Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread: The Biskmatar (please critique)
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
The Biskmatar (please critique)Biskmatar
"No matter what happens, even if you become the world's enemy, I'll be your knight." - Squall, the Lion-hearted
(annoyingly LN biskmatar)
Trained soldiers and guardians to their more fragile comrades, Biskmatars are powerful combatants that blur the line between magic and the mundane. While they offer little in magical power in their own right, they are trained and proficient with abilities that make the most out of a team-mate's spells.
Role: Front-line guardians and protectors, the biskmatar is an ally to mages and a bane to those who wish for an easy victory. The biskmatar functions best when a wizard or spellcaster stands by his side, providing support, and the wizard usually finds that his odds of victory increase as his relationship with the biskmatar grows.
Though weapon skill and defense are crucial to a biskmatar's worth, many of their skills and abilities rely on intelligence to function.
Alignment: Though biskmatars are usually lawful, they may be of any alignment. Chaotic biskmatar bodyguards hired by evil necromancers are terrifying rivals.
Hit Die: d10
Starting Gold: As fighter
The Biskmatar's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...
Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge [Arcana] (Int), Knowledge [History] (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Ranks per Level: (4 + Int modifier)
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special 1st+1+2+2+0 Arcane training, Enduring magic 2nd+2+3+3+0 Combat Style 3rd+3+3+3+1 Arcane Aegis (5') 4th+4+4+4+1 Determination 5th+5+4+4+1 Combat Style 6th+6/+1+5+5+2 Arcane aegis (10') 7th+7/+2+5+5+2 Elemental blade (1d6) 8th+8/+3+6+6+2 Combat Style 9th+9/+4+6+6+3 Enduring Magic (lingering) 10th+10/+5+7+7+3 Spell siphon (touch) 11th+11/+6/+1+7+7+3 Combat Style 12th+12/+7/+2+8+8+4 Arcane aegis (20') 13th+13/+8/+3+8+8+4 Elemental blade (2d6) 14th+14/+9/+4+9+9+4 Combat Style 15th+15/+10/+5+9+9+5 Enduring magic (All targets, +100%) 16th+16/+11/+6/+1+10+10+5 Spell siphon (close) 17th+17/+12/+7/+2+10+10+5 Combat Style 18th+18/+13/+8/+3+11+11+6 Arcane aegis (30') 19th+19/+14/+9/+4+11+11+6 Limit Break, Elemental Blade (4d6) 20th+20/+15/+10/+5+12+12+6 Ultimate aegis, Combat Style
All of the following are class features of the biskmatar.
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The biskmatar is proficient with all armor and with shields, but not tower shields. He is also proficient with all simple and martial weapons.
Arcane Training (Su): The biskmatar is trained in magical research and theory. He gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (arcane) and Spellcraft checks.
At 2nd level, the biskmatar's knowledge of magic allows him to count half his biskmatar class levels as a bonus to his caster level for one arcane or divine spellcasting class he belongs to. If he does not cast spells, then he gains an effective arcane caster level equal to half his biskmatar class levels. He also gains the arcane strike feat as a bonus feat.
At 4th level, the biskmatar may now take 10 to identify spells as they are being cast, regardless of stress or interference. When the biskmatar successfully identifies a spell and uses an attack of opportunity against the creature casting it, that creature takes a -4 penalty on concentration checks for 1 round.
At 7th level, when using the arcane strike feat and the elemental blade ability, the extra damage from arcane strike is the same damage type as the damage dealt by elemental blade.
Enduring magic (Su): The biskmatar has learned to make the most out of magical power loaned to him by his teachers and comrades. When any creature casts a spell that affects the biskmatar with a duration greater than 1 round, the biskmatar may spend an immediate action to increase the duration of that spell by 50%. This increase in duration affects only the biskmatar, not any other creatures affected by the spell, and does not stack with the benefits of an extended spell.
The biskmatar may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his level, but may only have one spell modified in this way at a time. If he wishes to apply this benefit to a later spell, then the duration of the previously enhanced spell is reduced to its normal duration (this may cause the spell to end immediately).
At 9th level, the biskmatar can spend one use of his enduring magic ability to grant the benefits of the lingering spell metamagic feat to any spell cast within 60' of himself. The spell's effects persist for a number of rounds equal to the biskmatar's intelligence modifier, or until the biskmatar chooses to use his enduring magic ability again.
