Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default [IC] Feiticeiro's Ergodic Dungeon (Always Open!)

Spoiler
    Show
    Want to delve into the dungeon? If you're up for the ergodicity, you can always join by creating a character in this thread!

A sign greets you in an unusually cordial manner for a deadly dungeon: "Welcome to the Ergodic Dungeon! So nice of you to stop by. Once you step over this threshold, you'll need to find another way out. I'd let you know what's in store for you, but it will be different every time! Think you've learned your way around? Nope; every time someone enters the dungeon, it changes, even if there are others still inside! You'll need a lot of luck and wits if you don't turn back now. But if you enter, I will greatly appreciate the entertainment.

Graxa Feiticeiro"

You had already made up your minds before arriving, though. The riches of the dungeon will be yours! If you don't die, that is...

The adventurers step across the threshold, one at a time, and the dungeon delve begins once again.

DAY 1 - 00:00

Bertram
    Spoiler
    Show
    A stone wall slides down behind you, blocking the entrance you just used. You hear a loud and hollow sound, "PLUGH," and the ground rumbles slightly. You realize that even if the entrance weren't shut, it would not lead outside any longer.

You have to light a torch to look around at the empty stone room. You entered from the south, where now there is only a stone wall. To the west is a wood door with a strong iron handle. To the east is a hallway that leads into darkness. To the north is a stone wall with blocky etchings. What do you do?

Wanderer and Tomato
    Spoiler
    Show
    A stone wall slides down behind you, blocking the entrance you just used. You hear a loud and hollow sound, "PLUGH," and the ground rumbles slightly. You realize that even if the entrance weren't shut, it would not lead outside any longer.

You have to light a torch to look around at the empty stone room. A few rats scurry away to the west when the torch is lit. You entered from the south, where now there is only a stone wall. To the west is an archway that leads into a dark room. To the east is a hallway that also leads into darkness. To the north is a plain stone wall. What do you do?

Aarik and Cian
    Spoiler
    Show

You have to light a torch to look around at the empty stone room. You entered from the east, where now there is only a stone wall. To the south is a hallway that leads into darkness. To the north is a plain stone wall. To the west is a rusty iron door without a handle. What do you do?

Fredirick, Hrothgar, and Pyrom
    Spoiler
    Show

A torch in a sconce on the southern wall reveals an empty room. You entered from the south, where now there is only a stone wall. To the west is an iron door without a handle. To the east is a wood door with a strong iron handle. To the north is an archway leading into a dark room. What do you do?

Xerox
    Spoiler
    Show

Glowing moss on the western wall reveals an empty room. You entered from the south, where now there is only a stone wall. To the west is another stone wall covered in purple moss that is glowing dimly. To the east is a strong wood door with a rusty iron handle. To the north is a hallway that leads into darkness. What do you do?
    Last edited by Camelot; 2013-05-27 at 08:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Feiticeiro's Ergodic Dungeon (Always Open!)

Hrothgar
    I ask the others to search the room whilst I work on attempting to open the iron door, by force if necessary.
    Avatar by the awesome smuchsmuch.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Hmm, rats," the Wanderer muttered, pacing across the small room while avoiding running into his centaur compatriot. "Means there's food around here, so if we need it, we can follow the rats to find it... or just eat them, if push really comes to shove... in the meantime, best light a torch. Always good to see where we're going." The Wanderer takes out one of his sticks and lights it, bringing a glow to the room. "Mind taking point, Tomato? You're the big, strong one, after all."
    I run the Five Gems campaign, where ponies, griffons, and changlings search for five mystical gems to unlock the vault to the mighty Crown of the Griffon King.
    IC thread

OOC thread

If you like DC, Marvel, and Worm, check out Invincible, wherein Emma Barnes triggers with the Kryptonian package.
    If you enjoy Self-Inserts, Worm, and/or Mistborn, check out Preservation.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

