Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Official OOC Thread for the Flying Cities of Ornys Steampunk Campaign

Ken Hafferty
    (when he's angry he goes by his full name, Kenneth Jacoby von Hafferty)

Race: Gnome ------- Class: Mechanist
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Deity: The Cult of the Machine

Str: (4d6)[4][6][4][6](20)
    Dex: (4d6)[6][2][5][5](18)
    Con: (4d6)[3][5][6][5](19)
    Int: (4d6)[6][2][6][6](20)
    Wis: (4d6)[3][4][1][2](10)
    Cha: (4d6)[1][3][2][2](8)

So it looks like I'm incredibly un-charismatic. Nice. We've got a grumpy, middle-aged elf mechanic who's pretty much fed up with his lot in life and ready to go slay some dudes.

Background: Ken left the city of Prada, where most of the elves live, because of his distaste for magic and his inability to conjure it. With his wicked intelligence, he saw opportunity to make a fortune in the flying city of Ysor. He set out, claiming to want to make a living for his family, and promised to return to Prada. However, his years in Ysor have corrupted him, and he now has no desire to share his wealth with anyone.
    Last edited by Malachi Lemont; 2013-06-04 at 07:13 AM.
    "Life is short and we do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us. So be quick to love, and make haste to be kind."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Official OOC Thread for the Flying Cities of Ornys Steampunk Campaign

Thanks for taking a second look. On the topic of the listed costs, there's a section near the beginning called Firearms in Your Campaign. This is an excerp, the bolding is mine.

"Commonplace Guns: While still expensive and tricky to wield, early firearms are readily available. Instead of requiring the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat, all firearms are martial weapons. Early firearms and their ammunition cost 25% of the amounts listed in this book, but advanced firearms and their ammunition are still rare and cost the full price to purchase or craft."

The next option has them at 10% of the listed price.
    If you aren't in over your head, how will you know how tall you are? ~T.S. Eliot

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present. ~Alice Morse Earle

Have you ever noticed that read rhymes with lead, and read rhymes with lead? Also read and lead don't rhyme. Neither do read and lead.

Avatar done by the amazing and clearly talented Alarra!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Malachi, those rolls are amazing. An 18 and no less than three 16s. Almost makes me wish I'd tried the roll version instead of point buy. But I know my luck better than that. :D

I'm pretty sure you can assign the rolls to the different stats as you wish, you don't have to be uncharismatic if you don't want to.
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-06-02 at 09:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Battlemage View Post
    Malachi, those rolls are amazing. An 18 and no less than three 16s. Almost makes me wish I'd tried the roll version instead of point buy. But I know my luck better than that. :D
    Why thank you. I didn't even know how the online dice rolls worked until now. I was surprised too. I thought the dice rolls were weighted or something. I guess it's the old beginner's luck. By the way, I'm not sure what my official class is, but it's going to be something strong, smart, and non-magical most likely. If I use magic, it'll only be to torture enemies, since I am, you know, evil.

Once again, thanks so much for being my mentor in this game. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
    Last edited by Malachi Lemont; 2013-06-02 at 09:49 PM.
    "Life is short and we do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us. So be quick to love, and make haste to be kind."

5. - Top - End - #35

I can't claim any mentorship, I'm not overly experienced with the rules myself.
    But the best way to learn is to use them.

Edit: Something strong sounds exactly what we need, we're missing a tough guy in the frontline so far.
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-06-02 at 09:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I reviewed all the D&D 3.5 classes, especially those considered "evil" and I didn't see any that fit exactly what I wanted. But here are 3 that might work for Ken Hafferty:

1. Inspector: (skilled)
    "Injustice is everywhere in the world, someone has to be there to oppose it, so long as there's a paycheck at the end of the day. Inspectors are problem solvers who are the antithesis of crime, even if a few criminal actions have to be performed to bring the unjust to justice." - D&D wiki

2. Miner: (skill-focused, item-focused)
    "Of all of the common occupations of the D&D world, being a miner is one of the most well known and dangerous. They must get materials from under the earth and fight monsters. They are pressured to become more powerful, and miners are specialized in having a companion for travel, skill bonuses, and other boons." - D&D wiki

3. Stonemelder: (moderate spellcasting, combat-focused)
    "Stonemelders are the engineers of the world, they design many of the things in the world of Cora, and are the primary magic item creators in the world. Stonemelders have the ability to project auras which benefit their group."

These each have their ups and downs: Inspector seems to have a focus on wits rather than magic, but my character doesn't really have a dedication to justice. Miner works well for Ken's dirty, unsavory appearance, but he doesn't exactly go down under and fight monsters. And stonemelder - well, I'm sort of hesitant to be something so blatantly magical, but it sounds awfully fun, although I'm not sure if it's allowed in this setting.

Any suggestions on classes? Feel free to recommend any others - these were just the first three that caught my eye.

Also, I have a quick question about the campaign in general. Are we all going to be working together against the NPCs, for the most part, or will the players be fighting each other the entire way?

7. - Top - End - #37

I might be confused here, but I don't think those are official D&D classes. D&D wiki has a lot of homebrewed stuff on it, I'd be careful there.