At 15th level, the biskmatar's enduring magic ability affects all creatures subject to the spell, not only the biskmatar. In addition, 3 times per day, the biskmatar may choose to double the spells listed duration, instead of increasing the duration by 50%.
Combat Style (SU): At 2nd level, and again at every 3 levels after 2nd, the biskmatar chooses one of three combat styles to train in. Each time he chooses a combat style, he selects one ability from among those listed within that style. He may not select the same ability more than once, and may not select the same combat style twice in succession.
In addition, so long as he has chosen at least one ability from a given style, he gains the role focus of that style.
Commando Style Abilities
Commando Role Focus: The biskmatar treats his class level as his effective fighter level when qualifying for feats. The biskmatar and all allies within his arcane aegis deal +1 additional point of damage with any weapon they yield. This damage increases by +1 for every 6 hit die the biskmatar possesses.
Spoiler- Weapon Skill: Choose one weapon you are proficient with. You gain weapon focus (that weapon) as a bonus feat. If you already have weapon focus with that weapon, you instead gain greater weapon focus (that weapon) instead, regardless of your fighter level.
- Vitality: Constant exposure to harm has raised your tolerance to pain. You gain toughness as a bonus feat, and you gain a +1 insight bonus against spells that deal hit-point damage.
- Strategy: Gain one teamwork feat for which you meet the prerequisites. Once per day, as a full-round action, you can grant this feat to all allies within 30 feet who can see or hear you. Allies retain the use of this bonus feat for 1 minute, and do not need to meet the prerequisites of this bonus feat.
- Coordination: While the biskmatar and an ally are flanking an opponent together, they each gain a +2 insight bonus to their attack rolls against that opponent.
- Launch: You now gain the launch combat maneuver. As a full round action, you may attempt a combat maneuver check at -5 against any victim within melee range. If you succeeds, the defender is launched vertically 10' in the air, plus an additional 10' for every 5 by which he beat their CMD. To use this maneuver, the you must have your feet planted firmly against a surface which can support your weight. You may then leap up to striking range and perform a full attack action with a melee weapon, though you must forgo the attack at your highest base attack bonus. After your full attack action ends, the victim of your combat maneuver then falls to the ground, suffering the normal falling damage. You must be at least 11th level and have one other commando ability before selecting this ability.
- Status Attack: Choose any combat maneuver for which you have an "Improved" feat (such as improved sunder). You may now use that combat maneuver once per round as a free action after damaging an opponent with a melee weapon. You must declare that you intend to use this ability prior to the attack roll, and the victim of the combat maneuver must be the opponent you attack. If the attack misses or fails to inflict damage, then the attempt is wasted for that round. You must be at least 11th level and have one other commando ability before selecting this ability.
- Renzokuken: As a full-round action, you may charge any creature within 30 feet and make a full-attack action at the end of the charge. When doing so, you make one additional attack at your highest base attack bonus. This extra attack does not stack with haste or similar effects. If any attack misses the enemy, you take a cumulative -5 penalty on all other attacks in that action. After using this ability, you take a -2 penalty on any attacks you make for the rest of the round, such as attacks of opportunity. You must be at least 17th level and have two other commando abilities before selecting this ability.
Ravager Style Abilities
Ravager Role Focus: The biskmatar doubles the bonus damage dealt by his arcane strike feat. When the biskmatar or any ally within his aegis damages a creature with magic (excluding a magic weapon's enhancement bonuses), the defending creature takes +1 additional point of damage for every creature that has already damaged it in that round, since the defender's last turn. This additional damage increases by +100% for every 6 hit die the biskmatar possesses.
Confused by the wording? HD 1-5, 4 attackers: +0/+1/+2/+3 // HD 6-11, 4 attackers: +0/+2/+4/+6 // HD 12-17, 4 attackers: +0/+3/+6/+9
If you can think of a better wording, please let me know.
Spoiler- Focusing: The biskmatar adds his intelligence modifier to the caster level bonus provided by his arcane training ability.
- Infusing: While using the arcane strike feat with an attack that deals no elemental damage, you may choose to treat the arcane strike bonus damage as any of the following types: fire, acid, cold, or electric. If you are using a bludgeoning weapon, you may instead choose to deal sonic bonus damage.
