Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [OOC] The Red Hand of Doom in Eberron

Welcome to the Out of Character discussion thread! I can't wait to get things up and running as soon as we all get settled and get to know each other a little better.

First things first: I want everyone's first post to be their character's stat block, their speaking color (for example, Jopustopin will speak in Green) and a little blurb about yourself. Try not to post anything else until everyone has posted their stats and blurb, to make things easier for future reference.

Second things second: after we've gotten the paperwork and formality out of the way, I need you all to decide who's traveling with whom, from where and why. There are three roads meeting at a watering hole, and you're all arriving there over the course of an hour or so before heading in the same direction. That's pretty much where the railroading stops; if you want to turn and run at the first sign of trouble and leave the Elsir Vale far behind, be my guest. It'll just mean that millions of innocents die, and that I'll have to start coming up with my own encounters, which usually involve too many dragons for a level 5 party. Take your pick.

The OP of the recruitment thread, for posterity:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dry hilltops danced with fire.

Throughout the heart of the tall mountains between Breland and Darguun, the Seawalls, great bonfires had been kindled atop the ridges overlooking Elsir Vale. There thousands of warriors had gathered -- hobgoblins in armor dyed scarlet, thick-thewed bugbear berserkers, goblin worg riders and skirmishers and archers, clusters of enslaved kobolds, and the scaled ones as well, who often towered over the rest. For so long they had fought each other, tribe against tribe, race against race, engaged in the endless test of battle, feud, and betrayal. But tonight . . . tonight they stood together, hated enemies shoulder-to-shoulder, shouting together as brothers. And they saw that they were strong, and together they danced and sang and shook their blades at the smoke-hidden stars overhead.

"We are the Kulkor Zhul!" they shouted, and the hills shook with the thunder of their voices. "We are the People of the Dragon! Uighulth na Hargai! None can stand before us!"

One by one the tribes fell silent. Armor creaked as thousands turned to look up to the Place of Speaking. There, a single champion emerged from the assemblage and slowly climbed the ancient stone stair cut into the side of the hill. A hundred bright yellow banners stood beneath him like a phalanx of spears, each marked with a great red hand. The warpriests holding the banners chanted battle-prayers in low voices as the champion ascended.

On the hundredth step he stopped and turned to face the waiting warriors. He was tall and strong, one of the hobgoblin chieftains, but dull blue scales gleamed along his shoulders, and jutting horns swept back from his head. "I am Azarr Kul, Son of the Dragon!" he cried. "Hear me, warriors of the Kulkor Zhul! Tomorrow we march to war!"

The warriors roared their approval, stamping their feet and clashing spear to shield. Azarr Kul waited, holding his hands aloft until they quieted again. "The warpriests of the Bloody Hand have shown us the way! They have taught us honor, discipline, obedience -- and strength! No more will we waste our blood fighting each other. We will take the lands of the elf, the dwarf, the gnome, and the human, and make them ours! Under the banner of the Red Hand of Doom we march to victory and conquest! Remember that you stood here this night, warriors of Kulkor Zhul! For a hundred generations your sons and your sons' sons will sing of the blood spilled by your swords and the glory you win in the nights to come! Now, my brothers -- to WAR!"

The burning hills were too small to hold the roar the Kulkor Zhul gave in answer to their warlord's call.

The 16:
    Spoiler
    Show
    System: Dungeons and Dragons Version 3.5
    Player Count: 4-6, depending on party composition and the individuals involved.
    Style of Play:
    1. Strong familiarity with the rules of the game and a decent sense of optimization. I do not want or expect hard-core min/maxed characters, but don't expect your half-elf Monk with 8 Con and 14 Int to get in.
    2. Working knowledge of Eberron. If this is your first game in Eberron, that's fine by me; just take the time to read through the Campaign Setting and perhaps the Player's Guide. If you can't take the time to do that, this game might not be for you. We'll be starting in Breland, near Kennrun.
    3. The ability to commit to a game for the long haul. Real life happens, and I understand that; but this is a long module, and the pacing of PbP games means that we're going to be doing this for years to come. Keep that in mind when designing your character; a one-trick pony is going to get boring pretty quickly.
    4. As much as I can focus on mechanics, I'm only going to care about your character if they're a person, not just a pile of mechanics. If you show me a Lion-Totem Barbarian Pounce machine, that's all I'll see, and I've seen that too many times to find it interesting.
    5. This is a combat heavy module, but a character that can only contribute in a fight is going to feel like a dead weight. I'll reiterate all over again: one trick ponies and very combat-focused characters will not get selected over well-rounded, interesting people.