Unless specifically conceived otherwise, D&D campaigns are generally cooperative and not competitive. In regards to alignment you should probably clear it with Waitingnomad. The opening post has the following passage in it:

"CN and CG are encouraged (but not chaotic stupid). I donít really mind what you are as long as the rest of the party are of generally compatible alignment."

The two existing characters so far are NG and CG, so we'll have to see how it fits.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thank you once again. So, should I look into being one of the good classes - preferably Neutral Good, since the 2 other characters are also Good? I thought that by choosing Evil, I could add some variety to the mix, but apparently, variety isn't what we're looking for.

Also, do you know if Waitingnomad has given us a list of the available classes? Because I'm kind of confused about what's official and what's not. I just want to be a muscular mechanic / scientist who distrusts authority and eventually decides to go on an adventure, but is not usually the adventuring type. He uses magic only if he has to. Are there any classes like that?

EDIT: I did another google search, and I got a much smaller list this time: Are these the official classes?

Spoiler
    Show
    Barbarian
    Bard
    Cleric
    Druid
    Fighter
    Monk
    Paladin
    Ranger
    Rogue
    Sorcerer
    Wizard

I think I might go with fighter, but I'm still reviewing it. Man, those earlier classes sound cool. Oh well. I'll stick with the basics. What are y'all's classes?
    Last edited by Malachi Lemont; 2013-06-02 at 10:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Also, I have a quick question about the campaign in general. Are we all going to be working together against the NPCs, for the most part, or will the players be fighting each other the entire way?
    I must say, I am one for party cohesiveness; whether paragons of humanity or ruthless sky pirates, the tone fosters something of an all for one and one for all attitude. The adventuring party will trust each other with their lives, regardless of their overarching moral aim. Fortunately, due to the nature of this world, there is very little that represents Lawful Good, and the party is liable to swing in any moral direction depending on how you want to play it. However I do believe that they should stick together and watch each other's backs. Personally, I see CG as quite flexible, but I feel that it may make for a somewhat tense party dynamic if you seek to fully explore your alignment. That said, it would be possible to play a CG character in this setting as one who disagrees with, yet unhappily tolerates the more morally ambiguous actions of his compatriots, perhaps due to a strong belief in the importance of staying loyal to ones companions. I will leave this in the hands of the players; would your characters have a problem with a NE character as described?

As for class selection, the Alchemist class from PF (with the amendments mentioned earlier in this thread) looks to be pretty flavourful, with lots of tinkering around with explosives and madhat science. The magic associated with this class, such as it is, has been refluffed to more closely resemble the manifestation effect of the Auctors, and the same could potentially be done for other classes. Another class to consider could be the Artificer, who would also have a subtley different vein of fluff depicting his creations as a blend of technology and his own latent magical energies. Artificers are by far the most common form of magic users in Ornys, and are respected for their ability to work with Engine Technologies to create powerful nonmagical devices bearing extraordinary abilities. (They would gain Machinism as a first-level bonus feat). I must say I have not come across the classes you named before- it makes me wonder if they are in fact NPC classes, which may make combat difficult for you.
    Other classes I have found that may suit the setting include the Gadgeteer, the Mechanic (I believe another NPC class) and the rather fearsome looking Mechanist

And indeed you're right Battlemage, you can designate your rolled stats can to whichever abilities you wish. Maclachi if only I had your luck every time I rolled a character.
    Last edited by Waitingnomad; 2013-06-02 at 10:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Waitingnomad, I appreciate your help. I guess I'll go with mechanist instead of fighter. I can totally see my character being a mad scientist. And do you mind if I choose Neutral Evil for my alignment even though the other characters are Good?

11. - Top - End - #41

Waitingnomad, I appreciate your help. I guess I'll go with mechanist instead of fighter. I can totally see my character being a mad scientist. And do you mind if I choose Neutral Evil for my alignment even though the other characters are Good?
    I edited my comment fleshing this point out a little more, but again this is something I intend to leave largely up to the characters. I've encouraged CG and CN because they are flexible and adaptable, and depending upon how they're played this extends to a flexibility towards even to the alignment of others. I try not to treat morality as an objective concept, and so a CG character with a personal philosophy of general goodwill towards others may see that philosophy overridden or set aside for friendship, or ultimately more noble goals. Perhaps he sees his powerful and intelligent, but cruel and violent companion as a necessary evil in the quest for ultimate good. Perhaps he doesn't particularly mind, provided this cruelty is only directed towards criminals and evildoers, or perhaps he simply just sees friendship as more important than that. This all depends on how your allies wish to play their characters alignments. Variety is certainly encouraged, but not at the expense of the party.

Edit: There shouldn't be any problem with being a machinist, as it looks to be a class with a lot of flavour in this setting. However before you design a character based upon this class I would first like to tidy up the homebrew somewhat.
    Last edited by Waitingnomad; 2013-06-02 at 10:52 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Here, I'll explain: The reason I chose evil as my morality is not because I enjoy role-playing horrific things. It's because I wanted to surprise people whenever I did something good. If I originally declared myself as a good character, they'd just think, "Oh, he's following his alignment." Even the most evil characters still have difficult moral choices. Evil doesn't just come naturally to them. I wanted to explore the darker side of human nature and show that even in the midst of cruelty, redemption is possible.