- Drawing: The biskmatar can steal magical power from a target within 30 feet. This requires a spellcraft check (DC 10 + the target's hit dice + the targets constitution modifier). If the biskmatar succeeds, he immediately becomes aware of the lowest level spell or spell-like ability that the target creature can cast. This must be a spell with an elemental descriptor of [Fire],[Cold],[Acid], or [Electric]. The target creature loses one daily use (if at least one remains) of that spell, spell-like ability, or spell slot. On his next turn, the biskmatar may choose to spend a standard action to cast the stolen spell, but the DC's are calculated as if the spell was being cast from a wand (DC = 10 + 1.5*Spell's level). The biskmatar can only cast the stolen spell on the round immediately after stealing it. If the biskmatar uses this ability on a creature that has no uses of a suitable spell, or if the lowest suitable spell has a higher spell level than 1/2 the biskmatar's caster level, then this ability is wasted. The biskmatar may use this ability 3 times per day.
- Dispelling: When the biskmatar damages a creature while using the arcane strike feat, he may choose to forgo the extra damage provided by that feat. If he does, he may make a targeted dispel check against that enemy, just as if he'd cast dispel magic. He makes a caster level check as normal, but gets a bonus on this check equal to his arcane strike damage bonus. Using this ability wastes two uses of his enduring magic ability, but does not cause his enduring or lingering spells to end.
- Multitask: The biskmatar may now have two spells benefiting from his enduring magic ability simultaneously. In addition, the biskmatar gains a number of additional uses of his enduring magic ability equal to his intelligence modifier. You must be at least 11th level and have one other ravager ability before selecting this ability.
- Doublecast: Once per round, the biskmatar may spend a swift action to activate a spell completion or spell trigger item with a normal activation time of 1 standard action. The item must have a caster level less than half the biskmatar's own caster level. You may only use this ability immediately after you cast a spell, or activate a spell completion or spell trigger item. You may only use this ability a number of times per day equal to your intelligence modifier. You must be at least 11th level and have one other ravager ability before selecting this ability.
- Ravager's Rush: Whenever another creature casts a spell or uses an ability that gives the biskmatar a bonus to his attack rolls, damage rolls, or movement speed, the biskmatar may choose to take an immediate turn after theirs. He may not use this ability during a surprise round or before his first regular turn in combat. After his immediate turn, the biskmatar's later turns in the initiative order come immediately after the turns of the creature that provided him the bonus. The biskmatar may use this ability once per minute. You must be at least 17th level and have two other ravager abilities before selecting this ability.
Sentinel Style Abilities
Sentinel Role Focus: The biskmatar adds his intelligence modifier as an insight bonus to his AC and CMD while using the combat expertise feat or fighting defensively. While the biskmatar is using the combat expertise feat or fighting defensively, he and all allies within his arcane aegis gain DR 1/--. This damage reduction increases by +1 for every 6 hit dice the biskmatar possesses.
Spoiler- Taunt: With a successful bluff or intimidate check, the biskmatar can provoke an enemy to attack only him. The creature receives a +1 on attack and damage rolls against the biskmatar for 1 round per point of intelligence modifier the biskmatar possesses, but must succeed on a will save (DC = the biskmatar's taunt check) to attack any of the biskmatar's allies.
- Block: When using a shield or wearing gauntlets, the biskmatar gains a +2 competence bonus to his AC. This bonus is doubled while the biskmatar is fighting defensively.
- Resist: Choose one of the four following energy types: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. You gain resistance 5 to that energy type. For every 6 hit dice you possess, you may choose an additional energy type, and gain resistance 5 to that energy type.
- Break: You gain the improved sunder feat as a bonus feat, even if you don't meet the prerequisites for it. If you already have improved sunder, you instead gain the greater sunder feat. When attempting to sunder an opponent's weapon, your roll gains an additional +2 bonus.
- Strikeback: When an opponent makes a melee attack against you and rolls less than your touch AC, you may immediately make an attack against them, as though they'd provoked an attack of opportunity from you. You can only use this ability if you are actively aware of the opponent during the attack and only if they have no cover or concealment against you. You must be at least 11th level and have one other sentinel ability before selecting this ability.