Allowed Content:

• The SRD, which means Core + Psionics
    • The Eberron Campaign Setting, Player's Guide, Magic of, Faiths of, etc.
    • The "Complete" Series
    • The "Races of" Series
    • The Magic Item Compendium
    • The Spell Compendium
    • The Tome of Battle
    • The Tome of Magic (even the Truenamer. Hell, especially the Truenamer.)
    • Heroes of Horror
    • The Magic of Incarnum
    • It's Hot Outside, It's Wet Outside, It's Cold Outside, It's Not Outside (the 'Scape books)
    • Dragon Magic and the Draconomicon

If you want something else from a printed book, let me know. I have nearly every 3.5 book, I just want to be informed about anything from a book that I'm not intimately familiar with.

By the way, you'll note that Homebrew is not on that list. I didn't list it on purpose. If you can't find what you want in all of 3.5, you're not looking hard enough. (While I recognize there are some things that 3.5 doesn't cover, there is enough material for me to know already before adding Homebrew to the mix.)

Character Creation:

I would like all sheets to be hosted by Mythweavers. There might be a better site out there, but that's the one I'm used to.

• Backstory: I'm looking for anything from a paragraph to a short story. This is your chance to show me how well you write, and to get me emotionally invested in your character. Additionally, I'm going to request a physical description of your character; it should be enough that I can get a decent picture of them in my head.
    • Experience: You'll be starting at level 5. This is Eberron, so being level 5 means that you're as strong or stronger than any given Captain of the Guard in a small city. Keep that in mind when writing your backstory.
    • Wealth: WBL for level 5, which is 9000gp.
    • Ability Scores: Roll three sets of 7d8b6 seven times, then throw that away and use 32 point buy. I like equity.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Maximum hit points at first level, then half from there. For example, a level 5 Cleric will have (8)+(4.5)*(4)=(26) hit points before factoring Constitution in.
    • Alignment: Eberron is all about shades of grey. You can be an intolerant, violent Paladin of the Silver Flame or you can be a shifty, backstabbing Changeling thief; the only line I'll draw is when you can't work as a member of the group.

House Rules:
    1. Half-Elves get a extra skill points, like humans. This is because they suck as printed, but are supposed to be rather common.
    2. Fractional BAB and Saves.
    3. No Flaws, one Trait
    4. During combat, any PC that does not post for a couple days goes on autopilot.
    5. Rolls will be done in spoilers in the IC thread; yours and mine.

Other Notes:
    1. I'm going to talk about character optimization one more time. Your character should be a person, first and foremost. I've been playing this game for a while, and I know a cookie-cutter build when I see one. But on the other side of the coin, I also expect some intelligence and planning to go into your character's stats; a 5th level Fighter with a Bastard Sword and a shield is going to get killed or bored to death pretty early on.
    2. And on that line, my Eberron is a little rougher and tougher than the Eberron in your books. NPC class levels are strictly for noncombatants; don't expect Kings and Queens to have levels of Aristocrat laying around. Skilled warriors will not use the Warrior class; indeed, you should expect nearly any soldier to be a Fighter, and people with special skill will often have Martial Adept levels. My Eberron is still a mostly non-Epic world, and the biggest powerhouses usually stop around ECL 14 or so; but what they do with those levels is going to be a lot more useful than something like Aristocrat 4/ Fighter 10.
    3. I use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation as often as I can. I'm not perfect, and I will make mistakes. I'm not going to hold anyone to a higher standard than myself, but I do ask that you give me the same effort that I give you.
    4. Pull up a chair, we're about to get real. Ready? Sometimes I suck. Sometimes my girlfriend has had a terrible week and I need to spend the evening making her feel better. Sometimes I have a four month project due Tuesday, and I haven't even started it yet. Sometimes I loose my creative drive. I plan on being with this game for a long time, and I have a very solid track record as a player; but as a DM, I'm going to need the occasional push and prod to keep things moving. In that same way, I may poke players every now and then if they haven't responded; and while the pace will vary, I'd like to aim for a post a day to begin with, and hopefully more during combat. If that sounds like too much, you're probably even busier than I am, in which case I congratulate you on your medical degree and/or newborn child.
    5. I will add as a final note that if you've played this module before, don't be afraid to join up. I'm changing a lot of the module in the process of integrating it into the world of Eberron, and after we finish with the Red Hand of Doom I have big plans for what might happen next. And if you've never played this module before, awesome! You're in for a fantastic time.

Interest:

If you made it through all of that text and I haven't scared you off yet, we're going to get along just fine. Post away with any questions, ideas, or character concepts you might have, and I'll try to give everyone prompt and thorough responses. Character creation will run until next Friday, the 31st of May.

EDIT- I'm back after my weekend of science, and I'm going to want to start seeing completed sheets from people that have already posted interest. If you've remained completely silent and have a whole sheet ready to go, that's a little antisocial, but if you say something in the thread before the end of the day I won't hold it against you.