But for now, I changed my alignment to True Neutral, because it seems like it would fit better with the rest of the party. Is that all right?
    Last edited by Malachi Lemont; 2013-06-02 at 10:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

I think there is a lot of scope for a NE character in this campaign. Depending on the way the other party members choose to RP their characters there may not be a problem with this.
    I must emphasise that whilst I have no issues with a NE evil character being a part of the party in this campaign, you should discuss this issue with Battlemage and see whether or not his character would be able to interact well with yours. You may need to provide a bit more information on your character, and exactly in what way he fits to his alignment, for Battlemage to get a good enough understanding of his nature as to know how Varian would respond to him. With regards to the flavour of the class I can envision a cold, calculating individual who perhaps enjoys killing his enemies a little too much, often displaying hints of psychopathic tendencies etc. Maybe Varian is the kind of character that will be ok with this.

One rule though; all alignments must be fully reflected in their characters. No evil 'in name only'.
    Last edited by Waitingnomad; 2013-06-02 at 11:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'll have more on my character tomorrow. I'm still undecided between True Neutral and Neutral Evil. I'll let Battlemage have a say in it. But for now, I'm going to bed.

15. - Top - End - #45

Update: This post has been updated
    Here you are, Malachi. The Mechanist. I've tidied up most of the formatting and grammar issues as well as added some fluff, and tweaked a few mechanics in order to try and balance it out a bit. It still isn't perfect, but its much more balanced than it was. Personally, any issue surrounding the mechanics of this class is, I feel, overshadowed by the vast potential of such a character within this setting. Everything about this class seems perfectly appropriate to the world of Ornys, and I think he will provide a very flavourful and interesting party dynamic. Please use the table provided on the original page to determine saves and BAB, and this posting as a reference for all other traits and abilities for this class:

The Mechanist
    Spoiler
    Show
    Homebrew Class: Mechanist

ďYou may say, it is impossible for a man to become like the Machine. And I would reply, that you never truly tried.Ē

Mechanist's are fascinated with the function of machines, obsessing over golems, constructs and other creatures animated through magic or artifice. Almost fanatical in their pursuit of knowledge many even replace their own body parts with mechanical appendages to enhance themselves and make them more fearsome in battle.

Adventures: A Mechanist typically travels in the pursuit of knowledge, searching for new ways to improve themselves and forever hunting for technology to salvage and incorporate into new systems for their use. They are driven by their hunger for information, and can be found either traveling alone, or with small groups of adventurers. Mechanists know that wherever there is adventure to be found, there is loot, and so too the potential to find some ancient technology or salvageable mechanical devices.

Characteristics: Typically quite solitary characters, Machinists are known to be removed and cold, with sharp and violent tempers. The mutilation of their bodies with mechanical enhancements and augmentations often leads machinists to be shunned by society, and as such Machinists often have trouble empathising with others and can often be stumped by social boundaries or the intricacies of social interaction.

Alignment: Mechanist's can be of any Alignment. Good aligned Machinists typically use their great understanding of mechanical prosthetics to perform incredible mechano-surgery on amputees and those who have lost limbs in unfortunate accidents or battle. They make fantastic doctors due to their knowledge of the human body and its processes, but this often leads towards a somewhat gruesome fascination with dismemberment amongst the more evil aligned machinists.

Religion: Sometimes, but rarely, atheistic, Machinists typically worship The Machine, subscribing to the school of thought that there is a Ďspirití within all mechanical devices, to which Mechanists attempt to attune themselves. Many believe that by replacing more and more of their body parts with mechanical appendages that they come closer and closer towards unity with The Machine.

Background: Machinists come from the great cities, and are often prodigous engineers or mechanists who became shut in, spending all their time tinkering with devices and unable to fit in with the rest of society. Mechanists can be found more commonly in the cities of Ysor and Brae.
    Races: Mechanists are often of human or gnome origin, but their number are also found amongst dwarves. Such species gravitate towards machinery, but it tends to be thee humans that take this the furthest, with the greatest deal of mechanical surgery.

Other Classes: Mechanists work well with any class possessed of knowledge and education, especially those involved in the field of artifice and engineering. They often shun simpler classes such as the loutish barbarians who they view as idiotic.

Associates: Few mechanists will ever willingly associate with those who seek to destroy technology and deprive the world of knowledge.

2+Int (x4 at first level); D8 HD
    Class skills: Appraise, Craft (Clockwork Construct), Disable Divice, Heal, Knowledge: All (taken independently), Use Mechanical Device, Machinism, Concentration
    BAB and Saving Throws can be found here. Ignore all other information given, and instead use that described in this post.