- Cover: When an opponent attempts to attack an ally adjacent to you, you may spend an immediate action to make a combat maneuver check against that opponent. If you succeed, then the opponent's attack is directed at you instead of at your ally. Using this ability counts as an attack of opportunity, and you cannot use this ability if you have no more attacks of opportunity in this round. You must be at least 11th level and have one other ravager ability before selecting this ability.
- Mighty Guard: As a full-round action, the biskmatar can assume a stance that gives himself and all allies within his arcane aegis DR 10/-- and Spell Resistance equal to his level. Maintaining this stance is a standard action. The biskmatar may use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to his constitution score. When the biskmatar ends his stance, he becomes staggered for 2 rounds per round that he maintained the stance. The biskmatar must be at least 17th level and have two other sentinel abilities before selecting this ability.
Arcane aegis (Su): At 3rd level, the biskmatar gains the ability to radiate a protective aura over his allies. While the biskmatar gains a temporary bonus to his AC or saves, he shares that bonus with any number of willing allies within a 5' emanation around him. The biskmatar only provides this aura when under the effects of a spell, spell-like, or supernatural ability; his allies cannot benefit from the biskmatar's constant or permanent bonuses.
This ability only functions while the biskmatar is conscious and in his right mind; it ceases to function while he is confused, asleep, or suffering from a fear effect.
At 6th level, the radius of this emanation increases to 10', and it increases by an additional 10' every six levels after 6th.
Determination (Ex): At 4th level, the Biskmatar has learned how to better defend himself from enemies' attempts to control him. He gains a morale bonus against enchantment spells and effects equal to 1/4 hit dice he possesses.
Elemental blade (Su): Beginning at 7th level, the biskmatar has learned to infuse elemental power into his weapons. Whenever a creature or area within his weapon's reach is subject to a spell with an elemental descriptor (Acid, Cold, Electric, or Fire), he may spend an immediate action to draw a portion of that spell's power into his weapon. For a number of rounds equal to his caster level, the biskmatar's weapon then deals an additional 1d6 points of the appropriate elemental damage on a successful hit. The biskmatar can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his intelligence modifier. This additional damage doubles (2d6, 4d6, etc.) every 6 levels after 7th.
Spell siphon (Ex): Upon achieving 10th level, the biskmatar can benefit from spells that normally can't be used on a mage's allies. Allied spellcasters may cast spells with a range of "personal" or a target of "you" on the biskmatar as though they had a range of "touch" and target "one creature". Casting these spells in this way is more complicated than normal, and requires a spellcraft check to succeed. The DC of this check is 15 + double the spell's level, and the spell is lost if this check fails.
At level 16, allied spellcasters who succeed on their check may cast spells with a range of "personal" or "touch" on the biskmatar as though they had a range of "close".
Limit Break (Ex): At 19th level, the biskmatar has become a powerful guardian to his team and a devastating warrior to his enemies. Once per day, when the biskmatar would be reduced to less hit points than his constitution score, he may enter a limit-break trance as an immediate action. This trance lasts for 1 round per hit die the biskmatar possesses, or until his current hit points are equal to or greater than half his maximum hit points, whichever comes first.
While in this trance, the biskmatar gains a +2 morale bonus to his AC, skill and ability checks, attack and damage rolls, and saves. In addition, the biskmatar gains immunity to the staggered condition and gains the ferocity extraordinary ability, allowing him to continue fighting even while at negative health. Finally, while in this trance, the biskmatar does not suffer the -5 cumulative penalty when using renzokuken, may use ravager's rush once every other round, and may maintain his mighty guard stance as a swift action.
When the biskmatar's trance ends, he becomes immediately exhausted for 1d4 minutes, in addition to becoming staggered or unconscious if his health is less than 1.
Ultimate aegis (Su): At 20th level, the biskmatar has learned to share more than just his magical defenses with his allies. His arcane aegis now also applies to any temporary benefit he receives to his attack rolls, caster level checks, or weapon damage, other than his limit break. This includes secondary effects such as elemental damage or spells that increase critical threat range, but does not apply to constant benefits, such as weapons' innate qualities (keen) or elves' natural bonus to overcoming spell resistance.
Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-04-28 at 06:13 PM.
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
Re: The Biskmatar (please critique)
SpoilerExtra Elemental Blade (combat)
Magical StudySpoilerYou are an expert at extracting power from elemental spells.