"With pleasure!" Tomato happily clomps his forehooves on the ground and eagerly pulls out his bow. "Ah, the thrill of adventure! What tales shall this strange place hold for us? I've never seen such a place!" Looking around him the centaur considers his companion's words and his own take on the situation. "Two dark rooms, mystery in each one! I can't say I've ever heard of taking directions from rats, and I'm not sure how tasty they'd be, but I suppose that one way is as good as any other now!" Nocking an arrow, he slowly trots toward the west. "Keep that torch close, alright?"
    There are no impossible encounters. There is only inadequate preparation.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Fredirick stares blankly at the wall that used to be the entrance to the dungeon before slowly coming to a conclusion. "I think we may be trapped, ah well onwards!"
    He pulls the torch from the sconce and looks around the room focusing especially on the ceiling.
    He points up, "There used to be sky there, the nice blue sky. It was so pretty. I want to see it again!

6. - Top - End - #6

Chimera

Default Re: [IC] Feiticeiro's Ergodic Dungeon (Always Open!)

Hrothgar and Fredirick
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't forget that when you declare an action, you have to declare the ability score that you are using. For example, are you using Strength to break down the door, or picking the lock with Dexterity? Are you using Perception to examine the ceiling, or Wisdom to notice something obvious that shouldn't be there?

Wanderer and Tomato
    Spoiler
    Show
    You will travel to the west at the end of the turn. That is the only major action you can take this turn.
    Last edited by Camelot; 2013-05-27 at 08:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrothgar
    Well, seeing as nobody in my group has a lockpick, I'm going to have to wreck it with sheer Strength...or maybe..
    "If I can't wreck this with sheer strength, we could melt it with our torches. It is metal, after all.
    Last edited by IamL; 2013-05-27 at 11:36 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aarik looks over his pack, pulls out his flint and steel and lights a torch."Well! Isn't this neat, the entrance has been barred and our map doesn't work. What should we do, little Pig?"
    The dwarf "Percepts" the door and the surrounding wall seeing if the hinges are on our side of the door.

Maybe this door has secrets that we can uncover.

9. - Top - End - #9

Cian grunts at his companion's nickname, but smirks. "Well... Not worry about wolves coming to blow the house down, I guess?" Joking couldn't hurt. Well, unless it encouraged him.

He follows Aarik to the door and helps with the inspection of the door, wall and (action permitting, or if Aarik's already found something) the edge of the southern hallway. "Actually, reminds me of that time the way in collapsed behind us. I guess this trip won't be too different, huh?" Cian gives a reminder of one way it will be, absently leaning in low to snuffle for things of note.

He nods to Aarik, "If nothing else, it's always fun to see the other side."

(Cian uses Perception, and some tools from his treasure hunter's set)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Xerox

Hmm... the wizard thought to himself. He then set his backpack down briefly and began rummaging through its minimal contents, pulling out a torch before replacing the leather sack upon his shoulders. He then moved over to the glowing moss and tried to remove a good-sized bundle of it and roll it up around the outside of the end of his torch.

"No use in wasting such a fine torch when they've already been kind enough to supply me with light. A grand idea, really... one that I don't mind borrowing."

Spoiler
    Show

No idea if this will work, or if it counts as a full out "action" or not, but there it is.
    I suppose Dexterity (12) to try and remove the strip of moss in a 'carpet's that I can wrap around the torch?
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2013-05-29 at 09:44 PM.
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

11. - Top - End - #11

Chimera

Aarik and Cian
    Spoiler
    Show
    A thorough search of one area of a room uses an entire major action, so to split the work, Aarik will examine the door and Cian will examine the wall for now. On the next turn, one or both of you can examine the hallway.