All of the following are class features of the Mechanist
    Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Mechanists are proficient with all Simple and Light Armour
    Energy Pool (Ex): A Mechanist makes use of an Energy to manifest his special abilities. The size of this pool is calculated by half their total Class levels + Intelligence Modifier.
    Turn or Rebuke Construct: A Mechanist possesses the ability to turn or rebuke constructs. This functions identically to a Turn Undead but only applies to constructs, living or otherwise, and is governed by the Int stat instead of the Cha stat.
    Machine Affinity: Mechanists possess a natural connection to the extraordinary properties of technology, and as such Mechanists of 6th level and above are able to use their turn attempts to Command Construct instead. Constructs of large size and above have a turn resistance of 5 that increases with each rise in size category.
    Bonus feat: The Mechanist gains Machinist as a bonus feat at first level.
    Clockwork Warrior: The Mechanist also gains Craft Clockwork Construct as a class skill at 2nd level. This is treated as the Craft Construct feat but can only be used to create clockwork constructs. A clockwork construct created with this skill has a number of HD equal to that of the machinist, a Dex score equal to half that of the Mechanist at time of creation, and a Str score equal to that of the Mechanist at time of creation +6. Creating a construct with this skill has no XP cost, and Mechanist must pay for all material components required in creation at a cost of 1000gp/HD.
    Machinism: In order to utilise the energy pool, Turn/Rebuke Construct ability and Machine Affinity abilities, the Mechanist must maintain a minimum number of ranks in the Machinist skill equal to half their class level +2, rounded up. The Mechanist may still use the Arms of the Mechanist without penalty if this requirement is not met.
    Arms of the Mechanist: The appearance of these arms differ from Machinist to Machinist, each often being heavily customised by their bearers and being as distinct to their owners as their owners are to one another. The Arms of the Machinist take the form of a pair of large mechanical appendages fused to the spine of their bearer, and can be retracted and collapsed when not in use to remain almost entirely hidden beneath clothing, should the machinist so choose. Any inspection of the Machinistís person quickly detects the appendages, but the presence of the ams are not apparent at first glance (DC 10 search check). The arms are capable of holding and manipulating objects, and may even be equipped with weaponry. However the appendages are not proficient in the use of such equipment, finding wielding them clumsy and awkward. As such, attempts to use these arms to hold a weapon suffer a -4 to attack. These arms possess a much greater strength than their owner, capable of lifting heavy objects with ease, and as such are treated as having a strength equal to that of their bearer + 6. The arms also enjoy a +10 bonus to attempts to grapple using the arms and are treated as if they has the improved unarmed strike feat for the purposes of attacking. Attacks with the arms deal 1d6 damage, and may make a full attack for double this, whilst provoking an attack of opportunity. At lower levels, a Machinist must choose whether he will make attacks with his normal arms or his machine arms, lacking the familiarity and fine control skills needed to move both simultaneously during the stresses of combat. At 6th level the Machinist gains a rudimentary control over the arms during combat, allowing him to make a second attack in the same round without provoking an attack of opportunity. This first attack is made as normal, with the second attack being treated as if it were made with a BAB of -4. The arms score a critical hit for a multiplier of x2, which increases to x3 at 6th level. At second level, a Machinistís improved dexterity and fine motor control afford a +5 enhancement bonus to all craft and Machinist checks.
    Charged Claw (Ex): Using one of his Charges from the Energy pool, the Mechanist can perform a normal melee attack with his mechanical arms and deal an additional 1d6 electricity damage by sending electrical charges along the arms. The Mechanist can choose to expend an additional charge as a free action to increase the electricity damage by 1.5.
    Weapon Focus: Mechanical Arms*: Weapon Focus: Mechanical Arms. The Mechanist gets +1 to Unarmed Attack Rolls made with his Mechanical Arms.
    Mechanical Advantage (Ex): The mechanist receives an Armor Class bonus equal to the Number of Mechanical Parts and Upgrades he has. His Mechanical Arms and every other Upgrade chosen from the Mechanist Upgrade section each count as one. Max +10 AC.
    Skull Drone (Ex): With a Successful craft check against a DC of 15 + HD of the creature, the Mechanist can remove the skull of said creature and outfit it to create a crawling Skull Drone. It counts as a Tiny Construct of level 1 with 4 Strength and 8 Dexterity. Its Base speed is 20 Feet. It's skills are Spot, Hide and Move Silently and gets skill ranks 2 + Int Mod per class level. The Mechanist can only control one Drone at Level 3. This raises to 2 at Level 8 and 3 at level 13. The drones are controlled telepathically by the Mechanist who is able to give them very basic commands. He can also see what the drones are seeing at any given moment, however, looking through the drone's eyes take absolute concentration and cannot perform any other action while doing so. Creating a Skull Drone takes 1d4 Hours. A skill drone has HP 6 and a hardness of 2.
    Power Surge At 4th level the Mechanist gains the ability to burn one point of their Energy Pool to make a power attack as if they had the power attack feat.

