1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cleanup Crew IC

Reyne: Roll Sense Motive for Elyna.
    Avatar by the awesome smuchsmuch.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

When I wrote sub-dual in my original rolling post, I meant non-lethal. She can just knock the guy out, right?
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Sirachoé

"Oh, Mika, ease up. Fisticuffs only for strangers, in the future. Dead people are not solutions, they are problems, and we want these people whole. Dead men tell no tales, and we want to know what the fight was about. So no elemental damage that could end someone's life."

Spoiler
    Show
    Everything aside from Mika's attack was explicitly nonlethal, sorry if that got lost in the rolls.

Mika's elemental damage can't be nonlethal, as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-06-22 at 07:34 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    When I wrote sub-dual in my original rolling post, I meant non-lethal. She can just knock the guy out, right?
    Yes, sorry I missed that. You hit him in the temple and knocked him out.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

((OOC: Almost forgot this is a non-lethal thing. Anywayz, I can still edit it to make it so that I don't have the shield on because I have not expand on the shield being in the battle, only the ten foot punch and panther prowls the night. But w/e seeing it already there, might as well rp it.))
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-06-22 at 07:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show

Huh, that's interesting
    Sense motive: (1d20+2)[20]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Terjon of Northwall

Barely having sat down for a bowl of breakfast, Terjon rises again upon noticing the brawl. Staying in place behind the table, he uncoils his rope and concentrates on the ensuing scene, standing ready to intercept and lock down any ... subjects... trying to attempt a daring, yet foolish escape.

[OOC]Trying to ready a "Grasp of the Slithering Eel" against any combatant trying to flee that is not part of our retinue[/OOC]
    The Great Purge has been conducted.
    arokhs-larp-workshop.blogspot.com

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Sirachoé

"Anyone feel like fighting back?"
    she asks with a smirk.

If we're done with the violence, we can sort the assailants into groups for questioning. Probably won't have time to double-check stories before leaving; Char seems like an open-minded place, but the authorities are likely to show up in any case, if only to fish for bribes.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-06-27 at 08:08 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

The cloaked figures and the mercenaries both surrender.

10. - Top - End - #130

AssassinGuy

((OOC: Finally, IamL, where the heck were you this past week?))
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-06-29 at 07:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    ((OOC: Finally, IamL, where the heck were you this past week?))
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was visiting my grandmother....she's lucky enough to have survived metastatic ovarian cancer and is in her late eighties. Anyway, back on track

For Reyne:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elyna can sense that fighting and brawling has been a way of life for her comrades.

For All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry that I was gone, but let's get going.
    The mercenaries are run-of-the-mill fighters, hired to protect the spices and herbs the merchants were carrying.
    Gleaning information from the cloaked figures requires some sort of check, intimidate, diplomacy, sense motive, or anything else you could find applicable.
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-06-30 at 06:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132

AssassinGuy

At the Air Genasi warning, her eyes widens before she applies her fury for murder, cancelling her damaging aura and only tapping them to submission.Let's spice things up! Mika grabs the cloak figure that was barely conscious, ramming him onto a wall of a construct.

What the hell are you trying to do here? Trying to kill people or something? Talk!

She pesters him, shaking him.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate - (1d20-2)[18](16)

((OOC: Btw, updated the tavern thread, waiting for your response. ))
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-06-29 at 11:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Elyna keeps staring at her companions and their... rather vicious ways, both a bit in shock/surprise and also trying to glean what she can of their skills from the spectacle. Well, this will be an...interesting task, she thinks.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Sirachoé

I'll try some head games, she thinks in amusement.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy- +4 luck = (1d20+4)[23]

"Mika, Mika, let the guy breathe a little," she says in a relaxed but forceful tone, walking up beside Mika, but not physically helping the guy at all. "Look, buddy, I don't want to be causing any more trouble for you and your friends. But Mika here, she can get pretty scary. Ever see someone strangle a grizzly bear? Believe me, not something we want her to demonstrate, if you know what I mean." She chuckles in an intentionally unsettling, slightly unstable way.

Sirachoé leans into the man as he's pressed against the wall, placing her face close to his, making sure her breasts make firm contact with his body. She changes her voice to be soft, slightly breathless, and intimate."What I'm trying to say is that you should help yourself out here and just tell us what you know. We don't have to be enemies, after all. I just wanted to stop the fight as quickly as possible. Now that it's over, there's no reason we can't all just get along fine, right?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Things are also moving ahead in the "To Dream a Dream" campaign, IamL. Anyone else is welcome to check it out, too. Still in the early days, but I think it's going pretty well, all things considered.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-06-30 at 01:49 PM.