Xerox
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is entirely a valid action, and not a major one so you can still continue to act this turn. However, the moss only emits dim light, not the bright light a lit torch would shed. This doesn't make a difference at the moment, though it is certainly something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by Camelot; 2013-05-27 at 01:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IamL View Post

Hrothgar
    Well, seeing as nobody in my group has a lockpick, I'm going to have to wreck it with sheer Strength...or maybe..
    "If I can't wreck this with sheer strength, we could melt it with our torches. It is metal, after all.
    ...wouldn't it be easier for me to pick the lock with my tools? Well if you’re doing that I will just search through this room until I find something interesting. Think the dungeon is actually a giant monster that ate us? It would be so cool to be inside a monster! My uncle Trapspringer was in a monster once. He said it was nice and cozy in there. Pyrom said as he jumped everywhere. He could barely contain his excitement as he craned his head to find everything. He couldn't wait to find new things in the dungeon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Action: Search the room. Going for perception (pretty obvious why but it was chosen because being able to notice things is important for searching)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    ...wouldn't it be easier for me to pick the lock with my tools? Well if you’re doing that I will just search through this room until I find something interesting. Think the dungeon is actually a giant monster that ate us? It would be so cool to be inside a monster! My uncle Trapspringer was in a monster once. He said it was nice and cozy in there. Pyrom said as he jumped everywhere. He could barely contain his excitement as he craned his head to find everything. He couldn't wait to find new things in the dungeon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Action: Search the room. Going for perception (pretty obvious why but it was chosen because being able to notice things is important for searching)

Hrothgar
    "It would be easier, but this way we can salvage some iron."

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

Day 1 - 00:01

Wanderer and Tomato
    Spoiler
    Show
    You walk through the stone archway into another room of the same size. The floor is covered in vines and rat feces, and more rats scurry away from your light. To the south is a stone wall covered in vines; the higher vines have what appears to be bread hanging from them, while the lower ones seem to have been eaten by the rats. To the west is an iron portcullis with an iron crank, beyond which you can see only darkness. To the north is a rusty iron door with an iron handle. What do you do?

Aarik and Cian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aarik examines the rusty iron door. He does not find any traps, but he also does not see a way to open the door. He could try pushing as a minor action, but if he missed a trap it would be triggered.

Cian likewise does not find anything interesting about the stone wall to the north. This leaves only the hallway to the south unexamined. What do you do?

Spoiler
    Show
    Fredirick does not find anything of note on the ceiling or anywhere else within the room.

Hrothgar throws his full weight into the iron door and it bursts open. Dim orange light from a dying torch in a sconce on the far-southern wall shows a long but empty rectangular room. To the west is a door made of rotten wood with a strong stone handle. To the north and directly to Hrothgar's right is a tall mirror on the wall.

Pyrom searches the archway to the north and notices that there is a pressure plate in the doorway, probably to trigger a trap.

Suddenly, Fredirick, Hrothgar, and Pyrom all hear a voice from the dark room to the north. "Hello? Is somebody there? Oh, how lovely! Please, feel free to come in." It is a female voice, sounding strangely calm for being in a completely dark room. Pyrom also notices the sound of meowing coming from the same direction.

Xerox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xerox makes an impromptu light rod out of the moss and the torch, though it only emits dim light.
    Last edited by Camelot; 2013-05-27 at 11:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

"Bread?" questioned the Wanderer. "How'd it get up on those vines in the first place? Hmm." Taking out his sonic probe, the Timelord started scanning for abnormalities around the vines (Perception). "Might be a trap, so don't touch it, Tomato."
    Last edited by Crimson Doom; 2013-05-27 at 11:59 PM.
    I run the Five Gems campaign, where ponies, griffons, and changlings search for five mystical gems to unlock the vault to the mighty Crown of the Griffon King.
    IC thread

OOC thread

If you like DC, Marvel, and Worm, check out Invincible, wherein Emma Barnes triggers with the Kryptonian package.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh there is a lady in there, of course we have to rescue her! How scary it must be for her to be trapped in this horrid place for so long. There is no two ways about it; we must be a noble knights and rescue the fair woman! Follow me, my comrades!"

And with that Fredirick starts to wander in the direction of the voice whilst shouting to the lady, "Never fear we shall rescue you my fair lady! Just hold on a sec and we will make everything tickety boo!