Mechanist Upgrade*: At 2nd level, and every 4 levels afterwards including 20, (6, 10, 14, 18 and 20) the Mechanist can choose one of the upgrades from the following list. These can be taken multiple times. These can also be taken instead of taking a general feat as the Mechanist would normally do.
    Mechanic Eye*: The Mechanist replaces an eye with a mechanical one. This eye grants +1 to Attack rolls made with his Mechanical Arms, and also improves the vision of the Mechanist. (Normal to Low-Light 60ft, Low-Light to Darkvision 120ft). The Attack Bonus stacks. He also receives a +2 to Spot and +2 to saves versus Illusions. This can be taken a maximum of two times (or however many eyes the Mechanist might have), unless he is upgrading an existing eye (increasing vision and additional attack bonuses).
    Mechanical Lung*: The Mechanist replaces one of his lungs with a Mechanical one, granting himself a stacking +2 Constitution bonus. This lung is also much more effective and doubles the time he can hold his breath. He also receives +2 to his Saves against poison and weather effects. This can only be taken twice.
    Mechanical Arms*: The Mechanist removes the soft fleshy tissues in his arms and replaces them with cold hard mechanics, giving himself a +3 Strength Bonus when using that arm. He also receives a +4 to Grapple checks, a +4 to climb Checks and the Mechanist can make attacks with that arm as if having the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. This must be taken once for each arm, with the bonuses stacking each time.
    Mechanical Legs*: Replacing his legs with stronger Mechanical ones lets the Mechanist now run at higher speeds. His base land speed is increased by 15ft. He also receives a +5 Bonus to swim and jump checks, and a melee kick attack that deals 1d8 damage. This must be taken once for each leg, and the bonus is not granted unless both legs are mechanical.
    Improved Power Cell*: Enhancing yourself is one thing, but utilizing yourself is another matter. The Mechanist decided to revamp his mechanical parts so that the energy flow is more efficient. He gains +5 to his Energy Pool, and his ranged attacks with any Mechanical Arms cause +1 more damage. This can be taken Multiple times but the damage increase doesn't stack.
    Mechanical Heart*: By crafting an artificial heart and implanting it into his chest, he is given the capability to bypass his normal organic heart should it fail. The Mechanist is immune to Death By Massive Damage, and in the event his hit points fall below -9 (causing death) the Mechanist may instead make a fortitude roll of DC 15 to restart his heart, immediately stabilising the Mechanist but exhausting his energy pool. The Mechanist may also dedicate a full round action to stabilise himself when in negative hit points.
    Armor Plating*: Placing Layers of metal beneath his skin increases the Mechanist's Armor Class by 2. He also gains resistance 5 to Fire, Acid, Cold or Electricity. This can be taken Multiple times, but taking this more than once has the effect of reducing base land speed by 5ft and carries a maximum Dex bonus restriction of +6. For each additional time Armor Plating is applied, land speed reduces by 5 and the max Dex bonus reduces by 2. Taking this upgrade does not count towards the Mechanical Advantage class feature.

High Sonic Drive (Ex): Using one of his charges from the energy pool, the Mechanist can create a beam of ultra sonic frequency that will cause 1d6 Sonic Damage per class level up to a maximum of 20d6 Damage at Level 20. The target must succeed a reflex save vs 10 + 1/2 Class Levels + Int Mod for half damage, or be dazed for 1 round. This counts as a ranged touch attack.
    Auxiliary Drill: At 6th level, the Mechanist affixes a vicious drill to her mechanical appendages, allowing a touch attack for 1d8 damage to be made against the subject of successful grapples as a free action.
    Mind of the Machine (Ex): The more Mechanical parts a mechanist has in him the stranger his brain and body becomes. He receives a bonus to his Will Save equal to the number of Mechanical Parts and Upgrades he has, but for each two points of increase, the Mechanist suffers 1 point of permanent wisdom damage.
    Flamethrower (Ex): Yet another gadget added to the mechanist's repertoire. now he can discharge a plume of brightly burning fire at the enemy, causing 1d6+2 Fire damage per Class level up to a maximum of 20d6+2 at Level 20. The target needs a reflex save vs 10 + 1/4 Class Levels + Int Mod for half damage. The target takes 5 points of continuous fire damage each round, Ref negates (DC 17). This is a ranged touch attack.
    Improved Arms*: The Mechanist Upgrades the arms upon his back, refitting them with better refined materials and adding built-in blades. The damage of the arms increases to 1d10+Str piercing. They also grant an additional +2 to Grapple rolls.
    Dual Arm Expertise (Ex): The Mechanist now can utilize both of his mechanical arms in using his abilities, like High Sonic Drive and the Charged Claw. This however comes at an increased cost, burning three of his Energy Charges. He can choose to burn two more to double the damage with each. Each separate attack needs to be declared before use.
    Temporal Stasis (Sp): Using one of his Mechanic arms, and expending one of his charges, the Mechanist can push a foe to be out of sync with the world. This effect works like a Slow spell. The save DC is 10 + Spell Level + Int Modifier. The Mechanist's class level determines the spellcaster level. By expanding two charges, the DC becomes 10 + Mechanist's Class levels + Int Modifier. This is treated as a touch attack.
    Energize (Sp): By Depleting one of his charges from the energy pool, the Mechanist gains a temporal boost that slows the world around him. He gains Haste.
    Acid Spray (Ex): Expanding one of his charges, the mechanist can shoot a Cone-shaped burst of acid from one of his arms, causing 1d8+2 Acid Damage per Class Level to enemies. Range 80 ft. Every enemy that is hit needs to make a reflex DC 15 for half the
    Maintainance (Ex): The Mechanist has become very adept at building and repairing his gear and upgrades. He even went so far as to automate his Mechanical arms. If the Mechanist is reduced below 0 Hit Points his will arms start stitching the wounds. If the mechanist has a healing kit the arms will use it. If he doesn't, the arms will stitch him up and heal him for 1d6 Hit Points. This can only be used once a day. All Craft checks take half as much time.
    Improved Skull Drone (Ex): Through trial and error, the Mechanist perfected the way to create the Skull Drones. They now are equipped with a small explosive device that can detonate, causing 3d6 force damage, whenever they are reduced to 0 Hit Points. Furthermore the drones now can jump onto someone, requiring a Touch Attack, and attack him then. Crafting of a Skull Drone only requires 2d6 turns to do. This is not subject to the bonus granted by the Maintenance ability.
    More Machine than Man (Ex): As the Mechanist replaces more and more of his human parts for mechanical creations, they become more resilient to pain and damage. A Mechanist receives 1/Damage Reduction per Machine Part and Upgrade he has.
    Material Upgrade: The Mechanist may switch out the metal of his mechanical arms for Improved Materials, and they may now be augmented by enchantments.
    Mechanical Perfection: At long last comes the final rite of the Mechanist. In another painful surgery he starts replacing his bones with metal.
    Mithral: Choosing this Material will grant the Mechanist a +2 Enhancement Bonus to Dexterity, +2 to Strength, +2 Damage to all Unarmed attacks, Damage Reduction 3/-, +2 AC and a penalty of -5 to Swim and Climb checks. The procedure is very painful though and so he suffers a permanent Malus of -2 to Constitution. Estimated Cost: 11,000 Gold.
    Adamantine: Choosing this Material will grant the Mechanist a +4 Bonus to Strength, -2 to Dexterity, +4 Damage to all unarmed Attacks, Damage Reduction 5/-, +4 AC and a penalty of -10 to Swim and Climb. The procedure is very painful though and so he suffers a permanent Malus of -4 to Constitution. Estimated Cost: 16,000 Gold.

