You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 167 Sometimes.

As an example, a Mummy has a purely visceral fear effect.
    Despair is not an attack and not a mind-affecting effect; it happens whether the viewer has a mind (INT of at least 1) or not.
    How does that interact with the general fear ruling?

Spells, magic items, and certain monsters can affect characters with fear. If a fear effect allows a saving throw, it is a Will save (DC 10 + ½ fearsome creature’s racial HD + creature’s Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). All fear attacks are mind-affecting fear effects. A failed roll usually means that the character is shaken, frightened, or panicked.
    Are you saying that a fighter under the benefit of mindblank would still be affected?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Are you saying that a fighter under the benefit of mindblank would still be affected?
    That's what he's saying, yes, because he interprets Despair to not be an attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Urrel View Post
    Q 172

If you're surprised (that is, unaware of new enemies or threats), you're flat-footed universally, that is, with respect to every possible attack. Once you've acted in combat, you're not flat-footed anymore. But is non-flat-footedness universal, just as flat-footedness is? Or may you in some situations be partially flat-footed, that is, non-flat-footed with regard to known dangers, but still flat-footed with regard to unexpected ones?

For example, suppose you're battling some orcs when a new combatant, let's say an ogre, enters the battle, and suppose this ogre either acts before everybody else (because the ogre is aware of the battle before joining it) or acts on an initiative rank higher than yours (because the ogre stumbled upon you all on her way home, but made a better initiative check than yours). Are you flat-footed with respect to this ogre until your next turn begins? Or has your non-flat-footedness become universal, because you're in combat now and you've already acted before?

As another example, suppose you're battling some orcs and you accidentally trigger an arrow trap aimed at your head. You weren't expecting this, so are you flat-footed with respect to the attack roll that this trap makes? Or does your non-flat-footedness with respect to the orcs apply to the attack trap too?
    I'm reposting this just to make doubly sure of what I am already starting to suspect, which is that in the general opinion of the Playground, there is no answer to this question in the RAW. Don't hesitate to tell me if you believe this isn't an RAW question at all and belongs in another thread. Actually, that would suit me just fine, because I have my own opinion about what the answer to my question ought to be.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 172

I know of one exception to the universal state of being flat-footed: a Scout of at least 2nd level.
    Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a scout cannot be caught flat-footed and reacts to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so.
    This is superior to the version of Uncanny Dodge granted to Rogues and Barbarians.

The general definition of flat-footed supports the view that, once characters have acted in initiative order and the game is still being conducted on combat timing, a trap will not catch characters flat-footed.
    flat-footed

Especially vulnerable to attacks at the beginning of a battle. Characters are flat-footed until their first turns in the initiative cycle. A flat-footed creature loses its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) and cannot make attacks of opportunity.
    Edit: Note that, if traps always catch characters flat-footed, the trap sense class ability of Rogues and Barbarians can provide no benefit. However, if a trap encountered while in combat does not catch them flat-footed, their trap sense bonus will then work as described.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-06-16 at 12:30 AM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 183

Are there any guidelines, what a character can know about a particularly deity without ranks in Knowledge Religion? I.e. what information is DC 10? Associated symbol? Sobriquets/titles? General doctrine?

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q184

If I were to craft an item that was Use-Activated that caused a spell effect. It says in the text that Use Activated items are a Standard Action, or no action at all to activate.

Does this remain true for every spell, including those that have full-round, 1 round, hours, or days casting times?
    Avatar(that seems to have disappeared) by Darwin

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 185

Can Chain Spell be applied to magic missile? It is mentioned that it only works on things that target one creature but each magic missile targets one creature. So does it count?
    Last edited by Hamste; 2013-06-16 at 09:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Q 186 Do weapons in 3.5 have size? I can remember them having size in 3.0 but I'm not sure about 3.5.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

9. - Top - End - #369
    Barbarian in the Playground

A 186
    Size was removed in 3.5 other than the weapon being sized for a certain creature size (such as small, medium, large, huge, etc.). Now they are Light, One-handed, 2-Handed, and ranged.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

A 172 Addendum

Mark of the Stars, a [dragonmark] feat from Dragonmarked, also renders the character immune to surprise and flat footed-ness.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 187 Repost and rewording as a numbered question

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Where does it say in [the rules for] Rapidstrike/Improved Rapidstrike or natural weapons in general that the extra attacks [are iterative attacks and thus] follow the same rules as extra attacks from high BAB? As far as I can tell the feat requires BAB 15 [as a prerequisite] but does not say that the amount of extra attacks is based on BAB. As I see RAW everyone who gets the feat can have four extra attacks. Or am I missing something?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-06-16 at 02:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372

RangerGuy

Q188
    Is WBL based on ECL or Character Level?
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

A 188

ECL.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Use ECL instead of character level to determine how many experience points a monster character needs to reach its next level. Also use ECL to determine starting wealth for a monster character.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 184 Ask your DM.

All custom magic items are subject to individual DM approval. As such, there is no general answer; what works for one DM will be unacceptable for another.

A 185 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain Spell
    Benefit: Any spell that specifies a single target and has a range greater than touch can be chained so as to affect that primary target normally, then arc to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level (maximum 20).
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Missile
    Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
    Magic Missile does not specify a single target, so it cannot be used with Chain Spell. The fact that you could use the spell on a single target does not change the specification.

