New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Story Issue: Is 20% of the population high enough to kill?

Quote Originally Posted by SethoMarkus View Post
    This is precisely what needs to happen, though. Or rather, the OP/GM needs to be open to the possibility of the heroes coming up with a third choice. Otherwise, why even play? In a (super)hero campaign, I certainly would not want to face a "everyone dies or you hand in your hero card" scenario.
    Well not everyone dies as you said, the ones left MAY die but that is not a sure thing.

So with the two choice option, the players actually choose the campaign they face afterwards, both are not happy scenarios but both will have unique challenges.

One will have alien invaders overtaken the world with the remaining humans trying to band together and ultimately will try to overthrow the aliens maybe?
    I would imagine the world to look somewhat similar to defiance (tv show) minus the aliens in the city^^

The other would be a world nearly empty of humans with supervillains threatening the few remaining population centers that banded together after the catastrophe.

In both campaigns the players will (most likely) have a high interest in, because it was their decision that shaped this new campaign.
    It shows them that their decision matters and have consequences... I would love to take part in such a campaign as a player, so I donīt see it as an end but a beginning
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2013-06-11 at 08:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Nothing is saying that the players won't choose one of those two options, and I agree with you that the players should face the consequences their actions have on the world. It is important to show that the players have agency. However, that is the exact reason I think a third option should be allowed. Note, I don't think the GM should come right out and say "hey, guys, there's also Option C, where everyone is happy and you have ice cream."

It may just be me, but I feel that forcing a decision based on only the 2 options, and disallowing any other solution, is a bit railroady. It takes away the agency that you want to create.

The most important thing, I guess, would be communication. If that's the style campaign the players want to be in, great. If the players want more open-ended solutions, that's great also. As long as the players are having fun, there's no right or wrong way. I might be guilty of forgetting that as well, in my previous posts.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's probably worth mentioning that the OP had the session five days ago.

You still there, OP? How did it go?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.