On playing a Mechanist
    Intelligence and Strength are very important to this build, helpin to determine the Mechanist's energy pool and the skills, which are vital to the class. Constitution is also important as it helps to reinforce the Mechanist against damage by increasing his HP, although the Mechanist tends to rely on the high AC granted by his natural mechanical armour moreso than physical robustness. A decent Dex score can be helpful to the Mechanist when using his ranged attacks or attacking with firearms, but is typically of secondary importance to other stats. Will and Charisma tend not to play any significant role for the Mechanist, and they often share very poor Cha scores due to their tendency towards poor social skill and difficulty expressing empathy. Their appearance can also be seen as unpleasant to people, although some Mechanists design their mechanical appendages with exquisite and artistic detail which some can find very beautiful. As such, I think your current assignments of your rolled stats are perfect.

A Mechanist is typically best played in the front lines. His d8 hit die allow him to absorb damage that bypasses their typically high AC, which on top of armour worn over the body is often augmented by their robust mechanical enhancements and the natural armour afforded to them by their hard mechanical bodies. A Mechanist is also well equipped to deal damage in melee, being able to attack and grapple opponents with their mechanical arms whilst being free to utilise handheld weapons to dispatch their enemies. Their energy pool attacks can be used to augment their melee abilities, allowing them to deal out extra damage in the heat of combat.
    Last edited by Waitingnomad; 2013-06-04 at 01:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

On the matter of elves, I am really not that concerned and am more than happy to change it. The main reason why I chose Snow Elf is because I've used it before and it has become my go-to race for dex-based combat classes. I'll have a look at some other races and make a decision. I'll work on this character when I can, but my progress may be limited until after Wednesday due to exams.

17. - Top - End - #47

In regards to alignment, Varian does have a streak of vengefulness/ruthlessnes, but it's reserved for people who personally wronged him in a relativly big way. He's also very young and has never really experienced violence. So I think he would only be okay with cruelty/ruthlessness if he thinks the victim really deserves it. He is likely to be shocked at first either way, even possibly by his own actions when the time comes.

I think in general I'd prefer a neutral character that maybe tends toward evil than an outright evil character, but I can probably find some way for Varian to work with an evil character as well (if it's the supremely self-interested/ruthless kind of evil and not the puppy-killing-for-fun kind of evil). It might mean that Varian will never go above a business relationship with him, though, as I'm not sure he would befriend a person like that. Varian might try to stop you if you go too far in his opinion. Your character should probably also have some measure of loyalty to the group. I don't think Varian would be willing to deal with someone he thinks might swindle, backstab or betray the group at any unsupervised moment.

It's your character of course, so your choice, that's just my thoughts on how Varian would deal with it.
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-06-03 at 07:10 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Eriks mentality is kind of that of a wandering knight. Protect those who cannot protect themselves. So any evil acts are likely to draw his suspicion, and any bully tactics will immediately cause a very negative reaction with the sharpshooting gunsmith.
    If you aren't in over your head, how will you know how tall you are? ~T.S. Eliot

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present. ~Alice Morse Earle

Have you ever noticed that read rhymes with lead, and read rhymes with lead? Also read and lead don't rhyme. Neither do read and lead.

Avatar done by the amazing and clearly talented Alarra!

