every other day, I couldn't sleep well. And then he appeared..."
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

24. - Top - End - #24

Planetar

Having little patience for his patient's cliff hanger, he tactfully urged him to continue,"Go on."
    Last edited by ocel; 2011-12-27 at 11:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

"Him...That is the only name that can be given... His arms...Were like outstretched branches...inviting yet repulsive at the same time. At first I thought...he was a new...thing..." Neil puts his face in his hands, clearly distressed,"But now...I think he's been there all along...watching...." He is clearly paranoid at this point, checking the windows, and doorways.
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

26. - Top - End - #26

Planetar

Hmm, this person, might be as literal as you say or some personification of something your repressing, in either case, I suggest not repeating this vivid vision, lest we encourage your Dendrophobiic induced paranoia.
    Last edited by ocel; 2011-12-28 at 12:02 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

MindFlayer

"Okay Doc. The 'vision' got worse, at first it was only in the woods, then it was on the coast. He was never close...," Neil starts breathing heavily," Always watching," he grips his knees,"Then in town... He's following me...always following...and then...he stopped...the dreams remained, but he stopped. I saw this vision three weeks ago, but the dreams...they keep coming..." he takes a gulp of tea.
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

28. - Top - End - #28

Planetar

As Edgeworth tightened his grip on his own porcelain cup, he made note to refrain from losing his calm without adding more pressure to what he was holding. His overhand covering his eyes as a migraine of displeasing connotations surfaced after Niel's exposition. Enough, I...I've heard enough...He, it, whatever it is you speak of, isn't the boogyman of childhoods long past, but a figment, a coincidence, a scrap-goat, a reincarnation of a Jack the Ripper mnemonic we create, to give meaning to where there is none for our misfortunes... It-, oh, ,what have I.. He said as the tips of his fingers felt the slightest scratch on his cup's surface. Not , willing to explain for this, he quickly switches his for Niels.
    Last edited by ocel; 2011-12-28 at 12:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

"Umm, Mr. Edgeworth, what does that mean?" Neil is shaking more visibly now, takes a bite out of a cracker that was on the tray.
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

30. - Top - End - #30

Planetar

Which of my rapid-fire assumptions are you referring to? Bah-, no matter, I grow tired of hearing variants of the same nightmare, one that has hunted the youths of this country for years, spreading like a disease to our minds throughout every media ever conceived. It is merely an urban legend, we've invented, whether to instruct some moral, or just sensational, I've yet to decide, for each variation is so individual, that it makes it too difficult to discern both its original purpose. From the classic changeling fairytale, to the next Blair-Witch project rip-off , so to has this legend became into the meme it is. I will not address its name, as your too upset at the moment.
    Last edited by ocel; 2011-12-28 at 12:37 PM.