And the final party will be:

Player Character Race Class Alignment XP
    RaggedAngel Pun-Pun Kobold Yes TN Yes
    Crinias Isaac Caducine Human Binder TN 15617
    King Tius Wrex Volaar Hobgoblin Crusader LG 13123
    Hoverfrog Mina d'Lyrandar Half-Elf Artificer CG 15617
    Saskia Roger the Bard Half-Elf Bard NG 15617
    TheFallenOne Lavender Sinsyne Half-Elf Focused Evoker CN 15596

Alright. With no further ado, the thread is open for business.

As a note, I use this language translator.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2014-06-07 at 11:42 AM.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] The Red Hand of Doom in Eberron

I'll take blue for a thousand, Alex.

Roger the Bard
    Male CG Half-elf Bard, Level 5th, Init +0, HP 30/30, Speed 30
    AC 15, Touch 10, Flat-footed 15, Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus +3
    Crystal of return, least Crystal Echoblade, singing +9 (1d8+7, 19-20)
    Crystal Echoblade, not singing (20) +6 (1d8+3, 19-20)
    Sling (20) +3 (1d4+2, x2)
    +1 Chain shirt (+5 Armor)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Condition None

And because I totally didn't forget it earlier, NO DON'T LOOK AT THE EDIT TIME!

Roger is a jovial man, always ready to talk about himself, his adored love Audrey, his lovely family back in Korranberg, the current hot political topics, or any of myriad other topics, and he's just as eager to listen to somebody talk about something he doesn't understand. After all, what better way to learn is there than by listening to those who already know? He also readily seeks the attention of beautiful women, though he would never allow it to go far. He is in love, after all.

Friends might know he's technically a member of House Lyrandar, but he doesn't bear a dragonmark and his mother was not in the family's good graces, and he finds the expectations placed upon him as a member of the House to be less interesting than his time is worth. He's happy to help out, but he is not a sailor (though he has a childlike fascination with ships, and airships in particular) and he is not a farmer in need of good weather so he finds himself generally out of the spheres of the House's influence. And for all that, he wouldn't even be allowed to marry the woman he loves? What a wasted life that would be. Of course, one would have to be family or a very good friend to know most of that.

His greatest pride (aside from Audrey) is his voice, a profound baritone, a bit on the low end as might be expected for a man of his stature, and he works to perfect it at every opportunity. He also has a reflexive tendency to sing lightly to fill in silence, and often he doesn't even realize he's doing it. A keen observer, might notice that he never mentions his family name, and one who asks directly is politely informed that it is rude to ask a traveler about their heritage and risk opening old wounds from the war. He was fortunate in not having lost anybody he was particularly close with, but that's not the point anyway.

Sometimes he almost seems to think that being on the side of the "good guys" is plot armor against the world, and might occasionally need to be brought back down to earth.
    Last edited by Saskia; 2013-05-31 at 01:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Mina will choose Dark Orange

Wilhelmina 'Mina' Lovain d'Lyrandar
    Female Chaotic Good Half elf (Khorovar) Artificer 5, Level 5, Init +1, HP 30/30, Speed 30
    AC 13, Touch 11, Flat-footed 12, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 3, Action Points 4 1d6
    Light mace +2 (1d6-1, x2)
    Light crossbow (20) +4 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    Leather (+2 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 16
    Condition None

Mina is Khorovar, a half elf scion of House Lyrandar, who has worked on ships all of her life, mainly as an engineer but also as a pilot. Her ambition is to captain her own airship one day. She likes building things, ginger cake and flying and dislikes bad art, high heels and Karrns. She is typically in the company of three of her own constructs: "Fix" the Dedicated Wright, "Pig" the Iron Defender and "Scroll Bearer" the Homunculus. She apologizes for the names but has a weakness for puns.

She has every reason to travel with another khoravar. Her immediate aim is to find a safe place to pick up some decent paper and ink so she can set down some scrolls either to sell or to use herself.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2013-05-31 at 11:23 AM.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll claim teal for Isaac.

Isaac Caducine
    Male TN Human Binder, Level 5, Init +7, HP 36/36, Speed 30 ft.
    AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 3, Action Points 7
    Masterwork Morningstar (308 gp) +5 (1d8+1, x2)
    Masterwork Rapier (320 gp) + Least Crystal of Return (300 gp) +1 (+9 to attack if Paimon is bound) (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
    +1 Mithral Chain Shirt (2250 gp), Masterwork Buckler (165 gp) (+5 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Condition None

I'm really surprised and grateful I got in! I look forward to a great game.

Let's see, Isaac... He's a tall, black haired, blue eyed man dressed in a modified traveler's outfit, with a longcoat instead of a cloak; around his neck is a red scarf. He has a thoughtful expression on his face, and is always composed. He moves as though his body was light, with grace and finesse.