19. - Top - End - #49

There you are. I think a cold and ruthless character wouldn't have too much of a problem integrating with the group, and especially given your selected class I think there is humongous scope for really getting into your character, who has a very rich and flavourful place within this setting. Perhaps you can restrict demonstrating the more sadistic realms of your personality until you have already spent enough time with the group to form friendships, who may then be much more willing to let his behaviour slide in the name of their companionship. This could come from your character having reserved personality, who progressively lessens his self-restraint as he becomes more comfortable around his companions, no longer feeling the need to hide himself for fear of being shunned. Besides, there is plenty of room for puppy-killing-for-fun with my moustache-twirling villains.
    On a side note, are you sure that Elf is the most appropriate race for your character? Your ruthless, emotionally inhibited machine-augmented warrior seems somewhat inconsistent with this racial template. Humans are a more robust, ambitious race, and may be a more appropriate choice than the comparatively frail Elves, who by and large feel very uncomfortable around the technology of the new world- let along going so far as to incorporate it into their bodies in the ruthless pursuit of power and knowledge. As for his place in the setting, people are more likely to judge your character by his mechanical arms and augmented appearance than by his race.

@Gruzzle, Eriks seems to sound much more like a good-aligned character than a TN one, who would be more self serving than the character you described.
    Edit: My bad, I misread his alignment on your character sheet

@Krull, I know your pain. As Battlemage has decided to use a Human character, and Malachi's character choice may dictate that he do likewise, there may yet be room for your snow elf in this campaign. However from a purely mechanical perspective you may wish to take into account the importance of Charisma to the swashbuckler class.

To both Gruzzle and Battlemage, thank you for your responses on their approach to the alignment of their allies.
    Last edited by Waitingnomad; 2013-06-03 at 07:57 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

While sadly, I do not believe I've got time to participate in a game right now, I just wanted to post here that I love the setting you've created. Reading it has reminded me of a homebrew prestige class that fascinated me a while back: I do believe it would fit great with this setting with a little adaptation and cleanup of some of the rather more clunky bits:
    The Rose Gunner.

21. - Top - End - #51

I've updated my character sheet with a backstory and a portrait. Backstory has also been copied in the forum post for easier reading. If anything in the backstory conflicts with the setting or doesn't fit what you want from the campaign somehow, please let me know and I will change it.
    I might expand on some aspects more, but I think it gives a good overview for now.

I need to finalize my starting equipment (only have some basics on the sheet so far), and then I think I'm finished.
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-06-03 at 08:54 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Thank you Dragon, it means a lot to know that other people enjoy this setting as much as I have enjoyed creating it!

That Rose Gunner class looks very interesting, and I can see how it may be adapted to fit my campaign, although I would probably include it as a PrC designed more for ranged weapon users (such as Gruzzle's Gunslinger) than arcane full casters. Perhaps as a PrC that grants (but does not require) access to limited casting with a combat-oriented restricted spell list designed around direct damage and status effects. This may sit more at home with the theme, and open up the avenue for multi classing from classes with otherwise restricted options. Thanks for posting it!

If anyone likes the look of the Rose Gunner, then I will be happy to go about preparing it for use in this campaign.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

All right. I've decided on True Neutral rather than Neutral Evil. I'll do something genuinely good every once and a while, and I'll always look out for the team, but for the most part I'll be rather self interested.

About the race category: Is it possible for me to switch to a gnome instead of an elf? I might do that if it fits the setting better. But I could also be a human, like you suggested. The reason I picked elf was because I wanted to make a character who did not fit the common elf traits, and thus had been rejected by elf society and forced to make a living among humans and gnomes. But I can change anything you like.

24. - Top - End - #54

A gnome with mighty mechanical arms pounding his enemies to a pulp and using flamethrowers and other crazy gadgets. I love that idea. Be sure to get some goggles for style points.
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-06-03 at 09:02 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

@Battlemage, thank you for uploading your backstory! I enjoyed reading it and it really fleshes the character out, as well as giving me some material to work into the campaign for Varian to explore. A small point of note on the religion of the setting: most citizens of Ornys (particularly Praba, which bears the greatest ties to the old world of all the cities) are aware that other deities such as Bahamut and the like exist and so it would be more accurate to say that rather than not believe in them they choose not to worship them. However, much knowledge about the gods of the old faith has been lost over time and so beliefs about what such deities represent, or the religious practises of their worshipers, are often clouded. Also, is Varian still age 13 at the start of the campaign, or has he aged somewhat since leaving Praba? This seems very young! Anyway, I shall set to incorporating Varian into the campaign and think up some juicy plot points to expand upon for him.

@Malachi, such an elf may be apt for a tinkerer with a fascination for gadgetry, a zany alchemist or an able warrior or rogue with an eye for craft, but doesn't quite fit the Mechanist, who stretches their obsession with technology and machinery to the extreme; even for races known for their affinity with machines. A Gnome or Human would be much more appropriate, especially due to Gnomes being perhaps the most technologically inclined amongst all the races. I would be very happy for you to play a gnome :) Remember to look up the racial traits for gnomes and add them to your stats! As a quick rundown, the receive a +2 bonus to Con and a -2 to Str, as well as gaining various modifiers due to their Small size.