15. - Top - End - #375

OldWizardGuy

Q189 With the warlock's summon swarm ability which is as the spell but with a duration concentration. Can I cast it on my turn, then on the next turn let the swarm move and deal damage, then dismiss the spell and use my eldritch blast as a standard action?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 189 No.
    You can use summon swarm as the spell with this invocation. Unlike the spell, this invocation has a duration of concentration instead of concentration + 2 rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summon Swarm
    The caster has no control over its target or direction of travel.
    Here are the relevant rules about spell durations:
    Concentration

The spell lasts as long as you concentrate on it. Concentrating to maintain a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Anything that could break your concentration when casting a spell can also break your concentration while you’re maintaining one, causing the spell to end.

You can’t cast a spell while concentrating on another one. Sometimes a spell lasts for a short time after you cease concentrating.
    (D) Dismissible

If the Duration line ends with "(D)," you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell’s effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell’s verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

A spell that depends on concentration is dismissible by its very nature, and dismissing it does not take an action, since all you have to do to end the spell is to stop concentrating on your turn.
    If you want the invocation to continue (i.e., for the swarm to move and deal damage), you must use a standard action on every turn after you invoke it. Ceasing to concentrate takes no action, but it also immediately ends the effect. You cannot have the effect of the invocation on your turn (which necessarily requires concentration) and use your standard action for something else (which necessarily beaks your concentration).

17. - Top - End - #377
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q190
    I read somewhere about a spell that was 'effectively' resurrection for constructs. Searching has brought me no joy. You folks know what it could've been? I want to say it was associated with Eberron but I'm not sure if that's memory or not.

Thanks regardless.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Halfling in the Playground

Q191

Could one take a prestige class the same level i chose some of its requirements?

In which level would i, as an example, be able to enter the lore master prestige class, as a Human wizard. (only considering the core books, no fancy stuff)
    Also no feats used.

Thanks! :)
    Last edited by XnOs; 2013-06-17 at 03:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Banned

Devil

A191
    No. Upon gaining a new level, you must choose a class before choosing Base Attack Bonus, Saves, Ability Scores, Hit Points, Skill Points, Feats, Spells or Class Features, in that order (so a Feat requiring a particular Class Feature must be taken after gaining the particular level).

If a Prestige Class requires a particular feat, then you must have chosen the feat prior to taking the first level in that class.

Source; Page 58, PHB.

Q192
    Just to confirm, if a skill check has a listed DC, "succeeding" requires that I equal or beat the check? I.e a DC30 skill check requires the result of the 1d20+Skill Modifier is 30 or larger?
    Last edited by Vaz; 2013-06-17 at 03:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

A 192: Yes.

The Core MechanicWhenever you attempt an action that has some chance of failure, you roll a twenty-sided die (d20). To determine if your character succeeds at a task you do this:

Roll a d20.
    Add any relevant modifiers.
    Compare the result to a target number.
    If the result equals or exceeds the target number, your character succeeds.
    If the result is lower than the target number, you fail.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Orc in the Playground

disregard this
    Last edited by Quintessence; 2013-06-17 at 04:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #382

RangerGuy

A192
    you have to meet or exceed the DC.
    Some checks are made against a Difficulty Class (DC). The DC is a number (set using the skill rules as a guideline) that you must score as a result on your skill check in order to succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    For example, climbing the outer wall of a ruined tower may have a DC of 15. For your character to climb the wall, you must get a result of 15 or better on a climb check.
    Q193
    Are there any humanoids with 5 or less HD that can burrow or fly (with wings) as a physical quality?
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

A 193 partial

Technically an Outsider (native), not a Humanoid, but a third-level Aasimar/Tiefling with the feats Celestial/Fiendish Bloodline and Outsider Wings would fit the bill otherwise.

Similarly, a half-dragon half-minotaur human could get wings and be under 5 HD, but would be a Monstrous Humanoid, not a Humanoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

A 193

Avariels (a.k.a. Winged Elves) from Races of Faerun have a 50 foot fly speed.
    Asabi from Monsters of Faerun have a 20 foot burrow speed.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

25. - Top - End - #385

Q194
    How many doses of Ambrosia (BoED) fit within an Enveloping Pit (MIC 159)? A Portable Hole? A Handy Haversack? Is that in potion bottles or vials? Is there a difference?

Thanks regardless Playground.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-06-17 at 09:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 195: Are there any spells that grant concealment/a miss chance that aren't from the illusion school?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

A 195
    Any fog spell grants concealment in both directions.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

A 194

One dose of ambrosia fits in a vial.

A vial holds 1 ounce of liquid. The stoppered container usually is no more than 1 inch wide and 3 inches high.
    Approximately yes* of these will fit in a Portable Hole, and yes-times-five in an Enveloping Pit.

* Almost definitely over 250000.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    A 195
    Any fog spell grants concealment in both directions.
    Q 195 Clarification I should have seen that answer coming XD - but it's good to have, since I totally forgot about those spells. Are there any non-illusion spells that grant a miss chance that affect single targets/discrete numbers of targets rather than an area?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

30. - Top - End - #390

One dose of ambrosia fits in a vial.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SRD
    A vial holds 1 ounce of liquid. The stoppered container usually is no more than 1 inch wide and 3 inches high.
    Approximately yes* of these will fit in a Portable Hole, and yes-times-five in an Enveloping Pit.

* Almost definitely over 250000.
    Q194 Clarification

I was under the impression (meaning I can't remember where I read it) that an Enveloping Pit had considerably more space than a Portable Hole because one is square and the other is diameter...?