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma to calm and charm the woman in the north
    Last edited by Dancing Shadows; 2013-05-28 at 03:49 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, old friend. The door seems likely to open inwards, but I feel an open path may be better than a closed door. What say you. Should we huff and puff, or go down the path of least resistance?

With that Aarik points inwards, pointing both directions "North" or "South".

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

"Okie-dokie, Wanderer!" Tomato watched as his companion waved the strange shiney device at the vines. It was certainly a good bit of fortune, he thought, that they should find extra food this early on. He wasn't sure whether it was normal for bread to grow on vines, but even if it was trapped, he could probably shoot a few loaves down with arrows. Besides, the vines did make the room look much more natural, and they felt soft under his hooves.

The Wanderer had not been scanning long before Tomato, as was often the case, got distracted. The porticullus (although he could not remember the word himself) had an air of mystery about it. Grabbing hold of the crank, and putting to full use the extra leverage four legs gives one, gave it a pull, trying to lift up the iron grating. (STRENGTH)
    Last edited by Komodo; 2013-05-28 at 09:08 AM.
    There are no impossible encounters. There is only inadequate preparation.

19. - Top - End - #19

Cian grunts again. "Well, when you put it to me that way..." He gestures southward. "The easy way sounds good to me. Unless you wanna wind up that hammer and do some property damage like you used to." He also gives a small smile and a shake of his head. "And you're really getting a kick outta me, huh?" There was a smidge of something like gratitude, there; their acquaintance had a lot of mutual teasing in the past, and he was glad that hadn't changed. Even if Cian now had the much bigger bullseye.

Unless Aarik changes his mind and decides to go smashy-smashy on the door (in which the swinish one proceeds through it after him), Cian takes point into the darkness. He stays mindful as he goes, trusting in his old experience and new senses to catch anything of note.
    (Perception, either way)
    Last edited by Gaius; 2013-05-28 at 10:19 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Xerox

Most pleased with himself, he then moves to the door and listens carefully, seeing if he can detect any noise through it. And while he was at it, he tested the rusty door handle, to see if it was locked.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception (15)
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2013-05-30 at 11:58 PM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Dwarf looks into Cyan's eyes, a little disgruntled, "Remember when I was shaved and almost boiled by that hag! You and the others called me the pig. It took years to grow this out again." Pulls on his beard. "Sure, Lets head down the corridor."

Cyan and Aarik start down the path of least resistance. Aarik wary of trapped floor boards. (Perception)
    Last edited by Polmac; 2013-05-28 at 10:56 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Cian blinks and tilts his head slightly. Then the image comes back to him. He snorts a bit before bursting into a laugh. "Oh right! Forgot all about that!" He takes a breath and gets back to something like composure. Outside a little more chuckling.

"Well, y'know, we were just relieved you'd survived. I had to break the ice after that, and I guess it caught on, what with your nose." The pig-man gives a sheepish smile, a shrug, and a tap to the side of his snout. "So, yeah, you earned your karma."

As they start into the darkness, Cian gives another smirk. He knows it's a stupid remark, but he just can't resist making it: "And glad you got all the hairs back on your chinny-chin-chin."
    Last edited by Gaius; 2013-05-28 at 12:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

How weird, how did that lady get in here? I wonder what this pressure plate does? This must be a practical joke this lady to help prepare us for when we get into real trouble. She seems so nice, I will show her I am prepared and will bypass her joke. Pyrom said as he beamed down at the trap. He took out his thieves’ tools to start playing around with the mechanism

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to disarm the pressure plate without triggering whatever it is attached to. Using dexterity because of the fine movements you need to use to disarm things.

24. - Top - End - #24

Chimera

Day 1 - 00:02

Wanderer and Tomato
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Wanderer determines after examination of the bread-like plant that it is safe to eat, 100% organic, and that there is enough in the room (that hasn't been eaten by the rats) to last one person a whole day. While examining the vines, he also notices a depression in the wall. There appears to be a secret door on the southern wall.