Prerequisite: Elemental Blade class feature.
Benefit: You may use your elemental blade ability 2 additional times per day.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.
Expanded Magical StudySpoilerYou have learned the basics of magic, without official training.
Prerequisite: Minimum caster level 1, inability to cast arcane spells normally.
Benefit: Choose a 0-level spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, which you memorize. Every day, you gain three 0-level spell slots, which must be prepared in the same way that wizards prepare their first level spells. You may only prepare the spells you have memorized in these slots, and they are expended when cast, unlike wizard's cantrips. If you later gain the ability to cast arcane spells, you lose the additional spell slots, though you retain the spells you've memorized and may scribe them in your spell book or add them to your list of spells known. The DC for these spells is 10 + your intelligence modifier.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. When you do, you memorize 1 new 0-level spell, but gain no additional spell slots.
Arcane Assault (Combat)SpoilerYour untrained knowledge of magic has grown
Prerequisite: Magical Study feat, Minimum caster level 3rd, inability to cast arcane spells normally
Benefit: Choose one 1st level spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list which you memorize. Every day, you gain two 1st-level spell slots, which must be prepared in the same way that wizards prepare their first level spells. You may only prepare the spells you have memorized in these slots, and they are expended when cast. If you later gain the ability to cast arcane spells, you lose the additional spell slots, though you retain the spells you've memorized and may scribe them in your spell book or add them to your list of spells known. The DC for these spells is 11 + your intelligence modifier.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. When you do, you memorize 1 new 1st-level spell, but gain no additional spell slots.
Arcane Maneuvers (Combat)SpoilerYou have become a master of infusing magical power and brutal strength into your weapons.
Prerequisite: Arcane Strike feat, Power Attack feat
Benefit: While using the power attack feat, you receive double the bonus from arcane strike. While using both power attack and arcane strike, your melee attacks ignore the first 5 points of DR or Hardness that your target may have.
Extended Arcane Strike (Combat)SpoilerMagical power helps you overcome disadvantages when fighting strategically.
Prerequisite: Arcane Strike feat, Combat Expertise feat
Benefit: While making a combat maneuver, you may double the bonus from arcane strike, and add this amount to your combat maneuver checks. In addition, while using both combat expertise and arcane strike, your AC and CMD gain a deflection bonus equal to the extra damage provided by arcane strike.
Synergistic SpellcastingSpoilerYour magical weapon focus lasts longer than normal, allowing you to make stronger and stronger attacks.
Prerequisite: Arcane Strike feat, Intelligence 14 or higher
Benefit: When using the arcane strike feat, you gain the bonus for 1 round per point of intelligence modifier you possess, instead of only 1 round. If you use arcane strike again in later rounds, its effects stack.
Infusion of MagicSpoilerYou have learned to augment weakness in another's magic with your own power and knowledge.
Prerequisite: Caster level 5th
Benefit: With a successful spellcraft check, you may use the aid another action to help a comrade cast a spell. If you do, he gains a competence bonus on his effective caster level equal to your own. This bonus cannot increase any level dependent variables of the spell (such as damage or duration) beyond the spellcaster's hit dice, although the spell's caster level for other purposes (such as dispelling) may exceed this value.
If you know any metamagic feats, you may choose to instead spend a full-round action to aid a spontaneous spellcaster in this way, and apply the effects of that metamagic to their spell. The spell must still use up a higher level spell slot, as normal.
SpoilerSpells cast on you are harder to dismiss.
Prerequisite: Caster level 4th
Benefit: The difficulty to dispel spells cast on you increases by an amount equal to half your caster level. This effect only applies to spells which you wish to maintain, and does not prevent allies from dismissing enemies' spells cast on you.
Special: If you possess the Arcane Aegis ability, you radiate the benefits of this feat to all allies within the radius of your aegis.
- Join Date
- May 2012
Re: The Biskmatar (please critique)
This would make a great sidekick for the boss wizard of a campaign. I feel that determination is a little on the weak side though.
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
Re: The Biskmatar (please critique)
Well, at level 20, it's +5 vs enchantments. That almost brings his only bad save up to a good save
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
Re: The Biskmatar (please critique)
Giving this a bump. Would anyone like to see this as a PrC? I think that would make more sense mechanically.