Isaac is what you'd get if you took a slightly above-average guy from a completely average life and made him a pact magic fanboy. Alright, that's a bad way of putting it, but it's not incorrect. Basically, pact magic has completely influenced all aspects of his life since he first found out about them 10 years ago.

He believes all people have the potential to be amazing, or interesting, in their own manner. He could, so it follows others can as well. I suppose he's humble in that sense. It follows from that train of thought that anyone can be a hero or a villain. He hasn't paused to consider the moral implications of his beliefs, though.

He wishes to make pact magic a more common type of magic. If knowledge about vestiges and binders themselves became more common, his goal would be complete and he'd be able to die happy. But it'd be contradictory to simply stop having ambitions just because you've fulfilled one of your goals, so he'd obtain another passion (while retaining his love of vestiges) and go on living an interesting life.

For now, he's a spy for Breland, working for the Dark Lanterns, the Citadel's intelligence branch. It's quite neat, to understate things. His personality and quirks make it seem like he's a normal, uninteresting person: someone would never be suspected of being a spy. The irony hurts a bit.

He likes swapping stories with people, traveling and obtaining hidden knowledge. He dislikes mediocrity and hot summer days. He hates meaningless acts of evil for their own sake and fears necromancers. These last two are a result of meeting a rather unfriendly spy from Karrnath.
    Last edited by Crinias; 2013-06-01 at 07:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Aw, man. Both shades of blue Rem could use taken already. Perhaps royal blue?

Rem Dremidydd
    Male TN Human (?) Duskblade 5, Level 5, Init +2, HP 36/36, Speed 30ft
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +7, Base Attack Bonus +5, Action Points 7
    Least Crystal of Acid Assault +1 Dragonfang Greatsword (-) +8 (2d6+4+1+1, 19-20/x2)
    Masterwork Whip (-) +9 (1d3, 20/x2)
    Magic +1 Chain Shirt, Magic +1 Buckler (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition None
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2013-06-22 at 03:39 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex will speak in a gruff Red.

From across the room Wrex looks like a typical hobgoblin who found his way into some long-forgotten tomb and stole some fancy armor. Once you get a little closer and meet the man, you learn that he is a proud and noble warrior, an adherent to an ancient code that has been entirely lost on the modern goblinoid population. With almost no provocation he will break into an old ballad or dirge sung with strange goblin pronunciation. He often speaks of the rise of New Dhakaan, something most of you probably aren't all that familiar with.

I will be channeling Worf from Star Trek: The Next Generation for how I want Wrex to come across. His roughness around the edges will be because he is a hobgoblin with strange customs and beliefs, not to mention he is ugly by human standards. He is a proud and honorable warrior, all the good bits of the paladin without all the nag. Once your characters get past any inherent prejudices about goblinoids, I hope they will find Wrex to be someone they respect.

Wrex Volaar
    Male LG Crusader 4, Level 4, Init +2, HP 38/38, Speed 20 ft
    AC 21, Touch 11, Flat-Footed 20, Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3, BAB +4, AP 6(?)
    Spiked Chain +8 (2d4+6 plus Trip, 10 ft reach, 20/x3) [preferred]
    Falchion +8 (2d4+6, 18-20/x2)
    Javelin x3 +6 (1d6+4, 30 ft, 20/x2)
    +1 Full Plate (+9 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Natural)
    Abilites str 19, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 14
    Condition None
    Last edited by King Tius; 2013-05-31 at 09:02 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Jor Fallen will speak in very, very dark green

Jor is an average looking halfling with lighter features than most. His hair is dirty blond and his eyes are hazel. He wears Cannith made mithral breastplate bearing the crest of Breland and has a heavy crossbow strapped to his side. He has a warmness about him that makes you feel comfortable around him although he does have a mysterious side which you assume comes from years spent at war.

Jora Fallen
    Spoiler
    Show

Female Halfling Spellthief 1/Evoker 3/Master Specialist 1
    NG Small humanoid (halfling)
    Init +4; Senses Listen +2, Spot +0
    Languages Common, Halfling, Elven, Goblin, Draconic
    Action Points: 6/7

AC 20 (+5 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Size), touch 15, flat-footed 16
    HP 26 (1d6+4d4+10)
    Resist +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear.
    Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +5

Speed 15Medium Load (base 20 ft.)
    Melee darkwood heavy club +2 (1d4-2/x2)
    Ranged darkwood heavy crossbow +8 (1d8/19-20)
    Base Atk +2; Grp -4
    Atk Options sneak attack +1d6, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Steal Spell
    Special Actions Counterfire as immediate action against ranged attacks or spells. Requires ranged touch attack and does 1d6 points of damage. Usable three times per day.
    Combat Gear Anklet of Translocation, Amulet of Tears
    Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 4th, 15% arcane spell failure chance):
    • 2nd - Seeking Ray, Glitterdust, Baleful Transposition, Seeking Ray
    • 1st - Magic Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Benign Transposition, Enlarge Person, Grease
    • 0th- Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Launch Bolt, Launch Bolt