Extended Sigbox

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Cleanup Crew IC

The man is rattled and hurt by the kick, scared of Mika's wrath, and comforted and persuaded by Sirachoé. A near-flawless good cop/bad cop routine, and it works perfectly. The man's resolve crumbles.
    "I work for a wizard by the name of Umuga. We were told to take down these caravans, loot them, drag them into the main road, set them on fire, then force the mercenaries and guards to help us blockade all caravans from passing, adding the ones whonattempt to to the fire. We would take the merchants hostage first, killing one or two of them, until we could get the towns to pay the sum Ummuga asked of them. He would then move on to another town, leaving some of his lackeys behind to keep sucking the money out of the two cities."
    He then collapses on the ground, conscious but dazed.
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-07-05 at 10:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Elyna starts slightly in surprise, before going forward to speak quietly with her new companions.

It's rather coincidental, almost suspiciously so that right after our task was given this happens. Perhaps a certain man is still pulling our strings from afar.

Be that as it may, it's worth seeing if we can get any information out from him about Umuga. How they were hired and given this task, and where hostages are kept are the two obvious questions.
    Last edited by Reyne; 2013-07-06 at 01:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Sirachoé

"Sound like sensible questions," she replies to Elyna.

She kneels down beside the dazed man. "Hey buddy, how you doing? My friends and I have a couple more questions before we leave you alone," she says kindly, uncorking her waterskin and offering him a drink.

"How did Umuga contact you for this job?"

"Do you know where his base of operations is?"

"You mentioned hostages. Where were you supposed to be holding these hostages? Had you captured any hostages already?"

Extended Sigbox

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

He takes the waterskin gratefully.
    "He sent a projection, maybe a Sending spell or something like that, to us, and told us to leave a note with our response on the roof of the tavern. He said he'd pay us one tenth of his income from the raids each if we carried it out for him. It seemed like a good deal to us. I have no idea where his base may be, but I do have one piece of the puzzle: the wall he spoke to us in front of was red and rough-hewn, but it was not brick. We were supposed to keep the hostages with us, unless we thought that they were very wealthy, in which case we'd use one of these scrolls." He gestures to scrolls in the small leather pouches each of the cloaked figures carries at their hips. "There are three of them."

Spoiler
    Show
    I will be gone for six days starting tomorrow; I'm going on a backpacking trip through the New England Appalachian Mountains. You should get all your planning done before I get back.
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-07-07 at 12:56 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Her interest piqued, Elyna politely asks to see the scrolls in question, and attempts to identify them.

Spoiler
    Show

She first spends a Detect Magic on attempting to discern if the scrolls contain any magical traps. Assuming not, she then reads the symbols on the scrollcase. Per the SRD, "Most scroll cases are inscribed with magic symbols which often identify the owner or the spells stored on the scrolls inside."

Also, three Spellcraft checks (DC 20+scroll level) to decipher the scroll test
    (1d20+20)[27]
    (1d20+20)[27]
    (1d20+20)[29]

She quietly informs the others of her conclusions, and adds an addendum: Careful about our new...friends here; they wouldn't be able to use the scrolls unless they were either magic-users or had studied the use of magic items to some degree.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

All three are scrolls of some sort of forced sending spell, like Teleport, but with unwilling targets, and not self-targeting. The spell is one you've never seen before, and would require a more complex grasp of arcane energy than you currently possess, but you can understand it vaguely, and could probably copy it into your spellbook for later. (You could copy it into your spellbook, but you can't cast the spell yet, since it's a level 5 conjuration.)
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-07-20 at 09:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show

I was under the impression that if the spell level is higher than you can cast, you could still try to activate the scrolls via a caster level check, risking a mishap if you fail? Also, is there any way I could try to figure out the destination location of the teleport?

Elyna quietly informs her companions of her conclusions: The spells inscribed on these three scrolls are of the fifth arcane circle; I myself am only capable of spells up to the third circle. It seems then that Klort Umaga is an individual considerably more powerful than myself, or any of us if he is capable of such magic. In addition, it seems curious indeed that these henchmen, who have not displayed any magical abilities, should be capable of reliably casting such a spell when I myself cannot."

22. - Top - End - #142

AssassinGuy

I hope he is competent as he is at yodelling. I cannot wait to fully meet him.