Meanwhile, Tomato cranks the portcullis open without a problem. The room beyond seems large, but Tomato cannot make out any details as the Wanderer is the one with the torch.

Aarik and Cian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aarik and Cian walk down the hallway, which soon turns off to the right. They notice nothing suspicious, and since there is only one path ahead, they continue.

Spoiler
    Show
    The woman laughs at Fredirick's words and says, "No need to rescue me, I'm perfectly safe at the moment. Is there a trap there? It's so hard to keep track of these things..."

Pyrom manages to disarm the trap. Fredirick shines his torch into the room to the north to find an old lady surrounded by mewing kittens. The felines are not like regular house cats; they are so small that they could fit in Pyrom's hand, but their tails are long and curled. They look very soft, and several are sitting on the woman's lap or shoulders. She wears a large golden necklace with a ruby set in the center.

To the west in this room is a wooden door without a handle. To the east is a dark hallway. To the north is a stone wall with a lever in an upright position. The woman smiles when Pyrom is confident that he's disarmed the trap. "Lovely! You can come in, I won't bite."

Xerox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xerox can detect no sounds from the other side of the door. When he tries the handle, it turns, but the door does not open. It appears to be stuck.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Hmm," mused the Wanderer. "Seems safe enough, though I do have to wonder why it was there in the first place. Tomato, mind helping me collect the bread? We'll split it evenly. Hopefully it doesn't taste too terrible." Noting a depression in the wall, he leans in closer to take a look at it.

"Oh hey, would you look at that. A secret door. Wonder where that leads, eh?" The Wanderer aims his sonic probe and attempts to open said secret door. (Dexterity)
    Last edited by Crimson Doom; 2013-05-28 at 11:37 PM.
    IC thread

OOC thread

26. - Top - End - #26

Xerox

"Ahh, yes... I do remember having read that many times in these types of places, age and decay have taken their hold. Perhaps it is simply the swelling of damp and rotted wood or the rust of the iron implements of this door that refuse its opening."

With that, Xerox stretched a little, then mustered up all his might, took a deep breath, pulled back his shoulders, and pushed his weight into the door, directly above the handle.

Spoiler
    Show

Strength (5)
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2013-05-29 at 08:02 PM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrothgar
    "Maybe you don't bite, but I still don't trust you. Who are you?"
    Intelligence to figure out discrepancies in her next statement.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, dear friend, it looks like we'll be heading down this path for a little while longer. We might as well catch up. Where did you go after we took on that molehill? I can see that wasn't part of any delve I went on with you, what the ears and the snout. Aarik looks around the tunnel for any such hidden door or alcove. [Perception]
    Last edited by Polmac; 2013-05-29 at 01:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Frediric stops a second, confused that she doesn't need rescuing. He spends a few moments thinking before he decides to speak."What are you doing here if you do not need rescuing? Do you live here; is this your home? Did you make this place? Are you the wizard that I am looking for? Wizard... The wizard! I thought he was a man but a guess something was lost in translation. Well I am here to make you smile! Ummm.... What do you like?"
    Fredirick attempts to befriend this strange lady using his extradoniary charisma.

At Hrothgar's words Fredirick is suprised, "But my friend, why isn't she to be trusted? She looks trust worthy enough. I trust her! She seems nice, she even warned us about the trap that was there, she didn't have to."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Relax, Hrothgar, this kind lady has been nothing but nice to us. She even told us about the trap...admittedly I missed it but she must have. Also look at those kittys, they are so cute and look harmless but I bet they are actually flying tigers that explode of contact. Wouldn't that be so cool and exciting? I bet she even has magical powers and can make us into invincible, invisible monkeys that dance. Pyrom said grinning. His eyes were automatically drawn to the lever but it would be mean to run by the lady without even giving her a hug of gratitude. He took a couple of steps back and jumped over the plate just in case if something happened. If nothing stops him he will run over and hug the lady.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using strength to jump over the pressure plate(assumedly a minor action)/ Using dexterity to klepto the necklace