New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Base Class Challenge XVII Voting Thread

Welcome to the voting thread for Base Class Challenge XVII, Heroes of Note: Keeping it Trill! Voting will consist of each voter giving a first, second, and third place vote for three separate base classes. Anyone can vote.

A first place vote is worth three points, a second place vote is worth two points, and a third place vote is worth one point. You may not vote for your own class.

You are encouraged to include reason with your votes, though this is not absolutely required.

The class that ends up with the most points wins the challenge contest. Voting starts now and will continue until 23:59 (Central Standard Time USA/Canada) on June 18th.

1st Place: TreüthSyngër, by BelGareth
    2nd Place: Jongleur, by sirpercival
    3rd Place: Dragon Chorister, by Zaydos

{table=head]Base Class|Author|1st|2nd|3rd|Total Points
    Black Parader|inuyasha|0|1|1|3
    Themeweaver (Chords)|Xhosant|0|1|1|3
    Rock God|malonkey1|4|0|2|14
    TreüthSyngër|BelGareth|2|3|5|17
    Woodwind Druid|Quellian-dyrae|0|2|2|6
    Performancer|Derjuin|0|2|2|6
    Jongleur (Soulmelds)|sirpercival|4|2|0|16
    Guitarrior|Mr. M|0|1|0|2
    War Drummer|Hytheter|0|2|1|5
    Dragon Chorister|Zaydos|4|1|1|15
    Conductor (Tune Trooper Archetypes)|Pyromancer999|1|0|0|3[/table]

Unfortunately, the musician of the soul, orchestrator, living song, ultra kyu, and birdsong bard are ineligible for voting.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-06-19 at 02:58 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge XVII Voting Thread

1st. rock god

2nd. Guitarrior

3rd. War drummer
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

1st Place:Rock God by malonkey1.
    2nd Place:Jongleur by Sirpercival .
    3rd Place:TreüthSyngër by BelGareth .

I had a hard time picking a top 3 with this one (They were all great!). A huge kudos to all the applicants for flavorful and original classes: Good job, everyone!
    Last edited by necroon; 2013-05-29 at 06:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

1. Jongleur: Weird name, but the class features are very interesting. This would have tied with my #2 vote if not for the name on the last class feature.
    2. The TreüthSyngër: A neat class, and it manages to differentiate itself from Warlocks significantly enough to feel fresh, while still remaining familiar and easy to pick up.
    3. Woodwind Druid: An interesting idea, and it feels like how the Fochlucan Lyrist should have been done.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

5. - Top - End - #5

1. Dragon Chorister by Zaydos. I... love dragons. So... yeah. What would you think of reworking this into a bard-type addition to the Ethos of the Wyrm?
    2. The TreüthSyngër by BelGareth. Love the flavor; having written a warlock clone before myself (the Holomancer), I think you did a really nice job.
    3. Rock God by malonkey1. I can only imagine a party made up of a Rock God and a Powerbard.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

6. - Top - End - #6

Votes tallied.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

1st place: Jongleur by Sirpercival. Quite well built and put together, puts incarnum to a good use. I like it better than Incarnate. Some of its abilities worried me, but most of them come online only once you have the soul chakra at 20th level which it took me till I was typing this post to realize (and I can't remember the other ones) which kicked it up a place.
    2nd place: Performancer by Derjuin. This is the one I can see allowing in a campaign fairly easily (biggest problem I saw was the Fascinate ability doesn't allow a safe, and some questions about if Dirge, Penetrating Song, and the third ability of the like counted as one of your three effects you could have on a melody at a time).
    3rd place: TreüthSyngër by BelGareth. I like this one a lot. That said it steps on the toe of warlock too much (my players and I play plain warlock often enough), with the Perfect Sonnet ability I felt it could do with less skills, it also can get at-will AoE effects which force opponents to succeed on a save or lose 3+ turns starting at 8th level, which are saves or lose. Really Dazing Cadence bothered me as 1) Daze is hard to get immunity to, 2) it's stronger than all the 8th level Cadences (though weaker than the 16th level ones).