Abilities Str 6, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 12
    SQ Trapfinding
    Feats Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, Spell Focus (Evocation), Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
    Skills Concentration +9, Spellcraft +16, Jump +1, Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Tumble +10, Balance +8, Hide +10, Move Silently +8, Appraise +4, Autohypnosis +3, Disable Device +4, Gather Information +2, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +4, Knowledge (Nature) +4, Knowledge (Religion) +3, Knowledge (The Planes) +5, Climb +1, Handle Animal +0, Listen +2
    Skill Tricks Collector of Stories
    Possessions Mithral Breastplate, Darkwood Heavy Crossbow, Darkwod Bolts (9), Darkwood Club, Backpack, Bedroll, Waterskin, Trail Ration, Wizard's Spellshard x2, Identification papers with portrait, Spell component pouch, anklet of translocation, amulet of tears

Level Build
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 1
    • Class: Spellthief
    • Feat: Point Blank Shot
    • HP: 6 + 2 = 8
    • Skill Points (36): Concentration 4, Spellcraft 4, Jump 4, Tumble 4, Balance 4, Hide 3, Move Silently 3, Disable Device 1, Gather Information 1, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Autohypnosis 2, Spot 1, Use Magic Device 1
    • Class Features: Sneak Attack +1d6, Steal Spell (0 or 1st), trapfinding

Level 2
    • Class: Evoker
    • Feat: Precise Shot
    • HP:8+ 2.5 + 2 = 12.5
    • Skill Points (5): Concentration 1, Knowledge (Arcana) 1, Jump 2, Tumble 1
    • Class Features: Counterfire, Spells

Level 3
    • Feat: Spell Focus (Evocation)
    • HP: 12.5 + 2.5 + 2 = 17
    • Skill Points (5): Concentration 1, Spellcraft 2, Balance 2

Level 4
    • HP: 17 + 2.5 + 2 = 21.5
    • Skill Points (5): Concentration 1, Spellcraft 1, Tumble 1, Skill Trick: Collector of Stories

Level 5
    • Class: Master Specialist
    • HP: 21.5 + 2.5 + 2 = 26
    • Skill Points (5): Concentration 1, Spellcraft 1, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 1, Knowledge (Religion) 1, Knowledge (Nature) 1
    • Feat: Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2013-07-14 at 07:32 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

And with that, the thread is open for discourse and discussion. The first order of business will be deciding who is traveling with who. I think there should be some nice backstory overlap between several of your characters, but I'd rather you all figure that out instead of me telling you what I want. That'll come around Monday, when the IC thread gets up and rolling.

LGBTitP

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I find it hard to believe that the Dark Lantern's would be completely unaware that a foreign power was going to assault Breland.

I think that Wrex might be an informant of some sort since he knows about The Red Hand. Jor might be meeting up with him to learn more information. Isaac Caducine might know Jor (through the Dark Lantern's) and accompany him as something as exciting as a goblin assault on Breland would be worthy of, you know, not being on vacation.

Roger the bard could be a middleman, the one who first heard from Wrex that this was occurring and set up a meeting between Wrex and Jor.

Mina... uh.. is Roger's girl toy and can't help herself but tag along. Rem.... wrong place wrong time (like always).
    Camel's Handbook

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex loves to sing and is particularly interested in preserving the oral history of Kech Volaar so I think it's an easy sell for him to be be friends with Roger the Bard.
    Last edited by King Tius; 2013-05-31 at 09:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    Mina... uh.. is Roger's girl toy and can't help herself but tag along. Rem.... wrong place wrong time (like always).
    As much as this amuses me, keep in mind that I want most of you to not know each other when the game begins. It's more organic that way.

LGBTitP

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex can just as easily be a loner wandering in to the watering hole.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

13. - Top - End - #13

As much as this amuses me, keep in mind that I want most of you to not know each other when the game begins. It's more organic that way.
    Then, Rem is definitely wrong place wrong time.

I think it would be appropriate if he was just investigating the recovery of the bodies of the people who died on the Day of Mourning, and planning on heading that way to see if any of them jogged his memories or gave him clues as to what he should do next, when he ran into Isaac at the inn where we meet and, for some unfathomable reason, found him interesting despite (or perhaps because of) being the most ordinary-seeming person at the inn.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Mina is the only dragonmarked member of the party. Another outbreak of war could hurt trade all across Khorvaire or at least disrupt it locally. As a trusted member of House Lyrandar she could have been sent to investigate possible unrest. Perhaps she has been sent to meet up with Wrex Volaar to report on the "troubles" in the area?

Alternatively she may have joined forces with a Dark Lantern, Isaac Caducine, so the Dragonmarked Houses and local government are better able to share information (neither trusts the other to provide all of what they discover).