In that case, to Krull- the slot for party elf is now open, should you wish to fill it.
    Last edited by Waitingnomad; 2013-06-03 at 09:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Noted, I'll change the part of the story about the gods existing a bit.
    As to the age, Races of the Dragon states that spellscales reach adulthood / maturity at 12 years of age, so 13 would the equivalent of somewhere around 18 in humans I think. I can make him a bit older if you like.
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-06-03 at 09:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Fair enough, I am thinking of this in human terms. The issue was less one of physical maturity and more of mental maturity; do the races of the dragon mature psychologically much faster than normal humans, or would his attitude still resemble that of a child?
    Edit: If it is the latter, his being a bit older wouldn't hurt.
    Last edited by Waitingnomad; 2013-06-03 at 09:23 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Mentality wise I though if him as equal to a an 18-year old human. Basically just having reached adulthood but still young and inexperienced with many naive ideas about how the world works. The book doesn't say anything about the psychological development of Spellscales though. How about I make him 16 and we say that Spellscales mature slightly faster than humans but not to a huge degree.

Edit: Actually since the book recommends 12 + 1d4 starting age for starting spellscale sorcerers/barbarians etc one can assume that they do indeed mature faster psychologically as well, since I doubt a 13 year old barbarian would start his adventure otherwise.
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-06-03 at 09:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

For the elf matter, I am now looking more at either a halfling or a human, but haven't quite decided on which yet. At the moment I think I am going to start with a halfling, but I may then change that depending on how useful I think the extra feat and skill points will be for the character.

Also, thinking about progression of this character, would you have any problem with the 'Daring Outlaw' feat from complete scoundrel if we get far enough for him to qualify?

30. - Top - End - #60

@Battlemage, 16 sounds good to me. Expect the rest of the party to call you 'kid' though

I have also PM'd the OP of the old thread to see if he's interested in playing, but have not yet received a response. As it stands we seem to have filled most major party roles, with Battlemage's Sorcerer as charismatic arcanist and human artillery, Gruzzle's Gunslinger as ranged pow-wow and craftsman, Malachi's Mechanist as primary melee and mechanical specialist and Krull's Swashbuckler (is it safe to assume you're joining us?) as party face, skillsman rogue and secondary melee. Salt3d has also expressed interest in creating an Artificer, filling an additional craftsmanship role and adding a nifty party dynamic oriented around the construction and use of magical items. Assuming Salt3d joins us, this will place us at 5 party members with an additional slot being reserved for the OP. If either opts out, I will post to the recruitment boards in a few days time to locate additional players.

I will also be updating soon with a few points of advice on how to play this campaign. They are, of course, guidelines, but you may find them helpful in navigating this new and unfamiliar gameworld. It will cover which are the most important skills to consider, and how the gameworld copes with the large absence of certain classes (such as cleric, and how the lack of a primary healer is compensated for).

@Krull, I am fine with you taking the Daring Outlaw feat.

Update: Here we go, some advice on navigating the gameworld as described above:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Machinist skill can be considered as very important as it navigates most of the interaction players will have with the technology of Ornys. For classes that do not begin with access to this skill, a feat must be expended to acquire it. As a general rule it can be said to cover most vaguely magical/extraordinary/supernatural mechanical craftsmanship, and is well worth investing ranks in if you have it. That said, it isn't necessary for the whole party to have it, so don't feel as if you must take it or be placed at a disadvantage; most encounters involving this skill can be navigated by allies if you yourself lack ability in it.

The Shiphandling skill is used to govern how well an individual is able to pilot an airship under their command, and knowledge rolls concerning airshipmanship (perhaps the most convoluted word ever to grace the skies). You can use it to boast about your expertise in the sky and to better understand whether or not you're getting ripped off when you come to haggle over airship parts (this skill provides synergy with bluff and sense motive for rolls that govern such technical know-how). Our resident Swashbuckler begins play with Shiphandling as a class skill, and so doesn't need to buy into it in order to operate an airship. As such, it may be sensible for the party to nominate a single individual (probably the Swashbukler) as 'pilot' for the most part, and so it is not necessary for the whole party to buy into the skill, or invest significant ranks in it should they do so. However it may be valuable for more than one party member to be capable of piloting an airship in case the main pilot is away from the helm during emergencies and the like. For the purposes of piloting airships, some larger and more complex vessels have a minimum shiphandling requirement in order to pilot them.

Healing: As paladins and clerics are incredibly sparse in Oryn, with the exception of the fanatical priests of the Order, healing magic is far from commonplace. As such, the Heal skill gains a greater role in maintaining the wellbeing of a party. The Heal skill is also significantly more useful than in normal D&D games, with technology having progressed to provide more comprehensive and advanced healing kits which can be used to provide first aid in the field. Healing potions tend to be cheaper, and Artifex/Opifex of healing are also available, largely capable of replacing the Cure X Wounds spell. Wandguns of Cure X Wounds are also available, although designed as specialist weapons to combat the undead rather than as a healing tool. Heal is also the skill that governs the complex surgery involved in installing mechanical enhancements and prosthetics, and is thus an important skill for the Mechanist.
    Last edited by Waitingnomad; 2013-06-03 at 10:30 AM.