@Sirpercival: I'd have to look over your thing more thoroughly, which I am loath to do at the moment, since I've actually started working on a similar project (I am bored for the next 3 weeks so trying to make a Complete Dragon), but I don't think the idea is actually objectionable. That said I did realize I left out the effect of one ability so that it exists on the table but not the description (Vocalist = free ranks in Perform (Song)).
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2013-05-30 at 08:54 PM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

1: Rock God
    2: War Drummer
    3: Black Parader

9. - Top - End - #9

Votes tallied.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

1st: Dragon Chorister- Awesome, and at a moment's notice no less.

2nd: Woodwind Druid- On one hand, it is gravely overpowered, plus Autumnal winds don't mention optionality, thus becoming troublesome. On the other hand, the sheer awesomeness of the class, especially level 5-, is hard to describe. As a GM i'd make it a Prestige with only the first 5 levels, more or less, but as a player i'd pick these 5.

3d: Truthsinger- Not so much for the class features as for the class drawbacks. Like how almost everything is a double-edged sword.
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2013-06-01 at 02:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

*kills important NPC, avoids entire planned out plot*

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

1st place - Dragon Chorister; reminds me of two of my favorite non-Core classes, the Marshal and the Dragon Fire Adept. The Verse mechanic scales well and the character has a number of options for both combat and out-of-combat playing.

2nd place - TreüthSyngër; delightfully dark and twisted. The madness of the GodChord creates a lot of built-in roleplaying hooks and the use of Warlock invocations makes up for some of the drawbacks inherent in the class.

3rd place - Performancer; I like how it's basically a beefed up bard with a few new abilities to keep it interesting. It's not so much more powerful that it can't go in a regular game. The names of the abilities ("con forza", etc.) are also cool.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

1st - Conductor.

2nd - Themeweaver.

3rd - Dragon Chorister.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

1st - Dragon Chorister: Probably the best made class here, the fluff is, although acceptable, unimpressive, but I love the "change each turn" mechanic involved in the draconic hymns oh so very much.

2nd - Jongleur: A very enjoyable concept, the tone is well done and the mechanics are interesting, and although some soulmelds worry me, I'd most likely allow this in a game.

3rd - TreüthSyngër: I am in love with the concept, and some of its abilities are interesting, but it's simply too much of a "warlock, but better" to get a vote higher than 3rd.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign on a spelljamming vessel disguised to look like a terrestrial zeppelin.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

1st Place: TreüthSyngër, by BelGareth
    2nd Place: Black Parader, by inuyasha
    3rd Place: Rock God, by malonkey1

That's all I have to say on the matter.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

1st - Jongleur
    2nd - War Drummer
    3rd - TreüthSyngër

16. - Top - End - #16

Votes tallied. Sorry for the delay; I just moved, so I haven't had internet except on my phone. Anyone who has tried to post on Giant in the Playground with a phone knows my pain with this. I decided to walk to my college campus for internet instead.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

1st: TreüthSyngër
    2nd: Dragon Chorister
    3rd: Performancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

18. - Top - End - #18

Votes tallied. Nine days for voting, still, everyone. Keep 'em coming.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19

Two days remaining. Anyone's allowed to vote.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-06-16 at 09:14 AM.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20

1: Rock God -- sheer cheesy awesomeness that actually works as a class! Plus, it's my era of music...

2: Performancer -- I like it even though I feel it a bit too powerful

3: Woodwind Druid

(sorry it took me a while to finish the votes, I got called away & didn't have time to get back until now.)
    Last edited by Melayl; 2013-06-19 at 02:47 PM.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

1. Jongleur - fits the theme well, love the Incarnum mechanics, very playable, in fact I'd like to play one (always my ultimate test) and may add some things from this class to a current character or two who can handle Incarnum
    2. Woodwind Druid - I love this idea; I had a Bard/Druid/Pneumomancer in a game but it was an awkward mechanics fit - this class would solve a lot, and add a lot - the mechanics need a little work (as others have observed) but are still very playable
    3. Themeweaver - very original!! I really liked the concept of music as powerful on its own, not just as another way to cast spells - but I found the mechanics to be hard to follow, confusing, so it's third

22. - Top - End - #22

Shoot. I forgot to close this thread. Good news, MetroMagic. Your votes go through.

We're waiting another day to declare winners to see if Melayl finishes his votes. I wouldn't wait if it didn't mean he could make ties and really change the current places.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-06-19 at 01:40 PM.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23

Melayl's votes tallied and winners declared! Congratulations, everyone.
    Homebrew