Another alternative is that she met Jor during the war. She was stationed in Breland in the Royal Navy until her dragonmark manifested and she was whisked off the safety to be properly trained. Perhaps they knew one another from the old days of hunting down Karrnathi. The same could apply to Rem.

Maybe she even brought along her boy toy. To be honest that's unlikely. Mina knows that her marriage will be a political one to further the interests of her House. A liaison with an itinerant singer who isn't even part of the house might be excused as youthful experimentation but she wouldn't take it seriously. Besides which, she prefers her men taller.

One or two of these would probably be enough. I like the idea of Wrex being our contact. Are you alright with that, King Tius? If so that's one person with a definite reason for being there. Isaac and Jor might know one another anyway and Mina has a mission from House Lyrandar. So Isaac, Jor and Mina have to find and interview Wrex independently though they don't know one another. Rem knows Mina from the war. Roger knows Wrex because the hobgoblin is teaching him an ancient style of Dhakaani opera.

More alternatives?
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Wrex being a contact point makes a ton of sense. He has all kinds of personal and clan motivations for knocking out the Red Hand, so I think it seems more plausible that'd he know about it than randomly wandering into a bar and learning about something like this brewing in his homeland.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King Tius View Post
    I think Wrex being a contact point makes a ton of sense. He has all kinds of personal and clan motivations for knocking out the Red Hand, so I think it seems more plausible that'd he know about it than randomly wandering into a bar and learning about something like this brewing in his homeland.
    While there are rumors of unrest stirring in the mountains and the appearance of a powerful new chieftain, details are remarkably hard to come by. It would make sense that Wrex might come over into human lands to try and find out if the softskins have more information about the unsettlingly vague trouble brewing in the mountains of the hobgoblin country.

LGBTitP

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    Well I find it hard to believe that the Dark Lantern's would be completely unaware that a foreign power was going to assault Breland.

I think that Wrex might be an informant of some sort since he knows about The Red Hand. Jor might be meeting up with him to learn more information. Isaac Caducine might know Jor (through the Dark Lantern's) and accompany him as something as exciting as a goblin assault on Breland would be worthy of, you know, not being on vacation.
    Indeed, I was thinking along similar lines. Whether the Lanterns interrupt Isaac's vacations to ask him to investigate/interfere or he simply hears about the Red Hand and decides to go on his own initiative is not particularly important (although I'm leaning towards the former). Maybe he was the closest agent they had in the area.

It'd make sense for him to know Jor or Myna, or at least have heard of them. We've all mostly agreed on meeting Wrex as our contact, too, and I don't disagree.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Roger is Lyrandar, he just doesn't like to make a deal about it, mainly because he doesn't like the responsibility to do the sorts of things that interest him least and he's not in the best standing. Maybe Mina was sent on a dangerous assignment and Roger, wanting to protect his cousin (and go on great adventures), begged to tag along stands nobly by his family?

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by hoverfrog View Post
    Rem knows Mina from the war.
    No, he most certainly does not. He remembers just about nothing from before the war, and having Mina recognize him would necessitate her knowing about him from before the war, which would not really work with his character concept. Really, Rem most likely would just at the wrong place at the right time and get involved because whatever's going on seems interesting.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    No, he most certainly does not. He remembers just about nothing from before the war, and having Mina recognize him would necessitate her knowing about him from before the war, which would not really work with his character concept. Really, Rem most likely would just at the wrong place at the right time and get involved because whatever's going on seems interesting.
    I'm happy with this, and it's more or less what I intended with Rem. Again, I'm completely fine with none of the PC's knowing each-other at the beginning of the game, but it makes sense for a few of you to have a connection beforehand. The less we have to force relationships, the better.

LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

To keep it simple then, the two half elves know one another through the family. Mina is now quite involved with the family business and all the politics that come with it while Roger has avoided that mess. Clever lad. Mina both envies Roger's freedom from such entanglements and wishes to bring him back to the family. A nice little contradiction to play with.

So Mina has been sent to find out what is disrupting trade around the Seawalls and deal with it if possible. She has been given the name of a contact in town, some kind of local expert by the name of Wrex. Rather than drag Roger along it might be more interesting if he were there independently and they just meet up
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

To keep it simple then, the two half elves know one another through the family. Mina is now quite involved with the family business and all the politics that come with it while Roger has avoided that mess. Clever lad. Mina both envies Roger's freedom from such entanglements and wishes to bring him back to the family. A nice little contradiction to play with.