Mika crosses her arms, looking at Reyne and Sirachoe activities.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-07-20 at 10:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reyne View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I was under the impression that if the spell level is higher than you can cast, you could still try to activate the scrolls via a caster level check, risking a mishap if you fail? Also, is there any way I could try to figure out the destination location of the teleport?

Elyna quietly informs her companions of her conclusions:
    The spells inscribed on these three scrolls are of the fifth arcane circle; I myself am only capable of spells up to the third circle. It seems then that Klort Umaga is an individual considerably more powerful than myself, or any of us if he is capable of such magic. In addition, it seems curious indeed that these henchmen, who have not displayed any magical abilities, should be capable of reliably casting such a spell when I myself cannot."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, you may. I merely meant that you couldn't cast them through your spellbook yet. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough. You could attempt to figure out the location, but that would require a separate check.
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-07-21 at 07:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Sirachoé

"He also seems to be stepping up his operation if he's thinking he can operate even in a larger city, where I'm sure he will face more opposition and competiton. Could still be down to sheer overconfidence, but this matter with the higher level spells does seem troubling," she says, pondering the possibilties. "Perhaps there is some yet more powerful figure behind Umuga providing him with support and resources," she muses.

"In any case, we might as well move to the town where most of his operations have been taking place. Aside from his usual stomping grounds, we have little to go on in terms of his location aside from the red stone background from when he contacted these poor sods."

The genasi monk turns toward the man slumped against the wall. She puts smiles broadly, but her eyes glint dangerously. Placing her face in his hair, she inhales deeply. "I treat my friends well, you'll find," she says, drawing back a bit. Then her tone darkens, and she stares him straight in the eyes, her face inches from his. "But anyone that thinks they can get away with mugging merchants and generally causing trouble, whether on behalf of a wizard or not, will find me less than charitable." She punctuates her last sentence by cracking the paving stone beside the man, her fist chipping into the rock.

"Is there anything we have yet to do in Char before we depart?" Sirachoé asks, turning toward her companions.

Extended Sigbox

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

You don't remember anything left to do in Char, so you set off on the main road.
    Everybody make Spot and Listen checks.

26. - Top - End - #146

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Listen - (1d20+2)[1](3)
    Spot - (1d20+2)[5](7)

EDIT: Guh..Mika's senses dulled from that spamming just now.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-07-28 at 09:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Sirachoé
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot= (1d20+8)[22]
    Listen= (1d20+8)[17]

Extended Sigbox

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

As she walks, Elyna's thoughts are consumed by worry. It's clear that this Klort is a far more powerful wizard than her, by a considerable margin. To command spells of the fifth valence means that he is by far more experienced, more learned, more skilled, more powerful. Her magic was self-taught and haphazard; she'd been practiced in survival and running for her life... not this quest of taking down a wizard senior to her by far in arcane might.

The rest of the group seemed confident, skillful, competent, but blind to the possibility of complete and utter failure; most of the others were even content to leave her (her, of all people!) and the air genasi lady Sirachoe with the planning, unconcerned with the quality of such. As if they were but characters in a tale, a plucky band of heroines and heroes whose success seemed assured by narrative fiat and the will of the storyteller. They trusted her to play her part in stymieing the power of this mage, but what could her simple talents do against one so much more powerful than her?

A vision suddenly enters her head - the party entering the lair of this Klort Umaga, and attacking him. They perform well until the Umaga casts a spell; she attempts to counter it, but his skill and power is such that she cannot hope to stop him. And then the group is disabled, unconscious or paralyzed, captured, left to a fate of torture, starvation, deprivation, and eventually an all-too-merciful death. Failure.... because of her.

Distracted by such lovely thoughts, it's no surprise that she wasn't spending much effort on looking at the countryside as she walked.

Spoiler
    Show

Elyna's thoughts reflect her cynical pessimistic nature and the life she's lived. Also, assuming Klort is a level 9 wizard (lowest needed to cast a level 5 spell). she only has a 35% chance of countering his spells... which is not very good for the party's success.

Spot: (1d20+3)[8]
    Listen: (1d20+3)[17]
    Last edited by Reyne; 2013-07-30 at 02:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

For IamL:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, just saw that you said I could try to figure out the teleport scroll destination by another spellcraft check?

Spellcraft: (1d20+20)[25]

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

for Reyne:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can discern that the spell will teleport the target to a building, roughly 20 miles to the north-east of Char.

You're almost through the forest path to the town when you are attacked by some of Umuga's summons on patrol. Sirachoé is able to hear and then see the attackers, and can attack during the surprise round.

Roll for initiative.