So Mina has been sent to find out what is disrupting trade around the Seawalls and deal with it if possible. She has been given the name of a contact in town, some kind of local expert by the name of Wrex. Rather than drag Roger along it might be more interesting if he were there independently and they just meet up
    Being that she's also bright and beautiful (just like Roger, of course) and can fix and maintain and actually pilot ships and airships (things for which Roger was never given the opportunity to learn himself), and actually cares about him, he would probably feel like Mina is something of a kindred spirit, and probably his favorite cousin. Roger is annoyed and dismayed at Mina's willingness to sacrifice genuine love and affection from a real lover in favor of some sterile political marriage that helps out anybody but her. There's a reason there's never been a love story written about two people who were ordered to marry each other, except in the bland stories about how class is nothing more than a state of mind meant to comfort the upper echelons when they glance out their windows and begin to feel pangs of a guilt over not helping the conditions of the poor. It's also very difficult to enjoy your own liberation knowing somebody you love is enslaved and apparently ignorant of or resigned to her own bondage.

Being a bard Roger would certainly have heard rumblings of another war about to start. He's got the skills to find out where he might have to go to find out more and he's got the right amount of naivety and conviction to recklessly risk his life trying to stop it. As far as something approaching a plan goes, "find out what's going on" is always phase one; the rest comes after he knows what he's dealing with.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Awesome, I go on a trip for a day and you guys get good thought-work done. So I'm going to elaborate on how I'm inserting the campaign into Eberron, as a reward*.

So, one of the things that I notice about Eberron, from the perspective of a scientifically minded individual, is that it was clearly made by a more english-brained kind of person that has a love of magic and science without actually being a scientist. And I don't meant that as an insult; Eberron is infinitely more interesting and complex and well-formed than any world that I could have made on my own in my free time, or even if it was my job. But on the other hand, some things are a bit egregious; like the time scales and sizes of the landmasses.

On the sense of time scales, they're simply enormous. You could divide every single time in the official timeline earlier than 1000 years ago by 50 and they'd still be strangely large. I mean, the Daelkyr War lasted four thousand years; that's a war that outlasted most real-world human civilizations. And you can't argue that all the participants in the war were extremely long-lived individuals, thus slowing the pace of things; hobgoblins were the Daelkyr's main foes, and they live shorter than humans do and have a very aggressively militant social structure. It could happen, maybe, but it still strikes me as a large number chosen more or less at random for the purpose of filling up time in the time scale.

And that bit of oddness is why I decided to look at the scale of Khorvaire, and I was unsurprised to see that the continent is larger than all of Eurasia. Not only that, but Sarlona is even bigger than Khorvaire, and Xen'drik is comparable to Khorvaire if you ignore the fact that a large portion of that continent was sunk by a cataclysm of magic.

And that means that every single town, city, and landmark in Khorvaire is much, much, much further from each other than they seem on the map, since scale is so inflated. The closest settlements to each other would be a few days of flight in a fast windship; but for the average man, it would be weeks and weeks between two adjacent small towns. That, my friends, just isn't how societies work, at least working off of the only example I have, which is Real Life. Granted, Real Life lacks magic, but it's the best example I have.

And so I decided, for my personal Head-Canon, that the locations shown on the map of Khorvaire and the submaps of the Five Nations and the other nations around them are simply a brief overview of the many settlements and locations that are sure to exist in a land so old. So I simply found a place where the Elsir Vale fit well, geographically speaking, and was near a bunch of hobgoblins; in this case, the Eastern edge of Breland, between the Seawalls and Starilaskur. Now, the Elsir Vale is pretty densely populated, as you will soon discover; and it has a lot of racial diversity in it. I've decided that most of Eberron is like that; sure, you'll have some areas of wilderness or farmland, but many places will be densely populated with small towns of little import that the mapmakers never bothered to include, but that exist all the same.

*And by reward, I mean "what I'm supposed to do as a good DM".

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Keith Baker said that the one thing he would change about Eberron was the scale of Khorvaire. Apparently they got it wrong (according to him).
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2013-06-01 at 10:29 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

25. - Top - End - #25

Khorvaire is really really big, it's ridiculous. I remember a friend once commented Cyre alone was around the size of Europe, and that really raises a lot of questions regarding travelling times. Even with the Lightning Rail and airships travel times tend to be kinda slow.

Really, Khorvaire should be as big as the DM wants it to be. It's completely understandable to add locations to where there would normally be empty places on the map, and you're perfectly within your rights to do so.

Although, I'm not entirely sure where exactly Elsir Vale is supposed to be located. I can locate the space between Starilaskur and the Seawalls just fine, and you said we'd be starting near Kennrun, but exactly how big is Elsir Vale, and what exactly are its features? Do you mind if we look up a map of it?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I think that maybe Keith Baker had a very US attitude to scale. The USA is sparsely populated compared to much of Europe after all. In England, where I'm from, we have 62million+ people in 94,000 square miles. The USA has 3.6 million square miles and only about 5 or 6 times the population. From my house I am in walking distance of half a dozen forts or castles. In a day of walking I can get to one of a dozen cities. Granted Khorvaire isn't going to have the modern communication routes of 21st century England but if Cyre was 1 million square miles (10 times that of England) then we'd expect a lot more population centres, castles, forts, roads and rail lines.

In particular any nation at war or expecting war would line its borders with forts and roads to defend itself. Not far from me is Fort Nelson. It was build in peacetime in the Victorian era against the threat of a French land attack on Portsmouth. We weren't even at war with France. Lord Palmerston simply saw a vulnerability in England's defences and put something in place to remove that vulnerability. In war time, particularly given the changing nature of war across Khorvaire I would imagine forts every five to ten miles along permanent borders or at least at key locations. Imagine Breland, concerned that Cyre would land 40 miles from Sharn and then attack overland at this key trade city. Wouldn't you surround it with defences?

In short I have to agree with RaggedAngel's assessment that the map of Khorvaire just shows key points of interest.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    Being that she's also bright and beautiful (just like Roger, of course) and can fix and maintain and actually pilot ships and airships (things for which Roger was never given the opportunity to learn himself), and actually cares about him, he would probably feel like Mina is something of a kindred spirit, and probably his favorite cousin. Roger is annoyed and dismayed at Mina's willingness to sacrifice genuine love and affection from a real lover in favor of some sterile political marriage that helps out anybody but her. There's a reason there's never been a love story written about two people who were ordered to marry each other, except in the bland stories about how class is nothing more than a state of mind meant to comfort the upper echelons when they glance out their windows and begin to feel pangs of a guilt over not helping the conditions of the poor. It's also very difficult to enjoy your own liberation knowing somebody you love is enslaved and apparently ignorant of or resigned to her own bondage.
    I see a messy break up in our past
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that maybe Keith Baker had a very US attitude to scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Baker
    Q: Im sorry if this has been asked before, but you said the scale of Khorvaire was incorrect. How so?

A: I feel that the Five Nations should be on the scale of France and England; by the original maps, theyre on the same scale as Russia and China. Its a question of travel time between nations, the logical impact an army traveling on foot can have, and similar things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Baker
    Q: If there were anything youd change about as-published Eberron, what would it be? What would you add or expand?

A: Lots of things. I wish wed had more space to talk about the planes and undersea nations. Id like more information about the spells and weapons used during the Last War, and more information about what war in Eberron actually looks like (and how these things could affect a post-war story). I wish wed been able to provide more support for goblins as PCs. I wish wed gotten the scale right on the original map of Khorvaire. Most of these are practical things that I believe would improve the setting for other players & DMs. Theres other changes that are more about what I want in a world, but dont necessarily serve anyone elses needs. Id like the history of Galifar to have been shorter and a little more dramatic. Id like more restrictions on resurrection and more of an exploration of its impact on society. There are lots of other little details like this, but theyre more for my peace of mind than because they interfere with peoples ability to enjoy the world.
    http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-125/
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2013-06-02 at 06:23 AM.
    Camel's Handbook

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I see a messy break up in our past
    Well, in my experience messy breakups only really happen when both people still have strong feelings for one another.

I can see Roger still having powerful feelings for Mina. What might be the reason for the breakup? Would she have a problem with the extended separation from working on ships? With Roger's inability to effectively serve the House? Would she have trust issues with somebody who was constantly and unconsciously flirting with about half the women he meets?

Roger would find her loyalty to the House endearing, but probably also a bit tedious. He would certainly dislike the idea of being completely useless on the ships that Mina gets to work on, and by extension losing time with her. He isn't the suspicious type, and doesn't have a huge issue with separation with Audrey, so that would not be much of a point of contention from his perspective, just an unfortunate byproduct of the House rulers thinking themselves more important than everybody else.

That seems like it might be the biggest reason: Roger's distaste for the (in his mind) self-importance of the more powerful Lyrandars who run things. All the other stuff could probably be worked through, but Roger believing Mina to be working for people who only see her as a tool wouldn't be the sort of thing that Roger would be likely to keep quiet about, at least to her, and constantly being told that the people you work for (who are also your family) don't care about you would grate on anybody's nerves, and he probably couldn't easily be convinced otherwise simply by virtue of having been offered fewer opportunities by the House rulers because his mother wasn't in good standing when he was born. Seeing from birth such institutional nepotism and the punishment of children for their parents' misdeeds would put a sour taste in anybody's mouth, after all, and will certainly color your perspective on such an institution.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    ...snip...
    Yeah, we could run with that. I image in a lot of "You never understood how important it is to me" from both of them. Mina put House Lyrander first above Roger. Career and family are powerful ties that bind her. She had her years of rebellion during the war and has now found her place and, in her mind, grown up. Roger might flirt with what he calls freedom but to Mina's mind he's wasting his life singing for his supper when he could have so much more.
    Spoiler
    Show